• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Taming Greater dragon help

L

Lady Kiara

This will be my first time trying to tame a greater dragon....(gulp)

what does your taming have to be for one...
and how difficult is it to tame.

is there any pointers as to taming one?

thanks

G

The only thing I can say is that my friend invokes honor before taming one and it works for her. I don't know her skills or anything else, but it keeps the dragon off her butt for a little bit!

G

I beat them down til they are redlined, then I invoke honor, and tame them.

If you are on Atlantic, shoot me an im/pm and I'll help you get one.

G

Nope, I've peace-tamed the ones I've caught. But I die occasionally too.

I believe someone did some research on test and discovered you need 104.7 taming to attempt it. (if my memory is right)

C

Connor_Graham

Thanks, that's good to know. I keep Honor built up on my Tamer for just this type of taming. I made a small fortune selling Reptalons shortly after they came out by just walking in, honoring myself, and taming one real fast. The trick was getting on it and running out before the rest of them targeted the freshly tamed one.

G

From what I've noticed inside the Rift, my brave little ostard will immediately follow me and allow me to ride even if a whole gang of baddies are after him. I'm guessing this is apart of the Pet AI changes.

I was always worried before when taming aggressive creatures that my new companion would be overtaken immediately and be too involved in the 'heat of battle' to hear me.

G

<blockquote><hr>

is there any pointers as to taming one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bring friends. Having a friend(s) to heal/res and keep its hps low is very helpful.

DrDolittle

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Like Petra Fyde said, 104.7 is the minimum but don’t count on that being an easy sell. I have only tamed them with my Legendary tamer and, from what I have seen of other’s attempts, I would not even bother to try at less that 110 and even that is not a happy time.

You don’t have to beat them down but if you do they will probably be out of mana and their fire breath will do much less damage. So, if you can, whacking them around a bit first can make the process easier (i.e. less chance of oOoOoOoOoooOOo).

Target peace - even at 120 music, 120 peace and a slayer instrument - usually takes many tries to stick and even then does not last long. If you can get them discorded first that helps a bit with the target peace but hardly enough to make it worth the trouble. The best tactic seems to be to beat the critter down and then have a couple of bards spaming area peace and healing/invising the tamer.

If you have very high taming, second tier honor will probably buy you enough time to get fell beastie to listen to reason. But if you have lower taming you will probably not be so lucky, failing the taming attempts while honor is in effect, and have to wait another five minutes to honor again. If you have lower taming you are probably going to burn through a lot of failed attempts so honor is not the best overall tactic for a tamer with lower skill.

Oh, and wear a suit with good resists; at least maximum physical and fire.

I

imported_Lord GOD(GOD)

I'd recomend you put on a mage weapon -0 and as much dci as you can without dropping 70 phys/fire, 100 lrc, 2/6.

Without it it's the dragons wrestle 120-145 versus your 20 from jack of all trades (if your human) or 0 if your elf.

If you've got people to help you having them invis you everytime the dragon even thnks about attacking also helps.

J

JoyousGard

Friends help... especially for invis heal and rez. If I have a friend it is all good, I couldn't give a damn about anything and I just die die die, but ultimately I get it.

1.) Solo, I lure to "near Water Elly Lake" and beat down with my hiryu. BEat it down to as low as I can stomach.

2.) Recall out and stable. Recall back to "near Water Elly Lake"

3.) Put on Virtue Suit (stinks for mana regen, but is the best I got for resist)

4.) Precast Invis... Run to drag... Invis!

5.) Spam tame macro.... If too angry, run and invis... Repeat. (no point taking damage if you haven't even started the tame yet)

6.) Tame starts. Walk away, invis. Invis. Invis. Too much damage, or failed attempt... run away and invis... Repeat.

I have found invis to be more important than heal while solo taming.

G

I usually solo tame them without beatdowns, peace, honor, etc, just lead taming. I wear a suit with 2/6 Casting, 70/70/58/70/75 Resists and 45% DCI with Swords of Prosperity to make up for no Wrest. I carry a bag with 150 of each Reg in it. The Tamer/Mage i use for taming them has Real 120.0 Taming/120.0 Lore/GM Vet/GM Magery/GM Eval/GM Med/80.0 Resist.

When taming i just spam a Last Skill/Last Target macro while walking a few steps ahead of them. When they hit me with spells i just use Mini Heals, UOA's Target Self really helps with that (I set my Target Self macro as moving the Mouse Wheel up). When i see the Great Wyrm start to breathe fire, i ready a Greater Heal, and when it hits i target myself. Only time i die when solo taming them is when i get unlucky with a combo of their's, like Firebreath+Teleport+Bite, or i get more than one on me. When i have someone else healing me too, i almost never die.

G

Again another post with too much useless information.

Legenday Arcanist, level 2 focus. Ethy Voyage and tame.

G

While I admit there are easier ways to do it, if you're up to the challenge, with thought, patience and care it is possible to solo tame these with targeted peace.

My char has 120 tame/vet/lore/peace 115 music. I've only tamed 4 of them, 1 for me, 3 for friends.

She wore a dull copper mage armour suit crafted with a bronze hammer. It gave her 70 resist in physical and fire.

'easy' isn't always as much fun as 'difficult'

G

I'm not sure what you found wrong in that post... there are numerous ways of taming a greater dragon.

To the OP:

I've tamed on full health with simple lead taming, and also beaten down a drag then just walked up to it and tamed it too. Some are more stubborn than others, but you can tame very successfully with basic techniques and skills.

Wear good armour
Daemon temple on fire isle is my favourite spot - easy to pull out a dragon to a quiet spot
Eat an orange petal before you start
Carry pots to chug as you go
Another player casting heals can be useful, but isn't essential
Casting invis on yourself as soon as you start a tame attempt can break the dragon's targetting, so he forgets about you briefly. Often I'll cast a heal right after the invis.
Confusion pots are another option if you don't have honor or peace

Beat the dragon down if you want, ideally ask a friend to come in with a greater and beat it down to a sliver of health.

I'd get my skill as high as possible, 110 at a bare minimum. I've managed good on 115, so if you can't afford a +20 scroll, that's always an option.

Good luck

Wenchy

E

eolsunder1

The only problem with hurting the dragon before taming is that the lower the dragons hp's, the more it teleports. So if your trying to lead tame, your going to have a hard time with the dragon instantly jumping on you and biting your head off.

I suggest with honoring yourself, do it while the dragon has full hps, its not going to attack you anyway. If your lead taming, maybe you have to decide how fast its damaging you and compare that to lower hps when its going to teleport on top of you.

G

I've not had the teleporting problem, but I leave a wee bit of blue on the bar usually, to leave time to recall out with the attacking pet. I've had a few accidents that way before
As long as they're half health or below really. I keep meaning to work honor, but never remember to, so I just do plain old lead taming

Often I'll just go for it with full health critters and a straight lead time, I just find the greaters can deal that extra damage and necessitate the beating up. Good fun though.

Wenchy

L

Lazarus Cain

my girl peaces them for me
otherwise they 'jump' on you like a bullfrog running for cover!
i have been told honor works, but you have 1 shot at it with honor and then you have wasted a dot that takes 20000000 million monsters to replace!
hehe
ok i am exaggerating but hey
it may as well be 200000000000000000000000000000 trillion
so i dont bother with honor
its just too hard to replace

they dont stop teleporting on you if they arent peaced
so i recommend a peacer to help
but a peacer/provo/disco/mage is the sh&amp;t for assisting with greaters!

i tried them alone many times and have died about 200k in gold
as a tamer from since taming was a skill, its not possible to tame them with no honor or no peacer
unless you just flat out get lucky on the 1st try
even then you would have to tame it on the 1st try without angering it
and that aint hap'n beyond maybe 2% of the time!

hope this helps

L

Lazarus Cain

i can see how this would work but it would take too long to bother
one misstep means death
i guess some might enjoy dying 20 times b4 the tame
aint hap'n here
i'll use a peacer every time
screw spending 2 hours to tame a pet!

C

Connor_Graham

"but you have 1 shot at it with honor "

Nah, if your Honor is high enough, it lasts long enough for at least 2 attempts, if not 3 or 4.

G

Well, we all play with our templates of choice and techniques we like. My tamer bards don't use peace so I do straight lead taming with all my tamers. It doesn't take me 2 hours to tame anything, nor 20 deaths
You just need to practice lead taming.

Wenchy

G

I go with my friends... one to beat it down and keep it's attention... one to cast Greater Heal and Invis..... and I use my tamer 120 taming, lore, vet, peacing and music,...... I found peacing doesn't last very long at all so really isn't very usefull except for the quick escape..... Confusion blast potions held ALOT.... Use a bunch of those.

L

Lady Kiara

Ok I tamed one useing honor System....I was sweating the whole time but non the less heres what i got....

Hits-971
Stamina- 55
Mana- 565
Strength- 608
Dexterity- 610
Intelligence- 565

Phys-69%
Fire- 72%
Cold- 51%
poison- 58%
energy- 73%

Wres- 93.3
tactics- 90.6
resist- 84.9
anatomy- 24.2
Magery- 116.1
eval,intl- 47.8
meditation- 70.0

...some say thats a good one but the Great dragon still to new to compare. No ones knows the cap on any of the skills i seen one with 127.3 wrest 122.1 tatctics so i am hoping to train....some people are telling me that each one you tame had a set cap?

I

imported_Lord GOD(GOD)

Maximum tamed stats:

700 str, 1000 hp
125 dex, 125 stam
650 int, 650 mana (not 100% on if this is the max for int/mana but this is the most I've seen so far)

Maximum resists:

85/90/60/60/75 (370 total)

Maximum skills:

Wrestle (before taming): 145
Tactics (before taming): 140
Resist (before taming): 140
Magery (before taming): 140

Anatomy, Meditation &amp; Eval are low-50ish before taming.

When you tame Wrestle, Tactics &amp; Resist take 27% or 28% loss but can be trained back up to as if they only lost 10%. Magery takes a 10% loss and stays there. This means the maximum trained skills are:

Wrestle: 130.5
Tactics: 126
Resist: 126
Magery: 126

Anatomy, Meditation &amp; Eval only go up to 100.

This means to get a dragon with over 130 wrestle and 120 in the other skills you would need to tame one that had 144.5 &amp; 133.3 respectively before taming.

Unless you make a note of what it's skills are before taming the only way to see what it'll be is to train it.

L

Lady Kiara

Thanks so much for that info

By the way can that info be found some where?

Thanks...

I

imported_Lord GOD(GOD)

Yes it can.

Usually the most up to date information is in the profession forums.

From uo stratics front page it's 2 links bellow where you click on general forums.

G

"Again another post with too much useless information."
Aka, too much information for your little pea-sized brain to hold.

"Legenday Arcanist, level 2 focus. Ethy Voyage and tame."
Hehe, you can only use that every once in awhile, and if you fail to succeed at taming it before you go out of Ethereal Form, knowing you, you're lunch.

With my experience, skill and technique, i tame circles around you.

G

"as a tamer from since taming was a skill, its not possible to tame them with no honor or no peacer"

Wrong. It's very possible to tame Great Wyrms without assistance, beatdown, peacing, honor, etc. I consistently Lead Tame them, often times taming them faster than groups of people with Peacers/Healers. I GMed Taming off of White Wolves shortly before The Second Age came out in 1998. Back in the day, if you beatdown or para'd a animal/monster, it would lost stats/skills (Peacing wasn't used in Taming back then, because Peace was practically worthless, was no target peacing, it was basically just area peace, which monsters could instantly go aggro again). Most tamers didn't care, but those of us who wanted the best of the best, we did, so we Lead Tamed EVERYTHING. Through several years of practice, some of us have Mastered the art of Lead Taming. I mastered Lead Taming LONG ago.

When taming Great Wyrms, being an experienced Mage comes in handy as well, for timing heals/cures and getting them off quickly.

G

Ok, all you great tamers out there
, would someone be so kind to explain to a beginner what "lead taming" exactly means?

I know it means to basically walk one or two steps in front of the critter and try to tame it but:

if you get the "you seem to anger the beast" message, do you have to invis before your next try? Or can you just try again right away?
What about the "the animal is to angry to continue..." (or something like this) message when you hit it? Invis or just keep going?

Very last newbie question if you don´t mind:
How does paralyze really work while taming? I thought I simply para the animal and start taming while it is frozen. Tried this today on cu sidhes, but funny enough they don´t stand still at all after being hit by the spell, they come after me right away. What am I doing wrong here?

Thank you very much,

Robinson of Europa

G

Lead Taming is staying a few steps ahead of the creature, staying far enough out of it's melee range, but within the taming range. It's an art form because you have to get down "the rythm" and keep in step, like dancing.

You can immediately attempt to tame if you get the "You seem to anger the beast" message. This is where a Last Skill/Last Target Macro comes in very handy. Just hold that down to spam it. When you hit it, or depending on some creatures, if they hit you, it disrupts the tame attempt. Often times you can immediately attempt to tame it, however sometimes a bug happens where it says "Someone else is already taming this creature". To get rid of that, either wait 10 secs or hit the creature again.

You're talking about Para Taming, it's generally a form of Taming used by less than experienced Tamers. How long the Paralysis lasts is dependant upon the caster's Eval INT and the victim's Resist skill. It also drops the pets skills even further upon succesful tame. Alot of Tamers die with Para Taming because 1 second the creature is standing there letting them tame, the next second it's right next to them chomping on them.

Can't even begin to count the times i've seen a Tamer with a Boomstick (I call it Doomstick because of this reason) Para Taming and all of a sudden they drop dead when the Paralyze wears off and the Cu Sidhe bites them. Some of them are even wearing LRC suits instead of Resist Suits.

G

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation!!!

The only thing I don´t get is:
I heard about the skill loss from para taming so I thought I will only use it (if it works that is) to tame cu sidhes I want to get rid of (have them die to have another one spawn).

But with my GM magery and GM Eval Int the cu did not even stop for a split second. I cast the spell and it starts to move in my direction right away. I have seen anothere player (I guy with a boomstick btw) who casts it and a "glittering" graphic surrounds the cu while he stands still, never works for me though. Hmmmm....

Nevertheless thanks again!

Robinson of Europa

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
<blockquote><hr>

Again another post with too much useless information.

Legenday Arcanist, level 2 focus. Ethy Voyage and tame.

[/ QUOTE ]
As opposed to an arrogant, insulting post with absolutely no useful information for anyone that would actually require advice...

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
<blockquote><hr>

My tamer bards don't use peace so I do straight lead taming with all my tamers. It doesn't take me 2 hours to tame anything, nor 20 deaths
You just need to practice lead taming.

Wenchy

[/ QUOTE ]
Lead taming is similar to playing a mage in pvp. It takes a certain kind of skill, timing, experience, and a decent connection. There is a reason why I don't play a mage in pvp, or do a ton of lead taming. Other tactics require skill as well, but they require different kinds of skill that are more accessible to people without great reflexes, hand-eye coordination, or a ping to the server under 100.

G

When time is a factor, I'll honor tame - Otherwise, I lead tame (usually with pots, petals &amp; well timed invis-spells). As bizarre as it may very well sound to some, I actually enjoy the challenge. *shrugs*

I prefer to keep spellweaving on my non-taming bard (as often on discord/WoD duties at champ spawns as she is my para cu exterminator) because veterinary skill with high magery/eval for mage heal back up is usually sufficient for my few hunting/training needs.

Strangely, I find reds aren't generally accomodating enough to stand still &amp; quit casting on my tamers long enough for me to squeeze off a WoD or two on them.

I

imported_Fran Fury

I finally tamed my first greater dragon. He has pretty good resists 84/80/55/60/71 and I was happy that his magery was 119.9 after tame.
My problem (well the dragons problem lol) is that his HP are only 660. I have seen so many with 800+ yet mine (I was given one as well) seem to get stuck with 600ish. Is there a way to raise the hp on them? Will it even matter? 660 is still a lot of hp for pvm only isn't it?

G

<blockquote><hr>

Lead taming is similar to playing a mage in pvp. It takes a certain kind of skill, timing, experience, and a decent connection. There is a reason why I don't play a mage in pvp, or do a ton of lead taming. Other tactics require skill as well, but they require different kinds of skill that are more accessible to people without great reflexes, hand-eye coordination, or a ping to the server under 100.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're forgetting I was on dialup for over 7 yrs with my tamer
28k taming has it's challenges, I'm very well aware of them heh. I just don't want folks thinking peace and honour are bare minimums to tame a greater drag when my girls don't use either, and do ok.

Wenchy

L

Lazarus Cain

guess i'm just not good enuf at lead-taming these
i've been a tamer since they made tamers and have lead-tamed almost everything tamable but i just cant do these
all 70's and still they slap me dead repeatedly cuz they teleport on me relentlessly if they arent peaced
so 3 hits and i am dead with not even a remote chance of healing thru it
i swear they jump on me like mad!
could this be a problem with my account ya think?
i am utterly stumped how ppl are doin it
*sigh*

L

Lazarus Cain

those resists will make up for its lack of hps
i have a few with over 900 hps but only 1 has high resists
i have one with 780 hps and almost maxed resists and it can kill circles around my other 900+ greaters
you drag's magery is very nice too
which will help alot
hope this helps

L

Lazarus Cain

i wish i knew your secret cuz every time i have tried without honor or peacing, i die over and over cuz they teleport on me so much
i am a lead-tamer 1st and foremost yet i cant seem to do these
i'm starting to wonder if my account or my char might be bugged

they dont teleport on you instead of walking?
cuz they dont walk towards me about 90% of the time
they teleport! and i mean they teleport as if they are running a race!!
even over a screen away, i end up with the thing all over me
and after 3 hits i am dead
i try to heal thru it with max spell speed but it does me no good
i wear an all 70's suit as well o course
i'm lost as to how you are doing it

G

Hrm, I've not had a draggy do the serial teleport on me yet. Kitsune yes, but not a drag. How much health are you leaving on them when you beat them down? I usually leave a bit of blue because I'm recalling out with my tank pet. I've had a few heal up to half health while I was taming and they haven't started teleporting on me at any time. So I'm guessing it's more a problem on very low health. Otherwise I'm not sure why I've been so lucky this far.

Wenchy

G

actually, first step is to find one you want...

what i do is lead all the other things out of the demon temple except the greater dragon that spawns there, then it is just you and him, then you tame just any, and use it to kill them off till you find one you like. then you go stable thta one, and tame the one you like with one of the above tactics

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Your dragon will do very well, but if you are prepared to put some time and effort into it, you can do quite a bit better I think. I'm with whoever it was that posted about the demon temple on Fire Island. That is my favourite place to farm them.

I take my hiryu, lead off all the other spawn that is in the way, then precast invis, run up, cast invis, lore it, and if I don't like it, I lead it to the front of the temple and kill it. It takes a bit of vetting (well actually a ton of vetting...), but I can kill them fairly quickly, and then I get the pleasure of looting them because I lead them off a bit. I always farm them on the Felucca side, so that is 60 barbed hides each, and 14 scales, which is a nice bonus.

It took me two weeks of pretty steady farming (several hours a day) to find one that really made me happy, but to be honest, that was a lot faster than I expected find a good one. I've been surprised by how many truly exceptional dragons I have seen, so it can be done, and it can be done without spending the two years it took me to find an amazing cu sidhe, or rune beetle.

I'd have to say that it is easier to find an exceptional greater dragon than it is to find either of those, which really strikes me as odd, given the stat ranges on them, yet more proof that stats are generated in odd ways on mobs. It is almost as if if they have one or two stats that are exceptional, they'll have a much better chance of having other stats that are exceptional as well.

However, that could just be the rng, because we all know that the rng tends to function in streaks.

G

Oh, I've had a serial teleporter or two! In fact, one named Satsuma is easily my fave greater draggie.

She loves a fair few teleports in rapid succession (two to as many as four teleports is not uncommon) and she appears to do it especially when her prey is low on hit points.

Nasty girl; I love her to bits!

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Taming that first greater dragon on TC was a blast wasn't it Nico?

G

That was one of the better buzzes I've had in UO, Llewen! I think Al Thorin still has Gramps lol!

I

imported_EnigmaMaitreya

Speaking of TC ....

When I got on there tonight and went to Destard to recycle some GD's, I encounterd a ... well ... Mutant GD, is the best way I can state it.

First thing he 1 hit killed me 3 times in a row. He resisted piecemaking perhaps 30+ times. *Shrug* didnt really stress me to much. I hid and lored and he was low 800 version ... hum

BUT

What was down right wrong was when he started to fly faster than I could run on my ethy. I mean literally I ran around and he was flying and staying 2 steps behind me. I thought maybe something was up so In hit the hide hotkey, hid and he never even stopped. I ran by my 2nd character and he hit me with an invis. The GD paused a heart beat, 2 at the most, never revealed me and just one hit killed me.

I brought in a Hyrue to beat him down ... bad choice he 3 hit that Hyrue and it was dead. Then hit me once and I was dead. (He had to teleport to me).

Well I re did lore and yup that thing looked like a regular low 800 to me.

I went and got Wimp (a 786HP GD that came out of the box with most resists in the 90's, wrestling in the low 100's, and the other (sans Anatomy) high 80's to high 90's. Magery at 125. Aside from the lower HP's he is a real killer.

On with the story. I sicked him on the GD to beat him down. Oh nearly a very bad mistake. It took both Characters Veting Wimp to keep him alive. I went through 600+ Bandaids between both characters before that GD was Red Lined.

I pulled Wimp off and out and went to try to tame. Nah no chance 3 straight 1 Hit kills and (by the way he was 30% health before I could get back (recall to stable, stable, recall back oh at most 1 minute). He was at 100% health before the 4th peace attempt.

So I went a resupplied my Bandages, brought Wimp in and a New 915HP GD in sicked both on him and the fight still lasted 5 minutes and 400+ Bandaids.

Went looking for another and picked up a high 700 and ... Same thing. I didnt waste any of my time just brought both back in and killed every GD in Destard I could find. After that I never saw another one of those ... SUPER Great Dragons.

K

Karthcove

<blockquote><hr>

Maximum tamed stats:

650 int, 650 mana (not 100% on if this is the max for int/mana but this is the most I've seen so far)

Maximum resists:

85/90/60/60/75 (370 total)

[/ QUOTE ]

I have one with 653 mana/int and I'm pretty sure these are the max resists;
85/90/55/60/75