• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Valentine's Gifts

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Luck to you my friend. Hope everything ends up alright.
Your very kind, as always! Everything is mostly cool now, just taking up a lot of my time. Not trying to be mysterious. A close family member needed emergency surgery and it's family time right now :)

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I'm sorry, do you think you're somehow important enough for me to keep track of when and how often I correct you? Making reference to "caretaker mode" a few months after the release of an expansion, a FREE expansion no less, was completely boneheaded. Deal with it.
Your such a grumpy little fella aren't ya, heaven forbid someone should have a opinion that differs from yours.
I voiced my thoughts on the subject, you don't like it then it sucks to be you. The only person making premenstral rage rants is you. And the expansion wasn't free, I paid for it by paying for multiple accounts for 18 1/2 years. Don't mistake people doing their job and adding content to us receiving something for free, cause that's just...... How did you put it? Oh ya, boneheaded.

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can personally debunk this. At the start of the new system, I had formed an hypothesis that new players could get looting rights.

In the year of 2015, I received around 12 event items from freshly made characters.

Half would come from a new player fighting skill just doing damage and half would come from taking direct damage from the boss.

I'm just going to plainly state it and if anyone gets offended, then so be it. I am tired of repeating it over and over. Whilst I repeat it, these same people are purposefully ignorant to the cause and effect that is at play.
Actually I would think that you obtaining drops with freshly made characters proves very little with regard to your Person B.

How did using a freshly made char make you less skillful? Did it cause you to suddenly lose all your knowledge of equipment , experience, templates and tactics?. I doubt it, what you are really saying is you were less well equipped which is NOT the same thing. Your Player B has NONE of these things which is the real difference. So for me you have failed to debunk my belief that Player A and Player B do not have an equal chance of a drop

I am not saying that a new player cannot get a drop, but that,in comparison their chance is very small.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is an interesting concept. First you are implying that players shouldn't complain about EM event items and want a drop for everyone at an event and then that the purpose of the item is to remember the event by. Which is primarily the reason many people want a drop for everyone. The way it works now only some players (and quite often the same ones) get a drop. What then, do the rest of the attendees get to remember it by?. Also I am not aware of any statement, ever, that EM event drops were intended to be 'rare', why should they be 'rare' if they were intended to be mementoes.? They are only significant to those who were at the event.They have certainly ended up that way, which is why I have ceased going to events. When we used to get the occasional clicky as a memento I enjoyed them immensely but those days are long gone. Once we had great storylines to follow, now they have denigrated to perma killfests to obtain a 'drop', not for me thank you. I have my items from years past, which I treasure and the fact that many of them are now very 'rare' indeed means nothing to me. Their value means nothing, the memories they evoke everything.

So as i no longer obtain, or bother to try to obtain, items from EM events I look forward with interest to the gifts given at various anniversaries. I for one am disappointed, not least by the total lack of communication.
you dont have to remember an event by owning the item. with 10 to 25 items per event, its not hard to find one displayed, look at it, and remember the event. theres plenty of events i enjoy remembering by seeing the item, i dont actually have to own it to remember the fun time i had with friends. theres also almost always one locked down at the reward hall where any player can go to see all the items and remember the events they came from if they were there, but didnt get (or sold) the reward.

ever since trammel, UO has become more item based. pvm isnt exactly the games forte (theres plenty of games with a better pve experience) but it does excel at housing / deco. thats why we have EM items. thats the direction the devs have taken the game, and what fun is having the same thing as everyone else? if everyone had the same piece of art in his or her house, that piece of art just wouldnt be special anymore. thats why EM items are relatively low numbers. because people want something that not everyone has. just a fact of life and a fact of modern UO.

Alexander of ATL.

Rares Fest Host | Atl June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Actually I would think that you obtaining drops with freshly made characters proves very little with regard to your Person B.

How did using a freshly made char make you less skillful? Did it cause you to suddenly lose all your knowledge of equipment , experience, templates and tactics?. I doubt it, what you are really saying is you were less well equipped which is NOT the same thing. Your Player B has NONE of these things which is the real difference. So for me you have failed to debunk my belief that Player A and Player B do not have an equal chance of a drop

I am not saying that a new player cannot get a drop, but that,in comparison their chance is very small.
Okay. Same scenario.

Why would an actual new player care to participate in an EM Event? Even if they did care, it's not like it's an elitist cult that hides secrets. There are ways to learn how to play a different aspect of the game.

If you request another example that could debunk your claim that low skill players that are there to participate with but little knowledge has very low chance at an item. Right when the system was introduced, I remember a player on Atlantic that only cast blade spirits and he too participated in the event. Wasn't a very skilled player and had only been playing for about six months. He too got an item.

Of course, I don't have direct proof of the conversation, but nonetheless, weather you believe me or not, it did in fact happen.

My example I gave a few posts above was directed toward your question before based on skill magnitude. All you have to do is obtain looting rights and you're as good as gold. Simple as that.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
ever since trammel, UO has become more item based. pvm isnt exactly the games forte (theres plenty of games with a better pve experience) but it does excel at housing / deco. thats why we have EM items. thats the direction the devs have taken the game, and what fun is having the same thing as everyone else? if everyone had the same piece of art in his or her house, that piece of art just wouldnt be special anymore. thats why EM items are relatively low numbers. because people want something that not everyone has. just a fact of life and a fact of modern UO.
I'd say ever since AOS, not Trammel. In any case, EM events seeminly killed scenarios. Scenarios were accessible to all, and generally added things that many use daily... Yew > Solen > bags of sending, Magincia > rubble, player housing, vendor stalls (hey, at least for pets they're ok :p).

As for "the same piece of art"... considering that most items are rehues, I don't exactly buy the argument. :p

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you dont have to remember an event by owning the item. with 10 to 25 items per event, its not hard to find one displayed, look at it, and remember the event. theres plenty of events i enjoy remembering by seeing the item, i dont actually have to own it to remember the fun time i had with friends. theres also almost always one locked down at the reward hall where any player can go to see all the items and remember the events they came from if they were there, but didnt get (or sold) the reward.

I do not dispute what you are saying and I have already stated I have plenty of items from past events, I even have a couple of unique pieces. I also have 3 books from back in 2005 which hold as many if not more memories than any event item. If you look at the following you may see why -

Bloodguard.jpg Bloodguard 1.jpg

There are still many on Europa who will remember the Bloodguard. and I participated as Pan, all of us dressed in red uniforms.

Flame.jpg Flame 1.jpg

And many will also remember the Ophidian invasion. This book fills the whole 40 pages with names of participants. my character here was Eol Sinderanie back when ELV was the largest guild with over 500 members.

Mord.jpg Mord 1.jpg

There was also the Despise War in which I played my main.

So you are correct here too, you do not need an item to remember an event by and I do not argue that every event should have a drop for everyone. What I do argue is that I much prefer the old system where sometimes there was a small drop and occasionally a clicky, so both schools of thought were catered for.

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you request another example that could debunk your claim that low skill players that are there to participate with but little knowledge has very low chance at an item. Right when the system was introduced, I remember a player on Atlantic that only cast blade spirits and he too participated in the event. Wasn't a very skilled player and had only been playing for about six months. He too got an item.
OK here we go again. What does your example (example singular) prove? That a player of 6 months can get a drop, I don't find that too surprising. I have already conceded that even a very inexperienced player might get a drop. In a world of chance there are infinite possibilities. However I retain my belief that the difference between your Person A and Person B are too great to obtain parity of chance.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This thread has taken a few turns to a few different arguments, but in the spirit of keeping things on track I will add my own opinion.

Everyone who pays for any account is paying for content, period. Even those who only play 1 account, and use 5 others for houses every 90 days *ducks*. We ALL pay for the future of our game in one way or another.
Now the argument to this would be that we do receive content. We have received expansions, we have the ongoing EM program, and we are now getting this publish that fixes a lot of things that needed to be fixed. Cool. Awesome. But how does that effect ME? Well honestly it doesn't, and here is why.

I pay for eight accounts monthly. I own four, and my husband owns four. I do not do the 90 day cycle (And no, I am not trying to bring that argument here, just using this as an example to present my situation.), not because I feel its mooching, but because I am not smart enough, or organized enough, to keep track of 8 accounts and when I need to refresh them. So long story short, BS makes a good deal of money monthly from my household. Wanna know whats funny about that? My husband hasn't played in over 6 months, and I manage to play maybe four hours a week, because I go to work and school full time.

In four hours, I am unable to do any of the new content, I am unable to time and attend EM events, I am really unable to do anything other than run a quick spawn or hop in to a pvp battle. So what do I get for the holidays? Nada... zip... ziltch. I do not feel that is fair. And no its not because I feel I am entitled more than anyone else. Its because I feel that any game that provides ongoing content should make that content also available to the people like me who can't really play. I am also not trying to say that everything added in the game should be available to those who can hardly play, some things should be hard to attend and participate in. Holiday gifts shouldn't be. They should be available to everyone. They should change yearly. And that way, those of us who have a similar situation as me, can still feel like we get something out of our ongoing payments towards content.

Anyways, thats just my two cents.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Great post Giggles. Same problem here with a lot of the new content. Have to spend 3 days collecting keys or getting thru rooms, to get a chance at killing a champ that more than likely isn't gonna drop me anything anyway. Nothing lately in UO has excited me too much, still don't really understand why we got another landmass, on several of the shards I have visited lately listening to them ask in chat for someone to come to spawn and help, is almost as sad as listening to them holler for 45 mins of their playtime for enough people to get a focus...altho they did semi-fix that with a mastery. I'm not pleading for instant gratification, but we need more content added that people can just log into the game, play a short while, and enjoy. Not everyone can sit for hours grinding like we did back in the day, time just won't allow it.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
That's an argument I can at least agree with, though I don't think it's right to extend it quite as far as you did Giggles.

"So what do I get for the holidays? Nada... zip... ziltch. I do not feel that is fair. And no its not because I feel I am entitled more than anyone else. Its because I feel that any game that provides ongoing content should make that content also available to the people like me who can't really play."

Yes, now I would argue and agree that gifts are "ongoing content". There was a time when gifts were a fun quickie by the devs, and I wouldn't have said so, but these days, apparently gifts take serious dev time to implement, somehow, and so they're getting skipped.

But I think it stretches the argument a bit too far to say that then it's somehow not fair if people can't then log in to collect gifts.

Is it a little annoying that SW crystals, keys, and similar things time out, or that you have to have multiple pre-reqs to do Shadowguard, Exodus, Medusa, etc - and thus, it's hard for smaller shards to do "pickup" events? Yes.

But those are things that can take 1+ hours to do. Logging in to collect a character's gift takes what, 30 seconds? Even clickies, those can be done in under a minute per character. Is it annoying and time consuming? Sure - but you get out what you put in.

Christmas 2013 and 2014, I handled 22 or so accounts, with 7 chars on every shard. It took significant amounts of time to simply log in and transfer around all the boxes. But I really liked the boxes, so it was worth it to me. This last year, the chances for rare boxes were significantly lower, money's tighter, and I had less time - so I only did 6 or so accounts.

Making content relatively available is important, I agree. The Slim's mempo that's essentially unobtainably rare, or keys with timers, these make it harder, not easier, for people to play together. But taking it to the extreme of arguing against the giving of gifts, because even expecting you to log in at all is somehow unfair "to the people like me who can't really play"... that's kind of like asking for UO to simply give you the "You Win. Game Over" screen immediately after installation. ...or should it just give you that screen right when you start the install? Literally, actually asking you just to log in to get an item is asking too much? :p

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This thread has taken a few turns to a few different arguments, but in the spirit of keeping things on track I will add my own opinion.

Everyone who pays for any account is paying for content, period. Even those who only play 1 account, and use 5 others for houses every 90 days *ducks*. We ALL pay for the future of our game in one way or another.
Now the argument to this would be that we do receive content. We have received expansions, we have the ongoing EM program, and we are now getting this publish that fixes a lot of things that needed to be fixed. Cool. Awesome. But how does that effect ME? Well honestly it doesn't, and here is why.

I pay for eight accounts monthly. I own four, and my husband owns four. I do not do the 90 day cycle (And no, I am not trying to bring that argument here, just using this as an example to present my situation.), not because I feel its mooching, but because I am not smart enough, or organized enough, to keep track of 8 accounts and when I need to refresh them. So long story short, BS makes a good deal of money monthly from my household. Wanna know whats funny about that? My husband hasn't played in over 6 months, and I manage to play maybe four hours a week, because I go to work and school full time.

In four hours, I am unable to do any of the new content, I am unable to time and attend EM events, I am really unable to do anything other than run a quick spawn or hop in to a pvp battle. So what do I get for the holidays? Nada... zip... ziltch. I do not feel that is fair. And no its not because I feel I am entitled more than anyone else. Its because I feel that any game that provides ongoing content should make that content also available to the people like me who can't really play. I am also not trying to say that everything added in the game should be available to those who can hardly play, some things should be hard to attend and participate in. Holiday gifts shouldn't be. They should be available to everyone. They should change yearly. And that way, those of us who have a similar situation as me, can still feel like we get something out of our ongoing payments towards content.

Anyways, thats just my two cents.
I can understand that argument and I would support it - even though I think we should not complain about things we expected and did not come. The style of your writing is convincing to me!

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I agree, its not fair to say that I should be able to get something without logging in. That's just silly, and I hope I didn't give that impression in my argument. That is why I also said that I don't feel everything should cater to people who can't play much. Any MMO is a balance. You have your hard core 40+ hour a week players, and then you have your very casual a few times a month players. Real game play content should be a balance to where it can't be farmed to worthlessness, but still not so hard where a casual player can never do it.

Its the same for gifts. A hardcore player can gather 200+ gifts from however many accounts, but someone casual should also have the option to gather however many they can in the time allowed to them. That's whats missing in this scenario. We don't even have the option to get 7 gifts on one account..... There's just no gifts at all. =(

Alexander of ATL.

Rares Fest Host | Atl June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
OK here we go again. However I retain my belief that the difference between your Person A and Person B are too great to obtain parity of chance.
If you're comparing the two to chance.... then I am unsure of how to explain it any better.
All you need to do is get looting rights. The chance to get looting rights is equal to everyone. It's a damage ratio done to the boss. Yes, well experienced players get looting rights easier. If that is what you're getting at, then I do admit it. At the same time, casting blade spirits can achieve the same thing.

If we have a game that gave free stuff, then what is the point to playing the game? It's achievement based, I think. While a player casting blade spirits can achieve the same thing as a well experienced player, yes, maybe it's more difficult. Thus, will motivate the player to become better by honing their skills.

Nonetheless, once looting rights is achieved, then it's fair game for all, because everyone has the same chance at a reward.

Does this answer your question?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes, well experienced players get looting rights easier. If that is what you're getting at, then I do admit it. At the same time, casting blade spirits can achieve the same thing.
Exactly!! Because we all know casting blade spirits will outdamage the dozen GDs attacking it, therefore getting you looting rights. but I'm being a smartass, I know. My question concerns the ones (names not mentioned) who you see at events just standing in the background doing nothing, but yet they often come away with a drop?

This is one of those things that will never be balanced to everyone's satisfaction, so we should all just accept it, and either not go to the events, or just do what I'm gonna do from here on, heal drags and rez dead players. Done beating my head against the wall :p

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Great post Giggles. Same problem here with a lot of the new content. Have to spend 3 days collecting keys or getting thru rooms, to get a chance at killing a champ that more than likely isn't gonna drop me anything anyway. Nothing lately in UO has excited me too much, still don't really understand why we got another landmass, on several of the shards I have visited lately listening to them ask in chat for someone to come to spawn and help, is almost as sad as listening to them holler for 45 mins of their playtime for enough people to get a focus...altho they did semi-fix that with a mastery. I'm not pleading for instant gratification, but we need more content added that people can just log into the game, play a short while, and enjoy. Not everyone can sit for hours grinding like we did back in the day, time just won't allow it.
+1

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First let me say I agree with you and secondly in the same vein as your opening sentence - As Valentines Day has now been and long gone perhaps this thread should be re-named - NO Valentines gift?

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I was sad not to see anything myself as I seen some of the stuff they got over the past years, being gone for so long I missed a lot. Still I am glad to be playing once more and I hope to see something in Easter? Maybe? Who knows.

Sinder Shayde

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
There has been many opinions shared in this forum regarding No valentine gifts this year.

If I am disappointed in anything, I would have to say it is with the Dev's, for not at least commenting as to why !
Do they "owe" us something, No. but an explanation would be nice, In my opinion.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
as with any long term relationship (and lets not kid ourselves, this is a long term relationship we are having) if you forget someones birthday or in this case Valentines Day they get upset. while me personally im not a big fan of V-day i have a wife of 23 years and she is. so i do my part to keep my relationship trouble free and i pick her up some flowers and a card and something naughty. if i stopped doing this all of a sudden she would be disappointing and probably upset. so its not hard to see why most people are a little disappointing by not receiving anything this year. or even just a "hey, we got busy killing bug and didn't have time".
same thing would happen if we didn't get a Easter treat or a Christmas treat or a anniversary treat.
deny is all we want we have invested in this long term relationship.
and what is the key to a long term relationship???
communication and presents!

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And from Valentine's Day, 2016, 3 things became apparent:

1) IF the devs give us nothing, we piss and moan but still keep paying anyway

2) If the devs can't be troubled to communicate with people such as us, we piss and moan but still keep paying anyway.

3) A certain percentage of us will take up for the devs no matter what :cheerleader:

From the devs point of view, as with any store or business, if you can get the same pay for not talking to their customers and showing appreciation, then why would they feel the need to?

Some folks may not realize, but in the grand scheme, these devs who cant talk to us, actually work for us...we pay their salaries, when they talk and communicate and give gifts, etc etc, it's them doing their job! NOT doing us a favor, just doing what we pay them to do.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can anyone who goes to EM events on multiple shards clarify if the EMs who did events last week and this week that might have had a Valentine's Day theme said anything about those events replacing what was done in previous years for Valentine's Day?

The only EM events I see on the event calendar on UO.com that seemed like they might have had a Valentine's Day theme were/will be the following:

- Thursday, February 11 on Pacific at 7:00 pm PST.
- Friday, February 12 on Great Lakes at 8:00 pm CST and on Wakoku at 10:00 pm JST.
- Saturday, February 13 on Yamato at 10:00 pm JST.
- Sunday, February 14 on Hokuto at 10:00 pm JST.
- Tuesday, February 16 on Origin at 7:00 pm PST.
- Wednesday, February 17 on Pacific at 7:00 pm PST.

None of the other EM events during these two weeks looked like they had much, if anything, to do with Valentine's Day. And the February calendar only shows one Dev or Worldwide event, i.e., the Meet and Greet on Pacific that happened on February 8th.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Its the same for gifts. A hardcore player can gather 200+ gifts from however many accounts, but someone casual should also have the option to gather however many they can in the time allowed to them. That's whats missing in this scenario. We don't even have the option to get 7 gifts on one account..... There's just no gifts at all. =(
Ah, ok, I thought you were arguing the opposite. As long as the blue section holds true, then we're on the same page. :)

And @Poo and @Uriah Heep , we keep assuming "long term business relationship" is apt. Some days, I think "drug dealer" might be more accurate, esp the way and transparency communication has been declining over the past several years.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Can anyone who goes to EM events on multiple shards clarify if the EMs who did events last week and this week that might have had a Valentine's Day theme said anything about those events replacing what was done in previous years for Valentine's Day?

The only EM events I see on the event calendar on UO.com that seemed like they might have had a Valentine's Day theme were/will be the following:

- Friday, February 12 on Great Lakes at 8:00 pm CST and on Wakoku at 10:00 pm JST.

None of the other EM events during these two weeks looked like they had much, if anything, to do with Valentine's Day. And the February calendar only shows one Dev or Worldwide event, i.e., the Meet and Greet on Pacific that happened on February 8th.
EM event on GLs this last Tuesday had a Valentines themed drop... Not sure that it had anything to do with the story... but it was a Valentine themed drop. And IMO very not cool since it was a 1:20... so 20 people got something for Valentines the other 30 to 50 people there got to sit and spin.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

its pretty apparent that this is how their handling it this year, similar to how the global events brought in the lore for time of legends. agree with it or not, this does appear to be the method the devs have decided to use for alot of new content. its cost effective, already utilizing a system and employees that are in place with no additional workload (albeit how small) on the dev team.

the EMs didnt say anything specifically, but every single drop event has been valentines themed so far.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Broadsword needs to tread carefully.
Many new MMo's released this year and if any of you try Black Desert then I don't think you'll be coming back to UO. The game is immense unlimited housing ANYWHERE in the world, yup even in cities.
UO is in caretaker mode, they just don't have the balls to say it as they still want your monthly subs.
Once a game goes into caretaker mode.......it does NOT come back out, just dies a slow painful death on life support by people with far too much time invested to do the decent thing.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
its pretty apparent that this is how their handling it this year, similar to how the global events brought in the lore for time of legends. agree with it or not, this does appear to be the method the devs have decided to use for alot of new content. its cost effective, already utilizing a system and employees that are in place with no additional workload (albeit how small) on the dev team.

the EMs didnt say anything specifically, but every single drop event has been valentines themed so far.
Thank you for the information, MalagAste and Smoot. After seeing Lady Storm say something to that effect a few days ago (Happy Valentine's Day!), I had a feeling this is what was going on. My poor opinion of the EM program is already well-known by many, so I won't say anything else.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Ah, ok, I thought you were arguing the opposite. As long as the blue section holds true, then we're on the same page. :)

And @Poo and @Uriah Heep , we keep assuming "long term business relationship" is apt. Some days, I think "drug dealer" might be more accurate, esp the way and transparency communication has been declining over the past several years.
its not an addiction...... i prefer to think of it as a hobby that has me by the balls!

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Your such a grumpy little fella aren't ya, heaven forbid someone should have a opinion that differs from yours.
Your opinion is wrong. Words have meanings. Recent release of substantial content is the opposite of caretaker mode. I don't know why you take it so personally when you're wrong, but if so then you should try to say fewer wrong things.

I voiced my thoughts on the subject, you don't like it then it sucks to be you. The only person making premenstral rage rants is you. And the expansion wasn't free, I paid for it by paying for multiple accounts for 18 1/2 years. Don't mistake people doing their job and adding content to us receiving something for free, cause that's just...... How did you put it? Oh ya, boneheaded.
Really? Because mine was free. I was already subscribed and then one day ToL was just there without me having to do anything. Did they charge you?

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd say ever since AOS, not Trammel. In any case, EM events seeminly killed scenarios. Scenarios were accessible to all, and generally added things that many use daily... Yew > Solen > bags of sending, Magincia > rubble, player housing, vendor stalls (hey, at least for pets they're ok :p).
The developers explained at the time that Scenarios simply took up too much developer resources. If you look at it, they were creating entire dungeons, new monsters, items, etc every month. Now that you mention it, Magincia could be viewed as a scenario-type event. Even that suffered from long delays and took a couple years to finish.

As with all things, there needs to be a balance maintained. It would certainly be nice if there were more large scale world events. This could even be stuff that Event Moderators could setup. There are so many tools that could have been made for event moderators over the years but it seems they haven't advanced much since they started.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO is in caretaker mode, they just don't have the balls to say it as they still want your monthly subs.
Because there weren't valentines day gifts? I mean... we just got the first new expansion in years 3 months ago.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The developers explained at the time that Scenarios simply took up too much developer resources. If you look at it, they were creating entire dungeons, new monsters, items, etc every month. Now that you mention it, Magincia could be viewed as a scenario-type event. Even that suffered from long delays and took a couple years to finish.

As with all things, there needs to be a balance maintained. It would certainly be nice if there were more large scale world events. This could even be stuff that Event Moderators could setup. There are so many tools that could have been made for event moderators over the years but it seems they haven't advanced much since they started.
I bet you could come up with a scenario type content addition a couple times a year if you kept them fairly simple, without having to add in any new mini systems or anything. Just fire all the EM's and hire a handful of devs to just work that kind of stuff. :p

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because there weren't valentines day gifts? I mean... we just got the first new expansion in years 3 months ago.
You can't really call that an expansion. It's more of an add-on.
Anyone that's messed around making a private server will tell you that ToL has very little "new" stuff and the rest you could whip up in a couple of days.

Don't get me wrong, I know we only have 1 active dev now but in the same respect, that is my point.
You cannot run an MMO and expect high cost subs if you aren't providing the same level of commitment.

Over the years the Dev staff have gone down but the sub price never did.
At this level we have now it should be F2P.......you couldn't even go B2P with what the "expansion" actually gave us.
No, this game is on life support and you all need to look at it subjectively, you wouldn't treat a sick animal like this would you??

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe it is just another way to change what other producers did. Maybe it was because she can. Maybe petty, maybe mean, maybe no time, maybe busted code,maybe evil wizards, maybe who knows what. She does what she has to do and so do I.

On a good note the money system now is awesome! So thank you for that! It truly is great!

Maybe time to let this go so I can be all ready for Easter! Woo! :)

Oh how do the characters move in Black Desert? Anyone know for sure?

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can't really call that an expansion. It's more of an add-on.
Anyone that's messed around making a private server will tell you that ToL has very little "new" stuff and the rest you could whip up in a couple of days.

Don't get me wrong, I know we only have 1 active dev now but in the same respect, that is my point.
You cannot run an MMO and expect high cost subs if you aren't providing the same level of commitment.

Over the years the Dev staff have gone down but the sub price never did.
At this level we have now it should be F2P.......you couldn't even go B2P with what the "expansion" actually gave us.
No, this game is on life support and you all need to look at it subjectively, you wouldn't treat a sick animal like this would you??
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a much of a fan of ToL myself, but it was a decent chunk of content. A game on maintenance mode/zombie mode doesn't get new content of any kind. They just pay to keep the servers running,

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe it is just another way to change what other producers did. Maybe it was because she can. Maybe petty, maybe mean, maybe no time, maybe busted code,maybe evil wizards, maybe who knows what. She does what she has to do and so do I.

On a good note the money system now is awesome! So thank you for that! It truly is great!

Maybe time to let this go so I can be all ready for Easter! Woo! :)

Oh how do the characters move in Black Desert? Anyone know for sure?
What do you mean, "How do they move"?
controls, looks, key maps? not quite sure what your asking there but the controller support is in and getting better. most use keyboard though due to hotkeys and menus

(also Gamespot also has some closed beta codes left for grabs on their website ;) )

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What do you mean, "How do they move"?
controls, looks, key maps? not quite sure what your asking there but the controller support is in and getting better. most use keyboard though due to hotkeys and menus

Mouse like UO? :)
(also Gamespot also has some closed beta codes left for grabs on their website ;) )

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can't just re quote my post without adding any info.......still none the wiser o_O

Ahh I see....you edited my post :rolleyes:

like most MMO's these days, keys to move (AWSD), mouse to look around(and direct) or just use an xbox controller.
A lot of windows due to the sheer amount of stuff you can do (crafting is big) so keyboard is best id say. ;)

Oh I should add you can use a point and click mode for movement if you wish but it wont work very well when your in PvP with 400 others ;)

Last edited:

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Slayvite, look in quote box. It says Mouse like UO? Ia m not good at posting so messed up. :(

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
meees no likes keys to mobe

meees finners gets confused and ifin I looks at keys, meees dies
mees no ambidexotious , key left hand , mouse right han d.....no no no

smip

Slightly Crazed
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, seems they forgot this year. ;-( Instead of something thrown together at the last second, i.e. a piece of bacon...haha...I would rather not get anything. Thoughts?
First time in a long time no Valentine Gifts. I keep thinking it was a mistake and keep logging in to find the surprise in my bag. :(

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
First time in a long time no Valentine Gifts. I keep thinking it was a mistake and keep logging in to find the surprise in my bag. :(
It was a clicky you had to actually go get it at the Britain Commons... it's gone now.

Konacoffee

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hey Smip,
I have an extra on most Shards and can give you one if you want. Just lmk which shard and I’ll pm you to arrange a drop off.