• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Sports debate thread two. (OT)

G

I'll start.

This is how I rank sports which require the use of a ball.

AFL Daylight, Tennis Soccer, NFL, Basketball, Cricket, Beach Volleyball, Gaelic, Golf, Netball, Water Polo, European Handball, La Cross (sp?), Union and League.

In conclusion, AFL > NRL. Try and prove me wrong, go on, try.

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hahaha nice try pet, seriously hehe. I'm still choosing to ignore you however.

My only words on the subject is, NRL > AFL.

*edit*

Thought that just for the record I would list my favorite (or what I consider to be the best) 'ball' sports, cos it a good question.

Rugby League (NRL, ARL, Super League, NZRL, etc),
Football (aka Soccer, A-League, EPL, World Cup, etc...),
Tennis (Wimbledon, Aust. Open, etc),
Major Events (Olympics, Melb. Cup, Com. Games, etc),
Rugby Union (Super 14s etc)...
The Rest (with AFL right at the bottom somewhere next to lawn bowls...
).

As far as all sports go, the list is the same except 2nd instead of Football (which becomes 3rd) would have to be Snowboarding

I

imported_barjunkie

<blockquote><hr>

AFL &gt; NRL. Try and prove me wrong, go on, try.

[/ QUOTE ]
Because NRL &gt; AFL i said it so it must be true
Andrew Johns &gt; AFL

G

Nobody has any facts or statistics they would like to bring up?

I have some:

Year first codified:
AUSTRALIAN FOOTBALL: 1858
ASSOCIATION FOOTBALL (SOCCER): 1863
RUGBY UNION: 1871
AMERICAN FOOTBALL: 1876
GAELIC FOOTBALL: 1885
RUGBY LEAGUE: 1895

Domestic knock-out cup competitions average attendance :

League Country Games Average attendance.

Ligapokal 1 Germany 5 32,870
NAB Cup Australia 15 16,421
DFB-Pokal Germany 63 15,000

Competitions between national teams

Tournament Games Average attendance

Six Nations 15 65,404
International Rules 2 58,563

*skips 7*
Rugby League Tri-Nations 7 23,395

Domestic club championship events

Event Crowd

AFL Grand Final 97,303
FA Cup Final 89,826
Challenge Cup 84,241
All-Ireland Football Championship Final 82,289 (rugby owned by gaelic)
National Rugby League Grand Final 81,392

G

<blockquote><hr>

Andrew Johns &gt; AFL

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkalSOoQnxY

May contain drug references.

Looked for a Andrew johns highlight real, the longest one was like 5 minutes, looked for a James Hird one, longest one was split into two 10 minute videos (not to mention a vast amount more).

G

two words
Lawn bowls
forgotted that one
its great fun im off to play tomorrow night

G

Theres a few things to debate with this.

To play, To watch, Atmosphere at event.

My ratings.
To play: Soccer, Cricket (but beach cricket with the mates beats everything), Golf, Tennis, Union, League, Basketball, AFL. They are about the only ones i would really try to play, everything else I'm horrid at.

To watch: Women's beach volleyball (any male who disagrees is either stupid or gay) International Soccer (not A-League the skill level just isn't up to international standard), Tennis, Union, League, Cricket, AFL, Basketball, Golf

Atmosphere: International Soccer, Cricket (One dayers not tests), Tennis, AFL (I admit it), Union, League, Golf (god its boring to watch)

As you can see Soccer is far and above the best, then Cricket and Probably Tennis.

League and AFL are good to watch, but just not the best.

G

A few probs with your stats pet, with the attendance of finals etc that has to do with ground capacity more than anything. Millions of people worldwide would want to go watch an FA cup final between Man Utd/Chelsea/Arsenal/Liverpool etc. Maybe hundreds of thousands would see the AFL or league.

Soccer IS the world game.

S

Sid Vacuous

How wonderfully pointlessly tribal this thread topic is.

G

The first year Rugby leagues GF has beaten AFL's in ratings... and you know why?

A. AFL's Grand Final was played by Geelong and Port Adelaide, two of the lowest supported teams in the AFL.
B. AFL's Grand Final was going to be a clear cut blow out (and was) before the match even started.
C. AFL's Grand Final had 15k or so more attending, if that 15k didn't go, they would be watching T.V, thus bringing AFL's total higher.
D. AFL's Grand Final was played during a saturday afternoon, which is a terrible time for T.V ratings (loads of people work saturdays or are out saturday afternoon - night).
E. NRL's Grand Final was contested by Melbourne and Brisbane (I think it was Brisbane, can't remember... crap sport) thus resulting in the three most popular cities in Australia watching it, Sydney watching it because they're all thugby fans.
F. NRL's Grand Final was played at Sunday night, which is clear cut prime time television as most people are generally home on Sunday night as they have work/school/ect the next morning.

Got anything other than meaningless T.V ratings?

G

<blockquote><hr>

Anyone for Tennis?

[/ QUOTE ]

Edited my original post to include tennis. I rank it at number 2 behind AFL. Easily the best individual sport. Get's close to AFL because of teh womens. Drops back from AFL because of teh lack of physical contact.

G

<blockquote><hr>

To watch: Women's beach volleyball (any male who disagrees has better taste in women than stumpy does)

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed.

G

HA lawn bowls is awesome.
$5 to go play, you get a sausage sanga, 12 ends of bowls (my team won woo) then your score card goes in and thers a draw for a meat voucher, which my team also won! What an awesome night. Was so much fun... Although i better watch out next thing ill be wearing a straw hat and driving a volvo!

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

To watch: Women's beach volleyball (any male who disagrees has better taste in women than stumpy does)

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh come on, watch it, sit back and enjoy the bouncy. Not to mention the close ups of the "hand signals"

G

There is no bounce on those skinny volleyball wimmins.

If I want bounce, I'll watch Serena Williams. Amazons 4tw.

I

imported_barjunkie

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you on that 1 mate i dont understand tennis at all but ill watch the williams sisters all day

I

imported_barjunkie

<blockquote><hr>

The first year Rugby leagues GF has beaten AFL's in ratings... and you know why?

A. lame excuse
C. lame excuse
D. lame excuse
E. lame excuse
F. lame excuse

[/ QUOTE ]

keep telling yourself whatever you need to mate
ohh and keep quoting out of date stats too always cracks me up

G

Its funny what people try to pass off when they google things hehehe mebbe putting in dates in the search panel might help.

I

imported_JediSith

AFL is an australia sport and more people play it than Rugby League or Union...
As they are only played Queensland/NSW/Victoria...
But compared to Cricket and AFL which are played in all states and terrorities. Rugby has no chance of being the best sport in australia...

I

imported_barjunkie

<blockquote><hr>

AFL is an australia sport and more people play it than Rugby League or Union...
As they are only played Queensland/NSW/Victoria...
But compared to Cricket and AFL which are played in all states and terrorities. Rugby has no chance of being the best sport in australia...

[/ QUOTE ]
Jedi im dissapointed in you mate rugby is played in more countries than AFL someone as well traveled as yourself should know that, and pet only wanted someone to prove him wrong that AFL &gt; NRL i already did that.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

You like their excessive body hair and masculine grunting as well?

The volleyball wimmins do have their bounce, just gotta find the right ones.

I

imported_barjunkie

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

The volleyball wimmins do have their bounce, just gotta find the right ones.

[/ QUOTE ] I love a good grunt !!!!!!!!

G

<blockquote><hr>

2 words...
Karrie Webb

[/ QUOTE ]

She can play like nothing on earth, but in saying that she does look like she had a run in with a sledgehammer and lost.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell yeah, I'm not afraid of strong women.

Do you like yours with the figure of a 12yo boy?

G

i wasnt talking about what her face looks like dear boy, after all we were talking about bounce. Beats me how she can swing around em! I cant do it! even playing wii golf mine get in the way LOLS

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, i just dont like those with body hair and testicles

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, i just dont like those with body hair and testicles

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh, so you like 10yo boys..

G

Theres no way I can dig myself out of this hole so I shall just stop here. For the record, I think the Williams sisters are manbeasts, and i have no interest in boy of any age lol. Except Sims.

G

<blockquote><hr>

pet only wanted someone to prove him wrong that AFL &gt; NRL i already did that.

[/ QUOTE ]

You provided one useless statistic and totally ignored every point I made. Sorry, I don't think you proved it. But then again you thugby fans are pretty bad when it comes to brain.

<blockquote><hr>

but ill watch the williams sisters all day

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? Was this a joke?

You like Amelie Mauresmo then too?

All I can say is that the Australian Open womens final was top of the line.

Off the topic of women: DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY REBUTTALS/VALID POINTS OR DO YOU CONCEDE THE FACT THAT AFL &gt; NRL.

p.s

<blockquote><hr>

quoting out of date stats too always cracks me up

[/ QUOTE ]

2007 is out of date eh? Well I guess that the "stat" you gave me is out of date then too.

G

<blockquote><hr>

A. AFL's Grand Final was played by Geelong and Port Adelaide, two of the lowest supported teams in the AFL.
B. AFL's Grand Final was going to be a clear cut blow out (and was) before the match even started.
C. AFL's Grand Final had 15k or so more attending, if that 15k didn't go, they would be watching T.V, thus bringing AFL's total higher.
D. AFL's Grand Final was played during a saturday afternoon, which is a terrible time for T.V ratings (loads of people work saturdays or are out saturday afternoon - night).
E. NRL's Grand Final was contested by Melbourne and Brisbane (I think it was Brisbane, can't remember... crap sport) thus resulting in the three most popular cities in Australia watching it, Sydney watching it because they're all thugby fans.
F. NRL's Grand Final was played at Sunday night, which is clear cut prime time television as most people are generally home on Sunday night as they have work/school/ect the next morning.

Got anything other than meaningless T.V ratings?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm are you referring to the 06 GF? Last year was melbourne v Manly (I was there, drunk as a skunk and loving every minute of it).

I must say that I think there is a difference between a player (in any code) who takes a social drug and gets caught and ends up all over the media to someone like wayne carey who has completely gone off the rails. This has nothing to with what sport he plays it's just a general observation. Bottom line is you'll never change a staunch league supporters oppinion and they will never change yours. It's bred into us, we can offer up all the reasons in the world for it but the truth of it is that it had been ingrained into us since we were kids. You non sports lovers wouldn't understand but for me everyone in my family have been league lovers for ever so naturally I have become one too.
A couple of things I will say though - most people tend to dislike a game they don't understand. I lived in adelaide (around the time when the crows went back to back in the late 90's) and I also lived in Melbourne in 2005 and I have watched quite a few games of afl. I quite like it, it's not my game but I enjoy watching it from time to time and I respect the skill level and stamina it takes to play it. What I find strange though is that traditional rugby league strongholds have actually taken to the afl concept with the success of the swans and the lions. We have embraced your sport and it gets its fair percentage of media coverage in queensland and nsw, however, rugby league can still barely drum up the slightest bit of interest in victoria (namely melbourne) even for a team who has won two nrl titles in it's first decade and has been a finalist every year except one since it's inception. I wonder why that is? I mean one of the worlds greatest sporing spectacles - the state of origin can't even get played live in victoria, it gets replayed at 11pm. Speaking of state of origin, name me an afl match that even remotely comes close.

I

imported_JediSith

Since i have been over here in europe i have to agree with stumpy that football eg soccer is the world sport and i hate to admit this i starting to like it....

But the most popular australian sport is afl... even if its just played in 1 country ... the total amount of people playing it from little leagues up easily out numbers all the other sports...

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Bottom line is you'll never change a staunch league supporters oppinion and they will never change yours. It's bred into us, we can offer up all the reasons in the world for it but the truth of it is that it had been ingrained into us since we were kids. You non sports lovers wouldn't understand but for me everyone in my family have been league lovers for ever so naturally I have become one too.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT.

<blockquote><hr>

What I find strange though is that traditional rugby league strongholds have actually taken to the afl concept with the success of the swans and the lions. We have embraced your sport and it gets its fair percentage of media coverage in queensland and nsw, however, rugby league can still barely drum up the slightest bit of interest in victoria (namely melbourne) even for a team who has won two nrl titles in it's first decade and has been a finalist every year except one since it's inception.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well for a start, both the Sydney Swans (relocated from Melb, 1981) and the Brisbane Lions (result of merger 1996) have been round for muuuuchhhh longer than the Melbourne Storm (founded 1998). The Storm seem to be going alright though, their on field record (especially at home) is great and as such they are winning their way into the hearts of Melburnians.

They must be doing something right anyway...

<blockquote><hr>

In 2007 the Victorian Government confirmed that it would be building a new 31,500 rectangular stadium at Olympic Park, adjacent to the club's current ground. The Government has stated that the ground will be used for rugby league, it remains to be seen whether the Melbourne Storm will go to the new ground when it is completed in 2009.[11]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne_Storm#Statistics_and_records

[/ QUOTE ]

<blockquote><hr>

I wonder why that is? I mean one of the worlds greatest sporing spectacles - the state of origin can't even get played live in victoria, it gets replayed at 11pm. Speaking of state of origin, name me an afl match that even remotely comes close.

[/ QUOTE ]

No no nooooooooo. The Victorians loooooooove watching the New South Welshmen and Queenslanders beating each other up (even if they do spend most of the game wondering why there is only one set of goal posts for each team)! Who doesn't! :p

State of Origin has been taken to Melbourne several times and each time it has been a success, the last time was game 3 in '06.

I

imported_thenow

rtlfc

I play afl for 10 yrs club games , rugby for 5 yrs school games , rugby union school and club. All good in their ways, all have strengths and abilities that are admirable.However in my experience I have found victorians and afl can not be debated with, not all but certain close minded mentalities. My brothers best friend is one such person.Get him and pet at a game together following different teams and they are sure to be ejected.
Besides K1 , UFC, MMA , Muay Thai, Pride , Max are more enjoyable for me by far.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Besides K1 , UFC, MMA , Muay Thai, Pride , Max are more enjoyable for me by far.

[/ QUOTE ]

All MMA stuff is insane to watch, they are the absolute toughest ****s in the world imo. The American fighters are more grounded and don't seem to have the flashy fighting styles of the Asians.

I

imported_thenow

Agreed.Arena fighting has come along way in last 50yrs. With the science of
health n fitness, cross training and unarmed combat styles mingling, the art and skill has become exceptional,it would be heavily debated if unarmed warriors of today could out do the elite in history.I'd say todays are better, history warriors mostly used weapons. Weapons[excluding firearms of course] would be no debate ofcourse to who were better in history with them.

G

I used to love watching the Muay Thai fight nights on fox sports but I'm not normally home for them nowdays. I think its a problem that I laugh at stuff like this though lol, no matter how brutal it is. (Don't watch it if you are offended by fighting or little people or a combination of the two)

Still rekon worst "sport" is Professional Wrestling and I love the crap lol.

I

imported_barjunkie

<blockquote><hr>

ok that was an image i DIDNT need!!!

[/ QUOTE ] Lies it made you all hot didnt it

I

imported_barjunkie

<blockquote><hr>

Theres no way I can dig myself out of this hole so I shall just stop here. For the record, I think the Williams sisters are manbeasts, and i have no interest in boy of any age lol. Except Sims.

[/ QUOTE ] I'm not a boy!! i'm a manbeast

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personaly i have to agree with Stumpy on this one. Some of those tennis 'women' if they can call themselves that are pretty masculine. I mean, the Williams sisters must shave 4 times a day to keep the 5oclock shadow at bay.

The grunting i find amusing, whenever i hear it i crack up, i mean its pathetic. The fact that its a topic of conversation at all shows us why they do it. Its all for the publicisity. "Lets go watch the chick who sounds like shes having nasty animal sex" Woo!

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Personaly i have to agree with Stumpy on this one. Some of those...

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad you said some... :p

Testimony to this is how hard it was to find just a plain picture of Anna just playing Tennis....

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Personaly i have to agree with Stumpy on this one. Some of those...

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad you said some... :p

Testimony to this is how hard it was to find just a plain picture of Anna just playing Tennis....

[/ QUOTE ]

She played tennis??