• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Things we miss ..

• Thread starter imported_BladeBard
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_BladeBard

"So many changes over the years" we chuckled over a few beers.
Me and a few UO friends were reminiscing about changes we would like to see taken out.
Feel free to add to the list!!!

BONDING - took away a tamers living and income... took away from the fun of trading at the bank.
RECALLING/GATING INTO OTHER FACETS - we lost the fun of having to do mad dash gate runs in Fel.
MOONSTONES - hunting for them just so we didnt have to to mad gate runs.
CUSTOMISED HOUSING - took away ones ego status in the game, housing was a status level, and designs were more creative with decoration.
NIGHT SIGHT ITEMS - took away the nostalgia of castle lighting etc,

Im sure you'll think of more!!!

I

imported_Aspen Darkfire

Sory i couldnt help but post :p i would just like to say "LOL" to Sneaky :p

Howdy to all btw

I

imported_Aspen Darkfire

LOLOL yes yes just a name... =D (isnt rude :p) how have you all been?

G

"BONDING - took away a tamers living and income... took away from the fun of trading at the bank."

I second that. I used to enjoy going out and taming a string of mounts and bringing them back to market. I have a char that still sells animals, but not nearly as much as back then (about 30 ostards/llamas a night).

Hmm, thinking..

VANQS - Used to like the old weapon and armour descriptions. Stuff like "an exceedingly accurate silver axe of power", instead of the math spam you get now. Also, those items were simply called "a magic axe" until you Item ID'd them with a wand or the skill. It seemed more plausible that magic items were a mystery until properly examined. It also meant looting monsters wasn't such a brain-dead item-farming exercise as you had to periodically stop & check what you had was worth hauling home or chucking.

CORPSE RECOVERY - It was almost an artform to get back to your corpse and recover your possessions before someone else got to them & without getting killed again. Now pretty much everything of worth is insured or blessed, and most people have no idea how to cope if they drop something important. Having to get back to your body added a sense of substance to actual dying.

STEALING - Aside from sigils, it's virtually worthless now. I mean in the pvp sense, picking crap off the floor isn't stealing.

POPULATION - Just the dwindling number of people still playing since AoS, makes things a little too small-town.

CRAFTING - Pre-pub14, there were actual procedures you had to learn to craft something & it felt more like you were involved somehow. Now it's all push-button automation. While I like being able to make 10-off etc, the interface is very cold and generic. Cooking, for example, is more like making microwave dinners.

More to add but I have to leave it at that, for now.

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Sory i couldnt help but post :p i would just like to say "LOL" to Sneaky :p

Howdy to all btw

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL? ok.. lol

I

imported_Mezzac

For me it is two things:

1. The lack of Community Spirit. Today, for the most part it is all about money and whats in it for me. Yes, you have a few people out there doing their very best to build Community, however I remember a time when that was what the game was all about - you could not grow unless you have a guild around you all working together. Today most people can &amp; do solo (even peerless!) In the past there was always someone there to give a helping hand. If I started this game today, i'm not sure it would have the same pulling power as it did at the very beginning all those 10 years ago

2 Trammel - was an easy answer for a number of complex issues to do with housing shortage / non-consensual PvP etc. Not sure it was the best option though as it has done more to split the community than any other change.

I

imported_Mezzac

<blockquote><hr>

CORPSE RECOVERY - It was almost an artform to get back to your corpse and recover your possessions before someone else got to them &amp; without getting killed again. Now pretty much everything of worth is insured or blessed, and most people have no idea how to cope if they drop something important. Having to get back to your body added a sense of substance to actual dying.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember in the early days Mezzac was a 'hired gun' - anywhere / anytime corpse recovery. There was no place I could not go and most time get out in one piece. Was even able evade the occassional RED that would come along mid-mission. Ahh, those were the days - sit of your pants FEL dungeon treking going grey looting the clients corpse and getting out alive

G

What do I miss...... I had a run today for the first time in about a month, it was ok but honestly, I miss enjoying the game.

I just don't enjoy it as much as I used to. My account finally runs out in February and unless something severely happens to make UO great again, I don't think I'll reactivate it.

G

*points to Stumpy*

Add that fella to the list of things I miss..

I

imported_JediSith

I Miss Morri, Avenger and Squirrel.....

Please come back stay away from grinding along in wow....

You can always grind away in UO like you did before...

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

I'd also miss JediSith if he'd bloody go away first..

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

I

imported_JediSith

Never.... this keeps me in the loop..... off to Belfast today... can't wait mmmmm more beer and whisky

G

i miss the days where there was accually some fear in traveling alone and where one step out into the wild could mean danger of loosing your life and your possessions. I also miss the fact that everything used to mean something now its all gold and arti orientated back yonder aka pre LBR a normal axe or even great axe was common to see on someone running around something that was looted off a creature now there is more artis on ppl than non arties. I miss the fact noone cares about the world anymore where back then events were ment to be fun and people came out of the woodworks to save a town or defeat a monster from ravaging the local suroundings caus they cared for them now its all oooo im going to kill it first to get the rare before anyone else or ooo im going to help it destroy the city so i can get the rubble and sell it for millions of pixelated cash. Ah the days of pre trammel they were fun days noone winged about being ganked or resorted to flaming or trolling someone all they did was put a contract out on the killer if they could afford it or preach to the kindness of the community to slay the villins who slew him or her and few dared to travel alone. These were the days where obtaining just one rare accually ment something and sometimes it wasent even a rare just a small uncommon object considered spoils or a treasure of triamph. How i miss those days and how i miss the community spirit though i long for them again i feel a strong sence in my heart that those days are long gone and shall never return.

F

five oclock

I miss the days before champ hunts. Now its like oo someone is hunting dragons MUSt be doing a champ lets gank em.

or when ya thought twice about about going in alone to despise. Not for the monsters..but for the Red or reds that might be hidding in there.

Aye also tram. yeah lets get rid of tram. Also get rid of power scrolls and stat scrolls/ champ hunts...

Fun days just going in with friends wondering if we were going to come out alive..NOT for champs..just for the thrill of the kill...

G

1) I miss community spirit, although I am seeing it make a come back now which is fantastic.

2) I miss old friends and role play......some of my old friends have left the game and its just not as rich without them. I also miss role play even on the most basic level I hate going to the bank and hearing "yo whats up dog" as apposed to "hail and well met what have thy been doing today?".

3) Player run events - but again making a come back so I am happy

4) More then one auction house - I loved going to all the auctions and getting bargains because there was competition.]

5) The joy in housing.....I remember when I first started playing UO it took me awhile to get my first tower and I was so excited by my small stone tower that I did not care that I could barely swing a cat I was just happy to have something that was mine that I earned.........now new players do not take joy in the small houses they all want 18 x 18 or castles or keeps and it has just lost its appeal and meaning to me.

6) The cities being used......I really miss going to cities and seeing people or passing them on the way everyone recalls and gates and sacred journeys hardly anyone uses the roads. And the only cities used are Luna and New Haven.

S

siyeng0

<blockquote><hr>

I hate going to the bank and hearing "yo whats up dog" as apposed to "hail and well met what have thy been doing today?".

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this comment. However, I would also wince if somebody inquired "what have thy been doing today?", as "thy" means "your."

On the other hand, if I got, "What hast thou been doing today?" that would make me a happy lich.
*teh mediavahl*

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

I hate going to the bank and hearing "yo whats up dog" as apposed to "hail and well met what have thy been doing today?".

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this comment. However, I would also wince if somebody inquired "what have thy been doing today?", as "thy" means "your."

On the other hand, if I got, "What hast thou been doing today?" that would make me a happy lich.
*teh mediavahl*

[/ QUOTE ]

*POKES HER TONGUE OUT*

C

Cymoril

While there are several things about the game that have changed for the worse, I mostly miss my own ignorance. Finding all these new monsters I'd never fought and places I'd never visited. The first time I visited Dagger Isle I was SO excited. I used to ask people to gate me there so that I could see the polar bears, and I started the "Polar Bear Protection League". It got so that friends of mine would have to axe their Polar Bear rugs before I would even enter their homes.

Err... that was a bit off track, but yes, even though I learn new stuff all the time even now, I miss the times when I really knew nothing, and EVERYTHING was new and undiscovered.

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

*teh mediavahl*

[/ QUOTE ]haha, a valid point, although a big part of me would also rejoice in seeing some effort!

You know, this thread has given me an idea... which may or may not ever come to anything, haha

C

Cymoril

<blockquote><hr>

Trammel... :p

[/ QUOTE ]I also tend to agree with this these days. Though I'm not sure what the overall impact would be if they did that right now. They could still keep Malas as a massive housing and shopping district, as no-one hunts there anyway (Crystal Elementals, joy!), and meh, they could always move Doom.

A well-thought out statement there if ever there was one!

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeh I would be for the idea of making Malas the only Trammel ruleset and getting rid of the original Trammel completely and renaming Fel to Britannia Also making the other facets (Ilsh and Tok) fel ruleset. Corse thats not gonna happen but eh.

I

imported_barjunkie

<blockquote><hr>

<font color="red">Stat Gains! </font>

I hate em and wish they would go back the old way!

Remember the days when you met a "Master" who had reached 90 skill and thought him a true legend?

Remember the days when you were out in a party and would hear "Wow I just got a .1 Parry Increase...Im almost 70!"

How about queueing up at Britain Blacksmiths for a Grandmaster Smith to make you a weapon or armour? These days we all have them!

Now we can all GM in a day instead of 6 Months, which was changed to cater for the young who have little patience and want to be running about with Legend characters after a week.

<font color="red">Bring back the slow stat increase days I say!</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Now there is a face i havnt seen in a long time *waves*

i tend to agree with stumpy before i stopped playing UO i missed actually enjoying the game id send most of my time at luna bank waiting for someone interesting to come and talk crap with because there wasnt anyting else to do mainly due to the lack of players

F

five oclock

<blockquote><hr>

<font color="red">Stat Gains! </font>

I hate em and wish they would go back the old way!

Remember the days when you met a "Master" who had reached 90 skill and thought him a true legend?

Remember the days when you were out in a party and would hear "Wow I just got a .1 Parry Increase...Im almost 70!"

How about queueing up at Britain Blacksmiths for a Grandmaster Smith to make you a weapon or armour? These days we all have them!

Now we can all GM in a day instead of 6 Months, which was changed to cater for the young who have little patience and want to be running about with Legend characters after a week.

<font color="red">Bring back the slow stat increase days I say!</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I so remember those days. On one hand I miss them. On the other I hated them. For it took me forever to GM blacksmithy..but I still have that char. LOl but the fun there was to be at the north blacksmithy shop with other palyers just talking..watching newbies bring zombies down from the graveyard calling out guards help me.

G

*chuckles*
You reminded me of my early days when hubby and i both had accounts, and we'd go join a few others to kill the lich at moonglow graveyard. That was such a triumphant event!! And the crystal balls from them! i was so proud of my collection! hehe good times

F

five oclock

aye LOL..

OOO yeah crystal balls! I still have a few of them here and there in me home...Gosh I wish they would come back. they were fun to have around...

another thing I miss I guess

G

I lost them all, i lost everything actually, unforseen circumstances and yeah
worse thing was my whispering rose. and hubbys. (brother facasor (sp?) was his main then)
Ive managed to get 2 crystal balls since ive been back

G

<blockquote><hr>

While there are several things about the game that have changed for the worse, I mostly miss my own ignorance. Finding all these new monsters I'd never fought and places I'd never visited. The first time I visited Dagger Isle I was SO excited. I used to ask people to gate me there so that I could see the polar bears, and I started the "Polar Bear Protection League". It got so that friends of mine would have to axe their Polar Bear rugs before I would even enter their homes.

Err... that was a bit off track, but yes, even though I learn new stuff all the time even now, I miss the times when I really knew nothing, and EVERYTHING was new and undiscovered.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with that, I can remember walking all over sosaria and getting into so much trouble especially near swamps (saphire now has a swamp phobia) but it was simply because when I first started I didn't know better no one handed me a rune book I didn't even know they existed I walked around for many days just exploring on my own.......the lionheart found me and that is a man who has no concept of this person is a newbie I remember doing doom and all sorts of nasty dungeon hunts and I could barely throw a flame.

But again because I had no clue what he was taking me into I was up for it and had loads of fun.....I also had no concept of insurance back then so always went back for my body.

I just miss the excitement you felt walking from town to town and encountering things along the way........oh and the sheer joy of picking up little things like regs on the ground man I would not have survived those first few days without those hehehe.

D

Dalecti

hahaha, listen to all these trams reminisce about 'the good old days'.

you trams and your ilk are the ones that put an end to 'the good old days' by whining about how unfair it was. you didnt want, as you so wistfully claim now, to be scared of going into despise because of the reds that might be in there - you wanted to be able to farm with impunity, to sit there and bash monster after mindless, boring monster, so you could stock your keeps and tram castles with piles of useless loot.

you made you bed when you cried for trammel to be made, now lie in it.

YOU killed the game. YOU killed the community by having it cut literally in half, so you could be 'safe' - thus ruining the entire point of this game. youve got all the rewards you want, but theres no risk - and youre having no fun as a result.

G

Now wait just a cotten pickin minute there dalecti. You cant go blaming us personally for the whole trammel thing. The way you and others carry on its like EA listened to about 5 of us oceanians and added in trammel?
(who can pick the irony there?) Thats not the case is it? NO ONE here is to blame for the changes.

Its you and your ilk that carry on in such a manner that kills community spirit etc not the handfull of us that you blame for the downfall of brittania, who mind you are trying to bring things back.

BTW if your so community minded then why arnt you part of any of the RP or event guilds? hrmm? Although ill give you half a credit for 1.
You smack talk and act like a doofus and deter people from wanting to go to fel thats your bed. hope you got clean sheets.
Hahaha now listen to this felly trying to sound all high and mighty and failing

BTW2 If you are so against everything thats here (besides the dead trees and gravestones) then dont let the door hit you on the way out. Your the one paying for the account and spending time playing it. Either suck it up and have fun like the rest of us or quit. Simple.

D

Dalecti

no, i mean trams as a 'species' of game player. also known as 'care bears' in other online games. (hence my "and your ilk" line). NOT just the 5 or so oceanian trams that were around at that time. instead of learning how to play, instead of coming to grips and coming to terms with the way the predators played, they chose complaining, helping ea/origin make the ridiculous decisions of spltting the community in half, and then trying to copy the then market leader, everquest, by introducing content and items that didnt not fit the game world.

not all the issues with this game are the fault of this demographic - in fact very few - but the single most important thing most certainly is - the creation of trammel.

if trammel was ditched, youd see this game liven up substantially.

G

Yes, but you kept saying YOU YOU YOU YOU YOU!. did you ever stop to think that some of us "trammies" specially here on oceania lurk around the trammel facets cause thats where everyone else is? Some people like interaction plus the whole doom ilsh heardwood factor aswell.
Theres some of us that played before it was brought in yet still get lumped in the "trammie" catagories Even if we go to or live in fel we still get called trammies. So no matter what any one does we cant win.
I do a bulk of my vendor shopping in fel and only a couple of times ive run into someone when using the faction vedors in trinsic let alone anywhere else i go, so its not like its a bustling area for people to go to.
The rest of us can suffer quietly and reminise on the 'good old days' happily why cant you mate?
Catch more flies with honey then vinigar

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Haha yeh its not like Trinsic is a hive of activity in Trammel either ya know... in fact I would say that just because of the faction vendors alone fel trinny and probably many of the fel towns are more frequented than their trammel versions. On Oceania anyways.

As far as I see it, just as a guess the most visited facets in order on Oceania would be...

1. Malas
2. Fel
3. Fel t2a
4. Tram
5. Ilsh
6. Tok
7. Tram t2a

Maybe swap Tram and Fel t2a, or tram and ilsh, i dunno. But I reckon thats probably accurate, I can 99.999% assure you I got number 6 and 7 right anyways (the only reason I put Tok higher is because people have houses there lol) :p

G

Does it really matter? either way of the story theres no reason for any of us to not reminise about things we enjoyed years ago and today for that fact rather then dwell on the things that make us unhappy now

I

imported_KvHokuto

I feel the same. Trams made the game the way it is with all their whining and crying, I HATE what the Ultima Online playerbase has become and what they've done to my favourite game ever.

It's only taken them what, 6 years? to figure out that their lame risk-free playstyle is what's killing UO? I was here for the birth of oceania and I'll be there when it goes down, only next time I'll be laughing and savouring all the trammelite tears like fine wine lol.

Notice all the most populated shards are now FEL-only?

G

<blockquote><hr>

Does it really matter? either way of the story theres no reason for any of us to not reminise about things we enjoyed years ago and today for that fact rather then dwell on the things that make us unhappy now

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree there is alot to be thankful for and alot that is still very much enjoyable about the game you just have to open up your mind a little and maybe try something different or create your own joy. I still have an awesome time playing and interacting with my friends and other members of the community.

I think UO is the best game ever changes included. And I for one will not be leaving any time soon and I will not be crying over any changes that are made as I assume them to be made after the bigger voice of the community is heard and are made with the best interests of the game involved. If life hands you lemons make lemonaid...or sit with a sour face thats your choice really.

I do not mind reminiscing how ever I hate that some seem to not be able to do it without chucking tantrums and bashing other people who have a different player style to them. The thread was about what you missed not who you blamed and what you hated it was about sentimental and non sentimental things you missed about the game not a flame war.

G

well said

but i must add one more thing i miss all the old people i once knew hmmm where did i leave that recall scroll i might be able to get them back hehee

F

five oclock

Side note...whats funny is this. UO has changed alot over the years. ALOT. Some for the good some for the not so good. Thy only thing that has never changed or ever will, Is the trolling and the flaming and the trying to ruffle some feathers on a pixle board about a pixle game. Thats been going on since day one. And will be going on until the end of times.

Now back to UO. heres my comment on that. 1 not every player has a stratics account. heck I played for a good 4 to 5 years before even jumping onto stratics. 2 To say that people ONLY pvp in this game is a really laughing matter. Seriously folks. I have seen many pvpers come and go overr the years. This game is not just based on pvp! Never has been never will. 3 if UO did not make a tram. Or new lands. If it didn't change, None of us would be here fighting over the old days. Whos to blame for the downfall of UO. can it be many different reasons?. many! Quit pointing fingers at just one group for they are an easy group to ruffle some feathers

if ya want some examples on the fall of UO. Look around you. The graphics are ten years old. People get tired of playing and move on to bigger and better things. the support of EA games staff. The hacks and the cheats. The list goes on. So NO trammy is NOT to blame for the death of UO. Heck it probally keeped UO alive and kicking ALOT longer than it should have.

Now back to the sunject on hand...can we plz? try to at least stay on topic? and not act like a bunch of adults who have ADHD? Btw I do have that so...:p

I miss going up to the mines just straight up from Brit. There is that little cave there. I remember when Iron ore was the only thing you could mine. Now back in the day part of that land was a no housing land. There was a forge and an anvil and I would of course stack up my ore and click and drag it to the forge. took forever for I always ran out of stamia..but still great time.

Also just sitting there with my miner..and have my stealther on the other computer just hidding there. Waiting for somebody to try and grab the ore and run. Onces there stamia ran out BAM came the arrows. Good times. LOL.

I think what I miss the most is this. When being red was a BAD THING! Alot of us forget about that. Back in the day. If ya were red 1 you lost skill points. 2 you lost stat points. 3 If I remember right they could NOT go back up until you were blue again. 4 the only places to get rezed was the chaos shrine. Where alot of blues hung out looking for an easy kill or if you had guildes who didn't mind going grey for a few minutes.

5 NO NPCs would do business with ya. I also believe this was with the bank too. Funny thing tho is this....
Everyone says how great it is to be red now. Which it is to a point. You have alot more freedom and its encourage to be red now than it was back in the day. you get alot of special lets say casting fields spells damages if you are red than if you are blue.
But back in the day It took a real good player to play a red.

Also lets not forget the headhunters LOL.. if you were red and killed a blue then the blue could put a bounty on your head. Now if you got killed. The other person who killed ya would pretty much chop off your head and turn it in to a town guard to see if there was a bounty on it. Man the heads I lost..and collected. I really wish they would bring this one back to UO.

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Now back to UO. heres my comment on that. 1 not every player has a stratics account. heck I played for a good 4 to 5 years before even jumping onto stratics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true.

<blockquote><hr>

2 to say that people ONLY pvp in this game is a really laughing matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

True too, in my experience players who PvP are usually also some of the best PvMers.

<blockquote><hr>

3 if UO did not make a tram. Or new lands. If it didn't change. none of us would be here fighting over the old days. Whos to blame for the downfall of UO. could be many different reasons. many! Quit pointing fingers at just one groupd for they are an easy group to ruffle some feathers
if ya want some examples on the fall of UO. Look around you. the graphics. People get tired of playing. the support of EA games staff. The hacks and the cheats. The list goes on. So NO trammy is NOT to blame for the death of UO. heck it probally keeped UO alive and kicking for ALOT longer than it should have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry no, your wrong. UO would not have died if Trammel wasnt created, in fact my bet it would be in a much stronger position than it is now. The proof? Free shards. It is sad that you can log onto a free shard and find more people playing there than on Atlantic (which is EA's most populated server). But what is funny is that the most popular free shard at the moment is a pre-Ren t2a era shard (with an average of 1043 concurrent users, yes unlike EA free shards actually release their population numbers).

Now I don't play free shards for a few reasons, 1 I have put way to much work into my accounts on Oceania, 2 I pay for my accounts on Oceania, 3 Oceania is 'real' UO, and has the feel of being real 4, most free shards are hosted in the US, Oceania is in Syd = no lag.

The reason why we have Trammel now is because back when it was created (ie the release of Ren) EA decided that because EQ was competing with it they would try and get the game to appeal to a wider fan base. Unfortunately EA was wrong, they ended up hurting their product more than they helped it. This isnt a new thing for EA though and they continued to do other stupid things afterwoods (cancellation of UO2 because the 'MMO genre was not worth investing in' UXO...AoS... the list goes on).

They also did other things to make the game more appealing to a wider audience such as the removal of the 'M' rating of the game (and as a consequence removal of the bounty system, dismembering human corpses, etc etc). In the end though these things are sorely missed by most players who remember them (including myself).

<blockquote><hr>

I miss going up to the mines just straight up from Brit. There is that little cave there. I remember when Iron ore was the only thing you could mine. Now back in the day part of that land was a no housing land. There was a forge and an anvil and I would of course stack up my ore and click and drag it to the forge. took forever for I always ran out of stamia..but still great time.

Also just sitting there with my miner..and have my stealther on the other computer just hidding there. Waiting for somebody to try and grab the ore and run. Onces there stamia ran out BAM came the arrows. Good times. LOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, when mining was actually fun because you had to watch you back constantly. My first char (on Oceania) Que Xux started off as a miner hehe, funnily enough so did my first char ever (Que Xux on Napa Vally, sadly a victim of the 'unused' char backup purge in 99-00).

F

five oclock

you know sneaky I really like your replies..but Im calling your bluff..UO by EA games would NOT be around if not for trammie...I will give you my proof by your own words

<blockquote><hr>

3 if UO did not make a tram. Or new lands. If it didn't change. none of us would be here fighting over the old days. Whos to blame for the downfall of UO. could be many different reasons. many! Quit pointing fingers at just one groupd for they are an easy group to ruffle some feathers
if ya want some examples on the fall of UO. Look around you. the graphics. People get tired of playing. the support of EA games staff. The hacks and the cheats. The list goes on. So NO trammy is NOT to blame for the death of UO. heck it probally keeped UO alive and kicking for ALOT longer than it should have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry no, your wrong. UO would not have died if Trammel wasnt created, in fact my bet it would be in a much stronger position than it is now. The proof? Free shards. It is sad that you can log onto a free shard and find more people playing there than on Atlantic (which is EA's most populated server). But what is funny is that the most popular free shard at the moment is a pre-Ren t2a era shard (with an average of 1043 concurrent users, yes unlike EA free shards actually release their population numbers).

Now I don't play free shards for a few reasons, 1 I have put way to much work into my accounts on Oceania, 2 I pay for my accounts on Oceania, 3 Oceania is 'real' UO, and has the feel of being real 4, most free shards are hosted in the US, Oceania is in Syd = no lag. End Quote

Ok Whats wrong here? OO yeah..FREE SHARD! Ok last I check EA games does NOT have a free shard or even support them. Free shards are done by regular people like ourselfs. They don't require a payment every month. They don't have support if you have a problem. And alot of them can't play the new stuff or just dont give two cents if you want to play at the new UO/EA places going around.
Plus as you said..the free shards don't feel real.

Would UO/EA be stronger no not really. It just would not exist. you can also say alot more people play free shards. I have in the past too. Its fun playing with a bunch of my friends. But the downside to free shards that UO/EA doenst have much is this. Free shards have and can go down at any time. The server has issues. and my personal favorite. The owner decideds he/she is tired and cancels the free server. so everything you have worked for has now just gone down the drain. Just because one server has so many players..give it time...thats the real toll. Im sure no free server will ever go as long as UO/EA game has. Or ever will. If its as big a server like UO servers have been. Not just a bunch of friends hanging out having some fun.

So UO as a whole would still be around for people. BUT EA games that we all love to pay to play UO would not be around. Which also means that all the new stuff we love to play, paladins, necros, bush, etc etc would not be around for they would not have been created yet when tram was created.

So to concluded. If not for trammy. UO/EA games would not exist anymore
thank you

NOW back to the topic. btw sneaky..if you want to continue this IN Private chat. PLZ msg me. I would love to continue this debate! but I will agree with you on this. UO/EA games should of keeped the M rating. That is one thing that has keeped the adults and people who Pay to play going. Losing that was a bad thing. In more ways than one

But seriously now. back to the topic.
I also miss NOT having a rune book. Where you had a bag full of runes. Each one marked to a place. It was heavy enough to where a thief could NOT steal the whole bag, but could take one of them and recall out. Also these runes were in a certain order to where you wanted to go.

I also miss people selling horses and animals at the bank. On any given day 3 or 4 players selling there tamed mounts shouting there prices out and a tell.

To get on top of brit bank roof was actually a challenge LOL.

Also how much I SO hated this at the time. I miss it now. How it took me usually 10 minutes on my modem. To go from one side of brit bank to the other. With all the people and the animals and the lag....Gosh I hated it..Now tho..I miss it.

G

ok with or without the creation of trammel i do believe that the playerbase would have dwindled anyway with the creation of the free shards more so much because of the name FREE shard, in this day and time money is becoming more of a harder thing to come by with bills and high pricing and what not so anything that provides same or simular entertainment that they are already playing for cost but can get for free then people are going to jump at it so that i would have to say is a big downfall for UO not trammel per say but in fact money oh and power has a little to do with it too

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was going to PM you, but I will make it short and sweet instead.

<blockquote><hr>

Ok Whats wrong here? OO yeah..FREE SHARD! Ok last I check EA games does NOT have a free shard or even support them. Free shards are done by regular people like ourselfs. They don't require a payment every month. They don't have support if you have a problem. And alot of them can't play the new stuff or just dont give two cents if you want to play at the new UO/EA places going around.
Plus as you said..the free shards don't feel real.

[/ QUOTE ]

The main point was that out of all the free shards (and there are many many more free shards than 'real' shards, including shards that replica current modern day UO) the most popular by country mile is a t2a era shard, no Trammel. Would I play a free shard? No because of my reasons and some of the ones you listed too, but I bet you would find a whole bunch of the players who do play on a free shards have at one time played on an EA server.

Ya know all the people who quit because they thing EA ruined their game? Where do you think they all went? To a place where they could continue playing the game they love, the way the like it and by the numbers, the most people like the t2a version of UO (because it was the best).

<blockquote><hr>

So UO as a whole would still be around for people. BUT EA games that we all love to pay to play UO would not be around. Which also means that all the new stuff we love to play, paladins, necros, bush, etc etc would not be around for they would not have been created yet when tram was created.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep your right all the terribly UNBALANCING and almost GAME BREAKING things you mentioned above, and other things like AoS etc wouldn't be around. Remember all the bugs AoS had and how long they took to fix? Remember the unbalanced Bushido crit stike spamming archers? Remember the word of death bug that somehow managed to get past ML beta... I digress.

<blockquote><hr>

So to concluded. If not for trammy. UO/EA games would not exist anymore
thank you

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh no, if it werent for Trammel, we wouldn't have... oh yes thats right, Trammies! I assure you we would still have UO on EA servers.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Dalecti owns every thread he posts in :C

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone in this thread (apart from KV, SORO and myself) have been owned by Dal.