• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Publish and Patch today (Read post #292 before posting))

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I will be researching the legality of demanding my 14 years of monthly subscriptions back.
The simple "legality," unfortunately, is that we have none when the game and its gods go wrong. Were a rogue employee to delete your accounts and houses (à la the ******* Operator From Hell, and GM Darwin and others were suspected of deleting houses to let their friends place), you'd have no recourse, except perhaps getting a refund for unused game time. Screwing over players is never good PR, of course, but every software company has such disclaimers out of necessity. Back in 1999, when we were offered a beta client with a few new features, something went wrong one night, and it forced my character to res on the spot. I lost a 5x, nearly 7x mage, which at the time was a godly character that took five months of hard training. (Eval was particularly slow, because at the time skill gained slowed as more people used it.) I e-mailed the developer responsible for the new client, and he said it didn't happen to him. Yes, I explained, that's why such things are called bugs, assuming he could reproduce the same circumstances. There was nothing he would do for me, e.g. looking in previous backups to see what the character was, and he wouldn't even answer my challenge as to why I'd deliberately ruin a character.

Even freeware properly carries a disclaimer, lest something go wrong. All it would take to bankrupt a company or individual is a jury awarding huge sums over software they don't understand, for damages they don't understand are inflated. A purchased character transfer is worth $20, but a vet reward transfer has far less than that value, since, as I've said, it's flawed to think the use of a vet transfer would have otherwise been a purchased transfer. To limit a single character's vet reward transfers to every two weeks was indeed depriving me of some value, but even I must admit it's not $20.

"TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY FOR ANY DISPUTE WITH EA OR ITS LICENSORS ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO EA SERVICES AND/OR EA PRODUCTS IS TO STOP USING EA SERVICES, AND TO CANCEL YOUR ACCOUNT. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT EA, ITS LICENSORS, LICENSEES AND AFFILIATES ARE NOT LIABLE FOR ANY ACT OR FAILURE TO ACT BY THEM OR ANY OTHER PERSON REGARDING CONDUCT, COMMUNICATION OR CONTENT ON EA SERVICES OR USE OF EA SOFTWARE. IN NO CASE SHALL EA'S OR ITS LICENSORS', LICENSEES', AFFILIATES', EMPLOYEES', OFFICERS', OR DIRECTORS' (COLLECTIVELY, "EA AFFILIATES") LIABILITY TO YOU EXCEED THE AMOUNT THAT YOU PAID TO EA FOR EA SERVICES. IN NO CASE SHALL EA, ITS LICENSORS OR EA AFFILIATES BE LIABLE FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING FROM YOUR USE OF EA SERVICES, EA SOFTWARE, THE INTERNET OR FOR ANY OTHER CLAIM RELATED IN ANY WAY TO YOUR USE OF EA SERVICES OR ACCOUNTS. WHILE EA USES COMMERCIALLY REASONABLE MEANS TO PROTECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION, EA AND ITS LICENSORS ASSUME NO LIABILITY FOR LOSS OF DATA, DAMAGE CAUSED TO YOUR SOFTWARE OR HARDWARE, AND ANY OTHER LOSS OR DAMAGE SUFFERED BY YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTY, WHETHER DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL AND HOWEVER ARISING, AS A RESULT OF ACCESSING OR USING ANY EA SERVICE, CONTENT, EA SOFTWARE TO YOUR COMPUTER AND/OR DEVICE."

And right after that is a section less wordy, more vague, but just as important, about agreeing to indemnify EA. Again, it's standard.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hate to tell you, but we found 5 houses actually on fire on Napa Valley which had previously been player houses. I think very much, we did see some fire.

Thanks,
Daegan

I'd love to see these, post pics if possible.

While another post I made in some jest about Messana's post and reply was deleted(thanks Petra) I'll still add that the team really has to get it's stuff together. This was such a poor message to send to the masses.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
some shards still have old burning houses...for years and years ago....alas cant wait for further input from napa??

Daegan

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I'm at work, or I'd post the screens I took. A friends house is nearby. He mentioned previously there had been houses there, and I'm taking his word on that point.

Daegan

Sage
Stratics Veteran
some shards still have old burning houses...for years and years ago....alas cant wait for further input from napa??
Scratch that, after researching it myself I think its the old burning houses. *Sigh* I figured it out when he wasnt 100% sure and I found the old burning photos I had.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Napa has had burning houses left in the woods for ages, it's not worth the effort of cleaning up the servers I guess.

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
(Burn baby burn) disco inferno
(Burn baby burn) burn that mother down
(Burn baby burn) disco inferno
(Burn baby burn) burn that mother down

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you talk about the ones on fire island those are Draconi's they never got removed...

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Guys they are not like always browsing the forums... they do a lot, but that's not their primary job. So how about a bit o' patience?

Yes. but after kicking someone in the ass ................ ya kinda should check if you need to start running or not. There should be some hotline/batphone between Stratics and to whatever small dark room they keep the Code Mages. It is easier to put out small fires before the unkowing, led by the uncaring do the unthinkable.

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Must of been a group of people duping for it it be 18K tokens. I can't use the ones I have, real life gets in the way.

The only people I can see wanting so many tokens are the people selling items in game for real money to get their product to people ASP without using real tokens. Or event hoppers wanting their new drop on Alt ASP so they can sell for top gold but 18K is to many for that.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Big deal, they're going to ban a blank 15 yr old account with that duped 2000 tokens on 9 shards on a dummy alt account and the owner will continue to post here and log on to a shard near you. Wow, well done...

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Big deal, they're going to ban a blank 15 yr old account with that duped 2000 tokens on 9 shards on a dummy alt account and the owner will continue to post here and log on to a shard near you. Wow, well done...
With that many duped tokens, I'm pretty sure they'd be able to take action against the account holding them as well.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This wasnt duping. it was supposedly an exploit. personally i dont think this is a "bannable" offense. If you think it is, everyone with a prepatch greater dragon should also be banned (because that was an unintended exploit as well)

Its messed up that this existed in the first place, it took the devs a very very very long time to catch it. I just dont think its right to ban someone for that, when overall the enforcement is so lax that they probably didnt think much of it.

Yes i think the tokens should be deleted and the accounts other contents investigated and perhaps a 3 month suspension, but not a ban in this case.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This wasnt duping. it was supposedly an exploit. personally i dont think this is a "bannable" offense. If you think it is, everyone with a prepatch greater dragon should also be banned (because that was an unintended exploit as well)

Its messed up that this existed in the first place, it took the devs a very very very long time to catch it. I just dont think its right to ban someone for that, when overall the enforcement is so lax that they probably didnt think much of it.

Yes i think the tokens should be deleted and the accounts other contents investigated and perhaps a 3 month suspension, but not a ban in this case.
Why because a person who will exploit something for their own personal gain is surely capable of being a productive member of an online community , and therefor only deserves a slap on the wrist ?

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Cmon Smoot

No one could "accidentally" do the Shard Shield Exploit. Prepatch G Dragons could have been tamed without even knowing it. There isnt a single similarity between the two.

If you knowingly abuse an exploit, you should know there is a risk of action on your account. Especially when its not just something that could be an accident, but required deliberate steps to complete.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Well I think we are all done here.

It happened. It was resolved. We are back to the norm.

Minus about 18K transfer tokens of some make up and a few accounts.

Isn't there some adventuring to do somewhere?

Heck while we are all here might as well set up a community event.

Siege seems to have the record for mob waves at the moment.

Who is going to top that. hmm Maybe I will kick in a prize for the highest shard by the end of the month. :)

Ok Devs.

How about a shard trophy that gets passed around from shard to shard with the history of who earned it on the front. Placed at the entrance.

Lets get back to what we do best.

Gaming and our pursuit of the 8 virtues.

*Tips a glass in salute to all those who are in pursuit of the eight Virtues"

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
18,000 duped tokens...wow... thats a lot of tokens for one account...how the hell did they store 18,000 tokens..were talking 4 castles vanished...imguessing.....

Alas i can only hope u deal with the 1000's of other well known duped deco items in the same manner...i need not name them...every 4th/5th castles seems to have 2 on the steps knowadays.....That or make them replicas with other known deco dupes in the brit clean up/ turn in rewards......
new gift for Christmas 2014: Shard Transfer Book lol

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After this publish, we investigated further and discovered that only a small group of players exploited the dupe of the shield tokens. We are deleting those tokens and reverting the fix back by Monday at the latest.

It was not our intention to punish any innocent players, but to remove the 18,000 tokens that where duped. We have seized the houses and actioned the accounts of those responsible.

We appreciate your patience while we resolve this matter.

It is refreshening to see action taken against those who cheat with Ultima Online.

THANK YOU Devs, thank you for taking action in support of all of those players who play your game WITHOUT cheats.

I hope there will be many other actions taken in the future against cheaters, not only for duping, but also against scripting, hacking and other cheats unfortunately used with Ultima Online......

Thank you so much again !

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I´m not sure if it´s kinda funny or sad that someone actually want to keep cheaters like this in the same game they play...

*shakes head*

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I am thinking we are pretty much done here. Broadsword threw out the net and hauled it in. Everything back to normal on Monday.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am thinking we are pretty much done here. Broadsword threw out the net and hauled it in. Everything back to normal on Monday
but... which Monday ? :eek:

Two-week timer, this Monday.... how would that affect the players that have transferred from Thursday to Monday?

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cmon Smoot

No one could "accidentally" do the Shard Shield Exploit. Prepatch G Dragons could have been tamed without even knowing it. There isnt a single similarity between the two.

If you knowingly abuse an exploit, you should know there is a risk of action on your account. Especially when its not just something that could be an accident, but required deliberate steps to complete.
If nothing more, if the accounts are banned, hopefully it will be a wake up call that action is actually taken. Now if they would only crack down on the everyday cheaters that cause much more harm to the game than having unlimited account bound transfer service.

For me, its a matter of consistency. If your going to ban a bad exploit, ban ALL bad exploits. I dont agree for a second that scripting & multi-box 3rd party programs, are less harmful to the game as a whole than a guy who can transfer every day.

If there is no action taken against everyday cheaters, i see no reason why this cheat should be a bannable offense. (i did say i thought it deserved a long suspension)

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I have a very limited time at night to play because of severe packet loss with my new ISP, so only been on TC1 for a few minutes. Are bard slayer instruments part of the new loot system? Anyone finding instruments?

They were left out of the original Shame loot.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just to clarify, Characters that use the shard shields will now only be allowed shard shield transfer once every 2 weeks. Normal character transfers are not affected.
Funny thing. Everytime, I read this post, I am coming to the same result:
- Claim the tokens from the shard shiels with one character
- Transfer another char with that claimed token
All problems solved ...

But I still have to wait/play/pay for four more years until I would have been involved. (And yes, I ve read Mesannas posting and the upcoming solution but I thought, I could share my interpretation of Bleaks posting.)

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can't help but wonder if this will effect the books drops in Luna. *waits paitiently*

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a very limited time at night to play because of severe packet loss with my new ISP, so only been on TC1 for a few minutes. Are bard slayer instruments part of the new loot system? Anyone finding instruments?

They were left out of the original Shame loot.
Yes. I specifically went to test this. I killed solen infiltrators for a short while and obtained 2 slayer instruments.

Last edited:

UNKNOWN of Atlantic

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If I recall correctly, when Draconi did shard wide burning of houses there were no IDOCS to pick up, just flames and effigies of the dupers. This prevented someone "innocently" picking up duped items.
I don't think they want to tie up the housing Like they did FOR YEARS with burning rubble Houses there still one in Trinsic Fel South of the moongate Across the river Still Standing ..Been there for over 8 Years. If they wanted to Name shame they can Just put a post up With All the Accounts Characters names Who was Caught Duping, & they can Scan the Houses for duped items DUH they found 18.000 Duped Tokens. :ohsnap:

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I don't think they want to tie up the housing Like they did FOR YEARS with burning rubble Houses there still one in Trinsic Fel South of the moongate Across the river Still Standing ..Been there for over 8 Years. If they wanted to Name shame they can Just put a post up With All the Accounts Characters names Who was Caught Duping, & they can Scan the Houses for duped items DUH they found 18.000 Duped Tokens. :ohsnap:
I don't think they would need to tie up the housing spot for years. All they would need to do is put a special IDOC timer on the burning ruins and have it disappear after a short amount of time... or even have the spots turn to rubble like some one else said, at the end of the IDOC. Now that would be epic!

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After this publish, we investigated further and discovered that only a small group of players exploited the dupe of the shield tokens. We are deleting those tokens and reverting the fix back by Monday at the latest.

It was not our intention to punish any innocent players, but to remove the 18,000 tokens that where duped. We have seized the houses and actioned the accounts of those responsible.

We appreciate your patience while we resolve this matter.
I take it you meant next Monday?

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Much of what you said is how I feel. Good post! .

Now, today Oct 1 2014, I have a few questions (while Atlantic is down)

Is it safe yet to use the Shield Transfer tokens? I hold quite a few from shields and should use them. I am thinking of traveling to Atlantic from Sonoma using a shield transfer token so I can give my new tamer on Atlantic, a few items and much needed power scrolls.

I don't know much about how it is done. This much I think I :dunce: know:
1. You can't ride a mount and must have all pets stabled.
2. My account on Atlantic (which is down at the moment I have read) has a slot ready to accept a character from my account on Sonoma.
3. We have to have a slot open on the other shard on the same account. Is that true?

Question: Where can I go to get instructions on using the tokens, if not here. :popcorn:

Last edited:

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes shield tokens are good for go.... i have done a successful trip.
If you count the number of characters you have thats a good indacation of room. Also if you still see on the bottom corner the icon to make another... you have room.
Once Atlantic is through having its tempr tantrum you may leave when ready gridly.....

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes shield tokens are good for go.... i have done a successful trip. - - -
Once Atlantic is through having its tempr tantrum you may leave when ready gridly.....
"Once Atlantic is through having its temper tantrum ". - falls off chair laughing

Thanks for starting my day off with a big laugh! :banana:

I will plunge forward soon on my trip to Atlantic but am not worried about the character I am sending over because if she never returns for some strange reason, she is one of the many extra numerous Tamer/mages I made when UO changed stable slots to a limited number of Pets that could be stalled in one stable per character. Many old characters with nightmares, dragons and other beasts worth keeping in their stables, could NOT claim their pets until they achieved higher taming skills and newer Taming requirements. So I had to build their skills to very high levels too. Thus I have more tamer/mages than anyone requires in this game. But I was able, fortunately, to keep war horses and other special beasts on those accounts.

As I have said before UO is an ever changing world.