• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The results of 25 Level 6 maps on Test Center

Widow Maker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here are a couple of thoughts about Felucca and the relevance of pardons:

From my perspective, Felucca is Advanced UO or playing UO in hard mode. PVP makes it that way. When I put something in Felucca, it's because I want it to be hard to get and thus rare, PVP is kind of a means to an end.

Another way to make things rare is to decrease the repop of the spawn or decrease the chance for the monster to drop the item, but it seems to me there is more "game" in making better odds of getting the item and then letting people duke it out over the items.

Another observation about Fel, Everyone who is a UO player has access to Fel and Reds can't leave Fel, so if I want to put something in the world that **everyone** has access to, I put it in Fel. I had a lot of trouble putting the new chapter of the live event in Ilshenar because my producer was going, "but there are players who can't go to Ilshenar because they are red."

Objviously, that is not the right way to do everything, and it certainly isn't the way we do everything (85% of Stygian Abyss was Trammel ruleset), but it might give you some insight into why we put things in Felucca only. It's not to "force" pvp to happen, that happens naturally because people are ornery. It's more accurate to say we "force" people not to pvp in the Trammel rule set to make the game more accessible to casual and new players.

Spot on Mike. :thumbup1:

G

GreekHero

Dude, go to test and check it out before you assume you will not be able to solo a chest now. I did go there, and guess what, the Chest Spawn is WAY easier than it used to be. I did lvl 6 maps and with ONLY EV's, they killed all the chest spawn. WAY EASIER then the AW's were!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The main complaint was why to need mining in an already cramped template...

Widow Maker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, thats like saying that racing in a race where cars crash into eachother is the "hard mode" of racing. Ignoring other forms of racing or driving.

No denying that its another level of gameplay...but saying its "hard mode", makes it sound like its superior to anything else.

Thats all well and good for PvP. Though they should be centered around PvP centric items, not more like power scrolls or better drops.

Players aren't red, characters are red. You can have up to 7 chars per account and I really doubt a person has 7 reds and no extra account. You're not denying anyone as they can log on their non-red easily enough.

Its worse the other way around, since you have a lot of players who have no PvP characters and are as such completely denied PvP content of any kind.

Its a bit off to say that the only ones Trammel benefit are casual and new players. Its fine that you make PvP centric events or such, just make them center around PvP things, not something those who do not PvP gets cheated out of.

Because they are the true players who gets denied, as a non-PvPer can't just log onto their PvP char and go do it, like a person with a red char can just log in a non-red char.
So you should absolutely welcome the Pardon chits then..Go to Fel..fight for what you want..if you happen to go red, well..chew a chit and boom..you are able to go into all the areas my reds can not and will not go.

Are you starting to now see the HUGENESS of these Pardons..and why they will be larger than scrolls?

I am NOT part of the "Silver Platter Gang"

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I beg to dissent here. Most reds (if not all...) also have blues and they can therefore access all areas of the game quite easily. If they need certain skills Soulstones do wonders and they are easily available being them a 1st year Vet Reward, be purchaseable on UOGameCodes and also now are craftable.

It is much easier for reds to go to other facets than for blues to go to Felucca and so, putting items exclusively into Felucca cuts out way, but way more players from them than if those items were made to spawn on a trammel ruleset facet.

Bottom line is, whenever you choose to have an item be Felucca exclusive you deprive many more players of the chance to self acquire it than if you had it spawn on a trammel ruleset. And, consequentially, you make it an assett for the Felucca population who can use it to largely further their wealth and, hence, in an item based game where modifiers sets the winner, increase their power and invulnerability in PvP fighting....

Just a thought for you guys who run the game........
Good Post Popps you were much more diplomatic in addressing that post than I would have been.

@Widow Maker...Spot On? His name is Mark not mike and Mark couldn't be further from the mark. His Producer Calvin needs to wake up and understand what's actually going on in the game with players who have 5-7 characters and very likely multiple accounts to access any part of the game they want.
Another observation about Fel, Everyone who is a UO player has access to Fel and Reds can't leave Fel, so if I want to put something in the world that **everyone** has access to, I put it in Fel. I had a lot of trouble putting the new chapter of the live event in Ilshenar because my producer was going, "but there are players who can't go to Ilshenar because they are red."
My jaw dropped when I read this post. I couldn't believe what I was reading.

Popps did a great job addressing it all I'll add is it is very sad and disappointing to see those who are running the game do not understand what goes on within the game.:(

S

slaveone

4. Have the items in the chest affected by luck! :)
Are you frigging kidding me! NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is called Treasure Hunting not Tamer Hunting.

Doing this would REQUIRE every T-hunter be a tamer or that they scramble to do all the chests while under the effect of a 10th anny statue.

NO THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

From my perspective, Felucca is Advanced UO or playing UO in hard mode. PVP makes it that way. When I put something in Felucca, it's because I want it to be hard to get and thus rare, PVP is kind of a means to an end.

Another way to make things rare is to decrease the repop of the spawn or decrease the chance for the monster to drop the item, but it seems to me there is more "game" in making better odds of getting the item and then letting people duke it out over the items.

Objviously, that is not the right way to do everything, and it certainly isn't the way we do everything (85% of Stygian Abyss was Trammel ruleset), but it might give you some insight into why we put things in Felucca only. It's not to "force" pvp to happen, that happens naturally because people are ornery. It's more accurate to say we "force" people not to pvp in the Trammel rule set to make the game more accessible to casual and new players.

But Mark..... like 99% of the DEV's and players you all are forgetting one thing..... THEY CHOSE to be Red.

It's like complaining because you can't tame a Greater Dragon on a Blacksmith...

Do you see non-tamers whinning and complaining because they "can't" have one???? NO... why because they aren't tamers... and they know that if they really WANTED one all they would have to do is become a Tamer...

So I must ask... Why do you throw bones to people who choose to be murderous scum and go against Virtue???

They can't leave Fel because that's a PUNISHMENT... much like prison... they choose that lifestyle knowing full well the consequences... so now... because of their poor choices..... you coddle to them?

Now that don't make sense.

I go to fel..... been to fel many a time... I've killed murderers in Fel... done champ spawns.... I've been in factions... but I don't have one single red character...

Choice that's what it is.

S

Sergul'zan_SP

I am sorry popps but I do not have the time or inclination to sit down and write an essay, to you, about UO.

Suffice it to say that we can agree that your understanding of the game (as a whole), the players and their interactions are something you have simply just not quite figured out. Given your propensity of demanding everything being handed to you on a silver platter, unfortunately, I sincerely doubt you ever will.

If I may make a suggestion; You would do yourself very well if you took a time period, say 1 year, and played nothing but Fellucia. Immerse yourself into it's play styles, it's players, it's limitations and it's idiosyncrasies. Go red on multiple characters. It is a distinctive world that is, at this time, just beyond your mental vision. You can cure that with experience.

All you really know is, for example, driving an automatic...Trammel. A monkey or parakeet can drive an automatic and it is "safe". It's a Volvo on a city side street with a cop on every corner. Birds are chirping, NPR on the radio (I like this), the neighbor is mowing the lawn and people wave to you from the sidewalk. It was designed to be like that. (This is my rl world now)

Fellucia is a loud muffler speeding through the night with music blaring, on the column 3 speed stick shift, a loose clutch with a straight 8, a twelve pack and a trashy hot chick sitting next to you that you know gives out. You are out for a good time and there are no cops around. It was designed to be a bit more realistic than the world seen through the looking glass (Romper Room reference for those of you that might remember it) (This used to be my rl world)

I truly believe we would see a much different popps, with a much greater appreciation and understanding of the game as a whole.

Or, you can simply accept it that Powerscrolls are best left in Fel and the Pardons are going to be a VERY good thing for both shards. Some folks simply have to do that whole "faith" thing. They are just not into getting out, getting dirty, working to understand, discover and gain wisdom.

Are you the former...or the latter? Which ever one you are..always strive to be both so you can understand both sides.
So instead of writing an essay to explain your statement, you instead write an essay about gibberish? That definitely supports your previous comment.

R

RavenWinterHawk

As long as you have insurance, there is nothing advanced about Fel or any aspect of UO. It has been watered and dumb down.

UO is a game or 5-7 character slots and a boat load of soul-stones. Anyone can go anywhere at anytime. Please dont forget that.

Want to make being Red something cool. Let the account turn Red and all the charactures be red, if one goes red. Then I would agree with you. If not. We all have blues and reds and can go anywhere.

The problem with UO, aside from my continued desire for randomization, and let me say great job with treasure maps. I think its perfect. If a map leads to a place you can't get too, big deal. The map was bogus.

Ah my point... you can't protect players always and everywhere. You can't make insurance, no looting, etc etc... as a means to keep players in the game. You have to make not having them be of value. Think about it.

Being red in Fel is about as terrifying or useful as a paragon mongbat. So you get killed. What do they get - nothing? I go to Fel and kill a blue or red. What do I get, nothing but some gold. I make more on vendors then I would get killing. I find more on vendors then I would looting. I acquire the new items (that I want) quicker by trading and vending then playing any ruleset.

See you have all these rulesets for different lands of what you can and cant do but you allowed the items coming from these places to be freely traded in trammel. NOTHING has to be acquired by playing the game beyond a vendor. If you aren't in a hurry and something isn't time limited to 1 day spawn, all things can be gotten from a merchant.

Some things to consider for the future... why can gold on one shard be collected from check form on another shard. To get a check you give the banker gold. To claim your gold you give the banker a check. That works great on the shard because the gold is swapped for the check.

When you take checks to other shards, the gold isnt there. What if you made gold tagged to the shard it comes from as well as other resources. Gold can only be transfered as gold piles not checks. Resources coming from other shards can only come in true form not resource deeds. It might do a lot for farming. Just a random thought.

G

Gowron

Apparently, he didn't choose to get married and raise a family either. That must have been forced on him to based on his arguments. He must have also been forced to play UO and someone probably has a gun to his head forcing him to post his drivel as well.

Actually, there were cultures on the planet where marrying was not a choice but the spouse was decided by the parents...

And raising a family might neither be a choice, sometimes, there might be people on the planet who never planned or wanted to have children but it happened anyhow and they took up the responsibility to raise that family but still, they did not choose it...

What I am just trying to say, is that the world is much varied out there and there is all sorts of different people with different lives and situations.........
There are still cultures on this planet, but that is not the argument.

The argument is that YOU made a choice.
YOU made a choice to play this game.
YOU made a choice on a template to play.
Anything beyond that is a consequence of YOUR CHOICE.

YOU chose to live by certain standards, as such, the consequence is that you need to work to earn your money to support that choice.
YOU made a choice to get married.
If you didn't make the choice to have kids, YOU DID make the choice to engage in activity that would lead to them, and is yet another consequence.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
See you have all these rulesets for different lands of what you can and cant do but you allowed the items coming from these places to be freely traded in trammel.

I actually think with all of the facets in UO there is still one missing.

I would like to see a facet with a sort of "intermediate" PvP ruleset.

What does this mean ?

A facet where PvP is allowed, with all that means, but where only 2 players can have combat 1 vs 1. No group fighting, no ganking. Just a large Arena for 1 vs 1 fighs.

And, to make it even more interesting, it could be done with various degrees of fighting.

Players, to access the various sub areas of this facet would need to enter a special Gate. Upon entering the gate the game engine would "weight" the player's skills and gear/weapons (not only those worn but also those in backpack) and assign an overall "power value" to the avatar. Depending on what value was measured the Gate will send the player to a given area of the facet.

This, so as to ensure that players engaging in fights will moreless be having levelled fights with moreless the same fighting value and power.

That's to ensure an open ended outcome fight which makes it for more challenging a fight for BOTH parties.

This special 1 vs 1 facet will be like a PvP training special place to introduce players to PvP more gradually and without having to risk being ganked.

Then, when they feel they are ready, they could decide to access Felucca.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you frigging kidding me! NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is called Treasure Hunting not Tamer Hunting.

Doing this would REQUIRE every T-hunter be a tamer or that they scramble to do all the chests while under the effect of a 10th anny statue.

NO THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And just why would it require every T-Hunter to be a tamer? Really.... my Samuari character has a 2000 luck suit and does quite well.

Making a mage luck suit/t-hunter luck suit is quite easy now thanks to imbueing.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But Mark..... like 99% of the DEV's and players you all are forgetting one thing..... THEY CHOSE to be Red.

It's like complaining because you can't tame a Greater Dragon on a Blacksmith...

Do you see non-tamers whinning and complaining because they "can't" have one???? NO... why because they aren't tamers... and they know that if they really WANTED one all they would have to do is become a Tamer...

So I must ask... Why do you throw bones to people who choose to be murderous scum and go against Virtue???

They can't leave Fel because that's a PUNISHMENT... much like prison... they choose that lifestyle knowing full well the consequences... so now... because of their poor choices..... you coddle to them?

Now that don't make sense.

I go to fel..... been to fel many a time... I've killed murderers in Fel... done champ spawns.... I've been in factions... but I don't have one single red character...

Choice that's what it is.
What I wanted to say but couldn't figure out how to say it.
*bows*

Nice post.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The guardians and loot tables are facet specific. For example, Tokuno chests had rune beetle, hiryu, etc. guardians and the chest had samurai armor/weapons.

Now, that is sweet! Glad they did it that way.

T

Tazar

Thank you. That explains a lot. It explains why I am loosing guild-mates who have no desire to go to fel and feel they railroaded there, or are intentionally excluded from portions of the game.

From my perspective, Felucca is kiddie land turned to a gang-war zone and while I spent my first 6 years there, I rarely ever go back... and no matter how much stuff you put there to tempt me, it won't work until you fix the balance there with cheats/hacks/scripts/etc. If and when PVP truly becomes the means to the end, then it will truly be the end of UO for me and many other trammel players.

Thinking of Fel as advanced-UO is downright insulting to a huge portion of the player base - insulting to many of us that grew up in fel and know what it is - but have no desire to fight cheats/hacks/scripts/etc.

Please rethink your opinion and be fair to the whole player base.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Consider me strange, but the one character that I take to Fel on a regular basis has only rudimentary combat skills (enough to take down most ore elems with the right weapon)... in short, he's a miner. Never had any problem because I rarely if ever see anyone where I am at in Fel at any given time.

Events in Fel are an odd animal. For instance the Ricardo hint book event, you were better off waiting a day or two before doing the Fel sites because by then, they were completely emptied out as people had "moved on". I will agree that during those couple of days, yeah it does get bad to try and bring everyone (especially non-Fel players) to a single location, but the maps aren't going to do that.

I did Level 1 maps from fishing before Trammel was released in Fel all the time... the rick was to NOT do the ones by the Crossroads (which was the active PvP spot at the time).

Just takes a bit of common sense, knowing what's going on where, when and how or if you want to be around or stay away from it.

G

Gowron

See you have all these rulesets for different lands of what you can and cant do but you allowed the items coming from these places to be freely traded in trammel.

I actually think with all of the facets in UO there is still one missing.

I would like to see a facet with a sort of "intermediate" PvP ruleset.

What does this mean ?

A facet where PvP is allowed, with all that means, but where only 2 players can have combat 1 vs 1. No group fighting, no ganking. Just a large Arena for 1 vs 1 fighs.

And, to make it even more interesting, it could be done with various degrees of fighting.

Players, to access the various sub areas of this facet would need to enter a special Gate. Upon entering the gate the game engine would "weight" the player's skills and gear/weapons (not only those worn but also those in backpack) and assign an overall "power value" to the avatar. Depending on what value was measured the Gate will send the player to a given area of the facet.

This, so as to ensure that players engaging in fights will moreless be having levelled fights with moreless the same fighting value and power.

That's to ensure an open ended outcome fight which makes it for more challenging a fight for BOTH parties.

This special 1 vs 1 facet will be like a PvP training special place to introduce players to PvP more gradually and without having to risk being ganked.

Then, when they feel they are ready, they could decide to access Felucca.
This makes it all to obvious that you don't know what you're talking about when you bring up PvP. Of course, it's all a bedwetting attempt to give you something you want just because you want it. Try earning something for once. You may begin with my respect.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

When a valuble reward (e.g. powerscrolls) can be controlled by a small minority of players, the dynamic set up is Wolves-Sheep/Masters-Slaves. What we know, and the classic example is Darkfall (with its 3600 accounts) and even Siege, the Sheep/Slaves will leave the game, then there is a new round of Wolves-Sheep/Masters-Slaves and you have a slow exodus from a subscription based game because it is not fun to pay to be Sheep/Slaves.

Also just as there is justification from Cal that the next live event should not be in Ilsh, so all players can participate in their playstyle of choice, surely the same should apply to rewards such as powerscrolls.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Glad to see the treasure hunting thing finally being done, and all this with pardons, i dunno, i dont think it really matters at this point. Most people who pvp / do spawns faction, so you can kill anyone you want to with no consequence. That being said, if pardons do come into the game, they should be rare enough to make them worth about 40 hours of gameplay. So, as rare as something worth around 25 - 50 mil i'd say. Like a tangle or sash or something. That way someone would have the option to get rid of counts if they needed to, but would think twice about having to buy / use a pardon.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The locations are now totally random. Your mining skill determines how close to the location you must be to find the treasure (the better your mining skill the farther away from the exact location you can be and still get the treasure). This was how it worked before, but once people identified the exact location and made runebooks, it killed the relevance of the mining skill in treasure hunting.
Mark, the relevance of mining skill to Treasure hunting needs to BE PERMANENTLY KILLED STONE COLD DEAD. It has no business even being involved with Treasure Hunting, and I say this as both one of the most avid Miners in UO, as well as a Treasure Hunters of Britannia Guildmaster.

If you're going to have to make the treasure require a skill to locate in one, the ONLY one that should make a difference is CARTOGRAPHY.

As it is, too many people half-ass their Treasure Hunters by decoding the maps with Cartography (but no Lockpicking), then soulstone the Cartography, and add Lockpicking off their other soulstone for the actual hunt. ALL that attempting to force Mining back into this scenario will do is add MORE half-assed soulstoning into the equation, while hurting the legitimate Treasure Hunters that don't soulstone skills back and forth.

Give the current Mining bonus to Cartography, and it will encourage people to actually KEEP Cartography and Lockpicking on the character at the same time, instead of playing stupid soulstone tricks. Making Mining play a part will only force some completely out of the Treasure Hunting occupation, and force others to start soulstoning Mining around in addition to the current lamer carto/LP swap playstyle. Making the homing in on the target spot work more like the Turkey maps from the Thanksgiving event (but still requiring digging the right spot) is also good.

Remember: When the game was in its prime, and every shard had its own THB chapter active, membership required that the character possess both Cartography & lockpicking. When soulstones made that optional on a character, that was the beginning of the steepest decline for the Treasure Hunter profession.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Should be Remove Trap and Cart improves dig range. Remove Trap and LP improves popping the lock and not picks (less loot items turned to dust). Using a spell to set off the trap destroys 5-10 random items in the chest, so Remove Trap. And for the last the combination of the three skills, lower chance of more spawn while pulling loot. If you handled the mob spawned after pulling chest up what is one at a time?

This makes a three skill combination that goes with a template title like the dexer/tamer/mage three. Ya there are the tamers that did away with vet. But that just shows how GDs need to be weaken some or the need for a combination of skills are needed to control a larger pet. Or a fighter without anat just knows what end the weapon to hold and wave it over their head well, But have no clue on where to land the blows.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This makes it all to obvious that you don't know what you're talking about when you bring up PvP. Of course, it's all a bedwetting attempt to give you something you want just because you want it. Try earning something for once. You may begin with my respect.

Is it so wrong to want fair and balanced out fights ?

Because, that is the way I see PvP : a fight were 2 opponents or 2 parties, EQUAL in power, confront each other and only the better combat strategy and tactics will ensure the win, NOT best modifiers, outnumbering (ganking) or cheats.

This is how I see PvP.

O

Old Man of UO

Mark, the relevance of mining skill to Treasure hunting needs to BE PERMANENTLY KILLED STONE COLD DEAD. It has no business even being involved with Treasure Hunting, and I say this as both one of the most avid Miners in UO, as well as a Treasure Hunters of Britannia Guildmaster.

If you're going to have to make the treasure require a skill to locate in one, the ONLY one that should make a difference is CARTOGRAPHY. ...
:thumbup1: Totally agree with this, and great idea.

Make it something like:
0-20.0 Cartography skill - you have to dig within 1 tile of the treasure
20.1 - 40.0 Cartography skill - 2 tiles
40.1 - 60.0 Cartography skill - 3 tiles
60.1 - 80.0 Cartography skill - 4 tiles
80.1 - 100 Cartography skill - 5 tiles

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does detect hidden help in removing traps?
Does detect hidden help in finding digging spot?
Does remove trap required on t-chests?

PS: I know current answers, its only some ideas for devs.

G

Gowron

Is it so wrong to want fair and balanced out fights ?

Because, that is the way I see PvP : a fight were 2 opponents or 2 parties, EQUAL in power, confront each other and only the better combat strategy and tactics will ensure the win, NOT best modifiers, outnumbering (ganking) or cheats.

This is how I see PvP.
No, it's not wrong to want fair and balanced out fights. However, it is quite unrealistic.
You're original comment about an "intermediate PvP facet" was solely based on 1v1. That is called a "duel" and can occur on any facet. Fel doesn't require any effort other than the two parties show up, but in Tram, you'll either need to have a war declaration or an alliance.

I've been party to several "gentlemanly" wars in Tram as well as a few fights in Fel. Very rare are the days of 1v1. The majority of fighting, and most worthwhile, are many vs many when there is something to fight over.

I don't have a clue where you're coming from anymore. First you post that you don't have a desire to learn how to PvP with team strategies. Once again, this is YOUR CHOICE and you must deal with the consequences. Now you allude that you support learning to PvP, but you want it under YOUR CONDITIONS. The bottom line, and I think it's safe to say, that EA Mythic WILL NOT create a special environment just for YOU any more than they'll create one just for me.

Someday, Popps, I just wish you'd put on your big boy pants and play the game. Accept that you made choices, and accept the consequences that come with them. If you don't like the consequences, then you readjust your choices. Stop crying for the Devs to hand you stuff because you don't like the consequences of your choices. I seriously pity you.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

This is not exactly true. When your guild owns felucca then it's easy mode and you won. Felucca is too dead for this to matter as if you are not going to hot spots then it doesn't matter. Since the maps are no longer static locations your perspective is useless. Noone is going around looking for treasure hunters diggin up chests in felucca.

The problem is the lack of unique new items you guys put into the game. When you put in 1(or a limited number of items) every 6 months and put it in one location you fail. This is obvious to the people who play the game.

So put on your big girl panty's and let reds go to whatever ruleset they want but still be unable to kill(or be killed by) other players. Turn them blue but keep the murderer identification. People will **** and moan but it would be a better alternative than making trammies go to fel and pissing on the majority of your base.

Ovjviously, you need to either start playing the damn game or find someone on your team that actually does and ask them before you talk about your perspectives and your observations of a game you people have no clue about.

That being said I'm in favor of the the TMap changes for the most part. I am in disagreeance with those who think mining should be out of the t hunter temp and am disappointed you don't have to have detect trap to get the full effect or an advantage.

I don't think pardon's should be available in felucca but I also realize the people doing the maps won't be doing them there in the numbers they will in the other facets so it's only a technical sticking point and not one big enough to get up in arms about.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
... it might give you some insight into why we put things in Felucca only. It's not to "force" pvp to happen, that happens naturally because people are ornery. It's more accurate to say we "force" people not to pvp in the Trammel rule set to make the game more accessible to casual and new players.
Get real. It's an attempt to draw those "casual and new players" into fel as prey for the PKers. Thinking we're gullible enough to buy that line of malarky is insulting your customers.

We just look at such things you say as serious and rolleyes:.

Nyses

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ok, to get the thread back on track.

I FINALLY got a map out of a chest, that WAS one level higher. I got a 4th level Map out of a 3rd level Chest. That was the first map in 4, that was a higher level, the rest were the same level.

What about level 6 chests, can we get a 7th level map out of them? Ya ya, I know we cannot.

One other osbervation, Why even have recipie scrolls in the chests? They are beyond worhtless now, as every crafter already has every scroll, and there is NOTHING that can be done with them other than eat them. Take those out and give us Regs back, please.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
... it might give you some insight into why we put things in Felucca only. It's not to "force" pvp to happen, that happens naturally because people are ornery. It's more accurate to say we "force" people not to pvp in the Trammel rule set to make the game more accessible to casual and new players.
Get real. It's an attempt to draw those "casual and new players" into fel as prey for the PKers. Thinking we're gullible enough to buy that line of malarky is insulting your customers.

We just look at such things you say as serious and rolleyes:.
Exactly..... somewhat like calling your player base... carebears.... not a bright maneuver.

Xalan Dementia

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All pardons will do is make fel the way it should be, where you cant easily judge a character by the color of thier name. Think about it, a murderer doesnt advertise that hes a killer, so why should the color of the characters name advertise who they are.
What is everyones deal with not wanting red chars blue again? I mean it really cant hurt the game like some are saying, so what if an item makes it easier for someone to redeem thier red. EASIER being the key word, they already have ways to become blue again and no one complains there do they? So if ya want less pardons dropping, then better double the length of time it takes to wait out a murder count, oh and make soulstones not work for reds, that way tram is safe from blue named murderers!
Seriously people, I think your all getting into a tizzy over pardons because you have nothing else to argue about.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All pardons will do is make fel the way it should be, where you cant easily judge a character by the color of thier name. Think about it, a murderer doesnt advertise that hes a killer, so why should the color of the characters name advertise who they are.
What is everyones deal with not wanting red chars blue again? I mean it really cant hurt the game like some are saying, so what if an item makes it easier for someone to redeem thier red. EASIER being the key word, they already have ways to become blue again and no one complains there do they? So if ya want less pardons dropping, then better double the length of time it takes to wait out a murder count, oh and make soulstones not work for reds, that way tram is safe from blue named murderers!
Seriously people, I think your all getting into a tizzy over pardons because you have nothing else to argue about.
The only real penalty for being red is being restricted to fel. And this wont change to real murderers out there who love their counts and only want to see them go up. Namely the ones with thousands of counts, lol.

As for blues...I've been pked by more blues than reds only to see them in Luna minutes later. If they turn red, I see them in Luna maybe the next day. This wont change anything.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just takes a bit of common sense, knowing what's going on where, when and how or if you want to be around or stay away from it.
The lack of this, is what caused tram in the first place. Back pre tram I NEVER got pked. Why? I knew where it was stupid to go, and I only went there prepared for attack, and as such was able to evade my attackers. On the other hand tons of people would go to pk hot spots and act shocked when a troop of reds flooded in, then they had to come here and cry about it.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The problem was pre-Trammel, there were areas of the game people simply could not experience even on a PvE level and because of that, subscriptions were being lost (ESPECIALLY when EQ came out).

Post Trammel, that's no longer the case.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Instead of this, I had a thought...

DECREASE the need for mining... instead of needing GM for the full effect, cut it in half so that you only need up to 50 skill for the full effect (10.0 skill per tile distance). It would open up a few points as well as retain the need to develop the proper template.

S

Sergul'zan_SP

I bolded the part I consider relevant to the discussion...

This is what has been happening for years now, because, the Developers let it happen.

Personally, I think this was a HUGE mistake and it hurt the game a whole lot deterring many players from either playing it or continue playing.

Why ?

I have explained my point of view several times, I will try explain it once again.

Whether Powerscrolls are needed or not to play the game, it is largely irrelevant.

What matters, is what players "feel" and, most players feel that, whether they PvM or PvP they do need Powerscrolls.

Unfortunately, because the developers allowed a limited number of players to hold tight a Monopoly of Powerscrolls, this, as you yourself point out in your reply, has "artificially" kept for many many years the price of Powerscrolls as very very high. much higher than they ever should have been.

This caused, as I see it, mainly two big problems to the game.

# 1
It forced players cut out from getting powerscrolls themselves to have to spend countless hours on boring and tedious activities (as you yourself describe them...) in order to make the many many millions needed to buy Powerscrolls and this eventually got them fed up and bored with the game and had them leave it (loss of subscriptions)

This also deterred new or returning players to stick with the game when they realized the daunting task that was before them and how many millions they needed to buy themselves the powerscrolls needed. More loss of subscriptions

# 2
It brought a huge amount of wealth (from the sale of said powerscrolls) into the hands of a very limited number of players (those holding tight the Monopoly of Powerscrolls) and this wealth was invested in top notch weaponry and items with maxed out modifiers which made these players almost impossible to be beaten in fights in an item based game where it is modifiers who decides who wins and who looses a fight.

The consequence of this has been an impossible "catching up" to do for players not already at the top of the pyramid, and a daunting task, which may have made several move onto other games rather than waste their time on a catching up which was just too time consuming, or which needed more time than what the player had at hand to spend on the game. Result ? More loss of subscriptions.

My point of view is, that there is a reason why UO's subscriptions are lower than they were and to my thinking, it is NOT because the game is old or because of its graphics, the graphics is merely a way to attract new players but no matter how nice looking a game might be, if the content and design is not sound and good, the players after trying out the nicely looking game, would not stay and move elsewhere.

The problem with UO, IMHO, is PvP which is not balanced and levelled out (and this is because it has become too heavily item based, IMHO). Fights are NOT open ended and there is way, but really way too much weight on items and mods in determining who wins what fight.

This might play a role in turning down new and returning players, especially if they do not have too much time to spend on the game.

Having "baits" (powerscrolls ?) is not the right way, IMHO, to have players be "forced" into PvP.

Players should seek PvP for the sake of it, because fighting a human controlled character is much more thrilling and challenging than an A.I. run one.

But in order to achieve this, it is necessary to get rid of all cheats in the game (scripts and hacks) and item modifiers should be made to have MUCH less relevance in fights.

The outcome of fights should not be dictated by who has the best weapons or gear, but on who plays out the battle with the best fighting strategy and tactics.

So, kill all modifiers making their fighting effect close to nothing and instead bring up readily available tools like potions, special moves and the like which ANY and ALL players can use and sport with only these being a determining factor in saying who wins what fight (better battle strategy/tactics).

Only in this way, I think, will it be possible to have more people get interested in PvP and want to fight it. The key, as I see it, is ensuring that fights are at all times open ended with either party able to win them.

As of now, instead, most often fights end up with the same parties winning and this, obviously, deters players from participating.

Pkilling must bring consequences to help contain the problem and not have it spread widely too much, and murder counts can be one such consequence which helps reduce the problem and help contain it.

If pardons lift too much this burden then the containment to the problem will itself be lifted and the whole reason to have murder counts will become pointless.

That's how I personally see the problem.
Hammer? Meet nail... This is what I've been saying since AoS came out...balance the playing field rather than piling newer and more extravagant items to further the advantage of the ungodly rich.

G

Gowron

I bolded the part I consider relevant to the discussion...

This is what has been happening for years now, because, the Developers let it happen.

Personally, I think this was a HUGE mistake and it hurt the game a whole lot deterring many players from either playing it or continue playing.

Why ?

I have explained my point of view several times, I will try explain it once again.

Whether Powerscrolls are needed or not to play the game, it is largely irrelevant.

What matters, is what players "feel" and, most players feel that, whether they PvM or PvP they do need Powerscrolls.

Unfortunately, because the developers allowed a limited number of players to hold tight a Monopoly of Powerscrolls, this, as you yourself point out in your reply, has "artificially" kept for many many years the price of Powerscrolls as very very high. much higher than they ever should have been.

This caused, as I see it, mainly two big problems to the game.

# 1
It forced players cut out from getting powerscrolls themselves to have to spend countless hours on boring and tedious activities (as you yourself describe them...) in order to make the many many millions needed to buy Powerscrolls and this eventually got them fed up and bored with the game and had them leave it (loss of subscriptions)

This also deterred new or returning players to stick with the game when they realized the daunting task that was before them and how many millions they needed to buy themselves the powerscrolls needed. More loss of subscriptions

# 2
It brought a huge amount of wealth (from the sale of said powerscrolls) into the hands of a very limited number of players (those holding tight the Monopoly of Powerscrolls) and this wealth was invested in top notch weaponry and items with maxed out modifiers which made these players almost impossible to be beaten in fights in an item based game where it is modifiers who decides who wins and who looses a fight.

The consequence of this has been an impossible "catching up" to do for players not already at the top of the pyramid, and a daunting task, which may have made several move onto other games rather than waste their time on a catching up which was just too time consuming, or which needed more time than what the player had at hand to spend on the game. Result ? More loss of subscriptions.

My point of view is, that there is a reason why UO's subscriptions are lower than they were and to my thinking, it is NOT because the game is old or because of its graphics, the graphics is merely a way to attract new players but no matter how nice looking a game might be, if the content and design is not sound and good, the players after trying out the nicely looking game, would not stay and move elsewhere.

The problem with UO, IMHO, is PvP which is not balanced and levelled out (and this is because it has become too heavily item based, IMHO). Fights are NOT open ended and there is way, but really way too much weight on items and mods in determining who wins what fight.

This might play a role in turning down new and returning players, especially if they do not have too much time to spend on the game.

Having "baits" (powerscrolls ?) is not the right way, IMHO, to have players be "forced" into PvP.

Players should seek PvP for the sake of it, because fighting a human controlled character is much more thrilling and challenging than an A.I. run one.

But in order to achieve this, it is necessary to get rid of all cheats in the game (scripts and hacks) and item modifiers should be made to have MUCH less relevance in fights.

The outcome of fights should not be dictated by who has the best weapons or gear, but on who plays out the battle with the best fighting strategy and tactics.

So, kill all modifiers making their fighting effect close to nothing and instead bring up readily available tools like potions, special moves and the like which ANY and ALL players can use and sport with only these being a determining factor in saying who wins what fight (better battle strategy/tactics).

Only in this way, I think, will it be possible to have more people get interested in PvP and want to fight it. The key, as I see it, is ensuring that fights are at all times open ended with either party able to win them.

As of now, instead, most often fights end up with the same parties winning and this, obviously, deters players from participating.

Pkilling must bring consequences to help contain the problem and not have it spread widely too much, and murder counts can be one such consequence which helps reduce the problem and help contain it.

If pardons lift too much this burden then the containment to the problem will itself be lifted and the whole reason to have murder counts will become pointless.

That's how I personally see the problem.
Hammer? Meet nail... This is what I've been saying since AoS came out...balance the playing field rather than piling newer and more extravagant items to further the advantage of the ungodly rich.
First of all, I don't have a problem with power scrolls driving PvP. It is what it is. Quite frankly, PvP'g for the sake of PvP'g is really kind of lame. I didn't really enjoy fighting wars in UO just for the sake of fighting a war. Body counts get to be boring rather quickly. However, fighting for an objective whether it be control of a town (factions), control of a spawn, the rewards of an IDOC, or quite frankly to convince an unruly neighbor to relocate were solid reasons to PvP and made the PvP that much sweeter when objectives were obtained and that much more bitter when encountering failure. Either way, the excitement is much higher when striving to reach a goal or risking complete loss in utter defeat.

I'm not convinced that cheating is really that widespread, though I do recognize that it is there, that it's wrong, and that it leaves a lasting poor impression that erroneously gets put on all who PvP actively.
Second, as you mention tactics and strategies as being relevant to what should consist of solid PvP fights, well, it is already there, and is likely a solid reason why proverbial "trammies" get their butts handed to them from time to time.
Sound strategies are as follows:
Teamwork and coordination is a MUST. This will outweigh items if done properly.
You must be familiar with the environment that you are fighting in. Are there chokepoints? Is there an escape route if the fight goes bad? Where will you assemble to reorganize and reattack if the fight goes bad?
Who is responsible for what function, based on your fighting styles?
One thing I've noticed in Fel PvP is that the fight is rarely a 1v1 and most likely many v many.

The problem is that the above pointers are not "easy" to achieve. The proverbial "Fel Guilds" or "PvP Guilds" have, for the most part, done the above items and have practiced enough to be fairly proficient. Thus, as people tend to desire instant gratification, they lose heart fast and yield the win to the "Fel Guilds" and walk away never to make the attempt again. The cold fact is, you won't win the first time, and you may not win the first hundred times. The true success might come in that 101st try, but sadly, few people have that kind of intestinal fortitude to pony up.

I do agree with you on the point of consequences for going into "murderer" status. It used to be that the only town reds could go into unhindered was Bucc's Den lest they be guard whacked. It used to be that a red had a bit of time to either stay dead or enter stat loss upon res. Quite frankly, if the Devs are going to bring back mining as a big feature for the new generation of treasure maps, that this is not unreasonable to bring back the negative consequences of going red.

G

GreekHero

First of all, I don't have a problem with power scrolls driving PvP. It is what it is. Quite frankly, PvP'g for the sake of PvP'g is really kind of lame. I didn't really enjoy fighting wars in UO just for the sake of fighting a war. Body counts get to be boring rather quickly. However, fighting for an objective whether it be control of a town (factions), control of a spawn, the rewards of an IDOC, or quite frankly to convince an unruly neighbor to relocate were solid reasons to PvP and made the PvP that much sweeter when objectives were obtained and that much more bitter when encountering failure. Either way, the excitement is much higher when striving to reach a goal or risking complete loss in utter defeat.

I'm not convinced that cheating is really that widespread, though I do recognize that it is there, that it's wrong, and that it leaves a lasting poor impression that erroneously gets put on all who PvP actively.
Second, as you mention tactics and strategies as being relevant to what should consist of solid PvP fights, well, it is already there, and is likely a solid reason why proverbial "trammies" get their butts handed to them from time to time.
Sound strategies are as follows:
Teamwork and coordination is a MUST. This will outweigh items if done properly.
You must be familiar with the environment that you are fighting in. Are there chokepoints? Is there an escape route if the fight goes bad? Where will you assemble to reorganize and reattack if the fight goes bad?
Who is responsible for what function, based on your fighting styles?
One thing I've noticed in Fel PvP is that the fight is rarely a 1v1 and most likely many v many.

The problem is that the above pointers are not "easy" to achieve. The proverbial "Fel Guilds" or "PvP Guilds" have, for the most part, done the above items and have practiced enough to be fairly proficient. Thus, as people tend to desire instant gratification, they lose heart fast and yield the win to the "Fel Guilds" and walk away never to make the attempt again. The cold fact is, you won't win the first time, and you may not win the first hundred times. The true success might come in that 101st try, but sadly, few people have that kind of intestinal fortitude to pony up.

I do agree with you on the point of consequences for going into "murderer" status. It used to be that the only town reds could go into unhindered was Bucc's Den lest they be guard whacked. It used to be that a red had a bit of time to either stay dead or enter stat loss upon res. Quite frankly, if the Devs are going to bring back mining as a big feature for the new generation of treasure maps, that this is not unreasonable to bring back the negative consequences of going red.
Good points but I think the original poster was trying to say that tactics in solo 1vs1 pvp do not exist any more because 1vs1 pvp does not exist plain and simple.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have to respectfully disagree, as a miner and t-hunter myself. You are still digging for the treasure, so mining SHOULD be required, even if you are standing right on top of it. I felt the game lost a little something when they removed you having to have remove traps tp open chest. It should still have been a requirement for level 5 and 6 maps.

Here are the changes I'd make:
You must have at least 50 mining to dig up a map, even if you are standing right on top of it. 0 mining means you don't have a clue how to do it.

If you remove cartography from the character that decoded the map, you can no longer read it, as you have lost the knowledge you need to do it. And until you can read it again, you cannot dig up the treasure.

Add back remove traps as a requirement for at least the higher level chest (5 and 6). Though, I have since lost the remove traps skill since I didn't need it and didn't have a soul stone to dump it off on. But, still, I'd like to see that requirement back.

After messing around on test center, I feel the guardians should be a little harder and the loot in level 4, 5, 6 chest should be upped as well.

Also, since you can find a t-map of +1 level in the chest itself, I'd like to see level 7, 8, 9 and 10 maps. Where a level 10 map would be like a peerless mob spawn.

Nyses

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since this thread has gotten down to Mining and Cart and T-hunting, in my opinion Mining should NOT have anything to do with digging up treasure chests.

Mining is the abilty to find Ore and other precious matterials naturally occuring. Cartography is the abilty to read maps and locations.

I do not care how good you are at mining, if you are digging in the wrong place you will NEVER find the treasure on the map. However the better your Cartography, presumably, the better you can decipher the Map and the closer you can get to the exact spot.

How does Mining help you find the right spot on a map? Can you just dig a lot faster with much larger holes everywhere?

As for having to have Cart, Lockpicking and Remove Trap on the template, Yes, I think a T-hunter should require all of them. Why would setting off an Explosion trap, NOT damage some of the goodies inside?

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wanted to add-

All the skills should be required on the t-hunter at some level and maybe some kind of bonus for having higher skills.

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Popps,

I'd get in here and argue because we definitely share the same viewpoints and opinions as far as the BS of Power scroll being limited to Felucca. However you sir are doing a fine job in articulating your points and I believe you’re on a roll and doing such a fine job there's really not much to add.

I will concur with you on a few points:

Your absolutely right that the Reds are not going to be buying from the Trammels players because the Reds/Feluccans have their own trammel characters and they will be getting their own pardons if they so choose.

Fortunately I've transferred to a remote shard where I can farm all the power scrolls I want in peace but the fact remains that it's total BS. Feluccans are not missing out on any aspects of UO because they can access all of UO with both their Feluccans Faction/Red characters and their blue Trammel characters. The opposite cannot be said of Tram elites entering into Felucca.

It's baffles me is how difficult it is for people to grasp something that is so simple...and this unfortunately from previous posts include those who are running the game. The lead producer doesn't seem to understand it as was evidenced by Marks post above!rolleyes:

It is much easier for PvP'ers to enter into trammel than it is for those of us who can't PvP to stand our ground and defend ourselves against hackers, cheaters, and exploiters on Feluccan soil. It is mind-blowing that people argue against this very obvious reality.

There shouldn't be carrots (power scrolls) in Felucca that are there to lure lambs to the slaughter, which is exactly what happens. I've been victim of this myself firsthand and have been raided many times and seen Barracoon healed after spending a good hour working the spawn only to have my time and efforts robbed of me. Hence why I've decided to move to a low population shard and spawn in peace.

It doesn't promote PvP because I can't defend myself nor do I want to under the current PvP system. I just want to get my power scrolls and get the hell out of Felucca.

Back in the day when I did PvP and that was the Era of UO: R when there was actually skill in the game with pre-casting mages and halberds you didn't need an incentive to draw people into PvP'ing. They did it because they wanted to.

If EA really wants to do something to promote PvP then they need to create a Classic Shard that has been clamored for for almost 10 years now.

When I came back to UO and I saw dismount right then and there I knew PvP had gone to hell in a hand basket and the PvP System is so screwed up from when it used to be back during UO:R where there was real skill involved that I refuse to participate. And from what I hear it's becoming even more item dependent despite the introduction of imbueing to level the playing field and give new players an oppurtunity at 'good' gear.

If you want kickass PvP you need to remove the dependency on items and make it where GM craftable items were top of the line like during UO:R. I love UO today and the PvM but until they do a major overhaul of the PvP system I will be staying in trammel and farming power scrolls on a secluded shard.

That's my 2 Cents. Popps I agree with you 100%. Keep up the great posts even if it's like your talking to a brick wall in trying to explain something so obvious. :thumbup1:

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is where there is a gap and will be my last post in this thread as it is getting OT.

To test your metal and the thrill of battle should be enough to make you want to PvP. That's how it was in UO's heydey. You didn't need reward or carrot. You didn't need to play capture the flag. You PvP'd for the thrill of the action, for bragging rights, and most importantly to test your skill. And here I guess is where the major disconnect it...skill seems to be so lacking because PvP has become so item dependent.:(

There used to be people in large groups that we get together and duel on top of wrong or Hedge Maze for hours and hours. Guilds would get together amongst themselves and duel. Hold tournaments...

Why because the amount of skill involved was so high during that era (UO:R). Unfortunately I don't think there are too many around these days that know what I'm talking about in fact many of them are probably playing on freeshards not because it's free but because of the PvP system.

But the fact that you have no problem with Powerscrolls being apart of what drives PvP speaks volumes as to how ****ty the PvP system is.

Here in an excerpt my guild about our exodus from UO back in the day circa 1992. The site (http://blackdragonbrotherhood.com/index-news.html) was recently posted for nostalgia reasons and to reminisce about the glory days.

"That old addage is true: All good things must come to an end.

After Competing on the Sonoma shard from the beginning, it is finally time to throw in the towel. The Black Dragon Brotherhood is now retired from fighting under the flag: BD. The stone will remain, but it will become a standard guild stone and all wars will be ceased.

There is no specific reason for this retirement- although it has been apparent it was forthcoming, over the past few months- the current state of UO, and how much it has changed can be largely credited. Many of the changes over the past few months have promoted a completely different change to the Player Vs. Player atmosphere, and the game has become less attractive."

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good god...if something does NOT have an effect on you, there should be NO reason to complain. Shut up already whiners...thank you.

Nyses

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good god...if something does NOT have an effect on you, there should be NO reason to complain. Shut up already whiners...thank you.
Watch it Cowboy, now we will start to get grandios explainations (involving 6 degrees of separation) as to why any game issue will affect said player.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Watch it Cowboy, now we will start to get grandios explainations (involving 6 degrees of separation) as to why any game issue will affect said player.
Heh...already been done. The delusional thoughts seem to come out of the woodwork in threads like these. Also, I should have stated that nothing negative would affect them...seeing as how they are likely to get rich off people like myself who would like to make their reds blue again. (Three chars I would like to make blue...150 counts...2 mil per pardon...thats 300 mil these same crybabies look to get from selling off something they don't even need!)

Aerodice

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I keep getting a message on a map. "You stop digging cause you can not see the right location.". Its just right of Jhelom farm.
I have received this exact message for 3 maps (all trammel maps). I have been unable to dig up the chest via several means such as changing digging location and angle as well as toggling on/off circle of transparency.