• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Publish and Patch today (Read post #292 before posting))

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is just a poorly thought out change and I question the logic behind it - though we actually don't know the logic behind it, so it's just conjecture at this point. If this to fix an exploit with getting too many shard shields... how about we fix the actual bug instead of putting in this band aid approach. Now, it wouldn't surprise me if this change is actually meant to have an impact on gold sellers but it seem to hamfisted for that.

SoulWeaver

King of The Bearded Ladies
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just to clarify, Characters that use the shard shields will now only be allowed shard shield transfer once every 2 weeks. Normal character transfers are not affected.
Right so how does this effect anything? People are normally using a new character to transfer items to set server, to either drop off set items and or pick up more items... So all they have to do is make a new character, transfers the goods over, and he'll be able to transfer? Is that my understanding?

So Ideally this would only effect bringing a skilled character over to a shard... and you want to bring them to another shard saying for PvPing, Events, etc... So they can only transfer that set character every 2 weeks?

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like Obeee's explanation of what this means.

Bleak is this right what Obeee said? I truly hope so.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just to clarify, Characters that use the shard shields will now only be allowed shard shield transfer once every 2 weeks. Normal character transfers are not affected.
So the $19.95 a pop transfers will be unrestricted. Shocking.

If there is an exploit with shield-initiated transfers, fix it and punish the abusers. Punishing everyone just makes Broadsword look bad.

If this was done to boost Origin sales, then that's just a shameless cash grab...and I am at a loss for printable words as to how poorly I view that.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
oh goodness........
Bleak I suguest you call Bonnie and think this through.... you dont want to hear the linch mobs I just did... woah they mad as wet hens.

I been feeding fish and the chat on chards is not good..... as the news hits.
Saying they mad is a HUGE understantment.

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Right so how does this effect anything? People are normally using a new character to transfer items to set server, to either drop off set items and or pick up more items... So all they have to do is make a new character, transfers the goods over, and he'll be able to transfer? Is that my understanding?
Actually, I use the same character. I will take a character and go to Atlantic > Catskills > GL > Chessie > Pacific and then back to Atlantic. I used a trained character as new chars can't carry much, aren't trained in recall, etc. If it is based on characters, I'll still be affected even if I can transfer on different chars more frequently than once every 2 weeks.

SoulWeaver

King of The Bearded Ladies
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, I use the same character. I will take a character and go to Atlantic > Catskills > GL > Chessie > Pacific and then back to Atlantic. I used a trained character as new chars can't carry much, aren't trained in recall, etc. If it is based on characters, I'll still be affected even if I can transfer on different chars more frequently than once every 2 weeks.
Right that's what I want him to clarify specifically because it will effect people like you, that transfer real skilled characters around.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah this isnt even an option for most of us. Non negotiable.

I cant even think of a reasonable compromise or fix to this other than holding off on that patch until you think it through a bit more.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Doesn't sound very good. :(

*gets kegs of prune juice ready... ducks*

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do exactly what Assia does...
I make trips that count on my shard shields for my basic use on shards. I ship for sale using the bought tokens for atlantic vendors. My shields have been used to help friends move stuff on shards they no longer play to their new homes.... this is not helping.
I heard on one chat channel the anger that this is gunna make without warning so many of us have travelers out in the field still and not ready to go home!

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Before making announcements that are game-changing for a significant portion of your population... you should have done a self Q&A to have the answers to these questions ready. They should have been provided with the announcement, but if nothing else, there should have been some pre-approved statements to help provide answers and clarification. People having to wait for all the answers are only going to make them angrier.

Lord X

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, I am waiting till clarification is given. Then I will wait an additional week or so after to be sure they are still going thru with it, if its bad. Knee-jerk reactions are sometimes not all that great.

T

Tazar

I may be a bad one to speak on this - I own shard shields - but use at most one every 120 days. I am not sure that in the long run it will have that much of an effect other than seeing players pool their resources and ride-share more on runs between shards. Wouldn't that work for most?

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I may be a bad one to speak on this - I own shard shields - but use at most one every 120 days. I am not sure that in the long run it will have that much of an effect other than seeing players pool their resources and ride-share more on runs between shards. Wouldn't that work for most?
Or, if you have your tokens stockpiled, as I said earlier, you just use a new newbie character for each transfer.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do the same thing as you. Recently went to a new shard for me, a deadish one with nice people and clean chat. I did not chose a shield for it. I bought store tokens two times. I did not mind buying them. I will not do that again unless Obeee is right.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I am going to write this in a very visible if not obnoxious way.

You are all entitled to your opinion. I will be forgiving except for personal attacks. If ya get booted from this thread... check yer attitude.

4gregu

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is just so disheartening, I have waited so long to get shields. I finally do and they make these changes. No prep, no real description of what and why. No discussion before implementation.

I was so upbeat about the move to broadsword. "things will be different now" I thought... they are different alright.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*Wanders how many accounts are being deactivated atm*
I think its pretty overrated. Once every two weeks is still way better than having to wait 10+ years for one shield at all. For everyone in need of transfering bi-daily or something, there are those $20 items in the store like they are for everyone w/o a shield.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm hoping you reconsider otherwise why do I have all the shard shields? What is the point if I can't use them?

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was so upbeat about the move to broadsword. "things will be different now" I thought... they are different alright.
Yep things are different, they are actually making decisions that are healthy for the game.

UO Players are some of the most self entitlted, greedy , lazy players I have ever seen.

Look around at all the other MMOs on the market, and look at how much their xfers cost or what their veteran players receive.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Tazar I use my shield account for a transfer about 4 times a week. Most of this is to help players get gear or money to other shards to help them do events. Some of this is used to transport goods back to atl for selling.

Either way, i chose the shield because of the rules and uses that were given to us. For UO to just redo how the shields work with no warning or explanation is tasteless at the very least.

This is why we have Focus groups... Something UO typically does for big announcements or changes. For UO to act so hastily there must be something dreadfully wrong with the shields.

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is just so disheartening, I have waited so long to get shields. I finally do and they make these changes. No prep, no real description of what and why. No discussion before implementation.

I understand that they are realizing that putting in the shields are perhaps affecting their bottom line as far as sales of character transfers go. I get that this may be their way of helping put more air in the life raft. However, I am upset as to HOW this is being handled.

Q&A should have been prepped ahead of time. We should not have to wait for clarification on the most basic of questions.
The announcement should have come with the following... how they are going to allow us to turn in our shields for a refund on our choice AND they should have come up with a NEW attractive vet reward that some of the same year vets would have found attractive. Those should have been prepared for this community and been published at the same time.

Doing the above would have certainly helped the reception of this idea and at least shown those of us who are upset that there was some consideration for how we would take this news.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tazar,
I agree there are months that go by that my guys dont move.
I have 2 dedicated transfer guys between the set of shields who do all my shipping.
Both have gone months not moving, but there are months one or both are all over the shards because I need something and yes I do offer a hand to any who need things taken when I go and I am very happy to help them and dont ever charge to do so.
I think this was done for a reason but not stated or given out giving us time to be ready for this.
The dev have made a misstep and though we are willing to wait for the answer many players out there are very short on the fuse.
What I am hearing across the shards is not a happy set of players... these are old vets... most wise any hoo.

4gregu

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Look around at all the other MMOs on the market,
Good idea. I'll look for one that actually communicates with the player base.

I get that you don't like shard shields, but look at them from the eyes of someone who has been waiting YEARS to get them, and when I finally do they change them, and not only change them, but do so with no discussion or real explanation of why, and exactly what the change even means. It's very telling of how they plan on handling things.

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think its pretty overrated. Once every two weeks is still way better than having to wait 10+ years for one shield at all. For everyone in need of transfering bi-daily or something, there are those $20 items in the store like they are for everyone w/o a shield.
Shard shields do have an impact on accounts that don't directly use them though, so there will most likely be some ripple effects. My main concern is how will this effect the flow of hard to get goods from a busy shard like Atlantic to a dead shard like the one I play on. If the flow of goods dries up... well, we'll see what happens.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Good idea. I look for one that actually communicates with the player base.

I get that you don't like shard shields, but look at them from the eyes of someone who has been waiting YEARS to get them, and when I finally do they change them, and not only change them, but do so with no discussion or real explanation of why, and exactly what the change even means. Is very telling of how they plan on handling things.
You are still getting a free transfer once a month. You are still get $20s of value per shield, and since the 2 week wait time is CHARACTER BASED, you can still on one account, do as many xfers as you want.

Cry me a river

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Absolutely baffling.... To rush this through with such worthless 'explanations' without any reason WHY this is so vital is lousy customer relations even by Broadsword and EA's pathetically low standards...

I have three shields, for Europa (so I can go 'home), Drach and Atlantic for occasional shopping trips - but I only use one character for transfers, since all the others on that account are active on my home shard, and regularly played and used at events I run or with guilds and similar activities where which character you play matters - as far as I can tell from the hopelessly worded 'explanations' my ability to transfer is now greatly limited, without any reasoning why.

Shackles

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Well, I am not happy about this, and I hope they give us our gift picks back. I no longer have a valid use for my 14 shard shields with over 150 tokens saved up. If this was an initial restriction with this "gift", I never would have chose so many.
The honorable thing to do with a nerf as big as this, is allow your customers to have the option of turning their gifts in for exchange of another pick.

One thing is unclear. The 2 week timer applies to all characters on all servers using the shields correct? Or is it just the character who used a shield is now on a two week timer?

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You are still getting a free transfer once a month. You are still get $20s of value per shield, and since the 2 week wait time is CHARACTER BASED, you can still on one account, do as many xfers as you want.

Cry me a river
But I still want to know why exactly this limitation is now happening, and what exactly their 'clear as mud' 'explanations really mean ....

Asking for sensible explanations and reasoning is not 'crying', it's hoping for what decent companies do when dealing with their customers and changing how things work..... although that's probably hopelessly optimistic as it's still EA we are dealing with here, despite the cosmetic namechange to Broadsword I get the distinct impression the same old arrogant contempt for the customer and a ton of spin about how much they 'care' to cover it up is still the default mode for these people.

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, I am not happy about this, and I hope they give us our gift picks back. I no longer have a valid use for my 14 shard shields with over 150 tokens saved up. If this was an initial restriction with this "gift", I never would have chose so many.
The honorable thing to do with a nerf as big as this, is allow your customers to have the option of turning their gifts in for exchange of another pick.

One thing is unclear. The 2 week timer applies to all characters on all servers using the shields correct? Or is it just the character who used a shield is now on a two week timer?
The boards are moving fast, so it's gotten a little buried but Bleak posted back on page one that it would be the character that has the timer.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you have 150 tokens built up, do you even ever transfer? (Honest question)

150 Tokens = ~$3000 value

If you dont want to wait the 2 week time on an individual character, then simply use another one.

obeeee

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It HAS to be the account <since they are account bound> AND the individual shield. But back to a simple trip to sell on Atl. I use my Atl shield token to make the trip. I sell and want to come home. I then use my LS token to get the ride home. If this is anything other than the 24 hour timer, gimme my pick back. Why does a char have to sit for 2 weeks on a foreign shard when doing commerce?

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's not right to compare these to paid transfer tokens as the shard transfers have always been much more limited, even discounting this crap change.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It HAS to be the account <since they are account bound> AND the individual shield. But back to a simple trip to sell on Atl. I use my Atl shield token to make the trip. I sell and want to come home. I then use my LS token to get the ride home. If this is anything other than the 24 hour timer, gimme my pick back. Why does a char have to sit for 2 weeks on a foreign shard when doing commerce?
If its just a character to buy stuff, then give your LS token/goods to a newbie character and transfer it back.

Boom, no 2 week wait.

The Real John

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is sad.

So if this is to fix the exploit with the shield transfers what will this fix?
So you transfer a char do your exploit then wait for it make a new chr on that shard give him the shields and do it all over again. So this so called fix really wont work so why do it? Why not just fix the problem instead of "O we don't know how to fix it. So were just going to punish every one!" That works really well. Its not like were talking about something that is given out every day. This is something your LOYAL following paid 14 years for. And if this is the thanks we get because you guys cant fix a exploit why should we even bother paying?

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If its just a character to buy stuff, then give your LS token/goods to a newbie character and transfer it back.

Boom, no 2 week wait.
Then you're stuck without what's likely a well skilled and geared character, given that this is for 14+ year accounts, for weeks. All just to buy stuff that you can't get on your shard because most of them are dead.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Then you're stuck without what's likely a well skilled and geared character, given that this is for 14+ year accounts, for weeks. All just to buy stuff that you can't get on your shard because most of them are dead.
If you are just xfering a character to buy stuff.....Why are you taking a geard/skilled character?