• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The population of UO has changed

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know I may buy the last bil left in game so I could have a sweet PVM weapon for my roleplayers..I'll be role playing the era when UO had more players

The reason prices skyrocketed is for many reasons

Duped gold - more accessible

Flooding of the market with items has dropped, mostly because there's less people farming

Some items are flavor of the week, the reason one day a kasa is worth 100k to the next where it's 8mil..it fluctuated based on PvP suits and some PvM suits but very few.

Imbued items used to be worth a ton and when the market "did" become flooded the had to add REFORGING because it became stale..

When fel is completely empty, tram will in fact be short to follow...

How many PvMers will farm for themselves. Not long 1-2 years tops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duskofdead

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Only Siege and Mugen still offer the "old" Ultima Online feeling of partnership thanking to the 1 character only limitation.

Even though several players on those shards have more than 1 account to increase their self sufficiency, it still is necessary on those shards to rely on others for needs be them crafting, hunting, treasure hunting and so forth.
Since coming back a few weeks ago, I can actually count on one hand the number of players I've run into who aren't operating 3-10 accounts. It's still a little mind-boggling to me how many people are willing to do that. Though I suppose at this point it's more just a case of out of the people who are still playing the game, it's dwindled down to the minority of really really gung-ho people who want to have a lot of keeps and want to be able to fill them with lots of rares and EM Event drops, and they keep many accounts to expand their ability to do so.

To the OP... since I see multi-accounting is so common, and there'd be no way to fix that, I think the single biggest thing you could do to create more in-shard player interdependency would be to get rid of, or vastly restrict, transfer shields. Those did not exist when I stopped playing UO and now that I'm back the entire character of the economy has changed, and not for the better. Tons of vendorhouses are empty or unstocked, and when you ask for just about anything people tell you to just go get it on Atlantic, even though not all accounts are capable of doing so. I actually think even with Age of Shadows thrown into the mix, transfer shields are the single worst change ever made to the game. We used to actually have local economies for local goods and local demand before.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's just the point. .
p.s. i will not be responding to any of your speculative arguments based on selective logic. dont have the patience for one of those blarg sessions. i have a good idea of the current UO economy and use it daily, and have contributed billions of gold to it. i know what drives it and any nit-picking away at what i see on a daily basis wont change reality.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
so your saying zog that "sheep" would buy perfect pvp pieces? pvp drives the crafting and loot markets. that 10 percent of the UO population pays probably 90 percent of the total gold paid for armor in the trade forums.

if you dont think that encourages people to loot monsters and craft then i dunno what game your playing.
The big problem is that you're confusing two things. I'm talking about wolves, which means predators. You're talking about PvPers, who are not the same thing. There can be "sheep" who wish to fight each other by consent, thus producing more goods and services that others want in order to further their own consumption. They would be in stark contrast to a wolf that does not produce, but can only consume what is taken from others.

But even without wolves, in a world without PvP let alone PKing, sheep would necessarily find something to sell. If certain properties good for PvP were not so highly prized, people would necessarily turn to something else. What do people do in Farmville and other similar games? Well, they're no different than people who play UO purely to hunt monsters, roleplay, decorate houses, and/or be cookie-baking merchants.

look at the trade forum. with the loot changes, most the stuff goes unsold. stuff thats awesome for pvm. to drive an economy you need things to sell. the "sheep" stuff just isnt moving. maybe 1 out of 20 posted pieces is a desirable pvp piece and thats whats actually selling.
As I said, sheep would find their own things to sell, if not for consensual PvP but for anything else. Say's law: supply creates its own demand. It's been around for a couple of centuries, so you may want to look it up.

You're also misled by an item's high price due to an arms race. Would you like to tell me that an F-35 is equivalent to a few hundred million pounds of apples, or to feeding about 41,000 people for a year at a very generous $20 per day?

So you keep talking about this and that being necessary, but it is hardly necessary to "drive an economy."

you do bods, its well known that pvpers buy the majority of the barbed / horned kits. i dont know of a single person whos spent over a billion gold using it to purely pvm. on average its taken me about 250 mil in barbed kits to get each perfect pvp piece lately. take those billions out of the equation the demand for kits for plummet.
Again, people's preference would shift from something like casting focus to luck, with other things like resists, mana/hp regen and hit/defense chance still being desirable. Yet this is talking about a PvP-free world, when, again, I'm not talking about a lack of PvP but a lack of wolves. You're incorrectly assuming that because I point out people don't like getting attacked non-consensually, therefore I oppose all PvP.

And let's not forget that a lot of the gold duping is done by those with PvP in mind, just like the old pre-Trammel exploits (like Uzi bows and mana vampire) were the exclusive realm of PKs.

they wouldnt turn to luck, because no one would be buying the stuff that you use luck for.
Oh yes, they would. They'd necessarily

Gold drives the UO economy. theres lots of gold in game. 20mil here and there on a decent pvm piece isnt going to move enough gold to support an economy.
Actually, no. Money is never what drives an economy, in UO or the real world. Who in UO collects gold piles or checks just to have them? Hardly any. Do people in the real world save because they like seeing numbers on an account statement? Hardly any. But what drives all but a very few people is what they can do with the money. Once upon a time, a senior manager and I had to decide a new policy about employees holding company stock in a certain type of account that would soon have trading restrictions. The decision was to have them move it to a flexible account. Even if the people weren't looking to sell shares in the near future, or 20 years, they'd still want to sell the stock eventually. The same applies to money. Very few stick money in the bank, buys stock or even sticks it under a mattress just for the sake of having the money.

You're also falling for the fallacy that velocity of money is important to economic growth, which it is not. What matters is production. There's no velocity of money unless someone is selling goods and services in the first place. What you're seeing is the effect, not the prime action.

if your saying people will hunt / kill monsters purely for the extremely rare chance at deco / artie drop then your right. but a very large portion of players abandoned pvm anywhere else but shame because the loot just wasnt worth it. and the majority of that loot value is from pvpers.
Look at the new items from Doom and Halloween. Aren't those "driving" the economy? But consider that the money has to come from somewhere first, and other than duping, it's going to come from monster hunters. When my friends and I do another Harrower and I have another +25 to sell, where are the millions going to come from? Someone had to hunt a bunch of monsters first, or dupe gold.

But again, you're taking my position that "wolves aren't necessary" to say that I oppose all PvP, which is completely untrue. To get back to the original point, Freja's point that "We need (more) wolves"

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
p.s. i will not be responding to any of your speculative arguments based on selective logic. dont have the patience for one of those blarg sessions. i have a good idea of the current UO economy and use it daily, and have contributed billions of gold to it. i know what drives it and any nit-picking away at what i see on a daily basis wont change reality.
Oh good lord, you were starting to keep things on a constructive level, and then you had to make this reply. If you don't want to have serious discussion, then stop replying. You may think you have "a good idea of the current UO economy," but you're in fact clinging to certain fallacies long since debunked.

You could have also done better to quote me completely:

"That's just the point. There are still PvPers and those with PK mindsets, and they would be going to Siege if there were so many sheep to prey on."

And what I wrote stands. Why aren't wolves flocking to Siege for the easy prey?

Taylor31

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
On a nightly basis, we have 10+ people on in the RRG$ teamspeak room, either hunting, crafting, shooting the breeze, or all of the above. Saying people don't interact anymore is just hogwash. Maybe they don't interact "in-game" the way they used to, in part because of the better availability of 3rd party chat applications where people can now "stay in their own corners and only interact with their friends", but that's how people want to play the game. Maybe Rico could play more than just a few days before casting your net across the entire game.

By the looks of it, this already appears to have the stench of a "let's make suggestions about how we can turn the game back 10 years" conversation and complain about what UO has become. This game simply won't ever be able to make everyone happy.
Merlin, I was in that guild, but I forgot the teamspeak info. Just strated playing again on Atlantic after a few months break!

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Merlin, I was in that guild, but I forgot the teamspeak info. Just strated playing again on Atlantic after a few months break!
Taylor - ICQ me. Sent you a PM.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We had tried to have half of the shard red, that made the blue anti guilds grow. We need both the sheep's and the wolves. Right now, we have to few sheep's to keep our wolves.
I don't think that's right at all. It's all not too few "sheep" its too few "wolves". Like 90% of the shard is non pvpers or irregular pvpers. How many active reds are there, 5? 10?

In my opinion its mostly due to UO's itemization working very poorly without insurance. Making suits is a pain. It requires a lot of time if you want o gather the imbuing stuff yourself, or a lot of money if you want to have someone make it for you, not to mention the fact that you will have to track a crafter down and tell them what you need because suits are so specific now its pointless to even attempt selling general ones on a vendor.

If you have a bad pvp day and lose like 4 suits... well it could be days again before you can get back on the field properly. It used to be that a pvper could make suits out of looted gear, but that's not really the case anymore unless you kill another pvper with a similar build (rare) because pvm suits are simply sub par in pvp most of the time. Also you probably can't sell suits back, becaus pvmers can much more easily absorb the loss of a suit, and many don't want to give the pk anything as they are annoyed at having been killed.

No matter what if you want to pvp you will constantly have to be buying/farming or both just to have a competitive suit. So after weeks/months of pvming that you don't want to do, what is keeping a pvper (especially one whos more interested in action than loot) from going to a prodo shard where they can pvp all day long once they have a suit built? I suspect very little.

Humorously enough when they made relics common I think it made it HARDER to gear up, because the level of gear got so specialized, that basically everyone must now make their own stuff.

Sadly this problem can't be fixed on siege without its own dedicated dev's, and actually different rules, which it will never ever get.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Keep telling yourself that..people don't consistently farm Medusa so they can sell slithers to the local fisherman for 10 gold. Blacksmiths don't forge away at the anvil to get runic hammers for the newest reforged luck pieces to sell to the hefty paladin so he can go farm 10% SSI Jewls for the nearest lumberjack. Once the "need" for PvP armor isn't needed, you will find the demand for PvM and PvP armor in its likeness diminish in value and make the grind vs effort vs profit steer people away! But in the end at least Mary will still be able to make her splendid fish pies for the Roleplayers!
I think the flaw in your logic is that the market is only either pvpers or penniless resource gathering noobs. Making a (needlessly) perfect suit basically IS the pvm meta game, and pvmers certainly sell high end gear to each other. I would imagine that's where most of sold items go honestly, as they probably outnumber pvpers 10 to 1.

Pvpers probably do grab a lot of the elite pieces, but pvmers are also buying a lot of high end stuff.

Last edited:

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I don't think that's right at all. It's all not too few "sheep" its too few "wolves". Like 90% of the shard is non pvpers or irregular pvpers. How many active reds are there, 5? 10?
If the wolves can't find the sheep, they will leave the shard. There is many reasons, stealth, to much land, to little reason to traveling, lumbering, doing mining or killing the spawn.
I do believe it start to help a little but if there was more need colored wood and ingots it could help.

In my opinion its mostly due to UO's itemization working very poorly without insurance. Making suits is a pain. It requires a lot of time if you want o gather the imbuing stuff yourself, or a lot of money if you want to have someone make it for you, not to mention the fact that you will have to track a crafter down and tell them what you need because suits are so specific now its pointless to even attempt selling general ones on a vendor.
An easy fix could help that, get rid of that resist madness that make it a pain to put together suits. Let armor pieces made of a legend smith/tailor with arms lore have min 12 resist in each kind of resist.
legend crafter= +2
exp = min 8
non exp = min 5
Gm arms lore +2
min 50 arms lore +1

With this, we would not have to care for the resist, that make it easier to put suit together. Crafters could just sell the pieces and you could make suit that looks like you want for your RP. The resist had been a pain since we got them
Make something like it for magic loot too, so a mod can be min x resist in all resist, maybe a mod you can imbue too

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If the wolves can't find the sheep, they will leave the shard. There is many reasons, stealth, to much land, to little reason to traveling, lumbering, doing mining or killing the spawn.
I do believe it start to help a little but if there was more need colored wood and ingots it could help.
I have heard pvpers say the problem they have with siege is items (annoyance of suiting up), not targets. Not all pvpers are pks, and certainly few are JUST pks. It's true that with less people there are less targets, but we would still have these kind of problems. We lost a TON of our pvp crowd when factions arties were taken away... because they didn't want to hunt monsters. I don't like faction arties, but I am for pvping to earn gear. Just not "Special" gear.
Anyway the ratio of blues to reds right now HAS to be at an all time high. I see blues everywhere and I've seen like 3 reds in the month+ I've been back regular. Maybe its just my time/luck but it seems especially red free.

And as nice as it would be to get double resources it wouldn't effect anything, just like the loot change didn't effect anything. A few more wood a chop isn't going to bring people to the shard. The days of a busy overland are simply over. The population game wide is just too low.

An easy fix could help that, get rid of that resist madness that make it a pain to put together suits. Let armor pieces made of a legend smith/tailor with arms lore have min 12 resist in each kind of resist.
legend crafter= +2
exp = min 8
non exp = min 5
Gm arms lore +2
min 50 arms lore +1

With this, we would not have to care for the resist, that make it easier to put suit together. Crafters could just sell the pieces and you could make suit that looks like you want for your RP. The resist had been a pain since we got them
Make something like it for magic loot too, so a mod can be min x resist in all resist, maybe a mod you can imbue too
That's not an easy fix at all. That's a significant crafting system overhaul. There is 0% chance that much dev time would be put into changes JUST for siege. In fact there is probably 0% chance ANY dev time is dedicated to siege only issue. It takes like half a year to put any kind of new system into the game on the shards that people actually play on, so... it just wont happen.

Resists really aren't even the issue with suits anyway. Every suit has all 70's resists, and you can easily get there without any special ingredients, and even if it did require them, they are very easy to get. If resists were all that mattered it would be super easy to suit up, but in actuality 70 resists isn't a goal to reach, it's merely a starting point.

Last edited:

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Resists really aren't even the issue with suits anyway. Every suit has all 70's resists, and you can easily get there without any special ingredients, and even if it did require them, they are very easy to get. If resists were all that mattered it would be super easy to suit up, but in actuality 70 resists isn't a goal to reach, it's merely a starting point.
As a crafter, I can tell, resist are a pain. It take very little time to craft the suit and put mage or warrior mods on but getting it all 70, so you have room for 4 mods more on each is a pain and time eating.
You would see a lot more suits on vendors, if we did not have to add resist. Then put mods on the colored resources just like with wood.
Second, vendor fee are far to high, I believe that are a problem on all shards.
I did not mean this changes should be only for Siege. I don't see why all crafters have to be imbuers to sell suits. I would like to go back to where a PvP or PvM'er had room for 1-2 crafting or gathering skills, just like the Shadow Clan Orc, many of them had mining or smithing.
Houses are nice but my crafter should not use hours standing in the house to get a few suits on the vendor. In old days, Tina Tink would use time doing mining too and then stock vendors with GM made metal suits and weapon. She would only need mining, smithing and tinkering. Freja had lumbering, tailoring and fletching together with archery. Then we got the add ons, that needed carpentry together with the other crafting skills and that was the start of weak multi crafters.
Players with only one char, would have something to sell and buy, what they could not make.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As a crafter, I can tell, resist are a pain. It take very little time to craft the suit and put mage or warrior mods on but getting it all 70, so you have room for 4 mods more on each is a pain and time eating.
You would see a lot more suits on vendors, if we did not have to add resist. Then put mods on the colored resources just like with wood.
Second, vendor fee are far to high, I believe that are a problem on all shards.
I did not mean this changes should be only for Siege. I don't see why all crafters have to be imbuers to sell suits. I would like to go back to where a PvP or PvM'er had room for 1-2 crafting or gathering skills, just like the Shadow Clan Orc, many of them had mining or smithing.
Houses are nice but my crafter should not use hours standing in the house to get a few suits on the vendor. In old days, Tina Tink would use time doing mining too and then stock vendors with GM made metal suits and weapon. She would only need mining, smithing and tinkering. Freja had lumbering, tailoring and fletching together with archery. Then we got the add ons, that needed carpentry together with the other crafting skills and that was the start of weak multi crafters.
Players with only one char, would have something to sell and buy, what they could not make.
I am also a crafter and always found resists by far the easiest thing to deal with as the resources are cheap and easy to attain, and there is no question if the suit needs them or not. The other stats are different. There aren't always "warrior" or "mage" mods you know people will want for their specific template. A template may desire some really specific mods. A person may have one artifact piece they are building around, and it's impossible to know. Id love if it resists were simplified, but, they wont be.

Vendor fees ARE too high. The population is simply too low to support the "hard rules" cost. It should be at very least reduced to prodo shard levels.

As for crafters having to be imbuers, thats because thats the design path the game took, and it works fine on regular shards because they don't have to replace gear unless they want to, so there is no incentive to go to all the trouble of changing or replacing the method of crafting magic items. I hear a crafting update is in the works or plans, but looking at refinements as a design (and I use that term loosely) example, I absolutely dread the possible outcome.

A simple itemization system wouldn't work on a prodshard. It would be too easy to max your suit, and then your incentive to pvm dissapears. There's a reason its complicated and why great items are so rare, and why every non live event or content addition requires hours and hours and hours investment to get anything, it's to keep people occupied. To have a simple itemization work you have to have item loss, or some other tangible reason to hunt. The former won't happen because people don't like to lose items, and the latter wont happen because it would require a ton of conceptual and developmental work and would probably cause a game ending uproar. UO simply couldn't survive another AOS level complete itemization shift, even if it was really good. It would simply lose too many players.

As fir us... Siege is siege. It will always be low population, it will always be mired with ill fitting, issue causing, game disrupting bleed over code... but still, it's the best place to play UO. :D

I think things like fel luck and resource boosts would help, I think lower vendor prices would help, I think giving pvpers a random -shame loot for pvp earned points- merchant would help... but really I don't even see any of those tiny things ever happening, let alone some more elaborate custom systems actually designed for our rule set.

Call me jaded if you must. :p

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I guess I'm weird but ..... I don't play for the "stuff". I play to have fun with friends in the community.

Suppose that puts me in the minority that I don't play to make money or gold or to be the best at this and that... I play to escape my RLife.

Stickypaws

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I guess I'm weird but ..... I don't play for the "stuff". I play to have fun with friends in the community.

Suppose that puts me in the minority that I don't play to make money or gold or to be the best at this and that... I play to escape my RLife.
I also play for fun and community, and have a love of odd templates and seeing how far I can get with them. Due to a number of reasons though the community has dwindled, and 'stuff' is one of them reasons. As other facets of the community dwindles it leaves me with less reason to be here. Even though last month was RTB month it was still pretty quiet on Europa. Except for the silent statues at Luna bank I found nobody to hunt with in the wilds. So from someone who plays for community, I have almost no reason to stay in UO.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
So the question is, how do we bring back the community feeling?
In the past, I too loved to hang out with others. People would be around the player towns, at the bank, at the mage and crafting shops. Now you see no one, at least not on Siege. If they are there, they are all stealthers. Sure for Siege, AoS made it hard to replace gear and players tried not to risk a fight unless they was sure to win it.

I really don't like the idea of giving pvp'ers a random -shame loot for pvp earned points, you can already loot items, you can use, at least on Siege. The problem is, if you loot one piece, you ruin the whole suit for your victim because of the resist.
If resist did not matter and you lost a hat with lets say, LRC, LMC, MI and luck, you just had to find a new hat with this mods and you was on the road again. Most would already have extra pieces of their armor.
A boost to resist both on loot and crafted stuff would make everything much easier.

Guilds could better share the loot as you did not need a calculator put a suit together and you could changes one piece at the time, when you found something better.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Different people find escape in different things I guess.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A boost to resist both on loot and crafted stuff would make everything much easier.
Before you push too hard on this request, don't forget that Siege and Mugen already do get a boost to resists on exceptionally crafted armor and a boost to the damage increase property on weapons if the crafter has Arms Lore skill. I tend to doubt that the devs would increase that very much, if at all, at this point. Also, they seem to have a tendency to "take something away" whenever they give us a boon, so you really have to be careful what you ask for!

http://uo2.stratics.com/skill-guides/skills-and-professions/armslore

Stickypaws

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
So the question is, how do we bring back the community feeling?
By bringing in new blood. Theres currently no community to have a community spirit with. No matter what anyone does to encourage community, its all for nothing if there is no actual players to be communal with. An actual modern 3d client and steam presence may help with this.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
By bringing in new blood. Theres currently no community to have a community spirit with. No matter what anyone does to encourage community, its all for nothing if there is no actual players to be communal with. An actual modern 3d client and steam presence may help with this.
Hard to know how to bring in community... I thought they were going in the right direction with the Governor program... but all that is is a glorified review of the EM events and if you don't RP well you're not going to get anything out of it really .... except the trade deal bonus... and that is only a gold sink for the ones who run for Governor... though the new trade quest have thankfully eliminated the serious drain on my bank bank.

I've tried hundreds of things to get folk together doing things but more often than not the only thing that gets folk together anymore is the idea of loot with either 100's of millions in prizes or drops or EM events where most of the people that go want the drop to sell it for a billion gold or more. Greed has ruined UO for me.

I remember back in the day when I started there was a Tavern on GL's called Tales and Ales... was run by a fellow named Nate Byrd... He left UO long ago but he used to have "Story Night" at his tavern regularly I think it was on a Friday night... and the place would be packed and folk telling stories of how they fought this person or were defeated by that person... or how they went into this dungeon with a group of their buddies and no one came out alive. There weren't any prizes... except free drinks... there wasn't any drop... but it was fun.

I remember standing around at the Smithy waiting in a long line to get my stuff repaired... we'd chat for an hour or more and it was fun.... you got to know your favorite smithy... for me that was Pork Chop Jesus.... he was the smith I always looked for. He had a reputation as a big bad dude but he was always sweet and always fair.

I miss those things. I miss standing around in Skara Brae looking for the Urks to listen to them taunt folk and try to get shinnies as we tried to arrest them and would battle all afternoon over it. I miss the large groups of Role-players who would have their city filled with folk... So many who are gone... I just don't see that ever coming back.

Sometimes I feel as though I'm alone in my pride and love for my "city"... I have lived in Yew on GL's for over 15 years. I've always loved the city and I miss when it was a strong and vibrant place. When we had a good two dozen folk in the Yew Militia and could hold the town from most invaders who sought to defile it. Trouble is there aren't really any reasons for a lot of this anymore. First off we don't have any invaders really anymore. Save Rodrick and his crew... which often is 1 or 2. Towns don't much get invaded anymore... the "threat" to the Kingdom only lasts one night a week. There isn't really any reason to be in a guild or group much anymore when a person can solo 90% of the lands or more.... and there aren't really any benefits to grouping up to do things.

Now if they wanted to make it more awesome then they should add code so the more folk in the group ..... the more chances of a good drop... combine party luck... instead of only the luck of the highest damager counting... Parties ought to count for something. They also ought to get their own individual loot drops with higher chances at better loot because the luck should stack together... Damage should stack together... this way it would be more beneficial to be in a good big group that solo.

Anyway that's my opinion.

Stickypaws

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Hard to know how to bring in community...
My sporadic visitations to UO may have blinkered me from some sort of advertising. But what has Origin/EA/Broadsword done to bring new blood into the game over the last 10 years? Have box sets been sold in shops? Has there been any web adverting? Have they made any honest attempt at sorting the EC so it looks even half as good as KR's graphics? It is hard to know how to bring in new players. But good grief they have to try something.

I thought they were going in the right direction with the Governor program... but all that is is a glorified review of the EM events and if you don't RP well you're not going to get anything out of it really ....
Which is internal to the game and does not bring in new players, nice idea but when there is little to no population on some shards, who is being governed? Theres no community to be communal with.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
In the past we did have Story Nights on Siege
We did also have several groups of Roleplayers, Orc's, Pirates, Undeads, Vampires, Native USA, Elves, Brigands.
We did also have Taverns in the player Towns.
I believe we just need alot new and returning players to bring it back. The Governor system and the town banners to player town are a step in the right direction, so are the VvV, the Traders Quest and New Global Loot. It take time to heal the shard.

Now about the Towns, we need something to bring players back there. Repair deeds was a wrong way to go, it had been better to use trade window for repair to bring players together. We all love our houses but maybe a bonus from the crafting shops could make us use towns more. Lets say, we got repair and enhange bonus, so we would lose less durability on repair and break less items when enhanging items if done in npc crafting shop.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My sporadic visitations to UO may have blinkered me from some sort of advertising. But what has Origin/EA/Broadsword done to bring new blood into the game over the last 10 years? Have box sets been sold in shops? Has there been any web adverting? Have they made any honest attempt at sorting the EC so it looks even half as good as KR's graphics? It is hard to know how to bring in new players. But good grief they have to try something.

Which is internal to the game and does not bring in new players, nice idea but when there is little to no population on some shards, who is being governed? Theres no community to be communal with.
I agree about that not bringing new players.. that's for sure. Steam would be a good step... but they sure are dragging their heels ... I don't know.

Hard to say if anything at this point would bring in new fresh players. But I think there is a whole LOT of work that needs to happen before they even try.

#1 they need to get those High Rez graphics for the EC done!
#2 they need to repair the damage the new UI did to the EC. I still am plagued by things that should have been fixed right away.
#3 they need a new player experience. More than just putting up a bench and saying hey lets have the old vets pay $13 bucks a month to sit on a bench and wait for the one new person or returnee a month to show up. Not really the brightest idea. Sure it'd be nice... but honestly who wants to spend their time sitting at a bench???
#4 they need some sort of large metafiction of the game before they run a return to britannia so there is something for the old vets to do when they come back... instead they log in and find we do things once a week?!?! And if you can't be there that night well your SoL. Not really very exciting to come back to.

Honestly I do understand why they don't give EM sort of power to players on their own shard... but we do need something...

Sadly with the size of the DEV team and such I honestly don't know what we can really expect of them. I want to have hope for the future of UO... and I know the DEV's have a lot of plans for things.... but honestly... it takes so long just to get one thing done... now we have holidays coming up.. folk will be off a lot... we still don't get the communication we should... and I just am not seeing the bright future for the game I love.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hard to know how to bring in community... I thought they were going in the right direction with the Governor program... but all that is is a glorified review of the EM events and if you don't RP well you're not going to get anything out of it really .... except the trade deal bonus... and that is only a gold sink for the ones who run for Governor... though the new trade quest have thankfully eliminated the serious drain on my bank bank.

I've tried hundreds of things to get folk together doing things but more often than not the only thing that gets folk together anymore is the idea of loot with either 100's of millions in prizes or drops or EM events where most of the people that go want the drop to sell it for a billion gold or more. Greed has ruined UO for me.

I remember back in the day when I started there was a Tavern on GL's called Tales and Ales... was run by a fellow named Nate Byrd... He left UO long ago but he used to have "Story Night" at his tavern regularly I think it was on a Friday night... and the place would be packed and folk telling stories of how they fought this person or were defeated by that person... or how they went into this dungeon with a group of their buddies and no one came out alive. There weren't any prizes... except free drinks... there wasn't any drop... but it was fun.

I remember standing around at the Smithy waiting in a long line to get my stuff repaired... we'd chat for an hour or more and it was fun.... you got to know your favorite smithy... for me that was Pork Chop Jesus.... he was the smith I always looked for. He had a reputation as a big bad dude but he was always sweet and always fair.

I miss those things. I miss standing around in Skara Brae looking for the Urks to listen to them taunt folk and try to get shinnies as we tried to arrest them and would battle all afternoon over it. I miss the large groups of Role-players who would have their city filled with folk... So many who are gone... I just don't see that ever coming back.

Sometimes I feel as though I'm alone in my pride and love for my "city"... I have lived in Yew on GL's for over 15 years. I've always loved the city and I miss when it was a strong and vibrant place. When we had a good two dozen folk in the Yew Militia and could hold the town from most invaders who sought to defile it. Trouble is there aren't really any reasons for a lot of this anymore. First off we don't have any invaders really anymore. Save Rodrick and his crew... which often is 1 or 2. Towns don't much get invaded anymore... the "threat" to the Kingdom only lasts one night a week. There isn't really any reason to be in a guild or group much anymore when a person can solo 90% of the lands or more.... and there aren't really any benefits to grouping up to do things.

Now if they wanted to make it more awesome then they should add code so the more folk in the group ..... the more chances of a good drop... combine party luck... instead of only the luck of the highest damager counting... Parties ought to count for something. They also ought to get their own individual loot drops with higher chances at better loot because the luck should stack together... Damage should stack together... this way it would be more beneficial to be in a good big group that solo.

Anyway that's my opinion.
I think what you really miss is novelty of experience. That IS why UO was so amazing back in the day. It was not only a new game, but a new KIND of game (sorta) so it really kinda blew you away.

I just think the game is living past its expiration date, so its gonna have a lot of issues, including an ever shrinking population.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think what you really miss is novelty of experience. That IS why UO was so amazing back in the day. It was not only a new game, but a new KIND of game (sorta) so it really kinda blew you away.

I just think the game is living past its expiration date, so its gonna have a lot of issues, including an ever shrinking population.
I kinda got that novelty again when I went to Siege for awhile. But what I really, really miss... is the people who used to be everywhere. I miss the interactions that just aren't there anymore. I miss a lot of the variety of RP guilds...

I think a lot of folk miss the novelty. But once upon a time there was a thriving community... filled with peril and danger... companions... and I am not talking about Fel... Honestly I never played UO before Tram. Had I played back then I'm sure I'd have the same loathing and hatred for UO my brother has. No I'm talking about the Role-play ... there were always "evil or bad" groups around you had to watch out for. Urks, Drow, the Temple of Mondain... or the Atalan... whatever it was it gave the world some discourse... And then there were metafiction plots that needed to be dealt with.... invading Orcs in Moonglow, Waves of monsters into Britain... The Juka in Yew... I still remember following the Inu the Crone stories... But they weren't stuff you did once a week.... they were ongoing... I miss those things.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I kinda got that novelty again when I went to Siege for awhile. But what I really, really miss... is the people who used to be everywhere. I miss the interactions that just aren't there anymore. I miss a lot of the variety of RP guilds...

I think a lot of folk miss the novelty. But once upon a time there was a thriving community... filled with peril and danger... companions... and I am not talking about Fel... Honestly I never played UO before Tram. Had I played back then I'm sure I'd have the same loathing and hatred for UO my brother has. No I'm talking about the Role-play ... there were always "evil or bad" groups around you had to watch out for. Urks, Drow, the Temple of Mondain... or the Atalan... whatever it was it gave the world some discourse... And then there were metafiction plots that needed to be dealt with.... invading Orcs in Moonglow, Waves of monsters into Britain... The Juka in Yew... I still remember following the Inu the Crone stories... But they weren't stuff you did once a week.... they were ongoing... I miss those things.
I personally adored the wild west anarchy of the first 2 years of UO. It really was a social experiment, albiet one with poorly implemented tools.

I miss people too, I think everyone does, but... I just don't think the bustling full shards are coming back.

Stickypaws

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I don't think we will ever see bustling shards again, but to be honest, I would settle for a bit of bustle in Haven. There just does not ever seem to be any attempt to bring in new blood to replace the vets who have 'been there, done that, moved on'.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think we will ever see bustling shards again, but to be honest, I would settle for a bit of bustle in Haven. There just does not ever seem to be any attempt to bring in new blood to replace the vets who have 'been there, done that, moved on'.
Whats haven?!

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All I can say is WOW!

Ok, so it's only been a few days back to UO (after 6 years) and spending time reading the forums here (yes I know there are more players than those represented here), but I have to say...the population of Ultima Online is really different...and I blame the developers.

UO used to be a MMORPG...now, not so much.

The game used to be highly interactive and the population was.

No matter if you spent your time hanging out at the Brit bank showing off your latest "high fashion", or we're an active Role Player or even someone who spent their time in game PvPing. Ultima Online was a game you got the most out of if you dealt with the public at large.

What has it become? A game who wants to be more like WoW, than UO. Questing for the next big prize seems to be the most common discussion point (outside of the recent changes at Stratics). People don't populate the public areas in game like they used to (yes, I understand the population is ever decreasing). PvP is not like it ever was and this seems to be based on years of script cheating and modifications to the ruleset.

It seems year after year, most of the additions the game has seen has made it easier to become less interactive. Sure, there's a new chat feature...all that has become is an in game forum to use while players sit in their houses or doing other things that doesn't require them to interact with other players in-game.

Not sure there is a fix for this or if they think there is a problem with what they've done to begin with.

Anywho, I don't look at this as a rant, but the start of a discussion.

How could the developers modify the game to make it more interactive than what it has become?...la

UO was anytime that what you have described above for me. Every player has a different way to play the game, for me it is wonderfull to get a bit better every day, for others maybe every successfull trade or a good roleplay. What i like is that UO is all that!

Stubentiger

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I still wait for EA/Broadsword to attract more/new players.
Get on it.
Is it hard to attact new players? yes? Impossible? Not if you guys would really try.

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still wait for EA/Broadsword to attract more/new players.
Get on it.
Is it hard to attact new players? yes? Impossible? Not if you guys would really try.
I'm sure the ad in PC Gamer mag would look great side by side with the full page layout for EverQuest Next. A game almost as old as UO with a completely overhauled engine, UI and over half a million likes on its Facebook page. Tip to Broadsword: Don't include screen shots in the ad. It'll only make it more humiliating. ;)

Stubentiger

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I'm sure the ad in PC Gamer mag would look great side by side with the full page layout for EverQuest Next. A game almost as old as UO with a completely overhauled engine, UI and over half a million likes on its Facebook page. Tip to Broadsword: Don't include screen shots in the ad. It'll only make it more humiliating. ;)
To broadswords defense.
Most of the incompetence of keeping up to date lies with EA. So many failed clients must make interesting talk among developers about what not to do.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I personally adored the wild west anarchy of the first 2 years of UO. It really was a social experiment, albiet one with poorly implemented tools.

I miss people too, I think everyone does, but... I just don't think the bustling full shards are coming back.
A lot of the "busyness," as was pointed out, was from the lack of competition. But another big factor was player churn. It was easy to notice all the newcomers, but not as easy to notice those who gave up, particularly from the "Wild West" atmosphere. PKs coming in en masse (and able to recall as aggressors if they found themselves outmatched), Great Lords who'd drive out Dreads and then come back on their own Dreads, having a house jacked because a thief snagged your key after waiting hidden by the door, house scammers (like the GM of the guild in my name, whose many dirtnaps I've chronicled) who took advantage because of the lack of a secure trading window, fake smiths at Brit who'd scam people's armor (I lost all respect for my first GM when he told me that's how he got his full plate suit of fortification), UOE with Uzi bows and worse. UO in the first couple of years made Dodge City look like afternoon tea.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Having been in the EQ Landmark Alpha/Beta and all and working with that on EQ Next and all... one thing I can say EQ is no UO... The combat and everything is very different. Not caring much for the targeting or any of that and I'll say this if Next is anything close to Landmark... you better have one of the top rigs on the market to play or you're just going to be dead. My computer is decent... it's getting some age on it and all but Landmark pretty much sucks all life from my computer. I added more ram infact doubled my ram as well as upped my Vid card and still I can't reach more than 20fps in Landmark and crash continually.

EQ is extremely beautiful though. And the stuff you can do is A-Mazing... blow you away amazing. When they finally added water I was totally mind blown. And they still have a ton of work to do yet. I really like the way it looks.... just am not impressed with the combat styles, targeting and such.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they had quality content/events/support people would probably pay even more.
Heck most people already do with multiple accounts ....
Only people who are already vets, and even then I have to imagine therewouldnt be a ton. It's already overpriced.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
THE POPULATION OF UO HAS CHANGED

back to the OP......No kidding!!