• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What items have you lost over the years?

• Thread starter Victoria Navarre
  • Start date
  • Watchers 3
V

Victoria Navarre

Name them here so the Dev's will know.

I personally have lost two stealable lamp posts that were locked down on my front steps. This occured when Doom was still "new"

Also lost a boomstick and a hat of the magi to an insurance bug a couple of years ago.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've lost a number of items over the years. However I knew full well that I couldn't prove I'd actually had them, and even in the case of vet rewards, couldn't prove that I hadn't sold them.
So, with that in mind, I have never asked to have anything I'd lost replaced.

C

Capt.E

I have lost a ton o'stuff. I have never been around a GM and due to the GM's actions lost something.

It's like a GM came to your house and made your stuff go poof.

See the difference?? If you can't then there's no point in arguing this because it is obvious you are not a reasonable person.

V

Victoria Navarre

I have lost a ton o'stuff. I have never been around a GM and due to the GM's actions lost something.

It's like a GM came to your house and made your stuff go poof.

See the difference?? If you can't then there's no point in arguing this because it is obvious you are not a reasonable person.
So then,if a faulty game mechanic causes something I bought with gold or had it drop as loot disapears,I should just shrug my shoulders and stay silent?

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Name them here so the Dev's will know.

I personally have lost two stealable lamp posts that were locked down on my front steps. This occured when Doom was still "new"

Also lost a boomstick and a hat of the magi to an insurance bug a couple of years ago.

I lost a personal bless deed due to a smelting bug where sometimes items would become smelted when you used old smith repair gump :( so I went to repair said item and instead of repairing it smelted it... that was hardest loss for me because I loved my AOS bless deed w/ my fav player's name to it! but, some never got a bless deed, so eh ... still, was the worst feeling :)

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Not me personally, but my former guildmate lost the ORIGINAL two tall Covetous statues on LS when his house collapsed due to a bug in Tram along with a bunch of other rares (coal, etc) and who knows what else. Understandibly, it basically led to his departure from the game.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mousehole. It was teleported under my house sign when I redesigned my house, and of course I didn't notice, cause this was unexpected.

A couple of valuable gloves and sleeves, because they went invisible in a bag inside my backpack (Enhanced Client bug) and I accidentally dumped them without knowing.

N

NewThunder

From the KB

QUESTION
I have lost items, can they be replaced?
ANSWER

Our in-game support staff are not able to trace or reimburse lost items. We apologize that this can be inconvenient, however tracing lost items simply is not possible with our current volume of items and limited tracking ability. We understand that items are extremely important to our players. Collecting, trading and using them are a very big part of Ultima Online. That being said, it is possible to lose an item from time to time.

The item loss is typically related to a game error, or a connection issue. In both cases our in-game support staff (GM’s) are not able to trace these items, which means we are not able to reimburse for the loss of the item. Without being able to verify how an item, stat, or skill was lost. A GM simply cannot make the decision to replace it for you, and we ask that you do not ask a GM do to so.

Your characters and items are stored on our servers, along with those of every other player. This is a necessity of a persistent world. We try to keep data loss to a minimum, however there are going to be occasional crashes or downtimes when data loss or "time warps" can and will occur. This is perhaps the most difficult situation for a Game Master to address, as they have no means to verify that you had the item, nor can they tell what may have happened to it. GM's are often asked to "look at the backup" and verify the item, stats, skills, etc.

Game Masters do not have access to the backups. There are literally gigs of data in a backup, and it is not feasible for any member of our staff to search this data for every player that requests it. Even if we could, this would only show us if the item did exist at one time, and not what happened to it. Without being able to verify how an item, stat, or skill was lost, a GM simply cannot make the decision to replace it for you, and we ask that you do not ask a GM do to so.

If you lost anything due to a bug in the game, please try to recall the events preceding the loss, and report everything you can about the loss and the circumstances to our QA team. You can do this by submitting the form at http://www.uo.com/mailBug.html , and our QA team will do their best to recreate the situation and verify the results in a test environment. This information, if verified, would then be passed along to the Development team for resolution. While this will not get your lost items back, it may help us to prevent this situation happening to yourself or other players in the future, making Ultima Online a better world for all our players.

Finally, we do ask that you respect the Terms of Service (http://www.uo.com/agreement.html ) which you agreed to at the time you created your account with us. This agreement clearly states that use of the service and the software is at your sole risk, and that we assume no responsibility for any damages suffered by you, including, but not limited to, loss of data, items or characters. While we do sympathize with your losses in the game, we must respectfully request that you take our limitations and current technological capabilities into consideration in this matter.

Widow Maker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I offer you, sir, some fine cheese to go with the beverage you seem to have copious amounts of.

IBTL

V

Victoria Navarre

From the KB

QUESTION
I have lost items, can they be replaced?
ANSWER

Our in-game support staff are not able to trace or reimburse lost items. We apologize that this can be inconvenient, however tracing lost items simply is not possible with our current volume of items and limited tracking ability. We understand that items are extremely important to our players. Collecting, trading and using them are a very big part of Ultima Online. That being said, it is possible to lose an item from time to time.

The item loss is typically related to a game error, or a connection issue. In both cases our in-game support staff (GM’s) are not able to trace these items, which means we are not able to reimburse for the loss of the item. Without being able to verify how an item, stat, or skill was lost. A GM simply cannot make the decision to replace it for you, and we ask that you do not ask a GM do to so.

Your characters and items are stored on our servers, along with those of every other player. This is a necessity of a persistent world. We try to keep data loss to a minimum, however there are going to be occasional crashes or downtimes when data loss or "time warps" can and will occur. This is perhaps the most difficult situation for a Game Master to address, as they have no means to verify that you had the item, nor can they tell what may have happened to it. GM's are often asked to "look at the backup" and verify the item, stats, skills, etc.

Game Masters do not have access to the backups. There are literally gigs of data in a backup, and it is not feasible for any member of our staff to search this data for every player that requests it. Even if we could, this would only show us if the item did exist at one time, and not what happened to it. Without being able to verify how an item, stat, or skill was lost, a GM simply cannot make the decision to replace it for you, and we ask that you do not ask a GM do to so.

If you lost anything due to a bug in the game, please try to recall the events preceding the loss, and report everything you can about the loss and the circumstances to our QA team. You can do this by submitting the form at http://www.uo.com/mailBug.html , and our QA team will do their best to recreate the situation and verify the results in a test environment. This information, if verified, would then be passed along to the Development team for resolution. While this will not get your lost items back, it may help us to prevent this situation happening to yourself or other players in the future, making Ultima Online a better world for all our players.

Finally, we do ask that you respect the Terms of Service (http://www.uo.com/agreement.html ) which you agreed to at the time you created your account with us. This agreement clearly states that use of the service and the software is at your sole risk, and that we assume no responsibility for any damages suffered by you, including, but not limited to, loss of data, items or characters. While we do sympathize with your losses in the game, we must respectfully request that you take our limitations and current technological capabilities into consideration in this matter.
But if you are a tamer,the Devs will copy a prodo shard onto TC for verification so they can get their pets back. This is an obvious double standard at work here.

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Victoria - I think when it affects a large number of players, Something needs to be done.

They've returned my Ethereal that disapeared once before too, So I'm not sure its 'double standards'.

V

Victoria Navarre

I offer you, sir, some fine cheese to go with the beverage you seem to have copious amounts of.

IBTL
I'll ask you as I asked another poster. Why? Why would this thread be locked? As far as I know,no one has violated roc in this thread.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Same. All stuff I lost was never due to any bug or anything that would relate to the devs fault.

Me thinks the OP needs to take a break.

If there is massive problem that affects a huge number of people, naturally they will fix it. No double standard. It's just the difference between the possibility that the person is just lying to try and get free items or lying because it was truly their fault they lost it and an obvious bug that is proven by the majority of loses.

Of course you have to take into account people who assume it was a bug even though it was their fault.

Nor is there any conspiracy.

V

Victoria Navarre

Victoria - I think when it affects a large number of players, Something needs to be done.

They've returned my Ethereal that disapeared once before too, So I'm not sure its 'double standards'.
Large number of players? Wasn't it three dragons,and 1-2 mares that were returned to the ones that brought them along. Compared to how many hundreds(just guessing with the number) of us that lost items over the years due to bugs?

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the only thing i lost of great importance (that wasnt my doing) was a cloak of corruption.
it was in a box of stuff i had wanted to keep with a few other rare deeds and such and one day i looked inside and it turned into an elf robe.

it was the only cloak i had gotten personally during the event.

the other thing i lost was a box full of runic hammers and pof.. i didnt lock it down or something and it disappeared. :( (could have been a stealther and now my work room is stealth proof)

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LOL I have lost so much heck I have lost count.
This is the reason I love the pet summoning balls, and always have my pets hooked up to one at all times. Alot of times my pets have gone poof dead or alive they come back when I click on the summoning ball.
I have a WW that is 7 GMed that I cannot even take out hunting anywhere, because it will take off and leave me to face a dragon on my own. It's always hooked up to a summoning ball.
I have a nightmare that likes to roam freely around UO while I'm not on. log in summon my GD get the message you have to many follower out. He's at it again. summon the nightmare recall to stable, stable it. then unstable the GD. I even transfer it to another tamer account and it still does the same thing.
So yes pets go poof but you have a better chance on receive those pets back hooked up to a summoning ball.

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But since this is obviously simply a rant post related to the event incident, read this from Mesanna:
From RC's locked thread.

I am very sorry this happened last night, and yes I messed up by giving out pets last night.

7 pets were given out - 2 mares, 1 black horse, and 4 dragons. All dragons were deleted. The mares will be found and fixed.

As you know from Dudleys post, message me and I will verify your pet on TC1.

We are doing our best to fix this, please be patient.
http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=182402

Mesanna notes that it was a mistake giving out the pets and has been fixing it.

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Large number of players? Wasn't it three dragons,and 1-2 mares that were returned to the ones that brought them along. Compared to how many hundreds(just guessing with the number) of us that lost items over the years due to bugs?
It was 7 people at the one event though, Seems fine to me they would do their best to fix it.

V

Victoria Navarre

No, just take a break to calm down. Clearly you have a short fuse.

But how about this question:

What items have you NOT lost over the years due to bugs?
About this,I do have a short fuse. For years this game has "eaten" items from not just me,but many others as well and we would get the "we can't help you" answer each time if we asked for help. One time something unintended happens and tamers are effected the devs are scambling to get their pets back to them and fast. They even go as far as copying Chessy over to TC for a few tamers....wow. Where is this type of help for us that don't play tamers?

V

Victoria Navarre

It was 7 people at the one event though, Seems fine to me they would do their best to fix it.
I have no problem with those that lost their pets to get therm returned. My question is "Where was this effort months/years ago for those that lost non-pet items?"

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wish I knew the answer to that, Last year I unmounted my polar bear ethy and never got the statuette in my bag, I called a GM and after 24 hours of 'investigating' (I assume to check if I actually had a polar bear) they were able to return this to me.

Why don't they do this for everyone that looses something? I don't know... :(

C

canary

I have no problem with those that lost their pets to get therm returned. My question is "Where was this effort months/years ago for those that lost non-pet items?"
Well, there obviously was NO effort months/ years ago.

Edit: I think the players who willfully lied about having pets just to get them should receive some sort of temp ban.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
About this,I do have a short fuse. For years this game has "eaten" items from not just me,but many others as well and we would get the "we can't help you" answer each time if we asked for help. One time something unintended happens and tamers are effected the devs are scambling to get their pets back to them and fast. They even go as far as copying Chessy over to TC for a few tamers....wow. Where is this type of help for us that don't play tamers?
Mesanna notes that it was a mistake to hand out pets. But here is the difference:

They KNOW it was their fault the pets died. They KNOW because they were there, they witnessed it, the EM admitted it wasn't the players fault. Because they KNOW they will try to replace the pets.

Other items in the past are only CLAIMED to have been lost due to bugs. Unless a GM/EM/Dev is present and witnessed the loss of items, how are they to truly know the item lost was not the players fault or that the item ever existed? They don't.

Sure they can go to test but that doesn't prove it wasn't the fault of the player at all.

People make mistakes, they lie, they don't want to admit fault and thus want to blame the game, a bug, the devs, someone else. This is why they don't replace items unless they know full-well it wasn't the players fault. The recent event is an example of the devs knowing it wasn't the players fault.

V

Victoria Navarre

Mesanna notes that it was a mistake to hand out pets. But here is the difference:

They KNOW it was their fault the pets died. They KNOW because they were there, they witnessed it, the EM admitted it wasn't the players fault. Because they KNOW they will try to replace the pets.

Other items in the past are only CLAIMED to have been lost due to bugs. Unless a GM/EM/Dev is present and witnessed the loss of items, how are they to truly know the item lost was not the players fault or that the item ever existed? They don't.

Sure they can go to test but that doesn't prove it wasn't the fault of the player at all.

People make mistakes, they lie, they don't want to admit fault and thus want to blame the game, a bug, the devs, someone else. This is why they don't replace items unless they know full-well it wasn't the players fault. The recent event is an example of the devs knowing it wasn't the players fault.
Ok...so I am lying if I say my locked down lamp posts vanished after server down,unless an EM or Dev actually sees it happen? What are the odds of an EM or Dev to be remotely close to my plot right after server up?....wait hold on...someone holding an oversized $25 million check is knocking on my door...be right back.....:lol:

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok...so I am lying if I say my locked down lamp posts vanished after server down,unless an EM or Dev actually sees it happen? What are the odds of an EM or Dev to be remotely close to my plot right after server up?....wait hold on...someone holding an oversized $25 million check is knocking on my door...be right back.....:lol:
How are the devs to know that for sure? You may not lie but the person next to you will lie.

How about I just say I lost my Ethy when it was locked down? How about I say that my artifact vanished from my bag? How about I say that 5 mil is missing from my bank?

None of that is true though. Should they believe me?

I don't think I need to tell you that if they replaced items just by trusting the word of the player, that system would be abused so badly. They can't trust one person but not the other. If they replace your item they would have to go back and do the same for others.

V

Victoria Navarre

How are the devs to know that for sure? You may not lie but the person next to you will lie.

How about I just say I lost my Ethy when it was locked down? How about I say that my artifact vanished from my bag? How about I say that 5 mil is missing from my bank?

None of that is true though. Should they believe me?

I don't think I need to tell you that if they replaced items just by trusting the word of the player, that system would be abused so badly.
I do understand your reasoning of course,but the effort that the devs have done to make this right with the few tamers makes me say "What the hell! What am I? Chopped liver??"

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
VN, they don't replace lost or stolen items because 99.99999% of the time there's simply no proof. There's no way to know someone actually lost something. In this, .000001% instance, there is actual factual knowledge that a player(s) lost something.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do understand your reasoning of course,but the effort that the devs have done to make this right with the few tamers makes me say "What the hell! What am I? Chopped liver??"
True, but read Mesanna's post. She acknowledges it was wrong to hand out the pets.

Also they are doing this because the EM directly caused this trouble earlier. It was not the players fault but the EM's. The EM knows this and apparently asked Mesanna to help.

C

canary

*takes out wand and waves it*

Poof! You are chopped liver.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
had to think really hard about this question, and other than my sanity, nothing that can't be replaced :lol:

F

Flora Green

I understand your point Viper, but it's also not the players fault that items locked down in their houses for months disappeared. Or insured items stayed on the corpse, etc. It was someone's fault, but because there wasn't a witness or a name attached as in the case of the EM on Chessy, the items are lost supposedly without a chance of return. If an ethy can be returned, you would think other items can be as well regardless of who is around.

I play on Chessy, but I have no idea who the people involved are and wasn't at the event. The items I've lost through the years are long gone and I've gotten over that. Aside from a bug causing my house to fall, I don't see me leaving the game because I lose an item. Things happen. But, a double standard has been applied apparently in other instances besides the recent event and it isn't right. Personally I would prefer the "we don't replace any items for anyone" rule be consistently enforced at all times.

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only thing that I am aware I have lost (besides my sanity) is a blessed piece of my armor. Fortunately, it was a piece that I had a spare to, so I was able to replace it.

I empathize with those who lost pets at the EM event. I also applaud the attempts to get people back their pets. I do not hink that anyone should get anything back that cannot be proven through the TC shard method that they are using (as Messanna has indicated).

edit: however, I do not think that using this method of proof should be used except in extreme situations. Otherwise, everyone will call for actin for every single gold coin they lose, as well as people working to exploit this system.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've had stuff fall under the house foundation where it couldn't be reached. All the little tricks for retrieving items in that situation that I could find here on Stratics didn't work. Paging a GM resulted in the usual canned response about not being able to replace lost items. And yet I've seen people post here thanking various GMs for retrieving items that fell under their house foundation.

Who knows why the GMs do things for some people and not for others. All I know is that inconsistencies like this annoy the heck out of me. Why some people in the game aren't treated the same as others when we all pay the same subscription fees is something I just cannot fathom.

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've had stuff fall under the house foundation where it couldn't be reached. All the little tricks for retrieving items in that situation that I could find here on Stratics didn't work. Paging a GM resulted in the usual canned response about not being able to replace lost items. And yet I've seen people post here thanking various GMs for retrieving items that fell under their house foundation.

Who knows why the GMs do things for some people and not for others. All I know is that inconsistencies like this annoy the heck out of me. Why some people in the game aren't treated the same as others when we all pay the same subscription fees is something I just cannot fathom.
Unfortunately, a lot of these situations arise due to their being different GMs. Even simple fixes are sometimes not simple for people. I know of countless times of customers calling up and speking to one of my agents, and getting stonewalled, over simple things. They get me, and I help them.

BUT, it depends on the person you get. I have been known to drive an hour into work on Sunday to retrieve a package that was shipped with an incorrect address (shippers error), take the package and drive 45 minutes each way to NW NJ (the Boondocks if you will), to deliver the package. Company policy dictates that what I did was not the correct response (shippers errors could result in delays). I will guarantee that not a lot of people where I worked would have done that, they would have spouted the comnpany policy, there was not anything that they could do, and Monday or Tuesday, the package would be delivered. If they have any complaints, call the shipper that made the error.

It all depends on who you get, and even what mood they are in when you get them.

Perhaps wearing a luck suit when submitting a GM call would help us sometimes :)

T

Trebr Drab

I lost mah pee pee. I think I lost it the very first time I logged in so many years ago. I searched for it, oh yes. I used a magnifying glass, and still could not find it. I think it must have dropped to the ground on log in. "That's a bug I shall report", I told myself. But as much as I searched, I could not find it. I found some deadwood once, and I mistakenly thought I'd found mah pee pee! I carried that deadwood around for a very long time, until I found out it's just another thang in UO. So, I was once again bemoaning the loss of mah pee pee.

Curse you, UO! I'm playing MO!

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
Ummm... effort that the Associate Producer put in. The one who is in charge of the Event Moderators. New tools were introduced "minor opps" came with it. The Associate Producer in charge of the EM program attempted to correct the situation, that was caused by her team. Since the EMs & (AP) team is our daily in game interaction team they were able to respond quickly because they knew the new tools used and created a way to verify such things. The EM & (AP) team used different resources they had available to them on spot to build at least a basic picture of what went missing.

You are not Chopped Liver. I would say you are a Full Healthy Liver.

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In the last week i have lost 60 blue crystals and 7 yellow and a full set of virtue tiles, that i know of, the floor of my home is like a sieve just now

not happy but life goes on, oh and it was my fault i am sure, or there is a nasty stealther hiding in my house

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First few months in the game I got me that small marble workshop. Paid a load for it but thats one those good old days post. When I decoed it figure I'd use those nifty Treasure chest as containers. Turned out at the time at server refresh any wood type treasure chest facing East would empty at refresh. Another good old days the GM showed up at my house turned it inside out till He learned of the glitch and informed me of it. "Sorry for your loss" early lesson on the game.

Why when my archers PBD on a bow upon death in fel was lost......never tried much to care. Bought the last few PS needed and have had no need for fel. Long list of reasons beside PBD for my fel retirement.

Not really a loss but remember the good old reverts? I rolled the dice on enhancing three items that had a snow balls chance to enhance. 2 of the 3 made it. REVERT. Second try all broke.