• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Which Client do you use?

Which client do you mostly use?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No BS about it. Ultima Online isn't attracting any new players and that's a direct result of the CC client being totally outdated.

We have another client that uses the gamebryo engine which is the same used in Rift. The Devs haven't unlocked the powers of the EC client nor added the kind of high resolution graphics to Ultima Online that could attract new players.
We can talk more about it in next weeks UHALL thread "What happened to UO? Where is $%# is everyone?" :popcorn:

We already got a post today about from one player on UHALL about how he's quitting and giving away his stuff because the Ultima Online shards are "ghosttowns".

You think it's going to get better? Let's continue to do the same thing over and over expecting a different result.:rolleyes:

Ultima Online still has alot of potential but it's being held back by what is almost a 20 year game engine. :stretcher:

If they dropped the CC client tommorrow all I would have to say to CCers is "Good riddance". You've held the game back for long enough.:cheerleader::flame:
A more direct and identifiable cause of lack of new players would be people like yourself bashing the game on its own forums.

Nice job bashing the game even in your sig.

You dont think potential new players come here to check things out? What do you think happens when all they see are its own players whining about the graphics?

*shakes head*

Mitzlplik_LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
The thing about the EC + Pinco's is that ... yes, I know, I've said this a million times, but ...

The EC should NOT require an add-on to be useable. And with the EC, that's pretty much the case.

I use the EC if I'm out doing PvM because, well, the CC's targeting system sucks. Not that the EC's doesn't suck in different ways, but overall, if I want to target something, I can do it in the EC better than in the CC. However, I use the CC for anything else I'm doing because the EC is just... well, crap. It's hideous looking. It's trying to be World of Warcraft in ways it should not be. I can't stand slotted backpacks, I can't stand straining my eyes to see what the hell I've got in my backpack if it isn't a fuller-sized object. Don't get me wrong, Pinco's makes it more useable, but only in certain areas. Other areas still suck by great amounts.

I don't know. The EC has potential. It's had potential since it first released as the KR client (ugly as sin graphics, I don't care what the blind folks have to say). But it's severely untapped potential. And there's exactly one modder doing anything to make it significantly better -- my apologies to any other modders out there. Thing is, Pinco may someday stop updating or stop playing, and at that point, EA is farily well screwed as far as the EC goes, because I know a great many folk who have said that without Pinco's, the EC is unplayable. In large part, that's fairly true.

So I guess my challenge to EC + Pinco's users would be: Turn off Pinco's and really play the EC. Not just turn it off for 10 minutes and decide to fall back on the crutch. Seriously play the EC exclusively, and then tell me you don't feel like you're on the same side of the argument as those who get told "Play the CC without UOA."
I`m sorry but I have to say this....

Since the EC should not require an add on....LIKE UO ASSIST.............. OK,I got nothing after that,guess that says it all.

Shakkara

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dermott already answered that,so I won`t reiterate. I am thinking alot of the people (not including you) have tried the EC many moons ago and still think today its the same abomination it was yesteryear.

Wrong.

I just have to laugh at the jabs the graphics take,when in truth they are taken straight from the 2d client.

When you go bash people, make sure you READ THEIR POST.

I've already been using the EC for years. I quit the game because of the discontiuation of 3D and because of its replacement by KR, the most horrible client ever because of the item artwork. Nothing in the backpack could be identified. It was impossible to see if an item was on the ground or if the smear you were looking at was part of the terrain. Everything was a total blurry mess. Etc etc...

xCatax

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Classic client = Uo
Instead of investing resources in uo 3d etc they should have been improved the 2d client and im sure there are toons of people that would love this .

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Really? How would you know?

Aside from some tamables and a few other insignificant creatures...... nothing is different. So until you amass enough time in the EC.... you shouldn`t speak out of turn.

I have spent plenty of time playing BOTH clients.

Only thing different is I have cast aside my hate blinders and actually gave it a real try and came out of it with a different perspective compared to what I was preaching before.

BUT I am done with this thread....

Play in the gimped version.... have fun and shadup.

I`ll do the same.
Mitzlplik, I played dual client, the CC with UOA on one side, the EC, so I could have good macros, on the other side since UOA won't work with two CC clients at the same time. Set your screen up, the same way with the CC & EC side by side and compare them side by side. If you still feel they look the same then see your optometrist dude, you've got serious vision problems.

Last edited:

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Let's not make this personal, OK?

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Which client do you (mostly) use? Why?
It'd be very interesting if Mythic chose to release some actual, accurate data about our Client usage. ( Have they ever done so?)
I play the EC because I don't care about graphics and I just want a big game window (1920x1080, simply because that's my native resolution), a good UI and user experience.
While the CC has the better graphics (just models from the Original Client & T2A), this outdated piece of software can't deliver any of the three things mentioned above.
Simple choice...

BTW, such polls are quite pointless because the stratics community is just a small fraction of the actual player base and thus these numbers don't represent anything.

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play the EC but hate it because I see CC written all over it. The graphics on both clients are hideous compared what we had in KR.

Kingdom Reborn was beautiful. Applauds to the Devs who worked and created the art assets. I loved it!

KR may not have been the end all be all but it was a step in the right directions and blows anything we have today out of the water. KR >EC>CC.

EC client is nothing more than a stable version of KR (plus more feature with Pinco's) without the high resolution graphics. EC has the CC graphics!:wall::coco:

The UI on the EC on the other hand is awesome. I love it because of all the work Pinco has done to it.

EC UI blows CC out of the water. There's no comparing the two.
hehe yeah an EC with KR models would be a dream now. however since the EC ist stable it is a good client, but nothing for the eyes, where are we now when KR wouldnt be disabled, a dream *zZZz*

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
BTW, such polls are quite pointless because the stratics community is just a small fraction of the actual player base and thus these numbers don't represent anything.
I'm pretty sure there isn't a reason to assume average Stratics user and average UO player (former, current, on/off vets all included) are two very different persons. Thusly this poll is approx as pointless or pointy as polls about..stuff tend to be? At time of writing this 70 players have expressed their views. I'd guesstimate that is around 0.5-1% of people who have recently been active on OSI. This makes a pretty healthy sample group for any poll really.

Needless to say, Mythic doesn't care about such results, they get extremely accurate data about this directly from server side of things.
.....Buuuut seeing some occasional numbers about this can be pretty fun and/or enlightening for the community, no?

Last edited:

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hehe yeah an EC with KR models would be a dream now. however since the EC ist stable it is a good client, but nothing for the eyes, where are we now when KR wouldnt be disabled, a dream *zZZz*
Kingdom Reborn Art with Pinco UIs and I'd be in heaven right now!:cool:

KR should have been just the beginning. It's hard to fathom that art is just sitting somewhere.:sad2::wall:

Kingdom Reborn Artwork was beautiful!

Could some of the artwork have been made even better..sure absolutely. The point is...it was a step in the right direction and it looks 10x better than anything we have today.

Last edited:

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Classic client. Looking for a longer time on EC gives me headache besides the fact, that it is not really a beauty and the icons of stuff in containers are too small.

Lug

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play CC.

I hoped for a high res version of the CC like the hi-res graphics saphreenia*(sorry for the mispelling) designed in the past and posted somewhere on stractics. The devs needed to hire her on the team. I think if she were to do what she wanted with UO graphics our little game wouldnt be so little! What she did not only made the game look better but kept UO's spirit intacted from a graphical perspective in my opinion.

I forced myself to like UOKR for a longtime. I posted pics here on stractics hoping to get more people on board with it, but in the end UOKR just couldnt complete with the CC for my game play needs at the time. Plus to me it wasnt recieving updates fast enough - it seemed forgotten by ea at times. So I decided to stop beta testing and headed back to the CC.

EC might be better then UOKR now, but I will not waste my time on it. I'm happy playing the CC.

flappy6

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i cant even move in the EC, the lag is crazy or skipping what ever you wanna call it,maybe if i was just sitting at the bank.........

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I can run three instances of EC on my computer and notice zero lag.

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I vote Classic Client.
Other should have never been done in my opinion.
For those of you squaking about graphics holding back UO, let me just say
MINE CRAFT 9.8 million users to date :)

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For those of you squaking about graphics holding back UO, let me just say
MINE CRAFT 9.8 million users to date :)
Oh gods... someone else is throwing facts and reality at them... their gonna go ever lovin' ape again ... :facepalm:

Last edited:

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh gods... someone else is throwing facts and reality at them... their gonna go ever lovin' ape again ... :facepalm:
Sorry but the polar bear behind the bars looked like he really wanted the marshmallow!

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
We can all just get along...

Last edited:

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:facepalm: Comparing games that are free to games with subscription fees.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Yeah... I know. It is what it is. This comes up every few weeks. We all get passionate, flail about, vote on polls and shake our heads and never understand the "other guys".

The UO team does a great job of catering to us all. That is how it has to be.

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When they turn on KR graphics or get some high resolution into the game then you can say there catering to us all.:wink:

The Dev Team has catered to the jurassics and that's why the game is suffering from attrition. Eventually the catering to the jurassics is going to lead the Dev Team to unemployment lines.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play CC.

I hoped for a high res version of the CC like the hi-res graphics saphreenia*(sorry for the mispelling) designed in the past and posted somewhere on stractics. The devs needed to hire her on the team. I think if she were to do what she wanted with UO graphics our little game wouldnt be so little! What she did not only made the game look better but kept UO's spirit intacted from a graphical perspective in my opinion.
Not sure if I ever saw these.. did anyone happen to save them?

Last edited:

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I play CC.

I hoped for a high res version of the CC like the hi-res graphics saphreenia*(sorry for the mispelling) designed in the past and posted somewhere on stractics...

I think you are talking about this THREAD

And there is Her website

Last edited:

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I mostly use the EC.. But I do use the CC sometimes. Especially if I'm on my old laptop.

I wish we had the old KR graphics as well.
I think having both clients available to cater to the players taste is cool. I mean.. it's all UO right?

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When they turn on KR graphics or get some high resolution into the game then you can say there catering to us all.:wink:

The Dev Team has catered to the jurassics and that's why the game is suffering from attrition. Eventually the catering to the jurassics is going to lead the Dev Team to unemployment lines.
You keep on pushing for those awesomely popular KR graphics!

Those were so amazing that I think subs would quadruple in the first 10 minutes after they were turned on.

KR graphics ftw!

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I try the EC every so often, but they still haven't fixed the issue that I have where I see the grid of the backpack down the whole page. So, I primarily use the CC.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The thing about the EC + Pinco's is that ... yes, I know, I've said this a million times, but ...

The EC should NOT require an add-on to be useable. And with the EC, that's pretty much the case.

I use the EC if I'm out doing PvM because, well, the CC's targeting system sucks. Not that the EC's doesn't suck in different ways, but overall, if I want to target something, I can do it in the EC better than in the CC. However, I use the CC for anything else I'm doing because the EC is just... well, crap. It's hideous looking. It's trying to be World of Warcraft in ways it should not be. I can't stand slotted backpacks, I can't stand straining my eyes to see what the hell I've got in my backpack if it isn't a fuller-sized object. Don't get me wrong, Pinco's makes it more useable, but only in certain areas. Other areas still suck by great amounts.

I don't know. The EC has potential. It's had potential since it first released as the KR client (ugly as sin graphics, I don't care what the blind folks have to say). But it's severely untapped potential. And there's exactly one modder doing anything to make it significantly better -- my apologies to any other modders out there. Thing is, Pinco may someday stop updating or stop playing, and at that point, EA is farily well screwed as far as the EC goes, because I know a great many folk who have said that without Pinco's, the EC is unplayable. In large part, that's fairly true.

So I guess my challenge to EC + Pinco's users would be: Turn off Pinco's and really play the EC. Not just turn it off for 10 minutes and decide to fall back on the crutch. Seriously play the EC exclusively, and then tell me you don't feel like you're on the same side of the argument as those who get told "Play the CC without UOA."
I've done it and it's still as usable if not more so than the CC with UOA.

Mitzlplik_LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Oh yas.

This is very close to what I'd like to see when playing an " enhanced client"
I am thinking that no one uses the zoom option in the EC,at least the ones who complain about bad graphics or pixelation. Tap the zoom out button a cple times and its nice and crisp. I am also thinking that a very small percentage of people who say they try the EC ( and hate it) do not put any time into it or figuring it out or tweakin the miriad of settings it offers. Instead just fire it up,look for 5 minutes and log out. I see lots of comments on other threads about wish it had this or that and..... it does already,lol. Perfect example.

As far as that pic goes.... zoomed out just a tad beyond default..... looks just like it.

And as for lag from another poster up top..... play with your settings.... unless your on a 900mgz p3 than nevermind. I play Siege as well and I can run 5 accounts at the same time. Helps alot when no ones around for a circle.

Widow Maker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mitzlplik, I played dual client, the CC with UOA on one side, the EC, so I could have good macros, on the other side since UOA won't work with two CC clients at the same time. Set your screen up, the same way with the CC & EC side by side and compare them side by side. If you still feel they look the same then see your optometrist dude, you've got serious vision problems.
You just didn't know how to operate multiple clients with multiple UOA's. It's very easy

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I try the EC every so often, but they still haven't fixed the issue that I have where I see the grid of the backpack down the whole page. So, I primarily use the CC.
This is a video driver issue. Make sure that you have a clean install of the EC as well as the latest drivers of your video card. If you're still having problems, send a Bug Report with the problem and your video card model and drivers used. However, a simple video card driver update will most likely solve this issue.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am also thinking that a very small percentage of people who say they try the EC ( and hate it) do not put any time into it or figuring it out or tweakin the miriad of settings it offers.
There you go again thinking. Gee just how long do I need to look at something to know for a fact that I do not like the way UO looks (graphics/paperdoll).

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There you go again thinking. Gee just how long do I need to look at something to know for a fact that I do not like the way UO looks (graphics/paperdoll).
It's a need that group has to place the blame on us and not on their cherished Enhanced Client, for our not liking the EC.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How? I always get an error.
From what I've heard of it. it's apparently an illegal third-party program that makes UOA work with two clients. The default UOA will not work with two clients and there is no option given with UOA to change that unless it's really buried somewhere deep & dark in the menus and I've missed it.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

So the third party (used to be illegal) program needs a new illegal third party program to work more than once. That seems pointlessly complicated. And all of this to use the "superior" client. Mmmhmm.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

So the third party (used to be illegal) program needs a new illegal third party program to work more than once. That seems pointlessly complicated. And all of this to use the "superior" client. Mmmhmm.
The CC has less bells & whistles than the EC but it does indeed have the superior look & feel. With the two side by side on a widescreen monitor that does really stand out.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I'll be using the CC until such time as I no longer have the option. I just don't like the looks of the EC. As far as function, I've happily relied upon only the functions built into the game itself (since 1998) and have never used any outside program - not even UOA. Maybe I'll create a new character named "Jurassic". ;)

Gospel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The CC has less bells & whistles than the EC but it does indeed have the superior look & feel. With the two side by side on a widescreen monitor that does really stand out.
Sorry but what qualifies you to judge which client ""feels" better?

It's laughable how many people refuse to use the EC based on complaints that are remedied by checking a box in the options in the default UI. How many times have I read that people can't stock vendors or trade with players or see the items in their bag on the EC so they don't play it? 3 clicks would turn all your bags into legacy containers identical to the CC ones, albeit scalable so it's even easier to view their contents.

So many people who zoom in and out looking for that crisp, clean, ancient CC look, completely overlooking the obvious fact that the graphics do not adjust with the zoom. There is a "sweet spot" for getting clear graphics on the EC, explained thoroughly in the EC forum, had you taken 5 minutes to look into it before casting your judgement.

To my knowledge, the only thing the CC does better than the EC, except the possible preference of graphic quality, is running scripts and looping UOA. I have played both clients for years each, and that is the only real advantage I can see the CC having. The rest of the complaints with the EC are all in the mind of the users, and all of them have a solution, should you put more than 10 minutes of standing in Luna into it.

As for the graphics issue, I can understand that. Visuals in many ways define a game and the positive or negative emotions we feel when looking at the screen are in a very real way affected by this. In my opinion, the EC does indeed need a graphical overhaul, and I don't think it's unreasonable to imagine there's a compromise point to be found that would please both parties.

As for the rest of your complaints though, you only have yourself to blame. You didn't learn to play UO in a day, and it's ridiculous you could judge a new client in that amount of time.

I look forward to your trolling and terrible arguments.

Status
Not open for further replies.