• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

So I just got suspended for mentioning stratics

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kennykilleduo

Sounds like UO is being run by a company that just got taken over and looking to find any reason to get rid of an employee ( players)..

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am somewhat sceptical...
I'm with you on that one. Sounds a little fishy to me. Methinks they might have been suspended for something else they said or did....or maybe made up the whole story??

a slave girl

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if you think the way this is all turning out is for the best...

Less commercials in UO the better in my opinion.

Modernish Urls spammed in a medieval game is so unmedievalish, don't you agree?

For to long players have been allowed to break rules left and right in UO, so it's a real shocker to them to suddenly be punished for it, I can understand that.

Maybe EA could have handled the url rulebreakers a little more gently since they allowed the rulebreaking to go on so long unchallenged.

A 24 hour suspension is just a teeny tiny wake up call in my opinion.

EA for sure needs to work on the UOHerald website and either make UO Stratics the official UO forums or remove all links/entries that say UO Stratics is the official UO forums website.

If everyone in UO plays by the same rules then yes, I'd say that this all turning out for the best.

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Less commercials in UO the better in my opinion.

Modernish Urls spammed in a medieval game is so unmedievalish, don't you agree?

For to long players have been allowed to break rules left and right in UO, so it's a real shocker to them to suddenly be punished for it, I can understand that.

Maybe EA could have handled the url rulebreakers a little more gently since they allowed the rulebreaking to go on so long unchallenged.

A 24 hour suspension is just a teeny tiny wake up call in my opinion.

EA for sure needs to work on the UOHerald website and either make UO Stratics the official UO forums or remove all links/entries that say UO Stratics is the official UO forums website.

If everyone in UO plays by the same rules then yes, I'd say that this all turning out for the best.

because banning for url's is so much worse than scripters

a slave girl

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What a shame that such a self righteous person like yourself cannot even recognize humor when you see it.
I am done talking to the likes of you. You are insugnificant.

'Wait we better not talk about it here or (dielock) will call a GM on us.
I wonder, no, (he) probably does snitch on everyone in real life too. Must be real frustrating not to have friends and can't figure out why. After all (he) does everything by the book."

Well yes, now that you mention it, your words do seem quite humorous, after I substituted your name in place of mine.

:)

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
1st - i have to say i'm strongly suspicious of the op's 'banning'.

2nd - the article below is from uo's own website...announcing stratics as the official message boards for uo.

Changes for the UO Message Board Community Mar 17 2003 2:22PM
The Online Community Relations (OCR) team here at Origin feels strongly that communication is crucial when running an online game. When we first opened the MyUO forums in the year 2000, our goal was to provide players with a central place to gather and exchange feedback with each other and with developers. Over the last three years, though, we’ve learned that it takes a lot more time to moderate boards than to simply post on them! In an effort to spend less time as “the police” (locking and deleting threads, sending warnings, finding lost passwords, etc.) and more time on effective communication, we’re going to allow one of our oldest and most dedicated fansites, UO Stratics, to handle message board moderation and administration for the Ultima Online forum community on the currently established forums at uo.stratics.com.

So why choose UO Stratics? Well, not only are they part of one of the largest massively multiplayer gaming networks on the web, but they have the most active and established UO community outside of MyUO and a vast set of forums spanning every play style. Some of the benefits of the Stratics forums include:

* a more upgraded version of the same software used for the MyUO forums, with all the features MyUO users are accustomed to
* the ability to bookmark certain threads and posters
* thirty different board color schemes to choose from
* a fully functioning “Who’s Online” page
* a “Dev Post” page showing all posts made by OSI team members
* forums for each profession and each shard
* seventeen general forums, including an ideas forum, an off-topic forum, and yes -- even a rants forum!

In case you’re wondering if this change means that UO or the UO.com website is being scaled back, the answer is a resounding no! Not only has Ultima Online only now reached its all-time high in subscribers, but we have great plans for the future of the Ultima franchise. We are not short on web bandwidth or hardware; this change is specifically geared to free up the Community Team’s time for things that will improve communication, such as reading and responding to players' posts, researching game issues, and writing important news updates. Our time spent on the boards won’t change much – we’ll just be reading the Stratics forums instead of MyUO, and we won’t be spending any time on moderation or administration tasks.

The MyUO Forums will remain open until 2:00 PM Wednesday, March 19th CST to allow players to share their Stratics board names with other posters or make plans to meet friends from MyUO in specific Stratics forums. Anyone who doesn’t already have a Stratics username will need to sign up on the Stratics forums themselves here; we will not be providing players’ UO or MyUO login information to Stratics.

I know this is a lot of information to digest; we invite you to discuss this move in the following threads:

To discuss the move in general, go here.

To share your Stratics name with others on the MyUO forums, go here.

To browse the UO Stratics forums and see what they have to offer, head here.

you can find the article quoted above here:
http://www.uo.com/cgi-bin/newstools.pl?Article=7403

a slave girl

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

a. urls to websites that break EA's rules, does not apply to ALL urls.

b. a rule is a rule, I don't see the difference here?

Rulebreakers are probably getting paid $5 a month to advertise a gold selling url and probably making $5 a month running their scripting operation.

There is no difference.

A

AdamD

2nd - the article below is from uo's own website...announcing stratics as the official message boards for uo.
Yes but look at the date of that article
When Mythic took over, the "official forums" status of Stratics, was revoked, along with the cancellation of the fansite program.

I did ask about it and the response was

We do not have official forums at all (other than the internal ones) – and if you see a reference to Stratics as such, let me know so I can get it changed.
and

It was part of the implication when we discontinued the “official fansite” program, yes.

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

a. urls to websites that break EA's rules, does not apply to ALL urls.

b. a rule is a rule, I don't see the difference here?

Rulebreakers are probably getting paid $5 a month to advertise a gold selling url and probably making $5 a month running their scripting operation.

There is no difference.
You must of been or are right now a high school hall monitor or something...

:coco:

a slave girl

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Changes for the UO Message Board Community Mar 17 2003 2:22PM
The Online Community Relations (OCR) team here at Origin feels strongly that communication is crucial when running an online game. When we first opened the MyUO forums in the year 2000, our goal was to provide players with a central place to gather and exchange feedback with each other and with developers. Over the last three years, though, we’ve learned that it takes a lot more time to moderate boards than to simply post on them! In an effort to spend less time as “the police” (locking and deleting threads, sending warnings, finding lost passwords, etc.) and more time on effective communication, we’re going to allow one of our oldest and most dedicated fansites, UO Stratics, to handle message board moderation and administration for the Ultima Online forum community on the currently established forums at uo.stratics.com.

So why choose UO Stratics? Well, not only are they part of one of the largest massively multiplayer gaming networks on the web, but they have the most active and established UO community outside of MyUO and a vast set of forums spanning every play style. Some of the benefits of the Stratics forums include:

* a more upgraded version of the same software used for the MyUO forums, with all the features MyUO users are accustomed to
* the ability to bookmark certain threads and posters
* thirty different board color schemes to choose from
* a fully functioning “Who’s Online” page
* a “Dev Post” page showing all posts made by OSI team members
* forums for each profession and each shard
* seventeen general forums, including an ideas forum, an off-topic forum, and yes -- even a rants forum!

In case you’re wondering if this change means that UO or the UO.com website is being scaled back, the answer is a resounding no! Not only has Ultima Online only now reached its all-time high in subscribers, but we have great plans for the future of the Ultima franchise. We are not short on web bandwidth or hardware; this change is specifically geared to free up the Community Team’s time for things that will improve communication, such as reading and responding to players' posts, researching game issues, and writing important news updates. Our time spent on the boards won’t change much – we’ll just be reading the Stratics forums instead of MyUO, and we won’t be spending any time on moderation or administration tasks.

The MyUO Forums will remain open until 2:00 PM Wednesday, March 19th CST to allow players to share their Stratics board names with other posters or make plans to meet friends from MyUO in specific Stratics forums. Anyone who doesn’t already have a Stratics username will need to sign up on the Stratics forums themselves here; we will not be providing players’ UO or MyUO login information to Stratics.

I know this is a lot of information to digest; we invite you to discuss this move in the following threads:

To discuss the move in general, go here.

To share your Stratics name with others on the MyUO forums, go here.

To browse the UO Stratics forums and see what they have to offer, head here.

find the article quoted above here:
http://http://www.uo.com/cgi-bin/newstools.pl?Article=7403

That page is over 5 years old.

Alot has happened in the past 5 years in regards to UO.

Pretty sure Jeremy posted that this is no longer true, after Mythic was put in charge of UO.

I think it is fairly common knowledge that the UOHerald pages are currently being worked on and updated.

This is certainly an area that needs immediate attention.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I'm just going to repeat that this whole URL suspension thing is compleyely and utterly STUPID.

In their quest for a "fairer" UO, the devs have created a situation where a player can be suspended for having the audacity to HELP another player by a third player who is little more than a waste of pixels griefer.

Well done UO support staff. That's MUCH more important than banning dupers or scriptors. Thank heavens we're getting rid of those awful URLs!:lame:

S

Synyster Gates_MT

Wow. thats lame, they will suspend for saying the url of a game to help them, but then when there is a couple hammers duped and 4872 speedhacks on GL all they say is visit the knowledge base or fill out a form, its rediculous

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Yes but look at the date of that article
When Mythic took over, the "official forums" status of Stratics, was revoked, along with the cancellation of the fansite program.

I did ask about it and the response was

We do not have official forums at all (other than the internal ones) – and if you see a reference to Stratics as such, let me know so I can get it changed.
and

It was part of the implication when we discontinued the “official fansite” program, yes.
well, I surely missed all of that, Adam, thank you for this important bit of information

do have a question and/or observation regarding it all, tho

were your questions posted on these forums, your own or elsewhere?

and "part of the implication" really doesn't cut it for me... not with the nitpickers around here.... do not imply, tell me precisely

a slave girl

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I'm just going to repeat that this whole URL suspension thing is compleyely and utterly STUPID.

In their quest for a "fairer" UO, the devs have created a situation where a player can be suspended for having the audacity to HELP another player by a third player who is little more than a waste of pixels griefer.

Well done UO support staff. That's MUCH more important than banning dupers or scriptors. Thank heavens we're getting rid of those awful URLs!:lame:

"In their quest for a "fairer" UO..."

Someone posted that they were combining GMs for UO, DAoC and Warhammer this weekend.

Maybe their quest is for fairer all three games?

Or maybe they quest to make just Warhammer more fair?

I'd think Warhammer might rank a bit higher on the importance list than UO does this weekend.

Plucky Duck

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does anyone find it suspecouse the op of this post has five posts total but only two are still on the forums?

Seems to me this is either just another complainer with an agenda or a liar or both.

Anne

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In response to Slave Girl's question

I won 1 mil ... but it didn't really feel good

a slave girl

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well, I surely missed all of that, Adam, thank you for this important bit of information

do have a question and/or observation regarding it all, tho

and "part of the implication" really doesn't cut it for me... not with the nitpickers around here.... do not imply, tell me precisely

While you wait for Adam's reply I can say that I read the same thing front page UOHerald.com, possibly it was still UO.com at the time.

Possibly around the same time Jeremy announced the change of name from UO.com to UOHerald.com?

For sure it was since Mythic took over and there was a thread about why EA would not fund official forums like they used to right here in UHall.

I'm just not as patient or skilled in looking old posts up as some people are.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
this change is specifically geared to free up the Community Team’s time for things that will improve communication, such as reading and responding to players' posts, researching game issues, and writing important news updates.
All I can say is:

LMAO

A

AdamD

and "part of the implication" really doesn't cut it for me... not with the nitpickers around here.... do not imply, tell me precisely[/COLOR][/FONT]
Jeremy did confirm it here on Stratics, but I'm not sure if the original thread is intact or not
The original thread was titled "I feel abandoned, someone reassure me"
There's a copy at uoforums however - http://www.uoforums.com/f580/i-feel-abandoned-someone-reassure-me-31631/

Fansite program cancelled - We no longer have an "official" fansite program and link list, that is correct. The new process is here.

Official support forum status at Stratics was revoked. - This goes along with the "no 'official' fansites" change.
The quotes in my original post were from Emails I received from Jeremy.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Because a moron with a chip on their shoulder messed up the event via griefing a horribly poorly implemented rule of conduct.

Is it REALLY that hard to understand?

T

Trebr Drab

thats just plain BS and people need to stop trying so damned hard to get other people into trouble.

I think it's great because I have been told that I am the ONLY person in UO (well Pacific) who CARES enough about UO these days to page on:

... racist house/pet/char names,

...sexually explicit house/char/pet names,

...players who attempt to impersonate EA staff (latest was a guy threatening to ban my account),

...scripters, of all the afk variety doing various things,

...various other rulebreakers such as those advertising urls of websites that sell items for cash.

I just haven't paged on any urls in at least a two months. There was a script-run afk char dropping books for a search website, two rules broken there, and a couple chars advertising free uo that I did page on back then.

So yay!

I am not the last person in UO who cares, that makes me feel so much better.

Ok I did look at WRR Luna city houses wrr dot com named houses crosseyed a few times but what with the FOF promoting them it seemed they were allowed to break the rules so I passed on that page, not to mention that houses are a B to page on.

Keep up the good work whoever else it is out there who thinks UO is a game that can be enjoyed without breaking the rules!

Seems it might be more productive for you *(Lord Kynd) to ask that people try to start playing UO by the rules rather than asking us to ignore the cheating that is going on.
I agree completely and commend you, slave. I used to be that way, but pretty much gave up when so much obvious stuff, especially house names, went unchanged and unchallenged. Although there were a few times that a GM did do something about one of my notices over the years.

By the way...slave to UO? I get that if that's it. Or it can be "slave to RL job", but there's always those who don't like hearing the truth to try to turn you into something else.

I am very, very happy that UO is taking a strong stance on any and all cheating and associated links to it. Now, if only they will change the game play to take the incentive for cheating down a few notches, and turn it into a more "worldly" game so that roleplayers can do their thing better, and casual or time limited players can be more than "gold fodder" for the "e-l33t".

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, why do you think my post is a troll post and if you really think that why did you reply to it?

Aren't you the troll here?
It's evident to everyone who has read this thread who the troll is here.

You are most deserving. Sorry we couldn't get it engraved. That would have been an extra $0.75

********************************************************​

Not being able to mention stratics in game is just another push into the oblivion. It becomes more and more obvious that the people who run this game do not play it.

Experimental

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
slave girl, I notice ALL but five of your posts are on this thread....upping your post count??
After reading your posts, I put you on ignore as I have a hard time dealing with half-wits and trolls.
And for the record, your name DOES offend me since there were multiple members of my family who were still living as I was growing up who had been slaves. Too bad the ignore feature doesn't eliminate your posts AND your name. Unfortunately I still see your name and the posts you make when someone quotes them.

Beefybone

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"I'm so glad they're stopping those cheating cheaters from mentioning the very same website that the GMs themselves send us to!"

Come on, you guys are totally trolling.

Y

Yalp

There is a palpably poisonous atmosphere in the game these days.. created by the developers of the game.. and we pay our hard to come by cash for the privilege of "having fun" with their product. At some point, we will decide, each on his own level of comfort, that we have had enough, and will stop giving EA/Mythic those precious hard to come by dollars.

Whether the OP is telling the truth or not.. EA/Mythic has created an atmosphere in which we are willing to believe it.. (wwr suspensions for example).
This, (unchecked and corrected) action by EA/Mythic is creating the death of the game. It has no other course but to cause the failure of their commercial product. When it ends, there will be much noise making on the sadness of the loss of such a long standing product in it's genre... but it will also be unmistakable, the products own creators will be those who hold the blame.

Experimental

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is a palpably poisonous atmosphere in the game these days.. created by the developers of the game.. and we pay our hard to come by cash for the privilege of "having fun" with their product. At some point, we will decide, each on his own level of comfort, that we have had enough, and will stop giving EA/Mythic those precious hard to come by dollars.

Whether the OP is telling the truth or not.. EA/Mythic has created an atmosphere in which we are willing to believe it.. (wwr suspensions for example).
This, (unchecked and corrected) action by EA/Mythic is creating the death of the game. It has no other course but to cause the failure of their commercial product. When it ends, there will be much noise making on the sadness of the loss of such a long standing product in it's genre... but it will also be unmistakable, the products own creators will be those who hold the blame.
QFT

D

Deb

Man, when you think it can´t get any worse. I was talking to a newbie and telling him to go to this place here to read up on skills and training and stuff. This of course included mentioning the URL of the website.

Yes, it seems they are not kidding around. Seeing that stratics does indeed go against the rules by having banner ads, as was mentioned in the last FoF.

I´ll take my little holiday from UO to lok if I can find another online game. Or maybe go out when the daystar sods off.
Hmmmm, smells like a troll...just seems to me that people are not happy
unless they are causing some kind of drama on these forums.
And for it is worth I refer people to Stratics all the time and have yet to
get a suspension..I definitely do not believe this poster at all.:next:

Also, sounds like he/she has a beef with Stratics.

E

Eslake

When I first signed up to play UO it was owned by Origin. I think many people that still play this game never "signed up" to play EA's ****ty version of UO.
EA has always owned UO. Origin Systems Interractive was just a division of the company.

Am I the only one who thinks the OP was just trying to stir up trouble?

EA isn't going to suspend anyone for sending you to the very forums THEY send you to.

Then again, you never know if the GM you're dealing with has ever played UO or has any idea what is allowed and what is not.

a slave girl

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Because a moron with a chip on their shoulder messed up the event via griefing a horribly poorly implemented rule of conduct.

Is it REALLY that hard to understand?

I would share why I refuse to attend said "events" or event runner's websites, but there's too many people here on the boards today who can't think of anything better to say than YOU'RE A TROLL.

(They can't explain why you're a troll, they just feel that you are with their 7th "it's a troll" sense I suppose.)

WRR is in business to make money, and they utilize alot of free labor ingame to advertise their website. I don't really call that an ingame "event" so much as an ingame advertisement for their website that sells items for cash.

Advertising websites ingame that sell items for cash is against the rules.

Uhoh, thats why some WRR employees got suspended.

Is it not enough to work for free for WRR but does WRR really expect them to jeopardise their accounts to do so?

Guess that's just one of those business expenses that all business owners have to deal with from time to time.

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When are they going to start banning people for saying the owo.com

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is such a load of ****. There are worse things out there the GM's should be "investigating".

This like like a cop responding to a noise complaint when there is a robbery in progress up the street.
recently a cop pulled someone over on our road and sat out there with the flashing lights on at 2AM for 1 full hour walking back and forth from his car doing whatever. then the cop gave the person a ticket or something and sped off. wasn't even anything serious like a DWI. the funny part is all the drunks took the opportunity to clear out of the local bar and drove right past him drunk while the cop was sitting there detaining someone who wasn't.

L

lucksi

Good god, I don´t know what is more depressing.

a) That we have reached a point in this game where it´s not surprising if something like this would have happened.
b) That we have reached a point where the majority of posters here believe that this happened.
c) That other stuff just as ridiculous as this already has happened?
d) Another point that says the same

So no, I did not get a suspension for mentioning stratics.

@5 posters who doubted it: Thanks for existing.

@ whoever mentioned asking a GM to find out: Ask a GM? Yeah right. I have been playing UO on and off since the turn of the millenium. I´m on my 4th and 5th account now. Amount of times I have seen a GM: Zero.

I think it´s quite funny -only in a non funny way- that an entire guild and more can page on the same scriptors over and over again for almost a year and noone shows up. Our beloved gold farmers are always in the trog cave. Not to mentioned the afk miners, the dupers and so on. But mention an URL and a GM shows up?

Hmmm, I think when I see the scripter next, I shall page on him and put "Lol, he wuz spamming a websight that letz u saerch for luna vendors" ...typing like this makes my brain hurt...

@Slave: I would totally script too if I could make 5$ a month off it. That´s almost a quarter of what I have to pay for a single account monthly after all.

To sum it up, yes my post was me talking out of my hat (or rather something else that is round and inappropriate)

I thought it was funny to add totalitarian to the already existing things like racism and sexism that we have in the game.

Like armor that is only for elves, but no armor that is only for humans-racism
Armor that is only for females but no armor that is only for males-sexism

U

UltimaSword

I think it's great because I have been told that I am the ONLY person in UO (well Pacific) who CARES enough about UO these days to page on:

... racist house/pet/char names,

...sexually explicit house/char/pet names,

...players who attempt to impersonate EA staff (latest was a guy threatening to ban my account),

...scripters, of all the afk variety doing various things,

...various other rulebreakers such as those advertising urls of websites that sell items for cash.

I just haven't paged on any urls in at least a two months. There was a script-run afk char dropping books for a search website, two rules broken there, and a couple chars advertising free uo that I did page on back then.

So yay!

I am not the last person in UO who cares, that makes me feel so much better.

Ok I did look at WRR Luna city houses wrr dot com named houses crosseyed a few times but what with the FOF promoting them it seemed they were allowed to break the rules so I passed on that page, not to mention that houses are a B to page on.

Keep up the good work whoever else it is out there who thinks UO is a game that can be enjoyed without breaking the rules!

Seems it might be more productive for you *(Lord Kynd) to ask that people try to start playing UO by the rules rather than asking us to ignore the cheating that is going on.

LoL running around paging on everything you see is ridiculous. I guess some people need to feel important.

L

lucksi

Why Bye Lucksi?

Think that will get me banned?

If you ban people for making stuff up that some people belief it to be true, ban all the story tellers and especially those that make up new events and post em like they are real, like RavenWinterHawk.

All I did was point out how ridiculous UO must have become if over 90% simply took my "suspension" at face value.

_zigzag_

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So we've gone (once again) from a post that I believe is inaccurate to begin with to WRR to attacks and juvenile name calling....go play the game for a while :p

Status
Not open for further replies.