• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Alternates - An RPing Temp Agency

G

Well I am progressing nicely on the hub site for Alternates, just in case Stratics turns us down. So far, I have the following features:

The Alternates: Feature List
* News Page, for reports on events, the site, or other important details.
* Public/Private Forums.
* Submissions forum (which does not require the event submitters to be registered on the Alternates web site, making it easier for them to request aid).
* Picture Gallery, divided by Shard, for us to host pictures from events we participate in. Anyone who is a member of the site will be able to post pictures up.
* Quest/Event Database, for us to record scripts for later use. Anyone will be able to submit quests to the database, but they do require our approval.
* Multi Shard Event Calendar, allowing us to view all the events we are participating in.
* Downloads for programs that help facillitate us with out program. Ie, UO Wedding, Screenshot programs, etc.
* IRC connection to the #TheAlternates room on irc.stratics.com, allowing people to access it without using mIRC or another client.
* Shard Based Establishment Link Engine. This is hard to explain, but is based on the UOLS Moongate I use at www.uols.net. Intead of the multiple categories, as you can see on the top of UOLS, there will be icons for each shard. Selecting a shard will bring down a drop list of all the establishments on that shard. In this way, I feel we can offer a quick "find the locations" resource for guilds/towns on all shards with a simple interface.

The end result is a community oriented web site that allows us access to the tools to do our jobs, information for potential quest coordinators on sample plotlines/events that we already know work, access to our people via the forums/irc/personal contact information, and the ability to quickly and easily navigate to UO community web sites on ALL shards.

So that's my scope as it stands now. If there is something you feel should be added, please reply here with your suggestions, and I'll look into what we can do to get it in there. For those of you eagerly awaiting... I'll post a screenshot of the layout (still in the works) later tonight.

I

imported_Hazard

I'll join the effort as well.

Here's another idea for the website: A list of barkeep owners that can be contacted for keyword placement (with sextant coordinates of the barkeep).

Was at your Baja house this evening, but saw no sign of the stone.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Poster: Hazard

Here's another idea for the website: A list of barkeep owners that can be contacted for keyword placement (with sextant coordinates of the barkeep).

<hr></blockquote>What do you mean by the barkeeps idea? How would we use them?

And great to have you aboard, Hazard.

J

Jhaelyrr

Barkeeps can be made to respond to certain words, up to three key words/phrases per barkeep. Say, you set it to respond to "Event" or something along those lines. If a person walks up to it and says Event, it will reply with whatever you have set it to do so.

Another example:
One of my houses doubles as a tavern for pirates. Pirates being a bit of a rowdy bunch :), I've set the barkeep to use phrases that will work in that environment. So, if someone casts Explosion (Vas Ort Flam being the key phrase), the barkeep responds with "There ain't t'be fightin' here! Take it outside!"

Erm...yeah, I think that's about it on those :)

D

Dandi

Members and groups that want to be involved with the events can coordinate rumour mills and hints to get their friends and guildmates into it.

Benefits could include getting more people to hang around player taverns, which just seems like a much more natural place to sit around than the bank.

I

imported_Hazard

Barkeeps are a nice substitute for players in an event, if you do not have a suitable number of people to play as 'actors'. They can also be used in the case that you want to concentrate your 'actors' in a certain place while using barkeeps to keep players moving toward to a substantial 'event point'. I believe OSI used to use barkeep style NPC's in some of their older plots due to the sheer number of participants.

Ex: Player Actor at Vesper Dock tells small party that they will need to sail their secret cargo around the 'Mermaids Tail' near Sacrifice. At that point they will need to pull up to a house there and talk to the 'sailor' barkeep within, asking for directions to the 'Baudy Wench Alehouse'. The barkeep will have a few keywords and phrases programmed in, although will relinquish the next destination (sextant coors) only upon the 'tip' feature. The party then sails to the ol' 'Baudy Wench' where the next player actor(s) await.

Anyway, by having a network of Barkeep owners, you can pick and choose which area of the land you would like to place keywords/phrases for your quests (without having to buy another account and place a house there). I was actually toying with the idea of having a boat race using barkeeps placed along coastal areas. The participants would have to stop several times along the route to find where to sail to next through easy to answer riddles about Ultima Lore (or such).

Also, as Dandi mentioned you could probably take a few rumors (and the like) and have every barkeep owner on the network list program them into their own barkeeps for maximum effect (for the given shard that is having the event).

Brytt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I sign my name down to be a part of this! Wish i had more time to read up on the idea right now, but expect to see my face a lot when i get back.

Barkeep idea is a great one. *snickers at Hazard's use of ol' "Baudy Wench" Heh. I think I know that place. Great beer. ;-)

~Brytt
Golden Brew of Baja
Golden Brew Players

G

I am going to run a trial run for the concept on Lake Superior, on Friday Sept 26th at 9 CST. In short, it will be a simple Orc Invasion of an elven town during a festival. Light Rp, light PvP, and afterwards the town will be holding a Bardic Contest with poetry/stories, so if you wish to stick around we can arrange to have gates provided for non-orc newbs.

If you can RSVP for the event, we'll need you about 8:30 CST on the 26th, where we will set you up with weaponry and armor. I'll have a run down of the "script" but it will be mostly free form, and everyone is welcome to get as IC as they want. As newbs, we WILL all be slaughtered, but that's OK. hehe.

Please send an email to [email protected] if you can make the event. I'll notify evryone who RSVP's the day before, and day of, as well as sending them event specific information. If you want to make your Orc ahead of time and work on their skills a bit, feel free, but it's not needed. We don't need to be all that tough, just fun!

As an unrelated footnote, perhaps it WOULD be a good idea to make a savage, orc, and undead character on every shard, and at least work their melee skills up to relatively OK levels. Its a lot of work, and I am not sure even I can set aside the time for it, or if it's really worthwhile. But if other's would like to, I think I can arrange to get gear/regs/resources to help with their training. What do you all think?

For orc names, try using uo.com's list here. For creation, go for sick yellowish skin, bald/beardless. For a quick primer on speaking orcish, use the shadowclan language guide. (thanks to Dandi for reminding me to post this info)

M

meru of europa

Let me do a test run and see if I can get up that early /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif. (It'll be 3:30am here at event start :p).

I

imported_Hazard

I think I may be crazy enough to try to make 3 characters on every shard (except Siege of course), although it might take quite a long time. How bout Pirates? Of course....they can be made on the fly.

Anyway, do you have any suggestions for a undead character template and rainment? I'm not too familiar with what to do, although I can imagine necromancy or bone armor might be involved.

G

For an undead character, you do not need to even be a Necromancer. We can BUY enough skill in necromancy to transform into a wraith/banshee. I would just start as a warrior for the extra combat skills. We could also transform into the Morlochs, those huge four armed beast looking creatures. Personally, I would name them "a wraith" or "a banshee" or some such, but if you preferred a name then go for it.

If we can assemble suits of 5 hp regen armor/jewelry on the various shards, Newbie Necromancers using medium level skill bonus Necro items could even go for Liches. Personally, I am going to try and create a liche on every shard if I can. I would love to run some quests of undead "controlled" by a Liche who actually IS a Liche. hehe.

Even if we build up some of our characters, the point was never to be awesome pvp opponents. Our purpose is just to add spice and flavor to existing events. The obvious roles I seeing us being able to play are:

* Orc - easy to emulate, and with orc masks we can even run events inside orc spawns for increased firepower.
* Savages - with paint, again easy to setup... and also easy to get that same firepower.
* Undead - Necro skill wraiths/banshees/morlochs/liches, but unfortunately there is nothing that lets us setup in normal undead spawn areas.
* Pirates - just a bit of gear and some ships and we are ready to go!
* Evil mages - robe and go!
* Honor Guards - Field your own "army" for an event.
* Townsfolk - duh.

We could also do Elves, Dwarves, whatever some RP imagines up for us. I can see one of the Orc Clans hiring us to play a group of Elves so they can smash us up good, or something like that. hehe. If OSI would just turn polymporh into a toggable switch duration, like Necro transformations, we could field an incredibly impressive array of monsters/animals/creatures as well, just by having some mage jewelry on each shard we "share" to setup for the event. If you like the idea, vote for it HERE and send everyone you know to vote as well. It would exponentially increase our versatility. Imagine if we could field forces of:

* Demons
* Gargoyles
* Ogres
* Trolls
* Ettins
* Lizardmen
* Orcs
* Gorillas
* Panthers
* Dogs
* Bears - all types (Werebears?)
* Wolves (Werewolves?)
* Slimes!! (that guy is such a slime bag!)
* Chickens!!!

As an update, sorry about the delays on the website. I am still waiting on word back from Stratics, and I havent had a chance to touch the seperate one I am working on in the past 3 days. When OSI announced the "Royal Guard" conscriptions it set me into hyperdrive setting up a communication network for them on LS, to actually provide an infrastructure for it all.

J

Jhaelyrr

<blockquote><hr>

For an undead character, you do not need to even be a Necromancer. We can BUY enough skill in necromancy to transform into a wraith/banshee. I would just start as a warrior for the extra combat skills. We could also transform into the Morlochs, those huge four armed beast looking creatures. Personally, I would name them "a wraith" or "a banshee" or some such, but if you preferred a name then go for it.

<hr></blockquote>
Need to watch the "a wraith" type names. If it's the same name as something in game, OSI doesn't like it :/ It would be better to drop the "a" part, and just go with "wraith", "ghoul", etc.

G

Oooh, love the idea about changing polymorph to be similar to wraith form. There'd be so many possibilities. Armies of deadly chickens! =D

Brytt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*You spy Brytt standing in front of a full-length mirror upstairs in the Brew, holding up an orcish costume for an apparent theatrical project of some sort*

*Ahem*

Aharr, mub gub ta gub ta scubby lub lubbers! Dub ma dargilgaglug bub no clomp da humies.... bub gigruk tab da butty! Har har har!

Sakkarah

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Woot! Well you can definitely count me in. This is an awesome idea and you couldn't have said it better: finding proper support when trying to organize in game event can be a nightmare.

Not to hijack this thread, I made a post on both the Atlantic forum and this forum looking for volunteers to assist me in bringing a seer type event to Atlantic (details here). A few people contacted me through PM. But after all these weeks, I'm still trying to recruit more volunteers, mainly to help with generating spawn. At this point, I'm considering hiring people at WBB.

So it's refreshing to see so many here seem interested in donating their time to bring some life to the various shards.

M

Moradin of LS

Like the idea and would like to help but my UO time has been reduced alot lately. Its going to hard for me to do Dennars invasion as a smith again and I plan to be at that one.

C

Chinalilly

LOL, well, I was as disaster in the making /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

Can we spell *confused!* /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

Do we have a discussion board designated for this group so we can discuss the event and make suggestions, adjustments and tweaks?

B

brisid

(repost from The Silver Arrow message board)

Friday evening, at around 9:30 central reckoning, Tel'Ruid was raided by a large, mixed group of orcs and ettins.

Coming from the west, they arrived at the Silver Arrow Tavern, where Camris Lindar was starting the Bardic Contest. The initial group were armed but weak melee fighters numbering over twenty. They were from a more advanced orc clan and spoke in crude but understandable Commonspeak.

After a few brief insults, they began their attack. A few minutes later, we discovered this was but the leading edge of their raid; the main attack force arrived southwest of the Silver Arrow, composed of dozens of orcs, orc lords, orc mages, and ettins.

Fortunately, Yavieba Festival had drawn an extraordinarily large group; we were able to keep the attackers out of the Silver Arrow and eventually defeat them. Near the end of the battle, one of the orcs signaled that he wished to parlay.

<blockquote>
Grug'Ak: Tupid elbies!
Grug'Ak: Uu clomp CHIEF!
Brisid Celemegil: Why have you come here?
Grug'Ak: Uu kum Furt! Clomp beeg Mojo Cheef! Tak Mojo Mask!
Grug'Ak: Gib mazk bakh!
Brisid Celemegil: When did we supposedly take this mask?
Grug'Ak: Nub loong, urk walke heare den
Grug'Ak: Yub, gib mazk, urk gug'ye
Brisid Celemegil: The runebook hunt? Gal, do you know anything about their mask?
Grug'Ak: Elbies n hummies clomp! Mudj mojo!
Galethien Elvade: Ahh...
Grug'Ak: Clomp CHIEF!
Galethien Elvade: I have the helm.
Grug'Ak: yub gib helm, ore urk gib mojo on tupid elbies n humies
Galethien Elvade: If I give it to you, will you leave?
Grug'Ak: Urk calh Darke Humies, Darke Ladee! MUDJ MOJO!
Galethien Elvade: There it is. *hands it to Grug'Ak*
Grug'Ak: Nub, this nub mazk. NUB!
Galethien Elvade: All I had is that helm.
Grug'Ak: NUB! MOJO MAZK!
Galethien Elvade: We did not take a mask.
Brisid Celemegil: That helm is all you're getting.
Grug'Ak: Tupid Humies n Elbies, clomp Glug'Bak!
Grug'Ak: Klomp CHIEF! Uu tupid! Lusk'r geth uu!
Brisid Celemegil: I would advise that you leave, before you lose more of your little army.
Grug'Ak: Us nub gib mazk, urk kum bakh!
Brisid Celemegil: We'll be waiting for you then.
Grug'Ak: Tupid Elbies! Kum URK!
*the orcs leave Tel'Ruid*
</blockquote>

Tel'Mithrim Council believes that the "Dark Humies" Grug referred to are the either the Minions of Minax, or the ShadowLords. The forces that attacked us are but a sample of what Minax's army can throw at the world and at us, as many of the Elves saw in Moonglow just a short time past. Now, by some circumstance, Tel'Ruid has come under her sight.

Over the past few years, we have grown increasingly isolated from the rest of the world. We believed that if we paid no mind to the world, then it would leave us our peace. If that was true before, it is no longer. The battles are not isolated to such shores distant as Moonglow's. No matter how much we may hate it, war has returned to our lands.

We fled from Minax's wrath once, when moving to Trammel. Our determination and resilience have helped us make a new, better Tel'Ruid, yet the loss of the original Tel'Ruid brings sad memories. We fought courageously that time, and we can do so again. But this time will be different: we shall not lose again.

<center>. o O o .</center>

OOC: To all that participated in this event, on behalf of Tel'Mithrim and Tel'Ruid, you have our thanks! It was a wonderful event. The combination of PC and NPC urks gave us a lot of flexibility that neither alone could have supplied ("synergy", heh heh). As far as I know, it couldn't have been much more successful, and it validates the ideas of the Alternates. I hope you had fun also, even though we slaughtered you! *wink*

--Brisid Celemegil
Nikerym en'Tel'Mithrim

G

Tel'Ruid Autumn Festival - A grand night indeed!
From the UOLS &amp; KOA News, by William Auric of KOA:

Hail and well met,

Tonight was a wonderful night at Tel’Ruid, "the Glade," deep in the northern forests of the land. It was a grand affair. The Elf event started at dusk and presented a scavenger hunt, art contest, and a barding competition. The night’s proceedings took place at the Silver Arrow Tavern:

The first event was the scavenger hunt. Team Green took first. The teams had to find all sorts of things through out the land including a clock-work assembly, robe, zoogi fungus, jewels, and a red seed. The green team consisted of Dermont, Singlarad, Eleaie'domeien, Lady Jolea, and Maya. (If I missed anyone, let me know!) There was also a guild team from P^L. They had a great effort and came in 3rd place. After this hunt, many gathered for the art contest. Contestants had to take a bag of random items and make them into art. There were some smashing works; the bulk of the art was of faces or people. In the end, there was a tie for first between Alex and Melindo. Wolf came in third.

After the art contest, everyone began to gather inside the Tavern for the final event - the barding contest. Tel'Ruid has become very well known for this type of competition. Yes, there was a certain electricity in the air. Then it happened.... Out of the celebrating inside the tavern several people near the door motioned for everyone to be quiet. All at once the doors burst open and several horrified men came through yelling at the top of their lungs. Blood curdling screams were coming from the forest. All men at arms made for the door in haste: The Orcs were attacking!

The attacks were small at first. After the scene that the people outside were making, it was a wonder that there were so few attackers. No one saw the small army through the thicket of trees; no one expected this at such a peaceful place. But it came, we made with battle and war.

The battle lasted well into the night with heavy deaths on both sides. The fighting was fierce, make no mistake. In the end, Human and Elf were able to fend off this raid. This would not dampen the spirits of those present; in fact, it gave us more reason to celebrate! After the dead were healed and loot collected, everyone headed back into the Tavern for the rest of the festivities. The barding contest was fantastic, for lack of a better term. High scores were given to everyone of the contestants. It was a tough decision for the judges indeed. In the end, a winner was declared - it was Bethel the Witch! There was a tie for second between Violence and Galethien. After all of the official events, the festivities continued as all bards in attendance continued to sing to the masses.

That's all for tonight. The events were great and fun was had by all. It was definitely a memorable night in Tel'Ruid!

"Quel Undome"

William Auric
Knights of the Alliance

Brytt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Here were my favorite quotes from the evening:
<blockquote><hr>

Humie Leader: We are going to sneak up on the Elves as they are getting ready for the bardic contest.
Rughmuk: Nu'zleb here be too week fer mask!
Ogharod: Hrk hrk
Snog: *looks around*
Nu'zleb: ne globuurz
Ogharod: Jam tupid music down throats!
Humie Leader: They have invaded into our Fort, the Yew Fort, and killed our Chief...
Snog: We no sneak good
Talanithus: Glub'Ab
Bub Grog: Dub nab nice!
Zigzug: *grunts*
Xugor: Clomp time!
Ogharod: Fark dem!
Xugor: Clomp time!
Humie Leader: They also took his sacred mask, given to us by the wargod
Snog: CLomp!
Ogharod: !
Snog: CLomp!
Ash'nak: Dem elbs die!
Gruul: Day gettin clomped fer dat!
Cugnuk: Hoooowah!
Bub Grog: Dub! Clomp! Clomp!
gromatug: Elbie blud fur wargod!
Dan'Gar: Gromatug!
Golag'gut: Den me eet dur flowurz!
Nu'zleb: Globuurz shara-hai
Humie Leader: We want the [sacred mask] back!
Cugnuk: Vinganz fur duh bludgud!
Dan'Gar: ju nu warboss!
Bub Grog: *raises fist and howls*
Snog: Okee
Ash'nak: *scratches head*
Humie Leader: WHen I give the word, we will attack
Ash'nak: Wat mask look like?
Rughmuk: *looks to Dan'Gar*
gromatug: Grom warboz?
Ash'nak: *hic*
Snog: Wut wurd?

<hr></blockquote>
<blockquote><hr>

*A dark, masked stranger approaches the orcish band*
Ogharod: *puts his face right up in the shadow's hood*
Ogharod: WHO YOU!
Jenny: I am Jenny of the Seat of Covetous.
Gruul: Dis right?
Ogharod: *snorts*
Ogharod: Smell funny.
gromatug: We Urk! We Klump!
Bub Grog: Dab humies sit all dub time! Har har.
Jenny: Thats because I am a demon!
Gruab'lak: Agh! Roog blak grabalagh.
Ash'nak: Gib shinies!
Ogharod: Wut you want say?
Nu'zleb: tuupids! ova heer
Jenny: Hold it!
Jenny: I was asked to find to which council the loyalty of the orcs belong to..
Jenny: Whether it is the Council of Dread or the Council of Sin...
Ash'nak: Orc loyal me!
gromatug: Urks lung to urks!
Rughmuk: *belches*
Ash'nak: Hur?
Rughmuk: Urks belung to Gruumsh!
Bub Grog: *scratches behind ear*
gromatug: Urks is Urks is urkses
Nu'zleb: Lub
Ash'nak: *chews on the tree*
Jenny: *sighs*
Ash'nak: Lat gib shoes!
Jenny: Okay lets try this again...

<hr></blockquote>

Truly, a wonderful event--I had a great time getting clomped by da toopid elbies! If you haven't already signed up for the Alternates and you think there's still a place in this ol' Britannia for this RP stuff, SIGN UP!!

C

Chinalilly

How you knew who to attack is beyond me. I got there expecting to see "orange" players, and all I saw were "green" and "blue" ones. I was completely confused about that. Green = guildmembers, blue=no attack in Trammel.

I tried so hard to get someone in my party or game chat to answer me and clear up the confusion, but no one did /php-bin/shared/images/icons/frown.gif. So I just stood on the sidelines doing nothing, and let people kill me /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif After being rez killed 3 times, I just left and logged out.

Tal finally told me in a return email that we were guilded to the Elves stone because of Trammel rules for warring guilds (IE: blue healers). I wasn't aware of that part, which is why I was confused.

Oh well, maybe the next one will be better, now that I understand the concept /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif

J

Jhaelyrr

OOC: To all that participated in this event, on behalf of Tel'Mithrim and Tel'Ruid, you have our thanks! It was a wonderful event. The combination of PC and NPC urks gave us a lot of flexibility that neither alone could have supplied ("synergy", heh heh). As far as I know, it couldn't have been much more successful, and it validates the ideas of the Alternates. I hope you had fun also, even though we slaughtered you! *wink*
Hoowah!
Ash'nak clomp futh elbs! Onee fall down dub! Har har! Futh to dub! Me klump toopid elbs gud!

-----------------------------
Was mucho fun :) Although, the reason I did take a couple down may have been because my orc was the rarest there...he had some skill development, heh

G

Yes, we made a few mistakes, as is bound to happen the first time you do something new. Here are the one's off the top of my head:

1. We should have shown all the players a MAP of where we were going. As soon as we left, half the group kept going WAY beyond our destination, so our initial "advance" only had about half our force. Less impressive then it could of been. If we had shown a UO Radar map showing our route and attack points, I think we would not have faced that delay.

2. I should have explained that we were "Same Guild" warred, for blue healing.

3. I dont think we are going to allow the "good guys" to use Pets anymore. Come on now, we're newbs! Do you REALLY need a Dragon to kill us? *chuckles*

4. Expecting the Elves NOT to attack on first sight was probably a little naive, in hindsight. Even though we did tell them not to. *chuckles* I think, for Tram events, that it might be a good idea to use a "blue speaker" who is effectively invulnerable, so that we sort of FORCE the other side to not kill us and let the RP go through. It worked out in the end for us, after the massive waves calmed down we were able to play through... but I think we can prepare better.

5. Preperation took a long time. Perhaps too long. I think I am going to setup resources on all the Alt guildhouses and try and organize "depot days", where players come and get guilded on all their characters and get "gear", from armor and weaponry, some training gold, skill jewelry, town runes, and so on. Of course, first we have to COLLECT all this stuff on various shards as well. Once we move to our permanent (website) home I'll do a shard call, asking for donators for typical orc, savage, mage, and townsfolk gear. Weaponry, armor, etc. Then we'll arrange a time to meet on each shard and pass it out to our newb alts. From there, those willing to train them on their own can do so, and we'll provide contacts on each shard to "experienced players" who reside there for further support.

6. After tonight, I am totally sold on us making semi-permanent characters in the various "obvious" classes. As I see them, we can use 4 slots for an:

- Orc (with Ork Kin Masks, we can use the spawns as extra fire power)
- Savage (with savage paint, we can do the same)
- Undead (even BUYING necromancy will give us enough points to transform into wraiths/banshees/morlochs)
- Multi-Purpose Human (Pirate, Bandit, Mage, etc.)
- Open slot for specific roles.

Now I don't expect all of us to have the time to train up 4 new characters, but we can at least provide their standard gear for them ahead of time, so that all we have to do is show up and get gated!

7. Quest Coordinator Duties should be delgated further. I think I took on too much doing the equipping, gating, plot description, and running the main speaker. In the future, I'd like to see us ask for delegation of the responsibilities.

8. We were probably too close with our setup point to the deployment area. A more remote location, and gating the troops in at the last minute, would be a better choice. Less "casual traffic" that is RP breaking.

9. We need designating ressing areas. By mistake res killing is bad! hehe... though I don't think anyone really got their feelings hurt.

Those are my thoughts. Some things I'd like to ask all of you about, though...

- What did you think of using the UO Chat room for coordination and communication? Did it work in giving an OOC channel for questions and direction?
- Were there any "pressure points" that you felt were lacking in this event?
- How do you think, other then my previous list of suggestions, we could have been better prepared?
- Are there any suggestions you have on how to better organize, deploy, and maximise our effectiveness?

Thanks once again, everyone. I was ridiculously pleased with how everything turned out tonight. Let's keep up the good work!

P.S. - I am still waiting to hear back from Stratics on the web site. As soon as I get word from them, one way or ther other, we'll either move there or to the alt.uols.net site I am preparing (not currently available).

C

Chinalilly

<blockquote><hr>

Yes, we made a few mistakes, as is bound to happen the first time you do something new

<hr></blockquote>

Absolutely. This was a trial run really; to see what it would be like, and give us an idea of time frame to get set up and going. Mistakes were expected. That's how we will learn to hone things up.

<blockquote><hr>

I should have explained that we were "Same Guild" warred, for blue healing.

<hr></blockquote>

Ummm, yeah/php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif

<blockquote><hr>

I dont think we are going to allow the "good guys" to use Pets anymore.

<hr></blockquote>

No kidding. Talk about over-kill. Besides, the idea is to role play, not pull and "OSI" and use a bomb where a fly swatter could do the job (IE: Publish 16 Bard changes /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif). The faster they kill us off, the faster the even is over with, and the shorter the fun for everyone.

<blockquote><hr>

4. Expecting the Elves NOT to attack on first sight was probably a little naive, in hindsight. Even though we did tell them not to. *chuckles* I think, for Tram events, that it might be a good idea to use a "blue speaker" who is effectively invulnerable, so that we sort of FORCE the other side to not kill us and let the RP go through. It worked out in the end for us, after the massive waves calmed down we were able to play through... but I think we can prepare better.

<hr></blockquote>

Having some Blues on our side acting as healers wouldn't be such a bad idea either.

<blockquote><hr>

5. Preperation took a long time. Perhaps too long. I think I am going to setup resources on all the Alt guildhouses and try and organize "depot days", where players come and get guilded on all their characters and get "gear", from armor and weaponry, some training gold, skill jewelry, town runes, and so on. Of course, first we have to COLLECT all this stuff on various shards as well. Once we move to our permanent (website) home I'll do a shard call, asking for donators for typical orc, savage, mage, and townsfolk gear. Weaponry, armor, etc. Then we'll arrange a time to meet on each shard and pass it out to our newb alts. From there, those willing to train them on their own can do so, and we'll provide contacts on each shard to "experienced players" who reside there for further support.

<hr></blockquote>

Yes, preparation was way too long. Over an hour. We lost a few participants in that time because of the long delay.

I'm not all that well equipped on Catskills anymore having changed shards earlier this year. But I do have a small house and guildstone. The only characters on my stones are mine currently, so as long as people don't mind being on a stone for "The Amazons of Naiades", I have no problem adding people to my stones on Catskills and Atlantic.

I have a GM smith/miner on Catskills, and I could go out mining ingots for chainmail armor, but I don't really have the place to store armor as the house is almost at full capacity lockdowns (small tower). But I can certainly help craft it and if there is someone with a house that has more storage, it can be kept there.

Again, the same situation on Atlantic. I have more room on Atlantic, but not nearly enough to keep dozens of pieces of armor in secures.

<blockquote><hr>

6. After tonight, I am totally sold on us making semi-permanent characters in the various "obvious" classes. As I see them, we can use 4 slots for an:

- Orc (with Ork Kin Masks, we can use the spawns as extra fire power)
- Savage (with savage paint, we can do the same)
- Undead (even BUYING necromancy will give us enough points to transform into wraiths/banshees/morlochs)
- Multi-Purpose Human (Pirate, Bandit, Mage, etc.)
- Open slot for specific roles.

Now I don't expect all of us to have the time to train up 4 new characters, but we can at least provide their standard gear for them ahead of time, so that all we have to do is show up and get gated!

<hr></blockquote>

I know I don't have enough time to work up more characters, and I really don't have the desire to work up more skills either. I'm burnt out from skill building actually. But I don't mind being a weak newblette/php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

<blockquote><hr>

7. Quest Coordinator Duties should be delgated further. I think I took on too much doing the equipping, gating, plot description, and running the main speaker. In the future, I'd like to see us ask for delegation of the responsibilities.

<hr></blockquote>

It is alot of responsibility for one person, absolutely. I'm amazed that you took it upon yourself to do all that yourself.

I don't mind helping to co-ordinate. I work shiftwork though, so once a month, for 8 of 14 days (including a weekend), I'm working evenings until 11:30pm, so it's entirely possible that I won't be available for some events /php-bin/shared/images/icons/frown.gif

<blockquote><hr>

8. We were probably too close with our setup point to the deployment area. A more remote location, and gating the troops in at the last minute, would be a better choice. Less "casual traffic" that is RP breaking.

<hr></blockquote>

Close.... far... really made no difference. Gating works well from either distance /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

<blockquote><hr>

9. We need designating ressing areas. By mistake res killing is bad! hehe... though I don't think anyone really got their feelings hurt.

<hr></blockquote>

Yeah, we needed a designated healing area. And as I said earlier, some blue healers on our side wouldn't have hurt either.

And yes, rez killing is a bad, bad, bad thing, and it happened to me 3 times /php-bin/shared/images/icons/frown.gif. I wasn't even doing anything. I was in the game chat trying to find out what was going on and who we were supposed to be attacking because all I saw was a sea of green....guildmates. And each time I saw monochrome, followed by a rez, and after I got my stuff, I tried the chat again, only to see monochrome less than a minute later.

Nah no hurt feelings, just frustration and I was left with the sense of having wasted my time. I mean I spent more than an hour waiting to get going while everyone gathered and got outfitted. And that was ok...sort of. I would have liked it to have been less time. I'm not one for sitting still in game that long without doing something like working a skill or hunting. Then to go to the location only to stand there for less than 10 minutes without a clue as to what to do, and no one answering my repeated questions. It all added up to frustration and I finally just left and logged out.

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but the experience didn't meet up with my expectations. I think a huge part of it was the fact that I wasn't aware that we were guilded to the stone of the players we were to attack, and the frustration of not being able to get the answers to clear up the confusion.

But today was the first run, and like you said, mistakes were made and lessons learned. The next time and the one after that, can only get better as we learn what works and what doesn't.

<blockquote><hr>

- What did you think of using the UO Chat room for coordination and communication? Did it work in giving an OOC channel for questions and direction?

<hr></blockquote>

I hate the in game chat. The window closes when you die, and when you rez, you have to find the room again. It sucks. Not to mention that it obliterates a portion of your game window, even if made smaller.

As far as communicating with it? It worked great while at your house while we were getting equipped. But it didn't work in the heat of battle. I asked in chat several times who we were supposed to be attacking, and no one answered me....and while the window was up, I was killed. Plus, after typing in the chat window, your UO window isn't the active window and you have to click on it before you can do anything like type in game or pick something up. I much prefer party chat.

Speaking of party chat. I would have liked to have been in parties larger than 3. I don't understand the rationalle for having limited the number to 3 players to party. Had there been more, maybe I could have gotten the answer to my question and actually participated instead of just being rez killed repeatedly /php-bin/shared/images/icons/frown.gif

A party of 10, or a party of 3, it doesn't make a difference in the amount of lag. As for health bars, even with 3, on my screen, they were coming and going as players moved around the area. So again, 3 or 10, really wouldn't have made a difference, except perhaps to be able to communicate with more of our group.

<blockquote><hr>

Were there any "pressure points" that you felt were lacking in this event?

<hr></blockquote>

I don't understand what you mean by "pressure points"?

I already suggested that we should have some blue healers on our side. That we should have a designated healing area. That we should have more players in party chat to maximize contact with each other. And I think we should scrap the game chat as it certainly didn't work, at least in my opinion it didn't.

<blockquote><hr>

How do you think, other then my previous list of suggestions, we could have been better prepared? Are there any suggestions you have on how to better organize, deploy, and maximise our effectiveness?

<hr></blockquote>

Yes, don't gate, guild and outfit the day of the event. It takes far too long!

Start guilding and outfitting players earlier. Maybe set aside 1 hour to do that, a week in advance, and then a few days before the event, do it again for those that couldn't make it the first time. This would free up the day of the event to give instructions on what to do, and make the pre-event preparation for that day smoother and less time consuming.

After guilding and outfitting, have the player log at a specific Inn. Having all players logged at the same Inn, would eliminate the need for yo-yo gating. On the day of the event, they login and everyone is in one location. We can allow for a window of tardiness of maybe 15 mintues, then everyone present, is gated to the house for instructions.

We spent alot of un-necessary time waiting while you gated and shuttled people around. By getting the prep work done in advance and having everyone logged at the same place, there would be 2 gates; from the Inn to the house, and from the house to the location.

<font color=blue>Another idea would be to divide up into teams (IE: blue team; red team; green team; yellow team etc.). The game chat might actually be of use if we did this; kind of a command center. Maybe the party leaders could be Blue/unguilded, so they aren't attacked. These players (Generals) would be responsible for co-ordinating their "team".

The "Generals" could be in both the in game party with their team, as well as the game chat. The game chat would serve as a "command centre", and Tal and the "Generals" could be watching the event, and planning strategic moves, which the "Generals" would then feed to their troops via party system. (IE: Blue team: Circle around to the back of the building. Yellow team: Move north....etc.). There would be no need for the other players to be in the game chat as they would be communicating with their "General" via game party system.

It's hard in the middle of chaos to be paying attention to what's going on around you, what is being said in a party, as well as trying to keep up with a game chat window. Not all of us are good at multi tasking.

By keeping the Team Leaders blue, they are more able to focus on the event and assist those who are in the middle of it, which leaves those in the middle of it, able to focus on the goings on around them a little bit better.</font color=blue>

While I didn't really have fun at this event, it's not a lost cause, and like anything worthwhile, it will take some time to get the kinks out, and future events can only be better.

I look forward to the next one. Practice does make perfect..so maybe next time I'll actually get a chance to participate because I know what to expect now...sort of /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

<font color=blue>EDITED: To add the blue content</font color=blue>

M

meru of europa

The rp bit was bloody good fun /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif.

The gankage a little less, it was a tad difficult to stay alive on a new character :p. Dragons at home next time please? The archer was perfectly capable of dropping us in a couple of hits without /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif.

I'll happily make characters for these events, but I dont' really have time to train them, hell, the only reason I could make an event in this timezone was it being the weekend :p.

More please /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif.

D

Dandi

I would be willing to help you out on Catskills for storage. I have a relatively empty 18x18 that could be used. I'd also be able to split the smithing duties with you, too.

D

Dandi

I enjoyed it.

<blockquote><hr>

<hr></blockquote>

The UO Chat was only really good for locating the group. Wasn't very convienent. IRC would probably be better.

<blockquote><hr>

- Were there any "pressure points" that you felt were lacking in this event?

<hr></blockquote>

The event was pretty cut and dry. It had everything it needed. 1) A sizeable gathering, 2) A smattering of orcs.

<blockquote><hr>

- How do you think, other then my previous list of suggestions, we could have been better prepared?

<hr></blockquote>

Having a prep date prior to the event has already been mentioned, but I would also like to have practice runs. Meeting once or twice prior to the event so we can learn our characters, gain some skills, and learn a little teamwork.

<blockquote><hr>

- Are there any suggestions you have on how to better organize, deploy, and maximise our effectiveness?

<hr></blockquote>

I don't think the small party chat was the way to go. I understand the reasoning behind it, but I don't think it works too well in practice. Getting a message board and maybe an IRC channel going would probably also help in finding the managerial and material resources you need.

The only other comment I have really doesn't pertain to this event, but to The Alternates as a whole. An orc raid is an orc raid, and I can appreciate it for what it is, but looking at the list of other alts you are recommending as high priority doesn't look too exciting to me. I don't mind doing the raid party thing, but I would hate to see the potential for doing new and refreshing stuff lost on us just being sterotypical costumed pvp pawns.

I mean orcs, undead, and pirates are a dime a dozen. What about gypsies, misguided mercenaries (real mercenaries, not the guilds that just like saying the word), hapless villagers intent on slaying "the dragon", wandering minstrel troupe putting on plays, caravan parties, a brotherhood of monks, tavern regulars and employees, a public trial, a gathering of mystical llama herders, a haughty noble's ball, farmer's market, and beatnik poetry readings in a tavern basement?

All in all, I enjoyed myself and look forward to the next one.

- "Golag'gut"

I

imported_Cyrah

It looks like all of you guys had great fun!

Where did the real orcs/ettins come from?

D

Dandi

<blockquote><hr>

Where did the real orcs/ettins come from?

<hr></blockquote>

Secret secret

I

imported_Cyrah

A secret? Really. My first thought was player mages polymorphed. I had hoped for another way.

I hope your reply was not intended to be mean. I have had enough of that.

I

imported_Cyrah

Cannot be players. The corpses are still orcs.

So what could it have been? Special assistance? It was that long ago with the first Elves. Spawn appearing out of nowhere. (old lands)

I really do not know what to think of all this. I see tremendous planning and players having great fun but... at this point I will refrain from saying what I am secretly thinking. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/frown.gif

C

Chinalilly

I sent you an email because Stratic's PM system was acting up and given me a data base error each time I tried to send my PM to you.

C

Chinalilly

<blockquote><hr>

So what could it have been? Special assistance? It was that long ago with the first Elves. Spawn appearing out of nowhere. (old lands)

I really do not know what to think of all this. I see tremendous planning and players having great fun but... at this point I will refrain from saying what I am secretly thinking.

<hr></blockquote>

You know, what does it really matter? I don't know where the Orcs came from. Heck, I didn't even see NPC Orcs there actually, but I'll take your word for it that they were there only because someone above mentioned it.

As for your implications, I ask you again. What does it matter? You are suggesting "special assistance", and because players can't spawn things, that would leave "GM's" and "EM's". I doubt very much that it was what you are "secretly thinking". And even if it were, why would that be a bad thing to have "special assistance" in the spawning of a half dozen Orcs to assist a group of cross shard players who have come together to form a group of people giving of their time in order to try and help make the game a more fun and worthwhile experience for players across all shards? This isn't a group exclusive to LS. We area group that can be sought out by players on ANY shard who is planning a player event and needing support players for roles or to help organize things.

Yesterday wasn't all fun and games for everyone. Most of us just showed up and got stuff and bashed players. But there were others who spent time planning and gathering, and organizing. Tal is going out of his way here to organize this group of mishappen players into something formidable that can plan, organize and pull off a player run events on any shard that we are requested to help on. It requires alot of time and committment from everyone involved.

The game provides us with all the tools needed in order to pull off events such as last night without "special assistance". Ever heard of "war mode" double click and lure off spawn? It's possible to lure spawn to various areas of the map. It's possible, and it takes time to do it too, but it's done. And it's also part of the requirement for some player run events.

I don't know if you know Soar, he ran Questmasters on Atlantic. He and his group of questmaster player-helpers were responsible for some very great player run quests, some involving large amounts of monster spawns, and they did it all without "special assistance" from the Gods of this game. As for their secrets and how they pulled it off? Well, if they advertised that, it would take the mystery out of the events that they are pulling off for the players, now wouldn't it?

You were obviously not involved in the planning or organizing of this event, and all you are doing is going by your assumptions here. I ask that you please stop trying to plant the seeds of doubt and tarnish the image that this group is trying to build for itself.

I

imported_Cyrah

My goodness. You see so much in my words.

I asked a question and the only response I got was "secrets".
The poster could have said that one word via pm. Not here.

I do not understand why your reply seems to be so angry towards me.

I ask you to please refrain from adding your personal interpretations of my words to this thread.

C

Chinalilly

<blockquote><hr>

What about gypsies, misguided mercenaries (real mercenaries, not the guilds that just like saying the word), hapless villagers intent on slaying "the dragon", wandering minstrel troupe putting on plays, caravan parties, a brotherhood of monks, tavern regulars and employees, a public trial, a gathering of mystical llama herders, a haughty noble's ball, farmer's market, and beatnik poetry readings in a tavern basement?

<hr></blockquote>

Thank you for bringing that up. I thought of that myself and wanted to touch on that, but it was like 5am and I was tired and forgot.

I agree. I would hate for this group to be labeled as "extra spawn".

Most of us are playing newbie characters at these events and have pretty low stats and skills of any kind. Kind of easy targets and not very formidable to those with well developed characters, or pets!

If all the events we do involved "raids", participants will lose interest. I would like to see more role playing parts for those who don't wish to, or are unable to for whatever reason, do PvP.

I know that on Atlantic, Questmasters wrote out a general overview "motion picture-type script" for each side (IE: if 2 guilds involved), and assigned roles to various players in the quester group. These roles could be anything from role played characters that were sought out to provide instructions to the next location or character.....to players assigned to gather up large numbers of spawn into a concentrated area...... to hiding in a dungeon waiting for the climax to happen and a strategically timed dropping of the ultimate item that was being sought. Some could be guilded, others left blue so the are 'invulnerable' to players. <font color=blue>The climax of the quest would be the coming together of the 2 groups of players in a heavy monster spawn area, to do a PvP battle to get the "artifact".</font color=blue>

I am hoping that we will see ourselves in such roles instead of just being used as "extra" spawn. I think it would be cool to play something like a "mystical gypsy" telling stories, or being all creepy and saying some fancy magic phrase, and then vanishing only to appear 20 steps in a different direction and then continue the speal. Or pretending to be insulted and polymorphing into a demon to threaten your foes while continuing to tell your wild tale to get them on their way. Or playing a talking slime, or the damned player who has been forced to live out the rest of his life as a &lt;insert polymorph animal here&gt;.

Gosh, I'm excited about this entire concept again /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

Edited to add the <font color=blue>content</font color=blue>

G

<blockquote><hr>

The UO Chat was only really good for locating the group. Wasn't very convienent. IRC would probably be better.

<hr></blockquote>Well, the problem is toggling back and forth between IRC. I am working on the beta-test for an IRC-UO hybrid client, that tags into UO via UO Assist to allow you to send and receive messages from an IRC room in UO with a party like interface. It works fine now, though it still needs some spit and polish, but I am hesitant asking our members to use a program that is not UO Pro (even if the chance of us ever having action taken against us for a text feeder is releatively non-existant).

Are there any other suggestions on how to handle the OOC chat aspects?

<blockquote><hr>

Having a prep date prior to the event has already been mentioned, but I would also like to have practice runs. Meeting once or twice prior to the event so we can learn our characters, gain some skills, and learn a little teamwork.

<hr></blockquote>
Well as for practice runs, I expect that we'll build up relatively good skills working on the various shards running events of a similar type. I have no problems with doing practice runs, but I also don't want to enforce a practice session for EACH event EACH time. People have lives, and I don't want to be a ridiculous strain on their assets.

<blockquote><hr>

The only other comment I have really doesn't pertain to this event, but to The Alternates as a whole. An orc raid is an orc raid, and I can appreciate it for what it is, but looking at the list of other alts you are recommending as high priority doesn't look too exciting to me. I don't mind doing the raid party thing, but I would hate to see the potential for doing new and refreshing stuff lost on us just being sterotypical costumed pvp pawns.

I mean orcs, undead, and pirates are a dime a dozen. What about gypsies, misguided mercenaries (real mercenaries, not the guilds that just like saying the word), hapless villagers intent on slaying "the dragon", wandering minstrel troupe putting on plays, caravan parties, a brotherhood of monks, tavern regulars and employees, a public trial, a gathering of mystical llama herders, a haughty noble's ball, farmer's market, and beatnik poetry readings in a tavern basement?

<hr></blockquote>

Well, all of those are just as interesting. Heck, I RP Elves, Miners, Crazy Beggars, Children, Noblemen, Street Thugs and more, and I didn't list that in our "standard set" of characters. The intent was to create and equip a set of characters that are "multi-purpose", allowing us to completely skip the prep process for those characters... not to mention have a few more "advanced" skill sets from previous training in the group. Options 1 - 3 (Orc, Savage, Undead) are pretty generic, though it would be possible to re-use the savage character for other purposes as well. But even more important, they allow us to provide a DEFINTE physical impression of being these other "races". With Orc Gear and masks, we can use the spawns around us to our advantage. With some ridgebacks and savage kin paint, we can do that same there as well. With Necromancy, we can literally become various undead creatures. As generic as they are, right now they are most POWERFULL visual impression, so I don't think we should ignore them. Of course, if OSI just made the mage polymorph work like Necromancy, it would expand those options exponentially, but that is a subject for another thread so feel free to go there and discuss it (and vote for it). Option 4 (generic human) could be used for all your suggestions and more, and we would STILL have the 5th slot open for whatever that event called us to use it for.

I think my real intent is to provide us with a way to skip the "equipment" and "gathering" process. If we can provide standard gear, and runebooks for those capable of travel on their own, we'll be providing a way for ALT members to get there on their own. Not to mention characters capable of exploring the new shards and visiting the establishments there as well. I can't count the number of nifty ideas I have "borrowed" from other shards due to my own travels. People continually astound me, both in their creativity as well as their stupidity, and it helps if you can learn lessons from the trials of others without going through the hardships yourself! If, as a side effect of particpation in ALT, we are providing the means for ALT members to take a shard hop for the evening to check out an interesting poetry night on Sonoma, all the better!

C

Chinalilly

This will be my last reply to you in this thread about this because I don't wish it to be taken off topic with arguments /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

<blockquote><hr>

My goodness. You see so much in my words.

<hr></blockquote>

Your words were selective, but they more than implied that there was help from OSI to pull off the Orc spawn without knowing if this was the case or not (and hinted about the old Seer days). I still say What does it matter if OSI did do what you suggest? If they did, then it shows that they are interested in players banding together in groups such as this in order to make the shards and game a better place for everyone.

<blockquote><hr>

I do not understand why your reply seems to be so angry towards me.

<hr></blockquote>

No one is angry at you. If that was the impression you got from my post, then I apologize, for it was not my intent to convey that impression.

Anyway, enjoy your day. I have a date with a vacuum cleaner and sink full of dishes.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Poster: Cyrah
Subject: Re: The First ALT Event - LS Orc Invasion

Cannot be players. The corpses are still orcs.

I really do not know what to think of all this. I see tremendous planning and players having great fun but... at this point I will refrain from saying what I am secretly thinking.

<hr></blockquote>
I can only guess that an EM was attending the Festival, and decided to liven up the event. It does make sense, when taken into the full view, as we WERE playing orcs attacking Sosarian establishments... and even mentioned Minax bringing down her wrath if the Elves didnt give us the "mojo mazk". Perhaps the EM saw the RP, liked what they saw, and decided to give it a boost. Regardless, I was delighted they decided to step in and give it a boost, and I hope that it is a sign of many good things to come from the EM program.

I

imported_Hazard

I thought it was an incredible experience. I dropped by as a ghost hours later to hear what some of those at the tavern had to say. Apparently those on the other side had a great time as well as they were still discussing orc attacks.

Anyway, the confusion was minor and really didn't detract from the main goal, which was making sure most had a good time. Also, as the previous news item said, I could feel an electricity in the air, and from what I saw it lasted far after the event ended. The initial attack on me was unexpected, but ... I was playing an orc... should have expected the unexpected.

I would love to do something like this again, with an orc, a gypsy, a caravan team, or whatnot (even though I have to leave work early on a Friday). The template you proposed is a good one as it allows for the more popular spur of the moment spawn/visually enhanced characters, and then the extra slots for your gypsies, troubadiers, oracles, and the like.

Great first event imo. btw--Uo Chat is a nice tool but maybe a little confusing in the situation we were in.

R

Rimlock

I have no idea what's taken me so long to reply and become a part of the Alternates, but you can sign me up now! It seems very, very promising, and I can't wait.

R

Rimlock

Bloody old signature. Forgot I've still had that for .. too long. Heh.

G

ok, we have another gig (and possibly two more on the horizon). We need ~ 10 pirates for Catskills, THIS Saturday (10/11/03)10pm EST. Can I get a quick show of hands on who might be able to make it? Send me an email at [email protected] with the title Catskills Pirates. I'll post tomorrow with full details.

And for those who use IRC... we have a perm room on irc.stratics.com at #TheAlternates. Drop on by!

G

If you have an experienced Tamer, please respond here with the following details:

Shard - Taming Level (GM, etc)

I expect we'll be using Tamers a lot in future quests.