• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Siege Perilous needs help...DEV's please help...

G

<blockquote><hr>

It's the end-game in UO people love

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it's a very dangerous mindset to have that the endgame of any playstyle is the only place you want to be. It means that you lose the most valuable (non-human) asset UO has: the great number of years of accumulated content, limiting the game only to a frontier that is ever further away for starting players unless you accelerate them through.

It isn't my shard or playstyle and I may be flat out wrong, so feel free to ignore me, but as a curious observer of all things UO, I can't help but worry when I read these ROT requests that you might be focusing on the wrong symptom of your problem.

M

Midnight Rambler

Since I assume you're referring to all ROT change requests in general I'll go ahead and proceed to tackle this one (as I ironically wait between ROT gains).

If we are to agree that the "problem" is the lack of players on Siege, and I certainly think we can agree on that, then we must find the "symptoms". Yes, there isn't just one, I could go down a list of them probably and they start with a general disinterest in UO. This game is not nearly as popular as it was years ago for various reasons this has resulted in a sharp decline of shard populations.

Now, Siege has been hit rather hard by that decline since it was more of a "niche" shard. The people who played here and made up the guilds created that sense of "community" that we seem to bust out when comparing other shards. People started leaving one after another and entire guilds collapsed and much of what the shard was is currently lost.

So, it is population decline that is your problem of why Siege is suffering. We always wonder what can be done to bring people to Siege, cause there really is something to be said about it and it Is different than other shards. I find it more exciting myself. Yet, People either want multiple chars, multiple houses, or changes in skill gain and the Siege Community is so concerned about changing to accamodate others, that it is not only considering these thoughts, but even embracing the most extreme of them. After debate on this issue many feel that changing ROT is the way to go since it Shouldn't require too much time for the Devs to change. The last thing we need to do is try to get too complicated in the matter as we know how slow change can be in this game and when it does, it doesn't always seem to work out.

And if you were directing that question straight to black rain and not the rest of us then I apologize and I'll delete my response that appears to be full of too many air quotes anyway.

G

Sorry - I didn't mean to be cryptic. I wanted to explore the idea of why people want to rush to the endgame (not something that only affects Siege - it's a UO-wide problem). I'm a big fan of the concept that the game is in the journey, not the destination. Yet the solution to fears of declining interest seems to be to get rid of the journey and focus all attention on just the endgame content.

I fear that this isn't the actual problem - that there is something more fundamentally broken: people want to feel useful to their peers. When a game has a growing population base, the swelling base of newcomers hides the imbalance between lords and peasants because there are always other people just starting out. But once in the influx slows, the pyramid reverses and newcomers have no peers.

Yes, letting people accelerate through to high power puts them on even footing, but at the cost of destroying the whole "peasant world" that I personally feel makes UO great: the idea that there are people out there playing carpenters and fishermen. I see the original imposition of ROT on Siege as having been a way to recreate the original pyramid by slowing the advancement of characters (just as the lack of insurance in theory delays huge imbalances in gear from developing). But now so much time has passed that it has once again been lost.

So, as a complete and ignorant outsider, let me throw out a completely different thought for keeping Siege's power pyramid in check: skill decay. Instead of aiming for the endgame that's just Fel without insurance, explore a more radical approach and aim to keep people closer to the start-game by keeping ROT and having skills decay (rates weighted by the popularity of the skill). Want to keep a dragon as a pet? Be prepared to train hard to keep it loyal. Want to be an elder mage? Study long and hard to stay ahead of upstart usurpers of your wand. Make the darkest corners of the land a true terror to reach, set the game at a low enough play level that it is a truly different experience from production shards in skills as well as items.

Anyway, again not my shard, feel free to ignore me, just tossing out the idea for your imaginations.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Less people playing = less pks. So right now is a safe time to play. Lots of areas that pks dont bother running through.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I liked it PK free I would play in Trammel. Less players = boring.

I

imported_BlacK RaiN

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it's a very dangerous mindset to have that the endgame of any playstyle is the only place you want to be. It means that you lose the most valuable (non-human) asset UO has: the great number of years of accumulated content, limiting the game only to a frontier that is ever further away for starting players unless you accelerate them through.

It isn't my shard or playstyle and I may be flat out wrong, so feel free to ignore me, but as a curious observer of all things UO, I can't help but worry when I read these ROT requests that you might be focusing on the wrong symptom of your problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you talking about?

New accounts can't even access Siege on the server list... any new character HAS to be created in trammel even if the player loggin in is the type that only enjoys Felucca....

and the end-game is something all characters can participate in, just how much of it depends on the player and the character. You can most certain establish relationships, role-play and other such things not tied to carrots without having a completed character... but the beauty of UO and it's longevity in the gaming industry is the end-game.

If we want this game to go another 10 years strong... the end-game must remain strong.

New players will come and go... but players will only stay... if there is a reason to and that is the end-game or chasing carrots... and the ones that chase carrots, always go for the prettiest looking ones and always demand more carrots to chase... it's rather tedious...

and rather destructive.

Id rather see UO ENHANCE it's current systems rather than continuously adding new ones just to appease those who simply cannot be appeased.

I suppose we both have different points of view of the same problem... if you'd like, I can discuss this issue with you but, not in this thread please.

K

Kat SP

<blockquote><hr>

You know what kept me from building a char on Siege?

I'm walking through Luna on a brand spanking new character and all of a sudden "someone is attacking you" and with one hit I'm dead. Ok no biggie, I get healed and head back to the bank for a second. As I'm standing there in my new gray robe, "someone different is attac.... ooOoOOooo". I'm a little irritated but not real bad. I go get rezzed again and head back to the bank and low and behold "A third person is attac.... OOoooOOoOoO". I logged out and haven't even thought twice about going back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oddly enough, a similar thing happened to me during my first 15 minutes on Siege. I was killed almost immediately as I set foot in Luna. The difference is that I had sense enough not to go back for a while. You absolutely cannot be rez-killed unless you allow it. That is one of the first lessons to learn, the second lesson is that Luna is not the place for a newbie to hang out.

Making it on Siege depends on what you're made of and learning how to survive, whether you're a newbie or not.

<blockquote><hr>

The whole point of my post was lost on you wasn't it?

I don't really care about dying, especially when I have nothing to lose. When people are going to kill a brand new character for absolutely no reason and nothing to gain from it, well I really don't want to take the time and trouble to build a char on a shard with that "caliber" of people on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to tell you this, but that "caliber" of people exist on every shard. I was recently on Atlantic, guilding people for the factions event... Same thing happened, different shard.

<blockquote><hr>

Once again, if Siege players seriously want to liven up their shard HELP the new players to become a challenge, don't just attack them because you can.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact of the matter is that most Siege players DO HELP NEW PLAYERS. The new player may get killed, but most will rez and offer some help as soon as they see the player is new. Most will offer equipment, advice, gold.. all sorts of things and I have seen even the most die-hard PK's take a newbie under their wing and help get them started. I've seen those same types, take time out of their game to locate a NEW guild leader and facilitate the introduction between a new player and a guild designed to help new players get started.

I'm sorry you ran into a gaggle of asshats, we certainly have our share of them, but there are two sides to every coin. In this aspect, Siege is no different than any other shard.

If you're ever interested in giving it another shot, look me up! ICQ #220-571-153

G

<blockquote><hr>

OK lemme say this one more time please fix rot for the ppl that want to come here and dont want to come here because of rot and for the rest that cant stand to die and lose a ghost robe stay on your own server...because that post above me is just plain comical...

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know what a run on sentence is? Please learn to use a period. Reading your racing thoughts with no period makes my brain hurt. You mix up ideas and the flow is poor. ROT IS it reason I do not spend more time on Siege.

G

I truly hope that the dev's take heed here.
Get rid of rot. The rest will fall into place.

K

Kat SP

Siege Perilous should also be in the list of shards for ALL players to see.

I

imported_Goron

<blockquote><hr>

LOL!!! Ok, I figured I'd try again tonight... I found people! I went to Moonglow, stepped through the gate into the mirror'ed moonglow and was insta killed by Newt. I watched the PK's in action for a little bit, then went out side. I stood there as a ghost watching people run back and forth and nobody res'ed me. One guy named James in llama form came up to me and said *lick* .. lol I said "heh" and he said "I don't read OooOo" and left. After 10 mins of watching I found a wandering healer and logged.

Oh well, I'll try again in a couple years.
Have fun all!

-P.E.

[/ QUOTE ]
omg i hate people that just expect you to res them then go and whine when you don't.
Have you considered that James doesn't have the ability to res? He is a thief, I doubt he can res you. Also, there is a frikin healer within 3 screens of anyplace on the moonglow island, why would you expect someone to stop- take their time and resources- to res you when you can go do it yourself?

Good god, this is where siege is a 'vetern shard'- its for players that actually *try* to play. I'll give you gold, I'll give you equipment, I'll direct you to NEW where they can provide you with anything and everything you need to get started- but the second you EXPECT any of that behavior from me, I'll tell you to get the F out of my face and off our shard.
Good riddence. Please don't come back.

I

imported_Prince Erik

<blockquote><hr>

omg i hate people that just expect you to res them then go and whine when you don't.
Have you considered that James doesn't have the ability to res? He is a thief, I doubt he can res you. Also, there is a frikin healer within 3 screens of anyplace on the moonglow island, why would you expect someone to stop- take their time and resources- to res you when you can go do it yourself?

Good god, this is where siege is a 'vetern shard'- its for players that actually *try* to play. I'll give you gold, I'll give you equipment, I'll direct you to NEW where they can provide you with anything and everything you need to get started- but the second you EXPECT any of that behavior from me, I'll tell you to get the F out of my face and off our shard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I picked Moonglow because many people tout Siege as the last place in UO to find the COMMUNITY that existed pre Trammel. What better place to test this than during prime time at an event?

What did I hope to see? I had hoped to see the population of Siege banding together to participate in a shard wide event. What did I expect? A killing floor with PK's attacking everything in sight. . Mission accomplished.

Now, I'm sure I just picked a bad time and the population of Siege WILL get together in brotherhood to either save or destroy Moonglow, after all, that's what I'd expect from a veteran shard.

As for expecting a res, yes. Yes I did. I mean the PK who killed me had my baidaids to res me with.
I can't count how many posts I've seen here from "honorable" old school Siege PK's who kill for the thrill of combat, happily res the fallen, strike up conversations with their enemy and give them advice. There also were other people there than James the thief. Blues and Red alike ignored me. If a single bandaid or a couple of regs are that important to you, well, I don't know what else to say to you. You wouldn't understand.

Make excuses for this behavior all you want, I don't care. I submit to you, though, that if you and these other players are typical of what Siege has become then no changes to RoT or additional houses will attract the masses of players that Siege deserves. Total all out warfare is great if that's what you like out of UO, there are people who love it and far be it for me to say that's a "wrong way" to play UO. It's not. Who knows, maybe my account will attract the kinds of people who enjoy warfare and you'll get more people to come to Siege to participate.
Glad to help you out, after all, that's what UHall is for.

-P.E.

I

imported_Goron

yeah, you're right. The guy that pked you and took your bandies MUST have had healing to res you, i mean, EVERYONE has healing right? And why wouldn't they res you while surrounded by spawn? I mean, thats what you should expect them to do, reveal themselves in the middle of the spawn and res you regardless of the monsters attacking him/her. Yup.
I mean, why would they let you go res at the healer 1 screen away when they can risk getting themselves killed resing you in the middle of the event? And, I mean of course the spawn wont just kill you instantly so its not like they were saving you the time of getting killed again...

Had someone dropped you at the bottom of Shame, maybe they would have ressed you, saved yout he time of finding a nearby healer. But 1 screen from a permenant healer? wow- you are obviously not siege material.

yes, we on siege do have a certain amount of devotion required for you to fit in. Its not a very big requirement, in fact, i'd say its pretty easy to fulfill, but obviously you are below even that minor threshold.

Oh, btw, I hear that in Hello Kitty Island Adventure you can res yourself instantly anywhere with flowers in you backpack and a crown of daises on your head.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I found people! I went to Moonglow, stepped through the gate into the mirror'ed moonglow and was insta killed by Newt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool! I'm Famous!

No offense intended, I was just killing all blues, and some reds that came through the gate. I died a lot too.

I came in there sunday on my tamer and found lots of blues, and couldn't resist. Got 6 counts in seconds and went red.
Now he's working off counts.

So, I came back on my red and started lethal poisoning everyone. Hehe. I haven't had so much fun in UO in months.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I picked Moonglow because many people tout Siege as the last place in UO to find the COMMUNITY that existed pre Trammel. What better place to test this than during prime time at an event?

What did I hope to see? I had hoped to see the population of Siege banding together to participate in a shard wide event. What did I expect? A killing floor with PK's attacking everything in sight. . Mission accomplished.

Now, I'm sure I just picked a bad time and the population of Siege WILL get together in brotherhood to either save or destroy Moonglow, after all, that's what I'd expect from a veteran shard.

As for expecting a res, yes. Yes I did. I mean the PK who killed me had my baidaids to res me with.
I can't count how many posts I've seen here from "honorable" old school Siege PK's who kill for the thrill of combat, happily res the fallen, strike up conversations with their enemy and give them advice. There also were other people there than James the thief. Blues and Red alike ignored me. If a single bandaid or a couple of regs are that important to you, well, I don't know what else to say to you. You wouldn't understand.

Make excuses for this behavior all you want, I don't care. I submit to you, though, that if you and these other players are typical of what Siege has become then no changes to RoT or additional houses will attract the masses of players that Siege deserves. Total all out warfare is great if that's what you like out of UO, there are people who love it and far be it for me to say that's a "wrong way" to play UO. It's not. Who knows, maybe my account will attract the kinds of people who enjoy warfare and you'll get more people to come to Siege to participate.
Glad to help you out, after all, that's what UHall is for.

-P.E.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, Siege community is based around three main alliances. If you aren't in one, you are a target. You'll notice that all the pk's at the gate were TnT or Myth, this particular time.

Most of the community is inside these alliances and occurs on Vent. If you want to find it, you have to get involved a bit.

The Siege community has only once, in the 2 years I've been here, come together to deal with an event. That was the ophidian invasion. Even then, VmP was determined to disrupt the event and pk anyone, but we had enough PvP'ers there at the time to fight them off.

Also, I may have had your Bandaids, but Newt can't rez. He can't even heal without pots or dog form. He's a pk'er, not a pvp'er.

I'm pretty sure James can't either. He's a thief. However, Missy was rezzing and there's healers in both moonglows.

Drylooting is common here, mostly because it slows your opponent down from reentering the fight. It's certainly not for profit.

A good way to get to know the community in a fairly safe way is to join NEW. Most people on the shard won't pk NEW, and we donate to them regularly. Not great stuff, but enough to get you going.

I hope you aren't completely soured on Siege because of being pk'd and drylooted once. If so, Siege definitely isn't for you.

G

While I love Siege and most everything about it, this is exactly why I hate RoT. I really wanted to be able to have some fun with this event, but my feable char cannot compete with Monster Ignoring, stealthing reds or blues. I dont have a bunch of gold to replace everything I lose everytime I step through the gate. I have been on siege for 3 months and still cant take part in any pvp with my chars. This is crazy. I have to play at weird hours when time allows and not matter what time I go into that stinking gate there is always a TnT red stealthing around to whack me just as I am about to kill my first baddie. But alas I cant fight 2 baddies at once and so it is dirt nap city for me. I am not complaining about dying or reds mind you (maybe just a little about the TnT reds
) but rather about RoT not allowing me to train up a char after 3 months to be competitive. Please Devs Do Something

I

imported_Goron

<blockquote><hr>

While I love Siege and most everything about it, this is exactly why I hate RoT. I really wanted to be able to have some fun with this event, but my feable char cannot compete with Monster Ignoring, stealthing reds or blues. I dont have a bunch of gold to replace everything I lose everytime I step through the gate. I have been on siege for 3 months and still cant take part in any pvp with my chars. This is crazy. I have to play at weird hours when time allows and not matter what time I go into that stinking gate there is always a TnT red stealthing around to whack me just as I am about to kill my first baddie. But alas I cant fight 2 baddies at once and so it is dirt nap city for me. I am not complaining about dying or reds mind you (maybe just a little about the TnT reds
) but rather about RoT not allowing me to train up a char after 3 months to be competitive. Please Devs Do Something

[/ QUOTE ]
This is where Newt's (croaker) post applies. If you were in TnT you wouldn't need to worry about equipment. Need armor? I'd give it to you. Pots? swing by our supply house. Protection? no problem, we were there.
High skills or not, you would be decimated by the group of people working together in moonglow. But if you are part of a group, then you can compete, even with low skills.
I try to actively pvp with Goron and the only skills he has above 100 are meditation and magery! yet, I can still have a blast playing as a part of a community.
I am not sure if you are in a guild or not, but I know that this is how it is with any of the big ones. Even k0c helps their own (I assume).

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear you! We really need to get ROT fixed so that people can mess around on siege without 6 months of training.

Goron is right tho! Join a guild. Most of them will help a new player to levels that would be considered bizarre on other shards.

R

Repowski

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you talking about?

New accounts can't even access Siege on the server list... any new character HAS to be created in trammel even if the player loggin in is the type that only enjoys Felucca....

and the end-game is something all characters can participate in, just how much of it depends on the player and the character. You can most certain establish relationships, role-play and other such things not tied to carrots without having a completed character... but the beauty of UO and it's longevity in the gaming industry is the end-game.

If we want this game to go another 10 years strong... the end-game must remain strong.

New players will come and go... but players will only stay... if there is a reason to and that is the end-game or chasing carrots... and the ones that chase carrots, always go for the prettiest looking ones and always demand more carrots to chase... it's rather tedious...

and rather destructive.

Id rather see UO ENHANCE it's current systems rather than continuously adding new ones just to appease those who simply cannot be appeased.

I suppose we both have different points of view of the same problem... if you'd like, I can discuss this issue with you but, not in this thread please.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bravo.

This is one of the biggest problems with the game today... all these carrots - blaze colored everything, ice colored everything, super powerful arties...

All of these things please the mob for a short period of time, but you rob yourself of a long term customer this way. They achieve all their goals in record time, and then have nothing left to desire. They move on.

Ultima has become too easy to conquer. And its populations are suffering because of it.

I think this is the REAL root problem that everyone feels, but commonly expresses in a desire to go to a pre-(insert expansion) shard. Not the rules, or enhancements that they want to do away with... its the ability to rule the game in a very short period of time.

I

imported_SUNCHICKEN

I agree most people want reward without effort. I just recently started on siege i dont mind the rot so much. Maybe a tad bit of tweeking would be ok, but to completly remove it your shard that everyone seems to love would be over ran with the massive amounts of people that seem to be making the name of the game Ultima Archer Online. Sometimes quality over quantity applies.

On a side note... in 3 or so months an experienced pvper will be looking for a guild on seige.

D

Der Rock

u cant safe a playstyle that only 1 of 1000 paying customer want
no rot change no nothing will change this

T

tristo

I agree that a huge part of the problem keeping people from siege is the ROT system. It should be altered to decrease the timer and to increase the daily limit on gains.

R

Rykus

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's been established that Siege is 3% of the overal UO population. That is 3 out of 100 people, not 1 out of 1000.

Thanks anyway for trolling...

I

imported_Goron

<blockquote><hr>

On a side note... in 3 or so months an experienced pvper will be looking for a guild on seige.

[/ QUOTE ]If you are saying u made a char recently, and in 3 months u will be finished... I HIGHLY suggest looking for the guild asap. You don't need to be 6x120 to have fun in a guild. And like 70% of our new players say the same statement you just did, but get bored of being alone and quit before ever finishing the character.

You don't need to have a complete character to get into guilds on siege- pretty much any will accept incomplete characters. I joined my guild with only like 80 of each skill.

I

imported_Prince Erik

<blockquote><hr>

Cool! I'm Famous!

No offense intended, I was just killing all blues, and some reds that came through the gate. I died a lot too.

I came in there sunday on my tamer and found lots of blues, and couldn't resist. Got 6 counts in seconds and went red.
Now he's working off counts.

So, I came back on my red and started lethal poisoning everyone. Hehe. I haven't had so much fun in UO in months.

[/ QUOTE ]

None taken.
I actually am fairly well set up since I really am not a newbie. My char is finished (well pre AoS old school stealth/macer finished), I have about 700K in the bank, an equipped tower with lots of aids, spare GM armor, pots and even a ToT major or two laying around. I also have an ethy mount.

Oh, I didn't give ya a count, not my style.

Again, I want to be clear, I'm not against PvP, PK'ing, dying, donating my stuff to others, thievery, or any other type of confrontational playing no more than I'm against bank sitting in Trammel.

What I am against is doing the same thing every time I play UO. I can't mine every day. I can't train pets every day. I can't maintain vendors every day, I can't sit in a tavern every day nor can I pvp every day. The thing I like most about UO is I can find different forms of entertainment. Siege is just more difficult for me to do everything I want to do since most if not all sessions SEEM to begin or end in PvP combat.

I'm sure if I put all my energies into it I could probably find a guild that I'd fit perfectly into, join the right alliances and seriously reduce my chances of combat. That's one reason why I'm not right for Siege - it's a level of committment I find hard to sustain in the long run.

-P.E.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Think your math failed here, in the top 10 guilds on Siege, 333 chars = 333 accounts had been online the last month.

There are 230 guilds on Siege so I think that is more than 500 accounts.

That's not many but sounds of many but if 1 of 1000 paying customer play Siege UO should have 500,000 paying customer.

Now we may not be 500 players on Siege, I don't know. Even if all have have 3 accounts, UO should have more than 160,000 accounts and I think we all know, this is not true.

230 of 17431 guilds are on Siege, that's 1 of 75 guilds.

Maybe it's closer to 1 of 100 payed accounts, that had been logged in on Siege the last month. Some says it is 3%, that will be 3 of 100

I

imported_Prince Erik

Wow, you really are mad aren't ya.
At the risk of raising your blood pressure even more.... I never said I stood by my body and expected a res in combat, yeeesh. I sat outside the gate watching people carry on conversations, had a nice little lick from James, stood next to someone banking, went back to the gate and watched people go in and out and then went off and got res'ed.

On other shards I've been res'ed when PK'ed - I play exclusively in FEL on Pacific - my house is even two screens from Destard... PK central there. I'm also used to "can't rez, sorry" or "healer over there, jerk" or other types of replies. BTW, "War zone, newb, go away" would have worked too.

And since you persist in insulting me every chance you get, I'll make it even easier for you. My first pet was named Kitty, so I think I'd like to play Hello Kitty Adventure Island. Care to be my guide?

-P.E.

D

Der Rock

incorect madam

there is no real split of only siege acc and other shard acc,

most of the siege playing acc also play other shards,
i have also an char. on siege, so, the statistic of 1 from 1000 doesnt mean anything how much siege only player, or siege/other shard player are in uo

if u say there was 500 player on siege, then this means also,
many player where NOT on the other shards this time

and if u say there where 500 player , and if we maybe have still 30000 active acc atm, so that is round abound 1,52% of all player who use the siege shard,

so i am again realy near the truth

G

<blockquote><hr>

incorect madam

i have also an char. on siege, so, the statistic of 1 from 1000 doesnt mean anything how much siege only player, or siege/other shard player are in uo

and if u say there where 500 player , and if we maybe have still 30000 active acc atm, so that is round abound 1,52% of all player who use the siege shard,

[/ QUOTE ]

1% = 1 of 100, not 1 of 1000

500 of 30,000 = 1 of 60 = 1,7%

D

Der Rock

-------------------------
incorect madam
-------------------------------------------

1% = 1 of 100, not 1 of 1000

500 of 30,000 = 1 of 60 = 1,7%
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Attention pls

1% = 1 of 100, not 1 of 1000 : I never say this would be 1 %

500 of 30,000 = 1 of 60 = 1,7% : i wrote " round a bound " 1,52%
was i fast rethink, without any math so forgive me the 0,18 %

I

imported_BlacK RaiN

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you factor in the paying customers that love the idea of Siege and wish their shards were like it but refuse to move because of their friends and established wealth/items?

How do you know how many people really want their non-Siege shard to be more like Siege?

How many players play a no-trammel shard? Whether official or player run?

How much more populated are the emulations of non-trammel shards compared to Official Ultima Online shards? You do realize that some of the freeshards rival in population the most popular official EA shards?

The numbers are actually split rather down the middle... but, since UO's been screwing over the one half for the past 8 years... you only really see the trammy's jumping up and down.

Seriously, this is the dumbest most unfounded crap I have to read over and over again that makes jack-diddly to no sense.

D

Der Rock

----------------------------------------------
Do you factor in the paying customers that love the idea of Siege and wish their shards..........
-----------------------------------------

that dont change the facts,

if the support cost overcome the income (because of the emptiness of this shard)
then it is a failure to support

imagine if fel would NOT have champs and harrower then on ALL other shards fel would be completly dead (not half dead as now)
where are ure 30k of siege loving player/or fel loving player wich would make siege/or fel worth for EA

again, 1 of 1000 is NOT enough for the demand of support wich these "handfull of player ask for

I

imported_Goron

<blockquote><hr>

I'm also used to "can't rez, sorry" or "healer over there, jerk" or other types of replies. BTW, "War zone, newb, go away" would have worked too.

[/ QUOTE ]Well, Siege is the "vetern" shard, I guess we all just expect the players to know where healers are. Sorry, next time I see you in game I'll be sure to give you a walking tour of Sosaria. I'll even hold your hand the whole way- cuz thats what you sound like you need.

I

imported_Prince Erik

<blockquote><hr>

Well, Siege is the "vetern" shard, I guess we all just expect the players to know where healers are. Sorry, next time I see you in game I'll be sure to give you a walking tour of Sosaria. I'll even hold your hand the whole way- cuz thats what you sound like you need.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you're the best ambassador I've ever seen for Siege. In my case it's not RoT (which I like) or lack of housing (which I have) it's the playstyle that is favored at the moment. There are conflicting personalities on every shard, so your attitude towards me doesn't make a bit of difference to me.

On the one hand this has been an educational thread for me - I'm glad to see some constructive posts and thanks again Croaker for my little nap, it WAS pretty funny how fast you got me! I should have known not to go in without stealth. lol

-P.E.

G

<blockquote><hr>

If I liked it PK free I would play in Trammel. Less players = boring.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't advocating it, I was just stating the fact that when marks decrease pks decrease.

I

imported_ElRay

<blockquote><hr>

LOL!!! Ok, I figured I'd try again tonight... I found people! I went to Moonglow, stepped through the gate into the mirror'ed moonglow and was insta killed by Newt. I watched the PK's in action for a little bit, then went out side. I stood there as a ghost watching people run back and forth and nobody res'ed me. One guy named James in llama form came up to me and said *lick* .. lol I said "heh" and he said "I don't read OooOo" and left. After 10 mins of watching I found a wandering healer and logged.

Oh well, I'll try again in a couple years.
Have fun all!

-P.E.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol d-e-a-d shard, should be turned into a pre AoS shard, not some half hybrid wannabe, that will never fully utilize the current system

N

Nico-SP

People please keep on the subject at hand and then well worry baout other thing fix rot first...baby steps people...

I

imported_ElRay

<blockquote><hr>

People please keep on the subject at hand and then well worry baout other thing fix rot first...baby steps people...

[/ QUOTE ]

the fact of the matter is.... most people wont play under a system that is very item intensive, which caters to the very wealthy, and which you can lose items.

lose the system that makes items so very important and you may have more than 50 people who play siege

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is turning into any other Siege thread. Can we get a vote/show of hands as to the "xfer to from not from" idea? That seems to be the only thing that will fix the underpopulation problem. If I make a newb tonight, and he gets slaughtered and looted, I won't make another one. If I transfer a character over that's able to replenish his lost armor and wpns without an Act of Congress, I would continue to play.

I

imported_Gwendar-SP

<blockquote><hr>

My wish for future of SP is remove rot and remove PS (powerscrolls)

Next step is to alow folks to have a second house that can be used on SP only or muggen. Your account needs to be 3+ yers.

[/ QUOTE ]

If folks could have a second house on these shards, the shard would be filled with unoccupied homes.

G

<blockquote><hr>

the fact of the matter is.... most people wont play under a system that is very item intensive, which caters to the very wealthy, and which you can lose items.

lose the system that makes items so very important and you may have more than 50 people who play siege

[/ QUOTE ]

It's such an absurd misconception that since the game is "item based" that it has to let you keep your items on death.

First of all the MAIN thing that makes the game item based is insurance. If you can insure things then every piece of equipment you have will eventually trend toward the uber, and as such the items accumulate and become more important than the skill.

If you DON'T keep the items then this does not occur. If I've said this once I've said it 1040456849320687209356 times.

I

imported_Goron

<blockquote><hr>

There are conflicting personalities on every shard, so your attitude towards me doesn't make a bit of difference to me.

[/ QUOTE ]Uhh yeah it did, u quit siege...

G

<blockquote><hr>

I wanted to explore the idea of why people want to rush to the endgame (not something that only affects Siege - it's a UO-wide problem). I'm a big fan of the concept that the game is in the journey, not the destination. Yet the solution to fears of declining interest seems to be to get rid of the journey and focus all attention on just the endgame content.

[/ QUOTE ]

That really just assumes that the "journey" is skill gain. This game is not designed for people in the middle. Its designed for people with developed characters. There is very little to do until you have an at least semi developed character, that to me is where the journey STARTS.

I for one have made so many characters and raised so many skills over this decade that I would hate to try and count it. Skill gain is not fun for me in the slightest. I've already gmed every skill outside of taste id and I really have no desire to spend ages doing it again. Ive wanted to change my character around on siege to a more pvp oriented build for a change but the prospect of waiting for ages just makes me forgo it.
Skill gain to me isn't the journey its whats now is in between me and the starting line.

I

imported_ElRay

<blockquote><hr>

It's such an absurd misconception that since the game is "item based" that it has to let you keep your items on death.

First of all the MAIN thing that makes the game item based is insurance.

[/ QUOTE ]

BZZZZT wrong, what makes this game item based is all the mods for all the items we have in this game, not having insurance in a game with this many mods puts the wealthy at a major advantage over everyone else, much more so then a regular shard, which IMO is why siege is so sparsely populated

im betting if siege was pre aos it would be 10x more popular then now

D

Der Rock

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all the MAIN thing that makes the game item based is insurance. If you can insure things then every piece of equipment you have will eventually trend toward the uber, and as such the items accumulate and become more important than the skill
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and since all the siege lover, fel only player and insurence hater,and gm leather armor wearer, know this..
u see the majority of player flee from all shards
to siege, to play the real game...?

the fact and truth is the complete otherside !

G

<blockquote><hr>

not having insurance in a game with this many mods puts the wealthy at a major advantage over everyone else, much more so then a regular shard, which IMO is why siege is so sparsely populated

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes no sense. On an insurance shard you have to spend upwards of 100 million on a top flight suit. On siege you need one good bracelet, or one good weapon, and you can compete very well with one that cost you less than 500k, an amount anyone can come up with pretty fast.
Explain to me in which situation a poor person or a new player would be at more of a disadvantage.

<blockquote><hr>

im betting if siege was pre aos it would be 10x more popular then now

[/ QUOTE ]

The game as a whole was 10x more populated. ok maybe not 10. The fact that people didn't like AOS has little to do with it.

When you loose items they are helpful augmentations, when you don't then your items are as important as your skill, and indeed in most cases more so.