• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

To the Devs...*yes, Thief related*

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

I've never understood what value thieves bring to the game. Where's the fun in being just yet another hapless victim of a crime lord?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you ask the devs to remove all of those evil monsters as well? *rolls eyes*

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Hell, it's tough for the majority of the day just to find 4 other people that want to run the same dungeon that you do in the 5 man instances. Unless it's prime time, and you're in one of the larger guilds, you're out of luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you know this because you play WoW? Please, if you dont even play dont spread this propaganda. I rarely have a problem finding a PUG for whatever I am working on.

If you dont play the game, dont try to spread FUD.

Yea yea, a friend of a friend told you blah blah...Heard it before.

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Hell, it's tough for the majority of the day just to find 4 other people that want to run the same dungeon that you do in the 5 man instances. Unless it's prime time, and you're in one of the larger guilds, you're out of luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you know this because you play WoW? Please, if you dont even play dont spread this propaganda. I rarely have a problem finding a PUG for whatever I am working on.

If you dont play the game, dont try to spread FUD.

Yea yea, a friend of a friend told you blah blah...Heard it before.

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

For anyone who complains about Trammel, remember that it was the behavior of people within Felucca that made Trammel necessary to begin with.

-Galen's player

[/ QUOTE ]

You say that like it was EVERYONE on Fel that was the problem . Is that your belief? Everyone in Fel was a problem?

Either you are shortsighted or have a communication problem. Which?

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

For anyone who complains about Trammel, remember that it was the behavior of people within Felucca that made Trammel necessary to begin with.

-Galen's player

[/ QUOTE ]

You say that like it was EVERYONE on Fel that was the problem . Is that your belief? Everyone in Fel was a problem?

Either you are shortsighted or have a communication problem. Which?

C

Connor_Graham

"And you know this because you play WoW? Please, if you dont even play dont spread this propaganda."

Yes, I played WoW for almost a year, so no, it's not propaganda, it's experience.

"I rarely have a problem finding a PUG for whatever I am working on."

Then you're not playing when it's not prime time. It could literally take hours to find a group with the right combination of templates to run one.

"Yea yea, a friend of a friend told you blah blah...Heard it before."

Yep. I've seen you make assumptions before too. Just like this one.

C

Connor_Graham

"And you know this because you play WoW? Please, if you dont even play dont spread this propaganda."

Yes, I played WoW for almost a year, so no, it's not propaganda, it's experience.

Then you're not playing when it's not prime time. It could literally take hours to find a group with the right combination of templates to run one.

G

<blockquote><hr>

They were nerfed for a reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the dev I spoke to, face to face, said he disliked being stolen from. Here's the rub.

Thieves exist. we can still steal, but not from players (for the most part). I understand other professions have been nerfed over the years, they are free to voice their concerns. My concerns are for the lone game on the market that allows this type of interaction between players. It is what helps make UO unique. Don't make the game more like other games, especially this late in in it's development. The only new subscribers for the most part will be people who quit the game and come back. Revamping the thief system (in a pro thief way) would help to bring back many players...la

G

<blockquote><hr>

They were nerfed for a reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the dev I spoke to, face to face, said he disliked being stolen from. Here's the rub.

Thieves exist. we can still steal, but not from players (for the most part). I understand other professions have been nerfed over the years, they are free to voice their concerns. My concerns are for the lone game on the market that allows this type of interaction between players. It is what helps make UO unique. Don't make the game more like other games, especially this late in in it's development. The only new subscribers for the most part will be people who quit the game and come back. Revamping the thief system (in a pro thief way) would help to bring back many players...la

G

You feel free to offer a revamp all you wish. Thieves were overly powerful and had all advantage with no risk in the time everyone remembers and wants them. The dev was not the only one complaining, I assure you. Risk is a must in player interaction that you speak of. When that issue is resolved then the rest will fall into place and not until such a time. New players are not coming to UO because the franchise is too old and the name is lost in the sea of better offered products.

G

You feel free to offer a revamp all you wish. Thieves were overly powerful and had all advantage with no risk in the time everyone remembers and wants them. The dev was not the only one complaining, I assure you. Risk is a must in player interaction that you speak of. When that issue is resolved then the rest will fall into place and not until such a time. New players are not coming to UO because the franchise is too old and the name is lost in the sea of better offered products.

G

This is stupid. We all know that every RPG set in Medevil Times, had NO thief's, no bad guys, and was all Hug's &amp; Kisses.

Nothing bad should happen to you, EVER. Hell, i demand that EA put in a time delay between the server, and the PC, with a re-set button, so if you die to a Creature, you can re-set and do over.

This game was made with thief's. If you did not like it, WHY DID YOU STILL CONTINUE TO PLAY?

All thay need to do, is raise the requirment to stal from real players, so that, 'Throw away" Thief's are no longer an option. Give back back-paks to Npc's to practice on, and be able to make money while raising the skill, you know, like all the other skill's in the game.

Now, since NONE of this will ever happen, lets all have a group hug. Ahhhhhh

G

This is stupid. We all know that every RPG set in Medevil Times, had NO thief's, no bad guys, and was all Hug's &amp; Kisses.

Nothing bad should happen to you, EVER. Hell, i demand that EA put in a time delay between the server, and the PC, with a re-set button, so if you die to a Creature, you can re-set and do over.

This game was made with thief's. If you did not like it, WHY DID YOU STILL CONTINUE TO PLAY?

All thay need to do, is raise the requirment to stal from real players, so that, 'Throw away" Thief's are no longer an option. Give back back-paks to Npc's to practice on, and be able to make money while raising the skill, you know, like all the other skill's in the game.

Now, since NONE of this will ever happen, lets all have a group hug. Ahhhhhh

I

imported_dukarlo

Thieves were a great part of UO back before AOS. Trammel was created and players didnt have to deal with thieves if they didnt want to. If a player got stolen from more times than not it was because that player didnt protect himself because of ignorance or just laziness. Skilled players rarely got stolen from because they took the time to protect themselves and made a conscious effort to thwart thieves. Bucs Den use to be a thriving community of players full of thieves and other players that wanted to go where the action was. Unfortunately Fel nowadays is a cookie cutter land where there are no consequenses or real dangers. About the only thing people do there nowadays is mindlessly attack one another because death has no drawbacks. Ive been trying a last ditch effort on siege to get a thief going over there but unfortuantely that shard is an aos shard that was never designed to be an aos shard and is and has been greatly neglected by the devs. Finding anyone other than a few people at Luna is a chore there. As much as Id like to see a return of the thief I dont think EA will ever let it happen. They would rather have UO be a cookie cutter of other games than have it be the truly diverse and dangerous land it was intended to be.

I

imported_dukarlo

Thieves were a great part of UO back before AOS. Trammel was created and players didnt have to deal with thieves if they didnt want to. If a player got stolen from more times than not it was because that player didnt protect himself because of ignorance or just laziness. Skilled players rarely got stolen from because they took the time to protect themselves and made a conscious effort to thwart thieves. Bucs Den use to be a thriving community of players full of thieves and other players that wanted to go where the action was. Unfortunately Fel nowadays is a cookie cutter land where there are no consequenses or real dangers. About the only thing people do there nowadays is mindlessly attack one another because death has no drawbacks. Ive been trying a last ditch effort on siege to get a thief going over there but unfortuantely that shard is an aos shard that was never designed to be an aos shard and is and has been greatly neglected by the devs. Finding anyone other than a few people at Luna is a chore there. As much as Id like to see a return of the thief I dont think EA will ever let it happen. They would rather have UO be a cookie cutter of other games than have it be the truly diverse and dangerous land it was intended to be.

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

How long ago did you play?

*quite sure no matter what the correct answer is I will get "3 months ago" just to make sure you seem current with the game

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

How long ago did you play?

*quite sure no matter what the correct answer is I will get "3 months ago" just to make sure you seem current with the game

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Death in UO is always a risk. As a thief, anyone could kill me without risk of retribution...la

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Death in UO is always a risk. As a thief, anyone could kill me without risk of retribution...la

G

As a side note, one of the things that I dislike about KR is the slotted inventory system. Yes, it is nice for item management, but it does NOT go well with a game that has player thieving skill IMO. One of the best defenses is a pack that can make a thief cry, and if KR lets you choose a slotted view of containers, that sort of defeats any purpose in the messy pack defense. Choosing "legacy" mode for yourself doesn't affect how OTHER players see your pack!

-Skylark

G

As a side note, one of the things that I dislike about KR is the slotted inventory system. Yes, it is nice for item management, but it does NOT go well with a game that has player thieving skill IMO. One of the best defenses is a pack that can make a thief cry, and if KR lets you choose a slotted view of containers, that sort of defeats any purpose in the messy pack defense. Choosing "legacy" mode for yourself doesn't affect how OTHER players see your pack!

-Skylark

Experimental

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

yes, everyone is pointing to reasons why its fun for the thief, but that's not what I'm asking. Where are the people lining up asking to play victim? How is it fun for them? As for player justice, if the thief actually enjoys the risk/thrill of being chased, then there's no justice in hunting them down - it's not a punishment, it's a reward.

If I were a dev reading this thread, there is nothing yet that would convince me that thieves are a greater good for the game. So far, it reads as "thieves are good for thieves."

[/ QUOTE ]

As the "victim" of a thief, losing my silver vanq axe to one, I can say I had a blast chasing the little bugger down with a group of friends to try and get it back. I didn't, but my perspective was that it's a game, my axe wasn't the only one in the game and if I hadn't let him get that close to me in the first place, I wouldn't have lost it.

Experimental

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

yes, everyone is pointing to reasons why its fun for the thief, but that's not what I'm asking. Where are the people lining up asking to play victim? How is it fun for them? As for player justice, if the thief actually enjoys the risk/thrill of being chased, then there's no justice in hunting them down - it's not a punishment, it's a reward.

If I were a dev reading this thread, there is nothing yet that would convince me that thieves are a greater good for the game. So far, it reads as "thieves are good for thieves."

[/ QUOTE ]

As the "victim" of a thief, losing my silver vanq axe to one, I can say I had a blast chasing the little bugger down with a group of friends to try and get it back. I didn't, but my perspective was that it's a game, my axe wasn't the only one in the game and if I hadn't let him get that close to me in the first place, I wouldn't have lost it.

G

i could sort through that in no time...theres much easier ways of not getting robbed

G

i could sort through that in no time...theres much easier ways of not getting robbed

G

There is nothing to sort out. She doesn't carry anything of any worth. LOL, I should know, I've sorted through that pack numerous times, lol...la

G

There is nothing to sort out. She doesn't carry anything of any worth. LOL, I should know, I've sorted through that pack numerous times, lol...la

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Death is no risk. It's an inconvenience. Risk is the item being stolen or the insurance lost in the attempt. Death indeed....pfft

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Death is no risk. It's an inconvenience. Risk is the item being stolen or the insurance lost in the attempt. Death indeed....pfft

G

So are you trying to claim, that losing some pixels...in a game...is truely a risk to anyone?

Risk indeed...pfft...la

G

So are you trying to claim, that losing some pixels...in a game...is truely a risk to anyone?

Risk indeed...pfft...la

G

any thief worth anything will be wearing armour, if they're not there's no excuse why you couldnt kill them eitgher before or after they stole from you

G

any thief worth anything will be wearing armour, if they're not there's no excuse why you couldnt kill them eitgher before or after they stole from you

C

Connor_Graham

<blockquote><hr>

Risk indeed...pfft...la

[/ QUOTE ]

The risk isn't the pixels themselves, but the TIME it took to obtain them.

C

Connor_Graham

<blockquote><hr>

Risk indeed...pfft...la

[/ QUOTE ]

The risk isn't the pixels themselves, but the TIME it took to obtain them.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

tsk tsk Dave...robbery implies taking by violence/force, not subtlety/trickery...and I agree a messy pack doesn't help all that much against that sort of thing, except maybe to slow a looting robber down a bit, when you have backup coming.

-Skylark

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

tsk tsk Dave...robbery implies taking by violence/force, not subtlety/trickery...and I agree a messy pack doesn't help all that much against that sort of thing, except maybe to slow a looting robber down a bit, when you have backup coming.

-Skylark

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Eeep! ALL of that stuff I carry is very important! Just not to anyone else.

-Skylark

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Eeep! ALL of that stuff I carry is very important! Just not to anyone else.

-Skylark

P

Prudentis

If what you are asking for, is the old ways, where you could grief anyone with 50/50 newly created "thieves" at the bank for they hard earned money, boats, items, than no, thank you, since there was no way you could get your belongings back EVER.
Having been on the receiving end of griefers a few times, I can honestly say, that I can live without them very nicely.
It was a very one sided thing.

P

Prudentis

If what you are asking for, is the old ways, where you could grief anyone with 50/50 newly created "thieves" at the bank for they hard earned money, boats, items, than no, thank you, since there was no way you could get your belongings back EVER.
Having been on the receiving end of griefers a few times, I can honestly say, that I can live without them very nicely.
It was a very one sided thing.

G

<blockquote><hr>

If what you are asking for, is the old ways, where you could grief anyone with 50/50 newly created "thieves" at the bank for they hard earned money, boats, items, than no, thank you...

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that is not what I was asking.

<blockquote><hr>

, since there was no way you could get your belongings back EVER.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must not have gotten offers to buy back your loot. I always try to give that offer. If you play the namecalling card...well, I may just revoke the offer...la

G

<blockquote><hr>

If what you are asking for, is the old ways, where you could grief anyone with 50/50 newly created "thieves" at the bank for they hard earned money, boats, items, than no, thank you...

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that is not what I was asking.

<blockquote><hr>

, since there was no way you could get your belongings back EVER.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must not have gotten offers to buy back your loot. I always try to give that offer. If you play the namecalling card...well, I may just revoke the offer...la

D

dorkuberalles

can one explain the risk vs reward for the thief?

death can't possibly be the only risk, as thieving skills require no equipment, a thief can go naked if they choose and be just as successful. and thieves don't suffer statloss unless factioned.

D

dorkuberalles

can one explain the risk vs reward for the thief?

death can't possibly be the only risk, as thieving skills require no equipment, a thief can go naked if they choose and be just as successful. and thieves don't suffer statloss unless factioned.

G

Stealing while in the nude (besides looking silly) does not offer the thief very much protection. Even if they had taken the time to add 120 resist to their template, they would only have 40 resist or so. A flamestrike will pretty much give the item back to the original owner. Besides, I have watch many thieves, most don't know the little things about the game mechanics to give them their best odds at nicking an object.

There is no sure steal, I have seen thieves with 120 skill miss on a 1 stone item, and get guard wacked.

Why is everyone so hung up on this risk/reward thing? Last time I checked, there are a few things out there that pretty much eliminate your risk/reward. Shall I name a few?

Insurance
Trammel

Those sound familiar? Please stop trying to tell me that your profession is more important to the game than mine. You have fun playing your way. We (thieves) have fun playing ours. Except that our way has been chipped away for 10 years now...la

G

Stealing while in the nude (besides looking silly) does not offer the thief very much protection. Even if they had taken the time to add 120 resist to their template, they would only have 40 resist or so. A flamestrike will pretty much give the item back to the original owner. Besides, I have watch many thieves, most don't know the little things about the game mechanics to give them their best odds at nicking an object.

There is no sure steal, I have seen thieves with 120 skill miss on a 1 stone item, and get guard wacked.

Why is everyone so hung up on this risk/reward thing? Last time I checked, there are a few things out there that pretty much eliminate your risk/reward. Shall I name a few?

Insurance
Trammel

Those sound familiar? Please stop trying to tell me that your profession is more important to the game than mine. You have fun playing your way. We (thieves) have fun playing ours. Except that our way has been chipped away for 10 years now...la

G

Even in a game, I would guess no one likes being made to feel like a "victim." I sure don't. However, if the developers are going to include specific PvP conflict in the game, they have an obligation to continually support it like any other part of the game - or it needs to be removed completely.

Because it is a game, one that by definition is expected to involve interaction with other people, my feeling is there needs to be potential for both sides of any PvP situation to have fun/entertainment or it is not a successful component of the game. This includes thieving. It isn't fun for someone to have their time-intensive items taken with no real effective recourse, and it isn't fun to spend time training a skill and practicing it successfully for no real reward within the game environment. A broken/neglected system ends up satisfying no one.

-Skylark