• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] Message from the Game Masters

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In recent live events we have had some players who have been disruptive to the Event Moderators and other players. Going forward any player that disrupts an event will be asked to stop from the EM hosting the event. If the player continues to disrupt the event they will be removed from the area and a GM will be paged to handle the situation. Based on the GM’s investigation and findings, their account could be subject to punitive actions. If you would like to dispute such actions, you may click here and leave a detailed description.

More...

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good luck with that - last time I tried to get a GM I waited about 6hrs, was still 9th in the queue and gave up.

EDIT: Either give the EM's the power to deal with this themselves or do nothing. By bringing the GM's in, a lot of bad feeling is going to be generated when EM's have GM's on tap and players can't get one to show up for love nor money.

K

Kurgan

Interesting:

Wonders if this was an event held in Fel?

If so, makes you wonder about the policies of EA.

If it is a player run event in Fel, and people disrupt it.
GM says: It is Fel and that is life.

If an EM holds an event, and players disrupt it. A GM will be called and your account could be subject to punitive actions.

If this is the case.. Sounds like a bunch of double talk.

Just my .2

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't worry, all the EM's will get is a canned message about how they will look into the situation and because of privacy reasons they will not be informed of any actions that were taken.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I think this is a great idea especialy on ls where there are a couple of jerks that disrupt everything for attention
here is the definition of disrupt
1. To throw into confusion or disorder: Protesters disrupted the candidate's speech.
2. To interrupt or impede the progress, movement, or procedure of: Our efforts in the garden were disrupted by an early frost.
3. To break or burst; rupture.

I think 1 and 2 are the key definitions here

I personaly think that if the EM asks you to stop whatever you are doing that should be enough trying to cover every possible action with a definition would be a waste of time and take way to long if you are being a ass I am pretty sure most people around will know it!

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I certainly hope they don't classify killing an opposing faction member a disruption. Should be fun with all of the new orange names running around for the next week.

*starts making deadly poison and greater explosion kegs for the event*...la

M

Mikeee

This is great! The last event had so many people being disruptive like turning into horrific beasts and spamming stuff. I dont mind the funny joke or whatever but dont spam so I cant see the EMs texts.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
doubtful that normal gameplay such as you describe, Rico, would warrant an action

seems obvious that they are targeting the spammers, I think.... at least I hope so... the EMs must be as fed up with that as most of us are

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Interesting:

Wonders if this was an event held in Fel?

If so, makes you wonder about the policies of EA.

If it is a player run event in Fel, and people disrupt it.
GM says: It is Fel and that is life.

If an EM holds an event, and players disrupt it. A GM will be called and your account could be subject to punitive actions.

If this is the case.. Sounds like a bunch of double talk.

Just my .2
I think the idea goes more like - if you run events, BYOG (bring you own guardians).

Player-run events - you arrange your own army
EA-run events - they arrange their own army. Unfortunately, their army is made up of invul people running around in red robes...

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
doubtful that normal gameplay such as you describe, Rico, would warrant an action

seems obvious that they are targeting the spammers, I think.... at least I hope so... the EMs must be as fed up with that as most of us are
Play Siege more often...our events don't get spammed, and all are under the Fel ruleset...la

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good luck with that - last time I tried to get a GM I waited about 6hrs, was still 9th in the queue and gave up.

EDIT: Either give the EM's the power to deal with this themselves or do nothing. By bringing the GM's in, a lot of bad feeling is going to be generated when EM's have GM's on tap and players can't get one to show up for love nor money.
Waited about an hour and a half today but got a result. Maybe the GMs were going at Calmac speed when you last paged them.:hahaha:

C

Chrissay_

To clarify this a little bit we do allow normal gameplay and Role Playing at the events. The things that disrupt events are things like but not limited to spamming spells and spamming text.

Chrissay

G

Grumm

Rico, Draconi replied to the upcoming event on the Felucca facet involving Factions. He stated that PvP is a part of Factions and therefor not considered "poor conduct". Don't know where they will draw the line with it though.

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Waited about an hour and a half today but got a result. Maybe the GMs were going at Calmac speed when you last paged them.:hahaha:

I LIKE Calmac speed - gives me time to admire the dolphins and seals. And hang the kids over the side if they misbehave :D

In all seriousness, leave GM's out of the events. Even at 90 minutes, the event would be long over. And for EM's to have a speedy response on tap is really going to tick a lot of people off - me included. Give the EM's a way to deal with the idiots.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To clarify this a little bit we do allow normal gameplay and Role Playing at the events. The things that disrupt events are things like but not limited to spamming spells and spamming text.

Chrissay
Fair enough. The nice thing about it being in Felucca, the EM's can request assistance from the players.

EM: Player over there, please stop spamming.
Spamming player: No
EM: Will the rest of you please take this person out?
*moments later*
Spamming player:OOOOooooOOooooo

...la

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Fair enough. The nice thing about it being in Felucca, the EM's can request assistance from the players.

EM: Player over there, please stop spamming.
Spamming player: No
EM: Will the rest of you please take this person out?
*moments later*
Spamming player:OOOOooooOOooooo

...la
lol now that would be funny

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
first off if I am not mistaken the EM's have direct access to the GM's where as we are put in a list so if there is a gm on the em will or should have instant access to them I know counclers used to !

K

Kiminality

In all seriousness, leave GM's out of the events. Even at 90 minutes, the event would be long over. And for EM's to have a speedy response on tap is really going to tick a lot of people off - me included. Give the EM's a way to deal with the idiots.
But...
But... They're... Staff...

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
Id love to see a Gm show up for anything LoL :lick:

zared of napa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got 12 chars on different shards.
From what i have noticed the more interaction the em's have with the players the less disruption.
The em's For Napa and Pacific interact with the players not just read from a book .The em's set up seating for the players came in early and just shot the breeze with us.the crimson dragon insulted me several times,Asked the tamed dragons around them why they could put up with being imprisoned from humans.Its just the little stuff that means alot to the players..

The worst shard i was on the EM showed up did not talk to anyone just came in said everybody follow me. That shard was the worst for spamming p-fields,e-fields, vortex's spamming speech. They had to call a GM
Rather silly if he would have cared about his job from the start players would not have acted like heathans.

A better idea rather than take action on said account is grant the em's the power to send the offending player to jelom Jail for a 5 min time out if they make it back great if not too bad.

BlissMarie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Going forward any player that disrupts an event will be asked to stop from the EM hosting the event. If the player continues to disrupt the event they will be removed from the area and a GM will be paged to handle the situation.
This is good news! Thanks for taking a stand on this issue.

BlissMarie

Petrify

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is killing 20+ people over and over and delaying the event by 30+ minutes with a shadow fiend considered disruptive?

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is killing 20+ people over and over and delaying the event by 30+ minutes with a shadow fiend considered disruptive?
Considering Draconi even said PvP is a part of factions and thus not considered disruptive, no.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In recent live events we have had some players who have been disruptive to the Event Moderators and other players. Going forward any player that disrupts an event will be asked to stop from the EM hosting the event. If the player continues to disrupt the event they will be removed from the area and a GM will be paged to handle the situation. Based on the GM’s investigation and findings, their account could be subject to punitive actions. If you would like to dispute such actions, you may click here and leave a detailed description.

More...
Thank God!! Finally!
It's about time....We've been saying this since the first event :scholar:

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

More...
:thumbup: :party: :thumbup1:

Since EM's technically work for Mythic, them getting GM assistance should be no problem at all.

O

Old Man of UO

I'm sure the GM's will be at the event to get their event reward, too!

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kudos for this. For as much as people complained about spammers and what not, you'd think this announcement would get a better reception. Does that mean that the UO player base has aged into the grumpy old gamers category?

Myphsar

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Great news, :)
But a lot of bad mouthing does come from RP'ers,
I mean, Someone in a very well known RP guild calling somone a ******?
Is that normal Roleplaying standard?

L

Lord Drakelord

Chrissay
Spamming text I can understand, "selling this and that at etc.."

But we have a lot of players that hotkey spells and when they are typing a message in game they will be hitting those hotkeys and you going to see those spells flash across the screen when this happens. Now to take action against players that hotkey spells is not the answer as you going to get a lot of people really pissed off.

Now if there is a problem with someone spamming at an event I am attending I put them on ignore, [currently I have four players on my list], problem solved. As for spell spamming, as long as they do not cast them, then I am happy.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do think that there needs to be a "no-go" zone around where NPC action takes place - there are already some zones like like that, such as around Lord British's throne (at least on Legends). Or even, in a more extreme case, perhaps some sequelching/crowd-control tools like the Yew court drama?

Also, when the two dragons had at it, perhaps there should have either been a blow-back or else some collateral damage to reinforce the "that warning really was for your own good" message.

It wasn't so much the spam as the crowding that I think that got in the way. On the other hand, I'm not sure this is the best timing for this announcment if you are going to have a Fel-based event this weekend - unless the plan is to control the crowd from having at it before things get started?

D

Dor of Sonoma

More...
I worry that 'disruptive' behavior is too open to individual interpretation. After witnessing Event Moderators' actions on a couple of different shards recently, I have noticed that some (not all!) seem to be quite inexperienced at player interaction (or any sort of roleplaying, for that matter - but that's another story).

So...say, for instance, that a shard is stuck with a Sunday school teacher as an Event Moderator - will the players be doubly punished for having to deal with a lack of content and an anxious, humorless sort?

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I think we all know exactly the kinds of behavior they are referring to.

- Parking dragons on event characters.
- Spamming text of any kind. Not just saying something, but saying it over, and over, and over, and over, and over.
- Casting field spells, throwing Conflag pots, etc.

These kinds of behaviors do not serve to foster RPing, they only serve to disrupt.

I imagine that a player with with a question, or a remark, would not have any action taken against them...whereas some a$$ that is spamming obscenities over top of the speech of an event character would. And that is as it should be IMO.

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Great news, :)
But a lot of bad mouthing does come from RP'ers,
I mean, Someone in a very well known RP guild calling somone a ******?
Is that normal Roleplaying standard?
My main mage once got called 'fylthy wytch spawn' once by RP'ers from a well known guild, does that count?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
At the Events I've been too ..... Things that were disruptive and quite frankly down right irritating were:

Spamming gate in a packed room so that everyone walking by this particular choke point would "accidentally" go into the gate that you couldn't see because 30 people were standing around it.... This WASN'T them gating friends in..... this gate was to some Highly remote location in the middle of no where.... and this person continued to spam the gave dozens and dozens of times....

Spamming spells over and over and over so you can't see or read what the EM is saying....

Bringing your cupid to the event and having it spam filth... despite the supposed "fix" ....

Bringing Dragons and entering the building with them standing on top of the EM when he asked several times for folk to please stable them.

Myphsar

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My main mage once got called 'fylthy wytch spawn' once by RP'ers from a well known guild, does that count?
Hardly the same,
I thought you could get banned for calling somone a ****** ingame,
But because they wear GM made armour and emote everythng its ok?

V

von Beck

FAIL. Too little too late.

1) Too late - people disturbing previous events should have been jailed/banned, there's no need to give them a warning...

2) Too little - e.g. Petrify spams spells. EM asks Pet to stop. Pet stops and switches to another char, spams spells. EM asks Pet to stop. Pet stops and switches to another char, spams spells... repeat... Pettles wins... again...

Events are flashing-red targets for griefers. Everyone knows this. There should be an invisible GM watching every event and anyone who starts disturbing the event should be instantly teleported to jail, account marked, and account banned on the second offense.

I'm tired of being subjected to the antics of immature accountants in a game I pay to play...

K

Kiminality

Hardly the same,
I thought you could get banned for calling somone a ****** ingame,
But because they wear GM made armour and emote everythng its ok?
I assume you've taken your grievances to the GMs of the guilds involved...

Fluffi

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Define "disrupt" so players know where the line is...la

I play both sides of the divide, and would suggest something like:

1) Trammel events:
When idiots spam chat and/or fields simply to disrupt an event, the EM gives them a private warning. If this is ignored, the EM announces the player xxxx is an enemy and be killed and looted on the spot. Let the players administer justice.
If player xxxx gets a res, returns, and continues disrupting, let the EM announce that player xxxx is an enemy, and that their insurance doesn't work anymore. That would stop 90% of the idiots.
I know that this will never happen, but as a PvP capable roleplayer, I am allowed to dream.

2) Felucca / Siege events:
Reds are going to attack. Oranges are going to attack.
Just ask them to do it quietly, and not fill the screen with chat while they kill/die/steal.

K

Katlene

This has come far to late to be any use to oce. glad its going to be happening but i doubt it will work on the morons we have to put up with at events

Myphsar

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It was'nt directed at me, all i done was notice it.
It was'nt between 2 RP'ers btw, it was a Roleplayer saying it to somone else (a non RP'er)

Edit : dont get me wrong tho, i love watching Roleplayers acting out, its just they can be rude somtimes :(

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
we have a lot of players that hotkey spells and when they are typing a message in game they will be hitting those hotkeys and you going to see those spells flash across the screen when this happens. Now to take action against players that hotkey spells is not the answer as you going to get a lot of people really pissed off.
Personallly I do not find this an excuse. People can't have a need for every letter key on their keyboard bound to some spell. And those same people have absolutely no problem at all talking without casting spells when they are trying to sell something at the bank, or cursing someone out for letting em die at a spawn. And if they do have everything tied to their letter keys, they need to learn to use the F sections, that's 36 macroes there that's free and clear.
/rant

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I did. He apologised, but pointed out that to RP'ers, that's what mages are. I, in return, pointed out that we're each entitled to play the game the way we please so long as we don't interfere with anyone elses enjoyment. Mutual agreement ensued.

I like RP'ers, although it's not my 'thing', so I'll usually play along a bit if required and assist where I can, but I do draw the line at being insulted!

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In defense of at least some macroers, I would point out that KR defaults to macros first, text later. It is very easy to start a conversation, forget to hit enter and have all manor of things happen.

Always a good idea to make sure you don't have any disrobing macro linked to "H", "E", "L" or "O".