• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Husband Store...AKA OT Babble Thread!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

shard

Yeah, a good epoxy will hold up to the gas and heat, and once it is cured it is hard as a rock. Maybe harder.

I did have a gas heater I was lighting go off in my face once. And ask The Professor about lighting brooders in the chicken house sometime.

My facial hair is a bit too intact, I need a shave.

U

UOFaerr

babble

With all this rain, I will need to hire someone to mow this yard. rawr

U

UOFaerr

Yeah.. when they can remember to close the cheese when making a sandwhich I will trust them with my lawn mower.

I don't mind them using the pushmower a bit, but the ride on is just too scary. The oldest works full time, and the second oldest does quite a bit around the house for me as it is. So the younger two just aren't old enough to use power equipment yet.

It's probably a good 600 linear feet of sidewalk and driveway that has to be edged with this thing that has a rotary blade, and you have to use your muscles for it.

S

shard

Ah yes, The Edger! Minus three to hit but plus six to Slice on a successful hit.

See Faerr, I don't really edge stuff around here. All the lines flow naturally, as defined by the reach of my mower.....

U

UOFaerr

Very funny. I normally don't care about edging, but the sidewalk has probably lost at least 10 inches of width I'd say to lack of a good edging. So it has to be done!

S

shard

Where are teh Baja babblers?

I know Faerr is lurking. Mama Faith? You out there hon?

Deer noob update: The same doe with her baby is coming around often, and also another doe with twin babies came by the other day. Double deer noob cuteness!!

Faerr's rain moved over this way. It has rained at least a little (sometimes alot) every day for over a week. I hate to complain because once the rain stops, it might not come back til like September or whatever.

[/babble]

G

Dang! I've missed so much of the babble. I had some catching up to do and laughed at you guys as you report about life. As to where I've been? Our basement flooded 3 times in one month. Yeah, it was our own fault for not checking the grade by the foundation but who would expect WY to get 6+" of rain in a month after an 8 year drought? It seemed to take forever to reinstall all the carpets and move furniture back. I was still tuckered out from doing it the first time. So now you know the rest of the story.

I LOVE reading the stories about your mom, Faerr. As you know, my mom passed away last September (she was 87) and I'm missing her more now than I thought was possible. This woman was so awesome and raised 11 kids while Dad took care of the farm and all it entailed. I'm thinking he just didn't want to be in the house with us curtain crawlers. One way that helps lessen some of the pain of losing Ma is sharing stories about her. Faerr's stories could be about my own.*grin*

People say that as a person reaches those twilight years, they sometimes will regress and become more like children. The last time I had the pleasure of visiting Mom, she didn't like the meal that the assisted-living cook had made that day. When I showed it to her, she pointed out how she hated everything on the plate and stalked off and sat down in her chair. I just smiled and told her that she had to eat something when I was actually biting my tongue to keep from saying, "either eat what's on the table or go to bed hungry". I ended up going to the local Dairy Bar and getting a BLT for her. The look of satisfaction on her face, when she saw that sandwich, was worth the tantrum I witnessed. I did have to tell her that when I acted like that as a child, I got spanked and sent to my room. She just giggled and told me she was too big to turn over anyone's knee.

Mom had lost most of her hearing by the time she was in her 70's. It made visiting difficult at times (I was always getting hoarse from yelling) so I'd do jigsaw puzzles with her, listen to a TV that was WAY TOO LOUD or just sit by her on the couch just so she could be near someone. She seemed to be so much more lonely after Dad passed away and she loved having her chicks under her wing. I didn't get my 'Mother Hen' tendencies from a stranger. I can't tell you what I'd give to get one last hug from that woman. *soft smile*

It's that time of the year where I normally go back to ND to see Ma and brothers/sisters, who still live back there, so I'm feeling rather blue. It's not the same without her so I don't think that trip is going to be made this year. Thank you for letting me babble. It helps me heal by remembering her for the gift she was.

G

I'm posting this pic to explain why I'm not a huge fan of bunnies and antelope in my yard. I spoke of the drought we had for at least 8 years and the trees that we were trying to grow took quite a beating. This is a picture of what the creatures do to anything they can reach. It reminds me of a tree you'd see in a Dr. Seuss cartoon. *LOL* I don't think any more explanation is necessary.

U

UOFaerr

hahaha

My friend in Arizona has the same problem whereas I just have not.

I can't tell what sort of tree that is. Is it indigenous to the area and plentiful? If it isn't than it could be a delicacy to the animals in the area. I guess if you live on an empty plain and you plant something that is tender and tasty you're gonna get hit.

I can't tell if that's a barrier around it or dead grass. If you haven't tried a barrier, a triangle is structurally more stable than a square. It can at least help the sapling get rooted well. That could be gosh 5 to 7 years before the tree is large enough to survive.

You know, I completely understand not wanting them in your yard. I just like to give you [censored] about it because I can. meow.

It's just baby bunnies are just soooo darn cute, it's hard to resist them. I can't stand not helping them(I just took a couple more in this week but one died).

Thing is I think I am done doing it. It has been a privilege to learn how to do it be trusted by peers and rehabilitators, and very nice to be successful at it but I think I am ready to stop. It just never ends. It's been good to show my children how to help out animals and maybe feel a bit closer to nature. One of my teenagers is really into helping me and that has been a tremendous help.

But I think I may start telling people something like, "Well YOU found them. You took them out of their nest, either put them back in the nest or feed them yourself." Because it really is that simple. It boils down to the fact that usually women find them, or their cat or dog finds them but it's always some woman that just can't stand it so they take them all out of their nest. Then they have these bunnies and think "What now. Oh I will call a vet because surely a human can raise bunnies better than a mother rabbit."

I prefer if it's a situation such as the mother was absent, but 9 out of 10 it's just ignorant human interference that causes the problem.

Man! Do I sound jaded or what?

G

That picture was actually taken last year. The trees do look a little better this year but the antelope are starting in again. We've seriously thought about putting up a chain link fence but we have 2 acres and the expense has kept us from it. Besides that, our neighbor does have chain link and I've witnessed antelope jumping over it to get to a tasty bush.
And btw...that tree is actually a lilac. *snicker* See! It's been eaten to the point where noone can tell what kind it is. And so, we sit with a BB gun in the garage and if I go out late at night and see them 'grazing', I shoot up a little dirt around them to scare them off. If one ACCIDENTALLY hits them in the butt? Awwwww.

I don't think your comment on the bunnies is jaded at all. I remember, as a little girl, bringing various baby animals into the house because their mama wasn't with them. It didn't take long before I understood that this was a "no no". The mother could be out hunting and if she smelled a human on them, she could reject them and then they surely would die. It was all survival of the fittest on the farm. As humans, our good intentions can actually backfire and we end up doing more harm than good.

U

UOFaerr

Hey there.. quick FYI rabbits don't reject due to smell, stick them back in the nest unless you know the mom is gone. The same thing for birdies. I am not sure about other small mammals or deer though.

Lilac bushes always look like hell unless they are blooming don't they? LOL

Yep fencing is not cheap.

G

Oh my gosh! I didn't know that about rabbits and birds. Maybe that's the story my parents told us so that we wouldn't have a house full of both kids and animals. Can't say I blame them.

And actually, our old farmstead was surrounded by lilac trees and they were gorgeous. They were prettier when they had blooms but even after those died, the foliage was wonderful. But then again, that was ND soil and they weren't tiny trees.

L

LadyMistake

Deer are born with no detectable smell, that is why they are camy when they are born. They can lay perfectly still right under the feet of a predetor and it wouldn't know unless the fawn moved. And you are absolutely right about birds...the misconception probably came aobut because if a baby has issues, the mother will boot it from the nest. not sure where that came about from. Same with rabbits. and lilacs are no doubt right up there with roses when it comes to pretty!!!

...and I'm a posting roll tonight, sorry guys.

Very Respectfully,

Lady Phoenix Aylwyn

U

UOFaerr

Thanks Lady M, and don't worry about babbling that's what this thread is for.

I didn't know that about the deer.

Now I still stand in my opinion on Lilac trees. Here, they are just these gnarled up things that droop over to the ground. Am I thinking about the same thing? Okay I am going to google a lilac tree and see if it's what I think it is. LOL

U

UOFaerr

This here thing?

Crepe Myrtle's got you beat! rawr

I thought this was a pretty flowering tree for the southwest climate it's called a Jacaranda. I wish I could grow them here, but it's too cold in the winter. The blooms are very messy and slippery but sooo pretty. It's a fast growing tree too, in a hot climate.

G

Faerr, they must grow a different type of lilac where you live. The ones I'm talking about look more like this picture when blooming and the bush is at least 10 ft. tall. But I have to say that the pictures you posted of those other trees were gorgeous. What I'd give to be able to grow things like that. *sigh*

U

UOFaerr

Alright well I had to post this here because the other thread got YOINKED!!!
I figure someone went through, posted several snotty responses to people then probably harrassed the moderators until they pulled the entire thread, even though they got to enjoy writing their responses.

Again as before, it wasn't cool try to incite anger in me by talking about my family or my parenting skills or implying that I am ordering around my spouse or teaching my children weird things. It really was improper of someone so pious.

The below may be of interest to people.
The statement below was made I think four days before the 2003 invasion of Iraq. This is what upset people so much that they would burn things? Pretty scary I think. I am very proud that I did not let my children be involved in something like this. I want them to know it's okay to speak out. It may not have been the smartest thing for Maine's to do, but again the underlying message that seems to be forgotten is that it was her right to do it.

Maines, a native of Lubbock, Texas, got herself into trouble last week when she told a London audience, "Just so you know, we're ashamed the president of the United States is from Texas." The London papers barely blinked an eye, but the American media caught on fast.

Maines didn't even rush to clean up the damage. "I feel the president is ignoring the opinion of many in the U.S. and alienating the rest of the world," she said on Thursday. "My comments were made in frustration, and one of the privileges of being an American is you are free to voice your own point of view."

Do you think it's possible that some of the people that wanted her burned in effigy probably don't approve of the war in Iraq, you know years later now that it's cost so much money and men are dying due to improper management of military. Or even scarier, maybe it's those CD burning fanatics that are the only people that are in his approval pool right now.

S

shard

*content deleted due to political crap -- this is a babble, not a political thread. Faerr gets a point but that is all*

A doe meandered thru the yard a while ago. If I can get 2 more dry days, I might get to mow the back of my yard.

I think I have 2 muscadine producing vines on the east side of the yard trying to take hold. Shame that the sun is hard on them.....

G

<blockquote><hr>

*content deleted due to political crap -- this is a babble, not a political thread. Faerr gets a point but that is all*

[/ QUOTE ]

Spank her Shard!

G

I don't know how old some of you are but I grew up with parents who were young adults during the Great Depression (I still don't know why it was called "great"). They had a gift for getting points across with proverbs or aphorisms, if you will. When Mom passed away, we found this quiz with 30 of these sayings that were put into "governmentese" speak. I'm only going to type 10 of them but see if you can break them down into their true proverb. Put those thinking caps on.

1. Similar sire, similar scion.
2. Precipitancy creates prodigality.
3. Tenants of vitreous abodes ought to hurl no lithoidal fragments.
4. It is not proper for mendicants to be indicatrous of preferences.
5. Compute not your immature gallinaceans prior to their being produced.
6. It is fruitless to become lacrymous because of scattered lacteal fluid.
7. Cleave gramineous matter for fodder during the period that the orb of the day is refulgent.
8. A feline posseses the power to contemplate a monarch (I'd never heard this one)
9. Pulchritude does not extend below the surface of the derma.
10. Failure to be present causes the vital organ to become more enamored.

U

UOFaerr

Let's see... I think I know some of these. I am going to try to figure them out without using a search engine or dictionary. LOL

Don't want to spoil them so scroll for my answers

scroll some more fool!

keep scrolling!

Your getting good at this scrolling stuff.

1. Similar sire, similar scion. (Like father, like son)

2. Precipitancy creates prodigality.

3. Tenants of vitreous abodes ought to hurl no lithoidal fragments.(People in glass houses should not throw rocks)

4. It is not proper for mendicants to be indicatrous of preferences.(beggars can't be choosers)

5. Compute not your immature gallinaceans prior to their being produced.(Dont count your chickens before they are hatched?)

6. It is fruitless to become lacrymous because of scattered lacteal fluid.(Useless to cry over spilled milk.)

7. Cleave gramineous matter for fodder during the period that the orb of the day is refulgent. (This one is like cutting something for fuel before the sun goes down? I have NO idea what it is.. I'm probably going to feel stupid when someone tells me. rawr)

8. A feline posseses the power to contemplate a monarch

9. Pulchritude does not extend below the surface of the derma. (Beauty is only skin deep)

10. Failure to be present causes the vital organ to become more enamored. (Abscence makes the heart grow fonder) aaah especially if you know a real [censored]. ahahahah

G

Faerr, you did very well. I had to look up the meaning of number 8. It was one that neither Mom nor Dad used. The others were ones we heard quite a bit.
WARNING: THE ANSWERS FOLLOW SO DON'T LOOK IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW.

1. Like father, like son
2. Haste makes waste
3. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
4. Beggars can't be choosers
5. Don't count your chickens before they're hatched.
6. Don't cry over spilled milk.
7. Make hay while the sun shines (the saying continues: "and make love when it rains)
8. A cat may look at the king (meaning "you're no better than me")
9. Beauty is only skin deep
10. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

I'll post another 10 sometime next week if you're wanting another brain teaser.

S

shard

OK, I got alla those but the cat and the king bit. Whatever.

But in babbling about the local critters I forgot to mention the crawdad noobs!!

So a week or so ago, when it was raining, my little dog and I were in the carport watching it rain and watching the water run across the driveway, and I notice something small crawling 'upstream' through the running water. I had seen a crawdad or two doing the same thing, but whatever this was it was tiny. I walked closer for a better look. I was a newbie crawdad only about one quarter of an inch long. Crawdad noob! Twas the smallest I had ever seen, but I guess all crawdads start out tiny.

Been a few days since I have seen the deer noobs, but the mommies are around alot, so the babies are prolly just hiding out.

The county came through and bush hogged along the road today. Hit my mailbox. I had to fix it. No big deal really. I was just happy the didn't run over the water meter and break my water line like the Entergy crew did a while back. I guess those red reflectors I put out there are getting their attention.

Oh, and a friend of mine killed a rattlesnake in his yard this week. Eleven rattles and a button. Pretty big rattler.

[/babble]

U

UOFaerr

*shudder* rattle snakes! Aaaah the good old days when I would go rattle snaking with a friend and our fathers. There is something twisted about a pre teen shooting a rattler with a hand gun. LOL LOL lesigh.

okay now onto crawdads. Hilariously, I think we paid 2 or 3 dollars for her from the fish store when we coulda got one from the river, but okay it was an impulse purchase. And this one had a nice batch of eggs under her tail. I wanted to watch them hatch.

Sure enough we soon had tons of the cutest little crawfish you ever did see. ever did see.. anyway there was about 100 to start with, then we noticed by the end of that week the numbers were dwindling. Then it was down to about 20 of them and we saw that two particular crawfish were five times larger than their siblings!!

We continued to let them duke it out because we wanted to see which crawfish would win.

We named him Jeffrey Dahmer. Ends up he died because I got too busy with the kids and forgot he was in a bucket on the porch while we were cleaning the tank, and I think it probably got about 115 degrees that day. Not good.

okay now the big question is.. WHY AM I AWAKE.

G

Jeffrey Dahmer! *LOL* You're sick, woman. And Shard, I have to agree with Faerr on the rattlesnakes. They're fine if they stick to their own area but they'd better not wander into my back yard.

And here's another pic for your viewing pleasure.

U

UOFaerr

aaaw that is so cute! oh gosh.

See? How can I resist helping these things if they need it? Just show me one and I'm paralyzed like superman with kryptonite. *sigh*

My two we got last week died. That ended my winning streak for the season. *snap*

G

I will even admit that bunny is cute. I'm wondering if we have a different kind here because ours aren't near that adorable. If they'd leave my plants alone, I would live in perfect harmony with them. *snicker*

U

UOFaerr

Well... that looks like an eastern cottontail bunny that is probably around 14 days old.

Hrmmm I wonder what it is you have up there wether it's some sort of jackrabbit. Or maybe you have a snowshoe hare?

Snowshoe Hare

The Snowshoe Hare gets its name from large feet that make their track look like they are wearing shoes. These large feet have four long toes that spread out to move on snow easily. They can travel up to 45 mph. They have white fur in the winter and brown fur in the summer, a white belly all year round, and black tuffs around their ears which are shorter than other hares.

In Washington and Oregon where snow is less frequent, the snowshoe hare stays brown all year long. They use their nose and whiskers to sense and smell danger nearby. The snowshoe hare is slightly larger than cottontails and smaller than the black-tailed jackrabbit. They eat tree bark and wood from aspen, Mama Faith's Lilac bushes,willow and maple trees during the winter. They also eat the needles off fir, cedar and spruce trees. In the summer they eat grasses, clover, raspberry and blackberry shoots AND Mama Faith's Lilac Bushes.
Adult females breed with various males and produce one to thirteen babies twice a year. They are born with fur, with their eyes opened, and are able to hop immediately. Generally silent, the snowshoe hare shows annoyance by a series of snorts and high pitched squeals when caught. They are found in spruce and fir forests with dense underbrush that gives them cover and provides them with food. The home range of the snowshoe hare is rather large and contains a network of trails that are traveled by hares, squirrels, porcupines and skunks. They keep the trails maintained by eating the stems and leaves that block them. Active during sundown and at dawn, they rest under brush, stumps or in logs. Found throughout Canada to the Appalachian Mountains in the east and the Rocky and Cascade mountains in the west, the snowshoe hare is also found south to South Carolina, New Mexico and California and all the way north to the Arctic Ocean. Predators include the Canadian lynx, the red fox, coyotes, and the great horned owl. Snowshoe hares that are one to two weeks of age are sometimes killed by red and ground squirrels.

G

*LOL* I loved your additions to that story. Now if rabbits could read and know they're NOT supposed to eat my plants and bushes, we'd be in business. I asked Mike what kind of rabbits we have and he said they're jackrabbits and cottontails. I don't know which specific type but they're the same color as the rabbit pic you posted. Then again, are all wild rabbits that color in the summer for camouflage? I guess we'll just have to put up with them and be grateful that it's not bear or mountain lions that are being pests.

G

<blockquote><hr>

*LOL* I loved your additions to that story. Now if rabbits could read and know they're NOT supposed to eat my plants and bushes, we'd be in business. I asked Mike what kind of rabbits we have and he said they're jackrabbits and cottontails. I don't know which specific type but they're the same color as the rabbit pic you posted. Then again, are all wild rabbits that color in the summer for camouflage? I guess we'll just have to put up with them and be grateful that it's not bear or mountain lions that are being pests.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mama Faith ... As you know, I don't live all that far from you (as the crow flies). This past spring I put in a new yard and flowerbeds, which seems to have resulted in an open invitation to a smorgasbord for cottontails.
I have started calling the most tenacious of these Mama Vorpal. Every day she's out in the yard burrowing. I go out to fill the most recent excavation in with a shovel and water it down, while Mama Vorpal merrily hops about 10' away, and frantically starts digging again. My new yard is starting to look like a bomb drop practice area. To add insult to injury, while I was filling in a dig site this morning, Mama Vorpal hopped into my flowerbed and bit into a yellow [censored] ... then flaunted it by hopping around the yard with the flower sticking out one side of her mouth, looking a lot like a cottontail's imitation of a flamingo dancer.
I'm reasonably certain she's trying to build a nest for her soon-to-arrive babies, then I'll have an entire litter of bunnies carrying her tenacity gene!
There is also a mountain lion living and/or ranging within close proximity of my place ... but that's another story.

U

UOFaerr

LOL

Depending on the time of day that may be a jackrabbit and not a cottontail. Cottontails are typically active wee early morning, at dusk and night time.

Mama, they all have that basic woodland critter coat that resembles earth and bark. They can be told apart by the length of their ears and hind legs as well as the belly which is white on a cottontail.

I don't really care for jackrabbits because they just aren't cute enough. What can I say. LOL

I haven't had to deal with them too badly. See the thing is here where I live there is so much vegetation that the rabbits just don't get into my plants. They aren't a delicacy to them or a necessity for life.

If you don't have some outside cats, get a few. That will help keep down the rabbit population plus they will keep other critters away too. Of course you have to worry about those bobcats eating your outdoor cat. LOL Just don't get attached to them I guess.

I don't know what the answer is.

I try to release most of mine in unpopulated areas now just because I know some people don't like them.

Still it's just cool to hear a small child squeal with delight and point and say "look bunny!" or any other wildlife that is around. If we are out walking and we see these things it makes me feel proud of my area to have turkey, deer and other things to show my children.

They are just too cute I tell you.

G

<blockquote><hr>

LOL

Depending on the time of day that may be a jackrabbit and not a cottontail. Cottontails are typically active wee early morning, at dusk and night time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Mama Vorpal is a cottontail ... She has a smaller body, shorter ears and hind legs than a jackrabbit. I've considered live trapping her, then relocating her over in the state park about 2 miles away. The park is actually a buffalo pasture, and seems to be a jackrabbit refuge.

G

Faerr, I agree about jackrabbits. They're just a homely rabbit and there's no getting around it. Sara, I loved the story about Mama Vorpal. The cottontails we've had around here are way to comfy with us too. It used to be that we'd come out the door and they'd run. Now, they just stretch out in the holes they've dug and go to sleep. By the way, have you had many sightings of the creature I'm posting the picture of? I know that you're in the more wild part of the state. *grin*

G

Ohhh! A jackalope!!! Actually, you're much closer to Douglas (the home of the jackalope) than I am, so you probably see more of them than I do!

G

We're very careful when driving at night because if you run over one of them, there's no repairing that tire. It's torn to shreds from their horns.

L

LadyMistake

Woo Montana has jackalopes to!

I actaully wanted to put something in here about this stupid thing on the news.

These little school boys that they're going to charge with felony sexual assault for swatting some girls on the butt. What in the hell are they teaching our kids now? Yes I agree it wasn't right, but come on for crying out loud....felony? Then they would have to register as sex offenders to... This is an outrage if you ask me. Pretty soon we're going to be sending out kids to school on handcuffs and muzzles. What is this society coming to?!?

V/R

Lady Phoenix Aylwyn

G

I couldn't agree more Lady. I'd love to take some of these parents nowadays and just shake em!!! People are so frickin hung up on stupid stuff like this that the court systems are flooded with frivilous cases while important ones are being delayed. Did you hear the story yesterday about the scumball who ****d an 18 mo. old and a 7 year old but a judge dismissed the case because this piece of crap was denied his right to a speedy trial (though he had withdrawn his request for one). There was all kinds of BS about needing an interpreter for him and one wasn't found in 2 1/2 yrs. This beast (I refuse to call him a "man") went to high school and college in the USA and yet he needed an interpreter??? Oh and also isn't it amazing how they had an interpreter in the courtroom when the judge was dismissing the case and yet they couldn't find one in 2 1/2 yrs? If you think I'm pulling your leg, just do a search on Mahamu Kanneh. *screams* I need to go do something to walk off my anger. God helps us all cuz we're going to hell in a handbasket!

L

LadyMistake

As a matter of fact I did catch that one... or the case with this guy from Taiwan that killed the 12 year old that they are saying they can't give the death penalty to... IMO repeat offenders are not recoverable... isn't once bad enough? Somehow I think that things are set up to happen like this to distract the nation from others things that are going on. But who knows.

V/R

Lady Phoenix Aylwyn

U

UOFaerr

How many times were they told not to touch the girls. That's the first thing I would want to know.

Second thing I would want to know is what did the school do about it when it was reported.

Principals now days are spin doctors. They try to make everyone happy and the law is on the side of the child that misbehaves. Principals try to manipulate the GOOD kids parents because well ya know the good kids follow rules and more than likely follow rules because their parents do so by example.

I would not be surprised if this is what the parents of the girls had to do to finally get the boys to leave their daughters alone.

What ever happened to parents making their kids mind, and once told not to do something like this the kids shouldn't have to be told again.

I beat the holy crap out of a boy that tried to fondle me in third grade. I turned around and whacked him good and hard with a pair of those plastic clacker toys(kids of the 70's called them kebangers they were two plastic balls on a string with a handle in the middle and the point of having them was to get them clacking back and forth really fast. Very dangerous toy eh).

I hit him so hard that he had started foaming at the mouth, had a big knot on the front of his head. Ooops.

Today, in public school if your child defends themselves they are punished.

I don't know the details of the story, but maybe it's what the parents had to do in order to get the girls school to listen to them.

Remember folks there are idiots out there that think it's funny to sit a young child down in front of rap and other music videos and other raunch on television and not stop and think that maybe the children are being taught inappropriate things by it. Or teenage influence over these kids. Older siblings that think it's funny to teach their kid brother to act gangsta, never stopping and thinking of the implications of the child getting in trouble for emulating them. Idiots.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I hit him so hard that he had started foaming at the mouth, had a big knot on the front of his head. Ooops.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're my hero, Faerr. *LOL* I thought I was sooooo much older than you but I was also in grade school when those toys were popular so now I'm doing the math. *grin*

I agree about parents not wanting to parent. It was hard work to be constantly watching what they were doing but I took my job very seriously. I blocked MTV while my kids were still at home. They were so angry with me and thought I was an old fuddy duddy but that was my duty &amp; right as a parent. I told them that if they chose to watch that stuff when they were on their own, they could pay for it but it was NOT allowed in this house. I still won't turn that channel on and though some enjoy it, it's not my cup of tea. There were very few areas where our household was treated as a democracy when it came to what was allowed on TV, video games, etc.

I've cooled down since I read Lady Mistake's post on the sexual assault charge and it's true that there may be more to that story. But I wish that kids were allowed to defend themselves the way we were able to when growing up. I, for one, still believe that a good arse kicking will make someone leave you alone. I had a job a few years back where I organized a mechanic's department for about 23 men. One of my bosses was talking to me about sexual harassment one day. I turned to him and said, "Rich. None of you guys would have to worry about me turning you in if you were to try that. I'd smack the *expletive deleted* out of you and that would be the end of it." Rich started laughing (he was also a farm kid from ND) and said, "I don't doubt for one second that you'd do just that". I can hear some people sighing and thinking I'm a 'violent' person. That couldn't be further from the truth but I do believe in defending myself like I had to while growing up. We all lived to tell the tales and maybe that's why I'm still so independent and don't depend on someone else to take care of me. *heavy sigh*

G

<blockquote><hr>

Woo Montana has jackalopes to!

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you do but ours like to play 'jackalope games'.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Maybe you do but ours like to play 'jackalope games'.

[/ QUOTE ]ROFL'ing!

U

UOFaerr

hehe that jackalope must not have the system requirements to play a better MMO.

Mama, I'm not ashamed of my age. I'm not grandma age though. I graduated from highschool in 1987.

G

<blockquote><hr>

hehe that jackalope must not have the system requirements to play a better MMO.

[/ QUOTE ]
My jackalope is deeply wounded.

<blockquote><hr>

Mama, I'm not ashamed of my age. I'm not grandma age though. I graduated from highschool in 1987.

[/ QUOTE ]
1979 and still feeling fine.

G

*ROFLMBO* That's awful! But hilarious. It almost looks like that jackalope had his winter coat? If so, I'm sure it was the cold that got him.

G

This is worse.

The antler arches in Jackson Hole, WY are rumored to actually be from the now extinct prehistoric mammoth jackalope... so it is said!

Status
Not open for further replies.