• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

We’ve opened EA-Land to free players!

G

GregK

We’ve opened EA-Land to free players!

Free players will be restricted in what they can do whereas subscribers have full access to all features of the game.

Read more about it here: http://tso-e.com/blog/?p=557

Regards,
gk

G

Congrats to all the Free Players, Welcome from TC3 Everyone who is free! Welcome to EA Land!

G

well at least Greg's message came out better than Pari's did lol

G

<blockquote><hr>

I can enter skill lots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are u a free player or a paying member?

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

I can enter skill lots.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry guys but they stuffed up again.
Yes a free player can not only enter skill lots, they can also enter money lots and earn money.
All you have to do it seems is be in a property, and go to a money or skill lot from there.
I have a free player sim that owns his own property "lol, 12 x 12", I had him in there and checked to see if he could go to my playing premium accounts sim money house. All I did is look him up in my bookmarks, bring up his property, and in he went. He could also do the money jobs in there.
Sorry guys, but I think it's best to let these guys know.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

I can enter skill lots.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry guys but they stuffed up again.
Yes a free player can not only enter skill lots, they can also enter money lots and earn money.
All you have to do it seems is be in a property, and go to a money or skill lot from there.
I have a free player sim that owns his own property "lol, 12 x 12", I had him in there and checked to see if he could go to my playing premium accounts sim money house. All I did is look him up in my bookmarks, bring up his property, and in he went. He could also do the money jobs in there.
Sorry guys, but I think it's best to let these guys know.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree this is best to let Greg and the crew know about this, nice catch

T

TSO-E Sarah

Thanks all. Complete bummer that we knew about this weeks ago and just thought it was looked after. Oh well. Please note that free players will still get zero payouts. If you see anything to the contrary, please let us know again.

Thanks!

G

Lol, as I said, they do get payouts.

Edited after going back in to EA Land, they do get paid, but when u go back in it's gone.

T

TSO-E Sarah

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it. Please give me a character name to look into. Thanks again.

G

He got paid, but when I logged him back in the money had he had earned had gone.

T

TSO-E Sarah

<blockquote><hr>

Edited after going back in to EA Land, they do get paid, but when u go back in it's gone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good. That part is my baby so I'm glad to hear that it works as tested. We want to retain reasons for people to become subscribers.

G

I see, they can go in, and see what it's all about, earn skills and money. But when they go back in later they lose it again. That's ok then.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Good. That part is my baby so I'm glad to hear that it works as tested. We want to retain reasons for people to become subscribers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can that explain this?

D

Dogsoffour

I'm a paying member and lost earned simoleans when I logged in again later they were gone.

G

Okay - You guys who are losing money (I haven't had a chance yet today to log in and test it myself): Look at the top of your Sim Profile. Does it say "Standard" or "Free"? Or does it say "Premium"?

Sarah: I have a concern about the payout issue for free accounts. As has been observed, free account sims get paid, but do not retain the money after logout. Can they give the money they earned to another sim? Put it in a tip jar? Buy objects? If they can use or trade their earnings at all, then I see a significant problem!

I

imported_Spacey

This is great news for new players.

One concern...
If they can make money, can they spend it? Before logging out and losing their money, can they go to a store and buy something (transferring the money to the store), put it in tip jars, transfer to another sim? If so... I see a major problem in the future.

G

They have fixed it now, my visitor sim can still go in to a money house that way.
But he can no longer get payment at all now. Just stays on zero.
I think this is accually pretty good the way it is. Gives newbies a look at things like pizza and code and makes it so they can help others, like with numbers on single player money objects and skilling. I like it that they can get in the back door that way. If it's a bug, it's a bug worth leaving alone.

I

imported_remflyer

Thank you for the information and welcome to all the new players who are trying out our game. I have a couple of questions that maybe someone here can answer. On the blog it said, <blockquote><hr>

I’m a subscriber now: How do I become a free player?

Well, … you can unsubcribe.
You will still be able to log in using your same account name and password and access your same characters, but, as described above, your access to game features will be limited.

[/ QUOTE ]
Since you can keep your same characters does that mean you also keep any skills and or skill locks you have earned while you paided to play? Do you keep the money and objects that you have already earned as those characters? What if you already own a size 8 lot what happens to that if you switch to a free account?

Are we going to be allowed to switch back and forth one month paying and the next month free?

I

Inge Jones

Now I am confused. I thought part of the reason for having free accounts available was to boost the in-game economy by having people with simolean spending power who do not necessarily have a credit card (eg they may be too young). I thought this was to make it more worthwhile for subscribers to play and operate businesses?

So, you'd want there to be a way for free players to purchase or earn simloleans in a non-regular-subscription way, like maybe having tokens bought for them as birthday presents which translate to simoleans. Or they could become paid roommates for shops and other properties.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Thank you for the information and welcome to all the new players who are trying out our game. I have a couple of questions that maybe someone here can answer. On the blog it said, <blockquote><hr>

I’m a subscriber now: How do I become a free player?

Well, … you can unsubcribe.
You will still be able to log in using your same account name and password and access your same characters, but, as described above, your access to game features will be limited.

[/ QUOTE ]
Since you can keep your same characters does that mean you also keep any skills and or skill locks you have earned while you paided to play? Do you keep the money and objects that you have already earned as those characters? What if you already own a size 8 lot what happens to that if you switch to a free account?

Are we going to be allowed to switch back and forth one month paying and the next month free?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had cancelled my subscription on an account that just yesterday went out of time. He is now classed as a visitor. He did have a size 4 lot, now it's 12 x 12, which is ok, I don't mind that. He kept all his skills, and although he had no money when he retired, I gave him 2k from my premium account that he seems to be holding onto ok.
Hope that helps, that’s all I know so far.

I

imported_remflyer

Well that is interesting. Did he have trees and a house on that size 4 lot? If so what happen to the house and the landscaping? You mean you kept the same lot? Did he have any objects when you switched over? Have you retained your skill earned interactions?

G

Bear in mind, I'm still trying to figure all this out myself, but... The way I understand it, free players can own property, but no larger than a size 0 lot. Free players can buy property, and they can gain simoleans from other players or the ATM, but not through jobs or money objects. Free players cannot gain skills, but they can keep any locked skills.

So, going by that, the effect of reverting to a free accout from a paid one is that your lot shrinks, you can no longer make money from jobs or money objects, and you can no longer skill. But, other than that, you're golden!

I

Inge Jones

That sounds a bit better balanced. Though I am not sure how good an idea it is not to allow the free players to skill. Some young people whose parents won't pay for a subscription could actually have had a lot to offer the other players in terms of teaching and serenading etc. And really, if they can't advance their sim in *any way at all* are they not going to start to feel it's all a bit aimless and maybe get dispirited before they get to the point where they can begin to subscribe?

Perhaps a better angle would be to allow skilling but don't give free players any locks? And on a similar theme, if locks could be regarded as the "perk" of being a subscriber, could locks be buyable (by subscribers only)? If stopping the subscription automatically deleted the locks, and someone had worked really hard or paid to get the locks in the first place, that might be a market force to dissuade people stopping their subscriptions impulsively.

G

<blockquote><hr>

That sounds a bit better balanced. Though I am not sure how good an idea it is not to allow the free players to skill. Some young people whose parents won't pay for a subscription could actually have had a lot to offer the other players in terms of teaching and serenading etc. And really, if they can't advance their sim in *any way at all* are they not going to start to feel it's all a bit aimless and maybe get dispirited before they get to the point where they can begin to subscribe?

Perhaps a better angle would be to allow skilling but don't give free players any locks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they have full access to TC3, so when it comes to the advancing of skills, money, etc, they can experience it there? As much as it would make sense to give free players more benefits, in the long run it is best to keep them limited so that they will get just enough of a taste to want to subscribe.

I

Inge Jones

<blockquote><hr>

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they have full access to TC3, so when it comes to the advancing of skills, money, etc, they can experience it there? As much as it would make sense to give free players more benefits, in the long run it is best to keep them limited so that they will get just enough of a taste to want to subscribe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I am actually seeing free players as a consumer base, audience, and supporting cast to the subscribers, you see. Not just as people trying it out with a view to either subscribing or leaving after a few weeks. So I don't think it would be a good idea to set it up in such a way that the vast majority of free players are self-coralled into the Test city.

Some very dedicated potential subscribers may be in an age group that means they have to wait up to a couple of years before they can choose to subscribe, and in that time they could become established and much-loved members of EA Land. I think it should be possible to pitch the perks of subscription in such a way that it doesn't make it pointless to try and play and develop your sim in EA Land, while still offering enough extra benefits to make it worth subscribing as soon as you become able to.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I am actually seeing free players as a consumer base, audience, and supporting cast to the subscribers, you see. Not just as people trying it out with a view to either subscribing or leaving after a few weeks. So I don't think it would be a good idea to set it up in such a way that the vast majority of free players are self-coralled into the Test city.

Some very dedicated potential subscribers may be in an age group that means they have to wait up to a couple of years before they can choose to subscribe, and in that time they could become established and much-loved members of EA Land. I think it should be possible to pitch the perks of subscription in such a way that it doesn't make it pointless to try and play and develop your sim in EA Land, while still offering enough extra benefits to make it worth subscribing as soon as you become able to.

[/ QUOTE ]

You make a good point. Elaborate a little on what kind of limitations can be placed on free accounts so that they may develop their sims. Perhaps the ability to skill, but with NO locks? Or maybe a reduced payout - say 1/2 of the usual payout, and WITHOUT the option to cash out? What are your ideas?

I

Inge Jones

<blockquote><hr>

You make a good point. Elaborate a little on what kind of limitations can be placed on free accounts so that they may develop their sims. Perhaps the ability to skill, but with NO locks? Or maybe a reduced payout - say 1/2 of the usual payout, and WITHOUT the option to cash out? What are your ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well thinking of real life analogies, thinking of subscribers as nationalised citizens, consider the idea of a "work permit" being a civil right rather than a basic human right. Therefore only subscribers would be able to take employment or earn money in Money houses. However, free players (in the analogy of visa-holding non-nationalised residents) may receive charity from or casual employment by other players, for example as shop assistants or cleaners. Payment for these services would be by direct gift of simoleans or by tip jar (only the one with their actual name on it, not a share of an unnamed tip jar).

Property may not be owned by a non-subscriber, not even a size 0 (some real life nations don't allow foreigners to own property) but a free player may become a room mate of a subscriber. This will be helpful to subscribers running skill houses and shops etc.

Skilling should be allowed, after all in RL people are allowed to study without being a citizen, but locks should be considered a subscriber perk. Subscribers should also be allowed to purchase extra locks, but free players should not be allowed any. I believe this would be a major encouragement to subscribe, but not be such a huge detriment to the free players that it puts them off playing - they'd just have to work a lot harder to keep their skills.

Oh and of course no ability to cash out! The economy belongs to the "citizens". In fact I would think it fair to expect a player to have subscribed for one month before being allowed to cash out a balance of more simoleans than they have purchased at an ATM. Would reduce the risk of hit and run scammers.

D

DGLita

Just hitting reply

This is going to be interesting, I cant wait to see which store fills up with 30 afk sims on free accounts thereby blocking any customers from getting in. Im pretty sure that at least one of the top 2 are more interested in the top position than in the number of customers they serve

D

dirndingle

I played TSO in later beta and then off and on for the next couple of years, but eventually left altogether for Second Life. I watched as Second Life went through this same transition - when the Linden dollar took on RL value. Linden Lab did the same thing - they removed any easy money earning potential from the free accounts. They had to, because their currency had taken on RL exchange value. No more just creating "money" from thin air. It really cannot be any other way.

N

NightFlyer

What concerns me is the ability to create neighborhoods on free accounts.

Didn't we have enough of that with the abuse of trial accounts in the legacy cities?

Maybe EA should make it so the property the free account holders have can not join or create neighborhood affilitions.

I am tired of seeing the SOMESTUPIDMAFIA PWNS ALL type of neighborhoods. And they will be there if this is allowed.

I

Inge Jones

<blockquote><hr>

Just hitting reply

This is going to be interesting, I cant wait to see which store fills up with 30 afk sims on free accounts thereby blocking any customers from getting in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well a genuine shop owner would want to staff his property with just the right number of staff to serve the customers and not stop them getting in. Maybe it's time to stop basing the top 100 lists on the number of visitors, but rather base them on performance. Skilling lot rating could be based on the number of skill points gained during the past day, while shop ratings could be based on simolean turnover or profit or something. Service lot ratings could be based on amount of motive raised in the past day, and welcome lots on number of visitors with accounts under one month old. That would only leave the "offbeat" lots to be rated on number of visitors.

G

No cash out will not work because you could have one paid account
and several free accounts and just pass all your money over to your
paid acct to cash out.

I

Inge Jones

<blockquote><hr>

No cash out will not work because you could have one paid account
and several free accounts and just pass all your money over to your
paid acct to cash out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really see a problem with that. It's still one particular accountable human doing the cashing out, which still somewhat guards against scamming, as it is possible for EA to track this person if necessary. If it's all fair play rather than a scam, I already said that there is no reason why free account holders should not be useful to the subscribers

G

Imo free accounts should have access to all types of lot and be able to enjoy the social aspects of being on a busy lot. Mostly only skill lots are full.

It would also be good for lot designers or very casual players. I'd love to still be able to add some creativity to the game by making nice lots of other players, but I don't think it's worth 10$ a month for me, as building is the only aspect of the game I like and -in contrast with old TSO- I am now 100% depending on other players to provide me with the resources to build.

I

Inge Jones

Under my idea, you would be able to build lots with a free account by being made a temporary room-mate of the person you were building for, for however long the build took. He can then hand over any fee you happened to have agreed between you.

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Well thinking of real life analogies, thinking of subscribers as nationalised citizens, consider the idea of a "work permit" being a civil right rather than a basic human right. Therefore only subscribers would be able to take employment or earn money in Money houses. However, free players (in the analogy of visa-holding non-nationalised residents) may receive charity from or casual employment by other players, for example as shop assistants or cleaners. Payment for these services would be by direct gift of simoleans or by tip jar (only the one with their actual name on it, not a share of an unnamed tip jar).

Property may not be owned by a non-subscriber, not even a size 0 (some real life nations don't allow foreigners to own property) but a free player may become a room mate of a subscriber. This will be helpful to subscribers running skill houses and shops etc.

Skilling should be allowed, after all in RL people are allowed to study without being a citizen, but locks should be considered a subscriber perk. Subscribers should also be allowed to purchase extra locks, but free players should not be allowed any. I believe this would be a major encouragement to subscribe, but not be such a huge detriment to the free players that it puts them off playing - they'd just have to work a lot harder to keep their skills.

Oh and of course no ability to cash out! The economy belongs to the "citizens". In fact I would think it fair to expect a player to have subscribed for one month before being allowed to cash out a balance of more simoleans than they have purchased at an ATM. Would reduce the risk of hit and run scammers.

[/ QUOTE ]

If a free account player cannot earn simoleans , why would they need skill locks anyway other then for the use of interactions? Also, I have known many sim builders and roof artist that already provide this service for a fee. My question is would they be opposed to this since it would be taking business away from them?

I

Inge Jones

<blockquote><hr>

If a free account player cannot earn simoleans , why would they need skill locks anyway other then for the use of interactions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, skill locks are nice to have for anyone who doesn't want to have to keep redoing their last skill point! The idea I have in mind about skilling is the free player can make an investment of *effort* into their sim, with a view that one day they may be able to afford a subscription. As soon as they get that subscription they will be able to reap the rewards of the time they have already invested. It will be a great incentive to subscribe.

Similarly those who have been roomies of subscribers helping in their shops etc may be saving up their tips and maybe buying stuff for their "bottom drawer" (aka inventory) looking forward to the time they may be able to buy their very own property.

I just feel these ideas give a sort of natural continuum from free account to subscription, which provides an increasing incentive to subscribe.

<blockquote><hr>

Also, I have known many sim builders and roof artist that already provide this service for a fee. My question is would they be opposed to this since it would be taking business away from them?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the property owner would be keen to get the best roof or building he can afford. I can't see it being popular telling him he can't use the designer who can do fantastic roofs just because that player does not subscribe. Even in real life, if there is a job that a foreigner can do better than a national, the would-be employer can apply for leave to employ that person and get him a temporary work permit.

The point is what is good for the "citizens". It's good for the citizens to have players on free accounts playing in a supporting role, balanced against just enough stick and carrot to encourage them to subscribe - because that's how we make sure we can keep the game actually online!

G

<blockquote><hr>

Also, I have known many sim builders and roof artist that already provide this service for a fee. My question is would they be opposed to this since it would be taking business away from them?

[/ QUOTE ]

For a simbuilder or roof artist to be able to do his/her job as a free account player he needs the following things:

* unlimited access to any lot(type)
* ability to become a roommate
* ability to build
* ability to trade money with other players

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

If a free account player cannot earn simoleans , why would they need skill locks anyway other then for the use of interactions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, skill locks are nice to have for anyone who doesn't want to have to keep redoing their last skill point! The idea I have in mind about skilling is the free player can make an investment of *effort* into their sim, with a view that one day they may be able to afford a subscription. As soon as they get that subscription they will be able to reap the rewards of the time they have already invested. It will be a great incentive to subscribe.

Similarly those who have been roomies of subscribers helping in their shops etc may be saving up their tips and maybe buying stuff for their "bottom drawer" (aka inventory) looking forward to the time they may be able to buy their very own property.

I just feel these ideas give a sort of natural continuum from free account to subscription, which provides an increasing incentive to subscribe.

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the property owner would be keen to get the best roof or building he can afford. I can't see it being popular telling him he can't use the designer who can do fantastic roofs just because that player does not subscribe. Even in real life, if there is a job that a foreigner can do better than a national, the would-be employer can apply for leave to employ that person and get him a temporary work permit.

The point is what is good for the "citizens". It's good for the citizens to have players on free accounts playing in a supporting role, balanced against just enough stick and carrot to encourage them to subscribe - because that's how we make sure we can keep the game actually online!

[/ QUOTE ]

I would just hate to see the already paying subscribers lose interest in this game because of the services that they have to offer are being basically sub-contracted out.
I don't want to chance losing these players to potential maybes. I dunno, its a hard call.

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

For a simbuilder or roof artist to be able to do his/her job as a free account player he needs the following things:

* unlimited access to any lot(type)
* ability to become a roommate
* ability to build
* ability to trade money with other players

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, and that is why I feel that these kinds of services should be left for paying customers and not free accounts as stated in my last reply.

G

OK Wait, hold on to your socks, lol
Here I go running at the mouth!
I have 3 paid accounts.
I used to have 4 sims in TC3. The other day I gave my lots and all my stuff away and retired my sims, because I was fed up with free players comming to my lot and begging for money or free objects. (I gave my stuff to paying players by the way) I would say no to the beggers, kick them out and ban them. They were not even nice beggers. They basically harassed me untill I got very frustrated. I hope this does not start up in EA-land now that there are free players there. It is hard enough to run a lot with 30 sims on it, but beggers too. I will not put up with it in ea-land.

I

Inge Jones

Perhaps that could be one of the options you can set on a lot? Whether free account sims can use the lot?

G

<blockquote><hr>

I would just hate to see the already paying subscribers lose interest in this game because of the services that they have to offer are being basically sub-contracted out.
I don't want to chance losing these players to potential maybes. I dunno, its a hard call.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a very valid point though. If you give free accounts too many 'rights', people won't see the need to subscribe.

Nonetheless, I'm preaching for my own choir here. Current lotdesign business is close to zero. There's nobody in all of EA-land having apparent interest in my services. And if *I* (a reasonably known lot designer with a clear portfolio) can hardly get any customers, how will other designers get by when all their friends have their lot done? I think EA-land is the death of the lot designer due to the highly expensive building costs and zero margin for errors (errors cost money; there is no undo). So I will keep on advocating just enough rights for the free players (let's call them fremen hehe) to be able to continue my business

Current creativity in the game almost solely has to come from custom content as it's a relative cheap way to create original things. Building nice lots costs thousands of simoleans every single time. The balance is off. And to go offtopic even more... if they add a 2nd or 3rd floor option and make lotbuilding virtually free, I will definately organize another lot design contest, probably yielding over a 100 contestants... *drooling over a huge neighbourhood featuring the best lot designs*. Currently however this is completely impossible

I

imported_Gracie Nito

In order to design a home and resell it, you must have customers. The current subscriber base is a majority of long time players or returning players that know how to build a houses and actually enjoy this aspect of the game.

Potential customers for house designers will always be people that do not want to try to build on their own or don't want to waste money learning how to build.
Until the subscriber base of players that meet these qualifications increases, home designs and real estate market will be long term and slow investments.

G

I knew a catch was attached to that form letter I received from Luc about returning and playing for free. Even though limited, I may come back to check it out.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

If anything Elga you have to come back to see all the amazing custom content players have been adding to the game. While it is still in its infancy, the custom content is sure to grow and really diversify our world!

G

At no cost to me, it sounds like a win win situation. Now if I can find some time, I'll be there..

G

the idea of free membership should be to attract more ppl to see the game and hopefully subscribe , we need to make these free members go everywhere and do everything, but limited. For instance, let them visit money &amp; skill houses, however, gaining only $1 per sell? or dont gain anything .. its just for them to “try” them out! Let them go to skill houses, but only at a speed of 33%, have a limit of 5 points all together (assuming 1 point for each skill) .. again, just to “try” it out! These higher skills shall not increase payout per jam(..)

Allow free members to visit service lots, try out role-playing, sim jobs, shops, discos,own a size 0 land with no or residence category - just for the sake for them to try out the buy and build mode…

Without giving them such opportunities to see the game, they will get bored, leave and never subscribe … you are not even giving them the full opportunity to see how the subscribers are playing the game and enjoying all its features.

I hope this is taken into consideration.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

the idea of free membership should be to attract more ppl to see the game and hopefully subscribe , we need to make these free members go everywhere and do everything, but limited. For instance, let them visit money &amp; skill houses, however, gaining only $1 per sell? or dont gain anything .. its just for them to “try” them out! Let them go to skill houses, but only at a speed of 33%, have a limit of 5 points all together (assuming 1 point for each skill) .. again, just to “try” it out! These higher skills shall not increase payout per jam(..)

Allow free members to visit service lots, try out role-playing, sim jobs, shops, discos,own a size 0 land with no or residence category - just for the sake for them to try out the buy and build mode…

Without giving them such opportunities to see the game, they will get bored, leave and never subscribe … you are not even giving them the full opportunity to see how the subscribers are playing the game and enjoying all its features.

I hope this is taken into consideration.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rather than allowing them into "real" skill and money houses. Why not revamp the Welcome Category. Allow single money objects that pay 0 there and allow skilling at a slower pace. A nice little popup saying how much money they would have earned if they were a subscriber would be funny. No skill locks but still the ability to interact with objects and learn how to use them. It's not likely they can do much with 10skill points anyway.

Keep in mind free accounts cannot ever earn money using objects because a botter with 300 free accounts could still ruin the economy even with $1 per object pay.