• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The results of 25 Level 6 maps on Test Center

S

Sevin0oo0

I've seen 'Brittle' on several items, wonder what that means?
Also wonder if the ones with charges are rechargeable ?
Can durability be changed, either direction?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The publish notes say:
New Property : Brittle. These items cannot be fortified.

I believe the sash comes in 2 types, weapon damage or spell damage. I am attempting to collate the information we have coming in.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've seen 'Brittle' on several items, wonder what that means?
Also wonder if the ones with charges are rechargeable ?
Can durability be changed, either direction?
Brittle means that you cannot use powder of fortification on it.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL , a grubber appeared out of nowhere and stole something out of a level 6 chest. He ran fast away. Had to kill it to get the item back. :)

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Having done several thousand level 5/6 maps- for me, part of the best thing about the maps was the spawn. More than a few times I would get 3 or 4 Ancient Wurms....

Anyway, on to my opinions as a t-hunter.

1. Bring back the regs. Please.
2. The scrolls too, they were good for selling and filling books.
3. Intensity level of items- at most 2-3 top end items should be in the chest. Unless the level of difficulty in doing the chest is going to increase, I can't see having like Dark Father level loot from a chest. Without it being harder.
4. Have the items in the chest affected by luck! :)

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In my opinion, all of Fel is akin to the the Wild West or a Pirate's seaport - and should remain so! If a Trammie like myself wants to venture forth into the "Danger Zone", then do so with the full knowledge that you can - and most likely will - be murdered.

Power Scrolls, SOT 3.0's and hard to get replicas should be reserved for Fel's denizens, us Trammies have plenty of other items to trade for them.

The whole idea of the revamped "treasure chest" is to make Treasure Hunting lucrative again, so the drop rate for the "get out of jail free" passes should remain as it is.
/agree
We have a place for us Trammies to play, and a place for the wild west boys to play. Shouldnt be a problem. And if a red wants to spend his gps on my vendor to buy up all my pardons I have stocked, well, My banker has no problem at all with that! :lol:

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not entirely true. I have three reds with over 100 counts each who went red defending spawns. Once I hit ten counts these chars stayed red and just stuck around to defend spawns instead of doing them. Personally I would like to be able to get them blue again (at least one of them.) However, this is going to take a LONG TIME...not something I can do overnight.
Well that was your choice, and it became group #1, like you said once over 10, but for most with counts 10 and under they tend to be the people burning the counts and are the people who would need these pardons.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's exactly the point and what currently keeps player killing in check.

Many players do NOT wish turn to red.

So, the system works as a containment of player killing.

Allowing pardons to be not rare will allow players to "wipe off" counts way too easily and thus, make them more willing to kill blues more easily thus make player killing a problem again.

Rather than risk loosing more subscriptions for more players rage-quitting due to a new rampant player killing, I'd rather prefer the Developers do things way more carefully at first introducing pardons as a very, but very rare drop and see how it goes and then, over time, slowly adjust the drop rate to a level that is good balanced and would not make player killing too rampant.

Be cautious with pardons is my advice to the Developers. Better not risk a new wave of rage quittings and subscriptions lost.
Do you ever go to fel? There is 1 resource in a game full of valuable things in fel worth going there for. Scrolls. Those scrolls are worth fighting for. If you make being a murderer worse or less attractive, you'll see blues swarming a champ every time a champ spawns.
If you make it more attractive to be red, you'll see more people willing to pvp as there are less punishments for engaging in UO's endgame.

As it stands, if you come anywhere on my screen regardless of what character I'm using. I will try and kill you in fel. If you're near my precious resource which i worked for, I will DEFINITELY kill you. Anyone who pvp's even a small amount acts the same way. If you don't kill them. They take what you worked for.
Or from the other perspective, if you don't kill the spawners they will flood the economy with cheap scrolls forcing you to have to earn gold another way and thus spending more time doing things in game that aren't pvp and almost anything in UO that isn't pvp is tedious.

If you're saying I have to forgo being able to participate in events which are massively profitable for players, story lines which are sometimes engaging or make new characters(which may require new accounts) to simply shop, you're harming my play style more than a pk killing you and looting your potions harms yours.

The pardons need to be, if anything, increased. I want to be able to participate in events and shop without having to switch characters all the time.

C

Curran

What do the vines look like? Are they the creeping vines from the lich spawn or different?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Or from the other perspective, if you don't kill the spawners they will flood the economy with cheap scrolls forcing you to have to earn gold another way and thus spending more time doing things in game that aren't pvp and almost anything in UO that isn't pvp is tedious.

I bolded the part I consider relevant to the discussion...

This is what has been happening for years now, because, the Developers let it happen.

Personally, I think this was a HUGE mistake and it hurt the game a whole lot deterring many players from either playing it or continue playing.

Why ?

I have explained my point of view several times, I will try explain it once again.

Whether Powerscrolls are needed or not to play the game, it is largely irrelevant.

What matters, is what players "feel" and, most players feel that, whether they PvM or PvP they do need Powerscrolls.

Unfortunately, because the developers allowed a limited number of players to hold tight a Monopoly of Powerscrolls, this, as you yourself point out in your reply, has "artificially" kept for many many years the price of Powerscrolls as very very high. much higher than they ever should have been.

This caused, as I see it, mainly two big problems to the game.

# 1
It forced players cut out from getting powerscrolls themselves to have to spend countless hours on boring and tedious activities (as you yourself describe them...) in order to make the many many millions needed to buy Powerscrolls and this eventually got them fed up and bored with the game and had them leave it (loss of subscriptions)

This also deterred new or returning players to stick with the game when they realized the daunting task that was before them and how many millions they needed to buy themselves the powerscrolls needed. More loss of subscriptions

# 2
It brought a huge amount of wealth (from the sale of said powerscrolls) into the hands of a very limited number of players (those holding tight the Monopoly of Powerscrolls) and this wealth was invested in top notch weaponry and items with maxed out modifiers which made these players almost impossible to be beaten in fights in an item based game where it is modifiers who decides who wins and who looses a fight.

The consequence of this has been an impossible "catching up" to do for players not already at the top of the pyramid, and a daunting task, which may have made several move onto other games rather than waste their time on a catching up which was just too time consuming, or which needed more time than what the player had at hand to spend on the game. Result ? More loss of subscriptions.

My point of view is, that there is a reason why UO's subscriptions are lower than they were and to my thinking, it is NOT because the game is old or because of its graphics, the graphics is merely a way to attract new players but no matter how nice looking a game might be, if the content and design is not sound and good, the players after trying out the nicely looking game, would not stay and move elsewhere.

The problem with UO, IMHO, is PvP which is not balanced and levelled out (and this is because it has become too heavily item based, IMHO). Fights are NOT open ended and there is way, but really way too much weight on items and mods in determining who wins what fight.

This might play a role in turning down new and returning players, especially if they do not have too much time to spend on the game.

Having "baits" (powerscrolls ?) is not the right way, IMHO, to have players be "forced" into PvP.

Players should seek PvP for the sake of it, because fighting a human controlled character is much more thrilling and challenging than an A.I. run one.

But in order to achieve this, it is necessary to get rid of all cheats in the game (scripts and hacks) and item modifiers should be made to have MUCH less relevance in fights.

The outcome of fights should not be dictated by who has the best weapons or gear, but on who plays out the battle with the best fighting strategy and tactics.

So, kill all modifiers making their fighting effect close to nothing and instead bring up readily available tools like potions, special moves and the like which ANY and ALL players can use and sport with only these being a determining factor in saying who wins what fight (better battle strategy/tactics).

Only in this way, I think, will it be possible to have more people get interested in PvP and want to fight it. The key, as I see it, is ensuring that fights are at all times open ended with either party able to win them.

As of now, instead, most often fights end up with the same parties winning and this, obviously, deters players from participating.

The pardons need to be, if anything, increased. I want to be able to participate in events and shop without having to switch characters all the time.
Pkilling must bring consequences to help contain the problem and not have it spread widely too much, and murder counts can be one such consequence which helps reduce the problem and help contain it.

If pardons lift too much this burden then the containment to the problem will itself be lifted and the whole reason to have murder counts will become pointless.

That's how I personally see the problem.

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

This is what has been happening for years now, because, the Developers let it happen.

Personally, I think this was a HUGE mistake and it hurt the game a whole lot deterring many players from either playing it or continue playing.

Why ?

I have explained my point of view several times, I will try explain it once again.

Whether Powerscrolls are needed or not to play the game, it is largely irrelevant.

What matters, is what players "feel" and, most players feel that, whether they PvM or PvP they do need Powerscrolls.

Unfortunately, because the developers allowed a limited number of players to hold tight a Monopoly of Powerscrolls, this, as you yourself point out in your reply, has "artificially" kept for many many years the price of Powerscrolls as very very high. much higher than they ever should have been.

# 1
It forced players cut out from getting powerscrolls themselves to have to spend countless hours on boring and tedious activities (as you yourself describe them...) in order to make the many many millions needed to buy Powerscrolls and this eventually got them fed up and bored with the game and had them leave it (loss of subscriptions)

This also deterred new or returning players to stick with the game when they realized the daunting task that was before them and how many millions they needed to buy themselves the powerscrolls needed. More loss of subscriptions

# 2
It brought a huge amount of wealth (from the sale of said powerscrolls) into the hands of a very limited number of players (those holding tight the Monopoly of Powerscrolls) and this wealth was invested in top notch weaponry and items with maxed out modifiers which made these players almost impossible to be beaten in fights in an item based game where it is modifiers who decides who wins and who looses a fight.

The consequence of this has been an impossible "catching up" to do for players not already at the top of the pyramid, and a daunting task, which may have made several move onto other games rather than waste their time on a catching up which was just too time consuming, or which needed more time than what the player had at hand to spend on the game. Result ? More loss of subscriptions.

My point of view is, that there is a reason why UO's subscriptions are lower than they were and to my thinking, it is NOT because the game is old or because of its graphics, the graphics is merely a way to attract new players but no matter how nice looking a game might be, if the content and design is not sound and good, the players after trying out the nicely looking game, would not stay and move elsewhere.

The problem with UO, IMHO, is PvP which is not balanced and levelled out (and this is because it has become too heavily item based, IMHO). Fights are NOT open ended and there is way, but really way too much weight on items and mods in determining who wins what fight.

This might play a role in turning down new and returning players, especially if they do not have too much time to spend on the game.

Having "baits" (powerscrolls ?) is not the right way, IMHO, to have players be "forced" into PvP.

Players should seek PvP for the sake of it, because fighting a human controlled character is much more thrilling and challenging than an A.I. run one.

But in order to achieve this, it is necessary to get rid of all cheats in the game (scripts and hacks) and item modifiers should be made to have MUCH less relevance in fights.

The outcome of fights should not be dictated by who has the best weapons or gear, but on who plays out the battle with the best fighting strategy and tactics.

So, kill all modifiers making their fighting effect close to nothing and instead bring up readily available tools like potions, special moves and the like which ANY and ALL players can use and sport with only these being a determining factor in saying who wins what fight (better battle strategy/tactics).

Only in this way, I think, will it be possible to have more people get interested in PvP and want to fight it. The key, as I see it, is ensuring that fights are at all times open ended with either party able to win them.

As of now, instead, most often fights end up with the same parties winning and this, obviously, deters players from participating.

Pkilling must bring consequences to help contain the problem and not have it spread widely too much, and murder counts can be one such consequence which helps reduce the problem and help contain it.

If pardons lift too much this burden then the containment to the problem will itself be lifted and the whole reason to have murder counts will become pointless.

Blame all you want on who you want, But most of the blame is on you, Its not anyone's fault that you refuse to go to the areas and learn any of the methods to gain said items. You want, want, want but dont want to put in the work. I have all the 120s and stat scrolls I need and have earned all but a couple that I bought. Why is that? Maybe I put in the work and learned to be a team player to get what my previous guild mates and I needed? I earned everyone of my scrolls and really it was not that hard.

Most of the bigger trammie guilds Could in fact do spawns no problem if they would learn how to defend it. From what I have seen On pacific is when a trammie guild does a spawn Prior to being wiped out they are not setting up proper defenses and are busy trying to loot every critter they kill, not wearing the gear suited for the possible raid. they see one red name and instead of syncing and killing him/her they instead scatter like a gazelles when a Lion is in their group. IF the scout/raiding guild is blue they just sit there or leave.

These Pardons are Perfect for the big trammie guilds to go out learn to spawn, they can in fact begin to defend spawns correctly by killing raiding blues with out worry of being perma red. Over you blindness and hate to I like to say full time PvPer's(Murderers dont exist anymore), you over look the big picture for what this can do for the bigger trammie guilds. No longer is the fear of going red defending your spawn a hurdle they have to face, so now it just a matter of learning the proper defense of spawns.
Insurance,Pardons,Proper defense and teamwork,gear = a better opportunity for the trammie guilds to successfully pull off champ spawns.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Blame all you want on who you want, But most of the blame is on you, Its not anyone's fault that you refuse to go to the areas and learn any of the methods to gain said items. You want, want, want but dont want to put in the work. I have all the 120s and stat scrolls I need and have earned all but a couple that I bought. Why is that? Maybe I put in the work and learned to be a team player to get what my previous guild mates and I needed? I earned everyone of my scrolls and really it was not that hard.

I am sorry, but I just do NOT feel like playing PvP games whem my opponents can (and occasionally do...) cheat, script or hack against me because the game one way or the other allows them to, and I refuse to do the same to bring some balance to the fight equation for a more fair and open ended outcome.

And like me, I have met many who simply stay out of PvP because they do not want to deal with others being able to use cheats in the fights.

This is not a choice, mind you, this is refusing to have to cheat in order to play a game for a fair fight. Better not play it althougether.

Of course, this means that many players miss a big component of the game even though they actually pay to experience all parts of the game.

But oh well, it has been like this for way too many years and even now, we still do not know whether there is or not an ETA for all of the anti-cheats we have been waiting for so long (besides, I read about stuff like some scripts will be detected and some won't ? Hallo ??)

Most of the bigger trammie guilds Could in fact do spawns no problem if they would learn how to defend it. From what I have seen On pacific is when a trammie guild does a spawn Prior to being wiped out they are not setting up proper defenses and are busy trying to loot every critter they kill, not wearing the gear suited for the possible raid. they see one red name and instead of syncing and killing him/her they instead scatter like a gazelles when a Lion is in their group. IF the scout/raiding guild is blue they just sit there or leave.

I am sorry, but the Powerscroll spawns have already brought way too much wealth to always the same ones who, over time, have been able to get all the best both in weapons and in gears.
Most players or guilds simply lack the gold to afford being that competitive and so, in a game where all that is needed for the wins is "modifiers", not really battle strategy or tactics or fighting skills, just "best gear and weaponry", this means simply no chance at winning.

The only possibility would be outnumbering the enemy so much that in today's UO, with scarcity of players, it simply is not achievable. So, most times spawns go to always the same ones making them even richer and even richer and capable of getting even more firepower.

These Pardons are Perfect for the big trammie guilds to go out learn to spawn, they can in fact begin to defend spawns correctly by killing raiding blues with out worry of being perma red. Over you blindness and hate to I like to say full time PvPer's(Murderers dont exist anymore), you over look the big picture for what this can do for the bigger trammie guilds. No longer is the fear of going red defending your spawn a hurdle they have to face, so now it just a matter of learning the proper defense of spawns.
Insurance,Pardons,Proper defense and teamwork,gear = a better opportunity for the trammie guilds to successfully pull off champ spawns.
I disagree with that scenario and think otherwise.

I guess we will simply need to wait and see who was right because if pardons will be used to further increase pkilling and deter even more players away from Felucca rather than bring more to Felucca (and perhaps even away from the game due to rage-quits) the game will show it.

Of course, waiting then will be too late to reverse it especially, if subscriptions will have been lost. But this will then be blameable on those who should have foreseen it and instead, did not....

This is why I suggested to introduce these pardons slowly, at a MUCH lower rate than what they appear to drop now. This way, it will be possible to see what use is done of them, whether to help PvP or simply for players to pkill and grief other players more easily.

The Devs could even code in a monitoring feature that tracks which character used what pardon and what their actions were after using that pardon.

Then, run some statistics and see how the pardons have been used. If the data show that pardons are abused to increase pkilling and griefing of other players then take them out right away.

When an addition can potentially be so harmfull to the game (subscriptions wise), I think it is advisable that it is introduced with all safety and concerns that such a potentially harmfull thing deserves.

But that's just the way I think.

G

GreekHero

Why ?

# 1

# 2

Very well said.

I have 3 open accounts for 8 years now but was only logging in here and there for the past 4 years (my job did not help me with playing UO). I came back full time playing for the past 2 months. I am not going to emphasize how confused and lost I am with the current changes and uber super items that popped out of nowhere and how HARD it is for us returning players to PVP or even attempt to PVP. I do see your point that skill today is minimized to a very small percentage in the whole experience. Before anyone jumps on me, I do have a red old style poisoner, fencer, stealther that used dismount-bleed with pitchfork and then switched to poisoned kryss, most fun template ever BACK in the day. So I know what skill means in the game which is almost non existent today from all I see.

But I have to say that: Pardons is a ridiculous addition to the game (even if this makes my t-hunter rich). I always thought that you are either red or blue in Fel, PERIOD. There should be consequences for killing a blue player and the current system with counts works fine. The "gray" area characters (having 4-6 counts) are the ones that really destroy the game play for others. When you see a red, you avoid a red. Now all we will see is the typical rich characters that can PK whoever they want to without any consequences.
Oh and before I hear the protecting the loot excuse, bring some reds with you when you do the spawn or suffer the consequences if you start killing other blues. By allowing pardons you will completely be able to crush small guilds' spawns 24/7 and this will give more strength to the already established guilds.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Very well said.

First and foremost, thank you.

I have 3 open accounts for 8 years now but was only logging in here and there for the past 4 years (my job did not help me with playing UO). I came back full time playing for the past 2 months. I am not going to emphasize how confused and lost I am with the current changes and uber super items that popped out of nowhere and how HARD it is for us returning players to PVP or even attempt to PVP. I do see your point that skill today is minimized to a very small percentage in the whole experience. Before anyone jumps on me, I do have a red old style poisoner, fencer, stealther that used dismount-bleed with pitchfork and then switched to poisoned kryss, most fun template ever BACK in the day. So I know what skill means in the game which is almost non existent today from all I see.

Welcome back to the greatest game of all.

My best suggestion would be to first join Factions so that you can get good items rather cheaply. You can bring those items to Trammel and hunt with them there to make some gold and get better items.

In the meantime, make an imbuer, better if a Gargoyle. Once you get the skill up enough you will be able to make your own custom made items that fit your template and playing style so as to make you again competitive in PvP.

Luckily, you are back at a time when (it seems) finally something is being done against those who cheat in the game and in PvP.
So, hopefully, soon the concern about others cheating to win PvP fights will no longer exist (crossing fingers...).

I hope you are enjoying the game again.

Widow Maker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Pardons will be a GREAT addition to the game. It's implications to activity in Fel are amazingly HUGE. It's implications to activity on all the other *shudder* Trammel facets are equally as HUGE.

Failure to see these is a direct indications to one's limitations and experience with not only the UO player but the game itself and quite possibly a good indicator of a flawed thinking process.

Clear your clouded prejudices and think about it. THINK about it...!!! That ONE item and what it means, in it's entirety, to game play as a whole.

All the other stuff is just fluff, but this one item's addition to the game is just beyond good description.

Hats off to the Devs on this one. :thumbup1: :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

(When have you EVER heard me say that)

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The Pardons will be a GREAT addition to the game. It's implications to activity in Fel are amazingly HUGE. It's implications to activity on all the other *shudder* Trammel facets are equally as HUGE.

Failure to see these is a direct indications to one's limitations and experience with not only the UO player but the game itself and quite possibly a good indicator of a flawed thinking process.

Clear your clouded prejudices and think about it. THINK about it...!!! That ONE item and what it means, in it's entirety, to game play as a whole.

All the other stuff is just fluff, but this one item's addition to the game is just beyond good description.

Clear our clouded prejudices ?? Did you just type that after explaining how you had to "shudder" upon the mention of the word trammel ???

Widow Maker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am sorry, but I just do NOT feel like playing PvP games whem my opponents can (and occasionally do...) cheat, script or hack against me because the game one way or the other allows them to, and I refuse to do the same to bring some balance to the fight equation for a more fair and open ended outcome.

And like me, I have met many who simply stay out of PvP because they do not want to deal with others being able to use cheats in the fights.

This is not a choice, mind you, this is refusing to have to cheat in order to play a game for a fair fight. Better not play it althougether.

Of course, this means that many players miss a big component of the game even though they actually pay to experience all parts of the game.

But oh well, it has been like this for way too many years and even now, we still do not know whether there is or not an ETA for all of the anti-cheats we have been waiting for so long (besides, I read about stuff like some scripts will be detected and some won't ? Hallo ??)

I am sorry, but the Powerscroll spawns have already brought way too much wealth to always the same ones who, over time, have been able to get all the best both in weapons and in gears.
Most players or guilds simply lack the gold to afford being that competitive and so, in a game where all that is needed for the wins is "modifiers", not really battle strategy or tactics or fighting skills, just "best gear and weaponry", this means simply no chance at winning.

The only possibility would be outnumbering the enemy so much that in today's UO, with scarcity of players, it simply is not achievable. So, most times spawns go to always the same ones making them even richer and even richer and capable of getting even more firepower.

I disagree with that scenario and think otherwise.

I guess we will simply need to wait and see who was right because if pardons will be used to further increase pkilling and deter even more players away from Felucca rather than bring more to Felucca (and perhaps even away from the game due to rage-quits) the game will show it.

Of course, waiting then will be too late to reverse it especially, if subscriptions will have been lost. But this will then be blameable on those who should have foreseen it and instead, did not....

This is why I suggested to introduce these pardons slowly, at a MUCH lower rate than what they appear to drop now. This way, it will be possible to see what use is done of them, whether to help PvP or simply for players to pkill and grief other players more easily.

The Devs could even code in a monitoring feature that tracks which character used what pardon and what their actions were after using that pardon.

Then, run some statistics and see how the pardons have been used. If the data show that pardons are abused to increase pkilling and griefing of other players then take them out right away.

When an addition can potentially be so harmfull to the game (subscriptions wise), I think it is advisable that it is introduced with all safety and concerns that such a potentially harmfull thing deserves.

But that's just the way I think.
Popps, your never ending *requests* (also well known by other not so nice adjectives and nouns) are still showing you to be nothing but a "I want..want..want..and I am not going to do anything or put forth any effort to get it..just give it to me" player. Not your judge and not saying it is necessarily a "bad" or "good" thing, it is still disappointing. I would have hoped you would have grown into some sort of responsible player by now.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The Pardons will be a GREAT addition to the game. It's implications to activity in Fel are amazingly HUGE.

I find that the VAST majority of PK "pardons" will be coming from Trammel based rulesets acquired by Trammel-based players (treasure hunters) to be WONDERFUL irony.

Makes an interesting counterpoint to the powerscrolls in Fel.

Widow Maker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Clear our clouded prejudices ?? Did you just type that after explaining how you had to "shudder" upon the mention of the word trammel ???
Not a prejudice at all..it's just the thought of playing or living in a no risk environment is and has always been repugnant to me. Just a personal choice. I certainly buy their items though, and they buy my Fel items. We get along GREAT.

Widow Maker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The Pardons will be a GREAT addition to the game. It's implications to activity in Fel are amazingly HUGE.

I find that the VAST majority of PK "pardons" will be coming from Trammel based rulesets acquired by Trammel-based players (treasure hunters) to be WONDERFUL irony.

Spot on. You sir, seem to be a clear thinker. Nice to meet you.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Spot on. You sir, seem to be a clear thinker. Nice to meet you.
I'll be leaving mine in the chest. :) So much for heroes and villains...

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's another issue... I hope they dont allow scrolls to be sold on vendors :)

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I doubt they would do that (not really sure that they can). Unless the item is specifically "no drop", there's no real way to prevent them from being traded and thus sold in some way.

Again, it's an ironic situation that the counted PKs in order to drop counts via the pardons will likely have to acquire the pardons from Trammel-based players.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been working my way through the lower level chests by facet so that I can record what guardians spawn. I've just done the first level 4. I haven't seen one of these 'too frequent spawning' pardons yet. I did see my first 'grubber' and the darn EV I'd cast to help clear the guardians went and killed it before I could get a screenie and lore it! Doh!

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Petra, are the guardians or loot tables facet specific (i.e. Tokuno having Tokuno based creatures and treasures) or do they follow the normal listings regardless of facet (taking out special items, grubbers and whatnot)?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Could you please EXPLAIN in details WHY you think it would be such a good addition ?

I understand you like it, but could you please go a little further and, DETAIL the reasons why you like it ?

I think I explained why I do NOT like them and what concerns me.

Thank you.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

How can you say that ????

First thing, the market will be FAR smaller than what the request for Powerscrolls ever was and is.

Second thing, most (if not all) reds have blues and can play anywhere in the game and hunt for their pardons on their own without needing to buy them from anyone.

Thid thing, Maps are also for Felucca and even if reds had no blues, they could still do their maps in Felucca and get their pardons on their own without any need to buy them.

By all means I cannot see Pardons as any counterpart to Powerscrolls, AT ALL.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been working my way through the lower level chests by facet so that I can record what guardians spawn. I've just done the first level 4. I haven't seen one of these 'too frequent spawning' pardons yet. I did see my first 'grubber' and the darn EV I'd cast to help clear the guardians went and killed it before I could get a screenie and lore it! Doh!
Hey Petra I've only seen grubbers when I fail to pick the lock. May just be coincidence as only a few have spawned. You may want to try lowering lockpicking to fail to see if that is a trigger for it. Else i'm sure you will get another chance at a screenie before you are done. Also I have seen a "dust" graphic in the chest when you fail to pick and the gas disolves an item. It looks like thin hay I think. Of course when i tried to pick it up it went poof.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Again, it's an ironic situation that the counted PKs in order to drop counts via the pardons will likely have to acquire the pardons from Trammel-based players.

I am getting confused......

You keep saying "Trammel-based" as if reds did not have blues who can perfectly play anywhere in UO or as if Treasure maps in FELUCCA did not spawn Forged Pardons.......

Has anyone tested this so far ? Treasure Maps done in Felucca do not spawn Forged Pardons ??

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Seriously, where do you think the VAST majority of pardons are going to come from? Where do you think the MAJORITY of treasure chests are going to be dug up?

Trammel, Ilshenar, Tokuno, Malas, Ter Mur (count these as Trammel-based)

or

Felucca?

And how many PvP-based Treasure Hunters have you heard about?

All it takes is a little bit of common sense about the playstyles to come to the answers of the above.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
^^

I am sure most Trammel players would be happy for a swap. i.e. Powerscrolls only spawn in treasure chests anywhere, and Pardons only spawn in Fel/T2A champs.

As I am also sure that many "professional" sellers (an illegal activity because EA owns everything and you cant sell stuff you dont own) want to keep things as they are.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Seriously, where do you think the VAST majority of pardons are going to come from? Where do you think the MAJORITY of treasure chests are going to be dug up?

Trammel, Ilshenar, Tokuno, Malas, Ter Mur (count these as Trammel-based)

or

Felucca?

And how many PvP-based Treasure Hunters have you heard about?

All it takes is a little bit of common sense about the playstyles to come to the answers of the above.

Well, my point was, that debating that Pardons could be a mirroring revenue source like Powerscrolls is really far fetched.

Nowhere will Pardons be in high demand as Powerscrolls ever were and most (if not all) reds will be perfectly capable of getting their own pardons thus further lowering demand.

I do not think for a minute that Pardons will EVER bring to trammel players the same wealth that Powerscrolls brought to Felucca players. Not even a tiny micro fraction of that large influx of wealth which ended up in the hands of a very small minority of players making them uber powerfull in an item based game.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I'm not sure where "professional" sellers comes in in this specific argument (other than you still beating on that one-note and completely erroneous drum), although the pardons will make for an interesting new dynamic on that front as well.

I believe that the concept implied is that the PK (or an alt on said acct) will have to effectively "grovel" (by grovel I mean deign to have to buy or trade from) to the non-PvP player in order to obtain most pardons. That to me is the "delicious irony" and quite amusing at that.

I'm willing to see how it all plays out.

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Petra, are the guardians or loot tables facet specific (i.e. Tokuno having Tokuno based creatures and treasures) or do they follow the normal listings regardless of facet (taking out special items, grubbers and whatnot)?
The guardians and loot tables are facet specific. For example, Tokuno chests had rune beetle, hiryu, etc. guardians and the chest had samurai armor/weapons.

Widow Maker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am sorry popps but I do not have the time or inclination to sit down and write an essay, to you, about UO.

Suffice it to say that we can agree that your understanding of the game (as a whole), the players and their interactions are something you have simply just not quite figured out. Given your propensity of demanding everything being handed to you on a silver platter, unfortunately, I sincerely doubt you ever will.

If I may make a suggestion; You would do yourself very well if you took a time period, say 1 year, and played nothing but Fellucia. Immerse yourself into it's play styles, it's players, it's limitations and it's idiosyncrasies. Go red on multiple characters. It is a distinctive world that is, at this time, just beyond your mental vision. You can cure that with experience.

All you really know is, for example, driving an automatic...Trammel. A monkey or parakeet can drive an automatic and it is "safe". It's a Volvo on a city side street with a cop on every corner. Birds are chirping, NPR on the radio (I like this), the neighbor is mowing the lawn and people wave to you from the sidewalk. It was designed to be like that. (This is my rl world now)

Fellucia is a loud muffler speeding through the night with music blaring, on the column 3 speed stick shift, a loose clutch with a straight 8, a twelve pack and a trashy hot chick sitting next to you that you know gives out. You are out for a good time and there are no cops around. It was designed to be a bit more realistic than the world seen through the looking glass (Romper Room reference for those of you that might remember it) (This used to be my rl world)

I truly believe we would see a much different popps, with a much greater appreciation and understanding of the game as a whole.

Or, you can simply accept it that Powerscrolls are best left in Fel and the Pardons are going to be a VERY good thing for both shards. Some folks simply have to do that whole "faith" thing. They are just not into getting out, getting dirty, working to understand, discover and gain wisdom.

Are you the former...or the latter? Which ever one you are..always strive to be both so you can understand both sides.

Widow Maker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, my point was, that debating that Pardons could be a mirroring revenue source like Powerscrolls is really far fetched.

Nowhere will Pardons be in high demand as Powerscrolls ever were and most (if not all) reds will be perfectly capable of getting their own pardons thus further lowering demand.

I do not think for a minute that Pardons will EVER bring to trammel players the same wealth that Powerscrolls brought to Felucca players. Not even a tiny micro fraction of that large influx of wealth which ended up in the hands of a very small minority of players making them uber powerfull in an item based game.
Since the pardons will be bought by all sides of the fence, I believe you will be proven VERY wrong in this. They are going to be a VERY HOT ticket with longevity.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The pardon and PS have a balanced arguement till the PVP cheating comes into play. Reason I've not been back to fel areas for 6+ years. The one thing that had a short mention and not discused is the drop rate of theese pardons. They need to be high/rare and adjusted from there. Lets not have any this easy drop rate like the start of Doom. Was sad to have new addition soiled in a few weeks when every swinging Richard at Brit Bank had 3-5 arty on them.

But as history will show. The best experienced minds in UO that pay to be part of it will not be heard.

I've always liked referring to EA as the money Grubbers. Thanks for the use of the name for one the chest spawn. It fits. As an old D&D player still waiting for the famed Rust Monster, we crafters would enjoy this addition. Thinking about it. A new weapon ability would be Durability Point damage chance instead of Hit Point.

G

Gowron

I am sorry but I have a different opinion as to what "choosing" might be.

I enjoy living life but I need money to live a life, have a family and so forth and so, I have to work. It is NOT a choice, if I could, I'd rather not to, but I MUST because otherwise my life would be far more miserable......

This, to me, is not a choice but a "forced" choice. I have to work even if I could not work and live a miserable life.
Working so you can have money is a forced choice for you? Wow that's sad...
Apparently, he didn't choose to get married and raise a family either. That must have been forced on him to based on his arguments. He must have also been forced to play UO and someone probably has a gun to his head forcing him to post his drivel as well.

Mark_Mythic

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here are a couple of thoughts about Felucca and the relevance of pardons:

From my perspective, Felucca is Advanced UO or playing UO in hard mode. PVP makes it that way. When I put something in Felucca, it's because I want it to be hard to get and thus rare, PVP is kind of a means to an end.

Another way to make things rare is to decrease the repop of the spawn or decrease the chance for the monster to drop the item, but it seems to me there is more "game" in making better odds of getting the item and then letting people duke it out over the items.

Another observation about Fel, Everyone who is a UO player has access to Fel and Reds can't leave Fel, so if I want to put something in the world that **everyone** has access to, I put it in Fel. I had a lot of trouble putting the new chapter of the live event in Ilshenar because my producer was going, "but there are players who can't go to Ilshenar because they are red."

Objviously, that is not the right way to do everything, and it certainly isn't the way we do everything (85% of Stygian Abyss was Trammel ruleset), but it might give you some insight into why we put things in Felucca only. It's not to "force" pvp to happen, that happens naturally because people are ornery. It's more accurate to say we "force" people not to pvp in the Trammel rule set to make the game more accessible to casual and new players.

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When I went to test I recognized like 10 of the locations off hand but when I went to about 4 of them I couldn't find the spot, It was awful because I knew they were there but I couldn't dig them up.

I wish they would have given at least half the coordinates with the map that way I'd have been looking for a random location on a line of points instead of a vast plane.

Oh if there Is some way to get them to show coordinates I'd love to know.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1. We'll have to disagree, I don't consider fel being advanced UO because of the hacking and script kiddies. Until you handle that (which you still haven't done), it will only be hackers paradise.

2. The idea that there is content that X player can't get to is bordering on silly. Because of soulstones, it takes all of 5 minutes to transfer skills from a red to a blue and vice versa. Been there, done that, played the home version.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apparently, he didn't choose to get married and raise a family either. That must have been forced on him to based on his arguments. He must have also been forced to play UO and someone probably has a gun to his head forcing him to post his drivel as well.

Actually, there were cultures on the planet where marrying was not a choice but the spouse was decided by the parents...

And raising a family might neither be a choice, sometimes, there might be people on the planet who never planned or wanted to have children but it happened anyhow and they took up the responsibility to raise that family but still, they did not choose it...

What I am just trying to say, is that the world is much varied out there and there is all sorts of different people with different lives and situations.........

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The pardon and PS have a balanced arguement till the PVP cheating comes into play. Reason I've not been back to fel areas for 6+ years. The one thing that had a short mention and not discused is the drop rate of theese pardons. They need to be high/rare and adjusted from there. Lets not have any this easy drop rate like the start of Doom. Was sad to have new addition soiled in a few weeks when every swinging Richard at Brit Bank had 3-5 arty on them.

But as history will show. The best experienced minds in UO that pay to be part of it will not be heard.

You speak with wisdom Sir, it is a pleasure to see that there is still players with indsight left in Ultima Online, it is for me like a breath of fresh air....

I've always liked referring to EA as the money Grubbers. Thanks for the use of the name for one the chest spawn. It fits. As an old D&D player still waiting for the famed Rust Monster, we crafters would enjoy this addition. Thinking about it. A new weapon ability would be Durability Point damage chance instead of Hit Point.
Tell me......
I have been begging for ages, as a hard core crafter, to have wear and tear bring back some love to crafting.

Though, I am afraid, in the age of Soulstones and 7 characters per shard, I wonder who would still need to ask a crafter for services nowadays even if wear and tear was brought back.......

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From my perspective, Felucca is Advanced UO or playing UO in hard mode. PVP makes it that way. When I put something in Felucca, it's because I want it to be hard to get and thus rare, PVP is kind of a means to an end.
Well, thats like saying that racing in a race where cars crash into eachother is the "hard mode" of racing. Ignoring other forms of racing or driving.

No denying that its another level of gameplay...but saying its "hard mode", makes it sound like its superior to anything else.

Another way to make things rare is to decrease the repop of the spawn or decrease the chance for the monster to drop the item, but it seems to me there is more "game" in making better odds of getting the item and then letting people duke it out over the items.
Thats all well and good for PvP. Though they should be centered around PvP centric items, not more like power scrolls or better drops.

Another observation about Fel, Everyone who is a UO player has access to Fel and Reds can't leave Fel, so if I want to put something in the world that **everyone** has access to, I put it in Fel. I had a lot of trouble putting the new chapter of the live event in Ilshenar because my producer was going, "but there are players who can't go to Ilshenar because they are red."
Players aren't red, characters are red. You can have up to 7 chars per account and I really doubt a person has 7 reds and no extra account. You're not denying anyone as they can log on their non-red easily enough.

Its worse the other way around, since you have a lot of players who have no PvP characters and are as such completely denied PvP content of any kind.

Objviously, that is not the right way to do everything, and it certainly isn't the way we do everything (85% of Stygian Abyss was Trammel ruleset), but it might give you some insight into why we put things in Felucca only. It's not to "force" pvp to happen, that happens naturally because people are ornery. It's more accurate to say we "force" people not to pvp in the Trammel rule set to make the game more accessible to casual and new players.
Its a bit off to say that the only ones Trammel benefit are casual and new players. Its fine that you make PvP centric events or such, just make them center around PvP things, not something those who do not PvP gets cheated out of.

Because they are the true players who gets denied, as a non-PvPer can't just log onto their PvP char and go do it, like a person with a red char can just log in a non-red char.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I beg to dissent here. Most reds (if not all...) also have blues and they can therefore access all areas of the game quite easily. If they need certain skills Soulstones do wonders and they are easily available being them a 1st year Vet Reward, be purchaseable on UOGameCodes and also now are craftable.

It is much easier for reds to go to other facets than for blues to go to Felucca and so, putting items exclusively into Felucca cuts out way, but way more players from them than if those items were made to spawn on a trammel ruleset facet.

Bottom line is, whenever you choose to have an item be Felucca exclusive you deprive many more players of the chance to self acquire it than if you had it spawn on a trammel ruleset. And, consequentially, you make it an assett for the Felucca population who can use it to largely further their wealth and, hence, in an item based game where modifiers sets the winner, increase their power and invulnerability in PvP fighting....

Just a thought for you guys who run the game........

Mark_Mythic

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When I went to test I recognized like 10 of the locations off hand but when I went to about 4 of them I couldn't find the spot, It was awful because I knew they were there but I couldn't dig them up.

I wish they would have given at least half the coordinates with the map that way I'd have been looking for a random location on a line of points instead of a vast plane.

Oh if there Is some way to get them to show coordinates I'd love to know.
The locations are now totally random. Your mining skill determines how close to the location you must be to find the treasure (the better your mining skill the farther away from the exact location you can be and still get the treasure). This was how it worked before, but once people identified the exact location and made runebooks, it killed the relevance of the mining skill in treasure hunting.

G

GreekHero

The locations are now totally random. Your mining skill determines how close to the location you must be to find the treasure (the better your mining skill the farther away from the exact location you can be and still get the treasure). This was how it worked before, but once people identified the exact location and made runebooks, it killed the relevance of the mining skill in treasure hunting.
For the 1000 time I'll need to change my T-hunter's template. Looks like fishing will be moved to another char after all. What has mining anything to do with T-hunting? I understand the anti-recalling rune theory but there is no other way to bring back the sextant or something similar? What about cartography + lockpicking= you can dig in a let's say 5x5 area and still reveal the chest. Anyway, long live those soulstones i guess.... Oh, and if the idea is to completely nerf solo T-hunters (and I am not talking for the tamer templates - no fun at all), I refuse to join a guild for that, will be doing chests with the assistance of wife's account...

Nyses

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, and if the idea is to completely nerf solo T-hunters (and I am not talking for the tamer templates - no fun at all), I refuse to join a guild for that, will be doing chests with the assistance of wife's account...
Dude, go to test and check it out before you assume you will not be able to solo a chest now. I did go there, and guess what, the Chest Spawn is WAY easier than it used to be. I did lvl 6 maps and with ONLY EV's, they killed all the chest spawn. WAY EASIER then the AW's were!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, and if the idea is to completely nerf solo T-hunters (and I am not talking for the tamer templates - no fun at all), I refuse to join a guild for that, will be doing chests with the assistance of wife's account...
Dude, go to test and check it out before you assume you will not be able to solo a chest now. I did go there, and guess what, the Chest Spawn is WAY easier than it used to be. I did lvl 6 maps and with ONLY EV's, they killed all the chest spawn. WAY EASIER then the AW's were!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AW's still spawm on lvl 6. I dug up a chest that spawned 4 AW's and three blood ele's. But I have plenty of room on my template to solo AW's w/120 mystic/Focus 100 cart/lockpick/mining/magery/hiding. Rising Colossus does well enough against them.

What I have been testing lately though is detect hidden/remove trap. I wanted to see if there was any bonus added in to using those skills. So far it seems there is not.