• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Should we have to join a specific faction to partake in an event?

Should we have to join a specific Faction to peratake in an event

• Yes

Votes: 78 51.3%
  • No

Votes: 74 48.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
but sorry have to disagree, unlees i can kill them all while I stay in TB?

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This weekend’s massively evil event will require that you be in the Shadowlords faction. Please remember if you are going to leave your current faction and join the Shadowlords it will take you 72 hours to leave. If you do not want to change factions or if you miss out on the time frame don’t worry, we will have another event for everyone else in the near future. Additional details regarding this event will be coming soon.
Take note of the bold section.

M

Mikeee

This just stinks because I absolutely LOVE all the EM events stuff and have been trying really hard to make time to play during them but my whole guild is in TB. I really don't want to leave the faction (not to mention most of my pvpers suits are built around the items) to participate in the event.

Of course maybe this means I'm just not EVIL enough!!!

So when I think of it like that I think its bad ass, so maybe have different events going on at the sametime, one for the evil factions and one for the good. I think it is cool that they might do an event for the loyal evil aligned people, I'm just sad I have to miss out for now :p

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Draconi,

Please extend PvP to trammel during this event so that I may kill the horde of trammelites that dare oppose Lady Minax.

D

Deb

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this mentioned back during the
Moonglow event? When we went in the hole and chose sides. I seem
to recall that we would choose between Shadowlords or ??. The
event when we got the glass daggers. Or is that something totally
different and I am just senile :D

Draconi

Most explosive UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this mentioned back during the
Moonglow event? When we went in the hole and chose sides. I seem
to recall that we would choose between Shadowlords or ??. The
event when we got the glass daggers. Or is that something totally
different and I am just senile :D
You not only remember correctly, but this event will use a darker version of the glass daggers Andrew previously endowed the faithful with.

G

Gawin

So you pulled a Hillary and Miss spoke when you said once in 11 years

have you ever thought of a career in politics :p

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Draconi, is there any chance SL will come out of this with a different layout for their stronghold?

Draconi

Most explosive UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Draconi, is there any chance SL will come out of this with a different layout for their stronghold?
Well, sort of. They'll get an extra room inaccessible to anyone but SL (can't bring sigils into it), and quite possibly some very nice amenities depending on how their shard completes the event arc.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, sort of. They'll get an extra room inaccessible to anyone but SL (can't bring sigils into it), and quite possibly some very nice amenities depending on how their shard completes the event arc.
Hmm, so this sounds like the event is simply a meeting with Andrew or someone else?

LadyNico

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hang about. You are not obligated to join any faction at all. Failure to do so simply means you do not have the opportunity of participating in that specific portion of the event is all. *shrug*

Draconi

Most explosive UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm, so this sounds like the event is simply a meeting with Andrew or someone else?
Oh, no. It's not just a meeting.

There will be a meeting, of course. We here at EA are fond of meetings. In fact, we have meetings all the time. These meetings are often held to schedule more meetings, and decide on attendance and action items. As you can imagine, meetings are very important in a game's development life cycle. Then again, many of us despise meetings, and do anything we can to escape their lurid call.

*ahem*

I'm sure that this will be a meeting with one very appropriate "action item" to complete that evening.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Draconi,

Please extend PvP to trammel during this event so that I may kill the horde of trammelites that dare oppose Lady Minax.
This is actually funny.

Wtf?

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, no. It's not just a meeting.

There will be a meeting, of course. We here at EA are fond of meetings. In fact, we have meetings all the time. These meetings are often held to schedule more meetings, and decide on attendance and action items. As you can imagine, meetings are very important in a game's development life cycle. Then again, many of us despise meetings, and do anything we can to escape their lurid call.

*ahem*

I'm sure that this will be a meeting with one very appropriate "action item" to complete that evening.
Ahh, so then the big question is thus:
Will those who are not in the SL faction get a chance to get a similar meeting with an "action item" at the next event?

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hmm ... *casts back memory* ... I vaguely remember back in the mists of the Inu arc that someone accidentally found their way into a secret room filled with "nice things" before it got sealed off abruptly. I wonder if this is any relative of that room? (I'm always curious how far back some of these threads being tied up go)

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Once every 11 years or so.
Wow, thats awesome. I just made that point in the other thread. Its ONE EVENT ONE TIME, folks. You will spend more time being upset about it than the actual event takes. It doesn't affect your gameplay if you don't go, and you won't miss out on the "Golden banana of awesomeness" if they run this event versus the typical pvm based item explosion event.

Players amaze me sometimes. I spent the afternoon with a baby and a toddler, and there are remarkable similarities in behavior. Yes, they each wanted what the other had but were luckily distracted by shiny new things. I hope the dev team doesn't have to stoop to placating the part of the playerbase that is upset they may have to miss an event because it would be too scawwey to join factions and enter the frightening land of felucca! *cue evil music, thunder and lightening*

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I posted this elsewhere, but will event participants be subject to being attacked by the other factions? Would it be considered griefing to do so, or would you consider this just normal Felucca and factions play and storywise, why wouldn't the good guys try and halt whatever nefarious schemes the Shadowlords are concocting?

Of course, could the tables be turned and those glass daggers prove extremely powerful against anyone trying to intervene?

Draconi

Most explosive UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ahh, so then the big question is thus:
Will those who are not in the SL faction get a chance to get a similar meeting with an "action item" at the next event?
Yep, in fact, the "good" side may actually show off even better organizing skills!

Draconi

Most explosive UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I posted this elsewhere, but will event participants be subject to being attacked by the other factions? Would it be considered griefing to do so, or would you consider this just normal Felucca and factions play and storywise, why wouldn't the good guys try and halt whatever nefarious schemes the Shadowlords are concocting?

Of course, could the tables be turned and those glass daggers prove extremely powerful against anyone trying to intervene?
Oh, no, since this will be occurring in Felucca, interference from other factions wouldn't be considered griefing.

The daggers? Heh. :)

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Draconi, sorry for so many questions, but I'm wondering if you can give us a hint regarding which types of characters will have active roles in factions as this story arc wraps up? Can we expect to see massive fights, will thieves still need to worry about stealing sigils, will traps still need to be removed, and will faction crafters need to stock up on materials for items other than traps?

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, no, since this will be occurring in Felucca, interference from other factions wouldn't be considered griefing.

The daggers? Heh. :)
So, will the EMs get to glomp anyone who tries to interrupt their speeches? They will be playing ruthlessly evil folk, right?

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Nothing wrong with it. It's one event that's part of the bigger scenario as a whole. It actually shows the possibility of players being able to take sides instead of it always being the game vs the players.

If you have an evil aligned player then it may be worth your while, otherwise, the only use it will be is to either try and get something to sell in Luna or to metagame later portions of the scenario.

Amren

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes.

I am all for new content and this was something that was never tried before.

K

Kiminality

Some events require you to go to a city...
Some require you to go to a dungeon...
This one requires you to join SL...

It's not difficult, really...
I'll be there, and I've never PvPed in fel in my life. I don't even like the place.
*Shrugs*

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i like how the reds and evil of players of this game finally get one little tiny event just for them (and not even just for them) and all the carebears come unhinged at the idea of it.

yes yes, you can all do as you want and believe in what you want.... unless it goes against what im doing and what i believe in.

i make it a point not to go to weddings (not that i could on my red character anyways) and valintines day events (again... not that i could cause im red) so i find it very cool that there is a fel event that you have to pledge your evilness too to attend.

im kinda shocked that people cant see where this is going.
evil people pledge alliance to the evil invaiders.

in a week or so the good guys will do the same to the platinum dragon and her crew.
then a nice big invasion and fight will take place.

these all reminds me of the Minax fights back in the day.

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i like how the reds and evil of players of this game finally get one little tiny event just for them (and not even just for them) and all the carebears come unhinged at the idea of it.
Few points

1: People complaining are "carebears"

How do you know it is not the opposing faction members that are complaining?

2: Even if we go with your rather flawed assumption in #1,

The current poll shows that more than 60% of people are in favor of this. So, clearly not *all* of the "carebears" are up in arms against this idea.

3. Based on 1 and 2, you should really not try to turn this into YET ANOTHER STUPIDLY BORING FEL vs TRAMMEL thread. Please, just don't go there.

Lyconis

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It sounds like they have to walk into this room at some point. My god shall praise me for every Shadow Lord I slaughter headed to that gathering. Does your false deity listen to you when you pray?

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not only do I vote yes, but can only hope that OTHER factions will also get events eventually.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, clearly not *all* of the "carebears" are up in arms against this idea.
true. *points at myself* :)

After the angst expressed at the last event or two, the concept of letting people blow off a little steam in a Fel free-for-all sounds like a good idea. Personally I'm very curious to hear if it turns out to be a nice, mostly-orderly war or a complete and utter freeforall of carnage.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I wish I knew for certain whom Casca was a mouthpiece for. I would join SL if I knew it was working against that usurping elf.

However, if my suspicions are correct, Casca is a puppet, or at least an ally of the Shadowlords, making them my enemy as well.

I just need my own faction. :D

Lady_Rachel

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
im kinda shocked that people cant see where this is going.
evil people pledge alliance to the evil invaiders.

in a week or so the good guys will do the same to the platinum dragon and her crew.
then a nice big invasion and fight will take place.

these all reminds me of the Minax fights back in the day.

Surround yourselves with the dark Shadowlords, and lurk under the wings of your Crimson Dragons.
Our turn will come....
Then the TRUE battle will begin.

The good folks of Sosaria will not let themselves be ruled by the Shadowlords.
Nothing else we will blind you with our neon!
:lick:
And all your bases will belong to us.

Snakeman

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Remember people... Faction Death = "Stat Loss"..... All the Non Faction joiners BEST read up on or there's going to be more complaining.:spider: Or is there going to be No Stat Loss upon death for this event ???

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Meh, stat-loss whining is for sissies! REAL ladies get out their explode pots, or fireball/lightning & lesser heals and get right back to work!

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Snag a pic as you do it and send it to me Ailish *evil grin*

jtw1984

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually. I'm already in SL. Lucky me! I'm going to dread going to the stronghold on the day of this event though.

Do we have any times yet?

So lets see here. On Atlantic we shall have CoW, LNR, and HOT camping out of SL stronghold. haha

Snakeman

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Meh, stat-loss whining is for sissies! REAL ladies get out their explode pots, or fireball/lightning & lesser heals and get right back to work!
That's correct, when in Stat ya improvise :D, a good player knows that. BUT when ya have people in factions like it was posted the other day, only for the faction perks, they die & go into stat loss (in Tram) & wonder WHY did my skills go to ....... now you tell me. They don't know the rules. I have a factions char, I know what happens, but many do not.

Petrify

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The funny thing is the best pvp guild on Oceania, by pure co-incidence, are all Shadowlords, so everybody will join SL just so we can't kill them. Will our red characters be allowed to enter the place where the meeting is?

Props to the devs for actually making an event in fel for once though.

R

RichDC

Hmmm...this is hard, now i have to decide what char to put in factions!

Dont particularly want my main PvPer in factions...then again i dont want to take my minax guy outta minax(too hard getting points on a thief on GL that isnt TB). Then i want to make sure i have a char for the TB faction at the next part(im sure there will be one)

N

Ni-

I partially expect some SL to switch out of SL for the chance to taste some sweet carebear meat.

R

RichDC

I partially expect some SL to switch out of SL for the chance to taste some sweet carebear meat.
I partially expect some TB/COM/MINAX to Join SL for some sweet carebear meat :p

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am highly intrigued, and may consider returning to Felucca for the first time in months in order to try and kill a few red Shadowlord Faction members.

Probably not, but maybe.

*chuckles*

Thank you, Draconi, for the clarifications.

-Galen's player

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Draconi, a couple of things I feel honor-bound to suggest to you......

1. Traditionally, blues killing reds in Felucca hasn't been considered griefing, though I do know of a few GMs who have thought otherwise, sadly. Were I you, I would clarify that on-Factioners showing up to snipe Faction reds (particularly SL reds) at this event is, also, not griefing. When I used to PvP regularly I got some good kills at the fringes of Faction battles.

2. Anyone who leaves another Faction to join SL just for this event should be penalized in some way, beyond the loss of their easily-regained Faction Artifacts. In fact, were I you, I would set up some kind of tracking system right about now. The code for whatever item this is could favor those who have been in SL for a longer time, for example. Or the items could require that someone be in the backpack, house, or bank box of an account with an SL character on it. Or the items could be like the Faction Artifacts, character- and Faction-bound. (The Faction Artifacts are Faction-bound, right? So you can't leave one Faction, join another, regain your points, and re-equip your Faction Artifacts, right?)

Either way, you get the idea....It should be reasonably clear that people shouldn't be able to temporarily betray their current Factions, do the event, then turn around and go right back. There should be some degree of permanency to joining Evil, some degree to which that choice should be, if not irrevocable, then at least there should be consequences for leaving. That way not everyone will join for the event, and then resume their normal lives as though nothing had happened and it was just another rares collection event.

-Galen's player