• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Gardening] Stain Pricing

N

Nikita0143

Re: (Gardening) Stain Pricing

Sorry if I seem mean....

If you don't want to pay the people who have taken their time and money to get their skills up to where they can make these dyes already, by all means take out your time from camping champ spawns where you get items you can sell for millions on a nightly basis... and feel free to go level up your skills for the next month or better. Make your own.

Once you have done all that then please come back here and tell crafters they are trying to rip you off.

Saying that you can't count the fact that they had these skills already before staining became an ability is like telling someone who goes to a champ spawn takes 30 minutes to kill something and gets a 120 powerscroll they sell for 2-18 million that they shouldn't charge that much because they already had the skills to kill that spawn before they went there!

Rant off...

FYI - I can't make the dyes. My cheers to the people with the time and patience who have put in the time and effort to be able to. You deserve to be rewarded financially.

Ommadawn

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

THANKS just sent you a PM :heart:
:)
Disreguard my PM back to you. I've had about all the skill training I can stand for one night. :D I going to head out and see what kind of trouble I can find, but I've locked the rune down on the floor of my vendor room. Stop by anytime. Good hunting.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Anyways, in a few weeks or whenever dye prices should settle down. Whites I'll probably end up doing 50k, blacks and other naturalist colors 25-30, other colors somewhere around there. It just depends. It *is* a pain to have to grow a lot of plants and wait for them to pop and I don't think too many people have that patience, so there will definitely always be a market for dyes, but there will also be competition from the peole who *do* have that patience.

Thats my price guess! 10-50kish non luna, 75-150k luna (eventually).
Sounds good to me, Sarsmi. I still don't think I'm going to be selling any of them myself though. Have about had it with my vendoring experiment on Baja. ROFL I will never be a merchant. A plant grower, yes. This has gotten me interested in plants again.

When I get the seeds stacked and the plants cut up into reeds and plant clippings and pester my guildmates about the colors they want, I'll be hollering at you to come get clippings and reeds, my dear. I want to close some house-holding accounts!
Whatever you want to give me, I'll take. But I think you can still make a bit of money selling your stuff off, and money is always useful. :)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

There are usually quite a few around the Holy City in SA. That's where I've been hunting them. I'd be happy to give you a rune if you would like.
I finally went to the gargoyle cities and looked around.

I found an area that spawns silver serpents like crazy. My dog had 10 around him. Not sure where it is but it has grass and hills. I marked a rune to return.

Looks like SA is the best place for serpents. Also I will never run out of necro regs.

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Out of my first stocking, everything sold tonight except:

ice green
rare aqua
ice blue

I restocked again with all colors but the yellows and three of the oranges - ran out of venom. They're selling really well - people seem to really like the greens and purples. Also, "ice black" (white + black) I priced at 150k and it was bought almost as soon as it was on the vendor. LOL someone just bought the white while I was typing.

When I can get enough venom to have a sample vial of each color I want to put a dyed sample out next to each dye - some of the colors look so-so in the bottle but are lovely on an item.

I'm off to collect more venom...THANKS Ommadawn for the SA rune!! Silver Serpents in SA are very plentiful - it's helping a bunch! :)

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

IIRC the fast serpent spawn is north of the city in a little cul-de-sac type area. It's very near to an abandoned town/dock thing next to the northern waters, if you look at a map you can make out the docks. Just a bit south of there (I think) is the spawn.

And this morning when I was sneakily buying up the 6 gps leather from the new NPC tanners I noticed a serpent had snuck into town - this was over by the southwest gate. I was on my crafter or I would have taken him down, instead he killed a refuge and I got him guard whacked. So I suppose theres a spawn over in that direction, tho I have yet to explore that area.

G

guum

Eventually, stains will become relatively cheap, but right now, I think the gardeners of UO are wildly undervaluing their new cash cow. As someone who primarily plays a merchant in game, I'd estimate that the current worth of the new stains is around 1mil per, give or take...the search sites are down right now, so it's hard to establish worth either as a buyer or a seller, but that's my guess of what they'll settle at in the short term. The rarity of the dye won't mean much in terms of value...instead, think about what looks pretty or cool to the average PvPer (since they have most of the money) -- that's going to mean mostly reds, blues, purples, and oranges.

I'm mostly basing my estimate on the ToT dyes. Most of those were ugly. They were only one charge. And, they were a *lot* easier to get for the average UO player than the new stains are. And yet, for the first couple of weeks of ToT3, they were going for between 500k-1mil each. They *still* cost 100k (and up to 500k for something like chaos blue), 2 months later, even after everyone knew that staining would bein game, would have better colors with more charges, and would be able to dye a wider variety of things.

Eventually, stain prices will be lower than ToT3 dye prices -- there were a ton of ToT dyes farmed, but they are now a finite resource, and stains will not be (unless something weird happens). But that's going to take a while: my guess is stain prices will stay above 100k per stain for at least 3 months, possibly as long as 6 months. There just aren't that many gardeners out there...I remember that when I was trying to deco my house's garden a while back that it was a serious pain to track down plants. The number of gardeners will, of course, increase as profitability does, but to those folks who do primarily crafting/gardening and don't do much else, I will say this, with absolute conviction: you are woefully underpaid for your gardening efforts. I have done a bit of gardening, and it is a real pain in the butt. Tons of clicks, AND you have to log in (and look after your plants) every single day while they're growing. I can literally make more in 15 minutes of Luna merchanteering than you will make in 6 months selling plants at 2k a pop. And I can make in an hour of farming miasmas on my sampire (much easier than gardening) around 250k all told -- how long does it take to make that much as a gardner? Point is, you need to charge more, for plants too.

So anyway, my advice is: rent a Luna vendor and charge through the nose. If you don't and I see your dyes (or colored plants -- working on my GM Cook as I type) priced much too low, I will buy you out and resell them on my Luna vendor for a profit that you deserve a lot more than me.

And if there's any gardeners on Chessy who really just don't want to deal with pricing and such, I will buy out your entire stock of dyes at double the prices that Ommadawn listed earlier (well, I reserve the right to refuse ugly colors ;) ) -- feel free to send me a PM.

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

*covers Guum with flame-retardant blanket*

G

guum

*covers Guum with flame-retardant blanket*
Heh...I'm trying to be helpful, really. :) I consider stains as a way for gardeners to exact back-pay for all those plants they sold for practically nothing. Just offering some thoughts and advice.

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Look at my new UHall post :heart:

*Guum move over I have to get under the blanket with you*

kittykat

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

so finally had time in the past couple of days to actually work on the stains. Through the grace of 2 very nice ladies, I happen to have a Luna vendor. I put out white (80k), black (75k), some ice black (80k), and the 4 quest colors (40-50k) - underpriced I knew, but I *thought* I was probably on the back end of the selling spree (a run around luna tonight has me questioning that - it's like nearly no one is selling the new stuff - was very surprised). Anyway, my first batch sold out within the hour and so I restocked with basically the same items, minus the ice black and plus some plain that I'd made by accident. These took till the next morning to sell, but did sell as well. So..I'm on my third batch now, they've been selling much slower (as in people actually getting to come pick what they want, rather than someone snatching them all up).

I figure in time I'll drop the prices in the 50k (white, black, ice black) to 10k (the *ugly* colors) but for now I'll probably keep them somewhere higher towards 100k (although just don't think I'll go over that).

Oh, and amusingly enough...one of the very few vendors I found with SA stuff, was about 3 doors down from me, and had a bunch of stains for nearly 1mil each...amazingly enough the exact same colors I had...

that's okay - I'm cool with my prices and I've made about 2mil so I'm happy - and I've got enough stocks of plants to sell forever *grins* so I'll just keep at it...

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Heh...I'm trying to be helpful, really. :) I consider stains as a way for gardeners to exact back-pay for all those plants they sold for practically nothing. Just offering some thoughts and advice.
Thats why I made this thread. Tending plants for 9 days to get 200 gold. You probably spent more on potions.

We should get a reward for what we do, even if it only lasts a short time.

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I attended the SHE Auction tonight on Chessy. Some dyes were sold - here are the details:

• 1 bottle white - starting price 50k, sold for 95k
  • 1 bottle fire - starting price 50k, sold for 215k
  • green set of 4 (1 each ice, dark, green, bright green) - starting price 300k, sold for 300k
  • purple set of 4 (1 each ice, dark, purple, bright purple) - starting price 300k, sold for 1.5 mil
  • rare color duo (1 fire, 1 pink) - starting price 150k, sold for 2 mil
  • blue set of 4 (1 each ice, dark, blue, bright blue) - starting price 300k, sold for 2 mil
  • neutrals set of 4 (1 each white, black, metal, ice black) - starting price 350k, sold for 2.1 mil
  • 12-color set (6 regular and 6 bright of red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple) - starting price 600k, sold for 3 mil
  • 4-color set (1 each white, aqua, pink, magenta) - starting price 250k, sold for 250k

M

mjolnir131

the snake charmer flute is worth the price and hassle of GC all the time takes two blight and wood to make them

M

mjolnir131

oh and i don't think we should ever sell plats below 10-50k ever again more for the 5 special and black and white

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I saw a char at the Chessy Luna Bank last night - he was wearing rare magenta dyed clothing and shield :) He looked very pretty!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Well, I am very happy. The stain prices started dropping. A luna shop was selling for 50k.

I decided to drop to 150k. Droped some runes and an hour later I was out of stock!

WOOHOO Made 8 mil so far. Now Im ready to just settle down and stock them at the going rate. (not sure what it is)

Now I need to buy some gargoyle armor with the proceeds.

Thanks go to the UO shoppers. And to the devs for making gardening pay!

G

guum

Well, I am very happy. The stain prices started dropping. A luna shop was selling for 50k.
The only reason they're dropping is because the search sites are down and people can't find stuff in Luna without them. The owner of the vendor probably didn't realize this and started panicking and thinking that his dyes were overpriced.

They'll be in the several hundred k range as soon as the search engines are back up and a consensus price can be easily established.

Sinful_Candie

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The trouble I am having is I can't keep plants stock now. I am on Atl shard and no one is selling plants that I can find to compare price with. I use to sell the normal from 1k to 3500 gp just depending on the demand. and all the colors was 500gp. Well someone bought my entire shop out so Now i am playing catch up. Is there anyone out there that can shoot me a new price list Please. Thank you ahead of time.

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I raised my dye prices yesterday afternoon (Chessy) after seeing 2 bottles in Luna of white dye priced at 300k and 1 mil, respectively. Here are my new prices if anyone's interested:

ice black - 300k
white/black/metal/off-white - 250k
ice/dark - 225k
regular and bright - 75k
plain - 25k

I estimate that I sold around 90 bottles of dye between yesterday afternoon and last last night. Yes, I was scrambling like mad to restock and am very sleepy today, but had tons of fun! Did not check vendors this morning. Most popular colors by far have been:

regular red
regular purple
bright purple
regular blue
regular green

This is good news for me since I'm going to run out of white clippings soon - have already run out of black. Will be doing Seed Quest tonight ;)

Does anyone know the going price for the 'eraser' ToT dye? The one that removes pigment colors on items?

N

Numtinae

The trouble I am having is I can't keep plants stock now. I am on Atl shard and no one is selling plants that I can find to compare price with. I use to sell the normal from 1k to 3500 gp just depending on the demand. and all the colors was 500gp. Well someone bought my entire shop out so Now i am playing catch up. Is there anyone out there that can shoot me a new price list Please. Thank you ahead of time.
Honestly, plants that are the choke point on more dyes and the one that most adventurers are least interested in working on, so they're probably almost the same value as the dyes. It's about 5 minutes of snake farming to get a venom drop and then two or three combines with 75 alchemy and a jewel and you can turn the dye for 150k easily within a day.

BTW I stopped by, nice shop! But I wasn't the one who bought out all your plants. Someone got there first :)

M

mjolnir131

people like purple rune books so the purple will be hard to keep up on

Serafi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

On Europa I was rather early stocking all colours. My starting price was 100 K for regular, 150K for bright, and 300 for all other rare colours, and 350K for Ice Black.

Dropped a few runes, resellers from Luna came visiting, I had to raise the prices a bit - but they are now down again.

On Europa there are quite a few selling these at the moment, so I felt confident enough to lower the price even further on the regular colours down to 50 K, 75K for the bright ones, 200K for pink, aqua and magenta and 300K for black, white and fire and 350K for Ice Black.

And that is that I think, I don`t want to lower them any further down as I don`t feel i get the gold worth for the time investment. But, I like the price of 50K for the regular ones - as then you don`t feel you pay overly much for staining a runebook or some such.

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

the snake charmer flute is worth the price and hassle of GC all the time takes two blight and wood to make them
Is GC greater cure? I charm and I'm still getting poisoned - I've been eating petals while I gather venom.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Is GC greater cure? I charm and I'm still getting poisoned - I've been eating petals while I gather venom.
I think GC is grandmaster carpenter. If that what the flute is made by. The bite is deadly poison so the petals wont stop it.

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The petals are flipping me to non-poisoned status...

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

The petals are flipping me to non-poisoned status...
Huh? which is it? Do you get poisoned and have to cure yourself, or do the petals not allow poisoning?

I cant make a flute, so I cant charm them. Also I forget to grab petals before I go snake hunting.

Also I read something about the bite from a dev that posted here.

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Both. If I'm poisoned they cure, if I just eat one before I milk a serp I get a message "you feel yourself resisting the poison" and I don't get poisoned.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I have not tried this yet, but I was going to go on my tamer with a flute and then just invis a lot and stand under my greater dragon and have it follow me. So the snakes would attack the dragon but it wouldn't retaliate, and I could use the flute that way and not get poisoned. Not sure if using the flute makes the snake aggro though...

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I use a peace tamer and my Cu - peace serpent, charm with flute, stand verrrry close to serpent and use vials on it until I get my 2 venoms, then have the Cu kill the serpent.

M

mjolnir131

Greater cure i had eaten a petal and was still getting hit every now and then . my petal stock is below 300 now hehe.most when i milked not when i was gtting near the target

N

Numtinae

So your saying that color plants are going for 200k and up?
Well if you go farm a few silver serpents, you can make potions at 75% alchemy that will sell for a fortune out of a regular old plant. I'm still moving some at 150k with only a tiny amount of advertising (I had very little time yesterday so I tended my plants and dropped 10 runes and those ten netted me 3 sales at 150k each.)

My guess is that normal dyes stabilize quite low, but the ice and rare colors 100k+

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

So, even after stain prices stabilize, looks like the days of selling colored plants for 200-500gps may be gone for good. Yay!

But what about their plain counterparts?

I'm getting bought out of Plain Dye/Stain - it removes previous dyes, like the plain ToT dye does.

Does anyone know what the going rate for the plain ToT 'dye remover' is? That would help me figure out if I'm charging way too little for the new Plain Dye.

Thanks!

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Report from Luna on Chessy - dug around in the vendors and here's what's for sale(re):

white

black, 800k

bright orange, 200k

green, 150k

bright red, 150k

bright purple, 150k

rare pink, 150k

rare aqua, 150k

rare magenta, 150k

rare fire, 150k

N

Numtinae

I'm still moving non-rare colors at 150k without a problem on Atlantic--blue, red, and purple are the sellers. I sold my last two rares (magenta) for 350k.

S

soulstoner

Has anyone made 'Ice White' it's on the matrix as a red/white combo but I tried it red then white --- then --- white then red --- both = Ice Red.

Hence does 'Ice White' exist by that name & is it different than white.????:confused:

Happy Day:danceb:

M

mjolnir131

that chart is incomplete bright orange plus bright green makes a bright yellow

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Does anyone have any pricing updates for their shard, now that the dyes have been selling a little while?

F

Flora Green

I haven't seen any dyes on Origin including Luna and only one shop with a vendor with dyes in the name, but it's empty.

Serafi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Does anyone have any pricing updates for their shard, now that the dyes have been selling a little while?
No change on Europa - the prices seems to have stabilized over here.

N

Numtinae

Mine are marked down to 75k on Atlantic and I haven't sold a one. Going price seems to be 50k. But it's hard to tell as people are collecting up other people's runes and such. There's some pretty bitter people over the ones who marked down quickly.

I think we're going to have a second readjustment after people run out of plants they bought for 250 six months ago and chopped up their house decorations to make a quick buck.

Rares are all over the place in price. I've seen 150k to 300k

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Mine are marked down to 75k on Atlantic and I haven't sold a one. Going price seems to be 50k. But it's hard to tell as people are collecting up other people's runes and such. There's some pretty bitter people over the ones who marked down quickly.

I think we're going to have a second readjustment after people run out of plants they bought for 250 six months ago and chopped up their house decorations to make a quick buck.

Rares are all over the place in price. I've seen 150k to 300k
I still have my normals for 200k. Only a couple more have advertised stains. The one in Luna has sold out of his 100ks. He started at 50k. I bought his rares and resold them. LOL Usually it goes the other way.

Not a lot of vendors on LS. Most people wear robes to cover up their mismatched armor. I do!

The rare plants on the shard are gone. Even the ones that were selling for 50k and up.

I am happy with the new dyes. I am out of rare color plants, I will not use my house deco plants. I went on a few Naturalist quests yeasterday, if they yield plants that I dont like, Ill clip those in 9 days.

I dont sell colored plants for now. I do have a ton of bright blue if any forum readers on LS want them.

kittykat

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

this actually brings up another interesting point (which I thought of while I clipped up all my stores of black and white plants lol)...

How hard is it going to become to find any plants, especially black and white, for deco purposes any more? If the seller puts the plants out for reasonable prices then they get snapped up by someone that is looking to clip them up....but on the other hand, if you put out plants at a high price for the decorator that stops by from time to time then the vendor fees get to be a killer.

It's a weird little catch 22 - plants were practically worthless before, now they are almost worth too much *laughs*. I think in time the colored plants will settle down and be sellable again as deco - but I'm really wondering about black and white. I probably won't put any out on my vendors for a long time to come...

(ps: not that I'm complaining - I am in love with the staining system - love that it gives gardeners so much, love it's complexity, love the end product, just love love love it hehe - just been going round and round in my head how to properly offer my goods to my customers now *laughs*)

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

How hard is it going to become to find any plants, especially black and white, for deco purposes any more?
I'm wondering the same thing - also for plain plants. I put the plain SA dye out for 25k each, and kept getting bought out. Raised to 30k each this morning. But I wonder...will people buy plain plants to clip as well, to make the 'dye remover' plain dye? If so I want to sell them for more than 2k each ;)

N

Numtinae

Well at 75k I did two rounds of runes and got no sales and had one rune left remarked "junk" so apparently that's too high.

G

guum

Well at 75k I did two rounds of runes and got no sales and had one rune left remarked "junk" so apparently that's too high.
I really don't think so. I still say it's just because the economy is floundering without the search sites. Anyway, don't take it personally...some people are just jerks.

F

Flora Green

kittykat,

I've been debating on what to do with black plants for Halloween. Normally I go into overdrive to have a "good" amount to sell for decorating. Currently I have no black or white on my vendors and no intention of putting more out anytime soon even though I know people will start asking for them complete designs. I do wish Sak would have left the classic plants in the 5th hide. It's such a pain to cross hundreds of plants just to get 8 plants and now with demand on black/white for stains, I'm not sure how I'll be able to keep them stocked or take orders for people wanting plants just for decorating.

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really don't think so. I still say it's just because the economy is floundering without the search sites. Anyway, don't take it personally...some people are just jerks.

LOL I had someone leave a message on the board at my shop that read "your expensive". And I thought - in comparison to who?! I only know of one, maybe 2 other people on the entire shard who are actively making and selling the dyes and NOT for exorbitant prices by any means. And even now in Luna you can barely find ANY for sale - and the few that are available cost a lot more than I charge. Maybe it's because colored plants used to sell for so little, that people undervalue the dyes? Even if that's the case I'm not going to sell the dyes for some throwaway price.

Sales are still coming in, but have definitely slowed down. Think people want the dark dyes now - haven't seen those for sale in Luna on Chessy at all, and I had so few black plants that I can't stock any in quantity for a while. Although, in my latest cross-pollinating-crazy-day, I got 3 or 4 black mutations so that should help.