• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The population of UO has changed

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've tried Siege... didn't seem to be a whole lot of RP there.
I think most of the roleplayers have left...then again, it's a pretty empty shard where a group of roleplayers could get trained and set up without too much hassle from other players.

As far as the back watching...that's always been the fun of Siege. You're technically ever safe...but couldn't that play into a roleplayers story?...la

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gilfane is still a relatively active community for RP aren't they? Seems like I always stumble across their advertisements for events.
Because I've never been part of the Siege role play community except for a few months the old ORC clan, I can't say that they roleplay or not. Sure they claim to, but since they are usually hidden, it's hard to know if they roleplay as a group...la

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Gilfane is still a relatively active community for RP aren't they? Seems like I always stumble across their advertisements for events.
They are still an active community and I did join their alliance.. they are nice. However I didn't really see much in the way of role-play. They do have a very awesome town.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Ah ok, good to know. I remember seeing that they had the #1 largest active town left in the game in another thread.

Kael

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Could it use some improvement? Sure. Does it "suck"? No. Maybe you could try it and make that judgment from experience, rather than reading a blog where everyone waffles about everything no matter what.

But ofcourse you're not happy - because players like you are impossible to please. Here is a new game system which makes PvPing more interactive and easily to get involved with (two things you've said in this thread you want), and you somehow find a gripe with it. Better yet, it gives an advantage to thieves - the build you say you come back to play - but you use that as the reason as to why it sucks.

Enlighten us more with the vast amount of knowlegde you've developed in your "few days" back playing again. #DERP

You seem like a angry man...

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
People need to stop living in the past. MMOs in general have evolved, and will continue doing so.

What has held UO back is its inability/unwillingness to evolve with the market, not the opposite.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
People need to stop living in the past. MMOs in general have evolved, and will continue doing so.

What has held UO back is its inability/unwillingness to evolve with the market, not the opposite.
While the lack of change from each of the development groups over the years is certainly an issue, learning from the past is better than forgetting it and make the same mistakes over and over.

That being said, it may just be that there aren't enough old school players who care enough about the game any more to voice their opinions until either told "NO" or the requested changes are made.

In creating this post, I didn't stomp in and start making demands...it merely was a chance for me to expound on the changes that I've since since my leaving the game...la

Glenny glenn

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
While the lack of change from each of the development groups over the years is certainly an issue, learning from the past is better than forgetting it and make the same mistakes over and over.

That being said, it may just be that there aren't enough old school players who care enough about the game any more to voice their opinions until either told "NO" or the requested changes are made.

In creating this post, I didn't stomp in and start making demands...it merely was a chance for me to expound on the changes that I've since since my leaving the game...la

Im not sure if I would be classified old school since I stopped playing for 10 years but the game I think has evolved with the population relatively well. Compared to the old days the population is pretty small and more individualistic. For me its comforting that I can jump in and jump out of content at this point instead of getting tied up in large projects. Its not that im against group activity far from it but I just don't have the time to participate in it like I did even just a few months ago.

So I think they are doing a good job in involving the player base, theres plenty of solo content to do as well as some nice group content that has the chance to be soloed if you know what your doing.

I agree with you that these changes are pretty drastic for a returning player, I was used to how group oriented everything used to be and now we can just go off and solo champ spawns at will. Its good for feedback for people like yourself to comment on how the game feels to a returning player.

Stickypaws

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I do not mind most of the changes to UO. I certainly could not have played the exact same limited game for 17 years. What I do mind is the lack of genuine effort to attract new players after 2004. What's the point in playing an MMO on your own?

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I learned a while ago when I tried playing on Siege, that although it looks completely dead all the time, It's not, they're all just stealthing. If you ask around in general chat there's pretty much always at least 5 people on, they just don't show themselves very often outside of chat.
You are correct that most Siege players stealth around hidden.
And that is why I would never pvp on Siege even though they seem to have a nice little community.
It is not old school and everyone uses hiding/stealth to minimize taking risks. Seems to be the opposite of perilous imo.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You are correct that most Siege players stealth around hidden.
And that is why I would never pvp on Siege even though they seem to have a nice little community.
It is not old school and everyone uses hiding/stealth to minimize taking risks. Seems to be the opposite of perilous imo.
I would agree that it's not too perilous these days. Unfortunately the shard got a bad wrap and it stuck. So what's the easiest way to stay out of harms way on the shard you play? Stay hidden.

Due to this, I have some interesting plans in the works. I am leaning toward coming back for a few months, but I do think I am going to retire my old accounts and start up a new account, without a Mythic stone and see how things play out...la

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All giving new Siege players an "easy" button to use. There used to be pride in the tough ruleset on Siege. Players that stuck it out to get to 5x-7x GM levels had something to hang their hat on.

While they trained, they played in groups to counter their lower skill point levels, they built friendships and learned who they could and couldn't trust.

That's gone, and unfortunately, it seems as though the players that stuck around after I left, gave into what they thought would help fix Siege. None of it did, but now the shard no longer requires a player to actually work through the difficulties...la

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Siege is not the only shard loosing players, it's very bad on a lot shards

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Siege is not the only shard loosing players, it's very bad on a lot shards
I'm sure that's the case, but at one time, Siege used to be the shard people would try out before they left the game for good. Making Siege easier isn't going to provide the rush that some players want and thus they'll skip Siege altogether and just leave UO...la

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
If we get more players we will again see more thieves and reds, that should be what make Siege hard

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If we get more players we will again see more thieves and reds, that should be what make Siege hard
I don't know if this is played across the Atlantic, but some American schools have a "deer and wolves" game to simulate predators and prey. UO does not have an automatically growing population of either, and that makes it worse. If you get too many wolves on Siege, all the deer will go away.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I don't know if this is played across the Atlantic, but some American schools have a "deer and wolves" game to simulate predators and prey. UO does not have an automatically growing population of either, and that makes it worse. If you get too many wolves on Siege, all the deer will go away.
We had tried to have half of the shard red, that made the blue anti guilds grow. We need both the sheep's and the wolves. Right now, we have to few sheep's to keep our wolves.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We had tried to have half of the shard red, that made the blue anti guilds grow. We need both the sheep's and the wolves. Right now, we have to few sheep's to keep our wolves.
Do you realize that nothing is bringing in new "sheep," because nobody wants to be one amidst so many wolves, and all you wolves will die out?

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Do you realize that nothing is bringing in new "sheep," because nobody wants to be one amidst so many wolves, and all you wolves will die out?
You could not be more wrong, we love our wolves, it's not wolves who make our sheep stop playing. People who play on Siege accept the risk, a little adrenalin kick can be nice, when you get attacked and maybe make it to town or for some, success hide and stealth away.
Do you really believe it is only PK's, who miss old days before Trammel?

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You could not be more wrong, we love our wolves, it's not wolves who make our sheep stop playing. People who play on Siege accept the risk, a little adrenalin kick can be nice, when you get attacked and maybe make it to town or for some, success hide and stealth away.
I could not be more right. Most people who play UO do not want to be sheep. They don't want "adrenaline." They don't want the "risk" of being attacked. They don't want to have to "hide and stealth away."

It's easy for wolves to congratulate each other, but what will you do when your last sheep leaves?

Do you really believe it is only PK's, who miss old days before Trammel?
Why, everybody loved getting mowed down in a dungeon by reds twice their number! (That's sarcasm there.)

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You do realize without the wolves the sheep have no one to sell their wares to..
Actually...no. Sheep are perfectly capable of selling to each other.

In a society where Peter chops wood, Paul farms and Mary fishes, they don't need a Dread Pirate Roberts to sell to, considering he tends to hurt and rob one of them from time to time.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

In a society where Peter chops wood, Paul farms and Mary fishes, they don't need a Dread Pirate Roberts to sell to, considering he tends to hurt and rob one of them from time to time.
Keep telling yourself that..people don't consistently farm Medusa so they can sell slithers to the local fisherman for 10 gold. Blacksmiths don't forge away at the anvil to get runic hammers for the newest reforged luck pieces to sell to the hefty paladin so he can go farm 10% SSI Jewls for the nearest lumberjack. Once the "need" for PvP armor isn't needed, you will find the demand for PvM and PvP armor in its likeness diminish in value and make the grind vs effort vs profit steer people away! But in the end at least Mary will still be able to make her splendid fish pies for the Roleplayers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron

Years ago, I had a shop runned of Tina Tink. Tina was a miner, smith, tinker, carpentry, fletcher and lumberjack with magery to get around. Side by her shop was a small tower, that was guild house for a small red guild. Tina made her first mill from selling weapon and armor to them. They did never attack her and did let her customers shop in peace. Now many of our reds was somewhat roleplaying, also this guild. If they saw Freja, who was red and open for PvP, they would attack her, but never Tina.
Reds can add a lot fun and spice to the game. Yes there may be a few nasty red kids but most of them learn, after getting res killed and dry looted several times. Some of this red kids do not last long on Siege, getting kicked from the crafters shops and loosing their gear to the PvP'ers including other reds who also will target trouble makers first.
It seem like you live inside your own little bubble inside town zone, maybe it's time to get rid of your old fear and start play the game outside town.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Unfortunately for your argument, that isn't the case. While it would be in a perfect world...it just doesn't happen on Siege...la
Unfortunately for your inability to understand basic economics, what I spoke of applies to ANY world of finite resources, whether the real one or UO. There are basic economic principles that are inescapable, and they're in fact most relevant on Siege where players can't earn easy gold by selling to NPCs. In fact, my particular branch of economics criticizes the assumptions of neo-classicists and others, stressing that human behavior results from dealing with an imperfect world of imperfect information. In a "perfect world," what I'm talking about wouldn't even apply.

Peter chops wood, Paul farms and Mary fishes. None knows exactly what the other wants, but they figure it out eventually. They're perfectly capable of trading with each other without the introduction of someone who will take their resources while producing no wealth of his own. Sheep do not need wolves, but wolves need sheep.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Keep telling yourself that..people don't consistently farm Medusa so they can sell slithers to the local fisherman for 10 gold. Blacksmiths don't forge away at the anvil to get runic hammers for the newest reforged luck pieces to sell to the hefty paladin so he can go farm 10% SSI Jewls for the nearest lumberjack.
You're making one straw man after another, then begging the question by presuming a need for "PvP" armor. Actually, if you would understand the path of trading and how materials and finished goods go around, people do trade so that a BOD filler gets a runic hammer for someone to reforge armor that someone's tamer needs so he can get that elusive clean jewelry for another character. It's no different than a farmer growing produce for a corporate executive to eat while he manages a group of people whose children need school supplies.

Once the "need" for PvP armor isn't needed, you will find the demand for PvM and PvP armor in its likeness diminish in value and make the grind vs effort vs profit steer people away!
Econ 101: as demand goes down, ceteris paribus, prices go down. Even if supply diminished, what would actually happen is that once very good armor becomes common, that would encourage new players to stay because very good gear would be cheap, if not given away. It's a piece of cake for me to make a basic all-70s suit with a bit of mana regen and stats for someone who claims to be a newbie. It's no loss to me if the person isn't what he claims, and besides, only a newbie would ask for a suit which was once pretty darn good (and is still quite usable besides).

When imbuing was introduced, some thought that was the end, that the market would get saturated too quickly. They were quite wrong, and I knew they would be. There is always something better to make, which would have been the case even without reforging, and now monster loot is greatly improved. Where in this are wolves necessary?

But in the end at least Mary will still be able to make her splendid fish pies for the Roleplayers!
Nonsense. You're again making a straw man. Why do you think there's trading of armor, weapons and resources on standard shards? It's because people still have needs that others will satisfy.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Years ago, I had a shop runned of Tina Tink. Tina was a miner, smith, tinker, carpentry, fletcher and lumberjack with magery to get around. Side by her shop was a small tower, that was guild house for a small red guild. Tina made her first mill from selling weapon and armor to them. They did never attack her and did let her customers shop in peace. Now many of our reds was somewhat roleplaying, also this guild. If they saw Freja, who was red and open for PvP, they would attack her, but never Tina.
And do you realize that you could have gotten just as wealthy by selling to those who the reds killed and looted? Once again: sheep are perfectly capable of trading among themselves, with no need to buy from the wolf that can only take from sheep anyway.

Reds can add a lot fun and spice to the game. Yes there may be a few nasty red kids but most of them learn, after getting res killed and dry looted several times. Some of this red kids do not last long on Siege, getting kicked from the crafters shops and loosing their gear to the PvP'ers including other reds who also will target trouble makers first.
Why do you not understand that people do not want "spice"? If players liked the chance of being attacked, so many would not have left in 1998 and 1999, and we wouldn't have Trammel. If players liked the chance of being attacked, Siege would have a lot more people playing.

Peter chops wood, Paul farms and Mary fishes. Or, Peter smiths/reforges, Paul hunts monsters, and Mary harvests resources. They all produce wealth in their own way.

A Dread Pirate Roberts may seem "wealthy," but because he can only take wealth and produce none of his own, then Peter, Paul and Mary are better off ignoring him and trading among themselves.

It seem like you live inside your own little bubble inside town zone, maybe it's time to get rid of your old fear and start play the game outside town.
Your claim there is nonsense, and you've talked to me enough to know better. So stop it.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
And do you realize that you could have gotten just as wealthy by selling to those who the reds killed and looted?
Oh I did that too, a red once stopped, looked at Tina Tink and told her. I got you a lot of customers, I had killed a lot and looted armor and weapon with your name on *Evil Grin*

Why do you not understand that people do not want "spice"?
No it's not true, a lot sheeps love Siege and play there and they do not hide in town like you.

If players liked the chance of being attacked, so many would not have left in 1998 and 1999, and we wouldn't have Trammel. If players liked the chance of being attacked, Siege would have a lot more people playing.
You can't prove that. And it's the wolves we are missing at the moment.

Peter chops wood, Paul farms and Mary fishes. Or, Peter smiths/reforges, Paul hunts monsters, and Mary harvests resources. They all produce wealth in their own way.
But they get bored and quit :p

A Dread Pirate Roberts may seem "wealthy," but because he can only take wealth and produce none of his own, then Peter, Paul and Mary are better off ignoring him and trading among themselves.
Nope for they are greedy and a customer is a customer no matter of color

Ok I'm done as you are stubborn as an old donkey

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oh I did that too, a red once stopped, looked at Tina Tink and told her. I got you a lot of customers, I had killed a lot and looted armor and weapon with your name on *Evil Grin*
And something like that would not work on regular shards, because most players have never wanted to play for an hour, only to get overrun by reds and lose everything. I've been on the receiving end, and the chasing end when a bunch of us would get together to drive out the reds. For those like me who PvP, a fight could be fun, but most people don't want to bother with that.

No it's not true, a lot sheeps love Siege and play there and they do not hide in town like you.
You're trolling. You know that's not true about me, which means you're intentionally misrepresenting me.

You can't prove that. And it's the wolves we are missing at the moment.
Really, Siege is missing wolves? From what I've seen every time I checked it out, there were far too many wolves for the sheep — a big reason why I never bothered to accept your offers.

But they get bored and quit :p
Not at all. There's always something new to do in UO. Look at the new life breathed into Doom, and anywhere else now that loot has changed.

In real life, do people get "bored" because they don't have the excitement of walking through East New York in the middle of the night? If they don't like that in real life, why do they want to play a game for fun, only to have the fun negated in 20 seconds?

Once EQ came out, so many started leaving UO specifically for PvP zones. The UO Devs denied it, but players did want to play without worrying about "non-consensual PvP." Without Trammel, UO wouldn' have lasted beyond a couple of years more.

Nope for they are greedy and a customer is a customer no matter of color
You're missing the point. They might as well trade with each other, instead of the extra step of dealing with a wolf who took what a sheep had.

Ok I'm done as you are stubborn as an old donkey
I have attempted to be respectful because we had good dialogue in the past, but now you're resorting to insults.

Last edited:

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Neither have you, Mr. restarting-his-account.

Now if there are such few wolves on Siege, why aren't PK-hearted PvPers (because PKing !=PvP) flocking there?
Well, I have spent time there in the last few weeks and if you had spent that much time, you'd agree with me.

Why aren't players flocking to any shard?...la

Anasmin

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Perhaps because Ultima Online is, supposedly, a "multiplayer" game ?

Having an X number of players all playing and hunting and crafting on their own, without any need to have to rely on others, equals pretty much a "solo" game, rather then a multiplayer one.....

Clearly, we cannot have both, either we have a game where all players are self sufficient and have no need to rely on other fellow players, or we have an UO that is changed into a game where, at least on a given shard, players can no longer be self sufficient but have to rely also on others for their needs....

Which Ultima Online do we want ?

A multiuplayer game where players have to interact with each other or a solo game where we have all players hunting, crafting and doing all game tasks on their own, without ever needing to ask anyone for anything ?

First we need to answer this, once and for all, and then the game could be changed accordingly, if needed.
People wont agree on this point - there will be a wide variation in opinion, as there is in any population.

Lore Denin (GL)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Zog is upset VvV can effect his bribing of NPC's in Fel cities and has posted a bazilion times about the "unfairness of it all".

He is the furthest thing from a Siege player there is in the game. That is fine and well but why he feels the need to argue (enlighten) Siege people about Siege, when he is the Iconic Tramalite, is beyond me.

Wolves are needed in the real world and that is reflected in UO and its gameplay. Take 4 mins and 30 seconds out of your day and watch this - its amazing and I've seen it first hand. I never would have believed it but wolves don't simple eat sheep, they change rivers......

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Zog spoke the word and it is now law.
I'll ask again: are you going to keep trolling, or are you going to add something constructive to this conversation?

I don't play the game to the style that you like and my thoughts don't count as a result.
Of course, I never so much as implied any such thing, and you know that. Either find a quote, or stop misrepresenting my posts, troll.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, I have spent time there in the last few weeks and if you had spent that much time, you'd agree with me.
I've popped in from time to time when bored. It's been a few months since Freja's last invitation, and there just wasn't anything there for me.

Why aren't players flocking to any shard?...la
That's just the point. There are still PvPers and those with PK mindsets, and they would be going to Siege if there were so many sheep to prey on.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Zog is upset VvV can effect his bribing of NPC's in Fel cities and has posted a bazilion times about the "unfairness of it all".
Oh, so you feel above being told not to resurrect that thread?

If you need me to post again, you have posted nothing constructive about that subject, while I posted numerous minor fixes that could have kept everybody happy.

He is the furthest thing from a Siege player there is in the game.
And I'm the furthest thing from a communist in real life, which does not stop me from, you know, explaining why it doesn't work. One doesn't have to "believe" in a system to know about it.

That is fine and well but why he feels the need to argue (enlighten) Siege people about Siege, when he is the Iconic Tramalite, is beyond me.
"Tramalite" [sic]? You have no idea who I am, so you can just shut up now.

Wolves are needed in the real world
Bullcrap. You think criminals are necessary?

and that is reflected in UO and its gameplay. Take 4 mins and 30 seconds out of your day and watch this - its amazing and I've seen it first hand. I never would have believed it but wolves don't simple eat sheep, they change rivers......
False comparison. You really want to compare a state of nature, with its unthinking predators that still die out on their own, to humans with the capability of thought processes? If that's all you think people are, it explains a lot.

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've tried Siege... didn't seem to be a whole lot of RP there. Did seem to be nice folk about... but had the usual # of complete jerks as well. Most times I never saw a soul on Siege... sometimes that's good... othertimes not so much. And I get tired of the constant back watching.
The nice thing about Siege is that if somebody is a jerk you can kill them. And if you can't, somebody else can kill them for you. There is no where for them to hide (Trammel).

On top of that, reputation is the law on siege. Once you've soiled your reputation, you're pretty much on your own.

So while you may run into jerks on siege. The bright side is that they usually don't stick around very long.

Besides, there's a bit more humility when one can't back their smart mouth with a fully decked insured suit of awesomeness and a blue moongate at their back.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The main population change has been people leaving. Lots of people leaving. Some will say that our sub numbers are okay, but honestly, we have people carrying up to 50 subs each. Some 20, most everybody at least 2-5. So in spite of saying sub numbers are okay, there still isn't anyone playing. RTB was a disaster, the few I thought might come back had been out of game a while, and couldnt get their acct info back from CS. They didnt remember a password, and couldnt get much help. The associated emails were old and nonexistent anymore, Questions such as which credit card number did you use to pay it is crazy, who remembers that from years ago? MY favorite was where they asked one of em for the code number off the original cd...seriously? I'm still here, but I didnt keep the cd all these years. So if someone quit, said they were thru, why would they keep it?

True, in the end, it remains their responsibility to keep up with these things, but there has to be a better way. It's a done deal now, for one of em. Said after all was said and done, he wouldnt come back if they gave him a developed acct to play, that he could tell nothing had changed. True, with a little work, they might have ended up back ingame, but if you absolutely have to fight to get into a game...

I digress, the main pop change I see is the absence of population.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

the majority of combat items worth selling are not bought by players who use UO as a social chat or deco game. yes theres a good amount of deco / novelty drops, stuff every pvmer needs like crimsons and tangles, but a huge portion of why people pvm, and the reason the devs did the loot revamp is providing pvpers with gear.

if you dont believe me, see how 3 casting focus on a piece of armor makes it 5 times as expensive as a piece without.

so for a good amount of loot the market is only the for the ones who want to have the best pvp gear.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
the majority of combat items worth selling are not bought by players who use UO as a social chat or deco game.
I nor anyone else ever claimed otherwise, but you're assuming a need for the end product. In a world where there cannot be war, there would not be a need for production of fighter jets rather than airliners.

yes theres a good amount of deco / novelty drops, stuff every pvmer needs like crimsons and tangles, but a huge portion of why people pvm, and the reason the devs did the loot revamp is providing pvpers with gear.

if you dont believe me, see how 3 casting focus on a piece of armor makes it 5 times as expensive as a piece without.

so for a good amount of loot the market is only the for the ones who want to have the best pvp gear.
Again, you're assuming the need for the end product. Players otherwise would turn to luck as a highly prized mod.

So getting back to the original point, there's simply no need for "wolves" to drive or otherwise increase an economy, whether in UO or the real world.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so your saying zog that "sheep" would buy perfect pvp pieces? pvp drives the crafting and loot markets. that 10 percent of the UO population pays probably 90 percent of the total gold paid for armor in the trade forums.

if you dont think that encourages people to loot monsters and craft then i dunno what game your playing.

look at the trade forum. with the loot changes, most the stuff goes unsold. stuff thats awesome for pvm. to drive an economy you need things to sell. the "sheep" stuff just isnt moving. maybe 1 out of 20 posted pieces is a desirable pvp piece and thats whats actually selling.

you do bods, its well known that pvpers buy the majority of the barbed / horned kits. i dont know of a single person whos spent over a billion gold using it to purely pvm. on average its taken me about 250 mil in barbed kits to get each perfect pvp piece lately. take those billions out of the equation the demand for kits for plummet.

Last edited:

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I nor anyone else ever claimed otherwise, but you're assuming a need for the end product. In a world where there cannot be war, there would not be a need for production of fighter jets rather than airliners.

Again, you're assuming the need for the end product. Players otherwise would turn to luck as a highly prized mod.

So getting back to the original point, there's simply no need for "wolves" to drive or otherwise increase an economy, whether in UO or the real world.
they wouldnt turn to luck, because no one would be buying the stuff that you use luck for.

Gold drives the UO economy. theres lots of gold in game. 20mil here and there on a decent pvm piece isnt going to move enough gold to support an economy.

if your saying people will hunt / kill monsters purely for the extremely rare chance at deco / artie drop then your right. but a very large portion of players abandoned pvm anywhere else but shame because the loot just wasnt worth it. and the majority of that loot value is from pvpers.