• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] Ultima Online Birthday Celebration!

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My advice to them, a good psychiatrist. :)
All I can think of is the guy from the West Wing, when he's talking to President Bartlet. "Keep screwing around if you want, it's your money, it's about to be MY money, and I sleep fine at night."

Awesome..

Incidentally, I may be coming to this event after all. Hope it's worth the trip! Wink, wink. :)

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It amazes me how bitter people can get. What are you trying to accomplish here? Your posts and a couple of others have been nothing but doom and gloom. (..) This game may be awful to you but to some of us still enjoy it
Pinco is pretty much the reason some of us still play the game. He improved the enhanced client more than any developer ever did and spent a good deal of time working on it. So saying "this game may be awful to you" is just not fair.

I don't think he is trying to accomplish anything, he was some time ago though, trying to tell that the developers should invest in attracting new players by moving the game from 20th to 21st century, but he probably gave up like many others before him. His 5k guess might actually be close for the number of active players and not the number of accounts (it means about 200 active players per shard); too often we see users complain here for their falling houses as a result of some billing issues, it shows that while they have multiple accounts, they haven't even checked one in 3 months. My initial guess was 75k but this was before I learned about Draconi's 50k statement in 2009.

Just ignore them, its just the same few that are ruining every thread. They have bigger problems then UO. My advice to them, a good psychiatrist. :)
This is offensive since it says that the players who are realistic about the current state of the game have mental illnesses. It seems they are ruining the threads since they are not clapping hard enough. If they visit a psychiatrist, they will learn that they are not actually bitter or angry, they are just sad to see their precious game being neglected to the fullest extent by its publisher company. They are not trying to lower the morale, they are urging the developers to take action. Most of them are working for the fan sites and they do care for this game deeply. They haven't seen much effort to celebrate the 15th anniversary (now 13th anniversary was an exciting time for UO: from June 22 to October 28, 2010, just a four month period, they hosted a town hall meeting, started In the Shadow of Virtue event cycle, updated the Treasure Map system and MiB loot, introduced the Bard Masteries and released the High Seas booster pack and also celebrated the 13th anniversary), they haven't read anything inspiring for a very long time and these little facts make them even more sad: "Richard Garriott has said more in his 2-hour livestream yesterday about a game that won't be out until late 2013 than our developers have said about UO in the past 6 months."

Nevertheless, I'm quite excited for the 15th anniversary: I'm hoping for a UO.com (and maybe even MyUO) relaunch on September 24th, so that we can visit the site at 25th. I will also be glad to see Lord Blackthorn, no offense to the previous rulers but he is more unpredictable and thus more fun. Mesanna wore a GM robe at the 13th anniversary town hall, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Phoenix wearing a Lord Blackthorn robe at the party. I would love to join the party but I'm more than 4k miles away, so I need a plane to pick me up along the way.

Last edited:

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't want to disappoint anyone, but I also expect "something" to be announced at the town hall, not like an expansion, but the Honor moongate and Blackthorn's fascination with Ilshenar and Gilforn's research, the real purpose of Ilshenar, as well as duplicated npcs, several extended maintenance... well, maybe not, but I can dream, can't I?

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think he is trying to accomplish anything, he was some time ago though, trying to tell that the developers should invest in attracting new players by moving the game from 20th to 21st century, but he probably gave up like many others before him. His 5k guess might actually be close for the number of active players and not the number of accounts (it means about 200 active players per shard); too often we see users complain here for their falling houses as a result of some billing issues, it shows that while they have multiple accounts, they haven't even checked one in 3 months. My initial guess was 75k but this was before I learned about Draconi's 50k statement in 2009.

Trying to make the game better with constructive criticisms is one thing. Forecasting the gloom and doom with no solid information to back it up accomplishes nothing. Furthermore, this is not the thread to do that in. It's like throwing a birthday party and a doomsday prophet shows up. Ultimately, he has the freedom to do what he wishes but it's just poor tastes to do that in this particular thread.

Last edited:

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pinco is pretty much the reason some of us still play the game. He improved the enhanced client more than any developer ever did and spent a good deal of time working on it. So saying "this game may be awful to you" is just not fair.

This is offensive since it says that the players who are realistic about the current state of the game have mental illnesses. It seems they are ruining the threads since they are not clapping hard enough. If they visit a psychiatrist, they will learn that they are not actually bitter or angry, they are just sad to see their precious game being neglected to the fullest extent by its publisher company. They are not trying to lower the morale, they are urging the developers to take action. Most of them are working for the fan sites and they do care for this game deeply. They haven't seen much effort to celebrate the 15th anniversary (now 13th anniversary was an exciting time for UO: from June 22 to October 28, 2010, just a four month period, they hosted a town hall meeting, started In the Shadow of Virtue event cycle, updated the Treasure Map system and MiB loot, introduced the Bard Masteries and released the High Seas booster pack and also celebrated the 13th anniversary), they haven't read anything inspiring for a very long time and these little facts make them even more sad: "Richard Garriott has said more in his 2-hour livestream yesterday about a game that won't be out until late 2013 than our developers have said about UO in the past 6 months."

Nevertheless, I'm quite excited for the 15th anniversary: I'm hoping for a UO.com (and maybe even MyUO) relaunch on September 24th, so that we can visit the site at 25th. I will also be glad to see Lord Blackthorn, no offense to the previous rulers but he is more unpredictable and thus more fun. Mesanna wore a GM robe at the 13th anniversary town hall, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Phoenix wearing a Lord Blackthorn robe at the party. I would love to join the party but I'm more than 4k miles away, so I need a plane to pick me up along the way.

People who keeps repeating the same thing over and over again and trying to force the constant negative stuff down our throat and never have anything good to say have bigger issues then UO.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It amazes me how bitter people can get. What are you trying to accomplish here? Your posts and a couple of others have been nothing but doom and gloom. I mean give it a rest. This thread was about the 15th year anniversary party, a major milestone to stay the least and here you are posting about 2k subscriptions, game dropping, 10 people attending, nothing new to report. Really? I heard they were near full capacity registration of which the room they booked was capped at 80.

Bottom line is: If you don't like the food, don't eat it. If you don't like the movie, don't watch it. If you don't like this game, don't play it. But to badmouth it post after post after post why do it? This game may be awful to you but to some of us still enjoy it. Some of us still thinks paying 10 bucks per month in order to have access to a 24/7 on-line playing is still the cheapest form of entertainment. I am hoping this game will last another 2 decades. You think that's wishful thinking, don't be so sure as every time I see Galaga in a movie theater or in a bar, I have to toss in a few quarters just to play it and that game hasn't changed for 3+ decades.

Perhaps for those who are under 20 paying 20-30 bucks a month could be a concern, but for those of us who grew up with this game and are now in our 30s and 40s or beyond, shelling out 40-50 bucks per month is nothing. I spend more than that just to go see a movie and have dinner afterwards.
Just ignore them, its just the same few that are ruining every thread. They have bigger problems then UO. My advice to them, a good psychiatrist. :)
from the top of your ivory tower everything is fine and everyone is happy... keep living in your dream, one day you will wake up and if you are smart enough you will understand...
All this time wasted in developing useless events instead of improving the game graphics and playstyle is just like eating poisoned food: you will feel the effects when it's too late.

And no, I'm not just random speaking to lower the morale. The devs have already done that by doing nothing to improve the game, and the people after some years lose the patience and they just go away. I'm playing by many years and what I saw in this game is that they always take the wrong turn when it's time to take a big decision, I hoped for many years in some positive changes that could bring this game to the glory it deserve...
It was like hoping in a teenage punk to became a doctor, he always promise to change in order to take your money, but you always have to take him off the jail. Well now I'm deciding to let him rot in jail, not because I'm evil, but because I've just lost the hope and without hope there is no future, in short: "he have failed me for the last time!" :D

If you tell this to a psychiatrist, he will tells you that I've just stopped to be delusional and started to be realistic :p

Last edited:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pinco, we accept that you're disappointed in current progress with EC, though they have fixed some of the crashing issues recently.
But.
It is not necessary to express your displeasure on so many different threads, and especially not on this one, which is meant to be a celebration.
That goes for some of the other doom and gloom posters too.
We know some people are not happy, they've told us ad nauseam. Let's give it a break please?

Last edited:

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pinco, we accept that you're disappointed in current progress with EC, though they have fixed some of the crashing issues recently.
But.
It is not necessary to express your displeasure on so many different threads, and especially not on this one, which is meant to be a celebration.
We know some people are not happy, they've told us ad nauseam. Let's give it a break please?
yes, I think it's better or every post became a trolling party :p

Emma Silvermane

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
wewt got my car pool together :) finalizing plans on sunday :) woot this will be my first .. for one of these..

Emma Silvermane

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
its done .. We are going :p gonna be alotta drivin but were makin plans rooms will be ordered with in a week hes gonna call tomorrow see when he needs to have them ordered by and away we go! im soo exicted. lol so excited i cant even spell!

Emma Silvermane

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
View attachment 9871

Heres pretty mutch a google map of the direction im going in to get there

lol damn .. im leavin from louisville ky .. my ride is coming thru wisconsin to get me .. pick me up then head to va .. its 17 hours total .. but its 9 hours from here to fairfax ... its 6 hours from wisconsin to me .. so yeah i hear ya .. and they arent letting me drive at all :)

Bazer

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I booked my room the day they announced the motel and discount. Really hope to see allot of people stay at the th motel they advertised.

Emma Silvermane

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the one they advertised is the marriott right the fairfax one? i hope they still got rooms!!!!! hes callin tomorrow!

Emma Silvermane

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just called and they gave me the sls managers name and voice mail .. i just hope its not to late to get a room in that hotel with everyone else .. that would suck bad if we cant

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'd like to get some room space with someone getting a room - I'm unlikely to be able to afford a room by myself, but should be able to pay part of one. Being a veteran of dozens of cons, I'm used to sleeping on a floor, if that's what it takes.

Back at the high seas launch I pulled off a marathon drive to Fairfax AND BACK in 26 hours, including the time at the event and the bar afterward (no, I didn't drink anything stronger than coke).

Last edited:

Bazer

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the room was honestly cheap when i booked it, just wish it wasent just a a kingsize bed in it, i tried to get one with twin beds, but it woudlent offer it.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Like I said, I don't mind sleeping on floors - Conventions stick staff 3-6 into rooms with only 2 beds all the time. And, if you're working as a gopher (volunteer working to get your con membership refunded), it can be as high as the room can fit ("Max Occupancy"? We don't need no stinking Max Occupancy! (I've been in rooms with 15 gophers before, 4 friends crammed into a king-size, 2 more people in comfy chairs and 10 people scattered on the floor in sleeping bags and spare blankets, comforters, etc.) The roof over the head is the important part.

Bazer

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I work for OMGcon and we had around 12 people in each of our vollenteer motel rooms the last coupple of years, but if u still need it by the time the u get there u can always stay in my room if need be.

Last edited:

Emma Silvermane

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
he got the room today its one king size and one sofa bed .. free wifi and wired internet .. ummmm and im not sure what else but yea it ended up being 197 for friday and sat and it sleeps 3 is what it says so .. we are good :) im soo stoked!

Bazer

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Emma Silvermane your room was 197$? wow mine was only 172.22, was tempted to ask for a top floor but decided to choose no pref to room location in hoping to be around more of the group, not sure if i need the early check in or not, not sure what time ill get there Friday.

Emma Silvermane

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It was a typo ours was 179 .. its a king and a sofa bed and there are 3 of us .. i called the manager or emailed rather and thats the way the rooms they blocked off are i guess who knows .. and i dont kno when the check iin is but we wont even be there till 4 or 5pm friday afternoon hopefully in time for dinner i guess they are all getting together for dinner then hittin the bar after :) on friday .. its going to be a long day leaving louisville about umm 7am then getting there about umm 4 am .. when are u leaving paducah?

Bazer

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
pretty mutch right after midterm finals at my school, hope i can get em done fast, so prob be leaving around 2 or 3 central time. And drive all night and just realized ill prob get there around 2 or 3 am... >.>

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Trust me - going up I-81 you aren't missing anything....

We need to figure out when we need to meet, and if you will be wanting me to drive any.

Bazer

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
oo so u are going? sweeet, deff could use someone to help drive. Tuesday im gana talk to my teacher about the midterm, to see when she has it scheduled.

Emma Silvermane

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
they are coming thru wisconsin to get me at like 1 we are sleeping till 6-7 then leaving and hoping to get there around
4-6 on friday so we can catch dinner with everyone and drinking that night and all that jazz and i hear there will be
post meet up drinking too :)

SinDee

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you guys happening to meet up for breakfest on sat before the event starts? Only asking due to I wont need to sleep over at the hotel I'm only a 5 hour drive so I will hoof it and poof but i'm sure to be hungry when I get there!

Nails Warstein

Royal Explorer & Grand Archaeologian Of Sosaria
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
If anyone from New York or New England are considering driving down, please message me, maybe we can carpool.

Emma Silvermane

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you guys happening to meet up for breakfest on sat before the event starts? Only asking due to I wont need to sleep over at the hotel I'm only a 5 hour drive so I will hoof it and poof but i'm sure to be hungry when I get there!

I know they are doing dinner friday evening . but not sure about breakfast.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
good for the japanese, but if you count the multiple accounts required to play this game (so you can have many imaginary friends to play with), every person who quit remove a good number of accounts... My friends (real one, not imaginary) uses to have 5-6 accounts before they all quit... I have 3 accounts, but in the latest months I started to keep just 1 active at time and in few months I'm probably going to quit.

Japanese are probably made for grinding with the 486 and CC, I'd like to see a game like this evolve and not to fossilize, but seems noone care about that...
like the fossils this game will live forever, but just because of their nature they can only stay in a museum
What the heck will we do without your wonderful mod for the EC, Pinco? Geez, don't quit.

Lady Silverbrook

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
What the heck will we do without your wonderful mod for the EC, Pinco? Geez, don't quit.
Pinco has done more for the EC as a hobby in his spare time than the entire UO skeleton crew has accomplished in FIVE YEARS.

I totally understand his frustration and desire to leave.

Emma Silvermane

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep i'm going to book my room for friday maybe i'll run into you guys :)
i just found out the hotel serves FREE breakfast so we are doing that before the event then hitting the bar fter .. dinner will be around 7pm sat night

Bazer

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
these are specific UO shirts... and gata keep em clean and neat.

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But.
yeah pinco!!!!!!!!

SinDee

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i'm having a shirt made up with my guild's crest on it. I ordered from cafepress I hope it turns out right.

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Okay, for the rest of us poor newbs that can't make it, someone needs to have a little heart..

It would be really nice if someone there, while you are all in the bar or where ever, could set up a video camera and stream it. Then some of you log in game on a pre-announced shard and get in general chat so we can harass ya'all. If someone has a projector you can set it up where ever you are so you can all see the game screen.

Then we can party too.:shots::banana:

Rhiannon

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
[envy]My daughter lives in the area but alas I cannot make the trip (flights INTO Vegas area cheap. Going out, not so much). I will be with you all in spirit![/envy]

SinDee

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay, for the rest of us poor newbs that can't make it, someone needs to have a little heart..

It would be really nice if someone there, while you are all in the bar or where ever, could set up a video camera and stream it. Then some of you log in game on a pre-announced shard and get in general chat so we can harass ya'all. If someone has a projector you can set it up where ever you are so you can all see the game screen.

Then we can party too.:shots::banana:
Wont the UO staff being this themselfs? if I'll be sure to shoot as much video and takes pics as my phone can hold.