• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What this game needs. . .

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I love player events alot more than EM/Dev made events.
Rewards from event are ok but best reward I get is time spend with the community.
Insted of waiting for someone to make event, make some event :)
The game is a little slow at the moment, as we wait for new loot, now on TC.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tbh, I think (and hope) the new loot system can actually be beneficial to Siege´s PvP. Like Agra-Lem said:

As it is now, the few spots that offer good gear drops are hot spots for PKs.
With the new Global loot system more PvMers and merchants get a better shot at farming more and better gear which (again I hope) will lead to more vendors selling good gear parts for a decent price.

So if a PvPer loses his gear he can just go and spend 200-300K on 6 pieces and some jewelry to get his LRC, LMC, resists, stat boosts, regens, FC, etc and won´t have to spend any time farming it.

Time will tell but I actually think the new loot system can work for the PvPers if done right by the farmers/merchants.

Honestly, while im glad its going global (and op's notion that global loot was that goon, black rain's idea is nonsense, its was EVERYONE'S idea) because its just nice to not have to be tied to a few small areas, I don't think the loot change will do much other than make pks have to run around more to find marks.

Shame style loot is just too scattered 99% of the time in a game that basically requires that you have certain stats on your stuff. Really it's just caster jewelry/shields. A usable melee weapon is basically unheard of, usable melee jewels also super super rare and while armor can sometimes be usable, it's often just not as good as specifically imbued suits. Itemization in this game is just kinda borked IMO.
I do hear tell that one property stuff is dropping more often, and if thats the case, then this WILL be a good thing for us. Getting ssi jewelry and no other mods alone would be a real blessing for warriors.

The trader quests will only have an impact on the seas (but at least that's a positive), as every non fence quest will be run via moongate and people probably will rarely be leaving the GZ. It WILL be easier to fund towns though, which will be nice.

And since I highly doubt VvV will even come out in this pass, I doubt the publish will change life for siege all that much.

As for pvp... insurance is not the answer as was already pointed out. It just creates power inflation, and needing those fringe improvement uber gear bits (camping navery for weeks on end trying to get a slither etc) would probably be much more annoying than losing your stuff and having to imbue a new suit. I for one would close my account on day one, and that would be it for me. Insurance was why I left regular shards, and is the cause of many of the over all problems this game is currently facing, like content that requires 100 years to grind out for example. That artificial slowing is in the game because of irreversible power creep. They can't let you advance quickly because then they would need more content.

I DO think that more avenues of non gear loss pvp other than the areas would be a great thing for them to focus on.

Speaking of content, to the OP's point I agree. I too tend to get a wild hair about UO and get fired up to play only to fizzle out within a month because there's just nothing to do. New stuff is either a boss I can't fight with generally useless drops I don't care about, or a grind I usually don't have a ton of interest in. They have been really quite bad about adding new quality content for years now. Sadly I cannot see that ever changing at this point. Large areas specifically designed for pvp encounters with no loot rules would be great, and I think many non regular pvpers would get into them, sort of how champ spawns were initially operated.

Really this game, and more specifically this shard are just kind of fubar. For siege to run optimally we really would need our own designer who can set drop rates (which should be MUCH higher for rare stuff), and fend off tram changes from creeping onto our server. It's still the best UO going, but it could be SO much better with just a few tweaks.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What we need are more EMs or players holding more events on a regular basis. Not this once on a weekend once in a blue moon junk. Personally I think it's bad enough that the UO community has to resort to creating their own events because the devs don't want to worry about it or whatever, but even that's part of what makes UO great. Also rewards for participating in events that are actually worth something instead of some inscribed decoration.
I personally prefer content you can take at your own pace, so no one gets left out, and it's not just a one day thing. I think EM events are great, and should happen as often as possible, but static content additions are more valuable IMO in terms of giving people something to "do".

Thegirlyouloved2hate

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
So I re-upped for all of about an hour over the course of a couple days recently.

Found all my favorite housing locations were taken, no biggie, found another nice spot.

But discovered while I LOVE the classless, skill based system, there's just nothing to do that I haven't done before. Content is severely lacking, granted there's some event or something going in, but it's one thing at one moment of time, do it for a couple hours and ho-hum back to the grind.

They need to take a page out of blizz's book and Cataclysm the entire world. This would give some awesome new life to this game I think. I don't even need new monsters or anything, just mix up the world, change where all the spawns are, new landscapes, etc. Force me to explore once again to find out where everything is.

Just my .02, but of the past 2 times I've re-upped I haven't lasted more than a week or two. My nostalgia for UO will never wane, it's hands down the best MMO ever. I wish more developers would copy UO instead of WoW, but c'mon, let's get some serious content in here, pipe dream I know because it's mainly in 'maintenance mode' until it dies, but I can still dream about it.

Wish I would have stayed longer.
-H
a Name well remember and I will never forget dueling you till I ran out of regs..on my Tailor :heart: I found a post you made about it a month ago.I guess that is why I am here now.the post is years old but the memories are still freash in my mind :heart:

Thegirlyouloved2hate

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
The vets, especially FrejaSP, are at fault for the low shard population.

What this shard needs, is a better community that increases, rather than decreases, the shard population. I always go against the grain. So I don't really care about being liked or disliked. My self value doesn't revolve around what others think or feel about me, as FrejaSP's self esteem does. I have fun either way. But many other new players are not this way.

The shard population could be just 1, me, or 1000, and either way I'll be happy. But having 1000 other players makes for a funner climate of pvp and competition. I love competition.

Bo will chime in here and talk about "I haven't seen you around".....probably because I work 70-80 hours a week and don't have much time to spend on this game, how about that??? So my freetime is very valuable. I don't allow people to waste it.
The one thing I do applaud you on is self reliance and not needing the approval of anyone else. That just shows you have great self worth nothing wrong with that. For years I only played with and spoke to ppl mostly in my Guild.

Dodger

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Didn't read any of the replies or posts, but what this game needs, wait which game? Chess needs more chicks, checkers needs less gay dudes, uo needs less regurgitated crap, more funk. Less hate, more funk, less asshats, a better vibe, petra.

Dodger

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Didn't read any of the replies or posts, but what this game needs, wait which game? Chess needs more chicks, checkers needs less gay dudes, uo needs less regurgitated crap, more funk. Less hate, more funk, less asshats, a better vibe, petra.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
SP needs less vets, more n00bs
True, but what the shard vets need to do is to recruit shard newbs. It's how it's always worked. People have either had bad experiences (years ago) on Siege or have heard the rumors as to how tough it is to play on Siege (which always seem to be false anyway).

I wish that the Siege housing rules had gotten more players to play here as opposed to just working up for enough gold to drop a plot and never been seen again. It sounds good on paper, but in reality, all it did was hurt the active Siege population by limiting the available housing spots...la

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Siege need less :thumbdown:players and more :thumbup1: players :devil:

Thegirlyouloved2hate

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Some people like the new lands others don't go there. Bringing back overland spawn is a great idea...get people out wandering again. The thing is even with GC, unless you see people you tend to get the feeling you are a player in a single person game. Alot of people log into Siege enchanted with the idea of "old school" UO, work up a char and eventually leave because they don't have enough interactions to keep them into the shard. I saw that with Gilfane...people just filtered out after a couple of months and stopped logging into the game. Maybe it's just that Siege is the last stop for people in the game ??
"Maybe it's just that Siege is the last stop for people in the game ??"
No...But as far as EA or OSI is concerned I think that may be true. When I left EA/OSI back in 2003...I never thought I would see the UO of 1999 with mass populace but that just is not so.Also I never had my ass schooled so hard in pvp as I did back in 2003. I thought I came from a bad ass shard ...:) none the less there "other forbidden lands" that may not be named. with the noraml populations of any where around 900 -1500 a day , it depends.
I think SP does get the last of the OSI players coming there to feel nostalgic and hoping for more interaction, sadly since EA or whomever never gave SP any love there are other lands where the creators give lots of love to communities . I will always come back and read here as I do on Battle Vortex which is now something else. but I doubt I could log on without feeling bitter sad. Good luck to those of you not Knowing what you missed. I think its in the knowing that makes it too hard to log on.

Cherish Firekiss

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Kael

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Maybe it's just that Siege is the last stop for people in the game ??"
No...But as far as EA or OSI is concerned I think that may be true. When I left EA/OSI back in 2003...I never thought I would see the UO of 1999 with mass populace but that just is not so.Also I never had my ass schooled so hard in pvp as I did back in 2003. I thought I came from a bad ass shard ...:) none the less there "other forbidden lands" that may not be named. with the noraml populations of any where around 900 -1500 a day , it depends.
I think SP does get the last of the OSI players coming there to feel nostalgic and hoping for more interaction, sadly since EA or whomever never gave SP any love there are other lands where the creators give lots of love to communities . I will always come back and read here as I do on Battle Vortex which is now something else. but I doubt I could log on without feeling bitter sad. Good luck to those of you not Knowing what you missed. I think its in the knowing that makes it too hard to log on.

Cherish Firekiss
I am all too familar with those not to be named lands Soul Mate :)

Thegirlyouloved2hate

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I am all too familar with those not to be named lands Soul Mate :)
I wonder if we ever ran into each other or played with each other. It is very funny some ppl that hated me here on SP and did not know who I was sure loved to game with me off SP :p too funny.

Thegirlyouloved2hate

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
The players get older and more mature.
Yes Freja some have matured in a lovely way. and others not so much. I watch and read more than I speak. oddly enough I have a very good and vivid memory. Makes for interesting observations :)

I hope all had a good Holiday. Cheers

Cherish Firekiss

Thegirlyouloved2hate

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Sorry but no thanks, want to play WOW, go play WOW. Loosing stuff is a part of UO.
I played WOW 2 times on PvP serveres. PvP where you risk nothing and can't chat with your enemy say me nothing. I just want life back to the roads and the forests of Britainnia
Freja I have never played wow but I have played many many CTF's and they are soo much fun ,you have no idea all the laughing and fun that goes on in Skype or mumble when it is that much fun....Siege needs these kind of changes ...it allows for non skilled pvpers to learn how to protect themselves...and God its fun!

Thegirlyouloved2hate

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
There is a capture the flag event that happens on a daily basis somewhere else that I play that is awesome fun. You get placed on random teams with the purace of taking the other teams flags and return them to your base. It actually allows all types of players to join as points are awarded for not only pvp kills, but also damage dealt to enemies, healing to team mates, defending the flag, stealing other teams flags and even walls thrown up in defence of flag. It also keeps updated scores and ranks players based off these scores.
Oh that's right you play there too I love CTF soo much.

Thegirlyouloved2hate

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I play both Chess and backgammon.I am not awful at pool either. :p