• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Taming Greater dragon help

G

*grins* what a great name too hehehe.

Only serial teleporter I had was a kitsune, though she was handful enough :p I love pets with attitude, wouldn't sell my feisty wee hellkitten for anything

Wenchy

G

RTLFC

I am trying to figure something out here. And wanted to see if someone can find an error in my math.

My wifes dragon had a Wrestling Skill of 100.4 after it was tamed. Now, going in reverse order through the formula, that would put the original skill at ~137.6 (100.4 / .73), and would make the Dragons max wrestling skill ~123.8 (90% of 137.6).

Problem is, the Dragons wrestling is 124.8 and still climbing.....

Am I doing something wrong?

G

If the post tame wrestling is 100.4 you multiply that by 1.25 to get 125.5 as a max for wrestling.

<blockquote><hr>

RTLFC

I am trying to figure something out here. And wanted to see if someone can find an error in my math.

My wifes dragon had a Wrestling Skill of 100.4 after it was tamed. Now, going in reverse order through the formula, that would put the original skill at ~137.6 (100.4 / .73), and would make the Dragons max wrestling skill ~123.8 (90% of 137.6).

Problem is, the Dragons wrestling is 124.8 and still climbing.....

Am I doing something wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

G

Can repeatidly solo tame these on test without music or beating it down to nothing. I just run in and lead tame them. Might have to run off after a breath though and hide/heal.

On my normal server, my guild helped me do it, and they did it with 2 people.

Set up for my test tamer is 65-70 all resists, 70 fire is needed. Max hp/hp regen armor the more of this the better it seems. I think mine was at 12 or 15. Also have some dci thrown in.

Skills- 120 taming/lore/vet/resist spells/magery 100 - hiding

The key here is really the taming/lore and the resist spells. You can easily do it with 100 magery. The hiding is just a benefit when you take a breath.

The key is staying ahead of them. On TC with a 250ish ping, I can easily tame them. They're pretty sluggish when in combat, so its not really that hard. I think out of 9 tames in about an hour and a half I died twice partly due to lag, and partly due to their breath/teleport/smash you combo. lol

I was working on building my tamer into this build, but decided after recieving a GD that it would be easier to just redline them and I could spend my skill points in resist magic/hiding in other skills.

L

Lazarus Cain

they have done it to me at dif stages of health
dunno if its the drag itself cuz i only bother with really good ones
in fact its always been a drag with very high resists and skills
in the short time so far i have found 3 of them besides the one i tamed (which was assisted with peacing) and each of those i eventually gave up on after from 1 - almost 3 hours of trying
they wouldnt tame even if they didnt jump on me!
it was 90/10 as far as that goes
90 jumper
10 not
so every now and then i would get a complete attempt off and fail
120 taming/lore
very strange stuff ...as if the drag is bugged
i didnt have a peacer with me any of those times either
usually i was alone
guess i'll go experiment some more cuz using a peacer is def NOT how i would rather do it

L

Lazarus Cain

Llewen is right Fran
considering the extreme range of resists and skills these things have, i may never stop looking for a better one til i hit the max on everything! heh
i read someplace that it is techinically possible to find one
so call me dumb and dumber but i'm goin for that "1 in a million shot"
muahaha!!
:p

L

Lazarus Cain

Yes!!
you are giving me a headache with all that math!
*grins*

L

Lazarus Cain

what taming tactics did you use for that one milady, if i may ask?

G

In which case I guess honor is handy for just in case if I go tame another set of draggies heh. I've apparently been very lucky so far then

The better ones do put up a much stronger fight though, the last one I tamed was tough to beat up with another greater, you could really tell it was a strong beast the way it knocked the snot out of the average one lol.

Wenchy

G

I must have been lead taming if the draggie was repeatedly teleporting on my head. *grins*

For lead taming greater drags, I munch an orange petal, bless myself, and wade in expecting to take a bit of a battering even with maxed suit resists &amp; a decent level of magic resist skill. Mostly, I just stay alive long enough to get the tame attempt and then pull off an invis-self to break aggro. Rinse and repeat until the critter can be persuaded to follow me home.

C

Crie

Yesterday was the day i learned how to die

I am a returning player to UO (therfor my 1 post here whooo) and my main char is a tamer/treasure hunter. I have about 101.1 in taming, used a scroll to 110 and using a ring. 110 in lore and 100 in vet.

I went to fire island and walked around outside the walls of the fire pit when i suddenly was jumped by greater dragon. He teleported him self outside the wall.

I tryed to tame him whit the only result was the i just angered him,Of course i died and did so about 5 or 6 times. I recalled to my home and loged out and went to bed. But i couldnt sleep cuz i was thinking of this dragon.
Up again and went to this forum for some advise and then logged in end went back to the dragon.
I died once more but suddenly the dragon just stod there when i walked close to him. I guess he was quite tired of me and i did a succesfull taming attempt.
It was thrilling to go thru the procedure and oddly he was not angry at me.
And to my suprise i managed to tame him.

You have to realize that iam prolly the worst tamer on the shard so it was a big moment for me.
The stats the dragon had after the taming is:
799 HP
58 stamina and dexterity
543 mana
601 strenght
543 intelligence
127.3 magery
90.3 wrestling
84 tactics and 93 resisting spell
Forgot to write up the resistance stats but it was overall between 55-75

So my question is: Is this a good dragon i should keep?

I got exited about the dragon and stabled him and went for another one.
I found one inside the fire pit. I had to walk into the pit, lure out the balrons and open the metal door so the dragon came out. I lured him out in the open area.
And here the hell beguns. To make it short i died about 25-30 times. He one hit killed me many times. I tryed tame this dragon for about 2 1/2 hour and if i made about 200 attempts i only succed into the taming state 2 times but i failed to tame him there.
I read about subduing him so i got my white wyrm from stable and tryed whit that. Only result was that the dragon killed my wyrm in 4-5 blows. I just managed to heal my wyrm 2 times. Worst part is that my wyrm died in the open water/shore line ?? so i couldnt rez him. A tear felt and i had to release my wyrm that i had for over 2 years.

This dragon was just down right impossible to tame. But iam happy that i got a replacer for my long lost friend.

The stats this impossible dragon had was.
1910 HP
120 stamina
564 mana
1260 strenght
120 dex
564 Intell
119.8 magery
134.2 wrestling
126.4 tactics
123.4 resisting spell

Not bad stats so u see why i wanted him

Soz for a long post but i just wanted to share my little story and get some feedback about the dragon i tamed.

Crie af Greygal

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To ress your WW it would have been enough to logoff and logon again. This is how the Autostable feature works - also for pet ghosts.
I had the similar dead experience of dieing over two hours and getting almost only anger messages on the for me laggy Origin some weeks ago - with 115 taming.
*Salute*
Olahorand

C

Crie

Ahh. I wish i knew that before but thanks for the tip. If it happends again i know what to do.

It seams there is more to "luck" than skill if we manage to tame one of thos beasts. The real skill is how to survive hehe

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Crie, this has been said before, but you need to work on your honour virtue. Get yourself a cu sidhe or take your new dragon, and go kill succubus somewhere. Just make sure you honour them before you attack them. Once you've got yourself up to level two honour, you should be all set to try and tame yourself a dragon.

Just be picky though. Keep killing them with your new dragon until you find one that really makes you happy, then go stable your old dragon, come back, honour yourself, and tame the new dragon. There are lots of posts about honour I think, so just do a forums search back a year or two for "honor" and you should find lots of information if you need more.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
<blockquote><hr>

Oh, I've had a serial teleporter or two! In fact, one named Satsuma is easily my fave greater draggie.

She loves a fair few teleports in rapid succession (two to as many as four teleports is not uncommon) and she appears to do it especially when her prey is low on hit points.

Nasty girl; I love her to bits!

[/ QUOTE ]
It's funny, I don't know how it works, or how it is possible, but it really does seem that different pets have different personalities. Even pets that are the same species seem to behave differently. I've noticed this particularly with teleporting, and obedience. Certain pets will teleport more or less often, pets will fail commands more or less often as well. I expect if I was able to keep track of my pets' use of specials, I would notice it there as well.

C

Crie

Thank you for your tip Llewen.

Ive looked into that honour thing and gona give it a go later when my dragon has bonded to me.

About that mulitple teleport thing. It happend to me also whit that impossible dragon i tryed to tame and i noticed he used teleport a lot when he was real low on mana. One time i couldnt outrun him cuz he was just teleporting to my place.

I had just done a lore on him and saw his low mana but he was at full HP.

I

imported_EnigmaMaitreya

<blockquote><hr>

Crie, this has been said before, but you need to work on your honour virtue. Get yourself a cu sidhe or take your new dragon, and go kill succubus somewhere. Just make sure you honour them before you attack them. Once you've got yourself up to level two honour, you should be all set to try and tame yourself a dragon.

[/ QUOTE ]

When posters say Level N of Honor are they meaning Path N of Honor?

OR

Does N Path's = 1 Level of Honor?

G

A bubble or two into Follower works just fine - usually. There are some stubborn dragons who will outlast your honor even at Knight level. The RNG god is particularly fickle. *nod nod*

I

imported_EnigmaMaitreya

<blockquote><hr>

A bubble or two into Follower works just fine - usually. There are some stubborn dragons who will outlast your honor even at Knight level. The RNG god is particularly fickle. *nod nod*

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks without digging into this ..

I read the essay on Raising Honor. He he it seems to have been changed a bit ....

What I get is the Gump that allows me to select the Virtue I want to work on. I click that and I target the Mob I want to fight. I get that.

I click the status button and select the Honor Virtue and it displays a Gump with 10 Bubbles at the Top and as I progress they turn on and when the 10th one illuminates I get the message I have gained(?) a Path and the Honor ICON turns a color.

I am not finding anything (*Looks sheepish* I have not looked very hard either) found anything that relates the Term Level (as in you need to be Level 2 of Honor etc) ti Path.

I assume it is either a one to one relationship or it is Many Path Gains gives a Level Gain.

Ah I think with your prompting I have found what I wanted

UO Virtue Guide

It seems to indicate that a Path in UO context is a Level. Meaning I completed the first step and am now working on the second step (about half way through) and my Hiryu is about maxed out training wise from Killing Ogre Lords.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
<blockquote><hr>

OR

[/ QUOTE ]
When I used the word "level" I was referring to the "path". So level 1 honor would be Seeker, level 2 would be Follower, and level 3 would be Knight. Generally as long as your taming is high enough, the second path will give you enough time to tame a greater dragon, but I would suggest your taming needs to be at least 115 for this to work.

You also want to use this method sparingly, save it for truly special dragons. Every time you honor yourself, you lose a large amount of honour and honour is quite slow to gain back, even with succubus.

<blockquote><hr>

What I get is the Gump that allows me to select the Virtue I want to work on. I click that and I target the Mob I want to fight. I get that.

[/ QUOTE ]
There is an option in your macros to invoke the honour virtue, you want to bind that to a key - this is in the old 2D client. In the new KR client you can just drag the honour icon into a macro slot to create the macro. Binding it to a key will make it much easier to honour your opponents.

If you are playing with the 2D client, you should look into buying UOAssist (just google that). It is fairly simple to create a macro in UOAssist that honours your target, then gives your pet the "kill" command. The fewer keys you have to press, and especially the fewer mouse clicks you have to make, the faster and more proficient you will be. You can also do the same thing with the KR client.

I

imported_EnigmaMaitreya

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

OR

[/ QUOTE ]
When I used the word "level" I was referring to the "path". So level 1 honor would be Seeker, level 2 would be follower, and level 3 would be Knight. Generally as long as your taming is high enough, the second path will give you enough time to tame a greater dragon, but I would suggest your taming needs to be at least 115 for this to work.

You also want to use this method sparingly, save it for truly special dragons. Every time you honor yourself, you lose a large amount of honour and honour is quite slow to gain back, even with succubus.

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
There is an option in your macros to invoke the honour virtue, you want to bind that to a key - this is in the old 2D client. In the new KR client you can just drag the honour icon into a macro slot to create the macro. Binding it to a key will make it much easier to honour your opponents.

If you are playing with the 2D client, you should look into buying UOAssist (just google that). It is fairly simple to create a macro in UOAssist that honours your target, then gives your pet the "kill" command. The fewer keys you have to press, and especially the fewer mouse clicks you have to make, the faster and more proficient you will be. You can also do the same thing with the KR client.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for taking the time to ... simplify this.

The last piece I am not getting out of the documents is they refer to

"Progressing any number of steps in a Virtue will grant a character some special abilities. Players will be able to access these abilities by clicking the related Virtue symbol on their own Virtue gump. For example, double-clicking on the symbol for "Sacrifice" will activate the virtuous ability for Sacrifice."

"Players will be able to access these abilities by clicking the related Virtue symbol on their own Virtue gump."

The above is throwing me. As you indicated I am some what hesitant to ... experiment as I am reluctant to toss away my efforts in Raising Honor.

So far the best guess I have is to Invoke Honor as if I were going to engage a Mob, but instead target myself.

Thanks for the heads up on the Macro, I will do that. I have also been honoring GD's before I kill them (aka recycle them) but mysteriously/magicaly they seem to have a fraction of tjheir health missing and as far as I know no one did anything to them. Fully 80%+ of the GD's have come in this way and of course that makes Honoring them impossible.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
<blockquote><hr>

The last piece I am not getting out of the documents is they refer to

"Progressing any number of steps in a Virtue will grant a character some special abilities. Players will be able to access these abilities by clicking the related Virtue symbol on their own Virtue gump. For example, double-clicking on the symbol for "Sacrifice" will activate the virtuous ability for Sacrifice."

"Players will be able to access these abilities by clicking the related Virtue symbol on their own Virtue gump."

The above is throwing me. As you indicated I am some what hesitant to ... experiment as I am reluctant to toss away my efforts in Raising Honor.

[/ QUOTE ]
You invoke virtues the same way, whether you are gaining or using. To sacrifice you invoke the virtue and target the lich or demon, to rez yourself, you invoke the virtue when you are dead. The same applies for honour. You invoke the virtue and honour your target to gain honour, and you invoke the virtue and target yourself to use it. What it does specifically is prevents anything from attacking you.

However if something is already trying to kill you, invoking honour won't stop it from continuing to try and kill you. It just prevents anything new from becoming aggressive. So you can tame a dragon and it won't attack you. You will get the message that you have angered it, but it won't attack.

<blockquote><hr>

Thanks for the heads up on the Macro, I will do that. I have also been honoring GD's before I kill them (aka recycle them) but mysteriously/magicaly they seem to have a fraction of tjheir health missing and as far as I know no one did anything to them. Fully 80%+ of the GD's have come in this way and of course that makes Honoring them impossible.

[/ QUOTE ]
What has happened is it has blessed itself. If they have any damage indicated at all, you can't honour them. When they bless themselves they gain in their hit cap, but it takes a short while for their hits to catch up. If you have good evaluate intelligence you can curse them, or you can just wait for them to heal. With succubus it takes a while for them to heal, so I curse them, then invis myself, and if they are at full health, honour and attack them, and if they still aren't, it doesn't usually take long for them to heal up to full. I think greater dragons regenerate faster, so you shouldn't have to wait as long for them to be at full health.

What I do when I am honouring my prey, is I use a ridable pet. I precast invis run up, invis, dismount, then use my honour/kill macro. If they have managed to bless themselves, I run off, invis, precast curse, come back, curse them, run off, invis and wait for them to heal, then precast invis, come back, invis, dismount, and use my honour/kill macro.

It helps a great deal to have mount/dismount on a macro as well. You can do this easily with UOAssist by recording macros as you mount and dismount. I don't think this is possible yet with the KR client. I have my mount and dismount macros bound to my left and right scroll on my G5 mouse. It is amazing, I can mount and dismount like lightning, with minimal movement. (If you have a G5 you need to first bind the macros to a key combination, then bind the right and left scroll to those key combinations.)

With UOAssist all I do is set the target for mount to whatever my mount is for the moment. So I can set the same macro to any of my mountable pets, or my ethereal mount if I wish.

G

I had thought that para taming would hurt the pets skill max forever. But as referenced in the last FoF this is not true and it simply takes that much longer to get the skills trained up to max.

From uo.com ( http://guide.uo.com/skill_35.html ) :
Pets will also suffer an additional 4% skill loss if they are paralyzed during the taming process. While this means additional training time to get your pet back up to its full potential, it may be safer for some of the more dangerous creatures.

I'm not recommending para taming on dragons at all!
But it's an option on other tameables.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
<blockquote><hr>

I had thought that para taming would hurt the pets skill max forever. But as referenced in the last FoF this is not true and it simply takes that much longer to get the skills trained up to max.

From uo.com ( http://guide.uo.com/skill_35.html ) :
Pets will also suffer an additional 4% skill loss if they are paralyzed during the taming process. While this means additional training time to get your pet back up to its full potential, it may be safer for some of the more dangerous creatures.

I'm not recommending para taming on dragons at all!
But it's an option on other tameables.

[/ QUOTE ]
If all of the pet's original untamed skills X .9 are less than 100, then para taming doesn't have any effect other than adding a bit to training time. However, for any skill that can be higher than 100 after taming (ie. original untamed skill X .9 is higher than 100) it will permanently affect their skill caps. For skills that can be over 100 the cap for the skill will be the original skill X .9 if it is not para tamed, or the original skill X .86 if it is.

This means that there are only a few that para taming will affect: reptalons, rune beetles, hiryus (lesser and full), fire steeds, and greater dragons. However, greater dragons have such high magic resist that attempting to para tame them would be pointless, even at legendary evaluate intelligence, and even if they wouldn't suffer greater skill loss.

G

I think para taming draggies just p's them off really

I thought I'd be smart when I was taming my first ever draggy years ago... Smart alec just magic arrowed itself, then ate me lol. I never tried it since...

Wenchy

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I can para tame just about anything quite handily (not sure about fire steeds though), except for greater dragons. Greater dragons just laugh at you when you cast para on them...

I learnt how to para tame really well para taming rune beetles. There was a time when instead of killing rune beetles I didn't want to keep, I would para tame them and donate them to the zoo. When I am doing well I can para tame a rune beetle without even moving, even through failed taming attempts.

Back when I started I didn't know that para taming reduced skills over 100 permanently. I was quite annoyed when I figured that out...

Anything with fire breath can be a bit tricky though, because the fire breath breaks the paralysis.

G

*grins* aye, I don't have med on my girls or eval, so I need to really want it before I'll soulstone eval over to Ailsa instead of her herding. That and after my early dragon para attempts I never retried till Nico told me about para taming at cu's :p

Wenchy

G

<blockquote><hr>

*grins* what a great name too hehehe.

Only serial teleporter I had was a kitsune, though she was handful enough :p I love pets with attitude, wouldn't sell my feisty wee hellkitten for anything

Wenchy

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, i have a 7xGM WW named Hades that i tamed within the first week that WWs came out in 1998 with Ultima Online: The Second Age expansion. He's an absolute Berserker, he attacks anything in the area that he can.
I remember taking him outside of Papua a long ass time ago, before bonding, and i got killed by an Efreet. Took me awhile to run to town to get rezzed and come back, i expected him to be dead, but instead there was dead crap EVERYWHERE! Mountains of bodies of Fire Eles, Efreets, Lava Lizards, etc, and there was Hades, still chomping monsters in half and at 3/4 Health.
He would kill Ogre Lord Generals during the Despise Invasion on Brit by himself with just me vetting him, before the General would respawn elsewhere. People were trying out Hiryus and Rune Beetles and would end up with dead pets long before they would kill the General. I've even used him to kill Ancient Wyrms before. Hades won 1st place in Napa's WW Tournament about 2 years ago.
I love the bloodthirsty son of a pancake, and wouldn't trade or sell him for anything.

I got a Long Mane/Pure Nightmare that is almost as old as Hades, named Apollo, and it's a Berserker too. Seems that oldschool pet's are bloodthirsty ****s.

G

You can use pets to get honor? I thought that you had to kill them single handedly to gain honor??

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
<blockquote><hr>

You can use pets to get honor? I thought that you had to kill them single handedly to gain honor??

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes you can use pets to gain honour. Apparently there is a set of conditions for gaining honour, and the number of pets/summons you use, as well as whether you move, or if you had help, are all part of the conditions. From what I have read the more conditions you meet, the more honour you gain, but you can still gain honour if you don't meet all the conditions. I do quite well hunting succubus with my cu sidhe.

I

imported_EnigmaMaitreya

I take my Hiryu (sp, the feathered dragon in SE) to the Ogre Lord Island (or east of the Island). Clear any of the normal Ogre's, then Honor the Ogre Lord send the Pet in, go vet (of course making sure I am not the target). So in essence I am standing near the Ogre Lord. I have been seeing a bubble approximately every 4 to 6 Ogre Lords. I can pretty much just go from one Ogre Lord to the next after the area is cleared of the Ogre's.

In my opinion, the Ogre Lords are pretty good trainers as something is always going up on the Pet after every fight.

What I dont get for them there is Magic Resist.

G

Yep. If your' opponent hits you first, you gain more Honor. If you move around, you gain less Honor. If you use either Poison Status or Poison Element Damage, you gain very little Honor, sometimes none on something that would give you a decent amount of Honor otherwise. Which is why gaining Honor with a Rune Beetle isn't a very good idea.