• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Updated Publish 81 on TC1

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't shake the feeling there is more to the refinement system than what we've seen so far. There has to be a good reason why all those new items were added but identical ones can't be stacked with each other. And it seems very incomplete to me to go to all that work to create a system that only lets you raise or sacrifice resists for some other property just with respect to nonmeddable armor. I'm wondering if something similar will be rolled out that lets you do the same for meddable armor if you sacrifice or add some property that would be useful to spellcasters.
Yeah it does rather silly to have all that and all it does it change two different things. But you never know sadly I wouldn;t be surprised if that is all that is planned :( but I hope you are right and there is more to it. I am still crossing my fingers that they make the components stackable and we get more control over what resists raise and lower. If they did those two things I would probably try it out. But otherwise I think it would be too much of a hassle for not enough benefit. I mean I play on Siege so I woudl really need a ton of this stuff laying around it sounds like to make sure I have backup refinements lol.

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Could we get a DEV to give us a formula for the NEW pub 81 stamina loss system? The stamina loss to damage ratio is obviously higher than pub 80 but its hard to known if its working correctly bc we dont know how its supposed to be working........ I hate having to test something to get the numbers and then sitting there wondering...."god I hope this is what they were trying for!"

zamot

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Could we get a DEV to give us a formula for the NEW pub 81 stamina loss system? The stamina loss to damage ratio is obviously higher than pub 80 but its hard to known if its working correctly bc we dont know how its supposed to be working........ I hate having to test something to get the numbers and then sitting there wondering...."god I hope this is what they were trying for!"
If you look at my post above it may explain it a bit more, as for a DEV posting a formula I wouldnt hold your breath. The short version of my test is that the initial stamina loss per hit is lowered but once your health gets low you lose about 20 stamina per hit. This was with the carpentry level armor. With Plate I lost no stamina until I reached the low hitpoint and then started losing 20 stamina. I was fighting Swoops Damage taken was 9-15 ( I believe).

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you look at my post above it may explain it a bit more, as for a DEV posting a formula I wouldnt hold your breath. The short version of my test is that the initial stamina loss per hit is lowered but once your health gets low you lose about 20 stamina per hit. This was with the carpentry level armor. With Plate I lost no stamina until I reached the low hitpoint and then started losing 20 stamina. I was fighting Swoops Damage taken was 9-15 ( I believe).
Again though, the question is - Is this working as intended? It is one thing to ask your paying customers to QC your work, it is quite another thing to ask and rely on your paying customers to QC your work when you don't provide them with the reasons for, or the specifics of the changes that you are putting forth.

Last edited:

zamot

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I didnt think of it that way. I just assumed it was suppossed to work the way it does. I see your point though and a Response from the Dev's would be great. And would also help eliminate the poor testing on my part. I mean the numbers given are what I see in the character sheet and sometimes they are going up at the same time I get hit, so it is hard to get a good starting point.

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've tried to stay out of this and I really hoped that common sense would come through to save the day but it seems as though this is not the case. Sigh, all the work seems to be a great waste. I'm not sure how this can be and why it is this way. Where was the call for such a great change that seems to be filled with errors and lack of information. I can understand this is the way that the team has decided to go over the last few years but COME ON at the very least give us a idea and some reasoning as to why you want to go this way.

Personally, for myself, UO is one of the few things that I do during my free time given that we all have kids, work and homes to run. What on earth makes the team think that we all have the time, will and desire to go makeing new stuff again when we can't even get a clear idea WTF is going on. Players have made better pictures describing the changes compared to the useless patch notes and there has been next to no conversation save for one guy.

Where is Bonnie in all of this mess and WTF happened to Jeff and his great twitter feed? This isn't 1998 anymore and UO isn't the only game in town.

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've tried to stay out of this and I really hoped that common sense would come through to save the day but it seems as though this is not the case. Sigh, all the work seems to be a great waste. I'm not sure how this can be and why it is this way. Where was the call for such a great change that seems to be filled with errors and lack of information. I can understand this is the way that the team has decided to go over the last few years but COME ON at the very least give us a idea and some reasoning as to why you want to go this way.

Personally, for myself, UO is one of the few things that I do during my free time given that we all have kids, work and homes to run. What on earth makes the team think that we all have the time, will and desire to go makeing new stuff again when we can't even get a clear idea WTF is going on. Players have made better pictures describing the changes compared to the useless patch notes and there has been next to no conversation save for one guy.

Where is Bonnie in all of this mess and WTF happened to Jeff and his great twitter feed? This isn't 1998 anymore and UO isn't the only game in town.
Picus, honestly, this may be the first time that I agree with you wholeheartedly. And by wholeheartedly, I mean at all, even a little bit. And that, really should say an awful lot about the track that these proposed changes are on.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like to know how the old system workes as well. I haven't really had issues maintaining stam in the past. Just get x amount of stamina to mate with a SSI goal and use divine fury or pile a chunk of stamina leech on my weapon. No need to get too intimate with stamina damage calculations.

There is still room for a few tweaks to the system but my general feel from the testing I have done is that different armor types feel very genuine.... more so than in most other games. I have to say these refinements and latest batch of armor changes really redeem my faith in our current dev team. Some complain about the complexity of all these systems, but you really dont have to be an expert craftsman or math wiz to be effective in PvM. Understand imbuing and you can get by just fine.

To those that do get into crafting like myself, systems like reforging and now refinement can really optimize the experience by making those farming runs much more efficient or making a general use suit more effective in new encounters or boss fights with friends. I absolutely love the complexity. My last TC suit took me through making good base items > to reforging stats I wanted spiked > to imbuing filler stats that will make things easier > to refining resists which will harden me against a specific damage dealing mob > to enhancing for a final resist/luck boost. Imbuing alone would have been enough to get by at an ok pace. Adding the other steps just made that specific template far superior to the mob I will use it against.

I remeber not so long ago crafters including myself were complaining we werent challenged enough or felt irrelevant against the age of artifacts that used to dominate trade in this game. We are far from that now.

Last edited:

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I didnt think of it that way. I just assumed it was suppossed to work the way it does. I see your point though and a Response from the Dev's would be great. And would also help eliminate the poor testing on my part. I mean the numbers given are what I see in the character sheet and sometimes they are going up at the same time I get hit, so it is hard to get a good starting point.
Zamot, I really appreciate you putting in the effort you did to document the state of stamina on test. it is what sparked my responses. However, the fact that you had to put this info out there about such a fundamental change to the game mechanics, and that it has not been addressed by the devs in any real discussion is what I take issue with. I understand the desire to change armor and weapons systems, but to change the underlying mechanics to do this?

To me this would be like me hiring a painter to paint my house blue with brown trim, only to come home and find that my house was half torn down. And when I confront the painter with "WTF is going on here?!", I am told "well, the blue and brown paint would not stick to the wood on your house, so we had to replace it all and start over with a different kind of wood, but hey the blue and brown look great, right?!".

Yeah, it would be just like that, except that the painters in this scenario, aren't even offering an answer as to why the house is half torn down.

Last edited:

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Has the char status window always looked this way on TC?
No, it's new on TC currently.
Secret client. I hate to say but this is the view that the normal client should have. It's got loads of info and is something that the team nailed.
This is what you're talking about ?

New status bar UO.jpg

I agree the extra statistics shown, lessons the need for a "Spread-sheet" for suit building, because it's all right there on your in-game status gump.

New Displays: LRC, DI, SDI, FC, FCR, HCI, DCI (Current & Cap), SSI, & resistances (Current & Caps).

Good direction with this... hopefully someday, they will have an in-game book with a list of item properties in it, to explain which property does what, like; Life leech & chance proc/life returned, and stuff like that.

Last edited:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm starting the process of trying to figure out for myself in what order the resists are affected when you use the armor refinement. It's getting pretty late here and I'm tired, so for now I'm probably just going to post what I see and not try too hard to interpret it.

I've started out with just making some studded leather gorgets, non-exceptional and from plain leather and then applying washed or cured thread made by combining braid with each of the 14 types of washes and cures available for studded leather. I lined up the washes and cures in the order listed in the publish notes, as quoted below:

Refinement Levels:
  • Defense - provides least chance at achieving maximum individual resist/ DCI bonus.
  • Shielding
  • Guarding
  • Protection
  • Hardening
  • Fortification
  • Invulnerability - provides greatest chance at achieving maximum individual resist/ DCI bonus.
A plain, unrefined nonexceptional studded leather gorget has these resists: 2% physical, 4% fire, 3% cold, 3% poison, and 4% energy.

Here's what plain nonexceptional studded leather gorget say after being "refined" with the various Washed Threads:

Defense:
Physical Resist 2% / -1% Max
Fire Resist 4% / -1% Max
Cold Resist 3% / -1% Max
Poison Resist 3%
Energy Resist 4%
Max Defense Chance Increase +6%

Shielding:
Fire Resist 4% / -1% Max
Cold Resist 3% / -1% Max
Poison Resist 3% / -1% Max
Energy Resist 4%
Max Defense Chance Increase +8%

Guarding:
Fire Resist 4% / -1% Max
Cold Resist 3% / -1% Max
Energy Resist 4%

Protection:
Fire Resist 4% / -1% Max
Cold Resist 3% / -1% Max
Energy Resist 4% / -1% Max
Max Defense Chance Increase +10%

Hardening:
Fire Resist 4% / -1% Max
Cold Resist 3% / -1% Max
Energy Resist 4% / -1% Max
Max Defense Chance Increase +10%

Fortification:
Fire Resist 4%
Cold Resist 3%
Poison Resist 3%
Energy Resist 4%
Max Defense Chance Increase +2%

Invulnerability:
Fire Resist 4% / -1% Max
Cold Resist 3% / -1% Max
Energy Resist 4%

Here are the results for applying the Cured Threads to similar gorgets:

Defense:
Physical Resist 2% / +1% Max
Fire Resist 4%
Cold Resist 3%
Poison Resist 3%
Energy Resist 4%
Max Defense Chance Increase -2%

Shielding:
Fire Resist 4% / +1% Max
Cold Resist 3% / +1% Max
Poison Resist 3%
Energy Resist 4%
Max Defense Chance Increase -6%

Guarding:
Fire Resist 4% / +1% Max
Cold Resist 3% / +1% Max
Poison Resist 3% / +1% Max
Energy Resist 4%
Max Defense Chance Increase -8%

Protection:
Fire Resist 4% / +1% Max
Cold Resist 3% / +1% Max
Poison Resist 3%
Energy Resist 4%
Max Defense Chance Increase -6%

Hardening:
Fire Resist 4%
Cold Resist 3%
Poison Resist 3%
Energy Resist 4%

Fortification:
Fire Resist 4%
Cold Resist 3%
Poison Resist 3%
Energy Resist 4%

Invulnerability
Fire Resist 4% / +1% Max
Cold Resist 3% / +1% Max
Poison Resist 3% / +1% Max
Energy Resist 4%

If the levels in the publish notes are supposed to be list strictly in succession by the results of using them, something seems to be terribly screwed up. Or maybe I'm just tired. However, the above results definitely have me scratching my head in puzzlement.

I will try some studded samurai, hide, and bone armor next to see what happens with those.

Last edited:

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Yeah there really needs to be an "advanced" crafting guide in there as well. Something that explains how things like imbuing and reforging and of course this new refinement system works.
Do you think this would be possible in a comprehensive and coherent way? That person would be a genius! I hope there won't be such a person writing essays about UO; Mankind rather needs them to find a way to cure cancer, HIV and all the other diseases.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I noticed tonight that the refinement NPC in the Trammel Trinsic tailor shop now provides some basic information about refinement when you click on him. I imagine the 5 other NPCs in Trammel and Fel are also set up to give that information too.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here's the info for studded leather mempos (plain resists are 2/4/3/3/3). Did these in the same order as above (Defense, Shielding, Guarding, Protection, Hardening, Fortification, and Invulnerability).

Washed Threads Applied
Defense:
Fire Resist 4% / -1% Max
Cold Resist 3% / -1% Max
Poison Resist 3%
Energy Resist 3%

Shielding:
Fire Resist 4% / -1% Max
Cold Resist 3% / -1% Max
Poison Resist 3%
Energy Resist 3%

Guarding:
Fire Resist 4%
Cold Resist 3%
Poison Resist 3%
Energy Resist 3%

Protection:
Fire Resist 4% / -1% Max
Cold Resist 3% / -1% Max
Poison Resist 3%
Energy Resist 3% / -1% Max

Hardening:
Fire Resist 4%
Cold Resist 3%
Poison Resist 3%
Energy Resist 3%

Fortification:
Fire Resist 4% / -1% Max
Cold Resist 3% / -1% Max
Poison Resist 3%
Energy Resist 3%

Invulnerability:
Fire Resist 4%
Cold Resist 3%
Poison Resist 3%
Energy Resist 3%

Here are the results for applying Cured Threads to the studded leather mempos.

Cured Threads Applied
Defense:
Fire Resist 4%
Cold Resist 3%
Poison Resist 3%
Energy Resist 3%

Shielding:
Fire Resist 4% / +1% Max
Cold Resist 3%
Poison Resist 3%
Energy Resist 3%
Max Defense Chance Increase -4%

Guarding:
Fire Resist 4%
Cold Resist 3%
Poison Resist 3%
Energy Resist 3%

Protection:
Fire Resist 4%
Cold Resist 3%
Poison Resist 3%
Energy Resist 3%

Hardening:
Fire Resist 4% / +1% Max
Cold Resist 3%
Poison Resist 3%
Energy Resist 3%
Max Defense Chance Increase -4%

Fortification:
Fire Resist 4% / +1% Max
Cold Resist 3% / +1% Max
Poison Resist 3%
Energy Resist 3% / +1% Max

Invulnerability:
Fire Resist 4% / +1% Max
Cold Resist 3% / +1% Max
Poison Resist 3%
Energy Resist 3% / +1% Max

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm going to try to set this information up in a table and plop it in a Google doc. Too hard to look at it this way and make any kind of sense out of it.
I'll help out a little bit. The refinements seem to modify min or max on a random NUMBER of resists from 1-5. The lower end refinements will most likely modify a lower number of resists, while the higher end refinements are likely to modify a higher number or all 5 resists.

No matter what number of resists are affected, each armor type will always modify resists in the same order as seen below, (this needs to be confirmed, it was a quick run through refining all the armor types):

When a resist is + or - modified, the trade off is always the opposite + or - modification to MAX DCI . For every resist point % modifed, 2% MAX DCI is modified in the oppsite. In the above chart, if I were to refine woodland armor with glazed resin, and two resists were rolled to modify, cold and poison resist caps would each be reduced by 1%. However MAX DCI would increase by 4%. You can re-refine the same piece of armor as many times as you like.

This system is neat but sort of gives elves an extra racial bonus. Hide is the only armor that modifies energy resist first. And there doesn't seem to be any armor that modifies poison first.

Last edited:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll help out a little bit. The refinements seem to modify min or max on a random NUMBER of resists from 1-5. The lower end refinements will most likely modify a lower number of resists, while the higher end refinements are likely to modify a higher number or all 5 resists.

No matter what number of resists are affected, each armor type will always modify resists in the same order as seen below, (this to be confirmed, it was a quick run through refining all the armor types):

When a resist is + or - modified, the trade off is always the opposite + or - modification to MAX DCI . For every resist point % modifed, 2% MAX DCI is modified in the oppsite. In the above chart, if I were to refine woodland armor with glazed resin, and two resists were rolled to modify, cold and poison resist caps would each be reduced by 1%. However MAX DCI would increase by 4%. You can re-refine the same piece of armor as many times as you like.

This system is neat but sort of gives elves an extra racial bonus. Hide is the only armor that modifies energy resist first. And there doesn't seem to be any armor that modifies poison first.
Thanks. I'll stop messing around with it now and go to bed, since it's almost 2 am here. Just finished killing the crafter to try to get rid of her extra weight again from using the braid and it didn't work (got impatient making the thread and picked up too much at once and put it in her pack). Grrr. Time to call it a night, I think.

Lore Denin (GL)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just a few thoughts on what seem to be specific trouble areas between players and proposed changes:

1) Balance on two-handed melee weapons:
Issue: Losing ability to parry and use evasion while using a two handed-weapons with the balance property
Solution: Have balanced two-handed melee weapons work like one-handed weapons in terms of parry (1/2 as effective - 0-17.5% for non samuri and 0-20% for Samuri characters)
Reasoning: Reduces penalty of balance property on Two-handed weapons to be in line with one-handed weapons.

2) Mage Armor property
Issue: Med at the cost of both Stam and LMC bonus
Solution: Mage armor allows med but reduces the stamina protection by one level (plate with mage armor would have stam reduction equivilant to non mage armor chain, chain mage armor same as non mage armor ring, etc). The LMC bonus granted by non mage armor would be reduced by 1% if the item has the mage armor property rather then nullified (with a min of 1% - a non med armor type with the mage property would never be reduced to 0).
Reasoning: Gives non med armor with mage armor property the ability to med but reduces (rather then nullifies) the bonus's of wearing non med armor.

3) Hit Lower Defense(HLD)
Issue: HLD is confusing because of the numbers - 55% reduction and a 95 DCI cap make things a little confusing for players to understand without a calculator.
Solution: Simplify - Make HLD reduce defense by 50% and cap DCI at 80. Thus making the math much easier, your DCI is halved when under HLD and DCI capped at 80 prevents people from having a suit that would be HLD proof. Max effective DCI would remain 45 but going over 45 DCI to the 80 DCI cap, allows greater protection but not complete immunity vs HLD.
[To keep things simple and universal I would propose to make Hit Lower Attack (HLA) work in the same manner]

4) Disarm
Issue: Timer discourages chaining the special but does not address the issue of nulliying defense.
Solution: In addition to the disarm timer(which seems to be a positive change) - add a dodge chance to warrior related classes similiar to what the Mage class already enjoys: Unarmed dodge Skill = (Wrestle skill) or ((Eval + Anat)/2) or ((Tactics + Anat)/2) whichever is higher.
Reasoning: This gives both melee and mage type characters a chance to dodge when disarmed. Non Wrestlers have to invest 240 skill points to have the dodge effectiveness of a 120 Wrestler and gain no offensive benefits as far as special moves.

**Side Issues: With the proposed changes to DCI cap and HLD, The DCI penality associated with Divine Fury is more powerful. I propose keeping the stam nerf for divine fury but reducing the DCI penalty to (-10) for 0-99.9, -(5) from 100 - 19.9 and (-0) at Legendary.

Last edited:

KLOMP

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I don't see why Mage Armor has to nerf stamina protection and so forth at all. It's a 140 weight imbue for crying out loud. If someone wants to use up a total of 5 imbue slots and 700 weight in putting Mage Armor on a plate suit, I say let him. Getting those last 15 points of LMC will cost him way more space on his suit than the first 40 did put together. Even if he took LRC off his suit, that wouldn't free up enough space.

The specter of it being possible certainly isn't worth wrecking a bunch of dexer arties.

Last edited:

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Eh.

I'm in the minority here I guess but I, for one, do not mind Mage Armor dumping the stamina damage absorption.
  • The Publish is supposed to be helping non-meddable armor, whereas Mage Armor is meddable by definition.
  • Samurai Plate typically is Mage Armor by default, and you get it as a free property (not for Imbuing purposes but for traditional crafting purposes). I fear Samurai Plate becoming once again The Only Armor Worth Having. Granted you'd have to burn a lot of Valorite Runic Hammers but that wasn't a significant obstacle for folks before.
  • The artifacts currently used by dexxers aren't going to be nerfed per se, they just will need to be replaced if one will want full Stamina damage absorption.

-Galen's player

KLOMP

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Then they need to take the stupid free Mage Armor property off Samurai plate, or better yet, do away with this idiotic LMC bonus completely. Or do both of those things. They certainly don't need to crap all over every Gladiator Collar, Heart of the Lion, and Mace & Shields in UO because they've invented some lame bonus nobody asked for.

The whole debacle is just so pointless. I can't believe they'd have the gall to talk about how much they listen to feedback, only to wade through a hail of tomatoes just to cram this garbage down our throats.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I donlt know we will see they have listened to some of our feedback. Not sure why they seem to be refusing to listen to certain things though. I mean I understand sometimes the feedback players give is not really good because they are just trying to help themselves or its just ranting lol. But things like the HLD/DCI changes being bad have been well explained same with why it is important to balance resists and why making mage armor lose all the stamina bonuses and inherant lmc is a bad idea. However despite these issues I do feel the publish is starting to go in the right direction. I am actually quite happy about somethings, like having more viable options for armor and weapons. I certainly donlt want the publish to go live as it is though. The above issues need to be addressed at the very least and I personally think they should ditch the refinement system. But to be honest if they put the refinement system as it is now I will probably just ignore it.
What exactly is it that people don't like with the dci/hld changes?

Pvp concerns?
Pvm concerns?

Last edited:

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Eh.

I'm in the minority here I guess but I, for one, do not mind Mage Armor dumping the stamina damage absorption.
  • The Publish is supposed to be helping non-meddable armor, whereas Mage Armor is meddable by definition.
  • Samurai Plate typically is Mage Armor by default, and you get it as a free property (not for Imbuing purposes but for traditional crafting purposes). I fear Samurai Plate becoming once again The Only Armor Worth Having. Granted you'd have to burn a lot of Valorite Runic Hammers but that wasn't a significant obstacle for folks before.
  • The artifacts currently used by dexxers aren't going to be nerfed per se, they just will need to be replaced if one will want full Stamina damage absorption.

-Galen's player
Yeah good point. I wonder if it would be possible to remove mage armor from those artifacts?

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They seem to have laid the train tracks for this pub, and changes and tweaks will be just that, no deviation from the destination of the tracks. The problem is that no one wants to get to the destination at the end of this rail, no matter how many amenities the rail car has. It's sad really, I have ignored content added from so many pubs (town loyalty, Halloween content, invasions, hell, even all of SA including Gargs and imbuing for like a whole year) in the past, and my game play was not really effected at all. To me, the changes being implemented here even with tweaks will not allow me to keep playing and ignore whatever crap was just thrown into the game. In this case, the crap CHANGES core systems of the game that force a casual player to do a whole bunch of research to re-tool their dexxers and crafters in order to continue playing at the same level that they are used to. As a side note, I know a bunch of people who do not read Stratics, and play. I cannot imagine the amount of GM pages that will occur if something similar to this change goes through and these players are given no more notice than a patch notification when they log in...
Huh?

What other notice can be given to your "casual" player?

If they cant even be bothered reading a patch notification that is the first thing they see EVERY time they log in who's fault is that? I guess the dev team is instead supposed to personally visit the home of every "casual" player to notify them of an update?

Either way its no big deal as they will log in and figure out fairly quickly that things have changed and I have to assume they will adapt as they always have in the past. Your "casual" gamers will be the least affected by the revamp as they have never cared about building the perfect suit or tweaking their template every week.
Based upon the revised notes and current testing on TC you can still fight and kill basically all the same **** you could before on your Sampire. Pvp is another thing but I dont think there are too many casual pvpers so no real big deal there imo.

All of this "OMG, I AM QUITTING UO BECAUSE I CANNOT INSTANTLY UNDERSTAND AND ADOPT THE HUGE REVAMP TO MY PERSONAL PLAYSTYLE" is getting pretty old.

A revamp btw that was asked for quite often by ALOT of posters on these boards.
I cant tell you how many times in the past couple years I have seen whining banksitters and non-pvpers whining about 'armor diversification'
"dragon scale this and dragon scale that and dragon scale is worthless omg bla, bla, bla"
You asked for it, you got it! Deal with it or stop whining about things that are not broken

If you have been a longtime vet of UO and these boards you damn well should have known you were gonna get more then you bargained for. And the funniest part is that if all you had gotten was a couple of simple and logical armor tweaks you all would have complained that it wasn't enough.

I will repeat what should be the number one rule on these boards:

Stop whining about things that are not broken

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Pvp concerns?
Pvm concerns?
Well the changes seem rather confusing and donlt seem to make much sense. The HLD goes off your cap for instance. So if you have 45% cap you can still stack up to 70% dci and still be HLD proof. However if you do the whole refinement for a 95% dci cap but have much less then that actually on your gear you are actually really hurting yourself. Because its going to take off dci based on that dci cap. So you could have 70 dci on and assuming my math is right end up with less then 20dci when hit with hld. It just doesn;t seem to make much sense. I mean I thought originally 55% hld thing would be a good thing and get rid of people being able to hld proof themselves. But it sounds like with these changes they will still be able to do exactly what they did before. Anyway there is a thread where I think Bleak explains how it is supposed to work if you want to check the dev tracking forum.

Last edited:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
OK, I went and tried this armor stamina stuff again, My results are as follows
Character started at 141 stamina. I went and fought the swoop. Below is the drop in stamina with woodland armor, (5 pieces)
At this point my health was low to mid 60, up to this point I was losing 2-9 stamina per hit and the swoop was hitting for 9-15 damage(i believe, I will check this again) Upon the next hit I dropped to 47 health and went to 62 stamina. That is a big jump, 22 as opposed to the 2-9. So my question would be why such a big jump with the lower life.

This was done with an elf(should have been a given), and not holding a weapon. Also all 70's resist except energy which was 75. I tried this multiple times with roughly the same results. I then noticed that If you start fighting with not all of your stamina that you will not lose any until several hits later.
Example was:
I have a stamina pool of 141 but after my death was only up to 64, I attacked the swoop and took damage but did not loose any stamina until my health was roughly mid to lower 60's. I then took the big stamina loss of about 20. I did not track how many hits I took from the swoop but this seemed weird to me. I tried this again and had the same results(still did not count the hits taken, I suck as a tester)

I then tried to attack the swoop with a weapon on the same character above, I was not able to keep my stamina up(stamina leach of 50 on weapon) while fighting and had to retreat several times to replenish my health and stamina. (the nerf on stamina leach is the issue with this setup)

I then logged in with my human that is wearing all plate armor. Fought the swoop with no weapon and I did not lose any stamina until I got low on health and then started losing roughly 20 stamina per hit. I tried this multiple times both riding a swampy and standing on the ground. I did not try to fight with a weapon. So I can do some more testing if anyone has any suggestions on how better to test this.

From what I tested: (woodland armor) the initial stamina loss has been reduced from current production shards to the test shard while the stamina loss taken at the bottom end(while health is low) is roughly as it is now on production. The same character setup on Production can kill the swoop standing toe to toe due to stamina leach on the weapon, on Test center I was unable to maintain the swing speed to damage/leach what I need back in time and had to run away to heal/ regain stamina. I tried casting divine fury which was a disaster as I would get hit and as soon as I did would lose the stamina that was just added by the spell. I did not try total refresh potions.

I believe this is the longest post I have ever typed
The lower your life gets the more stam you lose. So it sounds like they may have nerfed leaches with this new Pub.

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
DCI Over-capping can still negate the HLD changes, which causes the Armor Reinforcements to be ineffective (versus not using them). This creates two HLD-DCI scenarios, which make things messy, regardless of PvP or PvM.

No PVP dexer goes around without HLD, so now a guy who has 70/70 DCI is actually WORSE OFF than a guy who has 70 but left his cap at 45.
Yes and No.

Pub 81 Case 1:
Player A has 75 Max DCI from Armor Refinement and has 75 DCI.
Player B has 45 Max DCI and has 75 DCI.
Both players have equal skill and HCI.

Player B if hit with HLD will remain at 45 DCI due to over cap while Player A will be reduced to 34DCI.
Player B by over capping wins in this case versus HLD but Player A benefits from the fact that they are able to reach 70% DCI.
Player A while not under the effects of HLD is receiving a 9% defense increase over Player B.(Total Hit Chance)

Pub 81 Case 2:
Player A has 75 Max DCI from Armor Refinement and has 75 DCI.
Player B has 45 Max DCI and has 45 DCI.
Both players have equal skill and HCI.

Player B if hit with HLD will be reduced to 20 DCI while Player A will be reduced to 34DCI.
Since there is no over capping Player A is the clear winner: 20 DCI vs 34DCI
Player A while not under the effects of HLD is still is receiving a 9% defense increase over Player B.(Total Hit Chance)
Player A while under the effects of HLD is still is receiving a 6% defense increase over Player B.(Total Hit Chance)
With Case #1, Player A is always at a disatvantage for DCI and Resists (sacrificed to increase DCI), versus Player B, unless he also overcaps his DCI too. Because of DCI Over-capping, Player A will need to use armor reinforcements AND DCI properties to raise their Max Cap AND actual DCI to 80 (80*0.45=44.00), in order to maintain the same 45 DCI through HLD provided by overcapping and not using armor enhancements. Player A will also incur resist penalties, where as the over-capped player would not.

In order to remove Case#1 HLD would have to affect both the Max DCI cap and DCI.
Player A with 45 Max DCI and 70 DCI would be reduced to 25 Max DCI cap and 45 DCI.
Player A with 45 Max DCI and 0 DCI would be reduced to 25 Max DCI cap and -25 DCI.
Why not make HLD work just off the target's effective DCI, upto but not beyond their Max DCI cap? It does not have to affect the Max DCI cap, just ignore DCI values above the player Max DCI cap and treat them as the same value as the cap.

Bear with me, as I don't know how fractions are treated in the calculations.

Player C with 45 Max DCI and 35 DCI would be reduced to 19.25 DCI (=35*0.45), (Actual DCI < Max Cap).
Player C with 45 Max DCI and 45 DCI would be reduced to 24.75 DCI (=45*0.45), (Actual DCI = Max Cap).
Player C with 70 Max DCI and 70 DCI would be reduced to 38.50 DCI (=70*0.45), (Actual DCI = Max Cap).
Player C with 45 Max DCI and 70 DCI would be reduced to 24.75 DCI, (=45*0.45), (Actual DCI > Max Cap).

The HLD effect will always have an effect, since it cannot be negated through over-capping (this is an easy way to boost weapons for the revamp).

This will always award the player that traded off their resists for increased DCI. There will never be a scenario, such as Case #1, which gives greater benefit to those who have less. This is the sticking point for me. Case #1 is counter intuitive and adds unnecessary complexity. It allows a player to bypass the trade-off for the new armor reinforcements.

Stayin Alive,

BG

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gotcha.

My bad as I thought the idea was to make the old ability to over cap now a tradeoff.
Kinda like keep your old suit and stay hldproof or build a new suit to take advantage of the new refinements/bonuses but lose some dci. Sounded like a decent idea to me as I have always thought it gimp to be able to easily make your suit hldproof.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Huh?

If they cant even be bothered reading a patch notification that is the first thing they see EVERY time they log in who's fault is that? I guess the dev team is instead supposed to personally visit the home of every "casual" player to notify them of an update?

Either way its no big deal as they will log in and figure out fairly quickly that things have changed and I have to assume they will adapt as they always have in the past. Your "casual" gamers will be the least affected by the revamp as they have never cared about building the perfect suit or tweaking their template every week.
Based upon the revised notes and current testing on TC you can still fight and kill basically all the same **** you could before on your Sampire. Pvp is another thing but I dont think there are too many casual pvpers so no real big deal there imo.

All of this "OMG, I AM QUITTING UO BECAUSE I CANNOT INSTANTLY UNDERSTAND AND ADOPT THE HUGE REVAMP TO MY PERSONAL PLAYSTYLE" is getting pretty old.

I cant tell you how many times in the past couple years I have seen whining banksitters and non-pvpers whining about 'armor diversification'
"dragon scale this and dragon scale that and dragon scale is worthless omg bla, bla, bla"
You asked for it, you got it! Deal with it or stop whining about things that are not broken

If you have been a longtime vet of UO and these boards you damn well should have known you were gonna get more then you bargained for. And the funniest part is that if all you had gotten was a couple of simple and logical armor tweaks you all would have complained that it wasn't enough.

WOW Do you post anything positive anymore?
And I suppose that you assume that the majority of the USA UO players are UOStratic posters or that UO considers non UOStratic players not as important as UOStratic players. And I suppose you assume that everybody now reads a splash screen that until lately hasn't changed in years. When did UOStratics become the OFFICAL website for UO? Is there a notice on UO.COM stating this? Don't you just love how non UOStratics poster are treated here. If UOStratics posters are the majority of the UO playerbase (USA) we are hurting.

KLOMP

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Don't bother using logic on Goldberg. He was vehemently against this publish when he felt it was a warrior nerf. Apparently now he thinks he's getting buffed, so he'll act like anyone who doesn't understand that horrifying wall of garbage is stupid.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't bother using logic on Goldberg. He was vehemently against this publish when he felt it was a warrior nerf. Apparently now he thinks he's getting buffed, so he'll act like anyone who doesn't understand that horrifying wall of garbage is stupid.
Or...

I never asked for any type of armor revamp(like all the other tools on these boards)and was against the complete set of original warrior nerfs that came along with and supported the silly armor revamp that I did not ask for.
And now I am dealing with it because the vast majority of silly warrior nerfs have been correctly addressed.

You on the other hand KLOMP have done nothing but whine and call the dev team idiots since the first minute the original revamp was announced. I guess your actions have been "logical" though lol?

HP_Zoro_HP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Gotcha.

My bad as I thought the idea was to make the old ability to over cap now a tradeoff.
Kinda like keep your old suit and stay hldproof or build a new suit to take advantage of the new refinements/bonuses but lose some dci. Sounded like a decent idea to me as I have always thought it gimp to be able to easily make your suit hldproof.
I think it was on the first or second page Bleak said that if your current suit is 70 DCI then these changes wlil not affect your current suit. So you will still be "HLD Proof" if you do no tmake any changes to your current suit if it already has 70 DCI stacked. Make sense?

Its OPTIONAL for players to increase their DCI by working with these changes so they can have higher DCI AFTER hit with hit lower defense (I believe I read that correctly?) but not required, or optional so players can possibly increase their resists while lowerin gtheir DCI (but not required).

Last edited:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just a heads-up. If you want to check out the spiffy new health bar in the CC, make sure you use the "Run as Administrator" option when you start the "client_tc.exe" file. If you don't, you'll get all kinds of bizarre screen effects.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i like everything i've tested so far, just trying to understand the refinements stuff. Thanks for putting that together Tina, i haven't ahd time to test it myself yet.

If i had one major complaint, it would be that i think balanced 2-handed weapons should be treated as one handed weapons with parry and evasion.

I dou'bt i'll use any of the armor refinement stuff except maybe in some form of pvm. It is a very complicated system, and lower dci cap or max resists sounds horrifying. I personally, would like to see the whole refinement system washed away, and leave this publish to a updating of the armor and weapons as it is. If we want to stick with refinements, don't make so many different types and possibilities, it is a hair too much to understand.

also, thanks for the updated status bar stuff.

Last edited:

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Eh.

-Galen's player
samarai platemail made from val runics is horrendous in comparison to reforged armor. I don't see this as a problem. If people want to lose a property and intensity in imbueing mage armor, so be it. I've reforged a lot of plate myself, and when mage armor lands as a property, it hurts the other mods signicantly. So If people want that, i don't see a big issue.

That being said, the Mage Armor property hits A LOT in reforging. I hope they can remove it or something. Would hate to be trying to reforge plate and studded equipment, and keep landing the mage armor property when it is so undesired.

Last edited:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

No matter what number of resists are affected, each armor type will always modify resists in the same order as seen below, (this needs to be confirmed, it was a quick run through refining all the armor types):

I ran my test on studded leather gorgets again, finally, and got totally different results from last night. So, yes, it seems that the results are unpredictable. Which makes me really question why have 7 types of each refinement if the results will be so unpredictable.

With regard to studded armor, I had many examples of just one resist being affected and it was always Physical Resist. These examples were spread across ALL the various levels of armor refinement components, not just the "low-end" ones. There were no examples with two resists being affected. There were seven examples with three resists being affected and they were always Physical, Fire, and Cold. There were six examples with four resists being affected and they were always Physical, Fire, Cold, and Poison. And I had two examples from last night (none from today) where all five resists were decreased and had +10 max DCI. They came from using Washed thread of Protection and Hardening. I didn't get any samples where all five resists were decreased with a -10 max DCI. So I would agree with the order you listed above.

Studded samurai sequence for the resist modifications seems to be Physical first, then Fire, then Cold, then Energy, and then apparently Poison. (Out of 14 samples, one for each level and thread type, I had no samples where all five resists were affected.) The order I'm seeing seems to match what you have.

That's all I've had time to try so far. I'll post later if I get a chance to try refining other types of armor.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i like everything i've tested so far, just trying to understand the refinements stuff. Thanks for putting that together Tina, i haven't ahd time to test it myself yet.
Don't go by what I posted, Cetric. The results definitely seem to be random. Go instead by the chart Gheed posted that shows in which order he thinks the resists are affected by type of armor. You can refine a piece more than once to hopefully get the end result that you want and it's looking like there may be no need to try to stockpile just the "best" levels of the refinement components. You might get just what you want with the "lower-end" levels of the refinement components if you're blessed by the RNG. Just keep in mind you have to do the actual refining at the shop in town. And the Fel tailor shop to use is not the Ocllo tannery, it's the "Stitch in Time" shop in Occlo. (Which makes me think there's going to be more to refinement in the future....)

Last edited:

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Don't go by what I posted, Cetric. The results definitely seem to be random. Go instead by the chart Gheed posted that shows in which order he thinks the resists are affected by type of armor. You can refine a piece more than once to hopefully get the end result that you want and it's looking like there may be no need to try to stockpile just the "best" levels of the refinement components. You might get just what you want with the "lower-end" levels of the refinement components if you're blessed by the RNG. Just keep in mind you have to do the actual refining at the shop in town. And the Fel tailor shop to use is not the Ocllo tannery, it's the "Stitch in Time" shop in Occlo. (Which makes me think there's going to be more to refinement in the future....)
And this is why i haven't made time to test it lol, it just confuses me and seems like something i'm not going to use.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And this is why i haven't made time to test it lol, it just confuses me and seems like something i'm not going to use.
I'm just trying to test it from the crafting perspective. I'm not much of a fighter and rarely worry myself over DCI for the types of characters I normally play. But something makes me think this is going to be expanded in some way to meddable armor and I want to try to start understanding it now. I've also only been messing around with stuff made out of plain/normal materials (have to go mine some stone to test the garg stone armor). I still need to try it on items made with other types of materials to see if there's anything different about it.

Last edited:

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I only learned reforging because of this:

http://uo2.stratics.com/items/runic-re-forging

I don't think everything in UO should require extensive playing with and essays just to "learn it". power game it, maybe, but the learning curve on some of this new stuff...
...is insane. If it were not for people being willing to share and Stratics where would we be?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm coming up with another crazy theory here, this one with regard to the refinement components. Yesterday while Kyronix was fixing my crafter's weight issue on TC, I asked him about the stacking possibilities and he said there was a reason why the components don't stack, but did not elaborate any way and I didn't try to get him to say anything else about it.

Now that I've done just a tad bit more testing and have confirmed for myself that the results of applying various levels of things like the washed and cured threads seems to give random results, I'm wondering if each thread or each wash or cure is tagged with a factor that affects how the refinement "roll" turns out. For example, maybe the facet where you acquired the wash or cure affects the roll, or perhaps there's a difference in the roll depending on whether you got the wash or cure from a treasure chest versus a pirate ship. Or maybe there's just a number stored with each wash, cure, or thread that is uniquely/randomly generated that affects the final refinement "roll" and that number will be used instead of a number that would be supplied by the game's "usual" random number generator. Or maybe each wash, cure, thread, whatever will have its own unique ID to keep people from duplicating these items and trying to sell them on vendors.

Just some guesses on the non-stacking issue. We may not ever know and maybe they'll end up being stackable after all.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
IMO, they are going about this entirely the wrong way by adding unnecessary steps and complications to the game.

Lighter armor should be hit less, but take more damage. Heavier armor should be hit more but take less damage.

Take a baseline. Say ringmail is 0 mod across. Add cloth armor to humans/elves.

It would go something like cloth > leather > bone > studded leather > ring > scale > chain > plate

Below ring gets high cap to DCI but lower max resist. Above that gets lower DCI cap but higher resist.

If they insist on going the current route, then when you refine the armor, you should be able to pick what resist you are increasing/decreasing, especially if you are Legendary Smith/Tailor/GM Carpenter/GM Arms Lore, GM Alchemist, ect....

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
If you *really* want to change things as planned, then I DEMAND an NPC which does the maths for me!

The NPC will give me a menu or offer a conversation and thus I tell him what I want (like DCI, resists, LMC and so on). The NPC will explain every bit and piece if asked. Coherently and comprehensively! After I told him what I want, the NPC will tell me what he needs me to get: Runic hammers, sewing kits, imbuing resources, ingots, forged metal of artifacts etc.; I will hand them over. Oh and I will hand over artifacts that I want him to use! He will happily accept them as part of a suit! He probably forces me to craft a lot of "blanks". In an armour suit he might command me to craft like 25 samples of each armour part - 25 gloves, 25 leggings, 25 hats etc.; I will oblige.

How the NPC accepts items:

• Not necessarily all at once, maybe I will add items step by step over the course of a month or even a year. If at one point I decide I want my items back, he will give them back.
  • Each item (stack) given to the NPC will properly deduct the appropriate number of lockdowns in my house and / or in my bank, of course. No cheating there!
The NPC will also require me to take a character which has the appropriate skills - and at which level - Tailoring, Blacksmithy, Imbuing, Turntabling etc.; He will NOT (!) demand the new skills Statistics and Heuristics nor Astrobiology!

The last step is the conduction of suit / item building. Hell, if the NPC does it for me, he may happily surge all crafting skill points from my character so I have to train them again! I will have a huge smile on my face while training blacksmithing if I get that NPC! I'll buy him an extra set of Powerscrolls! Maybe my NPC won't do things himself, who knows. Maybe instead he will give me back the items in appropriate order and then command me to do crafting, re-forging or imbuing stuff. If he does so, he should probably follow me around - from an anvil to a soulforge etc.; Probably he prefers a private chat channel, I don't know. My NPC will repeat each single instruction if asked, of course. He won't get tired in the process. Never. All such NPCs will run a list of conducted armour suits. So if NuSair crafts a wonderful Sampire's suit and I want a copy of that suit, my NPC will help me because he knows all about NuSair's suit. Maybe that means I will have to pay like 100k gold to the NPC, 80% of which go straight to NuSair (or charity in Ter Mur).

You disagree? A silly idea? Well, maybe. But I bet it's better than the 'naked' Publish 81, isn't it! Bear with me. I actually would love to see the Devs show off their mad skills creating that NPC! No, this is post is in no way dev-bashing. I doubt I will see this come true, but then again I do mean every single proposal in this post of mine. And right now I don't care if anybody got the skills to create that NPC, just as I got the impression that the people behind Publish 81 don't care much if there are enough players left who are willing and able to understand all things 81. Yes, ma'am, I am still not keen about the overabundance of complexity! I've yet to see a viable way how you could give me or anyone a comprehensive yet understandable guide, getting me going with armour and weapon crafting on top of all that we already have with Publish 80, let alone Publish 81. Ok, this is really another criticism, but I think you asked for it. Now, we players will rejoice and cheer - thinking of our friends playing any other MMORPGs; They'd be in shock and awe for sure if we could hire an NPC to craft the weirdest armour suit in universe! Yes, I might be exaggerating. Just a little. If you've come so far reading all that, you might come to the conclusion that NuSair's proposal probably is way better than mine.

By the way, my proposals above would've been the way I would have created Raised Garden Beds, too. But... nevermind. Buying them at Origin Store is much more RP! :)

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Huh?

I do agree that most of your truly casual players probably wonlt be that effected by all this. While I admit I have complained as well. I do agree some of the complaining gets a bit out of hand. It was one thing when the stamina changes were literally gamebreaking. Ok freakouts were ok then. But now? While there are still a handful of things I find worthy of complaints none of it that I have seen is gamebreaking or something that people should be threatening to quit over.

I do disagree that very few armor types actually being useful wasn;t broken though.