• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] Got another Survey For You!

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

The Fallout

The silent majority are winning. The minority is being loud, I also do understand their reasoning (most of the time) I even think it shouldn't be a blanket dye but only dye parts like in the one pic in this thread, alas I'd rather have them then not.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Very vocal people have mounted a very good campaign against this. Of course the reason you see the critics of this system and not those who support it is because those who support it don't feel like dealing with the taunts and trolls and flames of those don't like it. It's simple and all those silent voices have spoken in the polls where the decision was made to put them in. Same thing goes for here as it does with the facebook.
I am getting pretty tired of this defense. Every time something is discussed on Stratics now people claim that it is meaningless because most players don't participate. So why even bother having this forum, Stratics should just close it down.

I am fully in support of a polling system which takes place within the client. One account counts as one vote. Login to make your voice heard. They did this one time with Kingdom Reborn and then never again. It would be the most fair way to handle a vote like this.

It was definitely not fair to put this to closed beta testers. That truly is a minority of UO players who are very slanted towards a certain disposition. The past 2 betas I was in I saw it for myself.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am getting pretty tired of this defense. Every time something is discussed on Stratics now people claim that it is meaningless because most players don't participate. So why even bother having this forum, Stratics should just close it down.

I am fully in support of a polling system which takes place within the client. One account counts as one vote. Login to make your voice heard. They did this one time with Kingdom Reborn and then never again. It would be the most fair way to handle a vote like this.

It was definitely not fair to put this to closed beta testers. That truly is a minority of UO players who are very slanted towards a certain disposition. The past 2 betas I was in I saw it for myself.
The only people who don't like the majority vote are those in the minority. Sorry, you are in the minority. It's not like this stance is taken on everything. Powerscrolls would be in tram if it was.

A client voting would be spectacular. I doubt we will ever see on but I'd love it to become a normal occurance.

As for the beta. Are you saying the beta vote was bad why? It was given to the beta players before it came here. I don't see how it makes any difference. It wasn't the beta vote that made the decision for this to come in. It was this poll.

Siteswap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I agree absolutely.

Have a FAIR poll that EVERYBODY gets the opportunity to vote on.

If then after the fair poll, they decide to implement pet dyes then the Devs should take some pride in their work and implement it PROPERLY. No cheap, crass rehue.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Really? I can't think of a single player I know who hasn't dyed something with Tokuno dyes.
A lot of people have used Tokuno Dyes. You specified brightly hued ones in your first question. I just went to Luna on Atlantic and took a screenshot of the people at the gate. Very few bright hues.

M

Mephistos

The minority is being loud
You got that right. 31 people account for 60% of the posts in this thread (275 posts by them/458 total posts), and I really don't think that 31 people is a very good representation for all the people who play this game. That's why they had a poll.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A lot of people have used Tokuno Dyes. You specified brightly hued ones in your first question. I just went to Luna on Atlantic and took a screenshot of the people at the gate. Very few bright hues.
Wait ... your argument against adding colors is that the ones that have already been added to the game aren't offending your eyes?

(realizes that it's probably bad for the head to read the middle of one of these threads)

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I'm referring to the bright hues. I went to Luna bank myself and looked around after I made my statement and a majority of players were wearing something dyed with a bright Tokuno hue. I asked my friends again and while some of the returning players haven't dyed anything with bright Tokuno hues, they wanted to but couldn't afford them because of the high prices, high prices generated due to popularity I might add.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Really? I can't think of a single player I know who hasn't dyed something with Tokuno dyes.

Good grief. The reason is because you pick and choose what picture you want to show number 1. Number 2, the dyes are very rare nowadays and at 1mil per use they aren't as common as they would be if they were available. We are all smarter than that JC.

Now take a look at that picture and tell me how many people have outrageously colored hair. Now tell me that people don't like bright hues.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I agree with this. I do think the most useful polls would be polls when you log into your account. That would keep people like me out who have yet to reopen their account. I think also it would just be a good thing for them to get into the habit of putting up a poll every month or so, so that when something like this comes along, it doesn't get blown out of proportion.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wait ... your argument against adding colors is that the ones that have already been added to the game aren't offending your eyes?
I wasn't arguing anything. I was responding to a question.
Good grief. The reason is because you pick and choose what picture you want to show number 1. Number 2, the dyes are very rare nowadays and at 1mil per use they aren't as common as they would be if they were available. We are all smarter than that JC.
There is a Paragon Gold bottle with 50 charges for sale on Atlantic for 4 million gold. That is 80,000 per charge, not 1 million. The dyes are not rare nor expensive. A couple Fire Orange for the same price.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Now take a look at that picture and tell me how many people have outrageously colored hair. Now tell me that people don't like bright hues.
To be fair to him, I asked a specific question to which he was responding. At least he's providing something to back up his argument rather than just saying a majority of players dislike bright hues. I can respect an argument like this even if I'm not convinced yet.

My general point is that I believe the majority of UO players aren't against bright hues and many willingly make use of them. You see them everywhere. Of course, some items are naturally brightly hued and it can be argued that players are forced use put up with the hues if they want to reap the benefits of these items, but then there are the personal choice items like Ice White veteran robes, bright hair dyes, etc. which are still quite prevalent.

EA has stated that their polls is slanted pretty far towards supporting pet dyes. The anti-crowd claims the poll is bogus, yet there is evidence in-game that UO players do indeed enjoy the bright colors which supports these polling numbers.

Let's say EA were to produce polling numbers which irrefutably show the majority of UO players prefer pet dyes. Would the anti-crowd back down? No and I probably wouldn't either if I believed as they do. What these debates do, however, is allow the Court of EA to weight the evidence and the arguments to make a decision.

So, for EA, remember all the bellyaching that came about when people found out the old bright Tokuno dyes weren't included in this last round of ToTs. Compare that response with your poll numbers, which I hope were as valid as possible. Third, if you could, post an in-game poll or at least publicize it on the patch page and make sure everyone knows it's a poll for pet dyes. Don't title it "Another Survey For You" because that's a good way to get it ignored.

On a side note, I'm surprised nobody has started a poll thread here.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

There is a Paragon Gold bottle with 50 charges for sale on Atlantic for 4 million gold. That is 80,000 per charge, not 1 million. The dyes are not rare nor expensive. A couple Fire Orange for the same price.
Really? Your going with Paragon Gold and Fire orange? When glacial blue, blaze, or luna white are 80k a charge PM me with the location. I'm sorry, you must have seen some other brightly colored clown falling off the turnip truck because I actually play the game.

Edit: Actually, that's a bluff. I only have a couple mil on ATL hehe

X

XLaCeDX

]

11 of these 16 players are wearing robes or shrouds so that we can not tell what color their armor is underneath.

Siteswap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would the anti-crowd back down? No and I probably wouldn't either if I believed as they do. What these debates do, however, is allow the Court of EA to weight the evidence and the arguments to make a decision.
If a fair poll showed that there was overwhelming desire for bright pet dyes then I would say 'so be it'. It doesnt mean I like them, but that I am prepared tpo accept that the 'overwhelming' majority deserve to have there needs met.

Also sable, there are many of the so called 'anti pet dye' brigade here that are not against pet dyes per se, just the absolutely awful way EA are planning to implement it (rehue). It beggars belief that they could think of implementing it in such an amateurish, shoddy 'freeshard' style rather than doing the job properly like the professionally paid Developers that they are supposed to be.

It also reflects badly on UO players in general how easily they'll grab at any new pixel crack bone that they are thrown without expecting any sort of quality of product from EA. If the UO population as a whole had said "yes Devs ... great idea on the Pet Dyes, but do it properly please", then maybe we would have gotten a GREAT addition to the game. Instead we will most likely get a version of pet dying that just looks cheap and nasty because too many players are prepared to accept mediocrity in the product they pay for. In fact not only accept mediocrity, but kiss the devs feet for being served it up.

X

XLaCeDX

Ah the spoiled rich folk of UO!

4 million may not be alot to some of us, me included, but it is to those who have LIVES and can't be on UO 24/7.

:)

Hasn't anyone ever told you that JC?

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Really? Your going with Paragon Gold and Fire orange? When glacial blue, blaze, or luna white are 80k a charge PM me with the location. I'm sorry, you must have seen some other brightly colored clown falling off the turnip truck because I actually play the game.
Invulnerability Blue - 4-5 million
Blaze is Paragon Gold
Luna White - 4-5 million

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Invulnerability Blue - 4-5 million
Blaze is Paragon Gold
Luna White - 4-5 million
Yea. I saw those. Plus the Japanese tokens are all 4 mil as well. Without further derailing I'll just say they are more popular where I play. They would be more popular if they were easier to get as well is my opinion. Have little to do with the colossal matter at hand however. Back to the show!
:popcorn:

SouthernRageLNR

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This will ruin pvp, you wont be able to tell a g dragon from a white wyrm or a dreadmare from a horse/faction war horse.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If a fair poll showed that there was overwhelming desire for bright pet dyes then I would say 'so be it'. It doesnt mean I like them, but that I am prepared tpo accept that the 'overwhelming' majority deserve to have there needs met.

Also sable, there are many of the so called 'anti pet dye' brigade here that are not against pet dyes per se, just the absolutely awful way EA are planning to implement it (rehue). It beggars belief that they could think of implementing it in such an amateurish, shoddy 'freeshard' style rather than doing the job properly like the professionally paid Developers that they are supposed to be.

It also reflects badly on UO players in general how easily they'll grab at any new pixel crack bone that they are thrown without expecting any sort of quality of product from EA. If the UO population as a whole had said "yes Devs ... great idea on the Pet Dyes, but do it properly please", then maybe we would have gotten a GREAT addition to the game. Instead we will most likely get a version of pet dying that just looks cheap and nasty because too many players are prepared to accept mediocrity in the product they pay for. In fact not only accept mediocrity, but kiss the devs feet for being served it up.
Would it be fair to say that you are assuming that their poll is not fair? Are you absolutely certain they aren't logging votes by IP? Even if there are those out there switching IPs to log more votes, isn't it possible they are on both sides of the argument thus balancing each other out?

That aside, I'm aware there are those who want the dyes done differently and I don't really have an issue with that. There are, however, conflicting arguments on this matter to. The Devs must allocate their limited resources so they have to choose how far they can go with something. Yes, they could spend more time and do a great job but there's that that mob over there with their pitchforks and torches who argue about spending time on pet dyes rather than speedhacking and bugs.

Me personally, I hate the term pixel crack. It's a derogatory term for the introduction of goodies in UO. Usually, derogatory terms are just invented by people who dislike something and try to convince others to dislike it without any real argument other than their own personal bias.

I'm pretty sure the majority of UO players like receiving new goodies to chase after in-game. I see nothing wrong with providing that nor with enjoying that. I think it reflects more poorly on you that you judge other UO players for enjoying something new to chase after in-game. Sort of holier than thou, you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.