• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Which Client do you use?

Which client do you mostly use?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Which client do you (mostly) use? Why?

It'd be very interesting if Mythic chose to release some actual, accurate data about our Client usage. ( Have they ever done so?)

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I myself mostly use the Classic Client. Reasons for this are purely aesthetic ones. In my eyes, most all mobile objects on EC look pretty bad and do extremely bad job fitting into the world. Meanwhile. graphics of Classic Client have their own highly undeniable timeless charm. Classic Client reminds me of extremely well executed AAA quality SNES game of early 90's. Meanwhile, EC reminds me of sloppily done shareware game off mid 00s or so. Latter was born an uglier baby and simply ages with much less grace.

Since UI of (modded) EC has tons of undeniable potential, I've made a couple of serious enough efforts of trying to get used to it. No luck. Because of the visuals, having to look at UO running off EC is simply highly unpleasant experience for me.

Spiritless

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
EC.

Used to be a staunch CC supporter. Went out of my way to try the EC for a few weeks. Haven't any desire to switch back due to the numerous little touches that bring many small conveniences you could expect to find in modern games to UO.

I initially felt the same way about the EC graphics, but honestly I was used to them in a week and maybe less. I find looking at the CC's graphics pretty weird now.

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play the EC but hate it because I see CC written all over it. The graphics on both clients are hideous compared what we had in KR.

Kingdom Reborn was beautiful. Applauds to the Devs who worked and created the art assets. I loved it!

KR may not have been the end all be all but it was a step in the right directions and blows anything we have today out of the water. KR >EC>CC.

EC client is nothing more than a stable version of KR (plus more feature with Pinco's) without the high resolution graphics. EC has the CC graphics!:wall::coco:

The UI on the EC on the other hand is awesome. I love it because of all the work Pinco has done to it.

EC UI blows CC out of the water. There's no comparing the two.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Enhanced Client.

KR was my favorite graphically but, well... The fans killed that.

Classic Client just is too small on my screen anymore and just isn't functional enough.

erreth

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use the CC about 99% of the time. The only time I use the EC is when doing mibs and I can barely stand looking at the screen to do that. Once its time to move my haul to my house it's back to the CC. Ohh I guess I have used the EC a few times to place a tricky house or keep.

To me the EC just looks wrong, and as old as the CC is I think a new player would have to think it looks better than the mess that is the EC.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Option for both was very intentionally left absent. I'm of the mind everyone can pick one of the two in their heart o hearts;p Why have a poll option that isn't about making a choise hmhm. Tis' not hard to trick oneself to some grey shaded " ahh I use them both:) " - feel good reply,even when there is no real need for that!

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One client (the CC) is holding the entire game back and "continued suppport of the classic client is UO's mortal wound".

If UO was flooded with people then I wouldn't have a leg to stand on but the CC client and the EC in it's current state Ultima Online is unable to attract new players.

The reason the EC is in the sorry shape it's tailor made to attract the CC users to make the switch.

I'd rather see ALL of the CCers hit the road and have a chance at attracting new players by bringing the EC client to full froth than continue having 2 clients.

I'll be breaking out champagne if the day ever comes where the decision is made to trash that ****ty CC client.:gun:

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
^
While I'm sincerely impressed by the amount of apparent bittrnerss, blame and passive-agressive approach you manage to harbor to people not liking the same things as you, I much hope the thread remains pretty civil;p Dis the client not the people.
" Stop liking the things I don't like! Go away!!!:( It is YOUR fault "

I much agree that having to support two clients is a terrible situation to be in though. Specially for a dev team with such limited recourses. It is borderline surreal how UO dev team(s) have had to pay mind to two clients ever since year 2000. Wasn't a huge deal back when UO was sailign among flag ships of EA's fleet I guess..but year of our lord 2013 when them beans need to be counted very carefully @ EA Mythic,..it is a grim situation,for sure.

Last edited:

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If we had a client that could bring in new player perhaps we wouldn't be in a situation where we have a Dev Team with such limited resources.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
For me there is the EC and nothing more.
Once I switched, I couldn't look back anymore. The EC graphics may be ugly, but it beats the CC in functionality by miles.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If we had a client that could bring in new player perhaps we wouldn't be in a situation where we have a Dev Team with such limited resources.
I'd love to hear how exactly it is that this hypothetical unchained EC that arises from ashes once pesky conservative CC suppoerters have all passed away starts bringing hordes of new players in? Is it the nice, flashy ring in the very etmylogy of " Enhanced Client" Or is it the beautiful graphics? Or do they download UO trial and/or subscribe upon hearing of EC's exceptional UI?

Potential in EC's UI is quite undeniable for battle hardened UO vet. For a new player giving trial a try, I can only imagine how indimitating and confusing it all must look. CC's UI is much more restricted, much more simple and much less scary for a completely new player. By the time some of the EC's more advanced mid combat macros CC just can't handle( without UO Assist anyway) become relevant, new player isn't that new player anymore.

Last edited:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Your poll is really misleading and 2 more options should have been put in there.
  1. CC + UOA
  2. EC + Pinco
Nobody uses the EC without MODs
Closing down any Client will be UOs death stroke.
EC with a choice of graphics (CC/EC/KR) would go a long way to help convert CC users and make EC users happy.
There are somethings that even EC + Pinco can't do that still requires CC + UOA, filling BODs and the dress macro are the only things I use UOA for and yes I know that the EC has a dress function so that leaves the BODs and the graphics choice.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Your poll is really misleading and 2 more options should have been put in there.
  1. CC + UOA
  2. EC + Pinco

Closing down any Client will be UOs death stroke.
EC with a choice of graphics (CC/EC/KR) would go a long way to help convert CC users and make EC users happy.
There are somethings that even EC + Pinco can't do that still requires CC + UOA, filling BODs and the dress macro are the only things I use UOA for and yes I know that the EC has a dress function so that leaves the BODs and the graphics choice.
actually my UI provides a way to auto-fill bods :p

Ashlynn_L

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Poll results on this forum have always been tainted by the input of those who no longer play the game.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is it as easy to use as UOA and can you download that part only? You have done a great service for the UO playerbase but the major flaw is I find no documentation on how to only apply parts of you MOD without all the rest and it is extreamly hard for me to look at the EC for any long period of time. Any way you can fix the Graphics with a MOD?

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You really need to dedicate a couple of weeks to creating a list of all the features you've added, a brief description of what they do, and where to find them Pinco. :)

EDIT: And yes, can you improve the EC graphics?

Last edited:

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd venture to guess a large percentage of those who say they'd quit if the CC was shelved would pick up the EC because there is no other choice. Idle threats..sure some would make good but other people just love Ultima Online and would make the switch rather than not play UO at all. Yeah Yeah I know...you'll say you never make the switch but just wait...:p

For starters get some high resolution graphics on par with KR or better and then advertise. The only way I found out about KR was by reading wikipedia Ultima Online where they had screenshots. Seeing those High Resolution screenshots what got me playing UO again...then they pulled the plug on KR.

A few years ago it was the "Vast Majority" that played the CC client and only a small percentage played the KR/EC. Today I'd venture to guess it's much more even.

UO would have to advertise and get some exposure if it had some high resolution graphics. Any product needs exposure but you can't advertise something that looks like **** and expect people to come to it even if it has great content/gameplay.

Anyone ever see that commerical Hawkeye Pike did about Ultima Online? He made a brilliant video about all the things you could do in Ultima Online...something like that for starters on the website or top of the list on Youtube but it has to have good graphics/high resolutution or else people won't take another look. Hawkeye Pike had alot of really great ideas about UO and he understood the big picture. The last time Hawkey Pike popped his head in here all he said was "have they done anything with the graphics yet?.....answer nope and off he went and he hasn't been heard of since.

UO has the content and gameplay but the game looks like **** because we have graphics from right out of Ultima VIII: Pagan circa 1994 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ultima_VIII_-_Lithos.jpg

No KR was not ever advertised. UO wasn't even on the EA website for how long!?

Some steps need to be taken to get Ultima Online going in a positive direction. The EC client/Gamebryo is a powerful game engine and it hasn't been taken full advantage and that's what they need to do for starters.

Last edited:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'd venture to guess a large percentage of those who say they'd quit if the CC was shelved would pick up the EC because there is no other choice.
We could say the exact same thing if the EC was shelved. You are %200 WRONG so please get off you high horse. Both are here to stay and IMHO if you do not like it than go find another game and let the rest of us play UO as we like. Stop trying to shove your BS down everyones throat.

Reactions: S_S

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is it as easy to use as UOA and can you download that part only? You have done a great service for the UO playerbase but the major flaw is I find no documentation on how to only apply parts of you MOD without all the rest and it is extreamly hard for me to look at the EC for any long period of time. Any way you can fix the Graphics with a MOD?
I don't know how it works the UOA bod filler, but this is pretty easy too...
- Auto-Fill Bulk Order Deed : Automatically targets all the items required to fill the bod.
Make all the requested items, open the Bulk Order Deed, press "Combine this deed with the item requested." then trigger this action (preferably with an hotkey) and wait until the bod is filled. It will automatically ignore "Insured" and "Blessed" items.
NOTE: all the required items MUST be in your main backpack (no sub-containers).
You really need to dedicate a couple of weeks to creating a list of all the features you've added, a brief description of what they do, and where to find them Pinco. :)

EDIT: And yes, can you improve the EC graphics?
I can't change the grahic from the UI, I know how to mod the client, but it's against the TOS and I'm not a graphic so it can't be done :p

if you want to know all the features of my UI, there is alread a huge documentation about: HERE

Last edited:

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO would have to advertise and get some exposure if it had some high resolution graphics. Any product needs exposure but you can't advertise something that looks like **** and expect people to come to it even if it has great content/gameplay.
If a gamer rates content and gameplay higher than graphics sure he'd try UO. I just insist on clean quality graphics, doesn't matter if their cartoonish or state-of-the-art, all the graphics need to be are clean and well done. I'm not alone in that. Give me clean and well done graphics to look at while I'm playing and enjoying great content and I'll play for years. UO is a fine example of such a game.

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No BS about it. Ultima Online isn't attracting any new players and that's a direct result of the CC client being totally outdated.

We have another client that uses the gamebryo engine which is the same used in Rift. The Devs haven't unlocked the powers of the EC client nor added the kind of high resolution graphics to Ultima Online that could attract new players.
We can talk more about it in next weeks UHALL thread "What happened to UO? Where is $%# is everyone?" :popcorn:

We already got a post today about from one player on UHALL about how he's quitting and giving away his stuff because the Ultima Online shards are "ghosttowns".

You think it's going to get better? Let's continue to do the same thing over and over expecting a different result.:rolleyes:

Ultima Online still has alot of potential but it's being held back by what is almost a 20 year game engine. :stretcher:

If they dropped the CC client tommorrow all I would have to say to CCers is "Good riddance". You've held the game back for long enough.:cheerleader::flame:

Last edited:

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We could say the exact same thing if the EC was shelved. You are %200 WRONG so please get off you high horse. Both are here to stay and IMHO if you do not like it than go find another game and let the rest of us play UO as we like. Stop trying to shove your BS down everyones throat.
/signed

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Option for both was very intentionally left absent. I'm of the mind everyone can pick one of the two in their heart o hearts;p Why have a poll option that isn't about making a choise hmhm. Tis' not hard to trick oneself to some grey shaded " ahh I use them both:) " - feel good reply,even when there is no real need for that!
I did make a choice, I chose to use both because I have both as an option. The CC is what i am used to and gives me that old feeling of thrills and chills (lol). and I use the EC when i need to get down to bidness. I love both clients and will continue to use both as long as that is an option.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't change the grahic from the UI, I know how to mod the client, but it's against the TOS and I'm not a graphic so it can't be done :p
Bummer... , that might have cured the look part of the EC's look & feel problems.

Last edited:

Mitzlplik_LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
What I can`t figure out is why ppl keep saying the graphics suck.... They are graphics derived straight from 2d,so they would (in theory) pull 2d`rs towards 3d. Thats why we got the crappy (2d)graphics,so ppl with lower end machines can run the EC. Otherwise we`d have KR graphics.....which would be awesome. But aside from a very small number of creatures and tamables..... its exactly the same. :coco:

That arguement,at least for me is straight up invalid.

Shakkara

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
3D > EC > 2D > KR

Purely from a usability aspect. I don't care much unless the graphics are really hideous, like KR. Couldn't make out any object on the ground due to the horrible blurry poopsmear that was everywhere.

I do, works fine. YES it could be better, but I don't think a different UI is the holy grail here. Only thing I have a really big problem with is finding the right corpse on the floor when there are already 50 million things on the ground, but to my knowledge there is no mod for that. And I HATE the targeting system, can never find the right monster to target...

Last edited:

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Only thing I have a really big problem with is finding the right corpse on the floor when there are already 50 million things on the ground, but to my knowledge there is no mod for that.
You can set the object handles to Corpses Only and Pincos has an option that has corpses you have already opened NOT appear when you press Ctrl-Shift again.

Lord Lew

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use both depending on my needs, but am finding myself using pincos EC more than not. If I'm just running in to check on something, ill boot the CC to avoid the house lag.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Actually, I play EC without the mods. Pinco's got a bit too cumbersome for my tastes. No offence intended.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I only use the CC with UOAssist. I have UOA for all of my 5 accounts. I tried the EC once and found I did not like the paper doll and the look of my avatar in game. I never tried it again and I have no interest. The CC runs butter smooth on my system and displays the world of Britannia as I know and recognize it.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I like the CC, and I have no problem at all with those who prefer the EC (unless they're suggesting I leave the game because of my preference) *cough*

Anyway, I don't believe the EC graphics are going to attract new players; and unless EA has plans to invest a ton of money to develop a brand new client with modern graphics (let's not hold our collective breath), I think "live and let live" will have to do.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I use the EC 99% of the time.

The only thing I EVER use the CC for anymore is to trade with people who insist on using the CC or to make broken staircases.... since you can't do it in the EC. Once they fix that I don't think I'll ever go back to the CC.

There are a few things in the EC I'm not all together fond of but for the most part with Pinco's UI it's 100x better than the CC ever was and with my 42" HDTV for a monitor the scrolling in and out and ability to make my playwindow as large as I want keeps me using the EC.

Mitzlplik_LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
3D > EC > 2D > KR

Purely from a usability aspect. I don't care much unless the graphics are really hideous, like KR. Couldn't make out any object on the ground due to the horrible blurry poopsmear that was everywhere.

I do, works fine. YES it could be better, but I don't think a different UI is the holy grail here. Only thing I have a really big problem with is finding the right corpse on the floor when there are already 50 million things on the ground, but to my knowledge there is no mod for that. And I HATE the targeting system, can never find the right monster to target...
Dermott already answered that,so I won`t reiterate. I am thinking alot of the people (not including you) have tried the EC many moons ago and still think today its the same abomination it was yesteryear.

Wrong.

I just have to laugh at the jabs the graphics take,when in truth they are taken straight from the 2d client.

Last edited:

GreywolfUK

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
99% of the time I use the EC with Pinco's UI, about 1% of the time I use CC mainly for house decorating as the Circle of Transparency etc is better in CC than in EC, plus sometimes load up CC for nostalgia trips.

Mitzlplik_LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
99% of the time I use the EC with Pinco's UI, about 1% of the time I use CC mainly for house decorating as the Circle of Transparency etc is better in CC than in EC, plus sometimes load up CC for nostalgia trips.
I will definately give ya that. Circle of trans definately looks alot better in 2d. Wish pinco or Ea could give us the option of exactly how big the CoT should be, kinda like the option 2d has.

I`m not ignorant bout 2d,played it for years and for a long while I was a staunch CC supporter.

I dare any one of you to seriously try the EC with Pinco`s. Not just DL it and load it up,try it for 10 minutes and say " yup! it sux!"

Because I really can not see how some one could choose to do so much manually if they had a feasible option that had the SAME GRAPHICS... (cept for a handful of creatures) and can do so much more with little to no effort.

If any of you gave it an HONEST try and actually tried to make it work for you....... you`d be all done with 2d and all the 3rd party apps it takes to make it current.

I don`t want to hear about graphic differences because they are so small it is hardly worth mentioning.

I totally agree with the sentiment that supporting 2 clients is part of the deathnell of UO.

I find it amusing sometime`s that I open Uhall and see posts like "wish UO had this....or that" and I`m all like..... " Ummmm HELLO!!! IT DOES!!!!"

GTFO of the stone age.

The 90`s was..............

20 years ago.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The thing about the EC + Pinco's is that ... yes, I know, I've said this a million times, but ...

The EC should NOT require an add-on to be useable. And with the EC, that's pretty much the case.

I use the EC if I'm out doing PvM because, well, the CC's targeting system sucks. Not that the EC's doesn't suck in different ways, but overall, if I want to target something, I can do it in the EC better than in the CC. However, I use the CC for anything else I'm doing because the EC is just... well, crap. It's hideous looking. It's trying to be World of Warcraft in ways it should not be. I can't stand slotted backpacks, I can't stand straining my eyes to see what the hell I've got in my backpack if it isn't a fuller-sized object. Don't get me wrong, Pinco's makes it more useable, but only in certain areas. Other areas still suck by great amounts.

I don't know. The EC has potential. It's had potential since it first released as the KR client (ugly as sin graphics, I don't care what the blind folks have to say). But it's severely untapped potential. And there's exactly one modder doing anything to make it significantly better -- my apologies to any other modders out there. Thing is, Pinco may someday stop updating or stop playing, and at that point, EA is farily well screwed as far as the EC goes, because I know a great many folk who have said that without Pinco's, the EC is unplayable. In large part, that's fairly true.

So I guess my challenge to EC + Pinco's users would be: Turn off Pinco's and really play the EC. Not just turn it off for 10 minutes and decide to fall back on the crutch. Seriously play the EC exclusively, and then tell me you don't feel like you're on the same side of the argument as those who get told "Play the CC without UOA."

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dermott already answered that,so I won`t reiterate. I am thinking alot of the people (not including you) have tried the EC many moons ago and still think today its the same abomination it was yesteryear.

Wrong.

I just have to laugh at the jabs the graphics take,when in truth they are taken straight from the 2d client.
The graphics may have started out as 2D but then the DEVs had to mod them to work with the EC so no they are not the same. ECGraphics are basterdized versions of the UO 2D Graphics. Sorry if you are to blind to see that. The MOBs are totaly different too. So plz do not try and BS us that they are the same.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
the circle of transparency thing in the 3d client is terrible
the player walking/riding animation is unwatchable - it looks like they're gliding instead of walking
and the spell animations/effects block so much of the screen that you can't even see what's going on - it just looks like a giant white ball of light after a few fields and spells go off at the same time
I don't know how anyone could pvp under those conditions

Mitzlplik_LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
The graphics may have started out as 2D but then the DEVs had to mod them to work with the EC so no they are not the same. ECGraphics are basterdized versions of the UO 2D Graphics. Sorry if you are to blind to see that. The MOBs are totaly different too. So plz do not try and BS us that they are the same.
Really? How would you know?

Aside from some tamables and a few other insignificant creatures...... nothing is different. So until you amass enough time in the EC.... you shouldn`t speak out of turn.

I have spent plenty of time playing BOTH clients.

Only thing different is I have cast aside my hate blinders and actually gave it a real try and came out of it with a different perspective compared to what I was preaching before.

BUT I am done with this thread....

Play in the gimped version.... have fun and shadup.

I`ll do the same.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.