• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What this game needs. . .

Hera - Siege

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I re-upped for all of about an hour over the course of a couple days recently.

Found all my favorite housing locations were taken, no biggie, found another nice spot.

But discovered while I LOVE the classless, skill based system, there's just nothing to do that I haven't done before. Content is severely lacking, granted there's some event or something going in, but it's one thing at one moment of time, do it for a couple hours and ho-hum back to the grind.

They need to take a page out of blizz's book and Cataclysm the entire world. This would give some awesome new life to this game I think. I don't even need new monsters or anything, just mix up the world, change where all the spawns are, new landscapes, etc. Force me to explore once again to find out where everything is.

Just my .02, but of the past 2 times I've re-upped I haven't lasted more than a week or two. My nostalgia for UO will never wane, it's hands down the best MMO ever. I wish more developers would copy UO instead of WoW, but c'mon, let's get some serious content in here, pipe dream I know because it's mainly in 'maintenance mode' until it dies, but I can still dream about it.

Wish I would have stayed longer.
-H

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Something is coming in the public next month. It may not fill all your wishes. We will get a Global loot fix and new Traders Quest. Also the new Vice vs Virtue should hit TC in a week or two.
It take time to fix this game, but the Devs we have now, do there best with the resources they have.

I look forward to the Global loot as that could make players hunt the overland's spawn too. The best time I had in UO, had been interact with players killing the spawn or PK's roaming the land to find a target between them. When the overland's spawn and loot got so crappy, that not even a newbie would hunt there, the shard died together with the overland.

I hope the Traders Quest will make people traveling more and not just be like BoDs, done in the houses. I really hope they will use the overland, maybe something like the fishing quests, where toy get send to different places to turn in your orders, maybe even to some moving NPC's, so you could not just gate to them but had to find them via a map telling where they may be close too.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
The only leaf I wish they would take from WoWs book is the PvP battlegrounds, and to a lesser extent the arena system.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
The only leaf I wish they would take from WoWs book is the PvP battlegrounds, and to a lesser extent the arena system.
I believe something like that will be in the Virtue vs Vice system http://stratics.com/community/threads/in-concept-virtue-vs-vice.301505/

"The system will track the number of players logged in to each team, when a threshold is met a battle will begin.
How do battles work?
1. At the beginning of each battle a random shrine that hasn’t already been featured in a battle will be chosen.
2. Players on each team will be notified that a shrine has been identified for battle
."

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
That sounds good, the only problem I ever had with UO was the PvP side.

On WoW PvP servers you have "world PvP", this functions more or less the same way as playing on Siege, ie you can be out hunting or whatever and suddenly attacked out of nowhere by a rogue, with the advantage of surprise/better gear etc you will be stomped by him if you are not a well geared very experienced PvP player, of course if you are below level 90 and its a level 90 that attacks you, you have no chance whatsoever and will just be one-shot killed.

You would think WoW PvP servers would be as deserted as Felucca is on prod shards wouldn't you, but they are as populated as the carebear ones.

Back when I played UO between 1999 and 2004 I watched the devs try many ways to repopulate Felucca, champ spawns, double resources, item insurance, none of these seem to have been that successful, so how is it that WoW manages to have fully populated non-consensual PvP servers?

The obvious conclusion I think they reached is that people don't like losing their stuff, if this were the case the introduction of item insurance would have repopulated Fel on prod shards, it didn't, this is why I think any call for insurance on Siege as some way of getting more people in would be a mistake, all it would do is widen the gear gap with rich players covered in artefacts they can no longer lose easily destroying poorer less geared players.

I think they missed the obvious, its simply that for the majority of new players to it, their first experiences of PvP in Fel on prod shards are very negative ones, beaten in 2 seconds by very experienced players, I know my first experiences in Fel on Europa were like this, one red could have killed me with his eyes closed so it presented zero challenge for the 3 I encountered that first time, though I imagine this was fun for them, especially the bit where they get to kill my horse after and do some trash talking, it wasn't that much fun for me.....

I think the real reason WoW manages here what UO cant is the battleground system, for those who don't know it Ill explain:
From very low level you can queue for these, once the system has 10 players on each side the game starts and you are all transported to that instance, both teams will be similar char level, gear will vary wildly from player to player so this isn't a "fair" game incase you were thinking that, very often one team will stomp the other if there is a large gear/experience gap between the sides players, the game is capture the flag or domination etc, standard team game formats used by many online games.
When you are killed you go to the graveyard, these work on a rolling timer that rez all dead players in them every 30 seconds, no looting of course and you rez with all your gear so you can get straight back into it, the reward for a win is honour points(a currency), more for the winning team obviously.

This system provides an easy to get into "training ground", you learn what works and what doesn't, you watch how others play and learn all the tricks etc, you keep playing in these until it becomes second nature, no more "damn I should have used X,Y,Z" well after the event, plus they are a lot of fun to play, towards the end PvP battlegrounds were all I was playing in WoW every day, but the fact the PvM side of WoW is totally awful might have contributed to that....

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Sorry but no thanks, want to play WOW, go play WOW. Loosing stuff is a part of UO.
I played WOW 2 times on PvP serveres. PvP where you risk nothing and can't chat with your enemy say me nothing. I just want life back to the roads and the forests of Britainnia

Hera - Siege

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Something is coming in the public next month. It may not fill all your wishes. We will get a Global loot fix and new Traders Quest. Also the new Vice vs Virtue should hit TC in a week or two.
It take time to fix this game, but the Devs we have now, do there best with the resources they have.

I look forward to the Global loot as that could make players hunt the overland's spawn too. The best time I had in UO, had been interact with players killing the spawn or PK's roaming the land to find a target between them. When the overland's spawn and loot got so crappy, that not even a newbie would hunt there, the shard died together with the overland.

I hope the Traders Quest will make people traveling more and not just be like BoDs, done in the houses. I really hope they will use the overland, maybe something like the fishing quests, where toy get send to different places to turn in your orders, maybe even to some moving NPC's, so you could not just gate to them but had to find them via a map telling where they may be close too.
Global loot really doesn't cut it. As much as I hate to give him props, Black Rain was talking about this YEARS ago as something that needed to happen. Plus it's the same deal, just constant monster bashing, so now I can go back to the wisp dungeon in Ish, whee. I know where it is, I know what spawns there. There's no mystery left, when expansions happen in other games, people come back to explore the areas and experience the new content, revamping loot tables isn't the same.

I also understand the Devs have limited, probably extremely limited resources, it's just unfortunate that UO has stagnated. How often do people go to Ishenlar? Does anyone hunt in Malas (Short of Luna)? Seems that new or changed land masses would encourage more exploration and more people out and about. And I suggest changed because such things as Ish & Malas seem to be devoid of anything worth doing.

Who-ever mentioned WoW and PvP servers, the reason the PvP servers are populated in my opinion is that the starter areas are left alone. It's been a while since I played WoW, but aren't Newbs under protection until level 20 or something like that? Even if they are not, the vast majority of the time the starter areas weren't targeted, and if they were there was a posse there to defend within minutes. None of this 'Welcome to Siege pancake!' I'm willing to bet if WoW instituted a full loot system on PvP shards you would see those shards empty right out, not losing items is definitely a contributor to the success of the PvP servers in WoW. Battlegrounds were awesome, but once again if you had to repurchase or refarm your suit after every kill in the BG. . . bet they would be less used as well.

*shrugs* It's unfortunate, I really love UO and it's awesome skill-based, housing, crafting systems, but when I find myself bored out of my skull within an hour of logging back in because "hmm, should I go do another peerless for the 485th time or Spawn for the 12583rd time" because those are the things that are challenging. . . it's unfortunate.

Stygian Abyss was released 5 years ago, that's a LONG time to go without additional major content. High Seas, sure, but no new skills, no new races. Moderately changed the sea land mass, but not enough to keep you exploring for more than a couple days.

-H

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Global loot fix do 2 thing, it make PvP gear cheaper and it bring more victims for the reds. In the past, we had fights at the roads, in the forests and at the player towns

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I think people misunderstood what I said.....

At no point did I suggest losing stuff is any problem, nor did I say WoW is a better game than UO, it is not, this thread was "what this game needs", and in my opinion what this game needs is a way to get more people into the PvP side of the game and one way to do this is to provide a team game environment where people can learn like WoW does.

As for "carebear never lose my stuff", if that makes PvP popular why is Fel deserted on tram shards??(a point I did try to make in the post).

But sure, feel free to misunderstand what Im saying and moan that WoW was mentioned, are flames and nostalgia what this game actually needs?

HoldenCaulfield

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I re-upped for all of about an hour over the course of a couple days recently.

Found all my favorite housing locations were taken, no biggie, found another nice spot.

But discovered while I LOVE the classless, skill based system, there's just nothing to do that I haven't done before. Content is severely lacking, granted there's some event or something going in, but it's one thing at one moment of time, do it for a couple hours and ho-hum back to the grind.

They need to take a page out of blizz's book and Cataclysm the entire world. This would give some awesome new life to this game I think. I don't even need new monsters or anything, just mix up the world, change where all the spawns are, new landscapes, etc. Force me to explore once again to find out where everything is.

Just my .02, but of the past 2 times I've re-upped I haven't lasted more than a week or two. My nostalgia for UO will never wane, it's hands down the best MMO ever. I wish more developers would copy UO instead of WoW, but c'mon, let's get some serious content in here, pipe dream I know because it's mainly in 'maintenance mode' until it dies, but I can still dream about it.

Wish I would have stayed longer.
-H
Hi Hera - first just want to say wish you would have stayed longer too. One more "potential" player lost is a disappointment.

Is it maybe you are just bored with online games in general? As I remember WoW - haven't played it in recent years, but I would be doing the same instances/raids countless times over to get the "drop" I wanted only to see them become worthless with the next expansion. The monsters in the raids would always be in the same spots each time and it got to be very systematic. The expansion would then offer new content/monsters, but the general idea would be the same and all my old things became worthless. Sure that is the same with UO and any other game, you are just clicking your mouse/hitting a keyboard in different orders if we want to break it down to that level and then yes there is nothing you haven't done before, just different graphics...

I wonder, though, if maybe you are just unaware of some of the newer content as I am still constantly finding new things I never knew about. You did all there was in blackthorn's dungeon? Your name is even on the void pool score list? just small examples - but, I just want to be sure I am understanding the argument, hope to not be offensive, I just don't think you could have done everything there is, especially in the hour or two you say you were back to your 'grind'.

Thanks,
Holden

Bo Bo

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
wow a couple of really great posts in this thread. As most of you know the Bo has been in favor of item insurance on siege for years now. Not to say it would be a cure all, we are far past that point. But losing gear, or havin to resupply gear is one of the biggest factors that drive people away. Throughout the years the Bo has had many guildmates and most that left said they didnt have the time to keep resupplying there character with the gear needed to pvp. This is fact. Please dont tell the Bo to pvp in lesser gear, whats the point. The point for most pvpers is to beat the other person, well in this game the gear you are wearing either helps or hurts you. And if you are going for the win why settle for less than stellar gear?
The new loot patch wont be out for months, and again it wont fix anything. Gear will still have to be farmed, hours on end to get something decent to use for pvp. (just too many different combinations of stuff on one piece to make it really worthy) Siege is dead because there is no pvp. Pvp on siege drove the economy well now there is nothing but merchants and crafters at the wheel, and it looks like we are headed in the wrong direction.
Bo likes the ideas mentioned about pvp and how to get people to do it, good show Hera, and WhiteWitch.
Oh yeah the land mass needs to be downsized, way to large, each facet should be cut in half if not more.

Klapauc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can see why the Bo is asking for item insurance on siege. Way too much time is needed to gather equipment to be on par with others. Thats the main reason for me to avoid pvp here. I just do not play enough to spend 2/3 of my time farming and crafting.
However, item insurance does not belong on siege, because having no insurance is the best way to keep rampant scripting , griefing or pk gank squads under control. Me thinks , what the Bo is asking for better belongs on a new shard with full fel ruleset and insurance. But that would require the devs to fix some cheating/duping/scripting issues first.
I think, a lot of the pvpers do/did miss an important detail of siege , that is if you actually want to have people around to fight, you may also want them to have stuff to wear. But as it seems, quick win and cheap loot are more important .

Btw it will be interesting what the new patches will bring to the table here for siege. If faction items will go away completly and the stuff that comes from overland spawn is plenty and good enough, we may see some balance and more pvp here. Reason is, all of the revamped dungeons atm are basically deathtraps with a single choke point that can be camped to farm pvmers. That problem goes away with new loot everywhere.

Agra-Lem

Last edited:

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
As for "carebear never lose my stuff", if that makes PvP popular why is Fel deserted on tram shards??(a point I did try to make in the post).
*Smiles*
I think the problem is, they did not make Trammel shards and Felucca shards. Old Devs thought PvP was bad for the game but a lot of us did have fun in old days before they started to nerf PvP.

I wonder how it would had been if they had let old shards stay non con PvP and then made a few carebear shards.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I can see why the Bo is asking for item insurance on siege. Way too much time is needed to gather equipment to be on par with others. Thats the main reason for me to avoid pvp here. I just do not play enough to spend 2/3 of my time farming and crafting.
However, item insurance does not belong on siege, because having no insurance is the best way to keep rampant scripting , griefing or pk gank squads under control. Me thinks , what the Bo is asking for better belongs on a new shard with full fel ruleset and insurance. But that would require the devs to fix some cheating/duping/scripting issues first.
I think, a lot of the pvpers do/did miss an important detail of siege , that is if you actually want to have people around to fight, you may also want them to have stuff to wear. But as it seems, quick win and cheap loot are more important .

Agra-Lem
Lets see if the Global loot fix will make PvP gear easier and cheaper to get. You still risk to lose it but you can easier replace it.

ApollyonSP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
The two main reasons I returned to ultima online, and siege perilous in particular...........

1) housing
2) pvp and gear loss

If you want me to leave then go ahead and change these details. I've been playing for over 2 years now.....

Bo Bo

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The two main reasons I returned to ultima online, and siege perilous in particular...........

1) housing
2) pvp and gear loss

If you want me to leave then go ahead and change these details. I've been playing for over 2 years now.....
hmm what pvp are you talking bout? Bo's been here for years and has never seen you pvp. Running from house to luna bank and back to house isnt pvp. Bo sees alot of people talking bout pvp too bad no one of these turkeys actually pvp. Why dont they pvp Bo? Cause they are afraid of losing and having to replace there gear!

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The new loot patch wont be out for months, and again it wont fix anything. Gear will still have to be farmed, hours on end to get something decent to use for pvp. (just too many different combinations of stuff on one piece to make it really worthy) Siege is dead because there is no pvp. Pvp on siege drove the economy well now there is nothing but merchants and crafters at the wheel, and it looks like we are headed in the wrong direction.
Tbh, I think (and hope) the new loot system can actually be beneficial to Siege´s PvP. Like Agra-Lem said:

Btw it will be interesting what the new patches will bring to the table here for siege. If faction items will go away completly and the stuff that comes from overland spawn is plenty and good enough, we may see some balance and more pvp here. Reason is, all of the revamped dungeons atm are basically deathtraps with a single choke point that can be camped to farm pvmers. That problem goes away with new loot everywhere.
As it is now, the few spots that offer good gear drops are hot spots for PKs.
With the new Global loot system more PvMers and merchants get a better shot at farming more and better gear which (again I hope) will lead to more vendors selling good gear parts for a decent price.

So if a PvPer loses his gear he can just go and spend 200-300K on 6 pieces and some jewelry to get his LRC, LMC, resists, stat boosts, regens, FC, etc and won´t have to spend any time farming it.

Time will tell but I actually think the new loot system can work for the PvPers if done right by the farmers/merchants.

Kael

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What's wrong with the shard is mainly two things- lack of players and a huge land mass. I can't see how they could address the landmass situation without alienating a lot of current players. On production shards they have talked about possible shard mergers and people on U-Hall lost their minds. I think the only possible way would be to create a classic server. What era of a classic shard is always an argument as well. As for population, perhaps a classic shard would bring peeps back to UO or without rehashing a previous thread some kind of F2P model could entice the casual player into popping into the lands and getting back that fresh addiction.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I have cleared this thread of some nonsense. Let's not get personal.

ApollyonSP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I believe that what this game, and shard needs, is more players like myself. I returned after 10 years, been active as I can for 2 years now. I can tell people here that I haven't had an easy time in the sense that many people dislike me, yes of course. My goal is not to be liked, but to play and enjoy the game. The community is superficial.

Many older, vet players are not accommodating, unhelpful, and all around exclusive to new players. The vets should rethink this strategy. You can't accept only the new players you personally like. An online game and community doesn't work that way. And the shard, the game, needs numbers. You don't get to pick and choose this. And you have to take what you can get.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend new players join UO or SP after some of the unnecessary hassles I've run into. However, I do plan to help newbies more than the vets, eventually.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
On Siege, respect is owned, not something you take as granted.
It have nothing to do with being a vet or a new player, it had to do with how you act vs other players.
If some players get it hard on Siege, it could be their attitude it is wrong with. It's all about who you are and how you interact.
In an online game, you choose your friends just like in RL and try to avoid the ones you don't like or don't trust.

Kael

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have found people on Siege Perilous for the most part be decent. Sure there are rivalries and disagreements/fights between guilds. KoC were good guys. TnT had some great people in it. JSV had a fun group to be allied with and have some faction fights with. You don't need to get along with everybody to garner respect on the shard nor do you need to be a great pvper. You can't however be an asshat or the shard will shun you. I can really only think of a couple people that fit that description - one just had his soul stones trashed and the other being a fellow Canadian :)

ApollyonSP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
The real asshats and the ones you have to watch out for are fake people who pat themselves on the back and constantly let other people know how "good" they are, casually slipping in the reminder whenever the opportunity arises. Feigned humility, smarter players will see this shallow type of person a mile away.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Are you sure, it is not you who have a problem? It sounds like Paranoia
You can't force people to accept you or love you, you have to prove your worthy.

Rumpy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can someone fill me in on the Global Loot system? What is that suppose to be exactly?

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I believe an upgrade to old spawn not already updated with "Shame" loot, it should include Treasure chests and SOS chests too. I also think I heard a few old monsters would be back, hopeful on overland.

Kael

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe your solution should be to unplug the computer and get some fresh air. Might help you in the ****** bag department.

Troll The T Hunter

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well I hope the VvV system is some kind of battleground. When I first quit siege I went to dark age of Camelot and some of the most fun i had was in the battlegrounds. there was a castle in the middle of the battlegrounds and one side would try to keep it while the other 2 sides tried to take it. What made this fun was a goal that was obtainable in a single play session. or you could just run around and kill people. Another thing that made this fun is the battleground wasn't to large so finding fights wasn't a problem. Wow has a battleground, DOAC has a battleground and UO should have a battleground. It doesnt necessarily need to have a castle as the goal but something/anything interesting.

ApollyonSP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
well I hope the VvV system is some kind of battleground. When I first quit siege I went to dark age of Camelot and some of the most fun i had was in the battlegrounds. there was a castle in the middle of the battlegrounds and one side would try to keep it while the other 2 sides tried to take it. What made this fun was a goal that was obtainable in a single play session. or you could just run around and kill people. Another thing that made this fun is the battleground wasn't to large so finding fights wasn't a problem. Wow has a battleground, DOAC has a battleground and UO should have a battleground. It doesnt necessarily need to have a castle as the goal but something/anything interesting.
I agree with this, UO and SP specifically need a battleground area where people can go, expect other pvpers, have basic rewards or gold as a substitute for farming NPCs, and a spectator area. It should be worthwhile just to go even if you die, have throwaway gears, an area for low skill point players, something where you don't have to be maxxed out with gear after 10 years of vet playing SP to have the edge.

For example, Bo likes to brag about being hot #### but would Bo really do that well if gear was evened against a newbie, and the playing field were equal? Doubt it

Bo Bo

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I agree with this, UO and SP specifically need a battleground area where people can go, expect other pvpers, have basic rewards or gold as a substitute for farming NPCs, and a spectator area. It should be worthwhile just to go even if you die, have throwaway gears, an area for low skill point players, something where you don't have to be maxxed out with gear after 10 years of vet playing SP to have the edge.

For example, Bo likes to brag about being hot #### but would Bo really do that well if gear was evened against a newbie, and the playing field were equal? Doubt it
Anytime anyone would like to test this theory please just speak up. The only reason Bo buys, acquires super good gear now is cause bo has nothing left to spend bo's millions of goldies on. Bo made a living out of being able to kill better equipped people, or even groups of people vs only the Bo. Again if you were in the field fightin people you might have a clue.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
It not about Newbies and Vets, I had seen Rumpy rejoin the game on an new account with nothing in the game. I think it took him a month to be PvP ready.

Several thing can effect your ability to PvP, a good guild to support you do help a lot, so do RL cash to buy tokens for skills and stuff.
Some players are power gamers and will make it to the top in any game they join.
Others like me do not really care about win on any cost. Yes I have a lot stuff in this game, it had taking me a lot years to get it as I don't really care about gold and stuff. Also I don't care about having the most powerful template and the most powerful gear. If I die, so be it.

Now in my case, my reputation do effect how much I die and how much I lose. I got that reputation early in UO and I see new players here like Katt do the same.
So you do not make solutions, you make excuses for your problems.
If you have hard making it here it is all your fail for doing it wrong.

ApollyonSP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
The vets, especially FrejaSP, are at fault for the low shard population.

What this shard needs, is a better community that increases, rather than decreases, the shard population. I always go against the grain. So I don't really care about being liked or disliked. My self value doesn't revolve around what others think or feel about me, as FrejaSP's self esteem does. I have fun either way. But many other new players are not this way.

The shard population could be just 1, me, or 1000, and either way I'll be happy. But having 1000 other players makes for a funner climate of pvp and competition. I love competition.

Bo will chime in here and talk about "I haven't seen you around".....probably because I work 70-80 hours a week and don't have much time to spend on this game, how about that??? So my freetime is very valuable. I don't allow people to waste it.

Last edited:

Kael

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is a capture the flag event that happens on a daily basis somewhere else that I play that is awesome fun. You get placed on random teams with the purace of taking the other teams flags and return them to your base. It actually allows all types of players to join as points are awarded for not only pvp kills, but also damage dealt to enemies, healing to team mates, defending the flag, stealing other teams flags and even walls thrown up in defence of flag. It also keeps updated scores and ranks players based off these scores.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
ApollyonSP
In Denmark we have an old saying: "He who digs a pit for others falls themselves in it."

Every time you try to ruin my reputation, it hit your self in the *** :)

But it's always fun to tease you a little to see how foolish you can make your self look :danceb:

Last edited:

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey Hera.

Message me if your account hasn't deactivated yet. I'll find some time to log in and see if we can do a shenanigan like old times.

Troll The T Hunter

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was reading about VvV and it doesn't sound like its going to be a instanced area which I think it should be. Only people participating should be allowed in the area. I also think it should be a shared instance across all shards, then you would never have a population problem and it would be nice to fight people on other shards (although this invites every speed hacker to come join)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I started back on Siege a couple of years ago. What I started with was a basic LRC suit and full spell book that Freja gave me. The Bo killed me my first day back on Siege and despite the Bo being a hardcore murder he simply rumaged through my noob junk, gave me a rez took nothing and went on his way. Within a month I had farmed many millions of gold, aquired many soul stones, and some of what I consider to be the best house locations on the map. I have aquired all of the 120 scrolls and +25 stats +5 for all of my toons, keep chest full of imbued armor and weapons so when I die and get dry looted, its nothing more than a quick trip to one of the houses to get geared up. Overall the people of Siege are a great bunch and I have made some great friends since being back red and blue alike. I have also met some real jack wagons but hey its siege and if my corpse loot trips their trigger..... But the point is making it on Siege is not rocket science as it is. There is without question room for improvements but not at the cost of losing the Sieginess of Siege. Maybe my take on this is different because I can only play regularly for 4-5 months out of the year and that keeps the game fresh for me after all of these years. Maybe I am just a old game addict that does not like major change since I am also still an avid Total Annihilation and Lords of Magic player or maybe I just think UO and Siege in particular has the best community of people around. I have tried other games and none hold a candle to what we have in UO. Whether a crafter, a loot farmer or a PK there is a home in UO. As far as wow being the suposed bench mark and gold standard........ that is just BS wow held my attention for about a week and had to be removed from my computer UO on the other hand has been on my desktop going on 15 or 15 years. Not sure is that says something about the game or about me but it is what it is. Bring on the overland spawn , bring on the new areas and screw shrinking the land mass, finding victims should be something the Bo has to work for :) POWER TO THE ZOOGIE FUNGUS!

Kattasrophe

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I think if we did more events on Siege Perilous and got our name out there maybe people will come to realize that Siege Perilous is the place to be. I try hard to help the new people when I see them, gold here, suit there, and try and lead them to new2. I think what Hera is trying to get at is she wishes there was more land to explore more secret dungeons and places that are just truly special. Sides exploring on Siege is like no other.. when you die there isn't no recalling back, only gating which still leaves a chance for someone to follow you. I think more Story line events that goes on all shards like when the Magencia War happened, might bring more interest into the Ultima Online community as a whole. I joined the Siege Perilous community a year ago, I remember saying I was new and in a snap of a finger I was getting help that I needed. Ever since its been a world of craziness and happiness. One of the things I think might help Siege is when someone helps someone else just tell them to pay it forward and help others. It could set off a chain reaction of helpful actions. Also, more player events. Player events give people a chance to come out and talk to others. Im sure a lot of you can say I met a very good friend because of an event. Working together and having fun bonds people together. As for the Global loot thing, I think it is a good thing that will help the shard, but I still understand where Hera comes from when she says she wants new land to explore. This is what the game needs, more events, more places to explore, more helpful actions, more people attending events that people worked hard to make, more people bonding over team work and fun. (last part of my rant) Another thing that I think would help the Ultima Online community as a whole is to be able to talk to the people that has created the events, the vet rewards, the holiday items. And be able to say to tell them what we would like to see, not a fight yelling at them because of something that has already happened that you didn't like. But to say hey, I came up with this idea and I think this would be an interest to the Ultima Online Community. Who knows how far an Idea can go. For Example I know someone who has been wanting a gypsy wagon for players to be created for 2 years. If the community of UO can show support and interest then it can happen.

Kael

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bring on the overland spawn , bring on the new areas and screw shrinking the land mass, finding victims should be something the Bo has to work for :) POWER TO THE ZOOGIE FUNGUS!
Some people like the new lands others don't go there. Bringing back overland spawn is a great idea...get people out wandering again. The thing is even with GC, unless you see people you tend to get the feeling you are a player in a single person game. Alot of people log into Siege enchanted with the idea of "old school" UO, work up a char and eventually leave because they don't have enough interactions to keep them into the shard. I saw that with Gilfane...people just filtered out after a couple of months and stopped logging into the game. Maybe it's just that Siege is the last stop for people in the game ??

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I believe the new Traders Quest together with the new loot changes may be really great for Siege. The Traders Quest will wake up some PK's and Pirates and players will again learn, the fastest way from one town to an other may not be the most safe way.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would not say Siege is the last stop, I think a lot of folks here out of curiosity and find its just not their cup of tea. Nothing wrong with that this shard is not for everyone. Others hit here and find their primary home. Nothing wrong with new content that brings people in to give it a whirl some will stay and some will go. All my point was, is that it is not really that hard to build up a toon with craft or combat skills and get involved in the community . The overland spawn would I hope... Increase both friendly and hostile interaction. More than anything UO like everything else in life is what you make of it and not what you think it should make for you.

Rieley

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Umbra and Luna only? What about Ocllo? Would that be affected by VvV, it's a great little town and would love to see it active.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Some info from the U.Hall thread:
Only the city with the active VvV battle has guard zones turned off, and only inside the battle region which does not always include the entirety of the City.
The city lineup is:
Britain
Jhelom
Minoc
Moonglow
Occlo (Currently defaults to Yew since there's an issue with Occlo)
Skara
Trinsic
Yew

Edward_SP

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What we need are more EMs or players holding more events on a regular basis. Not this once on a weekend once in a blue moon junk. Personally I think it's bad enough that the UO community has to resort to creating their own events because the devs don't want to worry about it or whatever, but even that's part of what makes UO great. Also rewards for participating in events that are actually worth something instead of some inscribed decoration.