• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] Got another Survey For You!

Status
Not open for further replies.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I would rather the colors were permanent..... not only making one seriously consider what they are doing before they do it.
They should be upon death they lose color. This would keep them being needed and a purpose for the quest more often.

chrisjwhite

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The black dragons look pretty sweet. They should be in game. Not sure about everything else though.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Leave the inane dying on TC. I don't mind creatures spawning in reasonable hue variations, but pet dying? Oh god no.

And for the "If you don't want it, you don;t have to dye your pet"... that's all well and good... do we get a filter (at least in the Enhanced Client) to un-dye YOUR pet on OUR screen?

It's already bad enough that an EM event gets covered up in dragon wings, doe sit have to turn into flapping technicolor puke as well? I mean take the images posted here about the Shadowlord spawns with the PILES of dragons... now imagine that looking like a United Colors of Benneton advertisement.

I don't mind color and all, but let's be reasonable. Pet dying is a Test Center gimmick and should always be nothing more than that IMO.

M

Mitzlplik_SP

A compromise: how about, instead of wholesale dunking the pet in a dye tub, instead come out with a set of "warpaint" designs...tattoos and the like that can be painted onto pets that will help customize them but will be more natural-looking and less offensive to the eyes of those who are turned off by bright colors?
Now that is a great idea. I would love to have my GD all tatted up,hehe. Forgot to mention that I like the pet dye idea.I would freeking love to have my GD dyed black. I hope it makes it in.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I´m with the dog on this one...

I do think the idea is interesting though but personally, I don´t think I´m ready to have the game I like look like a damn circus ingame.

I do however think that this idea is do-able:

A compromise: how about, instead of wholesale dunking the pet in a dye tub, instead come out with a set of "warpaint" designs...tattoos and the like that can be painted onto pets that will help customize them but will be more natural-looking and less offensive to the eyes of those who are turned off by bright colors?
And since the dog pic is so funny, we´ll throw it in here one more time. :D

M

Mijac_Chmon

It takes away the need to search for the right pet. Once again, this is a stupid example of giving players everything they want on a platter instead of making them work for it. It's the easy way out.

I know you will have to complete a Quest for it, but once that Quest is figured out it will just be powergamed and will become no challenge.

Plus, the monotone pets look crap. There should be some multi-toning to all creatures in the game.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To clear up confusion on this it is a reward for completing a puzzle in the Under World. It is FREE to anyone who completes the puzzle.
I would rather have a old ride rather than new colors.... umm like The silver steed....the opposing ride to the dreadmare..

Mabey five to six hues of the original steed coloring.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It takes away the need to search for the right pet. Once again, this is a stupid example of giving players everything they want on a platter instead of making them work for it. It's the easy way out.

I know you will have to complete a Quest for it, but once that Quest is figured out it will just be powergamed and will become no challenge.
Yep, soon enough all the puzzle solutions will be posted on fan sites and the only challenge will be making it to the correction locations to do the puzzles. And if you can't be bothered with doing that, you'll always be able to buy the dye from your favorite vendor.

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep, soon enough all the puzzle solutions will be posted on fan sites and the only challenge will be making it to the correction locations to do the puzzles. And if you can't be bothered with doing that, you'll always be able to buy the dye from your favorite vendor.
Actually, all of the ones to get to the dyes are completely random.. there's nothing that could be posted.

B

Beastmaster

I didn't see 1 person here acknowledge the fact that the dye wears off in 7 days. Can no one here read? It was mentioned at the top and then made into question #2.

As Fallout said, I see alot of the negative posters here as nothing more than anti-tamer flamers. Everything that is offered up for tamers immediately draws the wrath of that vocal minority. It was recently acknowledged in another thread here that taming is absolutely the hardest skill to train, yet this bunch of flamers rises against them getting anything.

B

Beastmaster

Who Cares If it wears off, the last ****ing thing I want to see is a bubble gum colored Greater dragon named bubbles rolling along **** that ****!Wtf!
Where exactly did you see "bubblegum" color? Did you bother voting against colors you didn't want to see? No? Just another bandwagon jumper?

BTW, I'd like to see some browns, tans, blonds in the mix. Personally I'd replace the blues with those and maybe keep the dark blue.

Uthar Pendragon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While random they may be there is still a limited amount of puzzles availible to choose from. good note taking and they will all be figured out soon enough.

I dont mind it if the colors are normal for that animal to come in but the llamas and beetles well they would look just bad.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Who Cares If it wears off, the last ****ing thing I want to see is a bubble gum colored Greater dragon named bubbles rolling along **** that ****!Wtf!
JOY!

New Dragon name in

Bubbles!!!

Specialshoes

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As Fallout said, I see alot of the negative posters here as nothing more than anti-tamer flamers. Everything that is offered up for tamers immediately draws the wrath of that vocal minority. It was recently acknowledged in another thread here that taming is absolutely the hardest skill to train, yet this bunch of flamers rises against them getting anything.

Nope love my tamer. Won't give up my tamer. Don't want want the streets to run with gum drops and lollipops.

D

Duke SP

We would like to hear your oppinion on Pet Dyes. Please read the top of the survey and take a close look at the screenshots prior to filling it out. There are 2 pages to this survey so please ensure that you check out the second page.

You can take the survey HERE.

More...
Didn't they get rid of the neon dyes because of stupidity?

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Where exactly did you see "bubblegum" color? Did you bother voting against colors you didn't want to see? No? Just another bandwagon jumper?

BTW, I'd like to see some browns, tans, blonds in the mix. Personally I'd replace the blues with those and maybe keep the dark blue.
yes I did vote beast master, look at" bright red" and tell me it isn't pink.

This pastel craze is bs.

T

Trebr Drab

I don't like this idea as is. Some posted an idea of war paint, and I thought that was good.

But what's really wrong with this game is that horses are useless, ethies are too easy, and dragons (and others) are over powered. Where has common sense gone? Did UO developers discover an open window that says "throw out common sense here"?

aoLOLita

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like the idea - and the color choices :) Myself, I've always thought the pack beetle's carapace should have been able to be "painted" different colors.

Now if we could get some flower decals for his beetle bug, my hippie miner would feel he's back in the 60's again :p:p

Bombastic Fail

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would be ok with this under 1 option; It be for faction && make faction colors only!! TB Purple, COM Blue, Minax Red, and SL Green. Thats it. Add more things to make factions more desireable. Link it to towns. :thumbsup:

PS: Please dont do the dark green. Some people have Dark Green OLD SL War Horses, that are very rare (probably the closest to a rare mount in game besides the illegal Anceint Wyrm and Silver Steeds). If you do the "DARK GREEN" color; the rarity just goes out the window.

B

Beastmaster

Where has common sense gone? Did UO developers discover an open window that says "throw out common sense here"?

Common sense left when the marketers got a louder voice. WHen marketers can sit around a table and say "Let's not waste money on packaging and advertising. We have a bunch of pixel junkies that will pay for anything we offer them." Just look at Pogo. People spend insane amount of cash on Pogo for pixels and they can't even swap the stuff like we do.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have mixed feelings

I would support the dyes under the following conditions:

1. Get rid of the oranges, and a lot of the bright/dull colors (the Bright red/pink is particularly irksome, if the date isn't 14 February). 8-10 colors should be plenty.

2. Restrict it to pets of 3 control slots, or more (with a possible exception of armored swampies). This would give people who aren't tamers a few options (mostly beetles), but prevents a flood of garishly dyed horses, llamas and ostards (I shudder to imagine what a dyed ridgeback would look like). IT would allow miners to "tone down" their fire beetle, and tamers to personalize their big pets to better track them.

3. Make it last more than 7 days; say a 5% chance per death that the dye will wear off at the end of 14 days. So, if a dyed dragon dies 12 times during the 14 days it retains its color, but on day 15 or later, the next death will have a 60% chance the dye is lost (and the death after that will be 65%, etc.)

Bombastic Fail

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not to mention; doesn't anyone remember the rage and uproar when the tokuno dyes were on the swampys? Man those things hurt my eyes.

N

Nastia Cross

PLEASE I BEG YOU GODS OF UO NO PET DYES EVER!!!! Please, please, PLEASE do not implement pet dyes!!

Sakkarah_

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They'll only wake up about what a truly horrid idea this is when someone tries to scam them using dyed pets.
As a clarification, dyed pets will have a "dyed" tag on them visible on mouse over to reduce the risks of scams. This tag appears below the pet's name (like an item property), so it will not affect other tags the pet may have.

The puzzle you obtain the dyes from is not from the puzzle boxes. It will always be 100% random anytime you do it. No "solutions" can be posted for it as it is generated in real time as you're doing it. It can also only be done once a day per character.

Specialshoes

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now if we could get some flower decals for his beetle bug, my hippie miner would feel he's back in the 60's again :p:p
Well that would give my macer a reason to walk around with a shield and a club and give some sense to a dirty hippy.

N

Nvnter

I am Saying YES! My Green Mouser a Tamer for many many years can have green pets. It has been a while since this game made me felt childish but I absolutely Love the Idea. Its all about diversity and in no way does the color of a pet affect gameplay. I do suggest that they make the scouring dye a rare. lets us dye our pets but make it a challenge to change the color if we dont like it. Also make the the pet paint job permanent except for scouring usage. When I dye my clothes and armor the color sticks so should my pets.

Damia TMC

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Peronally I love the idea of colored pets, yes I want a pink dragon. :) Thow stones if you want, I think this is a wonderful idea, and I haven't talked to anyone personally yet that didn't like the idea. The ones who like it are afraid to post because they'll get flamed.

The puzzles are really hard, you have to get through the different rooms in 30 minutes.
If you make a wrong move, or take too long to make a move, you're booted back to the beginning no matter which room you're in. I have no idea how many rooms there are, I made it into the second room once, got booted back to the beginning and didn't make it through the first room again before my gem expired.

Each time I had to start over it was a completely different pattern, there's no walk throughs to post, no way to cheat at this, it changes everytime you're sent back to the beginning, which happens a lot. I don't think we'll be seeing a lot of these in game, and it's a shame it only lasts for 7 days as hard as it is to get through.

mbraud4

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Garbage idea, trammies go back in your cave on this one. You guys dont even know how to experience this game to the fullest so ur opinion doesnt count IMO. Scrap this idea fellahs....

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

mbruad, this "Trammie" does NOT want pet dying so you can put away the broad brush k.thx.

O

Old Man of UO

Not sure why such an out cry. I don't mind most of the colors (orange- yech). Some pets come in colors now, and will be the ones you can't dye. No one has complained about those before. So I say why not; don't dye your pet if you don't like it.

mbraud4

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not sure why such an out cry. I don't mind most of the colors (orange- yech). Some pets come in colors now, and will be the ones you can't dye. No one has complained about those before. So I say why not; don't dye your pet if you don't like it.
We should also insert hello kitty tokens, where you can use them to get a roaming Hello Kitty or maybe a Power Ranger token, that way whoever wants one to follow them aroudn they can use a token and voila! U have a power ranger walking aroudn UO. Oh and oh yeah...if you dont like the idea, dont use the token...

Silly Logic...Some things are un-needed....when u start looking for ways to improve a game that rly serves no purpose then u end up destroying the game...just my 2 cents.

T

Turles

i voted no the real servers are not test and should never be made it be anymore like test. before putting anything like in how about fixing things that are needed point balance in factions or waiting for sa and start balancing everything because we all know it will need a balance. just like every other expansion it will be very buggy and broken so please before ever thinking of doing that fix the things that really need to be fixed please

Specialshoes

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Silly Logic...Some things are un-needed....when u start looking for ways to improve a game that rly serves no purpose then u end up destroying the game...just my 2 cents.
YES! This is the equivalent of adding cousin Oliver to the Brady Bunch.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As I posted in the beta forum:

I am afraid I cannot believe how petty this whole thing is.

Whenever asked about a change the first thing anyone should do is step back from their 'own' likes and dislikes and ask themselves a couple of questions:

Is this going to affect game balance? (ie will anyone become overpowered/underpowered)...... No (has no bearing on game balance)
Is this something that will be exploited, as in scripted so that normal players will not be able to compete?......... No (once a day quest)
Is this a permanent change to an item/person/pet that has potential upsides/downsides to game play, if so what are they? ......... No (is a 'temporary' change to a 'color')
Will this have an adverse effect on another template/item use?......... No (is a 'temporary' change to a 'color')
Is this just a novelty/quirky/fun thing to do? ie does it 'enhance' the game play experience for anyone? ....... Yes (some people will have fun with it, it makes no difference anything)
Is it only just a graphical change? .......... Yes (a temporary graphic change at that)

This shouldn't be about whether he likes the colors, she likes the colors or if I like the colors. Frankly, his, her and my opinions on color are not worth a thing in this debate. Color is subjective, always will be.

For those tossing up hands and saying noooooooooo!! come on, really, why on earth is it such a big deal? Basically, those not interested in having a ''colored" pet will in all likelihood do the quest once, use a dye 'once' or 'sell' it if it can be sold and be done with it. End of story. The ONLY reason to say no is that you wish to deny those who 'do' want to regularly 'dye' their pet the opportunity. It does NOT effect you in the slightest, so stop being so petty.

Those who wish to use the dyes should be able to either do the quest over and over each day if they so chose to get a random dye and blow this on their pet til they get the 'right' color, or pay whatever prices the vendors elect to 'charge' for these dyes. All in all they are available to all either free or for a fee and those who wish to will do it and those who don't won't. It could actually be a way for newbie players to make a little petty cash supplying 'pet dyes' to those who have nothing better to waste their money on. Not only that it could 'add' a lot of fun or open some potential to player run events such as horse races or chicken fights where the pet is in 'color' etc. Heaps of potential for FUN here.

As for all the authenticity, immersion, not 'UO' comments, frankly, there is so much in UO that is far from whatever is supposed to be 'normal' that that argument went out a LONG time ago. All you are talking about here is a 'color'.

There is NOTHING wrong with the actual proposal(it shouldn't even 'need' to be asked as to whether it should go in). The only thing that may need debate/consultation should be based on the following options:

Color:

Would you prefer:
1. Colors As shown
2. Colors As shown (no black/white)
3. Colors - muted tones (no neons/brights)
4. Colors - muted tones only (no neons/brights, no black/white).

Timer:

1. 7 days as shown.
2. 14 days.
3. Hour based (ie 25 hrs in game time).
4. Permanent until pet death.

I just don't believe how selfish some people can be. Your personal likes and dislikes have NO BEARING on this issue.

My personal views are:

Do I like all the colors? ............ nope, some are ok, some are revolting.
Am I going to bother dying my pets? ................. Probably not.
Would I try selling dyes for a profit? .......... Probably (depends on difficulty v profit ratio)
Do I care if someone else wants to dye their pet? ............ NO

But guess what? MY PERSONAL VIEWS DON'T MATTER.

M

Malimus

Good idea but too many colors and too many very un-natural colors.

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Look at it this way EA, if you implement pet dyes, you will be pissing off a lot of people while pleasing some, if you DO NOT implement pet dyes, no one will be affected negatively, therefore it makes sense to not introduce them so that no one is upset

Specialshoes

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Exactly. So why should anyone step back and answer your questions if it doesn't matter.

As for your questions basically boiling down to why not if it doesn't bother me.

It does bother me. I don't play this game for other people's enjoyment. I play it because I enjoy it. And I don't enjoy the idea of having to have my eyes gouged out any further by the great color sense that alot of the UO community has.

T

The Fallout

As I posted in the beta forum:

I am afraid I cannot believe how petty this whole thing is.

Whenever asked about a change the first thing anyone should do is step back from their 'own' likes and dislikes and ask themselves a couple of questions:

Is this going to affect game balance? (ie will anyone become overpowered/underpowered)...... No (has no bearing on game balance)
Is this something that will be exploited, as in scripted so that normal players will not be able to compete?......... No (once a day quest)
Is this a permanent change to an item/person/pet that has potential upsides/downsides to game play, if so what are they? ......... No (is a 'temporary' change to a 'color')
Will this have an adverse effect on another template/item use?......... No (is a 'temporary' change to a 'color')
Is this just a novelty/quirky/fun thing to do? ie does it 'enhance' the game play experience for anyone? ....... Yes (some people will have fun with it, it makes no difference anything)
Is it only just a graphical change? .......... Yes (a temporary graphic change at that)

This shouldn't be about whether he likes the colors, she likes the colors or if I like the colors. Frankly, his, her and my opinions on color are not worth a thing in this debate. Color is subjective, always will be.

For those tossing up hands and saying noooooooooo!! come on, really, why on earth is it such a big deal? Basically, those not interested in having a ''colored" pet will in all likelihood do the quest once, use a dye 'once' or 'sell' it if it can be sold and be done with it. End of story. The ONLY reason to say no is that you wish to deny those who 'do' want to regularly 'dye' their pet the opportunity. It does NOT effect you in the slightest, so stop being so petty.

Those who wish to use the dyes should be able to either do the quest over and over each day if they so chose to get a random dye and blow this on their pet til they get the 'right' color, or pay whatever prices the vendors elect to 'charge' for these dyes. All in all they are available to all either free or for a fee and those who wish to will do it and those who don't won't. It could actually be a way for newbie players to make a little petty cash supplying 'pet dyes' to those who have nothing better to waste their money on. Not only that it could 'add' a lot of fun or open some potential to player run events such as horse races or chicken fights where the pet is in 'color' etc. Heaps of potential for FUN here.

As for all the authenticity, immersion, not 'UO' comments, frankly, there is so much in UO that is far from whatever is supposed to be 'normal' that that argument went out a LONG time ago. All you are talking about here is a 'color'.

There is NOTHING wrong with the actual proposal(it shouldn't even 'need' to be asked as to whether it should go in). The only thing that may need debate/consultation should be based on the following options:

Color:

Would you prefer:
1. Colors As shown
2. Colors As shown (no black/white)
3. Colors - muted tones (no neons/brights)
4. Colors - muted tones only (no neons/brights, no black/white).

Timer:

1. 7 days as shown.
2. 14 days.
3. Hour based (ie 25 hrs in game time).
4. Permanent until pet death.

I just don't believe how selfish some people can be. Your personal likes and dislikes have NO BEARING on this issue.

My personal views are:

Do I like all the colors? ............ nope, some are ok, some are revolting.
Am I going to bother dying my pets? ................. Probably not.
Would I try selling dyes for a profit? .......... Probably (depends on difficulty v profit ratio)
Do I care if someone else wants to dye their pet? ............ NO

Best post in the whole thread. This post tramples on anything anyone said for or against the new dyes.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Exactly. So why should anyone step back and answer your questions if it doesn't matter.

As for your questions basically boiling down to why not if it doesn't bother me.

It does bother me. I don't play this game for other people's enjoyment. I play it because I enjoy it. And I don't enjoy the idea of having to have my eyes gouged out any further by the great color sense that alot of the UO community has.
Please learn to read.

The questions that 'do matter' are at the top, these are the types of questions everyone should ask themselves when going to make a 'comment' on a new proposal. Anything else that is subjective, such as graphics, color, style, is basically down to personal preference and you will NEVER get all to agree so it is a waste of effort to even bother, making your whole comment on something subjective is a total waste of time and is pretty much invalid.

And yes, you just confirmed my statement:

I have highlighted in RED the part/s of your statement that basically show that you don't care what 'a lot' of the UO community likes/doesn't like and why this whole thing is totally petty. If you don't play for others people's enjoyment and don't like it that a LOT of other ppl may like things different to you then why would you play a MULTIPLAYER GAME.

As I said there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the actual proposal, just a consensus and/or a majority view on the broader 'types' of colors that should be available and the kind of timer on the things.

You all need to think about some of the more 'fun' things that this could engender, such as pet races, pet auctions, fashion parades, selling pet dyes on vendors, etc etc. LOL I love the dude who said well "I might not have time to get them to 'sell' therefore it is a bad idea that others might be able to sell em". This is the typical Uhall thinking.

Stop being so petty and fun killing. It is a temporary dye job. Good grief, need to change the name of this forum from UHall to PettyHall Station.

Z

Zodia

Yes please, I like these dyes very much.

A MILLION TIMES, YES!!

Sorry whiners, you lose.

Specialshoes

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And yes, you just confirmed my statement:

I have highlighted in RED the part/s of your statement that basically show that you don't care what 'a lot' of the UO community likes/doesn't like and why this whole thing is totally petty. If you don't play for others people's enjoyment and don't like it that a LOT of other ppl may like things different to you then why would you play a MULTIPLAYER GAME.

It's not that I basically don't care what the UO community likes/doesn't. It is that I completely don't care And being a MULTIPLAYER game. I can choose to ridicule and shun those that I don't like and choose to be around people that think a little more along the lines I do to further..... wait for it......wait for it.......MY OWN ENJOYMENT.

And as for petty. Yeah a little. But I'm ok and comfortable with that. Just something you have to deal with in a multiplayer game/

S

Sweeney

The color choices could have been much much better. This is what we're going to see, only replace some of the horses with dragons.

[edit]Heh, after studying the picture.. there are dragons![/edit]

C

canary

Yes please, I like these dyes very much.

A MILLION TIMES, YES!!

Sorry whiners, you lose.
Why is someone always referred to as a 'whiner' on these boards just because they disagree with others? That always baffles me that people have the gall to use that word. It's a cheap shot, imo, and WAY overused around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.