• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Player News) Voter Fraud in New Magincia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nails Warstein

Royal Explorer & Grand Archaeologian Of Sosaria
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
As some of you may already know, there were two Nails Warsteins running for governor of New Magincia along side a player named Ma Nerva on Atlantic. Unsure of which Nails to vote for, my supporters voted for the Nails that had votes already, as did I. This Nails was leading all week right up until the end with more than 70% of the vote. Turns out that Nails Warstein was the imposter who resigned from running in the final hour, clearing the way for Ma Nerva to win with very few votes.

If players can employ such tactics to win through cheating, and assume responsibility for their new found position, I can only surmise this aspect of the game is broken, and not working as intended. I realize that this form chicanery isn't new to elections, and I believe plausible solutions were offered, but never implemented. Hopefully they will consider fixing this now.

I wish my opponent the best of luck in their new found position. I hope they don't mind winning this way, I know I certainly would. If I were them, I would do the honorable act of resigning. I personally couldn't be satisfied knowing that I did not win the support of players that earned this position of governor fairly and squarely. I would feel too guilty accepting a win knowing someone who should have won legitimately did not. Let's see if they can display this same strength of character and prove themselves capable of true leadership. Perhaps this is what they intend to do after all? Only time will tell.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nails, did the stone show your guild name or were your character and the look-alike character unguilded at the time they used the stone to throw their hat in the ring? (If I remember correctly, Kyronix told us a long time ago when this system was still on test that your character's guild information was captured at that point only and wouldn't change or be added if it joined or changed guilds later.)

I barely play on Atlantic, but this post kind of caught my eye as it was the top post showing for Atlantic. It's really disappointing to read that something like this happened yet again. I wonder if this kind of situation could be avoided in the future if the stone would also show your character number (the one you see in chat), in addition to showing your guild name. Then candidates would be able to give their character number to supporters if there are any future shenanigans with look-alike character names and guild names.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
I wonder if they could use some of the mannequin code to show the character next to the name? It'd be very hard for a fake to get the exact same clothing, esp for you Nails.

Queen Arya

Rares Fest Host | Atl Sept 2011 & June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
All of our votes we cast for the real Nails are now null and void? So we are down to one vote per account and those votes didnt count? Also for the next 6 months we have a governor that really isnt the Governor Elected.
Looks like theres more work to be done with this voting system!
@ Mesanna
Nails I am sure this can be easily fixed

Toowired

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I too saw both of the names exactly the same so I choose to not Vote with a broken system that is in place. I removed my pet vendors and will not return until after next election...maybe.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ma Nerva is a long known citizen of New Magincia, and in awesome contrast to the last governor, acutally cares to finally set the arcance arts trade deal again, which was plenty funded all the time. I'm pretty sure she will be a good governor this period.

Nails Warstein

Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Ma Nerva is a long known citizen of New Magincia, and in awesome contrast to the last governor, acutally cares to finally set the arcance arts trade deal again, which was plenty funded all the time. I'm pretty sure she will be a good governor this period.
I apologize that I did not serve you to the best of your expectations. I always had the trade deal set, and the current one was actually set by me, no offense, just stating a fact.

I should also state that I am not accusing Ma Nerva of instigating this coup, perhaps they will make an excellent governor. Its just shame they had to win under these particular circumstances. I know I would be disheartened by it all. Would that they could make some comment about these circumstances here, I would find their perspective enlightening.

Last edited:

Zerbee

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lol I love it.
Just like in real life there are dirty politics.
Praise to whoever came up with the idea to redirect the votes. Nothing more boring than seeing the same people run for governor over and over again.

Jordan Thyme

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
While I agree that they need to take a look at the guild/name issue so that no confusion occurs again. I also think they need to take a look at a way to make sure you can only run for Governor on *One* shard per term. I think that by taking up more than one.. It deprives others of the chance, particularly on large population shards.

Frostmore

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Reading this all for the first time I find this despicable. Why not call for another election, just for New Magincia? Or call on the other Governors not to recognize this Ma Nerva in the council? If they played dirty politics let play clean politics! Whether this person participated in the fraud or not never-the-less they are a fraudulent governor and something should be done, a new election, or a protest to such a violation of the democratic process. It doesn't have to to stop here.

Flair

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Reading this all for the first time I find this despicable. Why not call for another election, just for New Magincia? Or call on the other Governors not to recognize this Ma Nerva in the council? If they played dirty politics let play clean politics! Whether this person participated in the fraud or not never-the-less they are a fraudulent governor and something should be done, a new election, or a protest to such a violation of the democratic process. It doesn't have to to stop here.
I believe there was a very large protest yesterday by some citizens

Lord Lew

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There was already a protest on Sunday, it seems that even the animals of the island objected to the way MaNerva won! And in response, she decided to cook her opposition rather than corral them and ascertain why they were upset.

MaNerva wherever you are, I challenge you to stand up and speak for yourself. If you won't do it here, I can assure you that you will have to do it in the first council meeting!

BadBart

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
this is not Fair and this needs to be addressed right away. How can the New Governor say it was a close race???? 2 nails on the ballot the fake nails had 70% of the vote and 1 hour away from it being over the fake nails resigns and this new Governor wins??? How is that a close race New Governor? The town of Moonglow will not rest until this is brought to the King.

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
OZOG BEEES YOOS KING, OZOG BEES SURPREME LEADER OB ALLA DA SHRDS, NO MORE MESANNA EFFER.

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Clearly someone needs to be hanged and their house burned to the ground!

P.S. I'll bring the Marshmallow Ducklings and Chocolate!

Lord Lew

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I Lord Lew, Governor of Trinsic, petition the crown to have Ma Nerva removed from her seat. I am asking the King to have Nails placed in his proper seat, as the books in Serpents Hold show him to be the true Governor of New Maginicia.

Last edited:

Nails Warstein

Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I sincerely appreciate the support I've received both privately and publicly. I apologize that I did not notify the development team about the imposter Nails Warstein in the running for governor of New Magincia. I shouldn't have assumed they could not have fixed this situation while there was time to do so. For that I am deeply sorry, because this whole mess could have been avoided. I just hate to bother the UO Staff unless its a true emergency.

As I stated in my original post. I personally would not want to win an election this way, and I would step down if I did. However at this point, this particular situation can not be resolved by divine intervention. It is up to Ma Nerva, and Ma Nerva alone to decide for themselves if they wish to be honorable and magnanimous. I have no animosity towards Ma Nerva, I don't even really know who they are, and I doubt they know me either. I didn't appreciate the books that were written about the former governor, its not how I prefer to conduct myself. Regardless of that, I think we all should give them this opportunity to garner respect in our community, a chance to either prove themselves as an honorable player willing to concede defeat and the seat of governor of New Magincia to me. They have until the Conseil du Roi meeting on June 29th at 8:00 PM EST to decide. Let's not discuss this point any further, Ma Nerva will now decide the future destiny of New Magincia. Until then you all have my profound gratitude.

Lord Lew

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lady Cat, thank you, I just snort laughed

On a side nite, if Mesanna made that ice cream a clicky that gave out green ozog ice cream, it might distract him from trying to gain kingship of the realm

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I apologize that I did not notify the development team about the imposter Nails Warstein in the running for governor of New Magincia. I shouldn't have assumed they could not have fixed this situation while there was time to do so. For that I am deeply sorry, because this whole mess could have been avoided. I just hate to bother the UO Staff unless its a true emergency.
They were aware of Dot Warner's situation on Great Lakes during the last election. If they didn't act for her, there is no reasonable expectation that they would have for you either.

Broadsword needs to enforce (and possibly update) the terms of service, across the board and equally for everyone. Doing so would do more to improve the game than any update or publish could.

BadBart

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I Summer The Governor of Moonglow WILL NOT sit in my seat next to the King. I will stand at the front of the table and I ask all Governors EXCEPT maginicia to join me in this protest!

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I haven't been in game lately, so this post is the only information on this situation i've seen, but it seems like the king should be able to have a re-election for New Magincia, if Ma Nerva wins again, so be it, if not it would clearly show that either Ma Nerva won only because of a griefing technique and should be punished accordingly. We all know one way or the other Ma Nerva is never going to be taken seriously by the other governors after this, and most likely the citizens will not take her seriously either. Other than the cool title, what reason is their for her to want to be governor knowing few, if any, citizens of any city will respect her or her opinions. I for one certainly will not.

Although I am no longer a governor, If I were I would join Summer in the protest.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
what reason is their for her to want to be governor
As stated before: Last term was a joke in terms of the trade deal. Funded but not set. Maybe she was just missing a governor caring for this only thing which affects us citizens. People posted on the bulletin, but the governor didn't care to read or answer. After all he had left his ICQ there, very RPish! You can go RP, X-shard, lick the King and whatever all day long. But is it so hard to once in a week set the trade deal? Maybe some people just couldn't stand another term of this crap. But let's go vote again so all the vets with their billion accounts can make things the way things are "supposed" to be.

A honorable governor could maybe see this and take it as a lesson. But all i see is endless whining cause someone is now no longer entiteled to be very very important when licking the King.

Also it's not her fault Nails got scammed over not wearing a guild tag. Lesson #2. Some people are just very bad at loosing and now need to find someone to blame for their lack of doing things properly.

If any of the haters had cared for NM / Atl before, they had known Ma Nerva was a candidate almost every term since the system was introduced.

I wish Ma Nerva would just don't mind attending that King's meeting crap, after all the hate in here. What a pointless drama.

Last edited:

Lord Lew

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lesson #2. Some people are just very bad at loosing and now need to find someone to blame for their lack of doing things properly. .
You sure don't seem to grasp the concept of losing and how it handshakes with fair play. One does not truly lose when the opposition cheats to win. But then I don't expect I child to understand such concepts, And I say child because your post was very childish in nature.

It's truly a shame that Ma Nerva will not come to stratics and argue her case, but then I'm sure she has something to hide! The kings council will show her true nature, the one we all saw when she attacked Andrasta a year ago!

Btw, the trade deal is not on an exact timer! Just because it's not on the stone the instant YOU want to use it is not reason for your diatribe here. Jealousy does however fit that bill.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Your overthinking that way too much. I'm not jealous, I'm just unhappy with the last governor. I deeply regret not having taken screenshots all the days i stood in front of the city stone missing any trade deal at all. Thinking "Umm yea, give him some more days, maybe he has not read the bulletin yet". Then some day i gave up. And now i hear "I always had the trade deal set", which is a bloody lie.

And now people not even from this town are telling me we need this governor back?? :coco:

Zerbee

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can't tell if the people in this thread are trying to post in character/roleplay, or are actually completely outraged by this election.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
@petemage I completely understand wanting the trade deal to be active, but I have also experienced the unfair unexpectations people have for the trade deal sometimes, when i was governor of Yew my trade deal was never down for more than 6 hours, ever, not a single time. and usually it only got to 5-6 hours because I was sleeping. Still though, a few people occasionally claimed I "never activated the trade deal" just because It happened to always go down during the 1-2 hours a week they played (not blaming them at all, they were just very unlucky). Governors are people to ya know, they have jobs and real life commitments, so can't be sitting next to their cities stone 24/7 waiting for the trade deal to expire. Also the people here are not "whining" just because Nails didn't win, they are upset because he lost because of a griefing technique, no other reason. If the fake had not been on the stone the real Nails would have had around 70% when the vote ended.

Personally I think the system should be changed so the trade deal can be set to re-activate itself in case the governor isn't able to, but that's up to the devs to decide not us.

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
@petemage I completely understand wanting the trade deal to be active, but I have also experienced the unfair unexpectations people have for the trade deal sometimes, when i was governor of Yew my trade deal was never down for more than 6 hours, ever, not a single time. and usually it only got to 5-6 hours because I was sleeping. Still though, a few people occasionally claimed I "never activated the trade deal" just because It happened to always go down during the 1-2 hours a week they played (not blaming them at all, they were just very unlucky). Governors are people to ya know, they have jobs and real life commitments, so can't be sitting next to their cities stone 24/7 waiting for the trade deal to expire. Also the people here are not "whining" just because Nails didn't win, they are upset because he lost because of a griefing technique, no other reason. If the fake had not been on the stone the real Nails would have had around 70% when the vote ended.

Personally I think the system should be changed so the trade deal can be set to re-activate itself in case the governor isn't able to, but that's up to the devs to decide not us.
MEEES TINK USING DA DEAL YOOOS SHOULD HABE TO PAYS SUMIN

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yep, it seems fair that the citizens should have to pay to use the trade deal instead of the governor paying for it every week, considering the citizens benefit from it alot more than the governor does.

Venora Rhyse

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I'm unsure if Nails was online at the time, or if anyone relayed the message. But a few days ago, Messanna (apologies if I misspelled the name, still learning who is who) made an announcement in game that Nails should speak to her about contesting the position if he had a problem. I don't remember the exact words, so I'm sorry if I don't get it 100% correct. I think there was mention of emailing her? But I don't know if that was said or if I was just thinking of that instead.

Anyhow, with all this going on it's good to know that there's holes in the election process and it's nice to hear players make suggestions on how to resolve it too. This was my very first time voting in an election as the whole process is new to me. Although it was a vote in another city, I can understand how disheartening it could be to know that your vote doesn't count and essentially having it be a slap in the face as if saying "your opinion doesn't matter". So I hope that the powers that be, will get a handle on this problem and fix it before the next election to avoid "he said/she said" chat and hurt feelings for all citizens and governors alike.

I also wanted to say that watching the few elections I've seen prior to voting this election, I did notice that it tends to be the same people being elected and winning. So even tho things didn't go the correct way in the voting process, and if things can't be reversed, then aside from the lessons learned already it can also be viewed at in a good aspect (I'm not saying scams and such should happen, to me it's not right to do, but I'm trying to find the positives in all this).

Nails can take this hiatus as a positive thing so that their other interests can be more focused on, plus saving up money if governors are paying out of their pocket for the trade deals (I never knew this, I assumed it was voters paying for titles and such that went toward the trade deals), and taking a vacation from their prior duties in general or to ponder how they want to improve the next election and seat if they win (which seems likely due to the outcry).

Ma Nerva finally gets the opportunity to see what it's really like as a governor, the good and bad aspects of it (which I'm sure they've already experienced with the debate and dealing with citizens), along with seeing the time needed to put into the role. So this gives them a chance to step up into the role and to show through actions what they're able and willing to do as governor. They may have been thrown into the role not expecting to win, but taking the opportunity to show what they can do since it may never come again.

Another way to look at it being positive, is that this may interest others into considering governorship in future elections just because of the excitement. Which will be nice so that more people will be involved with their town communities in trying to get the word out about themselves for elections.​

Wow, anyhow those are my thoughts. I originally just wanted to relay the message from Messanna in case Nails didn't see it. Just to have those involved and those able to do something about it, discuss it and settle it. However it gets settled not everyone will be happy, but at least it'll be officially settled.

iLLegal Means

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hmm... I have no dog in the fight... but, I find it strange this Ma Nerva (player) hasn't step up and told their side of the story... kind of funny being the Governor elect and not using a forum (any UO forum) to post on.

IMOH, I have no qualms with a player using the games mechanics (even with evil intent), to achieve a desirable effect. Back in the early days that is what made the game special was seeing how creative folks could be using the game mechanics to their favor (even if I was the one that got burnt, I would applaud them for their inventiveness).

BadBart

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Here are some interesting facts i have come upon. ***WARNING THESE ARE JUST FACTS NOT 100% Sure

When I ran for Glow Governor my opponent was Miss Snoockems who wore the same exact outfit and armor as NM.
I just find it very very weird that the same people hanging around Miss Snoockems also hangs with the new mag Governor......

very very very strange to me.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
These are simple things that are constantly overlooked due to bad testing and poor setup. IF you are going to add new things to the game you have to look at it from a exploiters point of view. Take a look at mortal strike right now, they made a simple change to it and now there is no timer on it anymore and is exploited daily. Im pretty sure Ma nerva most likely is the imposter nails, and congrats to him for showing how easy it is to exploit in uo. This is why uo is failing right now. Im sure the new VvV is going to be exploited for the buffs as well. There will be people who just fight themselves on dual clients and win all the shrines and get the buffs and then just stomp everyone and completely ruin that system as well. Devs please be more persistent when attempting to add to the game. And on a side note: I think the whole governer thing is completely ridiculous and has no purpose in uo. Brittiania is run by a king and if he wanted someone to run his cities he would just appoint, there would be no votes. Thats my four cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.