• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

So I just got suspended for mentioning stratics

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lucksi

Man, when you think it can´t get any worse. I was talking to a newbie and telling him to go to this place here to read up on skills and training and stuff. This of course included mentioning the URL of the website.

Yes, it seems they are not kidding around. Seeing that stratics does indeed go against the rules by having banner ads, as was mentioned in the last FoF.

I´ll take my little holiday from UO to lok if I can find another online game. Or maybe go out when the daystar sods off.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
how long a suspension, 24hrs?

did you give the full name of the url or simply say the word "stratics"?

feel badly for you, but the rest of us could use a bit of help, y'know? to avoid the same thing... and if you only said "stratics" then we're all in a bit of a spot, aren't we?

Cynic

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is such a load of ****. There are worse things out there the GM's should be "investigating".

This like like a cop responding to a noise complaint when there is a robbery in progress up the street.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since the gm's obviously aren't monitoring everything everyone says in game, someone reported you.

Not long ago people were blatantly using gms to get people they didn't like, and couldn't beat, banned by claiming to be offended by the very words they used themselves daily. I'd say this is something along the same lines.

Suspension for advising someone to consult to a known support fansite is clearly ludicrous. Something needs to be done. Educate the GMs to recognise when they're being used to do someone else's dirtywork maybe?

L

Lord Kynd

This is such a load of ****. There are worse things out there the GM's should be "investigating".

This like like a cop responding to a noise complaint when there is a robbery in progress up the street.
thats just plain BS and people need to stop trying so damned hard to get other people into trouble.

Snakeman

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If GM's are now banning people for 24 hrs for giving out the Stratics Web address to get info on the game, then his game has finally hit rock bottom. Knowing some of our lovely GM's know absolutely squat about the mechanics of the game (Curtains come to mind here, being able to put spaces in pet names in KR, Etc) they seriously need to pull a GM meeting & give them half a brain or at least some common sense on what is acceptable & not acceptable. Between here & uo guide, both have the MOST info (easily found I might add) one can obtain on the game & it's mechanics. Certainly Not UO's official site. That is so far past dated it's amazing anything at all is even close to correct. I am honestly waiting for someone here to come in & say they were banned for giving out UO.Com's web address! I can see it happening. What we have now is a bunch of GM's hurting the game to no end. Yes some things do need to change, but the way EA's going about it here is so wrong.

a slave girl

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
thats just plain BS and people need to stop trying so damned hard to get other people into trouble.

I think it's great because I have been told that I am the ONLY person in UO (well Pacific) who CARES enough about UO these days to page on:

... racist house/pet/char names,

...sexually explicit house/char/pet names,

...players who attempt to impersonate EA staff (latest was a guy threatening to ban my account),

...scripters, of all the afk variety doing various things,

...various other rulebreakers such as those advertising urls of websites that sell items for cash.

I just haven't paged on any urls in at least a two months. There was a script-run afk char dropping books for a search website, two rules broken there, and a couple chars advertising free uo that I did page on back then.

So yay!

I am not the last person in UO who cares, that makes me feel so much better.

Ok I did look at WRR Luna city houses wrr dot com named houses crosseyed a few times but what with the FOF promoting them it seemed they were allowed to break the rules so I passed on that page, not to mention that houses are a B to page on.

Keep up the good work whoever else it is out there who thinks UO is a game that can be enjoyed without breaking the rules!

Seems it might be more productive for you *(Lord Kynd) to ask that people try to start playing UO by the rules rather than asking us to ignore the cheating that is going on.

ejpeters

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You have to be kidding me isn't Stratics UO's official forums?
If that is the real reason I hope you have shots of what happened because to me it is the same as saying go to the UO website.

S

Smokey of LS

sounds like a load of BS, just like the other guy said, they got thier priorities all F****d up, and seems nothin better to do. sounds like a lil bit of it all, gm's doin others dirty work, and yea like a cop focusin a noise complaint when there's a robbery down the steet was pretty good too. sounds like this games gettin really ridiculous lately.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think it's great because I have been told that I am the ONLY person in UO (well Pacific) who CARES enough about UO these days to page on:

And yet you chose that screen name, nickname, to use...Go cry me a river LOL :talktothehand:

P

Pawl

Next time someone gets hauled off to jail for saying go to stratics, PLZ, PLZ point out to the GM that UO own site has min 3 links (that they missed taking down) to here

they took the link out of fansites and now it empty but left these 3 still there.

UO - Support - UO Pro Apps
you click on "website" to go and get program

UOAssist: Website - Details
UO Auto-Map: Website - Details
UO Calculator: Website - Details
UO Curse Tool: Website - Details <<<< Brings you here
UO Journal Converter: Website - Details <<<< Brings you here
UO Magic Tool: Website - Details <<<< Brings you here
UO Spawn Map: Website - Details

a slave girl

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If that is the real reason I hope you have shots of what happened because to me it is the same as saying go to the UO website.

"...isn't Stratics UO's official forums?"

No.

Wouldn't you expect that UO's "official" forums would be on EA's website or a website run by EA Games?

Have you never noticed that Stratics hosts forums for many different games *owned by many different companies?

a slave girl

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
sounds like a load of BS, just like the other guy said, they got thier priorities all F****d up, and seems nothin better to do. sounds like a lil bit of it all, gm's doin others dirty work, and yea like a cop focusin a noise complaint when there's a robbery down the steet was pretty good too. sounds like this games gettin really ridiculous lately.

I'm curious whose ''dirty work" you think the GMs are doing.

Doesn't the owner of UO have the right to enforce the rules that we all agreed to when we signed up to play their game?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oh trust me, I know how to use a dictionary.

I just found it extremely ironic *checks dictionary*, yep, ironic, taht someone professing to page on "racist" names chooses a nick that in the US is so strongly associated with just that. *shrugs*

I'll check back after my next cup of coffee, things may appear different then!
*grins*

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This has to do nothing with cheating. It is just some little baby crying to mommy. Since you have some thing better than him or he cant beat you in a fight. MOMMY MOMMY Johny said stratics.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
perhaps someone with a better memory than myself can give the details, but as I recall, Ultima Online *did* have forums pages on their website, which became a bit too much for them to handle along with the game, and they shut them down and...... I think...... instructed us all to use the Stratics pages as our "official" website, since they would no longer be hosting them

somebody, please, fill in the many blanks I've got in there for the slave girl, thanks

P

Pawl

perhaps someone with a better memory than myself can give the details, but as I recall, Ultima Online *did* have forums pages on their website, which became a bit too much for them to handle along with the game, and they shut them down and...... I think...... instructed us all to use the Stratics pages as our "official" website, since they would no longer be hosting them

somebody, please, fill in the many blanks I've got in there for the slave girl, thanks
You are 100% correct!!!! they did have there own, and shut it down after a bad upgrade.. and TOLD everyone to come here!!! as UO forums

Siabra

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
this is to " a slave girl " with the name you selected for this board- am guessing you think that calling someone a slave is not offensive - in which case .. WRONG

The very name you use here is offensive and degrading - what are the odds your characters in game have similar names?

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I am somewhat sceptical...

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yep!

Closed em down and sent us all here.
Actually tho, the best part of the old forums was needing an account to post *grins*
And knowing, that if you said Sumbitch on there, and got actioned, it went against your game account as well :blushing:

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*thinks about everyone getting on one shard in Lord British's castle and having a mass protest till the shard crashes...*

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LOL
Who was it that used to crash ALL the time? LS I think. And all the LS (or maybe it was Cats, was long ago) peeps would create chars on Atl and dress in robes colored alike and spam about their shard being down, till they overloaded Atl and crashed it!
hehh
Was cool tho, met some interesting peeps *winks*

K

Kula

Doesn't the owner of UO have the right to enforce the rules that we all agreed to when we signed up to play their game?
When I first signed up to play UO it was owned by Origin. I think many people that still play this game never "signed up" to play EA's ****ty version of UO.

a slave girl

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh trust me, I know how to use a dictionary.

I just found it extremely ironic *checks dictionary*, yep, ironic, taht someone professing to page on "racist" names chooses a nick that in the US is so strongly associated with just that. *shrugs*

I'll check back after my next cup of coffee, things may appear different then!
*grins*

"In its narrowest sense, the word slave refers to people who are treated as the property of another person, household, company, corporation or government."

You refuse to view the word slave in any other form other than as used in it's "narrowest" sense then?

I think you refer to the fact that slaves in the United States tended to be of the African race, thing is, the United States is approximately 232 years old and according to the wiki:

"The evidence for slavery predates written records. It can be found in almost all cultures and continents."

Hope you enjoyed your coffee.

:)

Anne

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was at Deal or No Deal last night and saw the bannings take place. I was surprised to be the first contestant picked. Along with my surprise I didn't have a clue of what I was supposed to do, since it was my first time attending this event.

I was listening to their radio but a few people weren't able to get it to work and some didn't know how to get it. Not a lot was said ingame and I was thinking that I was fortunate that my radio was working or I'd be even more lost. Then the game was interrupted because they were telling people the URL to use to get the radio and evidently someone paged on them. I can only imagine it was one of those people who can't resist ruining fun for other people. To everyone's surprise, the people conducting the event were transported to jail and banned.

The event was stopped abruptly with everyone in confusion and eventually they had no choice but to award the contestants prize money without finishing the game. People were simply furious. Wasn't this supposed to be an event endorsed by EA? Didn't UO Herald provide that same link in their endorsement?

In protest people started saying the URL ingame. This was done in the heat of the moment. More were banned. Each time someone was banned people were more enraged.

As a side note, while this was happening, one of my guildies said a made up URL (didn't link to anything) and received a 24 hour ban for it. I admit this wasn't the wisest thing to do but banning for a fake URL is just silly to me. He tried to tell the GM that he made it up but only got a canned response back.

Now I read that someone was banned for telling a new player about Stratics. I have done that myself so many times. When a RL friend first showed me UO and helped me set up an account the first thing he did was to give me the link to Stratics. I fully believe that I wouldn't or couldn't play or enjoy UO if I had not been given that link. I use it almost every time I play, even today.

What is happening here? When I first started playing GM's were available to help. They were accessible quickly and spent time solving whatever problem you were having. They weren't strictly police as they are now.

How is this affecting the people who play UO and expect to enjoy it? Are they going to enjoy the game if they are afraid of the griefers who will page on them and the GM's that support the griefers? What about the fear of buying something ingame from another player or vendor for fear the item is duped (with no way to tell if it is)? What about the fear that something you bought, were given by another player or found at an idoc was duped or bugged? Do I have to throw away items because if I page a GM to fix them I'll get a black mark on my account?

Do you enjoy fear? Do you play UO to wonder if you're going to be banned for something as innocent as telling a new player about Stratics?

I'm all for dupers and script farmers being banned. But when every single player has to look over their shoulder in fear things have gone too far.

Almost universally people love UO but they hate EA. Why can't EA see the problem here? Do they have a clue why the player base is declining? There is a serious communication problem here.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When I first signed up to play UO it was owned by Origin. I think many people that still play this game never "signed up" to play EA's ****ty version of UO.
Nah. It was run and produced by Origin. But rest assured, EA owned it. And they owned Origin as well. RG had to make a deal with the devil, to get funding for operation and release.

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*sighs* if one person cant be happy, we all suffer...

D

dielock

*thinks about everyone getting on one shard in Lord British's castle and having a mass protest till the shard crashes...*
We did that in Britain many years ago for some reason I cannot remember.
I do remember however, that there were people banned for staging the protest.

a slave girl

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This has to do nothing with cheating. It is just some little baby crying to mommy. Since you have some thing better than him or he cant beat you in a fight. MOMMY MOMMY Johny said stratics.

You are right.

There is a huge difference between "cheating" and "breaking the rules".

I feel corrected.

Thanks.

D

dielock

...players who attempt to impersonate EA staff (latest was a guy threatening to ban my account),

...scripters, of all the afk variety doing various things,

...various other rulebreakers such as those advertising urls of websites that sell items for cash.

I just haven't paged on any urls in at least a two months. There was a script-run afk char dropping books for a search website, two rules broken there, and a couple chars advertising free uo that I did page on back then.

So yay!

I am not the last person in UO who cares, that makes me feel so much better.

Ok I did look at WRR Luna city houses wrr dot com named houses crosseyed a few times but what with the FOF promoting them it seemed they were allowed to break the rules so I passed on that page, not to mention that houses are a B to page on.

Keep up the good work whoever else it is out there who thinks UO is a game that can be enjoyed without breaking the rules!

Seems it might be more productive for you *(Lord Kynd) to ask that people try to start playing UO by the rules rather than asking us to ignore the cheating that is going on.
Wow talk about a Troll post!! And some people even gave it the courtesy of a reply.

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
then we wont call it a protest, call it a "game wide happy get to know each other thing", same end result. *wink*

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am not suffering.

But I would love to hear how you are suffering, please do tell us all about it?
Lets see... i enjoy helping others instead of complaining on the boards? If i cant give out sites URL's that hold information, that restricts alot.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
then we wont call it a protest, call it a "game wide happy get to know each other thing", same end result. *wink*
:lick: ;)

Umm, do we still have enough subscribers to crash a shard?

:D:blushing:

a slave girl

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lets see... i enjoy helping others instead of complaining on the boards? If i cant give out sites URL's that hold information, that restricts alot.

Not being allowed to give out urls ingame in UO is truly suffering of the worst sort imaginable, I agree. (Specially for those websites who make real life money selling UO).

But maybe there are ways to prevent all that pitiful suffering:

Give them the url some other way maybe?

ICQ, msn, aim?

Tell them to google some key words like "ultima online" and "UO"?

Play the game! Learn where things are and how to do things?

Then you can tell them firsthand what they need to know?

Is it really the end of the UO world that EA is actually enforcing a rule you agreed to obey?

D

dielock

Not bad, not bad at all. Or we can call it a unification meeting of all guilds.

Wait we better not talk about it here or slave girl will call a GM on us.
I wonder, no, she probably does snitch on everyone in real life too. Must be real frustrating not to have friends and can't figure out why. After all she does everything by the book.

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I wonder, no, she probably does snitch on everyone in real life too. Must be real frustrating not to have friends and can't figure out why. After all she does everything by the book.
its a shame gm's have invulnerability.... if one showed up we could just flamestrike him... cant be much harder than a dark father...

a slave girl

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was at Deal or No Deal last night and saw the bannings take place. I was surprised to be the first contestant picked. Along with my surprise I didn't have a clue of what I was supposed to do, since it was my first time attending this event.

I was listening to their radio but a few people weren't able to get it to work and some didn't know how to get it. Not a lot was said ingame and I was thinking that I was fortunate that my radio was working or I'd be even more lost. Then the game was interrupted because they were telling people the URL to use to get the radio and evidently someone paged on them. I can only imagine it was one of those people who can't resist ruining fun for other people. To everyone's surprise, the people conducting the event were transported to jail and banned.

The event was stopped abruptly with everyone in confusion and eventually they had no choice but to award the contestants prize money without finishing the game. People were simply furious. Wasn't this supposed to be an event endorsed by EA? Didn't UO Herald provide that same link in their endorsement?

In protest people started saying the URL ingame. This was done in the heat of the moment. More were banned. Each time someone was banned people were more enraged.

As a side note, while this was happening, one of my guildies said a made up URL (didn't link to anything) and received a 24 hour ban for it. I admit this wasn't the wisest thing to do but banning for a fake URL is just silly to me. He tried to tell the GM that he made it up but only got a canned response back.

Now I read that someone was banned for telling a new player about Stratics. I have done that myself so many times. When a RL friend first showed me UO and helped me set up an account the first thing he did was to give me the link to Stratics. I fully believe that I wouldn't or couldn't play or enjoy UO if I had not been given that link. I use it almost every time I play, even today.

What is happening here? When I first started playing GM's were available to help. They were accessible quickly and spent time solving whatever problem you were having. They weren't strictly police as they are now.

How is this affecting the people who play UO and expect to enjoy it? Are they going to enjoy the game if they are afraid of the griefers who will page on them and the GM's that support the griefers? What about the fear of buying something ingame from another player or vendor for fear the item is duped (with no way to tell if it is)? What about the fear that something you bought, were given by another player or found at an idoc was duped or bugged? Do I have to throw away items because if I page a GM to fix them I'll get a black mark on my account?

Do you enjoy fear? Do you play UO to wonder if you're going to be banned for something as innocent as telling a new player about Stratics?

I'm all for dupers and script farmers being banned. But when every single player has to look over their shoulder in fear things have gone too far.

Almost universally people love UO but they hate EA. Why can't EA see the problem here? Do they have a clue why the player base is declining? There is a serious communication problem here.

You forgot to tell us if you won anything from WRR.

B

BartofCats

"...isn't Stratics UO's official forums?"

No.

Wouldn't you expect that UO's "official" forums would be on EA's website or a website run by EA Games?

Have you never noticed that Stratics hosts forums for many different games *owned by many different companies?

Actually you had better read the booklet that came with UO 9th Anniversary... It says right in there page 9 in brackets no less "(NOTE: The official UO forums are located at uo.stratics.com.)" PAGE NINE of their own book produced by EA made by EA and the OP gets banned because of some stupid GM who doesnt know the rules.

Sorry my faith in the game just went right out the flippin window.

a slave girl

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I wonder, no, she probably does snitch on everyone in real life too. Must be real frustrating not to have friends and can't figure out why. After all she
does everything by the book.

"...not to have friends ..."

Huh?

I know I am such a horrible person for wanting the best for UO.

I should be more like you and try to think up ways to crash the UO servers....

Wow.

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Huh?

Wow.

if you think the way this is all turning out is for the best...

D

dielock

Huh?

Wow.
What a shame that such a self righteous person like yourself cannot even recognize humor when you see it.
I am done talking to the likes of you. You are insugnificant.

a slave girl

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually you had better read the booklet that came with UO 9th Anniversary... It says right in there page 9 in brackets no less "(NOTE: The official UO forums are located at uo.stratics.com.)" PAGE NINE of their own book produced by EA made by EA and the OP gets banned because of some stupid GM who doesnt know the rules.

Sorry my faith in the game just went right out the flippin window.

You have a point there.

I recall Jeremy posting front page UOHerald that there were no official forums and that we all visited any "UO" related sites other than UOHerald at our own risk.

I went to find a link to that article on UOHerald but found in the new player guide that uo stratics is listed there as welll as UO's official forums as you say they are in the 9th anniversary booklet.

I am tempted to say that Jeremy's post cautioning us about UO related websites other than UOherald was After the pulishing of the 9th anniversay booklet.

It may well have been, but after seeing the new player guide still referring to UO Stratics as the official forums it's apparent Jeremy has some work to do over on UOHerald.com in removing all reference to UO Stratics being UO's official forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.