• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

This is why EA Land will fail.

• Thread starter guilianox
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
G

guilianox

The good ole' days in TSO, remember them? You know the time where you were still a newbie but so was everyone else? New adventures around every corner, new friends to give balloons to, and a couple of annoying people to slap around with your black leather glove? Yep, those were the golden days of TSO. It ended pretty quickly, but it'll always stick around in our memories. Now fast forward, pass the time where EA abandoned us, to today. Things look the same, we have new items and new features, but essentially things are the same right? No. This is why EAL will fail.

Bugs/Glitches. If you were apart of the TSO beta I'm sure to quite used to the bugs and glitches. But for us who joined a few months, or years, later this is something new to us. We never experienced these many bugs in our simmy lives. Roofs aren't there, lights give off a striped ambiance, random crashes to desktops, glitches that take away our items, and lags that could kill. There's no doubt that EAL is still in beta, but beta shouldn't always be hell. Beta is meant for there to be testing and a quick fixing of the game so it can go gold. Remember people, devs had 5 years experience with TSO, yet EAL is in "beta"? Sure, we know that the devs are doing "all they can" to fix our problems, but what impressions do these bugs make on new sims and especially returning sims? It tells them that this game is not a finished product so why waste anymore money? During the long break between moving EAL to the East Coast Server and merging EJ they should be quickly dealing with all of the bugs. In a recent town hall meeting, Greg told us that there's "No one working on roof bug yet."EAL will fail due to the lack of response by devs and the growing frustration from players.

New Economy. I'm sure that you know by now that there's a new "Dynamic" economy set up to mirror that of our real life capitalist economy. There's a system of "supply and demand" that raises retail prices of objects when alot of people buy them and decreases prices when no one buys them. The same "Dynamic" system is in play for real estate and payouts. It's been a little over a month now and we can clearly see that this new economy is not what we need right now. In EAL you're either rich from CC/Shops or just getting by. Sadly, not all of us can own a store or create Custom Content so what is there to do? Skill and make money through money houses! Grand idea, spending over 25 real life hours staring at our computer screen and then going to a money house to receive 52 simoleans a painting (on a good day). This economy is not meant for EAL. It only benefits the shop owners and their 20 accounts. Welcome lot owners have it the worst. We need an economy that rewards you for opening a Welcome lot and rewards you for cooking and giving advice to new sims. How can welcome lot owners benefit financially when their primary guests are newbies who have no game experience or job? This economy isn't even stopping botters from soaking up all the simoleans. Botters are still active and well. They may not be getting all the money that they were previously getting but 50k+ simoleans a day isn't that bad. EAL will fail due to the economy punishing sims with little to money and rewarding sims that use 3rd party programs to get money.

Botters. In EAL we refer to those who use 3rd party programs to gain simoleans as "botters". They've been around since the start of TSO. Always figuring out ways to exploit the system and succeed. During that time when EA abandoned TSO (2004-2007), which I will refer as the "Great Depression", botters ran rapid and we all thought they were ruining this game. When TSO's "savior" Luc showed up he pledged to restore TSO to it's full glory and get rid of the botters. A year later botters are still present and we're still paying the price for it. It seems as if the devs see the botters as clever, because in the 5 years TSO has been running, they have yet figured out a way to stop them. The devs thought the new economy would stop them, it only slowed them down. Now we're all waiting for the devs to present us with some unstoppable plan to defeat the botters. As we wait we're paying them 10$ and barely getting 3$ in payouts a month. EAL will fail due to the devs not being able to stop the botters. Today, we're still waiting...

ATMs. We've all seen these green blocks around on properties. They were introduced to give players a choice to buy simoleans with their real life currency, known as "cash-in". They're also designed to be able to transfer your simoleans into real life currency, known as "cash-out". I'm not saying that the physical ATM objects will make EAL fail it's the cash-in and cash-out. Ever since they introduced the idea on their blog there has been alot of controversy on the subject. Many think its a good idea for sims to buy simoleans to make a business of some sort and then cash-out to make a real life profit. While the majority of players believe that this system will only deepen EAL's grave. When people buy simoleans it isn't coming from EA's wallet, ATMs allow people to "buy" simoleans out of the economy. Not only do we suffer from this, but EA profits from it because they inject a ATM fee for themselves. With cash out, people are not putting the money back into the economy but instead putting it into their bank account. Win-win for EA, lose-lose for us sims. EAL will fail because of the burden of EAL's new economy and the ATM system.

EA Land. Yes, we all know the name is dumb and they could've been a litte bit more creative. Sims World, SimsVille, any thing but EA Land. But there is a specific reason why they chose EA Land. In the future they plan on bringing other EA games into EAL, a game mentioned by Parizad was "Need for Speed". Another reason is because they're moving EAL as far away from The Sims franchise as possible. TSO was huge for a few months and then turned out to be a major flop. The Sims franchise is known for having the top selling PC game and introducing a new brand of simulation to the market. There is no way they could continue to have TSO in their portfolio. That's why you'll see in the coming months the devs rename simoleans and will try to further separate The Sims and EAL. Ever since Maxis stopped having control over TSO in 2004, EA has ran TSO into the ground. EA has been against TSO ever since Will Wight introduced the concept. Don Hopkins, The Sims development team member, said in a past interview, "I recall that one of our most difficult accomplishments was convincing EA not to cancel the project". Luc was the one that let TSO live a little longer, but it seems as if that came to an end quick. EAL will fail because it's not the original concept of TSO.

In another quote by Dan Hopkins he says,"I don't think the lack of user created content is the only reason The Sims Online is a failure, but I think it's an extremely important one that EA went out on a limb and promised, but never executed on."

TSO used to be Will Wright's(The Sims creator) favorite game. A joyful game to played by all gamers. The good ole' days, remember? That's all we can do, just....remember.

Post your opinions,,,

Be sure to keep checking out the EAL Herald as I will post "How EAL Can Survive".
Posted with Permission From Xander Hill. www.ealherald.blogspot.com

G

Wow.
You have 'facts' all mixed in with opinion and speculation *masquerading* as fact.
Until you can sort that out, I doubt that your article about "How EAL Can Survive" can be very accurate, and therefore helpful.

V

vapd3317

I couldnt take the time to read it. I have books shorter than this post. Was afraid my simmie would time out.

S

Sean Kendrick

<blockquote><hr>

Wow.
You have 'facts' all mixed in with opinion and speculation *masquerading* as fact.
Until you can sort that out, I doubt that your article about "How EAL Can Survive" can be very accurate, and therefore helpful.

[/ QUOTE ]

This article is obviously very subjective. Just saying "This is Why EA Land Will Fail" alone is speculation. I wrote it to basically voice some of the players concerns in the last few weeks. I also wrote it to point out major flaws in EAL to both players and devs. An eye-opening rant from one EAL player.

Take this as entertainment. This is a game.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed.....one of the few things the two of us have agreed on in a very long time. But as long as we're talking about why EAL *might* fail, be sure to add all the returning players who claim to care about the game, that do nothing but piss all over it, having very little positive to say. Just what do you think new and other returning players have to say about that?

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

This article is obviously very subjective. Just saying "This is Why EA Land Will Fail" alone is speculation. I wrote it to basically voice some of the players concerns in the last few weeks. I also wrote it to point out major flaws in EAL to both players and devs. An eye-opening rant from one EAL player.

[/ QUOTE ]
What's "eye-opening" about it?
All of the subject matter has been discussed and dissected in infinite detail in numerous threads.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you probably should have titled it differently, so as not to step on the nerves of those of us that really DO want to see the game succeed, and are sick to death of the constant nyah nyah, just as you are sick of the rah rah. TSO/EAL is a game, however some of us have been around long enough that it has become a part of our lives, to varying degrees. Some players in this game have even fallen in love and gotten married to other players. Other players yet and still might not even be alive if not for the therapeutic value that this game has had on their physical and mental health......so seeing you piss all over that, with an article that is almost 100% pessimistic speculation and saying 'this WILL happen', sorry, that doesn't have much entertainment or humor value.

G

It could be because I've been playing for 2 days in TC3, but I like it. I have a whole 1505 simoleons right now and will have more before the nights out. The challenge of getting enough to buy a lot and the excitement of already being half way there is exciting. (sorry, couldn't read the post. I have a short attention span. But the challenge should keep the game going, i think)

G

Ok. so you wrote ALL THE NEGATIVES? Where are the positives?

here are short some
** Custom Content is introduced!
** New objects are introducted!
** 4th and 5th year anniversary is also in plans
** Instead of going to other city, you can contact your best 3 buddies from 3 diffrent cities AT ONCE!
** A lot to come!

There was a saying... oh yea. One man's Meat is another's Poison..

S

Sean Kendrick

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you probably should have titled it differently, so as not to step on the nerves of those of us that really DO want to see the game succeed, and are sick to death of the constant nyah nyah, just as you are sick of the rah rah. TSO/EAL is a game, however some of us have been around long enough that it has become a part of our lives, to varying degrees. Some players in this game have even fallen in love and gotten married to other players. Other players yet and still might not even be alive if not for the therapeutic value that this game has had on their physical and mental health......so seeing you piss all over that, with an article that is almost 100% pessimistic speculation and saying 'this WILL happen', sorry, that doesn't have much entertainment or humor value.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess people aren't really getting why I wrote this. I, like everyone else, want to see this game succeed. I only see positive actions coming from this article. I addressed what's wrong and now it's time to fix it. If I wanted this game to fail, I probably wouldnt be still paying 10$ a month.

I do understand that this has been discussed in many thread, thats why I confined it to one article. If you don't want to read it, then don't. Many people will find this entertaining and a good read. If you don't that's fantastic too.

S

Sean Kendrick

<blockquote><hr>

Ok. so you wrote ALL THE NEGATIVES? Where are the positives?

here are short some
** Custom Content is introduced!
** New objects are introducted!
** 4th and 5th year anniversary is also in plans
** Instead of going to other city, you can contact your best 3 buddies from 3 diffrent cities AT ONCE!
** A lot to come!

There was a saying... oh yea. One man's Meat is another's Poison..

[/ QUOTE ]

I love the positives. But sadly the bad outweighs the good.

Custom Content is at an all time high, cost wise. Many people can't afford it. That goes back to the economy.

4th and 5th anniversary gifts are nice and very much welcomed. They're just recolored objects that I already have.

Having all cities in one location is also great! No negatives there!

G

<blockquote><hr>

It could be because I've been playing for 2 days in TC3, but I like it. I have a whole 1505 simoleons right now and will have more before the nights out. The challenge of getting enough to buy a lot and the excitement of already being half way there is exciting. (sorry, couldn't read the post. I have a short attention span. But the challenge should keep the game going, i think)

[/ QUOTE ]

As a primarily TC3 player myself, I agree wholeheartedly. TC3 is a whole different environment, where the attitudes in general are lighter, and the lag is not nearly as bad, but everything else exactly the same. That tells me that player outlook has as much to do with happiness in general as the circumstances around them does. I have tried spending significant chunks of time in EAL, but between the lag and the dronings, it was plain to see in a short amount of time why some players were so miserable if they stayed in that environment very long, so I hightailed it and went back to TC3, and will play EAL when I'm playing late at night, which hopefully since less sims play at that time, the lag won't be so bad and I will be able to navigate toward the more positive crowds, and can stick with them if/when I do decide to try playing in EAL extensively again, which will help make the lag and such more bearable.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess people aren't really getting why I wrote this. I, like everyone else, want to see this game succeed. I only see positive actions coming from this article. I addressed what's wrong and now it's time to fix it. If I wanted this game to fail, I probably wouldnt be still paying 10$ a month.

I do understand that this has been discussed in many thread, thats why I confined it to one article. If you don't want to read it, then don't. Many people will find this entertaining and a good read. If you don't that's fantastic too.

[/ QUOTE ]

You haven't addressed anything that hasn't been addressed 900 times before in the last 8 month, so I don't know why you think just because *you* addressed it that it will get fixed any faster than it already is, which is as fast as it can be. I'm sorry you didn't see the harm that could come from this article, but I hope from the reactions that it has solicited, that now you do, and that maybe you will do some revision of it before it is 'published' to whatever extent it will be, and will see fit to interject some positivity into the article, addressing some of the things that players DO LIKE about what is going on, because as far as I am concerned, if you can't find anything positive to say then you are biased, which totally devalues anything you say as a reporter, unless you are an editorial writer, which is NOT how your article comes off......if this was an editorial then you would have said "This is why *I think* EA Land will fail". Stating your opinions as facts just comes off as pompous and arrogant, in spite of what your intentions might have been. If you do care as you say you do, then a request such as this shouldn't be any big deal, since it is in the best interest of the community, and of the game as a whole.

D

dirndingle

Now name calling too. Jeepers. And you call HIM pompous and arrogant?

He asked for other "opinions" at the end of his post.

That is an indicator that he also views his own statements as opinion as well, even though you're doing your best to paint things otherwise.

All part of the character assassination, I suppose.

He asked for your opinion about the topic, and all you've provided is your personal (attack) opinion of him.

Suggestion - if, when someone voices opinions you find aggravating or repetitive, don't read. If you can muster the will power to not dive in and make assumptions and name call. Otherwise, you deserve the aggravation for loudly and abrasively making yourself part of something which you claim irritates you.

S

Sean Kendrick

<blockquote><hr>

You haven't addressed anything that hasn't been addressed 900 times before in the last 8 month, so I don't know why you think just because *you* addressed it that it will get fixed any faster than it already is, which is as fast as it can be. I'm sorry you didn't see the harm that could come from this article, but I hope from the reactions that it has solicited, that now you do, and that maybe you will do some revision of it before it is 'published' to whatever extent it will be,

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not going to edit out portions that you or other people don't like. I love this game just like everyone else and I want to see nothing but good things. Pointing out the flaws is the only way to fix it.

<blockquote><hr>

and will see fit to interject some positivity into the article, addressing some of the things that players DO LIKE about what is going on, because as far as I am concerned, if you can't find anything positive to say then you are biased,

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't an article about what all shines and sparkles in EAL. I made this article intentionally to address the negative for a positive outcome. I would be biased if I were to say there's "nothing good in EAL" or "everything in EAL sucks." Which is not the reason why I created this article. (read posts above)

<blockquote><hr>

which totally devalues anything you say as a reporter, unless you are an editorial writer, which is NOT how your article comes off......if this was an editorial then you would have said "This is why *I think* EA Land will fail". ,

[/ QUOTE ]

I provided enough evidence to state my claim. That dosen't mean that this game can't be turned around.

<blockquote><hr>

Stating your opinions as facts just comes off as pompous and arrogant, in spite of what your intentions might have been. If you do care as you say you do, then a request such as this shouldn't be any big deal, since it is in the best interest of the community, and of the game as a whole.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, I'm not going to do what you say to prove that I care. I already stated my intentions. I dont see how you can decide what's "in the best interest of the community" or the game. I show my love for EAL differently than you. I point out the negative for the better while you argue that my article isn't sufficient enough. I have yet to see you type something in agreement with the article. Do you see EAL as perfect?

G

<blockquote><hr>

That is an indicator that he also views his own statements as opinion as well, even though you're doing your best to paint things otherwise.

He asked for your opinion about the topic, and all you've provided is your personal (attack) opinion of him.

Suggestion - if, when someone voices opinions you find aggravating or repetitive, don't read. If you can muster the will power to not dive in and make assumptions and name call. Otherwise, you deserve the aggravation for loudly and abrasively making yourself part of something which you claim irritates you.

[/ QUOTE ]

He has been given opinions on the subject matter too, that it is far too concentrated on the negatives and not enough on the positives....and yeah, later on he acknowledged that these were just his opinions, but as was stated by several others, the post was so long that many people just skimmed it after reading the title that said 'this why this WILL happen', so the title is misleading if it was meant to be an editorial. That's not the fault of the reader for not picking up on it, that's the responsibility of the journalist to make it clear, concise and to the point. Even putting in bold at the top of the article "Disclaimer: The following is an editorial and therefore the opinions of the writer only, NOT to be interpreted as factual", it would have served the same purpose, but he didn't explain that until he got called on stating his opinions as facts....again, that's not our fault as readers for not being able to read his mind or his intentions, IMO.

G

guilianox

He has his right to state the negatives. Who are you to say that he has not spoken enough "positives."

D

dirndingle

Do you provide a disclaimer that your every opinion is not fact?

Isn't it inherently assumed that we are all espousing opinions here, unless we quote a dev or something? And even dev quotes are open to interpretation.

I read his post too, yet somehow I didn't come away with negative feelings about the poster. I don't agree with him on everything, to be sure, but i am not going to start calling him names for posting what were obviously opinions.

Sounds to me like you just need an excuse to rail on someone, in the form of "you're presenting opinion as fact", which is a non-issue, since it's something we all do, every day of our lives.

G

Umm...yeah.

Well we could still be in the dark ages

This game is far better than the old one, no matter how many bugs. When it's finished, it'll be even better.

***I'm not saying anything bad at all, but I do wonder if it would have been easier for Luc and team to start on a clean slate. Maybe it would be easier for them?***

G

I like a little devil's advocate! It's the way success is made people, we have to be able to step back and say what is wrong with the direction we are headed in and what is beneficial about it? This is the only way we will be able to adapt and evolve into a game that players truly enjoy. I agree with almost all of the points made in this article, and its up to us to keep pointing them out so the Devs are aware, this is what they're asking us to do.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

He has been given opinions on the subject matter too, that it is far too concentrated on the negatives and not enough on the positives....and yeah, later on he acknowledged that these were just his opinions, but as was stated by several others, the post was so long that many people just skimmed it after reading the title that said 'this why this WILL happen', so the title is misleading if it was meant to be an editorial. That's not the fault of the reader for not picking up on it, that's the responsibility of the journalist to make it clear, concise and to the point. Even putting in bold at the top of the article "Disclaimer: The following is an editorial and therefore the opinions of the writer only, NOT to be interpreted as factual", it would have served the same purpose, but he didn't explain that until he got called on stating his opinions as facts....again, that's not our fault as readers for not being able to read his mind or his intentions, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]
CBrewton, you are ignorant in so many ways in which I can't express on this board. To be frank, I think your wanting of EALand to be such a success is only blinding you from seeing the other side, the negative. This was not suppose to be a post, it was a submission on HIS blog. Not to satisfy the people whose intelligence level prevents them from reading more then two paragraphs. The title is not misleading, he is pointing out keys to his argument, which in fact are his opinion. There is no disclaimer needed to tell you this is not a fact. Mr. Hill is not a negative man and his next article will be how/why EAland will survive, which I believe will be a fairly positive article for the cheerleaders out there.

G

I to think that this game will fail unless the devs are willing to admit to themselves that they have made some mistakes in their new game design.
I am not going to go through the many negatives I have about what is wrong with their design. I know from experience that is very much a waste of time.
I will say this though, it is my opinion that the devs should be praised for what they are trying to do. They are trying more than just to save this game, they are trying to build it to what it’s potentially should have been. Their ideas for the game I think are great, it’s their implementation of it that really shows a lack of professionalism.
For instants I cannot think of a single addition or update to the game in recent times that has not been full of bugs. Many of which still remain unaddressed. Thank god these guys aren’t the professionals working on our real life banking systems.
I was a professional at a high level in the field of database management. I not only worked in the field I consulted at a high level to it. With what I have seen with this company, or atleast the devs in EA Land these guys have no idea about database management. For the amount of time they take to implement changes and the amount of bugs that come from the changes, I am almost completely certain that they are writing lengthy scripts in whatever language the game is using to make those changes.
That approach to database manipulation except for something that would be continually used, as in changes that will be continually made in game. That approach is lengthy, costly and almost always full of errors. One time changes can be dome so much quicker using tools such as foxpro to import the data, make the changes and export it back. The changes can be done in a fraction of the time using the power of a program designed specifically for that purpose. This is fact, if they are like I think they are, making scripts in a language such as VB or C++ to manipulate the databases, they are taking weeks to do something that could be done in a matter of hours. Not only that it explains why there are so many errors.
They are also continually leaving doors open for exploitation that anyone who has played the game enough to know what goes on can find in a matter of minutes. A more professional approach would see that happen far less.
Yes there has been a lot of complaints come through these posts, but I think even the devs would have to agree they are giving us a lot to complain about.

G

It is my opinion that if EA Land fails, it will be because of all the "greedy people" who play, that got the economy into the mess it was that made the devs have to try to correct the economy in the first place. There has been too much of real life put into this game which is supposed to be a fantasy world, and that was the whole reason I started playing in the first place, and to be able to interact with other people from all over the world and make new friends. Right now, it is so hard to be able to make any money to feel like you are playing in a fantasy world. Payouts get lowered on money objects, just when you think, "oh good, I can make a descent payout by doing this so I can make my house and property the way I want it". Then the pay for working gets cut so low that it's not worth wasting your time going to sim work, you don't even make enough simoleons to feed your own sim(s), much less feed any guests that might happen to land on your property. Next comes the lag, which keeps your sim from being able to even get to work on time, so you miss the first round of your shift, not to mention the lag causing many sim deaths at the robot factory, and all the machines breaking down at once, kind of makes you feel like you are being forced to buy simoleons to be able to play the game the way you want to play, and be a good host to your guests. I refuse to pay rl money for simoleons when I am already paying a fee every month to play this game. I know, I know, all this stuff has been mentioned before, and it needs to keep being mentioned so that eventually someone will understand that the game isn't on track, and I am not placing the blame on the devs, because I really feel they are doing the best they can, it just seems like to me there is a lack of understanding as to how the game should be played and the way we are being forced to play it at the present. That's all I have to say for now, and that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I to think that this game will fail unless the devs are willing to admit to themselves that they have made some mistakes in their new game design.
I am not going to go through the many negatives I have about what is wrong with their design. I know from experience that is very much a waste of time.
I will say this though, it is my opinion that the devs should be praised for what they are trying to do. They are trying more than just to save this game, they are trying to build it to what it’s potentially should have been. Their ideas for the game I think are great, it’s their implementation of it that really shows a lack of professionalism.
For instants I cannot think of a single addition or update to the game in recent times that has not been full of bugs. Many of which still remain unaddressed. Thank god these guys aren’t the professionals working on our real life banking systems.
I was a professional at a high level in the field of database management. I not only worked in the field I consulted at a high level to it. With what I have seen with this company, or atleast the devs in EA Land these guys have no idea about database management. For the amount of time they take to implement changes and the amount of bugs that come from the changes, I am almost completely certain that they are writing lengthy scripts in whatever language the game is using to make those changes.
That approach to database manipulation except for something that would be continually used, as in changes that will be continually made in game. That approach is lengthy, costly and almost always full of errors. One time changes can be dome so much quicker using tools such as foxpro to import the data, make the changes and export it back. The changes can be done in a fraction of the time using the power of a program designed specifically for that purpose. This is fact, if they are like I think they are, making scripts in a language such as VB or C++ to manipulate the databases, they are taking weeks to do something that could be done in a matter of hours. Not only that it explains why there are so many errors.
They are also continually leaving doors open for exploitation that anyone who has played the game enough to know what goes on can find in a matter of minutes. A more professional approach would see that happen far less.
Yes there has been a lot of complaints come through these posts, but I think even the devs would have to agree they are giving us a lot to complain about.

[/ QUOTE ]
Great post, I'd love to see a dev respond to this, to answer his assumptions.

P

Purdy

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

The developers of The Sims blame EA for the failure of the game. I copied this quote from Don Hopkins blog:

I don't believe it was ineptitude at the engineering or design level, but more likely at the executive management, resource allocation and marketing level. My impression is that some of the people in charge didn't believe in Will's vision, didn't trust him, didn't listen to him, didn't do what he's been saying for years, all along. I wish EA would have taken some of the millions of dollars they made from The Sims 1, and invested it back in fully developing The Sims Online, instead of sucking it out of Maxis to support the rest of EA."

I agree the developers should be praised in trying to turn this situation around and salvage what little is left of TSO. EA should try to salvage they're reputation in ruining a potentionally great game. The company has enough resources and like Don Hopkins even said - they should take some of the money that Sims makes and start putting it where it belongs - with TSO or EA-Land or whatever they are trying to make of TSO.

G

Has beta testing changed that much? The whole point of a beta is to point out the flaws and keep them relevant until such flaws are fixed. That's the point of a beta, at lease it was when I beta tested UO. Has that changed? Are we not supposed to point out the problems, but just sit back saying "Good job guys, keep up the great work"? Then how will they know whether or not something has been fixed? Sure, there are numerous posts about the flaws in the game, but if people stop talking about them, they become irrevelant and buried and thought of as "not very important at this time" because no one's complaining about it.

I liked the article, I don't think he came off as arrogant and its obvious, when you read the entire thing, that it IS all just opinion, you don't need a disclaimer to figure that out.

However, you need both the "rah rahs" and the "nyah nyahs". "Rah rahs" keep the Dev's morale up, "Nyah nyahs" keep the issues relevant to better the game.

<font color="red"> DISCLAIMER </font>: These are my opinions, nothing more.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Has beta testing changed that much? The whole point of a beta is to point out the flaws and keep them relevant until such flaws are fixed. That's the point of a beta, at lease it was when I beta tested UO. Has that changed? Are we not supposed to point out the problems, but just sit back saying "Good job guys, keep up the great work"? Then how will they know whether or not something has been fixed? Sure, there are numerous posts about the flaws in the game, but if people stop talking about them, they become irrevelant and buried and thought of as "not very important at this time" because no one's complaining about it.

I liked the article, I don't think he came off as arrogant and its obvious, when you read the entire thing, that it IS all just opinion, you don't need a disclaimer to figure that out.

However, you need both the "rah rahs" and the "nyah nyahs". "Rah rahs" keep the Dev's morale up, "Nyah nyahs" keep the issues relevant to better the game.

<font color="red"> DISCLAIMER </font>: These are my opinions, nothing more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well said young lady!!

N

NightFlyer

"Great post, I'd love to see a dev respond to this, to answer his assumptions."

Not gonna happen so don't hold your breath. I have given up on expecting any answers from devs myself.

G

<blockquote><hr>

"Great post, I'd love to see a dev respond to this, to answer his assumptions."

Not gonna happen so don't hold your breath. I have given up on expecting any answers from devs myself.

[/ QUOTE ]
They usually do, but when it comes to responding to criticism they are the first to shy away. So you maybe right, but I'll keep hope alive this time will be different.

C

Cruz Cavera

People like you are never happy. If you think it will fail, pack up and leave. We all wanted updates and changes. I am pretty sure you were one of them, so stop complaining, Lee and all the other Devs are working very hard, and who are you to come and say, "This is my opinon on why EA Land will fail." i had a chat with Lee, he says he goes into the office at 7am and doesn't leave til 10pm. Then when the weekend comes.. He is still working, up to 7 hours a day. You need to get over the past because we are no longer apart of the Sims Franchise. This isn't TSO anymore, if you don't like the game then there I am sure there is another one out there. And no, before you get all pissy. I am not being all uptight and chewing you out. I have just had enough of people saying stuff like this.

S

Sean Kendrick

<blockquote><hr>

People like you are never happy. If you think it will fail, pack up and leave. We all wanted updates and changes. I am pretty sure you were one of them, so stop complaining, Lee and all the other Devs are working very hard, and who are you to come and say, "This is my opinon on why EA Land will fail."

[/ QUOTE ]

Guys, if you're going to attack me please read all my posts first. First, you don't know me so it's kind of hard for me to believe that I'm never happy. Yes I was one who wanted updates and changes but I wont stand for mediocre changes. And yes, I think if we continue in the same path that EAL will fail. But I'm not one to give up on something I love. I don't see my article as a big complaint, more of a big to do list. And who am I to come to a forum and state my opinion? A player of EAL who deserves just as much say as you or anyone else who pays.

<blockquote><hr>

i had a chat with Lee, he says he goes into the office at 7am and doesn't leave til 10pm. Then when the weekend comes.. He is still working, up to 7 hours a day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you trying to prove something? We all work. I appreciate all the devs dedication to EAL.

<blockquote><hr>

You need to get over the past because we are no longer apart of the Sims Franchise. This isn't TSO anymore, if you don't like the game then there I am sure there is another one out there. And no, before you get all pissy. I am not being all uptight and chewing you out. I have just had enough of people saying stuff like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure you are chewing me out. But we all have a right to our opinions, right?

C

Cruz Cavera

It's not an opinon, it's you complaining and telling the Devs how to they should do their job and saying all their hard work will hit the fan. It's Beta and we are transitioning from TSO into EA-Land. It's not all going to go perfect.

G

<blockquote><hr>

It's not an opinon, it's you complaining and telling the Devs how to they should do their job and saying all their hard work will hit the fan. It's Beta and we are transitioning from TSO into EA-Land. It's not all going to go perfect.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, it's not - but a little less imperfection would be nice.

G

i would say what good are all those hours worked if you got no results that most ppl are happy about

with the exception of the cheerleaders of course

i read his post and to me it appears spot on

C

Cruz Cavera

Right, but would you rather have imperfection or nothing at all. This game would be gone if the Devs didn't show up.

C

Cruz Cavera

No results, lmao. Have you been in a hole for the past 3 months?

G

<blockquote><hr>

Right, but would you rather have imperfection or nothing at all. This game would be gone if the Devs didn't show up.

[/ QUOTE ]
The devs *did* show up, and the game *is* gone.

This is a different one.
And it's seriously flawed.
And they won't talk to us.
And we're getting frustrated.
And players are beginning to leave.

Imperfection due to some minor flaws is one thing.
But due to a whole host of major problems is something else again.

C

Cruz Cavera

I am a frustrated player to, Donovan. Lee said give the game 2 months.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a different one.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree, there are results some really good, and some just really bad. They do talk to us, we have the Town Hall, which hasn't been open recently for some reason. The game isn't seriously flawed,the bugs can be fixed easily. We are getting frustrated, and there are some players who have no patience who have left.

G

I am hoping after the merges things will pan out and the aspecs of the game that we dont like right now will be ironed out. it just seems the past few weeks all they have been working on are the merges and problems with servers because of the merges. im sure they are also working on many things that we will see in game soon

S

Sean Kendrick

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds fair.

C

Cruz Cavera

Yes, they are. I was in Logically Boards Baby last night and Lee was there. He was saying next to fix is some fancy word. But basically to fix a delay when clicking and then the Lag will be next.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying *I* am leaving - I have already stated that I'm going to stick around at least until after the merges.
My point is that people are frustrated and angry at being "ignored".
Without knowing something of the devs plans, there is no way to evaluate if the game is going to be worth the wait.
Some of us will stick around out of faith, hope, or whatever - but others will simply move on to something else. And with us teetering on the edge already, the loss of those 'others' may be the final nail in the coffin.
If we can't make the numbers, the suits will cut us loose.

G

Just my two cents (since we're not allowed to add our two simoleans anymore, hahaha)

I think the surest way to ensure the game's failure is to tar 'n' feather as traitors to the crown anyone who dares to point out that the king might be naked...

permission granted to quote that in your newspaper

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a different one.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree, there are results some really good, and some just really bad. They do talk to us, we have the Town Hall, which hasn't been open recently for some reason. The game isn't seriously flawed,the bugs can be fixed easily. We are getting frustrated, and there are some players who have no patience who have left.

[/ QUOTE ]
The game is seriously flawed because the bugs - which can be easily fixed - are not.

C

Cruz Cavera

I understand Donovan. Trust me. This game will eventually level out.

G

For instants I cannot think of a single addition or update to the game in recent times that has not been full of bugs. Many of which still remain unaddressed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

A laptop computer got stuck to my hand. I couldn't get it off, lol. Well someone told me how to, but I thought it was kind of wierd.

G

Just read some more of the posts here and maybe this will make the problems easier to deal with: The changes kind of seems like putting a jigsaw puzzle together. It gets real messy before it gets completed. But once it's completed, wow!

K

knotter02

<blockquote><hr>

I couldnt take the time to read it. I have books shorter than this post. Was afraid my simmie would time out.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL ok you brought tears to my eyes from laughing so hard! i didnt want to take the time to read that either i would probably fall asleep because reading novals makes me sleepy! <font color="red"> zzzzzzzz </font>