• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] Publish 73 Comes to Origin (Edited)

Felonious Monk

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

You know what these different item types (lesser magic item, major magic item, etc.) need? Colorned names! You know, like the greatest loot-farming game of all time, Diablo 2, which let's face it this game has been shamelessly borrowing from since AOS.

Plus color-coding just plain makes it easier to mouse over something and know whether or not you should take a closer look.

Colored names! Colored names! Tickle my lizard-brain loot reflex!
EC......

Shiznit Bo'Bourbon

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
No one cares what the European Commission has to say about this, or that you have Erectile Cancer, or whatever you're trying to tell us! (Well actually, if you have Erectile Cancer then you have my sympathy, but anyway.) This is about loooot!

And yes I am totally serial about this guys. Need colored names. Regular crap in the regular yellow, then pink, then green, then orange, then... not purple, that's WoW... then... electric cyan! Glorious electric cyan!

My inner lootmonger hungers for fancy colors. Oh and random artifact names. Not just "X longsword of Y". That's fine for most items, but the best crap should have totally different random names based on the type of item they are. Like if a plate helmet drops with the best level of mods, don't call it a "invincible plate helmet of sweetness" call it... SKULL BUCKET! Or... BEAST DOME! Or some other weird randomized vaguely helmet-related name!

Oh man give those highest-level items random hues too! Sure you can dye them if you don't like the color, but that'll REALLY tell you "Hey stop and look at this thing!" when you open the corpse.

Because then you'll be like, this is my metallic purple Skull Bucket. MINE. You can farm Shame for the next billion years and probably never get another metallic purple Skull Bucket with just those properties. That item is one of a kind.

I demand loot! Not just any loot, FANCY loot!

EDIT: By the way, this loot already makes everything in Doom look even stupider than it already did. Your new boss wants to revitalize old parts of the game, overhaul Doom with new arties.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
With origin being fixed, I am able to finally claim the seedbox. It is a 4th year reward FYI

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you seriously asking for them to drop the usefulness of ITEM ID... (i know, I live in the past, go figure)

and make neon weapons appear... already identified... requiring no participation from another character or community.

I say good job on making UO more like a business and less like a Ultima... but noone cares anyway.

So I'm enjoying this anyways... !

I'm impressed this time by the dev interaction, more positives than negative... but still, siege is the only place where this will be extremely fun, for a while !

Then they will boost the crafters, but have them grind for it... rince and repeat :p

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It will take a while to absorb the implications of the new loot as far as building suits goes. It should definitely give crafters who might have been bored with imbuing and enhancing some new stuff to think about. It will probably also make the folks who've already applied their new bless deeds to items gnash their teeth and wish for more deeds, but maybe that's a good thing too. (I don't use 'em, so I'm not sure.)
I donno, I am still pretty happy with imbuing atm.

The problem with these new items, is that you are talking about re-balancing a suit or trying to build a suit around a cursed or brittle piece? Maybe for a tamer or mystic, but not for any melee character.

Speaking of melee characters, I love the sampire because it allows you to melee the tough mobs. The top end mobs should not just be left for greater dragons / mystics with RCs and archers/throwers to kite it around.

I disagree that melee is for pvp only, and I feel that a spec'ed out character completely geared towards it should be able to at least stand some chance at meleeing the top mobs. UO is not built for the idea of a group system. When they make it so people in a party can set separate loot coffins, that will be a big step towards that- because then people would be willing (in my opinion) to play a dedicated healer.

Yeah, that was a tangent, wasn't it?

Anyway, after playing on the shard of the dead a couple of days, I can see some of the early insane clean loots going for 10s of millions. But really, because of the caps that exist in the game, and the way things are balanced- I am having a hard time seeing how much if any of this equipment (other than an absolute perfect piece) makes it way into an existing suit.

It's going to be interesting for sure.

O

olduofan

With origin being fixed, I am able to finally claim the seedbox. It is a 4th year reward FYI

few questions if I may, If you put 500 seeds in it does it count as 1 or 500? and what if you have stacked seeds does that count as 1 or the amount of the stack? also can anything else be put in the box like potions water pitchers etc?

Thanks again for posting the pics...:)

Shiznit Bo'Bourbon

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Seriously, here's all you do. First you fill a file up with say 100 different nouns and adjectives.

Awesome
Fiendish
Brilliant
Hell
Skull
Whatever...

Then you make eight or ten little smaller files, one for each paperdoll slot, and fill them each with a dozen words that suggest whatever sort of item goes in that slot. You know, a dozen words that describe helmets, or whatever. For example, for weapons:

Ripper
Destroyer
Gutter
Slicer
Etcetera...

Then when a top-level weapon drops, it gets a name with the first word from the first file, and the second word from the second file. So instead of a Vampiric Sword of Smashing you get... FIENDISH RIPPER or SKULL SLICER! With 100 words in the first file and a dozen in each secondary file, that's 1200 different possible item names. It'll be ages before someone else on your shard gets another Skull Slicer, and even then it'll probably be a katana instead of an axe, or whatever.

Diablo 2 did precisely this and people farmed the crap out of loot in that game for years and years and years, and THAT loot never even wore out or anything.

It doesn't have to be neon colored, like Ahuaisdfbhesdjhk the Insane babbled about, either. Just give it the color of some existing artifact. Make a helmet that weird pink color of the Bone Crusher. Make a sword the color of the Helm of Insight. Whatever. You'll dye it anyway.

PVPers! You too! You know you don't wanna be "that guy with the really powerful kat he got from Shame, it has like 68 hit lightning bla bla". You wanna be the guy who wields HELL GUTTER!

SKULL STOMPER
BLOOD SLICER
FANG CHOPPER

YEAH!

"I has a Mangler I got in Abyss!"
"I have HELL GUTTER!"
"Oh wow how do I get one?"
"THIS IS THE ONLY ONE!"

O

olduofan

*Flashes a fake badge and walks into the High Security Vault*
I don't want to ruin a team members Christmas so I wont post them all unless they dun care :)

Just logged into UO....ever get the feeling that you're being watched?

is that image the new Santa gift ?

TheChocolits

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Re: [UO Herald] Publish 73 Comes to Origin

Christmas in November?
Heh, came across this pic on my facebook news feeds and I thought of the upcoming publish, lol. But tbh, I do miss the turkey events..

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After Lum the Mad... Ahuaisdfbhesdjhk the Insane...

great, at least I inspire you Shiznit... lol you are starting to type in my style :)

You should read yourself when you joined in at first...

What about the item comes blank, maybe with a light hue that still looks metallic for weapons etc... you ID it, then get to NAME IT YOURSELF ?!

lol... isn't that even better... nobody has to put up with a nice sword that happens to have a terrible name anymore.

How roleplay is it that a guy can look at your paperdoll and tell all the stats on your weapons...

*sigh*

MMO RPG... not MMO medieval sim city business heaven...

K

Kayne

Quick question for Petra: Do you need help with gathering information on the new mobs and if so what info do you need and where do we submit it?
Tina, feel free to drop me a PM with any info you wish to submit. I am able to update the information as required, and I can easily pass it to petra as required.

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyone seen UBWS mod on new loot weapons?
Anyone seen FC 1 mod on new loot shields and weapons?

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
So when is pub 73 coming to all shards? My recollection is that publishes usually go live on Thursdays so they can monitor on Friday. I know tomorrow is a US holiday, but I am hopeful this goes live this afternoon.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
So when is pub 73 coming to all shards? My recollection is that publishes usually go live on Thursdays so they can monitor on Friday. I know tomorrow is a US holiday, but I am hopeful this goes live this afternoon.
Yeah I was guessing that it wouldn't go live until the transfer shields could be tested, but you can't really test them because noone can transfer off of Origin until the rest of the shards have the publish.

My crafter wants to come home! Before I spend the rest of my gold on Atlantic lol.

I haven't heard/found or read about any bugs/glitches etc. so it would be nice to have an ETA, though I don't mind hogging the publish I'm sure everyone else wants a go at it :)

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
There is date posted earlier. Dunno is it tied to pub 73.
Ohhh that could be...seeing as most shards still have killer pumpkins and trick or treating they may be waiting until after the 12th..didn't even think about that :mf_prop:

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Re: [UO Herald] Publish 73 Comes to Origin

Heh, came across this pic on my facebook news feeds and I thought of the upcoming publish, lol. But tbh, I do miss the turkey events..

Ok I've ALWAYS been angry that people seem to skip right over thanksgiving (which is my second favorite holiday right behind halloween). That pic just made my background collage!