• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What needs to be done to make faction PVP more prolific?

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think... the only way to make the factions more prolific.. is to have Saleena and Altec log on more. I'm sick of this bull!

At least log into vent and sit in the afk channel!

S

Saleena

I totally logged in last night! Thurs-Sunday my week slows down and thats when i log on more. Altec has been on but he's been being a little trammy nub!:yell:

G

geni

1. the faction gear needs to be uninsurable on your trammie shards and made to cost 5x more .
2.the player named gear you get off of enemy faction players needs to be able to be turned in at the bases for half thier orginal cost in silver.
3.move all bases outside of the guard zones but still near thier respective towns.

i have played tb factions since 99 on siege perilous i think thats all that needs to be fixed.

do it and it will make factions better.

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1. the faction gear needs to be uninsurable on your trammie shards and made to cost 5x more .
2.the player named gear you get off of enemy faction players needs to be able to be turned in at the bases for half thier orginal cost in silver.
3.move all bases outside of the guard zones but still near thier respective towns.

i have played tb factions since 99 on siege perilous i think thats all that needs to be fixed.

do it and it will make factions better.
thats all huh? Point situation is fine right?

M

McVie

They should set it up so if your fraction does not own a town you cannot use your fraction mount. That would make everyone really want to capture a town and it would create big base raids.

P

Pimpdaddy

Faction members should not be able to kill each other. Killing a member of your own faction should put you in a 30 min 50% stat loss if they choose to give you this penalty. The same way murder counts work right now. "Would you like to report ****** of your faction for treason?"

Stat Loss. I am not opposed completely to keeping Stat just the way it is. Although shortening the timer might get more people into the factions.

Blues should not be able to attack a red in factions that is engaged in combat with another faction. If the blue were to attack first I guess this would be ok. At least the Red would know it was coming.

How can we stop people from having characters in different factions? This is a tough one. What if they are using different accounts? Someone should not be premitted to be in more then 1 different faction, even if they are using different accounts.

No faction Items for Trammies. Either make items unuseable in Tram or let the reds go there and kill all the people doing this. There needs to be some risk for being in factions even if you are in Tram. My preferance here would be giving reds the ability to enter all facets with the ability to only kill faction. In tram reds should not be attackable by blues either. (this would stop dumb blues from attacking by accident) Only Orange. Why should I not be allowed to visit all the faucets because I like to PVP?

More reason to hold towns. At the moment no one really cares about holding a town because there is very little benifit to it. How about increased silver for every town you hold? How about a town item. If I hold Brit I get an extra bonus on one of my faction items?

Sigils should be able to be stolen more often but not over night. Should there be a cut off time like 1am? Stealing opens again at noon? Something like that. How about just during a certain window of the day? Between 5pm and 10pm of the servers local time. Could even be shorter then that. Might encourage some epic battles across all of fel during this time. I know I would be up for defending the sigils if I only had to sit there for an hour a day. After that I know they are safe till tomorrow!

I am sure I will think of more....

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Faction members should not be able to kill each other. Killing a member of your own faction should put you in a 30 min 50% stat loss if they choose to give you this penalty. The same way murder counts work right now. "Would you like to report ****** of your faction for treason?"

Stat Loss. I am not opposed completely to keeping Stat just the way it is. Although shortening the timer might get more people into the factions.

Blues should not be able to attack a red in factions that is engaged in combat with another faction. If the blue were to attack first I guess this would be ok. At least the Red would know it was coming.

How can we stop people from having characters in different factions? This is a tough one. What if they are using different accounts? Someone should not be premitted to be in more then 1 different faction, even if they are using different accounts.

No faction Items for Trammies. Either make items unuseable in Tram or let the reds go there and kill all the people doing this. There needs to be some risk for being in factions even if you are in Tram. My preferance here would be giving reds the ability to enter all facets with the ability to only kill faction. In tram reds should not be attackable by blues either. (this would stop dumb blues from attacking by accident) Only Orange. Why should I not be allowed to visit all the faucets because I like to PVP?

More reason to hold towns. At the moment no one really cares about holding a town because there is very little benifit to it. How about increased silver for every town you hold? How about a town item. If I hold Brit I get an extra bonus on one of my faction items?

Sigils should be able to be stolen more often but not over night. Should there be a cut off time like 1am? Stealing opens again at noon? Something like that. How about just during a certain window of the day? Between 5pm and 10pm of the servers local time. Could even be shorter then that. Might encourage some epic battles across all of fel during this time. I know I would be up for defending the sigils if I only had to sit there for an hour a day. After that I know they are safe till tomorrow!

I am sure I will think of more....
Nothing you can do about people killing there other faction members. Wait until you get someone who joins your factions and starts hiding your traps, goes grey and runs into your fields.. sits in your base and spells your fields or keeps wall of stoning you so you cannot either run from or chase enemies. We are in felucia. WE are big boys and girls.. It sucks when people do this.. The only thing you can do.. is man up and kill them ****ers...

Everyone should be able to attack everyone.. everyone should be able to heal everyone.. that was the best system...

Stat loss is fine...

You cannot prevent people from joining different factions.. You cannot make it CC specific.. or IP specific.. These ideas were brought up years and years ago. Theres no way to do it... Sorry.

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They should set it up so if your fraction does not own a town you cannot use your fraction mount. That would make everyone really want to capture a town and it would create big base raids.
I never liked this idea for a few reasons..

1. This affects who? The non tamers.. The people who don't have dreadmares.. So the tamers are unaffected by this completely. and lets face it.. in a few months 90% of population will be tamer archers, tamer mages, or tamer something elses...

2. Faction horses work just fine the way they are now.. why change them? There is 101 other things that can be fixed or tweaked to improve factions. This just isn't right if you ask me.. Getting dismounted is way to effective to be taking peoples war horses away. They aren't over powered.. If anything we should be nerfing dismounts somehow.. not screwing over the solo and non tamer pvpers..

3. There is no balance system. If a guild doesnt want to participate... and just mooch the benefits all they have to do is join the front running faction.... Soooo.. everyone has war horses still...

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I never liked this idea for a few reasons..

1. This affects who? The non tamers.. The people who don't have dreadmares.. So the tamers are unaffected by this completely. and lets face it.. in a few months 90% of population will be tamer archers, tamer mages, or tamer something elses...

2. Faction horses work just fine the way they are now.. why change them? There is 101 other things that can be fixed or tweaked to improve factions. This just isn't right if you ask me.. Getting dismounted is way to effective to be taking peoples war horses away. They aren't over powered.. If anything we should be nerfing dismounts somehow.. not screwing over the solo and non tamer pvpers..

3. There is no balance system. If a guild doesnt want to participate... and just mooch the benefits all they have to do is join the front running faction.... Soooo.. everyone has war horses still...

asl cardell?

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
2. Faction horses work just fine the way they are now.. why change them?
They are definitely not fine. For one, you can resurrect them 100% of the time even in the middle of a fight. Second, they are bonded which completely defeats the purpose of holding towns. I think they should not able to be bonded so if you lose your towns then you risk your horse. Just like it used to be.

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They are definitely not fine. For one, you can resurrect them 100% of the time even in the middle of a fight. Second, they are bonded which completely defeats the purpose of holding towns. I think they should not able to be bonded so if you lose your towns then you risk your horse. Just like it used to be.
Id go for it as long as you could not have any bonded dreadmares, dragons or any other pets for a tamers while in the factions. Since that isnt the case.. horses are too easily killed and people are dismounted WAY to much. If you take away peoples only chance of surviving a dismount gank the game is really going to suck.. more..

M

McVie

That's really the point man to make it a disadvantage when you don't have a town captured hence the reason for the thread. This would make it important to fight for towns and make for more fraction fights other than yew gate.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Id go for it as long as you could not have any bonded dreadmares, dragons or any other pets for a tamers while in the factions.
Why not do the next best thing and have pets go into stat loss like the owners. Obviously 20 minutes would be nothing more than an annoyance since the tamer is waiting out stat loss anyway. Maybe 2 hours with the pets at half skills/stats. And you have to have the pet out of the stable for it to work down the timer.

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why not do the next best thing and have pets go into stat loss like the owners. Obviously 20 minutes would be nothing more than an annoyance since the tamer is waiting out stat loss anyway. Maybe 2 hours with the pets at half skills/stats. And you have to have the pet out of the stable for it to work down the timer.
How about we have it fair... no bonded horses for normal factioners,,, no bonded over powered insta kill pets for tamers... thats fair... You gotta take into consideration the ridiculous insta kills dude..

Or... keep it the way it is..... which is also fine and most likely how its going to be...

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's really the point man to make it a disadvantage when you don't have a town captured hence the reason for the thread. This would make it important to fight for towns and make for more fraction fights other than yew gate.
Nah, this just translates into let us kill your horse so we can gank you easier.

I'd be ok with pet stat loss because they'll never remove the bonding crap. 2 hours is a bit excessive though.

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Stat loss on a pet would be fine, but the same 20 minute period as a player. Why should the pet have stat 6 times as long as the player as well as having a greater degree of stat loss in addition to having to remain out of the stable? So a tamer who gets killed along with their pet is out of the fight with that pet for two hours of game time? Ridiculously stupid idea.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Stat loss on a pet would be fine, but the same 20 minute period as a player. Why should the pet have stat 6 times as long as the player as well as having a greater degree of stat loss in addition to having to remain out of the stable? So a tamer who gets killed along with their pet is out of the fight with that pet for two hours of game time? Ridiculously stupid idea.
I wonder how ineffective a greater dragon will be when he's statted and discorded!

slayer888

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi JC,

I have posted in UHALL and some thread in this forum, but here I repost again the idea suggested recently:-

Interesting factions events or attractions for players to participate into more pvp actions and activities:-

EXAMPLE:
Nowadays relic fragments are hard to come by and several ways of getting these are as per below:-

a.) use runics with colored ingots
b.) get high lvl items from monsters
c.) mini artifacts
d.) virtue artifacts (in felucca and trammel dungeons)

To give attractions, we could say focus on the above points:-

a.) we could say provide mining spots in Felucca (champ spawn) dungeons that have much higher chance of getting colored ingots.
b.) we could increase the chance and the numbers of higher lvl items for all champ boss in Felucca
c.) we could hold different faction events for each controlled towns (explained below)
d.) decrease the rate of virtue artifacts gotten from Trammel dungeon. Increase the rate of virtue artifacts gotten from Felucca dungeon.

To be explained c.)

Faction events could be hosted for each controlled faction time. This is a long explanations and planning and may need adjustment or new ideas. However, the basic concept are as per following:-

New Rules:-

1.) faction sigils corruption method are seperated into 2 corruptions process.

1st process (same as current): But instead would require 12 hours corruption time

2nd process (occur on next day after corruption; this is the final chance for stopping the faction that corrupted the sigils (with the 1st process) for getting the towns. This is called the "LAST CHANCE or REVENGE" process.

2nd process would occur in each shards local time : 7pm to 11pm (4 hours)

Other factions who want to stop that faction from controlling the towns MUST participate into the war and steal the sigils from that faction stronghold during this period.

2.) Corruption period extended to 7 days

7 days period counts after each day's server up:-

means 2nd process ends which the guarding faction successfully defended the sigils is for example on Monday night 7pm to 11pm

Then the 7 days period counts on Tuesday server up TO next Monday before Tuesday server up (and sigils could then be rolled again from 1st - 2nd process again)

3.) Whichever faction controlled towns, towns will have different events occuring at different periods during the 7 days corruption period

Monday to Friday:
around 8pm to 10pm will have different event in 1 town

Saturday:
around 1pm to 3pm & 8pm to 10pm will have different event in 2 towns

Sunday:
around 11am to 2pm will have different event in 1 town

Monday: Minoc
Tuesday: Trinsic
Wednesday: Skara Brae
Thursday: Vesper
Friday: Yew
Saturday: (1pm to 3pm) Moonglow , (8pm to 10pm) Magincia
Sunday: Britain

Events Type:- (Limited Time: subject to change the content every 6 months)

Monday: Protect faction miners

Task: Ensure at least 10 miners survive during the period from the enemies factions (NPC) + players (if any participate)

Reward: (if won)
1.) 5,000 silver coins for each participants of the faction
2.) killing the enemies faction (NPC) have a small chance of getting mini artifacts
3.) 20,000 silver coins (stored in the faction stone / donation box) for future implementation

Tuesday: Invasion of the paladins/necromancers town (Trinsic)

Task: Ensure that at least 2 commanders survive from the attack (total of 5 commanders)

TB/CoM control : necromancers NPC enemies raid
Minax/SL control : paladins NPC enemies raid

Reward: (if won)
1.) 5,000 silver coins for each participants of the faction
2.) killing the enemies faction (NPC) have a small chance of getting mini artifacts
3.) 20,000 silver coins (stored in the faction stone / donation box) for future implementation
4.) A memory token stated "You saved paladin/necromancer town" (stackable)

memory token could be exchanged for other rewards such as memorable statue of paladins or necromancers:-

Require 10 tokens for exchange of a RANDOM special statue

etc....

The main point of bringing actions ARE NOT restricting people of wearing faction artifacts.

Having able to wear faction artifacts and easier to customize one own's armors are ACTUALLY encouraging more people to participate pvp activities.

One question you need to ask yourself:-

When your UOAM rings "HELP" bell

"If you have customized a character enough with faction arties, and you log on 1 day and find out your faction orna and inquisitor resolution are in your backpack, what will you do?"

1. log off immediately?
2. continue to go and pvp with the same char?

For me = log off and change char or no pvp for me until I could wear the artifacts again.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I disagree with Slayer888's post.

I'll admit that I didn't even read it, but I've come to the conclusion that it probably has the same content as the rest of his posts. Therefore I preemptively disagree.

Alezi

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So if faction X is kicking the crap out of faction Y faction Y players just join faction X and do whatever they want? No thanks.

Stat loss is fine as it is.
Just... no.

Who really gives a damn?

Allow faction PvP in all facets while not allowing reds go into Trammel ruleset facets.
I agree, holding towns needs more incentive. The faction artifacts, however, are very powerful already, so no more buffs for them.

J

Jesusislord

How about doing something with the newer lands like Tokuno, and make some sort of battleground to fight in.. ? some sort of epic battleground with some sort of objective. Something like they have in Warhammer.

Make faction bases spread across the different facets. TB in Felucca Britannia though, of course. Minax in Tokuno. Shadowlords in Malas. CoM in Ilshenar.. or something. Then design them to be large, and intricate, with all sorts of fancy things to make fighting in them and around them fun. (Secret passages anyone?)

Make faction wars possible outside Felucca. Allow reds into trammel-ruleset facets so they can participate in factions.

A faction base should be huge. And designed to actually fight in. If we can't allow factions outside of Felucca, the at least gives us some nice new bases in Felucca. With reasons for going there other to hand in silver. And try and capture sigils.. depending on what server you play.. Like say, potion vendors where faction Alchemists can sell their potions for 20 silver or whatever.. stuff like that.

All faction items become unequipped once outside of Felucca, and cannot be re-equipped until one enters Felucca. (Assuming factions remain Felucca-only)

I don't like the whole sigil thing. Thieves stealing towns has never made much sense to me. You should have to fight for the towns, in the towns.

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How about doing something with the newer lands like Tokuno, and make some sort of battleground to fight in.. ? some sort of epic battleground with some sort of objective. Something like they have in Warhammer.

Make faction bases spread across the different facets. TB in Felucca Britannia though, of course. Minax in Tokuno. Shadowlords in Malas. CoM in Ilshenar.. or something. Then design them to be large, and intricate, with all sorts of fancy things to make fighting in them and around them fun. (Secret passages anyone?)

Make faction wars possible outside Felucca. Allow reds into trammel-ruleset facets so they can participate in factions.

A faction base should be huge. And designed to actually fight in. If we can't allow factions outside of Felucca, the at least gives us some nice new bases in Felucca. With reasons for going there other to hand in silver. And try and capture sigils.. depending on what server you play.. Like say, potion vendors where faction Alchemists can sell their potions for 20 silver or whatever.. stuff like that.

All faction items become unequipped once outside of Felucca, and cannot be re-equipped until one enters Felucca. (Assuming factions remain Felucca-only)

I don't like the whole sigil thing. Thieves stealing towns has never made much sense to me. You should have to fight for the towns, in the towns.
The already small community is dispursed enough.. You can't find fights in fel sometimes.. wtf would u want to have to look through multiple lands to find a fight?

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The already small community is dispursed enough.. You can't find fights in fel sometimes.. wtf would u want to have to look through multiple lands to find a fight?
QFT - it's bad enough that I have to scout 6 locations across 4 shards to find a fight sometimes. I don't want to increase that number.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I disagree with Slayer888's post.

I'll admit that I didn't even read it, but I've come to the conclusion that it probably has the same content as the rest of his posts. Therefore I preemptively disagree.
Damn I was hoping you'd read it and tell me what the hell it says.

J

Jesusislord

I think idea is to draw people into the game with new and exciting challenges.

I am quite sure the reason you can't find fights in Fel sometimes is because no one wants to fight people inside houses at Yew gate all day.

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think idea is to draw people into the game with new and exciting challenges.

I am quite sure the reason you can't find fights in Fel sometimes is because no one wants to fight people inside houses at Yew gate all day.
Why cant they just put more content into fel? I dont see why we need all the facets in the first place...

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Change the wretched, sorry beast that is human nature.

-Galen's player
Explain your post more.. I'm not sure I'm picking up what your puttin down..

I always thought human nature , the morbid species that we are, is to murder, **** and pillage,,, video tape that ****,, and hope no one but you and friends see it...

That's just what I thought...

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Explain your post more.. I'm not sure I'm picking up what your puttin down..

I always thought human nature , the morbid species that we are, is to murder, **** and pillage,,, video tape that ****,, and hope no one but you and friends see it...

That's just what I thought...
WARNING: This post rambles, and I don't feel like extensively editing it, so I hope the main points come through.

There are, I firmly believe, two basic impulses in humanity. One is evil, and that's the one you just described.

The other is simply lazy. To sit around, get fat, don't participate in things, and to browse the Internet endlessly so you can find the videotape you mentioned. A more noble impulse, to be sure, than committing the crimes to make the tape! But not as noble as the few who have an impulse to either avoid the situation altogether or (even rarer) to rage against it.

Now let us extrapolate this to Factions. The extrapolation is incredibly weak, I know. I admit that.

Faction consists of some people who want to participate for its own sake. We have a mutual friend I believe, who calls herself a granny thief, who is an excellent example of this.

Some people, a greater number, join Factions for an excuse to fight.

The couple of times I've been in Factions I've been kind of in between this type and the first.

Both those types have one critical factor in common: They want to participate. They want to fight, they want to steal and guard sigils, they want to farm silver, they want to vote in Faction Elections, some even want to roleplay their involvement, etc.

But there are 2 other types, at least. Since the introduction of Faction Artifacts, they sadly represent either a majority or a large minority of Faction players, I'm not sure with.

One of these types is what you all fret over: The Trammel player who joins Factions for the horse and the artifact.

They are an issue, but based on observation I believe them to be less of an issue than the other "bad" type, and that's the folks who join Factions for the artifacts but not to show off, rather to use in non-faction PvP. They get their items, then they run around the Yew Gate and fight at champ spawns.

Both of those "bad" types have a critical factor in common: They have an incentive to not participate, but rather to exploit the Faction system, to get points dishonestly, and then to trade them among each other. This hurts both of the basically honest types of Faction players.

Before Faction Artifacts, those people weren't in Factions at all, and Factions was mostly dead on most, but not all, shards. Now it has numbers, and probably more participants, but nowhere near as many participants in proportion to the numbers.

It's great that the devs threw in rewards for Factions that are external to Factions. They needed to do it. I encouraged them to for years.

What I hadn't thought of was that there'd be such an easy way to get points illegitimately. Thus Factions doesn't have as many participants as its enrollment would suggest, thus leading to less "prolific" Faction PvP than one would have a right to expect.

-Galen's player

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What I hadn't thought of was that there'd be such an easy way to get points illegitimately. Thus Factions doesn't have as many participants as its enrollment would suggest, thus leading to less "prolific" Faction PvP than one would have a right to expect.

-Galen's player
/sigh

99% of the ppl on the focus group didn't listen to the 1% that knew wtf they were talking about when myself, ailish, regina, and, i think, poo tried to warn them of it..

Thats the story of the factions, and thats where to resentment of most veterans come from, and will continue to come from.

The people who should be making the decisions 100% are the people who know how the factions work, not just mechanically but socially. Fixing how the factions are ment to be utilized will not fix how the factions are actually utilized.. Exploits become social norms, which become the bane of activity. The devs wouldn't know this because they dont participate like faction players DO! They can claim they know wtf they are talking about but I'd put my bank account on most of the ****ty guilds ive ran into mopping the devs up in a raid. Not because they are noobs but because they dont know how the **** to pvp, let alone raid or defend. How can you fix a system you are not familiar with. If you were the creator of the system that would be one thing, none of these guys are.. so they should have tested it for themselves. The factions need hot fixes constantly, they need small changes here and there, sometimes not permanent but temporary changes that will go back and forth.. The factions need varibles and they cannot be implemented by people who don't or have not played the factions themselves..

You can apply this to the exploits too, not only of mechanics but the exploits of the spells and skills too. When people figure out that spamming divine fury, or running in vamp form allows you to bypass the point loss in death (both of these have been fixed im just using them as examples) everyone will, AND DID, do so. This causes people to leave. Joe Blow dev doesn't pick up on this for about 3 years, then they fix it, probably by accident, and expect everyone to be like, FINALLY! But There were exploits weeks later that weren't fixed for years again.

Having no representation in the devs makes us have to draw the line a bit farther back than most would want. Yes, faction awards are all honkey dory, even with a few people that exploit them, but when the system that the rewards are based upon is left in ruins and ignored (for how ****ing long?) you have to just draw the line and and flat out say: 'you know what, **** these trammies, they are exploiting our hard work'. No its not just trammies doing it, not at all, but when it comes to getting ****ed over, id rather it be a pvper than a trammy because most pvpers even though they exploit the system still want it to be fixed.

If the factions had the undivided attention of the devs they could fix that ****. Mostly by restoring the old systems and tweaking them. With that being said the devs are not pvpers... We need knew devs... lets just hope there are some changes in the latest exodus of empoyees over there. Cause we have been ****ed, lied to, and then ****ed again and its just getting old. I have more fun making ppl pancake on these forums than I do getting chased around by a guild of 10 tamer archers. **** is lame....