• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Updated Publish 81 on TC1

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just ran around with someone on Test Center while we were trying to get a few hints about the armor refinement additions. Here are some of my initial thoughts about these:

• You need to have more types of NPCs stock the braid, alloy, and solvent. It's pretty ridiculous that the blacksmith guildmasters/mistresses and armourers and weaponsmiths don't sell the alloy. You have to buy it from just ordinary "blacksmiths." The quantity starts at 20 (which is apparently how much you need to make one armor refinement") and then you have to wait for the supply to replenish. I guess the good news is the price won't skyrocket, but people will be twiddling their thumbs and fuming while they wait for their favorite smiths to restock, if this idea takes off.
  • There are so many varieties of refinement components we'll get from looting stuff and of course it doesn't seem to stack!!! So, while we collect it for months and years, hoping to get the exact ones we need, it'll be filling up our houses and banks and taking over the place. I'm sure that certain combinations will become highly preferred over others and of course you guys will make them the rare drops. I guess we have to expect that. But couldn't you at least make the items that are identical STACK???
  • Can you provide some kind of explanation as to why you sometimes get a message telling you that you'd have better luck at a specific shop somewhere else? We were in Fel Minoc and the message I got was to go to the smith shop in Buc's Den. Are you guys crazy or something? Why would I go there? I did end up going to Trammel Buc's Den and tried making another armor refinement and got some message about how carefully and skillfully I made the item. But the amount of materials used seemed to be the same as what I used up in Minoc when I got the message that I'd have better luck if I went to Buc's Den. I'm probably overlooking something obvious because I'm tired, but if there's no difference in the quantity used and you only get one finished item out of the process, what's the point where you make it? And I just bought more materials and made one of the armor refinements at my house outside Luna and got the message about how carefully and skillfully I made the item. Same with making more at the smith shop in Fel Minoc and in Fel Jhelom...all locations were giving the "carefully and skillfully" message and I couldn't get the message about going somewhere else to come up. So an explanation would be helpful.

I haven't actually applied any of the refinements I've made so far to any actual armor. The person I was with did apply one to his sleeves. The resulting stats on the sleeve will take some getting used to.

And that's all I have to say at this point. Hopefully other people will be giving this a try and have some additional feedback.

RaistlinNowhere

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I want to ask 1 question to the devs, that i think almost all crafting community wants to know : Will be there some love for all ingots types?

If not, it will feel like a half revamp for metal armor, and make almost no reason for coloured ingots except for bod system.

Just want to know this, im not asking for a detailed answer ,only for a simple yes or no? Thx in advance

Last edited:

KLOMP

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Been playing with a calculator and even an imbuing cap of 600 on two-handers isn't that big a deal. My ideal sampy weapons only come out to 550.

Last edited:

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I need to see how this 600 imbuing cap will work for human artificiers.
I am not very keen of hitting the Queen's forge for my imbuing needs, and when I am near the 500 cap, my chance is usually at single digits already.

Also, any word on the HCI, DCI and luck cap on two handers? I know for sure that I can go to 25 HCI/DCI with archery weapons, but what about my beloved halberd?
Will it remain stuck at 15 HCI/DCI?

Maleachi

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oooof.... Some people are just hard headed I guess.

-Klomp explained perfectly fine why 2 handers will still only rarely be used, if at all.

-It has barely become more viable to change the look of your characters.

-More complex ways to change your armor.
*Stam loss change? Sounds good but it's not a really a reason to change your outfit.
*Armor inherent lower mana cost? Why? Just... Why? Like many people suggested, why not give each type of crafting material some kind of bonus, as has been done perfectly fine with Woodland armor. (You done it once, try repeating the same trick again!)
*Armor refinement? Complex, unnecessary and just more crap to collect.
*Overal armor changes... Too complex and generally not a way to make people wear different types of armor.

-Most of the misc changes are quite decent... But!
*Chivalry? Even more useless then it already was.
*Ninjitsu? Good that it CAN be interrupted, but how often WILL it be interrupted? 1v2, 1 mage spamming harm 1 dexer just running you down? Who will fight outnumbered again?
*Necro change towards Stone form? So... You reckon that actually being able to poison a player in Stone form and protection will actually change anything? *facepalm*
*Mysticism change? Cleansing winds is still overpowered and this doesn't change it a single bit. The only way to actually use this change is by casting curses over and over thus not doing any damage. 2 or more mystics will still be able to keep anyone/everyone alive.

My 2 cents... Hopefully I have it all wrong, but I fear for the worst.
I have been playing this game since 98, addepted to a lot of changes, but these changes are so wrong that I actually had to force myself to read it all and still I barely comprehend it.

And no, I ain't stupid! ;)

KLOMP

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Klomp explained perfectly fine why 2 handers will still only rarely be used, if at all.
Fun fact: The question posed by my little chart is incorrect. You're not giving up parrying and an imbue slot for one point of base damage. The actual average base damage is the minimum, plus the maximum, divided by two. So in reality you're expected to give up parrying and an imbue slot for half a point of base damage.

MedeaDF

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dear Dev Team, can you please highlight the updates from the updates in the future?

Its really getting very confusing (especially for us other-languages-speaking-people who need to translate this stuff for the X time... !), reading everything again and again and to notice where the changes were...

Thank you!

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just ran around with someone on Test Center while we were trying to get a few hints about the armor refinement additions. Here are some of my initial thoughts about these:

• You need to have more types of NPCs stock the braid, alloy, and solvent. It's pretty ridiculous that the blacksmith guildmasters/mistresses and armourers and weaponsmiths don't sell the alloy. You have to buy it from just ordinary "blacksmiths." The quantity starts at 20 (which is apparently how much you need to make one armor refinement") and then you have to wait for the supply to replenish. I guess the good news is the price won't skyrocket, but people will be twiddling their thumbs and fuming while they wait for their favorite smiths to restock, if this idea takes off.
  • There are so many varieties of refinement components we'll get from looting stuff and of course it doesn't seem to stack!!! So, while we collect it for months and years, hoping to get the exact ones we need, it'll be filling up our houses and banks and taking over the place. I'm sure that certain combinations will become highly preferred over others and of course you guys will make them the rare drops. I guess we have to expect that. But couldn't you at least make the items that are identical STACK???
  • Can you provide some kind of explanation as to why you sometimes get a message telling you that you'd have better luck at a specific shop somewhere else? We were in Fel Minoc and the message I got was to go to the smith shop in Buc's Den. Are you guys crazy or something? Why would I go there? I did end up going to Trammel Buc's Den and tried making another armor refinement and got some message about how carefully and skillfully I made the item. But the amount of materials used seemed to be the same as what I used up in Minoc when I got the message that I'd have better luck if I went to Buc's Den. I'm probably overlooking something obvious because I'm tired, but if there's no difference in the quantity used and you only get one finished item out of the process, what's the point where you make it? And I just bought more materials and made one of the armor refinements at my house outside Luna and got the message about how carefully and skillfully I made the item. Same with making more at the smith shop in Fel Minoc and in Fel Jhelom...all locations were giving the "carefully and skillfully" message and I couldn't get the message about going somewhere else to come up. So an explanation would be helpful.
Ditto on the NPC item stock and stacking issue. I suspect they are trying to make you use the items at a specific shop as sort of a nod to ye good ole days when crafters hung out at the smithy sellin repairs. Maybe just to spark more activities in towns... who knows.

I did try applying the enhancements to armor. All I can think is "ugh... more RNG". Using invuln enhancements only, there seems to be random rolls on the number of resists affected and the resist types that are affected (as the notes say). For example, in 5 invuln uses, 2 attempts raised 1 resist (+1) then lowered MAX DCI 2%. The other 3 attempts raised 4 resists (+1) and lowered max DCI 8%. I tried the invuln polish for raising the DCI cap and got a -1 to all 5 resists and +10% MAX DCI.

I'm not particularly in love with this system as is. I'm no fan of RNG. I tolerate it to make base items. Roll the arms lore bonus then powder, imbue, enhance (with the tool). You can re-refine as many times as you like... Which seems a bit odd to me but it does take the stink off of ruining base items with the perfect resists.

There are some intersting things you can do (in theory) to spike a single resist as long as you are willing to keep rolling those dice. You could use 5 lower end enhancments to target a single resist resulting in a 5% resist increase while losing 10% MAX DCI then use a high end enhancement on the 6th piece lowering all resists but the one you wish to spike. If you were targeting a physical resist spike for example, this would yield a 75/69/69/69/69 resist template while only losing 2% MAX DCI. Kind of neat for spiking resists against a single melee damage type non HLD mob. You really wouldn't lose alot in other resists if it were casting as well.

Or I could go the max resist route against medium or low damage casting mobs and forget about DCI entirely (won't matter with a balanced 2-hander anyway). It would free up the need and intesity pool for DCI on items for other stuff like HP inc/leech or regens to help negate.

Oh you do get the "You can only refine non-medable armor" message when attempting to refine anything with the mage armor tag. This includes exceptionally crafted Samurai plate. May need a tweak there.

I am concerned that so much effort has been placed in implementing this, that there will be either a mass rework of mob AI adding enough HLD and extra damage against a now possible 75/75/75/75/80 (Maybe higher IDK about stone formed elves) to make it mandatory or at the very least new mobs added in the future will spam heavy HLD damage, making WAR templates more of a headache.

Uh oh,
OK now I have another question. Someone just stopped by and dropped 1k mallebale ingots at my feet (thank you nice person). This system doesnt appear to use RNG deciding which resists to nuke at all. Only the number of resists that are affected. In 50 attempts, everyone of them selected the resists to modify pretty much from the top down in this order: physical/ fire/cold/energy/poison. That is a little strange. If I only want to alter physical resist I need only roll a single resist modifier on the attempt. If I only want to alter poison resist well thats too bad. I HAVE to take a 1% hit in all other resists? If so a lot of the things I said before are untrue. This system would be so much better if we had more control over which resists were affected by refining.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ahem, back to form. Right now, as is, Balanced melee weapons are garbage and were a waste of keystrokes to code. Even without the parrying penalty they would have little to offer over one-handers, and with it they're hopeless.

Can I chug a potion with a wepon & shield in hand? Not untill you pick to drop shield for parry or weapon for damage for a chug.

Can I parry Yes when I hold a shield with enough dex. And Yes if I only use two handed weapons and have a certain Sammy skill. And disarm. For a Non sammy player without parry also, the two handed weapon now has a better use over a one and a shield. Comes down to specials speed and damage choice.

There are those of us that have stealth fighters that are not archers. Stealth ability on weapons needs to remian spread over all types and handed use. Some of us like to shadow strike and slink off leaving our enemy fuming on chat. For some it is not about win or lose. Just having fun is enough.

Last edited:

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah while I am THRILLED they raised the imbue cap of twohanded melee weapons and allowed balanced to be imbued making it so that they can;t parry or evade is still a bad change. I do think that twohanded melee weapons are definately in a MUCH better place then they were before though so that is good. But its still not there and I think getting rid of the silly parry penalty would go a long way towards that goal. The devs have to remember we are still having to give up alot of nice mods giving up a shield. Not to mention on a onehanded weapon I donlt have to waste an imbuing slot on balanced. In ranged weapons I feel this is ok giving up an imbue slot for balanced since it has the big advantage of well being ranged! But we donlt have this with melee weapons. A 6th property on twohanded melee weapons only might be nice or consider bumping the damage more. I know the damage was already bumped but I dontl think it is enough to really make that much of a difference. I do understand though you have to be careful not to make it so that twohanded weapons become too powerful. I do think you are going in the right direction for the most part with these weapons. Just get rid of the parry penalty and consider either raising base damages a bit more or allowing a 6th property.

Yalp of Zento

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Oh no, your over powered skilless to play pvp character has been nurfed, whatever will you do?

pick up a Mage book?

Considering the Gargy thrower template was NEVER a pvp powerhouse (ex.. Missing EVERY first time throw, NEVER being able to PARRY even tho you have to carry 120 parry skills in order to hold a shield, have all of 2 useable weapons, NEVER being able to poison the weps, having a GRAND total of 5 special moves *mortal/ai and moving shot/para/dismount*, having very SLOW useable weapons 3 & 4 seconds, having to deal with wings catching on terrain, range of weapons being shorter distance than mage casting distance, having to be in the sweet spot or risk having damage reduced, missing one entire armor slot, etc. ).

Since I have played a gargy thrower for pvp since SA's launch, I can tell you with complete expertise, that gargy throwers were support not main damagers. And UO has just eliminated them as a viable play style despite repeated feedback to the developers. For more specific examples...

1) since gargy's only have 4 pieces of armor the bonus to stamina loss which comes from having 5 pieces of armor is not available to them
2) 1 of the 4 special moves has now been nerfed .. mortal strike.. with the apple macro that most hackers run, it's a waste of mana
3) Losing the HCI racial bonus is a huge loss....gargy's only have 5 and now it's 4 and 2 of them are worthless.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just went and tallied up the number of unique armor refinement components you can get as loot:

Tailoring: 56 (14 each for studded samurai armor, hide armor, studded leather armor, and bone armor).
Smithing: 84 (14 each for gargish platemail armor, platemail, samurai platemail, dragon armor, ringmail, and chainmail).
Carpentry: 28 (14 each for woodland armor and gargish stone armor).

So a total of 168 lootable items you might want to collect, depending on the breadth of crafting you might expect to do. Now multiply that by 2 because once you use those components with the items you purchase from NPCs, you get the actual plating, threads or resin to apply to your armor piece. I don't know yet if those will stack with each other, but I truly doubt it. So we've just had 168 lootable items, 168 crafted items, and 3 more purchasable items (339 items total) added to the game and probably just the 3 items you buy from the NPCs stack with each other.

Oh, and if you do go to Test Center, be prepared for ridiculously bad lag. Logging out and then back in again helps slightly, but doesn't seem to cure it. You will barely be able to move and will lock up for minutes at a time. Bad. Really bad. It was that bad 4 hours ago (at 2:30 in the morning) and it's still bad (at almost 7 am). Needs to be fixed if you guys want people to test this stuff, especially the experience of getting the armor refinement as loot and the experience of going toe-to-toe with monsters after all the changes. And yes, I did the mega patch last night before even going there. If you can provide the IP for that shard, Bleak, I'll be happy to run Trace UO later and post the results.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Just went and tallied up the number of unique armor refinement components you can get as loot:

Tailoring: 56 (14 each for studded samurai armor, hide armor, studded leather armor, and bone armor).
Smithing: 84 (14 each for gargish platemail armor, platemail, samurai platemail, dragon armor, ringmail, and chainmail).
Carpentry: 28 (14 each for woodland armor and gargish stone armor).

So a total of 168 lootable items you might want to collect, depending on the breadth of crafting you might expect to do. Now multiply that by 2 because once you use those components with the items you purchase from NPCs, you get the actual plating, threads or resin to apply to your armor piece. I don't know yet if those will stack with each other, but I truly doubt it. So we've just had 168 lootable items, 168 crafted items, and 3 more purchasable items (339 items total) added to the game and probably just the 3 items you buy from the NPCs stack with each other.

Oh, and if you do go to Test Center, be prepared for ridiculously bad lag. Logging out and then back in again helps slightly, but doesn't seem to cure it. You will barely be able to move and will lock up for minutes at a time. Bad. Really bad. It was that bad 4 hours ago (at 2:30 in the morning) and it's still bad (at almost 7 am). Needs to be fixed if you guys want people to test this stuff, especially the experience of getting the armor refinement as loot and the experience of going toe-to-toe with monsters after all the changes. And yes, I did the mega patch last night before even going there. If you can provide the IP for that shard, Bleak, I'll be happy to run Trace UO later and post the results.
This is unacceptable in my opinion. My homes are already bursting at the seams now you want me to add another 300+ items to them that DON'T stack making me have another what 1200 items to do anything useful with????? WHY????

Just where do you think we are going to put all this crap????

When all is said and done all I REALLY wanted or needed was a balance between 2 handed weapons and one handed weapon with shield.... a balance or nerf to the fact that Gargoyle wraith form throwers are almost always guaranteed a drop at EM events over everyone else.... which is NOT fair.... You need to relook at the coding for the drops and fix whatever is borked with it giving them the advantage not totally rebork everything.... And FINALLY what I wanted more than anything at all was that you FIX the base values of armor so that whatever I chose to wear starts out BALANCED...... Not add 50 more things to calculate into my armor..... Look at THE BASE RESISTS of armor and make them more BALANCED.

And last but not least!!!...... Leave your tweaks to PvP out of my PvM!!!!!!!

All these added calculations is giving me a headache...... Anyone want to play Arcane Legends with me??? I don't think I feel like redoing the armor and weapons and all for my 56+ characters again....

Last edited:

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The two handed melee “Balanced” property has been added to imbuing. Weapons with this property will be unable to parry or evade.

This effect needs to be triggerd WHEN a pot is used, if not why put it onany two handed weapon as it will make it USELSS.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The blacksmith scouring and polish resists and dci gain/loss are no where near proportionate.

I would gain 10 dci for a loss of 5 resists but I would not lose 10 dci to gain 5 resists.

I thought you actually lost resists, but it only affects the cap.

Last edited:

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The two handed melee “Balanced” property has been added to imbuing. Weapons with this property will be unable to parry or evade.

This effect needs to be triggerd WHEN a pot is used, if not why put it onany two handed weapon as it will make it USELSS.
Just a rough guess but i assume they had to tie it into the archery code. If they allowed parry then people with bows could parry.

Considering the Gargy thrower template was NEVER a pvp powerhouse

Since I have played a gargy thrower for pvp since SA's launch, I can tell you with complete expertise, that gargy throwers were support not main damagers. And UO has just eliminated them as a viable play style despite repeated feedback to the developers.
Sorry but i laughed at the "never a pvp powerhouse" part. Anyone that's pvped in the past few years knows the damage they can do. A properly set up thrower, like a certain poster in this very thread has, can absolutely rick roll people outnumbered.

My condolences over the loss of your template. Coming from someone who's lost many a great templates only in their prime, i can tell you it gets a little easier with each passing.

Back on topic i couldn't find the post again where someone asked why imbue weights were upped on bows. The devs stated they were bringing archery up on the same level as throwing. Balanced took additional weight compared to one handed throwing weps. It made sense to not only up the damage but equal it out so they were almost truely even.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ahem, back to form. Right now, as is, Balanced melee weapons are garbage and were a waste of keystrokes to code. Even without the parrying penalty they would have little to offer over one-handers, and with it they're hopeless.

Why in the world would you use a short spear for comparison?

In the 15 years I have been playing UO and pvping I have never seen anyone use a Short Spear regularly. They are completely useless in pvp and always have been.
Every weapon cannot be perfect or viable on all templates. That has always been and will not change no matter what is revamped.
I think the general idea is to try and make more 2 handed weapons in general more viable. Not every single one as that would be impossible.

No offense but your complete lack of pvp knowledge/mechanics makes you unable to compare any type of weapon for any scenario imo.
If you have not extensively used 1 and 2 handed melee weapons for pvp and pvm how can you possibly believe that you know what you are talking about?
Homemade comparison charts have absolutely no relevance. You didn't even take into account ssi and the specs on each weapon which are the most important factors.
I honestly think you just compared those 2 because they were same weapon class and same base speed lol.
That's like trying to compare a Maserati to a Ford Mustang. They are both the exact same because they are both fast?

Bottom line is that when all the dust settles on this revamp I am pretty sure that at the very least hatchets, executioners axes, quarter staffs and long spears are going to be very, very nasty again in pvp based upon nothing other then their amazing specs and the ability to chug while wearing them.

And what difference does the loss of your precious parry make when fighting a mage?

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry Devs don't think is going to fly, so if you use 5 pieces of invuln you get the chance of 95 cap. So apparently you can still run around with 65 resists and 95 dci.

Pretty sure this is going to fry the RNG and turn people wearing 95 dci invincible, this doesn't even speak for pvm...

Shakkara

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have some issues with the changes

Refinement
* When using a refinement on an already refined piece, the previous mods are overwritten, instead of things being added to it? Intentional? Would make some sense, else I'd max up one resist and run all other resists in the ground and still get extra defence chance, then fight enemies that only deal 1 damage type.
* The resistances are always affected from the top to bottom resistance
* There seems to be no difference between defense and invulnerability components, I had invulnerable components that affected 1 or 2 resistances and defense components that affected 3 resistances
* Components are not stackable :gun:
* No way to remove refinement effects from an item (you'd think that applying an opposing component on a refined piece would first cancel it out, but now it completely overwrites and gives you all the stats of the new component type)
* The requirement to buy secondary resources from NPCs to turn your refinement resources into useful components seems bad design, because...
1) Good effects: NONE (for example, as effective gold sink or as fun game mechanic for players to engage in)
2) Bad effects: Hassle to players due to the limited amount of NPCs it is available on and the limited quantities they stock, more than doubles the amount of refinement related items that must be stored
3) You can remove this mechanic completely and it changes nothing fundamental about refining. Maybe consider doing that, to make the system leaner.
* As soon as resists are affected randomly instead of from the top, in PVE the best strategy would be to make a suit with ONLY +1 max resist of ONE resistance type (for example Energy Resist). Alternatively, sacrifice ALL resistances except one (example: energy resist) for your 90DCI and then go fight melee monsters that only deal this one damage type (for example, unbound energy vortices).
* I'm worried that the system can lead to unbalanced situations when people start min-maxing DCI or specific resistances (I'd definately sacrifice cold resist for DCI for example). I'd have to test it some more, but gut feeling has all kinds of alarm bells going off.
* Hit lower defense formulae are a headache. After re-reading it 5 times I understand now how it works, but I think most people will never understand it OR will misinterpret it.

Overall opinion: Overcomplicated system that adds no 'net value' to gameplay and seems to be highly abusable in some cases. I'd rather see it done away with, since it is another unasked for feature that doesn't fix the fundamental problems of the game at all.

Item Properties
* Mage armor STILL being treated as a PENALTY instead of a BONUS. It is taking up property slots and weight, thus it must GIVE something extra, not come with all kinds of disadvantages that destroy the advantage it gives. It MUST MUST MUST give lower mana cost and stamina protection as normal! Why else would I want the mage armor property, if I can just wear leather on which this free property doesnt consume imbuing slots/intensities. Yes mages will start running around in Mage Armor studded/plate, but that's what they're paying the extra property slot / intensities for (you can get 8 LMC in a regular slot and even more with the new loot system)! If you really don't like it then the inherent LMC bonus should only count for special moves, chiv, bushido and ninjitsu but that's additional complexity that we generally don't want.
* Balanced property being treated as a PENALTY instead of a BONUS by cancelling out the ability to parry. See above. A property, that costs slots/intensities, should NEVER come with penalties that nullifies the advantages
* Item inherent Lower Mana Cost is not listed on the item. Might be handy for new players.
* Off-topic: Useless properties such as Lower requirements property can be deleted or phased out to clean up the system

Armor Types and Materials
* It doesn't seem like an armor revamp while all of the following materials are still useless: DRAGON SCALES, dull copper, copper, bronze, shadow iron, gold, agapite, horned leather.

As proposed solution I'd like to identify what we want with each armor type first:

Leather/Cloth Armor - Medable
Studded/Bone/Hide - Will now give +3% lower mana cost, somewhat reduces stamina loss, has 1 additional base resist (should be fixed for hide or removed from the bone and studded), but blocks meditation
'Blacksmith' Armor - Gives the highest stamina protection, gives 1% lower mana cost, but is heavy (thus reduces max carry capacity), blocks meditation and is relatively difficult to craft
Samurai Armor - In addition to the stuff above, it gets Mage Armor property when crafted exceptional (this still takes up imbue slot, thus should NOT be a penalty, see Item Properties)
Dragon Armor - In addition to counting as blacksmith armor, it should give a resist bonus to one specific resistance cap and a resist penalty to all other resistances when all 5 matching pieces are worn. For all I care, Gold scale can count as any type (so wearing 3 black dragon armor pieces and 2 gold counts as a full set of black armor). I propose +5 to one resist cap and -5 to all others (not that they'll likely be anywhere close to this cap due to material properties, although with some jewels/spells/gorget/arms lore it is possible)
Woodland Armor: Gets nice properties from Wood, should still get +1 lower mana cost per piece, cannot med
Gargoyle Armor: Total resists reduced to 25 (it was slightly too much, but they will get a +2/+3 boost from resources, see below)

Now that that is done, time to fix the resistances of all materials:
Dull Copper: 14 physical resist, +50 dur
Shadow Iron: 4 physical, 3 fire, 8 energy
Copper: 2 physical, 2 fire, 7 poison, 4 energy
Bronze: 5 physical, 6 cold, 2 poison, 2 energy
Gold: 2 physical, 2 fire, 3 poison, 3 energy, +40 luck
Agapite: 3 physical, 3 fire, 3 cold, 3 poison, 3 energy
Verite: 3 physical, 5 fire, 2 cold, 2 poison, 3 energy
Valorite: 5 physical, 3 cold, 3 poison, 5 energy, +50 dur

Spined: 10 physical resist, 40 luck
Horned: 4 physical, 4 fire, 2 cold, 2 poison, 3 energy
Barbed: 2 physical, 1 fire, 3 cold, 4 poison, 5 energy

Black Scales: 12 physical, 2 fire, 2 cold, 2 poison, -3 energy
Red Scales: 2 physical, 12 fire, -3 cold, 2 poison, 2 energy
White Scales: -3 physical, 2 fire, 2 cold, 2 poison, 12 energy
Green Scales: 2 physical, -3 fire, 2 cold, 12 poison, 2 energy
Blue Scales: 2 physical, 12 fire, 2 cold, -3 poison, 12 energy
Yellow Scales: +2 all, +40 luck

(or any other distribution to make all resists equal)

Last edited:

DerekL

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is unacceptable in my opinion. My homes are already bursting at the seams now
Just to be clear - your homes (by your own admission) aren't bursting at the seams because of crafting. They're bursting at the seams because you have every variant of every holiday gift, etc... etc... It's *not* the dev teams fault that you choose to do so.

flappy6

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
and can you make stealing one handed or maybe even greater ,able to steal with balanced weapon in hand

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here is a little more feedback about the armor refinement components: If you decide to go the route of stealing these from town shop crates, my limited testing seems to show that you MIGHT have better luck finding them as stealables in Felucca towns. That being said, of the components I did find, it seemed like a lot of them were for enhancing hide armor. I didn't check every possible shop, but some of the shops I checked were provisioner shops, carpenter shops, tailor shops, and armor shops. I lfound components in barrels, the gold boxes on counters, and crates. When I found them in trade NPC shops, the components didn't necessarily match up with the skill practiced in the shop, e.g., I found polish of defense for platemail samurai armor in the Fel Skara Brae tailor shop.

studded leather cure of defense in provisioner shop.jpg plate polish of defense in tailor shop.jpg hide cure of defense in carp shop.jpg hide cure of fortification in weapon shop.jpg

If you're going to go the route of stealing these components, the remove trap skill sure speeds up the process of disarming these triple-trapped chests.

It's also important to note that these lootable/stealable components are NOT insurable.
cannot insure polish.jpg

I wish there were going to be additional ways to find these components, because the options provided seem a bit limited. However, I'm at a loss as to what to suggest as other alternatives that would encompass a wider swath of players and playstyles. I'm not sure why the dev team selected these particular alternatives instead of others, e.g., as random rewards for low-level BODs, random/rare loot on monsters, as a reward from some new types of quests, etc.

Also, you may want to check your Trammel bank runes to make sure they won't be blocked by the new city election stones or characters using them. Here are screen shots showing where they're located in Britain, Jhelom, Magincia, Minoc, Moonglow, Skara Brae, Trinsic, Vesper, and Yew:

Britain City Election Stone.jpg Jhelom City Election Stone.jpg Magincia City Election Stone.jpg Minoc City Election Stone.jpg Moonglow City Election Stone.jpg skara brae city election stone.jpg Trinsic City Election Stone.jpg Vesper City Election Stone.jpg Yew City Election Stone.jpg

P.S. to Bleak: The lag on Test Center seems to have diminished frome earlier, at least in the locations where I was the last time I logged in. Not sure why, but if you did something, thanks!

Last edited:

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So after so many of us stated that the suggested changes were already beyond the normal understanding threshold of those who don't spend hours every day Min/Maxing their suits, the response is to add even more complexity on top, now with scouring/rinsing something or other? Do you Devs seriously really not understand that outside of a few obsessed PvPers, Ultima Online never was about stat-capping and math-watching, and introducing it in Age of Shadows was what destroyed the community back then? Borderlands and Diablo may show there's a market for playing Top Trumps with gear, but Ultima isn't in the same market, and the remaining player base as a whole only does this once or twice to enable them to get back to running the content they actually do enjoy... roleplay, market trading, guild hunts etc. Or in my case, I only sit down with pen and paper when I try and help a newbie with basic gear. Anything above basic is already agonizingly complex, and I hate doing it even for myself... And it takes me over an hour sometimes per newbie just to explain what I'm even trying to do for them. Have you seen how their interest fades as they have to sit there whilst I count up resists just to make a free all 70s, LRC suit and they have to resort to looking at my deco whilst I add up tables of figures?

So please, please, please reconsider before making what is likely to be a colossal mis-step on the scale of Age Of Shadows again. You may love the design, but it absolutely kills the flow of Sandbox type games.

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Could someone in the devs office grab a stack of post it notes or a label maker and post a note on every monitor to "Make items stackable!!!"

Thanks

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Why does everything have to be so Frelling complicated?

What I really want is to UNCOMPLICATE things.

I'm all for Balance.... but when it comes to armor all I want is for the Base Resists to be EVEN across the board... Whether I decide to work with Leather, Hide, Leaf, Wood, Metal, Scales or what have you. Leather is the best because it starts with decent base values of resist without adding stupid things that COST me imbuing slots.

What I'd really like is for the DEVs to add things to Metal that puts metal on par with wood in enhancing... Same with Tailoring ...... Wood FAR outweighs either when it comes to enhancing. But no matter what I start with I ought to be able to have the same base stats. THIS is what we have been asking for. How much more plainly need we say it???

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Has anyone had the opportunity to see how the armor refinements vary? like, if you increase your dci cap, how much your resist cap goes down, and vice versa?

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I find it interesting that no one is complaining that Gargoyles can only wear 4/5 pieces of any "Armor Type", due to only Earrings/Necklace slots not being occupied by any forms of non-med armor types.

Special Ingot types: need to get something better bonuses from enhancing/crafting.
Woodland armor: as some suggest, since it's not medable should be treated as Metal armor, and receive +1% lmc bonus per piece.

Chivalry>Divine Fury: as I've said before, needs to stop getting nerfed on Already useless-spells, If anything Divine Fury needs Buffs.
Mysticism>Cleanse Winds: why do people complain about this being so overpowered? If you can't kill someone because they are casting this, it's because you're not interrupting them. in which case it's because you Allow them to cast it... (Interrupt them....) if you can't interrupt them, it's because of Casting Focus (12%-cap/maybe 17% w/scribe?) or Protection... Protection is the problem, always has been.

*Taken from the initial pub 81 thread*

"Mage Armor" negates that armor piece's mana phase and ssi penalty ability.
Does the Stamina protection still apply for armor types that have the "Mage Armor" property?

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Also we would like to know if HLD will be completly useless in PvM because monsters has 0 base DCI, please make it worth in some ways to have HLD on weapons or lenses...

Drowy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Has anyone had the opportunity to see how the armor refinements vary? like, if you increase your dci cap, how much your resist cap goes down, and vice versa?
+1 random point in resist = - 2 DCI
+2 DCI = - 1 random point in resist

Bleak

UO Software Engineer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I find it interesting that no one is complaining that Gargoyles can only wear 4/5 pieces of any "Armor Type", due to only Earrings/Necklace slots not being occupied by any forms of non-med armor types.

Special Ingot types: need to get something better bonuses from enhancing/crafting.
Woodland armor: as some suggest, since it's not medable should be treated as Metal armor, and receive +1% lmc bonus per piece.

Chivalry>Divine Fury: as I've said before, needs to stop getting nerfed on Already useless-spells, If anything Divine Fury needs Buffs.
Mysticism>Cleanse Winds: why do people complain about this being so overpowered? If you can't kill someone because they are casting this, it's because you're not interrupting them. in which case it's because you Allow them to cast it... (Interrupt them....) if you can't interrupt them, it's because of Casting Focus (12%-cap/maybe 17% w/scribe?) or Protection... Protection is the problem, always has been.

*Taken from the initial pub 81 thread*

Does the Stamina protection still apply for armor types that have the "Mage Armor" property?
"Mage Armor" does not benefit from bonus stamina protection.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is a trade off 1 point resist cap per 2% MAX DCI. You can modify 1 resist in each damage protection category on each piece. So each piece can add up to 5 resists while losing 10% MAX DCI or vice versa. Wow this is rough to explain. No wonder the devs wont do it.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As far as I can see it isnt a random resist. It always starts at physical and works its way down the list in the same order.

Bleak

UO Software Engineer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry this information was missing from the notes. Each armor type has an order in which resist are added and removed.

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It is a trade off 1 point resist cap per 2% MAX DCI. You can modify 1 resist in each damage protection category on each piece. So each piece can add up to 5 resists while losing 10% MAX DCI or vice versa. Wow this is rough to explain. No wonder the devs wont do it.
If I got it right, we can boost all 5 resistances to a cap of 75 (humans) for lowering max dci by 50% or vice versa?

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry this information was missing from the notes. Each armor type has an order in which resist are added and removed.
EH? Having a bit of trouble understanding your logic here. So if I wanted to spike physical only (1 resist on each piece), I would use plate... and something other type of armor for a different resist? Thats kind of clever really.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I continue to maintain that the DCI thing is too complicated (add more, get less effect!!!), and will either be too-overpowering (PvM god mode!) or unused (because the increased DCI cap will also lead to HLD paradoxically being more effective against you).

I don't really like the increased resist caps either but I've come to accept that that's inevitable; folks really seem to like it. Just like they liked feint remaining on the Leafblade, despite the fact it's a Samurai move on an elf weapon. *sighs*

Oh well.

:)

Moving in a better direction to be sure.

-Galen's player

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Mage Armor" does not benefit from bonus stamina protection.
I agree having the higher LMC cap and Mage Armor would be over powered. However I don't see the logic in your above statement. If you are willing to waste the property weight by putting mage armor on a piece why should it affect the stamina protection? What about artifacts that have mage armor on them like Fey Leggings and Gladiator's Collar? Are we going to get a way to remove that property?

Lets think about this for a minute. If an item like that has mage armor it is COMPLETELY negated by one piece of non medable item. So if you are really set on not allowing mage armor pieces to get the stamina protection then it should only lose stamina protection if every piece on our suit is medable.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I think I can make this work. I see myself testing a studded leather suit with 55 LMC and using a nice 2H weapon with some of my PvM warriors. I still would like to remove the changes to HSL and let it to continue to work as it does today.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
and UO gets even more confusing.....just bring back the olde school labelling...was far easier....jesus

can new players really take all this in......getting farcical.....even for a vet
Amen. Lets hope someone puts out a D&D like game with adventuring and skills and houses and easy to understand weapons/armor. I'd be there in 2 seconds.

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree having the higher LMC cap and Mage Armor would be over powered. However I don't see the logic in your above statement. If you are willing to waste the property weight by putting mage armor on a piece why should it affect the stamina protection? What about artifacts that have mage armor on them like Fey Leggings and Gladiator's Collar? Are we going to get a way to remove that property?

Lets think about this for a minute. If an item like that has mage armor it is COMPLETELY negated by one piece of non medable item. So if you are really set on not allowing mage armor pieces to get the stamina protection then it should only lose stamina protection if every piece on our suit is medable.
Agreed! instead of mage armor being a bonus it would be seen as an undesirable stat to have on your gear.

Last edited:

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I continue to maintain that the DCI thing is too complicated (add more, get less effect!!!), and will either be too-overpowering (PvM god mode!) or unused (because the increased DCI cap will also lead to HLD paradoxically being more effective against you).

I don't really like the increased resist caps either but I've come to accept that that's inevitable; folks really seem to like it. Just like they liked feint remaining on the Leafblade, despite the fact it's a Samurai move on an elf weapon. *sighs*

Oh well.

:)

Moving in a better direction to be sure.

-Galen's player
Yeah its moving in a better direction for sure and yeah I am one of those who likes the increased resists caps lol! But I donlt get the HLD/DCI changes. Its just too weird and overly complicated. I would rather them just make it so that people can;t over cap HLD and come up with somethign else for the other refinement lol.

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why does everything have to be so Frelling complicated?

What I really want is to UNCOMPLICATE things.

I'm all for Balance.... but when it comes to armor all I want is for the Base Resists to be EVEN across the board... Whether I decide to work with Leather, Hide, Leaf, Wood, Metal, Scales or what have you. Leather is the best because it starts with decent base values of resist without adding stupid things that COST me imbuing slots.

What I'd really like is for the DEVs to add things to Metal that puts metal on par with wood in enhancing... Same with Tailoring ...... Wood FAR outweighs either when it comes to enhancing. But no matter what I start with I ought to be able to have the same base stats. THIS is what we have been asking for. How much more plainly need we say it???
Yeah not sure why resists haven;t been looked at. That should have been the first thing done. I mean these patch notes have gotten better over time I feel like they are starting to head in the right direction now. But it is kinda frustrating they are still missing the most simple and obvious of things like the resist issue.