• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Sports debate thread two. (OT)

G

Watches the short shorts I bet :p Nah seriously but who won, I had it one I was watching but not once looked at the score, that bad?

I

imported_barjunkie

<blockquote><hr>

"Lets go watch the chick who sounds like shes having nasty animal sex" Woo!

[/ QUOTE ] Sounds like a normal saturday arvo for me

G

Geriatrics

<blockquote><hr>

I'll start.

This is how I rank sports which require the use of a ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you trying to rank it for sports which require more skill ? popularity or what ?
cos if its sports that require skill that use a ball i'd have to say snooker has all those sports beaten
but as far as watching on TV or live goes
i'd have to say cricket then tennis then snooker and then maybe rugby union
i can't stand watching american football, league, soccer or AFL

G

(not replying directly to Jahira)

I find it quite insulting that in this day and age these woman who have worked extremely hard on there professional sporting carriers are just objectified and put down upon because rather then worry about what they sound like or what they look like they put there heart and soul into what ever game or sport they choose to make there career.

And so far all that has been said about them in this thread is how well they jiggle and bounce.......its sick, why can they not be just good sports people like the men or shown the respect that the more male dominated sports are shown.

I for one wouldn't like to stand in front of a ball served by one of the Williams sisters, or to try and catch Kathy Freeman........I think your all under estimating these woman and actually being quite sexist and derogatory in your comments.

On topic of an actually sports debate rather then who looks good in what, my votes NRL hands down. I just can not warm to AFL and have more of a family tie to NRL.

G

Yeah, rugby is pretty good to watch.

...all those men bending over in those shorts, their tight muscular... ermm, oh yeah. Ball sports. I mean, umm...

*edits* In all seriousness, I can't stand watchign AFL, but I do occasionally watch some rugby - and I have no idea on the difference between the different versions of it, and I used to love watching cricket when I was young - especially when the West Indies were playing (which was probably more for the perv also :p)

G

<blockquote><hr>

And so far all that has been said about them in this thread is how well they jiggle and bounce.......its sick, why can they not be just good sports people like the men or shown the respect that the more male dominated sports are shown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like jealousy to me. The only non male dominated sports is volleyball or netball...

<blockquote><hr>

I for one wouldn't like to stand in front of a ball served by one of the Williams sisters, or to try and catch Kathy Freeman........I think your all under estimating these woman and actually being quite sexist and derogatory in your comments.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd love to face a serve from the Williams sisters, or any male or female professional tennis player. I think it would be awesome, I would probably hit the ball 1 in 100000 times when they're serving at their best but it doesn't matter. As for catching Kathy Freeman, I owned her in a race at Science Works (granted I did have a head start)... I wonder if any Melbournians who've been there know what I'm talking about

As for calling us sexist and that our comments are derogatory? Pfft... that really proves your character, did you notify a moderator and they didn't care?

I would rather watch Sharapova than the Williams or Amelie Maursemo.

A. She sounds better.
B. She looks better.
C. She plays better.

Triple threat! I'm sure 90% of the females who watch AFL (because the people who play AFL look normal, they have necks unlike NRL players) wouldn't enjoy watching Cameron Ling or Damien Pevrill running around... hypocrisy at its finest.

G

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,23191295-19764,00.html

SHOULD Courtenay Dempsey become the household name many at Essendon say he will, the AFL need look no further for a walking advertisement for its code.

Born and bred in the rugby league heartland of Cairns in north Queensland, the indigenous speed machine was a surprise omission when squads for the under-13 league tryouts were named seven years ago.

Until then Dempsey had made all the junior representative sides for north Queensland so his promotion came as a shock to the then-12-year-old.

So when his physical education teacher suggested giving Australian Rules a go, Dempsey embraced the new game until it became time to choose between the rival codes three years later.

"I decided to go with AFL because it's the better game of the two, more fun to play and the AFL program was a lot better than what rugby league offered," Dempsey, 20, said from Essendon's community camp on the Gold Coast.

"The way people like Rick Hanlon from the AFL looked after me was first-class. I think rugby league didn't really think they needed to do much work to keep kids playing."

Dempsey's late entry into Australian Rules explains why he still lacks some of the complexities of the code.

But when it comes to pace - look out.

He is blistering over 5m, 10m and 20m and has been earmarked by new Essendon coach Matthew Knights as a running defender, a position where he can see the game in front of him and just take off.

After being drafted at No. 19 in 2005 - a year before his best mate Jarrod Harbrow was selected by the Western Bulldogs in the rookie draft - Dempsey played five matches in 2006 and just one last year after a succession of hamstring injuries.

He admits to struggling in Melbourne early; a combination of leaving his family, the city's winter and a general lack of confidence.

He now says he is "ready to really go", the thought of impending fatherhood (his girlfriend Danielle is due a week before the first AFL game) filling him with anticipation.

"A lot of indigenous boys get taken out of their comfort zone, which is hard because we are very close to our families," the 185cm Dempsey said.

"I did struggle early on but I'm handling it a lot better now. The other indigenous boys at Essendon have helped me get through and Kevin Sheedy was really good to all of us.

"I like the way he looked after Dean Rioli when he became homesick and he did the same for me.

"But now, with my girlfriend and my little baby due, I'm fine and just can't wait to start playing football.

"I can remember being intimidated playing with someone like James Hird until he came up and told me not to worry about who someone is - just get the ball and take off.

"That's what I'm planning to do."

G

Geriatrics

<blockquote><hr>

........I think your all under estimating these woman and actually being quite sexist and derogatory in your comments.

[/ QUOTE ]

weren't women suppose to be seen and not heard ?

G

What was the point of posting that article? To quote someone elses oppinion?

The kid plays 7 years of league and makes the rep side every year until one day he doesn't get picked. He then decides rugby league is not fun anymore and afl is the better game to play... lol
Good luck to him, I hope he does well but he obviously wasn't suited to league in the first place. There has been a million kids like that over the years that have been superstars at a young age but then at early teen level the others around him start to develop faster and he falls by the wayside (or changes sports!)

Just another article aimed at taking a stab at a rival code, they all do it. Oh, and Cairns has never been a rugby league heartland, townsville and mackay yes, but not cairns.

I will say though that rugby league is guilty of neglecting such areas and concentrating on areas where it is already dominant, this part of coaching and development is where both AFL and Union are much better than league.

G

<blockquote><hr>

The atmosphere of Anzac day or a Prelim is far greater than that of state of origin (AFL's grand final usually has a lot of neutral supporters so the atmosphere is not that great, but it's still insane).

[/ QUOTE ]
State of Origin is the best players from each state going head to head. It's where teammates become enemies for three games a year, it's where states become enemies. No club games, in any code, league included, can compare to origin football. I'm not talking crowd numbers, i'm talking about watching a game where the best of the best go at it for 80 minutes with an intensity and ferocity that is not seen anywhere else. And the atmosphere, well, 50,000 QLDers packed into Suncorp Stadium around a rectangle field, (half the size of an afl field) screaming that hard you can't hear yourself think, thats some atmosphere for you. I have no doubt that an afl finals match or the anzac day game is something to witness but it's not the same concept, origin is different, it engages two whole states for the month or so it is held over.
<blockquote><hr>

The thing I don't like about rugby is it's just so repetitive...

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't understand the game mate. I could say that afl looks scrappy because there is a lot of fumbling around for the ball, but that's because I'm a league supporter and in league when you fumble the ball (forward) i's considered an error... see what i'm getting at? I have steered clear of basing my arguments on the technical side of afl because I don't fully understand the game.

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

(not replying directly to Jahira)

I find it quite insulting that in this day and age these woman who have worked extremely hard on there professional sporting carriers are just objectified and put down upon because rather then worry about what they sound like or what they look like they put there heart and soul into what ever game or sport they choose to make there career.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was unaware that complementing someone on their good looks was putting them down...

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

This thread is not just about 'jiggle and bounce' and nobody ever said they weren't good sportswomen, quite to the contrary in fact.

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither would I! How are we underestimating them by admiring their good looks again?

<blockquote><hr>

On topic of an actually sports debate rather then who looks good in what, my votes NRL hands down. I just can not warm to AFL and have more of a family tie to NRL.

[/ QUOTE ]

*cheers*

Just for the record also, Anna Kournikova (who i pictured) is a professional model as well as a retired tennis player...

<blockquote><hr>

Anna Sergeevna Kurnikova; born June 7, 1981) is a retired Russian professional tennis player and model. Although she never won a singles tournament, her celebrity made her one of the best known tennis players worldwide. At the peak of her fame, fans looking for images of Kournikova made her name (or misspellings of it) one of the most common search strings on Google.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Kournikova

[/ QUOTE ]

G

<blockquote><hr>

No club games, in any code, league included, can compare to origin football. I'm not talking crowd numbers, i'm talking about watching a game where the best of the best go at it for 80 minutes with an intensity and ferocity that is not seen anywhere else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like champions league? You can hardly say that when you haven't been to every sporting event. As for "club games" is state of origin a club game? It's a novelty that was a stolen idea from the AFL. I wonder how the AFL legends (THE BEST OF THE BEST GOING AT IT FOR 120 MINUTES, VICTORIA VS ALL THE ALL STARS [lol @ how easy it is to create hype]) match will go this year for the AFL's 150th anniversary.

<blockquote><hr>

80 minutes with an intensity and ferocity that is not seen anywhere else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever watched an anzac day match? These players [censored] kill themselves to get the ball... whereas in rugby play stops literally every 10-20 seconds.

<blockquote><hr>

and the atmosphere, well, 50,000 QLDers packed into Suncorp Stadium around a rectangle field, (half the size of an afl field) screaming that hard you can't hear yourself think, thats some atmosphere for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

45000 Collingwood and 45000 Essendon fans (usually more) packing the G... I wonder whats louder...

In rugby almost every single "try" is exactly the same.
Can you get "trys" as creative as this in rugby? (look at the clock and score board too).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fj4yklTVxQ

Look at this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXQYEUMQXQA

Love to see any rugby player ever be this skillful, keep in mind the shape of the ball... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWgdimq8y88

Did any NRL player/coach ever get farewelled like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkvS5HevgW8&amp;feature=related
Theres no [censored] 20 videos on youtube from Hird and Sheedy's farewell game from the crowds point of view...

This is a sub par AFL league grand final and look at the passion.... this commentator is legendary rofl. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0X1x7yRD6o&amp;feature=related

G

<blockquote><hr>

As for "club games" is state of origin a club game? It's a novelty that was a stolen idea from the AFL.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wrong. Let me explain to you how State of Origin was born. Originally there was the brisbane competition and the nsw rugby league competition made up of mostly sydney based clubs. All of the money was in the sydney based competition so they poached the best players of the brisbane comp to go down and play for sydney clubs. Every year nsw played qld and nsw naturally nsw thrashed them every time. So they decided to try something different and even the gap between the two teams. In 1980 they played the very first state of origin match where it didn't matter what competition you were playing in at the time, if you grew up and played your junior football in Qld you played for qld and so forth. Arthur Beetson, arguably australia's greatest ever forward came out of reserve grade at paramatta to captain qld at 34/35 years of age, riddled with injuries he strode out in front of a packed lang park and in the first couple of minutes a fight broke out where Beetson went toe to toe with his own paramatta team mate who was playing for nsw - thats how state of origin was born. No it's not a club game, it's a representative game where the only colours that count are maroon or blue.
<blockquote><hr>

Have you ever watched an anzac day match? These players [censored] kill themselves to get the ball...

[/ QUOTE ]
No I haven't Pet but I'd love to, as i've said before I quite enjoy AFL, I'd like to get to know it more, I like most sports. I don't have the view that some have that the sport that I know and follow is the only sport to be watched.
<blockquote><hr>

whereas in rugby play stops literally every 10-20 seconds.
In rugby almost every single "try" is exactly the same.

[/ QUOTE ]
One could say that AFL stops everytime someone takes a mark right? Especially if he is within goal range(inside 50)? And in AFL all you have to do to score is kick the ball between the posts. One could also say that every goal is the same then... or is there another way to score that I have missed all of these years??
See how easy it is to generalise...
<blockquote><hr>

Can you get "trys" as creative as this in rugby? (look at the clock and score board too).

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes pet but you wont find them in a 5 minute search on youtube lol

G

<blockquote><hr>

1980 they played the very first state of origin match

[/ QUOTE ]

<blockquote><hr>

thats how state of origin was born.

[/ QUOTE ]

1977 (held in Perth)

* Western Australia 23.13 (151) def Victoria 8.9 (57)

That my friend, is how state of origin was born...

<blockquote><hr>

No I haven't Pet but I'd love to,

[/ QUOTE ]

Fly down to Melbourne and try and get a ticket when they're released as they literally sell out in seconds... I guarantee you would absolutely love it.

<blockquote><hr>

One could say that AFL stops everytime someone takes a mark right?

[/ QUOTE ]

No they couldn't... as when someone takes a mark in AFL the players are still moving around all over the field and players can "play on" from a mark or a free kick for that matter.

<blockquote><hr>

Especially if he is within goal range(inside 50)?

[/ QUOTE ]

They have 30 seconds to get rid of the ball or the umpire will call play on, it is far less time around the ground.

<blockquote><hr>

And in AFL all you have to do to score is kick the ball between the posts. One could also say that every goal is the same then... or is there another way to score that I have missed all of these years??

[/ QUOTE ]

Well first of all the ball may go through the goals in any way possible and it will be deemed a point or if it came off the persons foot/below their knee it would be deemed a goal. However in AFL there are various styles of kicking, such as a drop punt ( http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=SsqrRMwLLtQ ), torpedo ( http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Jme9aV6A-eA ), banana ( http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=8llcP6tZoiw ), drop goal (see matthew lloyd goal of the year i posted before), then theres your ones that dribble along the ground ( http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=92rRXQJw-sM said goal was not in fact a goal), and your just freak of nature goals (*coughs* James Hird *coughs* http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=bUhhHA-AJvc [one of the three best ever AFL matches i've been too, listen to the roar when the siren goes]).

Found an interesting comment in one of those videos:
<blockquote><hr>

. im from the states and i believe footy is better than the americanzed games. it's got the emotion and fighting of ice hockey, the high scoring of basketball, the skill of soccer/football, and the physicality of american football MINUS the pads. Wish more of us here in the USA had some taste

[/ QUOTE ]

P.S has "league" ever had anything like this? http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=xped7Wle0SY&amp;feature=related (the crowd).

<blockquote><hr>

Yes pet but you wont find them in a 5 minute search on youtube lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they're so unpopular?

G

Pet the thing is you will not convince any NRL fan that AFL is better, No matter what you do, no matter how many facts you pull out. I will always prefer NRL over AFL as a game.

Oh and check your facts. Interstate competition between NSW and QLD did start in 1908, just because it wasn't called the state of origin doesn't mean it didn't exist.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Pet the thing is you will not convince any NRL fan that AFL is better, No matter what you do, no matter how many facts you pull out. I will always prefer NRL over AFL as a game.

Oh and check your facts. Interstate competition between NSW and QLD did start in 1908, just because it wasn't called the state of origin doesn't mean it didn't exist.

[/ QUOTE ]

<blockquote><hr>

Australian rules football matches between teams representing Australian colonies/states and territories have been held since 1879.

[/ QUOTE ]

win life?

G

<blockquote><hr>

Personaly i have to agree with Stumpy on this one. Some of those tennis 'women' if they can call themselves that are pretty masculine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Femininity has nothing to do with being a weak, fluffy little thing. Muscularity doesn't necessarily equal masculinity. A woman can be just as athletic as a man without giving up her gender (eg: Sarah Conner in T2, Ripley in Alien 4).

<blockquote><hr>

The grunting i find amusing, whenever i hear it i crack up, i mean its pathetic. The fact that its a topic of conversation at all shows us why they do it. Its all for the publicisity.

[/ QUOTE ]

They do it cos smacking a ball at 200 kph is a bit of an effort, y'know.. "Huh-UNGH!"

<blockquote><hr>

. "Lets go watch the chick who sounds like shes having nasty animal sex" Woo!

[/ QUOTE ]

Given you're a country lass, I find that "animal sex" reference a little suspicious.

G

Regardless of what year AFL or NRL started, competitions have been hosting representative matches since Jesus was the fullback for Bethlehem. It was a natural progression in a sporting league to want to pitch the best of one side against the best of the other.

League actually started in the UK pre 1900's where it broke away from Rugby Union over pay disputes and then slowly changed some rules over time. They played representative matches over there before the game came to australia, then when it hit our shores, they played representative matches here. As league developed over the years the imbalance started to develop between qld and nsw matches, as I have previously described, and the state of origin concept was born.

So you see it had nothing to do with AFL. I was trying to explain to you how the idea was born in my previous post but it seems I failed *sighs*
It has been hugely popular fuelled by interstate rivalry I wonder why it never took off in AFL? I would have thought that with the passion AFL fans show for their club side that would carry over into a series of interstate clashes. Maybe you can shed some light on this?

There is actually thousands of Rugby League vids on youtube, easily as many as AFL, you've just got to know what to look for, I brought up heaps of different selections. And if you want to guage popularity then, well Rugby League is played professionally in NZ, UK, France, Aust. It is also played semi professionally in tonga, samoa, fiji, papua new guinnea, russia, italy, lebanon and united states to name a few off the top of my head. But hey if we are guaging popularity on international appeal then Rugby Union has us both and Soccer reigns supreme!

G

rtlfc
Lawn bowls still rocks more then footy. I won again tonight and also won another meat voucher WOOT!

G

<blockquote><hr>

It has been hugely popular fuelled by interstate rivalry I wonder why it never took off in AFL? I would have thought that with the passion AFL fans show for their club side that would carry over into a series of interstate clashes. Maybe you can shed some light on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

It did take off, however it was too one sided as NSW/QLD/ACT/NT/TAS were finding it hard to field teams, it was always Vic V WA or SA. That has been the problem. However they are going to do a "Legends" game with the best players from Vic taking on the best from everywhere else this year (I think its that anyway).

Theres not much point anyway as theres so many interstate teams now and players would prefer to concentrate on a real season that means something.

The fact is, probably the only country in the world rugby league would be the number one sport is NZ. Other than that it would be some remote island in the middle of nowhere (even then I have my doubts).

G

Pet you ass, i've been stuck watching league highlights on youtube for an hour now. I'm not doing a rugby league promo here but I want you to have a look at this guy, Sonny Bill Williams, a young Kiwi player who has made a name for himself as the biggest hitter in the game. Here is the slowmo of one of his hits that nearly took Joel Clinton's head from his shoulders-
related Sonny Bill on Clinton
And here is a highlights package of him -
Highlights

G

<blockquote><hr>

The fact is, probably the only country in the world rugby league would be the number one sport is NZ. Other than that it would be some remote island in the middle of nowhere (even then I have my doubts).

[/ QUOTE ]
Rugby Union dominates League in NZ

G

<blockquote><hr>

Raiders supporter...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah why would you want to do that, i mean seriously.