• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Vampiric Nerf

G

galefan2004

Especially when you consider the devs came out and said that they are going to make changes because VE isn't working as intended.
This never happened. Someone who wasn't even in actual control of the game ran his mouth off about his personal oppinion and a day later (probably after the actual lead programer was consulted) we got a statement saying that that was the personal oppinion of someone at a town hall and that the issue is being looked into (which is EA speach for we might do something about in 10-20 years).

VE is powerful even if it requires you to have 99 real necro while in the form. It was designed to serve as a necro/warrior (shadowknight) template.
No one every played such a template, so if that was the design then it was a very poor design. The only thing wrong with VE is that it shouldn't be at 99 skill. On a necro it is a pointless spell. No necro mage is EVER going to use it, and there are maybe 10-20 necro warriors out there because the template is simply lacking.

It didn't get broken until players could use it with chiv + bushido without having a reasonable amount of necro on their template. If players had to have necro/ss on their template, they couldn't get the huge dmg buffs that chiv/bushi give you and the 75% leeching that is possible would no longer be broken.
Its not broken now. In a game where you have to deal out max ammounts of damage before you die, or it is simply pointless to fight anything hardcore without a tamer, you have to have those skills that allow you to do extreme ammounts of damage.

Comparing a sampire's ability to tank to a tamer's is an apples to oranges comparison.
Cept you are making the arguement that the apples are just fine but the oarnges are so oped you want to torch Florida (where most of the orchards are).

Sampires do much more dmg, have higher survivability and tank better than pets.
Sampires have more survivablity than a greater dragon recieving heals from a tamer? You can't be that ignorant.

Why? because they bypass the key balancing aspect of VE (the 99 min skill to cast). You can take this discussion further and make a sampire/tamer like I did. LOL crazy char... a char that can tank AND control a powerful pet! Sampire/tamer can easily out-damage a discord tamer.
So you are whining about a class you yourself made. IMO, thats just wrong. Also, the problem isn't that the items are being used to bypass the skill to cast. Its that the skill to cast actually destroys the actual usefullness of the skill because very few warriors actually chose necromancy and VE is a pointless spell for a mage. I say they should just lower to 50% chance to cast 35 skill and be done with it. It seems to be the consensus of all of those that actually use the skill that it should be at 35 real skill and maybe the developers should just listen to that consensus.

G

galefan2004

In my experience, if one of the main arguments one side has for whatever the topic may be is "the majority agree," they're arguing from a very weak position.
In my experience it is very foolish development teams that don't listen to the majority of the community. Who is to say what is balanced and not? You. I disagree. The majority of those paying to play this game think that this is not overpowered. When you compare it to a tamer with a greater dragon it is not overpowered. When you compare it to a tamer with a greater dragon and 120 SW with a level 6 focus then it seems almost under powered. Balance has to be spread through out the entire game not just the necromancy spell. If they take VE away from dexxers then they need to rebalance dexxers to get them on the same level as tamers without needing VE.

All you guys can throw against a nerf is numbers. Unfortunately the devs do too often listen to the majority, but hopefully they don't do that in this case. If they listened to the "majority" in all cases, this game would be even worse than it is now.
Yeah because 10 million players are all wrong. You want to know who listens to the majority in all cases? That would be Blizzard and WoW is a 100x better game because of it. If Blizzard ignored their player base that game would still be incredibly overly complicated once you hit end game.

EA needs to start listening to the majority of the players 100% of the time because its that majority that pays their salaries.

G

galefan2004

Lets make this simple...

At the time Necromancy came out the MAXIMUM skill you could get from items was 50, and that was only if you were *leet enough* to have come acrossed two +15 *useful* jewels and the midnight bracers. The developers at that point had no idea another 25 points of stackable items were going to become available, and therefor had no reason to set limits on jewels..no jewels...skill..no skill.
The flaw in your arguement is that when necromancy came out you also had to have 110+ necromancy to even attempt to cast vampiric form without fizzling. It wasn't until all the items entered the game that allowed you to cast VE with 35 skill that they changed it to having a 50/50 shot at 99 skill (which is something that NO magery spell has a chance to do or most people wouldn't go over 80 magery).

A special note: STOP USING A STATEMENT THAT WAS DISPUTED A DAY LATER TO SAY WHAT THE DEVELOPERS ARE GOING TO DO. It was stated after the town hall that the comments about Sampires were based on one persons oppinion and that EA was going to look into VE. Normally when EA says they will look into something it means it will never get addressed. EA said it would look into champion spawns if they ever got to a point where one guild could control them all and they have been in that state for the last 7 years or so.

G

galefan2004

taming: should not be able to bond with jewels, guard me should have a timer as well
Haven't you figured out by now that messing with tamers is BAD for UO? I mean seriously, you are going to tell me that after the next patch my greater dragon is going to become unbonded just because I'd rather watch paint dry than work taming past 95 real skill and you think I'll be ok with that? You want to make this change then I will gladly tell you what I think of this change by switching from keeping my account open to paying for it every 90 days just to keep my house in check.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
this seems like a harmless game mechanic functioning in a way that only some people care about. If it's pvm it doesnt hurt your gameplay because you choose not to engage in multi player mode anyway.

Stigmatas

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There you go with the word easy again Sarphus. Shame on you. Not easy to play the template. Not easy to get the items to make the template. Get that through your head.

I just owned doom tonight and for the last few nights on my sampire. Little children are crying.

Get over this. It is not an exploit for christ sake. If it WERE an exploit. It would be bannable. Your being ridiculous. If it were an exploit, there would be notice of it somewhere in the TOS. It is not. Ridiculous.

Maybe they should nerf soulstones. I mean after all, they ruined UO. Oh yes. I could come up with a million reasons why soulstones suck and ruined UO and make post after post after post after post after post after post about it. I bet you would like that.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Seeing NO BUG is being used BECAUSE VE IS CURRENTLY FUNCTION AS ATTENDED it is NOT AN EXPLOIT. Is it really that hard to understand that?
Riiiiight....

I doubt having the effects of a 99 skill minimum spell without actually have the skill was intended.

A

Azaroth-

I wonder if this could also effectively be a minor catalyst to the future of the game?

Honestly I don't know the facts regarding "Sampire" usage by the asian playerbase but apparently the Sampires are quite a culture there.

Should be interesting :)

Beefybone

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah because 10 million players are all wrong. You want to know who listens to the majority in all cases? That would be Blizzard and WoW is a 100x better game because of it. If Blizzard ignored their player base that game would still be incredibly overly complicated once you hit end game.
Bahahahaha!

You need to spend more time on the WoW forums. Pages and pages of desperate angry ranting about how such-and-such a class is underpowered, or overpowered, or whatever. Blizzard is perfectly willing to ignore forum complaints and tell people to STFU. Hell, they're willing to MOCK the complainers with stuff like the 'vial of paladin tears' and 'tinfoil hat'.

R

Revenant2

I know what exploit means. So you're basically saying that the devs designed a high lvl necro buff to be used by non-necros? That same argument could be used for any exploit. I don't see VE as a serious exploit and I certainly don't call people cheaters for abusing one of the 2 VE exploits. It IS an exploit, though.

I mean I could use your same logic to explain away several exploits just like this...
The devs designed a certain item, so it could be used to summon 2 familiars.
The devs designed item duplication into the game, so we could get infinite runic kits.
The devs designed vendors so you could buy from one and sell to another at a million + profit.
The devs designed the dark wolf, so necros could control cu's (a fixed exploit)
The devs designed the serpent familiar so players could control the yamanadon champ...

Yes, I gave extreme examples, but I'm still making a valid point.
The exploits you listed don't even vaguely resemble the use of Vamp form by bushido dexers.

All it is is somebody equipping enough items to cast a spell that has an affect on them! Comparing it to actual exploits is like a joke.

If my mage casts ressurect on someone and causes him to change form (Dead -> Alive), and then later, that mage takes off his +magery gear, does the person drop dead wherever he may stand? That example is more comparable with taking Vamp form with items than the list of game exploits to which you're senselessly trying to compare it.

Who are you to say how the devs designed VE to work? Especially when you consider the devs came out and said that they are going to make changes because VE isn't working as intended.

First of all, if you're referring to the town hall comments, Jeremy came on the forums afterward and for all practical purposes took back what she said in terms of it being taken as a real intent to do something nasty to the current use of vamp form.

Secondly, it's really damn easy to see how they intended SKILL ITEMS to work. Attempting to call this an exploit is beyond looking at Vamp form exclusively, its about +skill items and all of the things that they allow.

"omg look that person cast a spell and its still working even though he took his +skill jewels off" is a ******** thing to pancake about in UO, its EVERYWHERE. It's extremely prominent in TAMING and in terms of 'balance' it's not hurting a damn thing, it's been worked into the existing balance.

VE is powerful even if it requires you to have 99 real necro while in the form. It was designed to serve as a necro/warrior (shadowknight) template. It didn't get broken until players could use it with chiv + bushido without having a reasonable amount of necro on their template. If players had to have necro/ss on their template, they couldn't get the huge dmg buffs that chiv/bushi give you and the 75% leeching that is possible would no longer be broken.
I'll remind you of something you just wrote to me:

Who are you to say how the devs designed VE to work?
Vamp form on a non-hybrid "real" necromancer is a PIECE OF **** and you're coming off like an armchair warrior when you say otherwise. Wraith form real necro dexers on the other hand can work but some of those even carry chiv (oh nooooes not chiv+necro again!!!!).

Comparing a sampire's ability to tank to a tamer's is an apples to oranges comparison. Sampires do much more dmg,
There are SOME cases where a HIGH-KARMA BLUE CHIV BUSHIDO DEXER can outdamage a spectacular specimin, fully trained superdragon. The Vamp form has nothing to do with the damage output! To "fix" that, you must nerf bush or chiv or both.

So after you had them take away Vamp form and noticed that the (few remaining who didn't just leave for WOW) chiv dexers are still doing well but require teams of healers, would you be wailing to nerf Bush and Chiv too?

This goes to show you how misunderstood/mistrusted/jealousy-inducing the template is relative to the people who don't really, seriously build one and use it.

have higher survivability and tank better than pets.
This is bull**** and everyone who seriously uses the template understands how and why.

The fully-developed vamp form dexer is great at absorbing medium amounts of damage, but, it's still working with a base HP of around 135 - 150. Big hits murder it. Like....

- - monsters that can hit for large enough amounts of damage in a very short time will kill it. That's a vamp dexer's nightmare.

Wild undiscorded superdragons are bad - if you take a fire breath from one that's at nearly full health (evade doesnt always cover your ass there) you're in trouble. You're so hurt that if it happens to get a hit in right after, when you didn't have time to hit your pots even, you go down. Rends are like that too. Just, bad. I dread the idea of trying Rikktor on my bush vamp dexer without a mage healer VERY closely watching my ass with greater heal pre-cast.....

Taking rends and superdragons out with a superdragon works fine, though. they have the HP base to take big, consecutive like that and not crash to the ground. Rikktor is hell for everyone and everything, I think (actually too hard IMO).

- - BLOOD OATH OMG. Dark Father. Bushido critical strike + slayer + perfection + a blood oath with the wrong timing. I believe the Harrower does this too, but I've not had the joy of killing myself against a harrower yet. In Fel, another player is at least able to do the dexer the mercy of blood-oathing him himself so that the Harrower cannot do it to him.

Pets with a bigger hit point base than the player all carry this ace up their sleeve that a human does not match. They can take fast, consecutive, huge hits of damage, and they can survive being blood oathed long enough for someone to remove curse on them (or even try to heal them through it, although this is the harder way). The superdragon is the best example but other tanktype pets work similarly.

- - Paralyze if you don't have a box, or even sometimes if you do. The vamp form dexer does not heal as intended if it cannot hit. It also is not released from paralyze by all the monsters standing around trying to hit it, it's got so much friggin' DCI and parry that the stuff can't actually smack him. You can be paralyzed, standing in a hoard of monsters, basically helpless because you don't get broken out of it except when spells hit. If it's a crowd of rat mages all casting explode flamestrike nasties you can die that way.

You can take this discussion further and make a sampire/tamer like I did. LOL crazy char... a char that can tank AND control a powerful pet! Sampire/tamer can easily out-damage a discord tamer.
That's like total fantasy. The vamp form tank is insanely tight on skill points as it is. Pretending that you can throw 300 skill points into taming and have it work even close to properly is ********. Even if you skipped vet (and you couldn't bandie heal your pet through anything high-level like that, it would simply die), it doesn't work well with 220 skill points ripped out of the template. I can think of ways to get about 90 additional points onto the base form of the temp (I run mine like that in fact, vet account + lots of skill on the regular jewels) but not 220.

V

Vyrquenox

I think the subject of whether it's legal or not has come up before and I *think* someone official said it was perfectly legal...though don't quote me on that, I'm not positive.

I don't think it's an exploit...but I do think it needs removed. And this is coming from someone who has the items to go into vamp form with 24 skill btw, so it's not about not being able to "afford it." Vamp form is balanced when checked against the negative effects ONLY when it costs the full skill points to use. If you need barely any skill points or even none, it becomes overpowered. The ability to remain in vamp form using soulstones or +skill items needs to be completely removed.

And it doesn't matter how many people agree or disagree. If the majority of people don't want balance (which we can never be sure of anyway simply by judging from the opinions of some of many stratics posters who make up a small part of the people playing the game), that doesn't mean the right move is for the devs to allow imbalance. In my experience, if one of the main arguments one side has for whatever the topic may be is "the majority agree," they're arguing from a very weak position. All you guys can throw against a nerf is numbers. Unfortunately the devs do too often listen to the majority, but hopefully they don't do that in this case. If they listened to the "majority" in all cases, this game would be even worse than it is now.

The big crowbar in that particular machine of thought is that you are going on the assumption that opinion equals fact, and that your opinion is that VE is overpowered/unbalanced. The only way to give that an anchor in reality is to have a reference point to what IS balanced and powered appropriately, which you don't have, and would be simply your opinion anyway, so you are calling for action against the general consensus based on your opinion. And acting for the majority is questionable when the action called for is negative in nature, but hardly questionable when it goes with the majority to not negatively affect something just because your opinion is that it would be for the greater good. Sounds like eminent domain theory. I remember where I finally failed as a dungeon master in AD&D--when I started getting the idea the players weren't doing what I intended them to do with things I gave them, and started taking them away, and forcing them to play the way I thought they should. After 5 years, when I started doing that crap, the game fell apart, because instead of adapting my game to them, I wanted them to adapt to mine.
Countermeasures are only necessary to protect people from the opinions of the majority. Since there is not an infringement on your rights, those countermeasures need not exist. This is a living game. How much of this game was not 'intended' to be the way it is? hmmm. Most of it.

V

Vyrquenox

I just think the exploit where people go into vamp form and then drop their skill below the minimum to cast vamp form and continue to be in vamp form should be fixed.
yeah i agree. that has been a bug in the game for over 5 YEARS.

i think it might be time to fix it. lol.

the spell itself is cast in a few moments. the skill is required for the casting. you aren't constantly casting it. It is cast, it goes into effect. You shouldn't have to still be able to cast it, the energy and knowledge was already granted though whatever means it took to cause the effect to take place. It doesn't require any maintenance on the characters part. that's how magic works the last time I checked. If the magical skill was required to maintain it, then wouldn't it be subject to interruption if you got hit? Its not, which implies you aren't thinking about it anymore. You are the guys looking at +15 necro jewels as mundane objects, when they are 'magical'. Supernatural. The opposite of breast implants. There's your logic. But I'll work with you. Give it a duration, like one hour + such and such or whatnot. Make people have to worry about recasting it. That would be reasonable.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Leave it as is.
There are so many REAL bugs and Exploits, that the Devs don't need to waste time on something that is based on opinion.

**Nerf this, nerf that. It's time to FIX this, FIX that!!**

L

Lady_Mina

if they wanted 'real skill' to count , then they should of never made 'magic' rings and bracelets...

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's identical to tamers who slide on that +15 taming ring to store extra pets in the stable. The minute they take the jewel off, do the extra pets don't pop out of the stable? When I put on a +15 ring to tame a high level pet for myself, does it instantly go wild when I unequip it (since I didn't have the real skill to tame it in the first place)?
Those are additional problems that arise from the same issue that should be fixed at the same time.

VE isn't the only problem that comes out of using +skill items and soulstones to raise a skill short-term to get a long-term benefit... it's just the most discussed one at the moment.

U

UOKaiser

Those are additional problems that arise from the same issue that should be fixed at the same time.

VE isn't the only problem that comes out of using +skill items and soulstones to raise a skill short-term to get a long-term benefit... it's just the most discussed one at the moment.
Thats how they are to be used. Dev makes the items, gives to players, and we find creative or better ways to use them to suit our needs. Thats how it is.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thats how they are to be used. Dev makes the items, gives to players, and we find creative or better ways to use them to suit our needs. Thats how it is.
And don't give the "devs also make bugs and give them to players to be exploited" argument, because its completely different, bugs are unintentional, skill items were 100% intended and made by the devs.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The flaw in your arguement is that when necromancy came out you also had to have 110+ necromancy to even attempt to cast vampiric form without fizzling. It wasn't until all the items entered the game that allowed you to cast VE with 35 skill that they changed it to having a 50/50 shot at 99 skill (which is something that NO magery spell has a chance to do or most people wouldn't go over 80 magery).

A special note: STOP USING A STATEMENT THAT WAS DISPUTED A DAY LATER TO SAY WHAT THE DEVELOPERS ARE GOING TO DO. It was stated after the town hall that the comments about Sampires were based on one persons oppinion and that EA was going to look into VE. Normally when EA says they will look into something it means it will never get addressed. EA said it would look into champion spawns if they ever got to a point where one guild could control them all and they have been in that state for the last 7 years or so.
How is there a flaw in my statement? The skill needed for vamp form hasnt changed since its inception...IE...those who originally used it on a character actually had to put the skill into it...without jewels...if anything this just helps to strengthen what I already said. BTW...in todays game people put enough jewels on their char to cast it at 100 skill...so wtf is this crap about 110 skill? Fizzle...lmao man...if you only have to cast it once till you die do you think anyone cares about casting it WITHOUT FAIL?

Stop using a statement EA made directly to its playerbase? Hell no...I want to cram that statement down thier throats till either they puke from it or else fix it. I will not kindly turn my back and ignore it...imbalance is imbalance no matter the guilse it is under. You of all people are not going to change my mind here either.

C

Connor_Graham

Hell no...I want to cram that statement down thier throats till either they puke from it or else fix it. I will not kindly turn my back and ignore it.
What was said was that it was one person's opinion, and that they had no intentions of looking into VE anytime soon, so I'd say at this point if you were to hold your breath until they did, you'd most likely end up turning blue and passing out before they decided it was that big of a deal to look into.

..imbalance is imbalance no matter the guilse it is under. You of all people are not going to change my mind here either.
There's no such thing as imbalance in PvM. For one, monsters don't complain, and two, monsters and players have completely different builds in the way their combat mechanics work, so can't be compared.

U

UOKaiser

How is there a flaw in my statement? The skill needed for vamp form hasnt changed since its inception...IE...those who originally used it on a character actually had to put the skill into it...without jewels...if anything this just helps to strengthen what I already said. BTW...in todays game people put enough jewels on their char to cast it at 100 skill...so wtf is this crap about 110 skill? Fizzle...lmao man...if you only have to cast it once till you die do you think anyone cares about casting it WITHOUT FAIL?

Stop using a statement EA made directly to its playerbase? Hell no...I want to cram that statement down thier throats till either they puke from it or else fix it. I will not kindly turn my back and ignore it...imbalance is imbalance no matter the guilse it is under. You of all people are not going to change my mind here either.
Imbalanced to who? Does the Dreadhorn hiiting for 100+ damage per sec plus using poison that a vampire cant even cure whith magic or pots think its balanced? Does the vampire getting murdered with a slayer wep with fire thinking he should be hit like that is that balanced? Or is it the Dark Father that believes his blood oath should do more damage to the vamp? Wait I got it!!! Its the robot with arm punch who believes that the vamp should be a robot whith arm punch as well to make it balanced. Yep thats it it must be no other explanation is logical ...cant compute...shutdown.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What was said was that it was one person's opinion, and that they had no intentions of looking into VE anytime soon, so I'd say at this point if you were to hold your breath until they did, you'd most likely end up turning blue and passing out before they decided it was that big of a deal to look into.

There's no such thing as imbalance in PvM. For one, monsters don't complain, and two, monsters and players have completely different builds in the way their combat mechanics work, so can't be compared.

If I turn blue I turn blue...I am of German origin therefor very stubborn.

No such thing as imbalance in PVM? LOL...you serious? Any template that can solo a peerless due to being *jacked up* on Vamp is indeed an imbalance. Peerless were not meant to be soloed, hence part of the reason they nerfed evasion the last time around. Anytime one single item or spell or ability becomes so powerful as to make soloing doom or peerless possible...an imbalance is currently in effect.

The idea of there being a solid line between PvM and PvP I agree with you on, this line however is not the problem. Both sides of the line suffer from this issue, since BOTH SIDES are using the same manner of exploit to attain vamp form to begin with. What they do after they get into this form is besides teh point.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Imbalanced to who? Does the Dreadhorn hiiting for 100+ damage per sec plus using poison that a vampire cant even cure whith magic or pots think its balanced? Does the vampire getting murdered with a slayer wep with fire thinking he should be hit like that is that balanced? Or is it the Dark Father that believes his blood oath should do more damage to the vamp? Wait I got it!!! Its the robot with arm punch who believes that the vamp should be a robot whith arm punch as well to make it balanced. Yep thats it it must be no other explanation is logical ...cant compute...shutdown.
First off, unless you are in a 30 resist suit dreadhorn doesnt do 100+ damage every second.

The poison? Ever heard of cure pots or arch cure?

The damage from a undead slayer? I suggest you test it before you bring it up as a point of discussion. The difference is minimal (non slayer) vs. even low resist. (double damage doesnt occur in PvP)

Again...peerless were not meant to be soled by anyone. Is that so difficult to understand?

C

Connor_Graham

Any template that can solo a peerless due to being *jacked up* on Vamp is indeed an imbalance..
Oh, so the 3 or 4 other templates that can do it without Vamp are ok, it's only wrong when it's a Sampire doing it.

Riiiiiight.

:coco:

T

Thrand Graywolf

I don't think vamp form should be nerfed.

I just think the exploit where people go into vamp form and then drop their skill below the minimum to cast vamp form and continue to be in vamp form should be fixed.
Yup. Simple fix. The second you lose enough necro to make the form impossible...you lose it. Problem solved.

Course...that's probably too simple for the dev guys. They are most likely working out a formula based on the integral of a logarithmic curve related to the day of the month and what color your tunic is.

U

UOKaiser

First off, unless you are in a 30 resist suit dreadhorn doesnt do 100+ damage every second.

The damage from a undead slayer? I suggest you test it before you bring it up as a point of discussion. The difference is minimal (non slayer) vs. even low resist. (double damage doesnt occur in PvP)

Again...peerless were not meant to be soled by anyone. Is that so difficult to understand?
Who said they can be soloed by everyone. Grab youreself a vamp and go try to get the keys and solo one by youreslf Gurantee you wont be able to do it. You will need lets say alot of practice skill and specially tuned suit to do so.

Minimum is still a little bit more than nothing. still theres no complaints cause they dont use them in pvp gores its not a god template not even a template that can be used in pvp.

Cure pots and arch cure as a vampire well lets see. I will get the garlic will kill you. And arch cure hmm ouch that hurt to use the spell. Vampires cant use garlic spells without damge penalty and definetly cant use cure pots. Wear a low ressit suit and It will do that damage and more but of course you wouldnt do that cause well you use you,re knowledge to know that you will need to get a very good suit so you wouldnt get hurt like that.

U

UOKaiser

Yup. Simple fix. The second you lose enough necro to make the form impossible...you lose it. Problem solved.

Course...that's probably too simple for the dev guys. They are most likely working out a formula based on the integral of a logarithmic curve related to the day of the month and what color your tunic is.
Then Protection,Mgic Reflect and Reflective armor would need the same nerf. And the vampire spell will no longer be used. But I guarantee you still be seeing people solo peerless

U

UOKaiser

One more thing peerless was never meant to be solo, gauntlet was never meant to be solo,bone deamon was never meant to be solo,balrons,high level paragons,champ spawns,hell we can go back to deamons,liches and cementaries not meant to be solo. Sorry as players get stronger more content needs to be added. I think Harrowers can't be solo still not sure about that but its always done in groups. Many templates can solo peerless sampire is just 1 of them.

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Soloing peerless vs using items to cast vampiric embrace are two separate issues. I can't solo a peerless on any template. I am not angry with anyone who can, nor do I see anything written in the TOS that says players are not allowed to solo boss monsters. I like having a powerful character, but tough monsters are more fun for me when I have help. Furthermore, we have an item based game. Players will use items, end of story. Necro/hybrid templates are nothing more than scapegoats, and are a small factor in a much larger issue.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you think people in vampire form can do either of these things, then you clearly don't know enough about the topic to have an opinion. You should go sit down and be quiet now.

sorry but a simple cure pot doesnt do THAT much dmg to you...neither does arch cure. (in the movies garlic will kill a vampire but not in UO silly...if you cant take some HP damage from a cure pot in vamp at a peerless you are soloing you have other issues to contend with)

Sit in the corner and be quiet? no ty.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Soloing peerless vs using items to cast vampiric embrace are two separate issues. I can't solo a peerless on any template. I am not angry with anyone who can, nor do I see anything written in the TOS that says players are not allowed to solo boss monsters. I like having a powerful character, but tough monsters are more fun for me when I have help. Furthermore, we have an item based game. Players will use items, end of story. Necro/hybrid templates are nothing more than scapegoats, and are a small factor in a much larger issue.

You are correct...I was replying to an issue another poster presented as a smokescreen to the real problem...thank you for getting things back on track. This is what happens when individuals nitpick posts rather than reply on the issue...my problem is I often respond to this garbage *sadface*.

Thanks again... :)

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If it is jewels making this happen its far from an expliot. Are you trying to tell me its an exploit i used to use when i wore vet jewels to get me enough skill to rez a pet? And i used to have to put on extra taming and lore jewles to get my pets to bond. Is that an exploit too?

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I wouldn't call it an exploit as in an exploit that can get you banned, but the issue is one that needs to be rebalanced.

See the thing is that comparing an act like wearing jewels to Ress vs wearing jewels to go into a form and then TAKING THEM OFF and STAYING IN THAT FORM is an inaccurate comparison.

It's two different sitautions. In ressing something, you have the jewels equipped during the entire process. Going into a form, you remove the jewels while still in the process (in Vamp Form). While the spells are "cast", the ress one is completed while the Form spell is considered "active" until it is made "inactive" by casting the spell again.

While I don't see anyone getting banned for this, I'm betting that they'll remove the ability to keep the form active if you drop UNDER the skill needed to enter the form. Want to stay in the form, keep on the +skill items.

Seems easy enough.

U

UOKaiser

sorry but a simple cure pot doesnt do THAT much dmg to you...neither does arch cure. (in the movies garlic will kill a vampire but not in UO silly...if you cant take some HP damage from a cure pot in vamp at a peerless you are soloing you have other issues to contend with)

Sit in the corner and be quiet? no ty.
You have never used vampiric form. When you try to use a cure pot you get this message "The garlic in the potion would surely kill you" So using a cure potion is completly impossible.And as a sampire you wont have magery so arch cure is mute anyway even if takes 30 or so damage per use which is unaffordable in the heat of the moment.

U

UOKaiser

I wouldn't call it an exploit as in an exploit that can get you banned, but the issue is one that needs to be rebalanced.

See the thing is that comparing an act like wearing jewels to Ress vs wearing jewels to go into a form and then TAKING THEM OFF and STAYING IN THAT FORM is an inaccurate comparison.

It's two different sitautions. In ressing something, you have the jewels equipped during the entire process. Going into a form, you remove the jewels while still in the process (in Vamp Form). While the spells are "cast", the ress one is completed while the Form spell is considered "active" until it is made "inactive" by casting the spell again.

While I don't see anyone getting banned for this, I'm betting that they'll remove the ability to keep the form active if you drop UNDER the skill needed to enter the form. Want to stay in the form, keep on the +skill items.

Seems easy enough.

But then we come to the basic thing that no one will use it if that went into effect. The template will be destroyed and It will become another useless spell. Then on to the next one untill they kill that one of then the next and the next they add new content on to that untill its nerfed and then at the end everyone is the same.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As a 110 Necro player, I have no problem with anyone using this fair and effective means in pvm. It in no way harms other players or unbalances anything other than making some folks whine.

Beefybone

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
sorry but a simple cure pot doesnt do THAT much dmg to you
As Kaiser has pointed out, cure potions are completely unusable in vampiric form. You have clearly never used the spell, and need to shut up about things you know nothing about.

K

Kith Kanan

how many of the crying whiners are tamers who cant stand the competition

95% ??????

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
No offense but the Devs have proven time and again that they quite often DO NOT understand the nature of 'items'
Do I need to give a long list of examples? because if so I will start with event items such as the lrc/mr sash or 10 hp clothing. I could then go on with non-event items such as the original Talon Bite which was able to do a billion damage with one hit on certain templates and continue on with the old armor ignore on almost every 2-handed weapon in the game on certain templates(ranged bows included lol)

Bottom line is that only a fool or biased player seriously believes that being able to use and then take off items for Vampiric Embrace is legit. It is ridiculous & should be addressed. Once the items come off the spell disappears. period...
Then on the same token if you craft runic armor with an ASH once you de-equip the hammer the effect on the armor should be "re-rolled" it's the same thing the effect is persistent once applied.

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Then on the same token if you craft runic armor with an ASH once you de-equip the hammer the effect on the armor should be "re-rolled" it's the same thing the effect is persistent once applied.
No...putting a +30 ASH Hammer in my hand, and equipping a Talisman of +25 Blacksmithy, with 25% Exceptional chance, with 45 Real Blacksmithy skill, then putting the ASH Hammer in a chest, and soul stoning my Blacksmith skill, and removing the talisman, and still being able to keep the effect of my skill and skill items...being able to craft items that require 100 Blacksmith Skill, with none of the items or skill on my character, WHEN I craft them...

That would be comparable.

OR...let Vamp form stay on a character without the skill or items UNTIL they try to leech life back, or resist poison, or any other benefit that having Vamp form affords, THEN have Vamp Form removed,when that check happens...the same way you would fail as a Smith, WHEN you try to craft without the actual skill, or items on.

That would be comparable.

With skill and or items ON, when the benefit of the skill or items is needed, then benefit should be afforded.

When the items and/or skill is removed, with the spell in effect, then the benefit afforded by the spell should also go away, until the skill and or items are present again, when the check is performed.

That is good logic, IMO.

Beefybone

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My vampire always had GM+ necromancy. I just think RC should know WTF he's talking about before he opens his mouth. Honestly, is it too much to ask that he know how the spell functions before crying for a nerf?

manufacturedsoul

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO is literally on it's deathbed these days. Why would the dev team do something so stupid as to nerf VE into obscurity. Dispite what alot of holyer than thou stratics posters say it's not an exploit. If it was it would have been dealt with long ago. There are PLENTY and I mean PLENTY of legit exploits that need fixed that would probably bring players back to UO. Instead you fools want them to Nerf yet another skill that will do nothing other than send people packing their bags for WOW or WARHAMMER. To all of you yelling nerf fools wake up this game is literally collapsing around us and can barely take anymore nerfs. Keep this stupidity up and you might just help kill this game all together.

The only way i see this "exploit" LOL really its that laughable fixed is if they just remove skill items all together or fix all "exploits" LOL that involve skill jewelry. The biggest exploiter of them all is the tamer with the free stable slots and the free bonding of animals that would otherwise never bond to the 90% of tamers that bought advance char tokens and slapped on +30 jewlery. If they nerf Vamp form there better be a nerf for tamers in that same patch. An "exploit" is an "exploit" after all LOL.

I especially got a laugh at sarp claiming he solos peerless HA ya right dude only thing you solo is stratics threads and you do that pretty darn poorly i might add. :next:

B

Bodhi

Theres just way to much whining going on here on stratics, so much im starting to wonder if these whiners even play the game instead of flaming about it 24/7. Its called stratics and not Carebear Central. And the ones whining about it, simply dont have the equipment or skill to do a peerless, or they wouldnt even be whining about it.

K

Kiminality

What about, as a lone example, being discorded by a satyr?
That would drop you beneath 99 necro, even with 120 necro.

BbqLou

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok dev team, let's get down to it. Are enough people complaining about Vamp form from items that it warrants a nerf? Any plans or talk about this on a REAL level instead of heresay and complaints?
Who cares about vamp form, lol.

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What about, as a lone example, being discorded by a satyr?
That would drop you beneath 99 necro, even with 120 necro.
Precisely true.

A Tamer, at 120 Taming, that gets discorded, would not want to be commanding a Greater Dragon at that point...until they get the skill points back, after they get undiscorded.

Same principle.

Another great solution would be to have the Major Bosses use Ward Removal every now and then.

Real Vamps wouldn't have much of a problem with that.

The Gimp ones would have to run away...take off their current suit...put on the Gimpifier Suit...then cast VF again...then take that all off...get dressed again...go back...and pray that they don't have it happen too often.

That would be awesome.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You have never used vampiric form. When you try to use a cure pot you get this message "The garlic in the potion would surely kill you" So using a cure potion is completly impossible.And as a sampire you wont have magery so arch cure is mute anyway even if takes 30 or so damage per use which is unaffordable in the heat of the moment.
Pardon me for not being leet enough to chug whilst in vamp form, I came from the era of bowyers whom got thier bows from loot...not from crafting. I was wrong...feel better?

I did play vamp form though, but if you dont chug and havent played one for two years...well...you fill in the rest. However try not to fill in the blanks with *nuh-uh*...or *never*...or *not possible*, thanks.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fixed it for you.
Hey...at least I can admit being wrong...on the other hand what can you say about yourself. Regardless of my faux pas the issue is still the same. Now please sit still so I can imprint you with this neat mushroom stamp...thanks.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
even if a player had to wear the jewels to keep the form up, everytime he crossed server lines he'd lose form.

even better yet everytime 90% of the tamers in uo crossed a server line or logged in or resynced with the server they'd lose what they had in the stables taking up spots that were only due to their items.

Answer, leave this harmless pvm feature alone. it changes nothing except bother some few angry folks.