• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The subject of tavern sitting

Callista

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I hear sooo many people complaining about tavern sitting but I dunno since I lag so much anyway I rather enjoy it.

I just don't see how it's boring lol. Any other fellow tavern sitters out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is not the occasional Tavern Night folks complain about I believe Callista, but more so when it is the only thing to do night after night. In the past much of the RP of Cats sprang from the Taverns of the lands. You never knew if a night of merrymaking would be suddenly disturbed by the local evil folks or drunken pirates. Taverns of old were the focal point of a town. Many times the mayor of the region had his office inside the tavern. I myself enjoy an occasional bards night, or even just sitting around a table chatting with folks.

One of the issues that popped up in taverns happened at the Rest. Folks that came there got to where they would sit at tables talking in private chat. If a pirate or other naer do well dared to disrupt their night I would get tell after tell asking me to ban the pirates from the tavern. This was really not the right things to do, and a good old donnybrook would have served the occasion better.

Taverns are not the evil killer of RP, but we must take care to allow for the unexpected.

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am the evil killer of the RP'ers.

*I just like to get out and do things*

Callista

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
We'll even when I had decent internet I would still get distracted during hunts and if anyone has ever hunted with me they will be able to tell u I die a lot and am usually the first to die.

It's easier for me to read up in a journal than to constantly get a res because I can't concentrate long enough to keep my eye on the computer for more than 2 minutes at a time lol.

I also like to get out and do things to just I'm guessing I'm wierd in the aspect I'd rather just goof off with friends.

Callista

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
It is not the occasional Tavern Night folks complain about I believe Callista, but more so when it is the only thing to do night after night. In the past much of the RP of Cats sprang from the Taverns of the lands. You never knew if a night of merrymaking would be suddenly disturbed by the local evil folks or drunken pirates. Taverns of old were the focal point of a town. Many times the mayor of the region had his office inside the tavern. I myself enjoy an occasional bards night, or even just sitting around a table chatting with folks.

One of the issues that popped up in taverns happened at the Rest. Folks that came there got to where they would sit at tables talking in private chat. If a pirate or other naer do well dared to disrupt their night I would get tell after tell asking me to ban the pirates from the tavern. This was really not the right things to do, and a good old donnybrook would have served the occasion better.

Taverns are not the evil killer of RP, but we must take care to allow for the unexpected.

You know there's whispers about tavern rotations which I think could be fun and allow time to hang out and time to hunt and whatnot

Thom

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is nothing wrong with the occasional tavern night, or meeting up at one after/before an event is to take place. However, when there are 5 taverns and only 7 days in a week it gets to be a bit much to hit them to show your support of people. I personally run out of things to talk about rather quickly when I am seeing the same people 5 or 6 times a week at a tavern, and when there are that many nights of the week that we are doing that then there isn't much time for anything else to happen.

Bianca_CoD

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Taverns are a way to further develop your character. I agree that when a server gets fuller, there may come a time when having a tavern night every day of the week would get cumbersome and tiring. But that's not the case here. Then again, we all do not have to attend a tavern night. They are just options if nothing else is going on. That's how I've always seen tavern nights.

For the longest time, Thursday nights have been the night for us to open the Bloody Brew tavern. Reason we do that is because well... we're busy IRL and sometimes that's the only day we get to come together and catch up with one another. Many of us have various characters as well, so we could use different characters for different tavern nights. I had Bianca, Ariana, August, and Blasphemy. So if we did have 7-day a week taverns opening throughout the land, hell I would probably bring two different characters to two different tavern nights. I could've brought Bianca to talk about fashion and what would have been her new clothiers shop to one... then another night bring Blasphemy to act like a b+ itch and get into a brawl the next night. To be honest I think it would have been amazing to see various groups open up their taverns on a more consistent basis. But you have to be willing to be okay with no one showing up one night because they have better things to do that night; a guild storyline, a hunt, another event, etc. Again tavern nights should be options... if something else is going on, then by all means.

~ Sue.

Thom

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I totally agree that tavern nights are a great option for character development, in moderation. The problem isn't from having too many people so much as having too few. We don't have the people to really justify having a different tavern open every night of the week. Yes, you could just not go to them all. However, realistically there are so few people in the community at the moment that it causes people to feel obligated to attend. I much prefer the way things are now where we may meet up before or after an event at a tavern and spend a little time there before moving on to other things.

Sennah T' Nae

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Its like Aedon says, it is not just having the occasional tavern night its when the majority of the rp is tavern sitting. It is a good way to keep up with what is happening rp wise around the shard and like Bianca says to further build your character. I love to talk to people, but even for me it gets monotonous trying to have idle chit chat with people. I love to do story arcs, one of my favorites is still the Renor Orbb one from when I was in PGoH.

An issue is that almost everyone wants to rp a good guy, there is only one bad guy in Cats that I know of that actually causes trouble. We have the same issue on Atl, Dante and I are the only real active bad guys so we take hours thinking of ways to start trouble in a way that it would be hard to figure out who the trouble maker is IC. More rpers should take a chance and rp bad guys...make ones that you aren't afraid to perma-kill... like the psycho I rped for Thom, the rp only lasted an hour or two before he was killed, however it added a short but interesting plot to play and developed Thoms character more. If there were more bad guys actively causing trouble then tavern sitting wouldn't seem so bad because there is an added danger which keeps rp interesting and fun.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Every time I log on to tavern sit or socialize the subject always turns to sex?
Is this the general conversation even when I am not on, or is this special just to me?

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is this the general conversation even when I am not on, or is this special just to me?
Tavern sitting is always terribly boring and if you do it, you either have to out bore the others or be like me and have a character who spaces out or drifts off cause you got up to go to the kitchen or read comics.

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do you want the Whip of Greater Whipping +5 or not?

Sennah T' Nae

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I haven't seen lots of talking about sex, though there are...or were a lot of pregnant people so there are definitely things happening :p

Dag Nabbit

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I have attended a couple of tavern nights lately. I did see a few times where the convo did go into a lull when I was there. Did everyone go afk or did the talking slip into the realm of guild and icq chatting?

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I know that from personal experience, some of my guildies have to AFK here and there because they have children. My friend Adam had many nights when he'd have to AFK to tend to his young son that was suffering from nightmares. The kid would wake up consistently throughout the night but he'd go back to sleep and be good for 30+ minutes. I have always had a "bathroom" in the tavern for those types of situations so folks can excuse themselves to the bathroom to AFK. But its not always able to be done, sometimes its a "screaming kid > drop everything" type of situation and you cannot even say you're AFK.

The bottom line is this: If you like it, by all means come and have a good time. If you do not, then skip it. But at the end of the day folks shouldn't be knocking it either. Respect that some folks enjoy it.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Few people knock tavern nights, they are mostly saying that there is more to RP then night after night in a tavern. Right now, I am not seeing that much in the way of "Tavern Sitting." I think most folks have been busy with the em plot-lines, and Xanthus stabbing or burning everything in sight. The tavern night in Skara was great in that it reminded me of the old days when we many RPers headed to Skara for a night at the tavern and many plots sprang forth or were furthered between sips of rum.

You need not by the way respect another persons RP. The respect should be afforded the player, not how they choose to RP. I can detest a type of character a person chooses to portray, I may find it insipid and a bit childish, but that should NEVER mean that I should not hold respect for the art and craft of that player. This is true for not only the RPers of the community, but PvPers as well.

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is only so much alcohol a character should consumer a week unless you play a heavy drinker going to a tavern seems a bit out of the way haha. :shots:
That being said I have played and do play an alcoholic character and it's pretty fun being able to get away with random crap cause you're drunk, walking off and coming back without clothes, Stabbing someone everyone hates after telling them to leave, Puking alllll over the tavern due to the new drinking mechanics. I've done all of these in my about 25 days back, but the thing is I also left the tavern.
By the way if you ever want your character to puke EVERYWHERE 5 bottles of alcohol in quick succession does the trick, stronger the stuff is the better not just ale.

Callista

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Some of my favorite rp memories have been in taverns..... Pandora kissing Rotep square on the lips as an example. I think I just enjoy rp in general ten times to anything else whether it's in a tavern or outside taverns. Taverns just seem to make it easier to bump into someone. And of course Galehaven is always stocked with our famous Olympus Rum and new and improved donuts that are now set out fresh daily. :p

Brock

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I generally dislike sitting in taverns just to sit in taverns since nothing really happens there. Well nothing that really moves my characters' stories along for the most part anyway. "So-and-so kissed so and who's-his-face" or "what-his-name got really drunk" is just rubbish gossip mongering to me and doesn't move my stories along. So I'm just not as interested in it. Though usually when I am tavern sitting its to tell my story in hopes that others are interested in joining in on and being apart of. But there are also times when I don't have an on going active plot to play out or a person I need for such a plot isn't around so I'll go to a tavern night just to kill time or to enjoy the sloppy drunks stumble around and kiss the wrong person or what have you.

On Atlantic we did tavern nights once a week (and it rotated from tavern to tavern) so I never really got bored with tavern sitting as I did on Catskills. The other six nights a week we'd all do our own RP and then come back together on tavern night and more or less tell everyone about what we had been up to since the last tavern night.

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some of my favorite rp memories have been in taverns..... Pandora kissing Rotep square on the lips as an example. I think I just enjoy rp in general ten times to anything else whether it's in a tavern or outside taverns. Taverns just seem to make it easier to bump into someone. And of course Galehaven is always stocked with our famous Olympus Rum and new and improved donuts that are now set out fresh daily. :p

I do not recall this at all, so I have to wonder if you are making things up or gone crazy. That being said Rotep is all but dead now, and i don't see him making a return.

Callista

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I know there was a ss taken ill dig it up:) sorry to hear that bout rotep

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not really dead just doesn't exist at the moment as a named character. His usefulness was fairly limited if i see a need of want to bring him back i have the means to remake him.

Sennah T' Nae

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Main thing is tavern sitting shouldn't be the 'main event' of rp, it should be the whipped cream and cherry on a sundae...not needed, but it adds to the experience.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Personally, tavern sitting got a bit boring for me years ago, it seems like there is only a few things people ever talk about...and after hearing the same people say the same things and tell the same stories for weeks, sometimes months....it gets kinda old.

Judas D'arc

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In theory, I enjoy tavern gatherings. In practice (much like others), I have my issues with them.

However, I've never been bored at a tavern night as long as there were interesting characters actually engaging one another -- the problem for me is that it's so easy for people to just show up, go away from the computer, and chime in every 5 minutes. I've been guilty of that myself (especially when what I thought was going to be a quick #1 turned into a loooooooooong #2).

I do like tavern gatherings because it enables people to find each other. People quit UO when they can't find anyone to do the things they like to do with. For role-players, that means interaction. I think there are a lot of great examples in this thread about good uses for tavern nights and bad ones, so I won't bother repeating.

So here's a proposed suggestion. Like Brock, I think Catskills could benefit from a tavern rotation system. Each week, a designated, participating guild hosts a tavern. It doesn't even have to be on the same night per week like Atlantic either, since different guilds have different schedules. The only rule being that if you're a host, you actually show up and host (that became a big problem on Atlantic, even bigger than the #1 to #2 problem I mentioned earlier). Also, this idea doesn't mean there can't be other tavern gatherings, planned or spontaneous. For example, I know the Children of Darkness hosts one every Thursday and nothing about this idea is suggesting they, or similarly situated groups, shouldn't continue to do so. I just think most of us want to avoid a scenario where there are 5 scheduled tavern gatherings a week to the exclusion of all other activities.

I know Gillian wants to host a tavern night in Skara Brae every month or so. I know James Bunny-Man has mentioned hosting Que's again. And if CoD is cool with it, their Thursday night tavern night could be part of the system -- though again, not at all suggesting they can't also host taverns on other Thursdays when it's not their designated week and we can do our best to avoid any conflicts between their system and their regular event. It'd also be great if we could find a group that prefers weekend nights for theirs so we can cater to different schedules.

So any thoughts or takers? If enough people are interested, all the hosts can get talking and we can put together a schedule. And please note, this idea isn't only for the usual suspects either. If you're someone with any interest in hosting a tavern, whether or not you consider yourself a role-player or part-time role-player or a closet role-player or even someone that finds most role-players annoying and elitist, feel free to get involved!

Sarain Noire

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I actually just decided to randomly stop by the forums and saw this thread. So...a few things.

1. Scarst - *shakes head* Tsk tsk.
2. It's good to know that Xan is always up to his old tricks.
3. On tavern RP. I've noticed that most of the people I RP with even in other games don't mind tavern RP on occasion. They just often wish there was more to it than that. And some, despite their best efforts, cannot persuade others to try out other forms of RP. Which is really a loss on those who decide to spend every night in a tavern. I can't imagine doing only that. Though in the past, it seems like that's what I did most in Catskills at some point. I think toward the end of my playing it had become mostly that.

I do think rotating taverns every week and having a tavern night once a week is actually a great idea. However, it's only great if there is other RP going on that doesn't take place in taverns.

Thom

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In theory, I enjoy tavern gatherings. In practice (much like others), I have my issues with them.

However, I've never been bored at a tavern night as long as there were interesting characters actually engaging one another -- the problem for me is that it's so easy for people to just show up, go away from the computer, and chime in every 5 minutes. I've been guilty of that myself (especially when what I thought was going to be a quick #1 turned into a loooooooooong #2).

I do like tavern gatherings because it enables people to find each other. People quit UO when they can't find anyone to do the things they like to do with. For role-players, that means interaction. I think there are a lot of great examples in this thread about good uses for tavern nights and bad ones, so I won't bother repeating.

So here's a proposed suggestion. Like Brock, I think Catskills could benefit from a tavern rotation system. Each week, a designated, participating guild hosts a tavern. It doesn't even have to be on the same night per week like Atlantic either, since different guilds have different schedules. The only rule being that if you're a host, you actually show up and host (that became a big problem on Atlantic, even bigger than the #1 to #2 problem I mentioned earlier). Also, this idea doesn't mean there can't be other tavern gatherings, planned or spontaneous. For example, I know the Children of Darkness hosts one every Thursday and nothing about this idea is suggesting they, or similarly situated groups, shouldn't continue to do so. I just think most of us want to avoid a scenario where there are 5 scheduled tavern gatherings a week to the exclusion of all other activities.

I know Gillian wants to host a tavern night in Skara Brae every month or so. I know James Bunny-Man has mentioned hosting Que's again. And if CoD is cool with it, their Thursday night tavern night could be part of the system -- though again, not at all suggesting they can't also host taverns on other Thursdays when it's not their designated week and we can do our best to avoid any conflicts between their system and their regular event. It'd also be great if we could find a group that prefers weekend nights for theirs so we can cater to different schedules.

So any thoughts or takers? If enough people are interested, all the hosts can get talking and we can put together a schedule. And please note, this idea isn't only for the usual suspects either. If you're someone with any interest in hosting a tavern, whether or not you consider yourself a role-player or part-time role-player or a closet role-player or even someone that finds most role-players annoying and elitist, feel free to get involved!
I was waiting for you to post that since it was you that was talking about doing it. I have no issues with rotating and feel it's probably the best thing we can do. There's a lot of rp happening in other places and hitting the weekly tavern is a good place to touch base and get involved.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

Eodain Cadori

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Admittedly I don't post here often nor have anything productive to add to this but just wanted to chime in and say --- I think tavern sitting is wonderful and I also believe on the flip-side the RP community of Catskills is doing a tremendously impressive job of producing some truly great and memorable RP outside of tavern sitting that I must say has been a great deal of fun and I'm proud to be a part of it. I've RPed in a few different communities in the past and this is one of the best I've been a part of.

That's all. Have a good day

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Admittedly I don't post here often nor have anything productive to add to this but just wanted to chime in and say --- I think tavern sitting is wonderful and I also believe on the flip-side the RP community of Catskills is doing a tremendously impressive job of producing some truly great and memorable RP outside of tavern sitting that I must say has been a great deal of fun and I'm proud to be a part of it. I've RPed in a few different communities in the past and this is one of the best I've been a part of.

That's all. Have a good day
For that, I will stab you less.

Judas D'arc

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
the RP community of Catskills is doing a tremendously impressive job of producing some truly great and memorable RP outside of tavern sitting that I must say has been a great deal of fun and I'm proud to be a part of it.
Then you clearly didn't get the memo!

But seriously, it's nice to see a post like this.

Bianca_CoD

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
CoD has hosted tavern night on Thursday nights for nearly 4 years now... whether some of us are on a break, some of us have moved on, or some of us are actually taking charge matters little. We will continue to have our tavern night on Thursday night between 9 and 11 pm EST. That building was designed for this type of event, whether its hosted by CoD or not, and I hope others feel free to host it, it should be used as such. Its something folks can count on for the most part (Decembers are tough to host!). Taverns are a great place to exchange information, and that's how I see it. With a communal place to gather for "no apparent reason other than to have a drink or two or twenty" the exchange of information "in character" becomes limited and certain groups tend to get isolated. Some groups naturally have the inclination to visit each other, but that's not the case for some other groups so this provides that vehicle of interaction.

We used to host "Comedy Night" once a month in our Millennia Nightclub and some folks loved it, others did not care for it.... so they did not attend. But this is also a different way to gather that isn't a "tavern sit"... its a funnier way of doing "bard's night". Really funny stuff!

We also used to have "Market Day in Umbra" every month too which was a completely "in character" market that traded in silver. We saw authors coming to share their books, Bianca sold her children's wear there as well finely crafted cloth, and I believe Izznet had an "in character" tatoo shop!!! That was great. :)

Every 3 months we'd hold the "Full Moon's Ball" in the city of Umbra, another great event for folks to gather at. And those things have had great successes in bringing folks from other shards to visit us which is a great way to promote our shard. People do like to dress up!

Every year we used do the "Umbra Street Fair"... yet another great idea and event! I think the Skara Brae one is somewhat similar to this and these are great fun for folks to do!

What I am trying to say is, events are a much-needed part of our Role Playing and they help us develop our characters, they also provide the chance for random encounters, such as being kidnapped, robbed, or even murdered. Whether they are a simple tavern night or a more grandiose event like a Ball or a Fair... its all needed.

If you do not enjoy it, don't come just to be able to complain about it! Same goes for the different types of role play that exist out there. If you do not like it, do not partake in it... simple. Don't stay and witness it just so you can come complain about it later. That's just silly.

~ Sue.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not taking part of RP that you do not find fun or simply find boring is the best suggestion that can be made. It is what I try my best to adhere to, and I will continue down this path. My time in the game is limited due to real life mattering more to me as well as my commitment to other endeavors. To spend this time I do have for UO engaged in an activity I find boring would be rather foolish.

It is far better to devote ones playtime to things which spark the imagination and provide a good night of entertainment. Though in the past I ran the Knights Rest, held a great many events and was a constant presence in the RP community for more than nine years, closer to thirteen actually, time and changes in interest do not encourage me to spend many nights sitting in the local Pubs.

The Blood Brew, though a great looking tavern, and with all respect to the many entertaining events held there is simply not a good fit for Aedon. He does miss evenings at the Winter's Rose sipping tea and even the older times at The Saints and Spirits. But my tavern sitting will most likely be limited to the once a month option, or dropping by Olympus for a quick cup of tea. Perhaps with a shot of rum in it.

Again, there is nothing inherently bad about nights in a tavern. It is just that in the past it was far to easy to slide into a rut of Tavern hopping night after night.

Bianca_CoD

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Again, there is nothing inherently bad about nights in a tavern. It is just that in the past it was far to easy to slide into a rut of Tavern hopping night after night.
Well in more recent times only The Bloody Brew on Thursday nights has had a consistent weekly "tavern night". The monthly ones are great, the random ones before or after a hunt are great too, but we're only addressing the consistent weekly ones, correct? So in that case, there are 6 entire other days where things of varying interests happen. Why don't we cross that bridge when we get to have more than just 1x a week? Nothing as of now needs to change.

~ Sue.