• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

This is why EA Land will fail.

• Thread starter guilianox
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
S

SugarCane

Just want to say that I don't mind spending a few dollars on the ATM... I know that is an unpopular notion with some - but hey - if it can keep the game going to buy a few simoleans or ealeans or whatever... (hehe
)

I know, that's just me... I don't drink, smoke or go out much - so I am just spending a lil on my preferred addiction...

G

<blockquote><hr>

Suggestion - if, when someone voices opinions you find aggravating or repetitive, don't read. If you can muster the will power to not dive in and make assumptions and name call. Otherwise, you deserve the aggravation for loudly and abrasively making yourself part of something which you claim irritates you.

[/ QUOTE ]
AMEN! * grabs my pom poms for the first freaking time* Nearly every OPINION related post I personally have posted I also have been *attacked* Most of the time CH isn't very welcoming at ALL! Seem to me MOST do NOT want your opinions heard ONLY their own, as if ours ( as players as well ) are NOT wanted. Not pointing ANY fingers to Carrie or ANYONE, because it doesn't take a genius to see the attacking happening in ANY thread.

G

<blockquote><hr>

It's not an opinon,

[/ QUOTE ] How the heck is that NOT an opinion? Where's the dictionary........

P

Paulina

If you are able to afford it, and you want to build your lot then by all means go for it. I personally can't. So I choose not too. With ATM's comes the good and the bad, I just hope people will choose wisely and not get into a bind when it comes to their real life finances and not get into trouble.
Real Life is expensive right now, so be careful with your decisions.

I

imported_MattelMichele

Personally Speaking: I do hope at some point that the economy is fixed, especially for those lots (like mine) that spend a great deal of time hosting, educating &amp; feeding the many new &amp; poor simmies that are beginning to play the game again. To make it impossible for a lot owner to entertain those less than fortunate simmies would only make this game less social and more about creating multiple characters to sit in houses (or botting) and hide until.....simmus forever.

At this point, it is very hard for me to continue hosting, i will keep trying, but at some point my barfet cupboard may be empty, so to all you new players, i am sorry i couldn't help you, i do want to. I really do, but i may not be able to much longer.

~Michele

BTW Guilianox...this was a great post, and it has many valid points.

S

SugarCane

<blockquote><hr>

If you are able to afford it, and you want to build your lot then by all means go for it. I personally can't. So I choose not too. With ATM's comes the good and the bad, I just hope people will choose wisely and not get into a bind when it comes to their real life finances and not get into trouble.
Real Life is expensive right now, so be careful with your decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well - I'm not talking about huge amounts - I am talking about using the ATM a few times. Being careful with finances is something we all need to be, all the time. As I said; I don't drink or smoke - this is something I like to do, so I don't mind spending a little money on it. I hope I didn't sound like someone who is willing to kill myself financially on a game?

P

Paulina

Oh I am not saying you are..lol. Sorry if you misunderstood me.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

Sounds like the same old same old complaining to me.

Facts are....this is EAland. TSO as we knew it is gone.

Everyone is going to have to work a little harder to pad their Sim bank accounts? or they'll have to take a short shut &amp; buy it? Well...that's not really new is it? The only thing 'new' about it is the fact that now EAland will benefit from the profits instead of private parties. Could I point out that even when we started out with 10K and had sweet little payouts averaging anywhere from 2 - 10K per case of jam....new players STILL bought simoleans.

I'm really lost as to why it's an issue for players to buy from EAland instead of from the 'botters'?

Heaven forbid that EA make any money off this game. And if this game doesn't soon start turning a profit...all this complaining will be for nothing.

G

oh god the negativity .. !!!

<blockquote><hr>

EAL will fail because it's not the original concept of TSO.

[/ QUOTE ]

i tell you that eal will SUCCEED because of the new concept!! TSO had a concept, which failed ... its time we try a new one!!

I do agree, however, that some stuff needs to be fixed, most importantly the economy, botters and crucial bugs , then comes mild bugs and the name.

G

What bugs? How do you suggest they fix them. I am being serious.

G

I applaud this article and feel that it is in fact a good read. Whether people agree or not is irrelevant. I think its great that Xander has taken a stand and made his points so eloquently. We need more of this type of feedback to make our points to the Devs and anyone who will listen to those who love this game. Even with all its warts.

I know Xander to be a person who loves this game and wants it to succeed just like the rest of us. His opinions are not pompous or arrogant, rather they are informed and intelligent and very nicely worded.

My particular opinion is that we are at the mercy of developers who are going in a different direction than we hoped for. They have made there choices regarding this game. The only thing left to do is for us to make ours.

I dont like second life...wont play there. I, like so many others, am TRUE to TSO. As long as the TSO element remains so will I. Once its gone..I will be too.

G

I think that EA should shut down EA land, shut down TSO, go back to the drawing board and use Sims 2 as a basis for a new version of EA land.

This new EA land, based on Sims 2 should be a total sandbox, with an economy based only on custom content (bit like 2nd life etc).

An inside this giant sandbox, a social community will be able to exist and hook in on countless mini games. A bit like MSN Gamezone where thousands of people play chess and cardgames. Translated to the sims 2, you will move your avatar to a house hosting chessgames and sit yourself at a table, there you will enter a new interface where you can play chess against anyone sitting at a chesstable somewhere in EA land.

In other houses or community lots you will be able to hook up to online EA games which will then load. Avatars in those games should be dressed up and customized by using EA land custom content stuff.

That my friends, is the future of gaming, the future of the Sims franchise

G

<blockquote><hr>

Just my two cents (since we're not allowed to add our two simoleans anymore, hahaha)

I think the surest way to ensure the game's failure is to tar 'n' feather as traitors to the crown anyone who dares to point out that the king might be naked...

permission granted to quote that in your newspaper

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL great comment!

P

Purdy

<blockquote><hr>

I think that EA should shut down EA land, shut down TSO, go back to the drawing board and use Sims 2 as a basis for a new version of EA land.

This new EA land, based on Sims 2 should be a total sandbox, with an economy based only on custom content (bit like 2nd life etc).

An inside this giant sandbox, a social community will be able to exist and hook in on countless mini games. A bit like MSN Gamezone where thousands of people play chess and cardgames. Translated to the sims 2, you will move your avatar to a house hosting chessgames and sit yourself at a table, there you will enter a new interface where you can play chess against anyone sitting at a chesstable somewhere in EA land.

In other houses or community lots you will be able to hook up to online EA games which will then load. Avatars in those games should be dressed up and customized by using EA land custom content stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe this is what the end product will be. You know they have it all figured out and just tell us, in bits and pieces, as we go along whats coming up next.

I wish the Devs would tell us a little more on what exactly this game is going to be like. I'm even wondering when EA-Land hosts all the EA games -- are we going to have to pay for every game seperately? This is going to cost a lot more than the 9.99 a month.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe this is what the end product will be. You know they have it all figured out and just tell us, in bits and pieces, as we go along whats coming up next.

I wish the Devs would tell us a little more on what exactly this game is going to be like. I'm even wondering when EA-Land hosts all the EA games -- are we going to have to pay for every game seperately? This is going to cost a lot more than the 9.99 a month.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sandbox? Isn't that what the 'computer' based Sims game is for? Basically, 'building costs' was the only thing previously draining money out of the game. Building is probably one of the 'top' activities on the game. Why should EA offer it free?

We gotta shut down and lock everyone else out for what? Folks can't afford 'luxury' house building yet?

And since when do you have to 'pay' for everything in the game? Can't you folks don't want to 'play' the game at all do you? For those who want it all right now...."get our your bank cards" and make EAland rich! Kaching!!!

(BTW...Are you the same Purdy from MF? The one with blue hair?)

G

<blockquote><hr>

Just want to say that I don't mind spending a few dollars on the ATM... I know that is an unpopular notion with some - but hey - if it can keep the game going to buy a few simoleans or ealeans or whatever... (hehe
)

I know, that's just me... I don't drink, smoke or go out much - so I am just spending a lil on my preferred addiction...

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a valid way to look at it. I was categorically against the ATMs, and still am for myself because I will not and cannot use them, until somebody brought this up in game. Yes, the ATM is the *lazy* way out per se, however every dollar spent at the ATM goes in EA's pocket now whereas with subscriptions more money goes in over the long run but it takes more time. EA needs the immediate revenue to save the game, and THEN the game can be sustained by the long term revenue. If the game wasn't in such imminent danger of being closed due to lack of revenue, I'd still be against sims taking the easy way out, and IF I could afford it in RL to use the ATM, then I'd believe the best thing to do with those simoleans is to distribute it amongst some newbies, not giving any one newbie a big amount, just enough so that they can tip at houses and therefore not be lumped in with the 'freeloaders'. That's an idea for those who do not want to take the *easy* way, but want to give EA some additional immediate revenue, while helping newbie sims at the same time.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the premise of your post here, except that I don't think its necessary for EAL as it is now to be shut down while they work on upgrading our graphics to the TS2 engine (which I am dearly, dearly waiting for almost as much a being able to play more than one sim on an account at a time), and I do NOT think the entire game should be a sandbox. Once there are a significant amount of subscribers, and a significant show of people who want a sandbox server, then I would support there being a 'sandbox version' of EA Land, however that server would have few goals in-game that didn't revolve around building, so the one we have now would need to stay open for the goal-oriented sims that enjoy working for things bit by bit. I do think a sandbox server would be beneficial to builders, because it would do kinda what TS1 does for TSO now....it would allow you to be creative and try things out, and make mistakes and redo it without costing you money (since you can use rosebud in TS1), and then when you get your design the way you want it, you can go into the regular server and build it for the person, and know that you'll be doing it right the first time since you have it perfect on the sandbox server and know how to achieve it. Perhaps the sandbox server could have a 'counter' that shows how much money you WOULD be spending in the regular server, so that when you go to do it you know what expenditure you're looking at, and therefore know in advance what price to quote your customer.

Just a thought, and a good compromise between what you want, and what we have I think

G

A lot of old players pose as noobs. LOL It seems ridiculous but that is their game.

G

I quit playing the game about a year ago, so I didn't like the old version. I did however keep my account active in hopes Maxis could bring this game into the 21st century, facebook rocks. After playing yesterday, I saw welcome houses packed with newbies. The Newbies will keep the game going. We were packed at the restaurant track, my favorite job. Even my daughter is enjoying playing again with a new sim, and skilling, which she hasn't played in like 3 years.

The three most important things in an online game is Players, Players, and PLAYERS. Thanks Maxis we love all the new players.

P

Purdy

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

(BTW...Are you the same Purdy from MF? The one with blue hair?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone asked me that on the blog too, maybe it was you, but no I'm not that Purdy.

About the paying thing, I was just hoping the Devs would give us some more info about exactly what the game is going to be like. If EA-Land is hosting all the games and we can play all the games how are they going to make us pay for it, a monthly fee or by each game we play? Somehow I don't think it's going to be just the 9.99 a month that we pay for TSO. And how exactly does The Sims fit in? The whole thing is still confusing -- to me anyway.

G

<blockquote><hr>

The good ole' days in TSO, remember them? You know the time where you were still a newbie but so was everyone else? New adventures around every corner, new friends to give balloons to, and a couple of annoying people to slap around with your black leather glove? Yep, those were the golden days of TSO. It ended pretty quickly, but it'll always stick around in our memories. Now fast forward, pass the time where EA abandoned us, to today. Things look the same, we have new items and new features, but essentially things are the same right? No. This is why EAL will fail.

[snip]

[/ QUOTE ]Are you all sitting down? If not, you'd better grab a seat...

I read through this whole article. I was expecting it to be Yet Another Negative Post essentially pissing all over the game, its devs, and its players, without offering any substantive feedback -- essentially, another "this game sucks, I'm taking my toys and going home" post, like so many we've been seeing here lately from people who refuse to see beyond their personal little corner of the big picture.

I was pleasantly surprised. Yes, this was a negative post, but so much unlike most of the others I've seen here. This article was thought-provoking and well thought out; it lacked much of the rhetorical language present in the "this game sucks" posts; and it clearly explained and defended the writer's point of view without resorting to fallacious argument. Above all else, it remained respectful of the game, its developers, and its players, and placed the greatest responsibility for the present perceived direction in which the game is heading squarely on the corporate head itself.

Although I disagree with a number of points made in the article, it made me stop and think, without forcing me to one emotional extreme or another. I respect that. My only real complaint about the article is its title. The title is misleading, giving the whole of the article the air of authority, of being fact. You should avoid using absolutist language in your titles when writing opinion-based articles, lest you come off as pompous and arrogant, and force an emotional response from your readers even before they've read the article. Same goes for the concluding line in each of its paragraphs. Saying "I believe EAL will fail" would still assist the points you've made while avoiding sparking an undesired emotional response, and makes it clear that you own the opinions expressed in the paragraph - again, avoiding the appearance of your opinion as absolute fact.

As others have pointed out here, you haven't really argued anything that hadn't already been "discussed" ad nauseam; but you did it respectfully and thoughtfully, and you did it with class, and in a way that I hope will inspire real dialog among the players, and between players and the developers (who are probably every bit as frustrated with some of the EA-mandated changes as we are), instead of the mud-slinging we usually see.

N

nobuttkisser

<blockquote><hr>

The good ole' days in TSO, remember them? You know the time where you were still a newbie but so was everyone else? New adventures around every corner, new friends to give balloons to, and a couple of annoying people to slap around with your black leather glove? Yep, those were the golden days of TSO. It ended pretty quickly, but it'll always stick around in our memories. Now fast forward, pass the time where EA abandoned us, to today. Things look the same, we have new items and new features, but essentially things are the same right? No. This is why EAL will fail.

Bugs/Glitches. If you were apart of the TSO beta I'm sure to quite used to the bugs and glitches. But for us who joined a few months, or years, later this is something new to us. We never experienced these many bugs in our simmy lives. Roofs aren't there, lights give off a striped ambiance, random crashes to desktops, glitches that take away our items, and lags that could kill. There's no doubt that EAL is still in beta, but beta shouldn't always be hell. Beta is meant for there to be testing and a quick fixing of the game so it can go gold. Remember people, devs had 5 years experience with TSO, yet EAL is in "beta"? Sure, we know that the devs are doing "all they can" to fix our problems, but what impressions do these bugs make on new sims and especially returning sims? It tells them that this game is not a finished product so why waste anymore money? During the long break between moving EAL to the East Coast Server and merging EJ they should be quickly dealing with all of the bugs. In a recent town hall meeting, Greg told us that there's "No one working on roof bug yet."EAL will fail due to the lack of response by devs and the growing frustration from players.

New Economy. I'm sure that you know by now that there's a new "Dynamic" economy set up to mirror that of our real life capitalist economy. There's a system of "supply and demand" that raises retail prices of objects when alot of people buy them and decreases prices when no one buys them. The same "Dynamic" system is in play for real estate and payouts. It's been a little over a month now and we can clearly see that this new economy is not what we need right now. In EAL you're either rich from CC/Shops or just getting by. Sadly, not all of us can own a store or create Custom Content so what is there to do? Skill and make money through money houses! Grand idea, spending over 25 real life hours staring at our computer screen and then going to a money house to receive 52 simoleans a painting (on a good day). This economy is not meant for EAL. It only benefits the shop owners and their 20 accounts. Welcome lot owners have it the worst. We need an economy that rewards you for opening a Welcome lot and rewards you for cooking and giving advice to new sims. How can welcome lot owners benefit financially when their primary guests are newbies who have no game experience or job? This economy isn't even stopping botters from soaking up all the simoleans. Botters are still active and well. They may not be getting all the money that they were previously getting but 50k+ simoleans a day isn't that bad. EAL will fail due to the economy punishing sims with little to money and rewarding sims that use 3rd party programs to get money.

Botters. In EAL we refer to those who use 3rd party programs to gain simoleans as "botters". They've been around since the start of TSO. Always figuring out ways to exploit the system and succeed. During that time when EA abandoned TSO (2004-2007), which I will refer as the "Great Depression", botters ran rapid and we all thought they were ruining this game. When TSO's "savior" Luc showed up he pledged to restore TSO to it's full glory and get rid of the botters. A year later botters are still present and we're still paying the price for it. It seems as if the devs see the botters as clever, because in the 5 years TSO has been running, they have yet figured out a way to stop them. The devs thought the new economy would stop them, it only slowed them down. Now we're all waiting for the devs to present us with some unstoppable plan to defeat the botters. As we wait we're paying them 10$ and barely getting 3$ in payouts a month. EAL will fail due to the devs not being able to stop the botters. Today, we're still waiting...

ATMs. We've all seen these green blocks around on properties. They were introduced to give players a choice to buy simoleans with their real life currency, known as "cash-in". They're also designed to be able to transfer your simoleans into real life currency, known as "cash-out". I'm not saying that the physical ATM objects will make EAL fail it's the cash-in and cash-out. Ever since they introduced the idea on their blog there has been alot of controversy on the subject. Many think its a good idea for sims to buy simoleans to make a business of some sort and then cash-out to make a real life profit. While the majority of players believe that this system will only deepen EAL's grave. When people buy simoleans it isn't coming from EA's wallet, ATMs allow people to "buy" simoleans out of the economy. Not only do we suffer from this, but EA profits from it because they inject a ATM fee for themselves. With cash out, people are not putting the money back into the economy but instead putting it into their bank account. Win-win for EA, lose-lose for us sims. EAL will fail because of the burden of EAL's new economy and the ATM system.

EA Land. Yes, we all know the name is dumb and they could've been a litte bit more creative. Sims World, SimsVille, any thing but EA Land. But there is a specific reason why they chose EA Land. In the future they plan on bringing other EA games into EAL, a game mentioned by Parizad was "Need for Speed". Another reason is because they're moving EAL as far away from The Sims franchise as possible. TSO was huge for a few months and then turned out to be a major flop. The Sims franchise is known for having the top selling PC game and introducing a new brand of simulation to the market. There is no way they could continue to have TSO in their portfolio. That's why you'll see in the coming months the devs rename simoleans and will try to further separate The Sims and EAL. Ever since Maxis stopped having control over TSO in 2004, EA has ran TSO into the ground. EA has been against TSO ever since Will Wight introduced the concept. Don Hopkins, The Sims development team member, said in a past interview, "I recall that one of our most difficult accomplishments was convincing EA not to cancel the project". Luc was the one that let TSO live a little longer, but it seems as if that came to an end quick. EAL will fail because it's not the original concept of TSO.

In another quote by Dan Hopkins he says,"I don't think the lack of user created content is the only reason The Sims Online is a failure, but I think it's an extremely important one that EA went out on a limb and promised, but never executed on."

TSO used to be Will Wright's(The Sims creator) favorite game. A joyful game to played by all gamers. The good ole' days, remember? That's all we can do, just....remember.

Post your opinions,,,

Be sure to keep checking out the EAL Herald as I will post "How EAL Can Survive".
Posted with Permission From Xander Hill. www.ealherald.blogspot.com

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> There's no two ways about it. most of the people who post here just aren't going to be satisfied no matter WHAT is done. Its like you get up and survive to complain. its too hard, its too cold, no money, i can't get in , i can't get out, the devs won't answer our question, where is my this or that, and oh yes lets not forget can I have free green&gt;

Get a life first off without reading all of what you posted, yes I did remember the Golden days of TSO and yes I WAS a Founder because of testing the game of TSO before it went retail. Thing is, when we came up against a bug or an exploit, or even a group of people making sim life hard for other sims, we knew where and how to address the issue of the day. and did it in a POLITE manner.

We didn't bombard the dev's with I want this yesterday and I want that last month. We "suggested" what we would like, WAITED and when it became available it became available. We as founders knew that sometimes and yes its somtimes when Maxis or the developers said that an item would be out next week it might have been "code" for maybe next month....maybe lol but we took it in stride, watched the boards, and continued playing

Now this "new fangled" group of players we have now, first you found an exploit and "exploited" it to the hilt., second you wanted free green just about every week, third you got mad because people were telling you how to play an online game and you didn't like that because you wanted to play your game, "your way" regardless as to the fact that "your way" DIRECTLY affected the gameplay of others but you could have cared less.

you got so use to having a game under a system where you got what you got and all others be dammed, took advantage of other players with the most outragious prices and have the nerve of calling it the "democratic" process.

you had your computer keyboard on "afk" so much that you probably needed to either get another keyboard, or turn your keyboard upside down to get the button(s) back on the other side again. In short, you made the game SO BAD that there was no other choice but to declare tso as a game no more able to survive, kill that game and create another one off of the engine of the old game with room to "metamorphasize" into whatever the game EA Land will become.

People can't handle "wait" give us some time, we are working on it... and now you game players have the audasity to complain SOMEMORE!!!!

Shame on all of you who complain so much... if this game is stressing you that much... you do have an off button on your computer, and if you don't hell, pull the freakin plug from the back!!!!!

If this game is destine to fain. it will be because of the urge you have to make it fail..... The way that people complain you would think that you yourselves created this game. THIS IS ENTERTAINMENT not real life. get a grip throw on some cold water, shake yourself and exhale S L O W L Y ranting and raving about what isn't going to work won't make the devs work any faster than what they are.

Its been almost a month since they took TSO offline, I get up, look at this board, see if I can log in under my sims that remains on my property and If I can't then oh well, like the song of the Jackson 5 says "Maybe Tomorrow"

Bottom line, if you didn't push the devs to release this version of TSO/EA Land so hard they might have had time to work on the bugs, get rid of a lot of them (not all lol) and then released it.

Looking at what is now, I think I probably would have "ramdomly" grabbed a few Founders and created an "inner loop" to properly test the game and when the game seemed like it was really playable then released it into the public as a new game altogether. but again, you couldn't wait, so deal with what you have.</font>

I

imported_DutchAmerica

I would like to believe the jury is still out on the success or failure of EAland.

The one thing I felt encouraged about was the honesty. The original TSO was released with all it bugs and flaws. It was hoped that the popularity of the original product would makeTSO a huge hit. No plans were followed through to fix the game or to continue developement. So other than the 'solid' but small and permanent fan base, there was nothing to keep a steady stream of 'sign ups' coming through or spending their money.

I will speculate that that now is the time in this part of the 'revamp' TSO project that EA will look at the numbers again. Will TSO have recovered enough to continue on?

I hope we get the green light to continue on because I really want to see what the Devs have in mind because from the preliminary convos here and the meetings 'pre-VP' days....there's a lot on the table for TSO and it's all very exciting and I can't wait to see it happen. And I personally plan on being here for the entire ride...good or bad!!!

This is just speculation on my part but...I think that now more than ever EALand has a real chance to actually succeed simply because of the real world conditions such as rising gas prices causing families to cut back on outtings and finding 'alt' past-times.

G

<blockquote><hr>

What bugs? How do you suggest they fix them. I am being serious.

[/ QUOTE ]
The usual.
Log-in errors, avatar leasing, updater, DL problems, install problems, etc.
Plus some other, more specific, stuff: CC approval (you get an approval message, but the object never shows), disappearing inventory (especially CC), lag, rooves (roofs)*, out of bounds objects, lighting glitches, free account exploit, etc.
These are just off the top of my head - I'm sure others can add to the list.

How to fix them? There's only one way - roll up your sleeves and dig into the game code. In my experience, I have found that most errors are the result of a simple syntax problem or misdirected pointer, improper punctuation (too many or not enough parentheses, e.g.), corrupted file, etc. Some are very difficult, but most fall into the 'how did I make a dumb mistake like that?' category.

* My seventh grade English teacher insists that the plural of "roof" is "rooves", and anybody that disagrees can report for detention.

Important note to those who disagree: In todays schools, a teacher like her would have a nickname descriptive of her personality - something like "Languor the Destroyer" or "MegaTeach - Eater of Souls".
You have been warned! [fear]

G

<blockquote><hr>

I hope we get the green light to continue on because I really want to see what the Devs have in mind because from the preliminary convos here and the meetings 'pre-VP' days....there's a lot on the table for TSO and it's all very exciting and I can't wait to see it happen. And I personally plan on being here for the entire ride...good or bad!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
What do you mean by "pre-VP days"? And "there's a lot on the table"? Like what?
Did I miss a posting about their future plans?

G

i agree well done ,, i would like to see alot of these ppl complaining try to do what the devs are doing and put up with ppl like them ,, its not easy but they are working on it and i do see better days.. and i have been around since 002 .. i actually quite when the money got out of hand and have just come back .. even thou there is still lots of bugs to work out im happy with the changes so far,, and hope they can make all there dead lines and keep this game going..

G

<blockquote><hr>

I quit playing the game about a year ago, so I didn't like the old version. I did however keep my account active in hopes Maxis could bring this game into the 21st century, facebook rocks. After playing yesterday, I saw welcome houses packed with newbies. The Newbies will keep the game going. We were packed at the restaurant track, my favorite job. Even my daughter is enjoying playing again with a new sim, and skilling, which she hasn't played in like 3 years.

The three most important things in an online game is Players, Players, and PLAYERS. Thanks Maxis we love all the new players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, as long as a good portion of the new players become premium, you are correct. The free players are an asset as I see it, because as you say a big portion of fun in an online game is having people around you to play alongside.....if people wanted to play alone they'd play offline games. However we need enough of the free players to become premium as their circumstances allow, because it is insufficient revenue that will cause the devs to shut the game down, no matter how many people are actually in the game if the majority are free players. So no, I'm not one who sees the free players as purely leeching and serving no purpose at all, yet I think it's important to encourage, but not pressure, them to become premium players. If their RL circumstances prevent them from subscribing premium, then that's fine, I have zero problem with them remaining a free player permanently, because their presence, especially if they are pleasant to be around and play with, will encourage others to stick around....others who possibly CAN subscribe.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

It's not an opinon,

[/ QUOTE ] How the heck is that NOT an opinion? Where's the dictionary........

[/ QUOTE ]

It's all fact, written in stone. The game's gonna fail, no matter how many times the OP says it's an opinion, some people are gonna be persistent and try to prove them wrong.

Nothing that doesn't come out of a dev's mouth (or fingers, teehee
) is not a fact. Claiming that Sean's post IS NOT AN OPINION is a wrong assumption that *some* seem to be making.

The devs know all, they've seen more of the game than any of us, whether we choose to believe it or not, and they know how things work more than any of us could ever try to. They wouldn't assemble a team of pro's to create a game only to let it fail. That would be such a waste of time!!

C

cammrisdemorte

When TSO's "savior" Luc showed up he pledged to restore TSO to it's full glory and get rid of the botters. lmao this is a nice thought dude but luc was in game over 2 or 3 months ago and said he was going to turn on the bot limters and the pay would go back up so was that bs just to shut us up i wonder

G

The free players are an asset as I see it

Do you mean free 'players' or free 'accounts'? Free players may become paid accounts, which of course is a good thing. Free accounts being used to inflate VH in categories other than Skill and Money is a drag on resources and discouraging to people wanting to move up in the lists 'honestly'.

G

Lee said at Town Hall tonight that free accts will not be counted toward visitor hours, in the future. I am not sure when this will be implemented.

Free players are free advertisement.

G

<blockquote><hr>

The free players are an asset as I see it

Do you mean free 'players' or free 'accounts'? Free players may become paid accounts, which of course is a good thing. Free accounts being used to inflate VH in categories other than Skill and Money is a drag on resources and discouraging to people wanting to move up in the lists 'honestly'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well of course the exploiters are not good for the game, but that's true whether the exploiter is paying a monthly fee to EA or not. Many people though have used the exploitation of free accounts to say that free accounts should be done away with entirely, or at least be limited to TC3, and that free account players, even the non-exploiters are the same drag on resources, both game-hardwarewise and on resources to the players who choose to feed them. That's what I meant when I said free account PLAYERS are assets, setting them apart from exploiters

G

<blockquote><hr>

Lee said at Town Hall tonight that free accts will not be counted toward visitor hours, in the future. I am not sure when this will be implemented.

Free players are free advertisement.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope that statement is limited to EAL. If that becomes true for TC3, then free players will become even more hated, since as I pointed out once before even in money and skill lots in TC3, its very possible to have a roomie or owner on a lot, and have 34 visitors and every single one of them be on free accounts, thus meaning that that house would not get any visitor time during the time that this was the case, until they got some premium players on the lot. This could result in discrimination, of some 'power-hungry' players who want to be high on the list booting sims that they find out are on free accounts, to make room for premium players. Since TC3 is the only city that free account holders can skill and make money in, this would be disasterous.

I'm hoping it was just an oversight that you didn't specify TC3, but I thought I would ask.

S

SugarCane

<blockquote><hr>

That is a valid way to look at it. I was categorically against the ATMs, and still am for myself because I will not and cannot use them, until somebody brought this up in game. Yes, the ATM is the *lazy* way out per se, however every dollar spent at the ATM goes in EA's pocket now whereas with subscriptions more money goes in over the long run but it takes more time. EA needs the immediate revenue to save the game, and THEN the game can be sustained by the long term revenue. If the game wasn't in such imminent danger of being closed due to lack of revenue, I'd still be against sims taking the easy way out, and IF I could afford it in RL to use the ATM, then I'd believe the best thing to do with those simoleans is to distribute it amongst some newbies, not giving any one newbie a big amount, just enough so that they can tip at houses and therefore not be lumped in with the 'freeloaders'. That's an idea for those who do not want to take the *easy* way, but want to give EA some additional immediate revenue, while helping newbie sims at the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually - that is part of it; I have a welcome house now and while I do not give away money to newbies - they usually do not have money to tip - so point being; I feed them for free and spend a lot of time there which makes it hard for me to make money myself - and I wanted some funds to be able to take care of the house.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually - that is part of it; I have a welcome house now and while I do not give away money to newbies - they usually do not have money to tip - so point being; I feed them for free and spend a lot of time there which makes it hard for me to make money myself - and I wanted some funds to be able to take care of the house.

[/ QUOTE ]

By taking the time to help them with their questions, and feeding them for free AND not making them feel guilty about it, you're doing just as much, if not more than you would be if you just gave every newbie you encountered 250-500 simoleans or whatever, plus you are making them feel truly welcome by not pidgeon-holing them as idiots and/or freeloaders the way I've seen so many others make the mistake of doing, out of frustration and cynicism brought on by staying in an unhappy situation far too long and not doing anything about it. So again, gotta applaud your efforts, I wish all experienced players, especially those who open welcome and service lots, felt this way but more and more gem players like you are becoming the exception rather than the rule

S

SugarCane

Aww - thank you for the kind words...
I am not that 'old' myself, but I met some nice people who helped me out a lot when I first came to the game and I would like to do the same for others.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I agree with the premise of your post here, except that I don't think its necessary for EAL as it is now to be shut down while they work on upgrading our graphics to the TS2 engine (which I am dearly, dearly waiting for almost as much a being able to play more than one sim on an account at a time), and I do NOT think the entire game should be a sandbox. Once there are a significant amount of subscribers, and a significant show of people who want a sandbox server, then I would support there being a 'sandbox version' of EA Land, however that server would have few goals in-game that didn't revolve around building, so the one we have now would need to stay open for the goal-oriented sims that enjoy working for things bit by bit. I do think a sandbox server would be beneficial to builders, because it would do kinda what TS1 does for TSO now....it would allow you to be creative and try things out, and make mistakes and redo it without costing you money (since you can use rosebud in TS1), and then when you get your design the way you want it, you can go into the regular server and build it for the person, and know that you'll be doing it right the first time since you have it perfect on the sandbox server and know how to achieve it. Perhaps the sandbox server could have a 'counter' that shows how much money you WOULD be spending in the regular server, so that when you go to do it you know what expenditure you're looking at, and therefore know in advance what price to quote your customer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see where you can coming from. The main difference is that in my opinion the fundamens of the game are not enough to make it survive. In it's peak TSO had what...100k subscribers? Quickly to dwindle down into a marginal amount (not enough to make it a success). The reason is not the bugs and the flaws. The reason is just the lack of meaningful gameplay. You can pimp up EAland all you want with custom content and ATM's, it is still the same gameplay. The gameplay basis is inherently flawed. It's missing the one key component that made the sims a huge success: the fast forward button to skip the boring parts.

That is why I think the current approach is wrong. I think a total sandbox element (note: sims2 graphics and customizable main land maps) and only using this sandbox as a basis for real games will be a much bigger success.

What are successful internet things? Chessgames, boardgames, cardgames, puzzlegames etc. Focus on creating scripted cardgame simulators where you can create your own ruleset, boardgames where you can create your board and ruleset. Plug that into the Sims 2 sandbox game, add an ATM which people can use to pimp their credits to improve their houses. That is how I think this game will survive. Get rid of pizza,band, those kind of things. I think people will enjoy themselves much more when playing unique boardgames together or having a hearts tournament, vastly superior to Code or Pizza or watching your sim paint.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see where you can coming from. The main difference is that in my opinion the fundamens of the game are not enough to make it survive. In it's peak TSO had what...100k subscribers? Quickly to dwindle down into a marginal amount (not enough to make it a success). The reason is not the bugs and the flaws. The reason is just the lack of meaningful gameplay. You can pimp up EAland all you want with custom content and ATM's, it is still the same gameplay. The gameplay basis is inherently flawed. It's missing the one key component that made the sims a huge success: the fast forward button to skip the boring parts.

That is why I think the current approach is wrong. I think a total sandbox element (note: sims2 graphics and customizable main land maps) and only using this sandbox as a basis for real games will be a much bigger success.

What are successful internet things? Chessgames, boardgames, cardgames, puzzlegames etc. Focus on creating scripted cardgame simulators where you can create your own ruleset, boardgames where you can create your board and ruleset. Plug that into the Sims 2 sandbox game, add an ATM which people can use to pimp their credits to improve their houses. That is how I think this game will survive. Get rid of pizza,band, those kind of things. I think people will enjoy themselves much more when playing unique boardgames together or having a hearts tournament, vastly superior to Code or Pizza or watching your sim paint.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's funny you mention all the things you did that would make this game a success. I say that because a conversation I had with Lee before EA Land even opened was where he said that is where they are trying to take it. The custom content you see now is just the beginning, their plans are to allow coding in a way where CC can be done to supply pretty well all of what you mentioned.
The problem is, and will be very hard to overcome is being able to have players make the in game currency in the game, and still be able to enable the buybacks. Without the buybacks there is really no incentive for people with the knowledge needed to make such content, to do so.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

All of that already exists though with Club Pogo, another EA run game, so I'd be willing to bet that we'll some day be able to play CP games within EAL. I wouldn't mind having all those things *along with* what we have, but not at the expense of it. In other words, I don't mind those who don't enjoy sim jobs or the group/single money objects having alternate things to do, but I don't want them taken away from those of us who do enjoy them. I am especially getting to love the sim jobs. I'm on level 4 of the restaurant track, and am now making roughly 1000 simoleans a shift, something that is only currently doable with a REALLY GOOD pizza caller, the rest of the time if you wanna make pizza most callers don't even come close to that, unfortunately, so it's awesome when you do find a good caller....better bookmark them LOL

I

imported_CherryBomb

<blockquote><hr>

The reason is just the lack of meaningful gameplay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for that one, Johnny. You hit the nail on the head there. The devs are trying to transform a "game" game into a social space game with cash-out. So much of TSO gameplay has to be butchered to get to that point that I agree with you that they should have simply started over with a Sims2 launching pad. I have been saying this for, what, eight months now?

CherryBomb

C

calvinscreeksim

<blockquote><hr>

I am especially getting to love the sim jobs. I'm on level 4 of the restaurant track, and am now making roughly 1000 simoleans a shift, something that is only currently doable with a REALLY GOOD pizza caller, the rest of the time if you wanna make pizza most callers don't even come close to that, unfortunately, so it's awesome when you do find a good caller....better bookmark them LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

*golf claps* You finally found something your good at. GJ

G

I really like your post and wish that more people felt as you do.

I seldom come to the forums anymore because of the constant complaining and so I am glad that today I chose to stupidly read this thread. lol I was getting depressed and planning on logging off when I thought ok, one more. That one more was your post. I loved it, I am hiped again and feeling very positive after reading your thread. You are right on.

I also got to thinking and I am not pointing any fingers but the thought came to me that those who cheated and took advantage of the exploit and who break the tos by using the botts also post here. They want a change almost desperatly. I think we all need to remember when we read a negative post that it could have been writen by one of them and realize where some....maybe not all, the negativity is coming from. Just a thought.....

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Wow.
You have 'facts' all mixed in with opinion and speculation *masquerading* as fact.
Until you can sort that out, I doubt that your article about "How EAL Can Survive" can be very accurate, and therefore helpful.

[/ QUOTE ]

This article is obviously very subjective. Just saying "This is Why EA Land Will Fail" alone is speculation. I wrote it to basically voice some of the players concerns in the last few weeks. I also wrote it to point out major flaws in EAL to both players and devs. An <u>eye-opening</u> rant from one EAL player.

Take this as entertainment. This is a game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess I missed the part about <u>eye-opening</u>. *shrugs*