• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Alternates - An RPing Temp Agency

G

SECOND Project Status Update HERE.

Project Status Update HERE.

The new Event Moderators are bringing something back into the game that has long been missing. Dynamic events. But the responsibility is not theirs alone in this matter, and as efforts like the Trinsic Invasion currently being planned on LS attest, there IS something we can do about this. However, planning events and quests is very difficult work, and it is common to see a high degree of burn out in event coordinators as they attempt to bring all the pieces of the puzzle together. I have experienced this first hand, and instead of burying my fellow community leaders in small bit parts for my quests, I took to recruiting players from others shard using the irc.stratics.com network. For me, this worked wonderfully, as I could pull together a good group of players, outfit them with whatever gear and background information they needed, and concentrate on actually running the main characters. With their help, I was able to populate entire towns with “player” townsfolk, field rival orc bands for pvp events, and more. But as I read of some of the player’s from other shards who are making characters to participate in the LS Trinsic Invasion, my mind questions… why couldn’t we make this a tactic that everyone could use? So here is my idea to do exactly that…

<center>
</center>
:: Introduction ::

The goal is to create a loose organization of players from EVERY shard who are willing to help play bit characters, townsfolk, quest characters, fortune tellers, pirates, orcs, savages, whatever is needed. Our main purpose is not to be a Seer like organization, actually running events on all the shards, but rather an enabler for existing organizations to field large groups of players for their own events. In short, I see it as a RolePlaying/Event Temp Service. You need bodies? We have bodies.

:: How it Works ::

Members in the Alternates generally do not provide backup for their own shards. Instead, they use their open character slots on OTHER shards to create characters as needed for specific events and quests. If a member has open slots on their own shard, then they are welcome to use them as well, but out goal is to make full use of our empty character slots by solidifying a group of players cross shard to work together for everyone’s benefit. Members of the Alternates can certainly make use of the resources for their own shard as well, and in fact we expect that MOST potential members will make use of the program from both sides. They will provide support for other’s quests just as they are running their own.

Nobody is on a schedule, but if you RSVP to participate in an event we would certainly appreciate if you showed up to do so. We will be building specific tools to send reminders of events you have signed up for, so most of this should be relatively simple.

Almost any type of player could be useful in something like this, from Rpers, PvMers, PvPers, even Crafters. There is no telling what type of events or quests we might get called for, so having a rich and diverse background would be very helpful. I would expect that we will likely see most of our calls seperate into two categories:

1. RPing characters.
2. Bad/Good Guy Canon Fodder.

Since all of these characters are basically newbies, it isn't like we would give much of a fight. For some of you dedicated PvPers, you might look at it as an interesting challenge. Can my newbie Warrior kill someone else? *chuckles*

:: Joining the Alternates ::

Joining, for now, is just a concept. If the idea is favorably received and we get about 50 people who are willing to sign on (which we will gauge by replies to this thread), then I will make a set of forums specially for the Alternates on their own web site. To join, you would simply register an account on the forums and fill in your contact information. ICQ, Yahoo, AIM, MSN, email, etc. With that information, we will be able to send out reminder notices for upcoming events, as well as having an internal calendar for staff use to show what we are doing, where, and who is needed. All in all, it is a relatively simplistic production.

Each shard will have an Alternates stone, for use in Trammel/Malas oriented PvP conflicts. Wars will be declared on this stone ONLY for the night of the event, so as to prevent misunderstandings. I am not really certain how much threat a guild of newbie characters would be to anyone anyways, but better safe then sorry! *chuckles*

:: Using the Alternates ::

To use the alternates, all you would need is an idea, equipment for our people, and means to provide transportation to the event. Bringing us home afterwards is not needed unless you plan to run multiple events with the same bit characters. You would write up a post on our forums with the necessary information, provide your contact info, and we’d get back to you with what we can help with. It would be that simple.

When a player on shard ____ has a need for some actors from our group, they post on our forum requesting them. They are responsible for providing us with armor, clothing, weaponry, transportation, and scripts (if there are any). If they need people to play specific roles, then they request those as well. For example:
<blockquote><hr>

Sample Alternate Request Post:
We are hosting a guild event on Pacific, Monday, September 08, 2003, at 9pm PST. We need help with a number of roles.

1. Orc Chieftan with lines.
2. Two Orc Lords, with lines.
3. About 10 Orc warriors.
4. One Royal Guard for Lord British (with lines).

PvP is part of the quest, and we plan to kill everyone. We will meet with the Alternates at the Haven Bank and provide gates to our staging area at 8 to 8:30pm PST, where we will equip you and provide you with specific details. For the speaking roles, we can provide your lines ahead of time, if you need them. Email me at [email protected].

Please make all names Orc like, for example “Kaug’ub” and such. If you have any other questions, contact me at [email protected].

<hr></blockquote> From there, members of the Alternates would reply with RSVP’s for the event, show up at the appropriate time, and have some fun doing it!

:: Expanding the Concept ::

This sort of program could easily be extended to HOSTING events and quests on other shards, as well as facilitating them. For now, I am focusing on the enabling aspect, as I feel it would be an easier “Stage 1” operation, but it is entirely likely that we might push the extent of our focus to actively running our own quest &amp; story lines. We’ll see what the future holds.

:: Conclusion ::

And that’s the idea. If you like it, and are willing to dedicate some of your open slots on other shards, please reply to the thread so we can see exactly how much interest there really is. If you have quests or events that could use this sort of aid, feel free to reply with that as well. That is just as important to us.

One last thing, this is still a relatively new concept, and I do not pretend to think it is completely polished. There are bound to be issues that need to be addressed, and as we find them, we will. But it is a good starting point… so let’s get started!

D

Dor of Sonoma

*whips out pen*

Where do I sign up? /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

J

Just Because

MEE! I wanna join the Alternates!

I have many characters on all shards that are fun to roleplay. Granted, they're all humble little things without any real skill, but that's what makes them fun.

G

ready willing able

open slots on everything but pacific and siege

T

Tadriendra

We have three accounts so I'm sure we can also help out as well. One account I am sure is very open on most shards except LS/Sonoma/Siege. The other two have Char's, but most except Siege/LS/Sonoma and couple lone wolfs like Ria on Chessy (GM Warrior) are newbie for xshard trading. So can delete and make new as needed on most shards.

C

CitizenKane2

A pretty neat idea. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

I would be interested in helping out in any way that I can

K

Kolian

You can count me in, /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

"KolianGlub: No, kill me not!"

You are dead.

"KolianGlub: HEY! I -said- kill me NOT!"

G

I have offered to help out on events on other shards on several occasions, but have never ben taken up on it. If you are serious tho, so am I.

J

jat

*Dips quill into the ink* *signs with a flourish* Count me in!

N

NTESLA

As much as I hate the EM program this sounds like a good idea and fun. 2 cheers.

G

Grom_Lighthammer

Great Idea!

I am willing to add my newbie service as cannon fodder! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

Unless its on Lake Superior then it would be my Vet services for cannon fodder! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

Grom of LS!

C

Chinalilly

I haven't been in game for several weeks, and in that time I've lost the desire to even log in.

However, I've been helping Dennar with his events on LS for a couple years now, and will be helping him out on the Trinsic Invasion and whatever other events he does.

I love your concept. I've had the opportunity to play roles in some player created quests/events, and I have to say it was the most fun I can remember having in UO.

For purposes such as this, I can see my way to logging in. I can create characters on all shards.

G

Sounds like a great idea, Tal, hope you get it off the ground, and I'd be happy to participate in it if you do.

I

imported_Queen Mum

This would be a great way for my "little chicken" players to venture out into the unknown /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif
Sign me in, please.

A

Ancalagon

An absolutely fantastic idea Talanithus! I would love to be part of the Alternates, any excuse to RP and take part in an event with new people is more than welcome.

Maybe kicking things off with a well publicised event produced closely with another guild would prove what the Alternates can achieve - draw in some interest from other guilds on the shard (and possibly others). I think its really important that players know how easy it is (or will be) to get event support from the Alternates and that they find the group approachable for whatever their needs might be.

If there's anything I can do to help get things up and running then I'll do all I can! I can't wait to see what can be done /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

M

meru of europa

I often loose track of posts on the big boards like this.

But, this project, yes, definitely /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif.

It's always a painr ecruiting characters for quests, and always fun being one /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

T

Thodin

Damn fine idea /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif
Would be a lot of fun, too /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

G

Sign me up ^_^

*chuckles* We wont mention I have 10 developed RP chars on OCeania and Great Lakes and two on LS *giggles and runs*

V

Vipralion

WOW!!! This sounds like the UO Events council on my home shard of Atlantic. I'd be glad to join this as long as there was also an Alternates focused on Atlantic as well as the other shards. This is one great and well thought out idea!!! WOW!!!

I'M IN FOR SURE!!!

G

Tal told me to post here as he is using this thread to track the general response to his idea and the number of people interested. So, my friend, add me to the list.

L

Lady Malynn

Awesome idea, Tal. I'm not a very creative person as far as rp is concerned. But, count me in! Maybe you can give me a non-talking, bit part. On the other hand, it's really really hard for me not to talk. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

DerekL

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

I'd be glad to join this as long as there was also an Alternates focused on Atlantic as well as the other shards.

<hr></blockquote>It's quite plain from reading the proposal that the Alternates are not focused on *any* shard, but are rather a resource for the event creators of various shards to call on. If Atlantic does not call on us, not much we can do.

M

mariona

This sounds very interesting......... I have tried to do something like this...*participate that is*... and it was fun.. not sure i want to be pvp fodder all the time tho *winks*

G

That's a really wonderful idea! It sounds like loads of fun =D. I'd happily get involved with something of that sort.

M

Maggie V Stweart

Ye can count me in as well. I have several slots open to use

W

Walker of LS

Excellent idea!!! This is very exciting and I would love to participate!! Please, please, please count me in and thanks very much for the well thought out concept. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

H

hiai

Brilliant! What little RL time I have for this is yours to command!

G

Well, it looks like response is overwhelming positive. Just one day and we have over half my desired "response" votes, so I am proceeding with the development aspect. To keep you all up to date, here are my plans so far:

I spoke with Stratics and asked them if they would be willing to host this project. They have a full plate right now, and are not sure if they can handle something new, but they are looking into it. Personally, I feel that doing it locally here would be the best bet for us to achieve multi-shard access (even if it does make it harder for me... hehe).

However, just in case they say no, I have already begun developing it's own website. If they say yes, I'll use it for something else (there is no end to the projects I have floating around). We should know in a few days, either if we are going to do it here on Stratics or on it's own site.

On the shard front, I have a placed Alternate guild stone on the following shards, at my personal homes (which are conveniently located in the same place in Yew Trammel, near the Justice Shrine, on each shard... so I don't get lost. hehe):

* Atlantic
* Lake Superior
* Baja
* Great Lakes
* Pacific
* Chesapeake
* Napa Valley

For PvP inclusive events, this will be a neccesity for Trammel/Malas fighting. Which means we will need some people to volunteer to hold the stone on the shards I do NOT have houses on... which are as follows:

* Sonoma
* Catskills
* Europa
* Drachenfells
* Oceania
* Siege Perilous

If you have a house on of these shards in a NEWBIE safe area, and are willing to either run the shard's ALT stone or let me do it from your place, please contact me at [email protected] so we can discuss the matter in detail.

From there, I'd like to do a few "get to know each other" events to get US familiar with each other. Mainly, orc/savage raids on a few shard settlements who are willing to join in on the fun, and perhaps a quest or two I already have scripts for. Nothing that will require more then an hour or two, but will get us comfortable with the routine of shard hopping, setup, and working together.

To everyone following this thread, please make sure you mark it as a Favorite (it's at the top left of the first post). That way you can be sure you don't miss something important. Once we decide one way or another on where we will be hosted, I will also PM everyone who has responded to give them detailed instructions.

That's it. It's coming together folks, it will not be long now!

E

Embercant

I hope Stratics can host this, it's a great thing for all kinds of player additions to the game.

Lets have a bar hopping event in Brit too /php-bin/shared/images/icons/pint.gif
And a running of the bulls /php-bin/shared/images/icons/disturbed.gif

T

Takissis

I am available for all shards except Catskills. Count me in.

H

hesiod

I think this is an excellent idea. I'd volunteer. I don't really have anything to add to it, since it has been so well thought out already. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

K

Kurzert

Great idea. Can't wait to get started. Thanks for posting on this and getting others involved. It's things like these that can get people involved and bring up alot of fun in UO.

G

This is a very interesting and good idea.

I would also like to join up as long as it does not conflict with my guild's and my personal RPing.

S

Shadowcards

Hurry up and get set up. I need to hire you folks..

The Shadowplayer

Z

Zanazaz

Sounds like a great idea! I'm willing to participate, most slots on all shards except Great Lakes are available. I can create new characters for short or long running scenarios, orcs, pirates, whatever...

N

NapaLady

Count my husband and I both in /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif