• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

SetItOff VS Kyrite 20m duel round two.

R

Rumpelstiltskin

Reason is decent on the field I will give him that, But most of the people who can beat him Pure mage can beat him OPEN field correct,?

Only thing I dislike about Randy is he is a Cubs fan :( , other than that he is not a bad teemate at all, LOL at least he didnt learn everything from you then join calamitys guild and talk **** :p,
Reason is great. I watched you two 1v1...fights lasted 10-15 minutes without either leaving screen. You won in the end, but he did redline you numerous times and he has 90-100 ping on the west coast. Nope, like everyone can beat him pure mage, but hardly anyone can beat him in the field. The guy hasn't done pure mage since pub 16.

Only good duelist from Napa I've ever seen was Vision.

Naw this kid is pretty Raw but wont take him long to become a solid top tier mage... he has good timing

B

Budwieser

It's not the template, it's the player. I would rather play a mage vs any gimp. Really, gimps don't have much of a chance vs a good mage IMO...or maybe I'm just really sweet?

Idk man...dueling doesn't really indicate anything if you ask me. Sweet Teen is a top player on the east coast and even west and he can't duel himself out of a paper bag. But his x-healing and syncing is fantastic. Eggplant to my knowledge isn't much duelist by any means, but he is phenomenal as a team mate. Cloud was an ok duelist, but great in the field. Now flip it around...one of the better duelists from the east coast was HackerPVProdigy, there were only a few I would say were better than him in dueling at the time, but he was just horrendous in the field, god freakin' awful. So I wouldn't rate someone based on their dueling skill, but maybe that's just me. Not everyone is as good at everything as me, ya know?
Thankyou Chad. Thought I was the only one thinking this the whole time. I guess you are pretty much the sweetest thing ever! :(

S

SUPRsalad

Thankyou Chad. Thought I was the only one thinking this the whole time. I guess you are pretty much the sweetest thing ever! :(
PRETTY much, being the key word. Once he downloads urban terror and can beat me in a 1v1, THEN he will be THE sweetest thing ever. .

Casca_The_Immortal

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
show some class.
LOL Kyrite the saying is true then... "The truth hurts" <big grin>. The fact is you've never been very good. Good yes, but not very good. There is a distinction there. Alas I fall in the same category and get just as pissed off at people that talk crap afterward. :p

Casca_The_Immortal

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been playing since beta so I am going to weigh in here:

The dueling on wrong roof thing is a load of crap. All of it. (and I don't play gimp dexxer/tamer/crap temps).

The reason it's a load of crap is simple. In a duel on wrong roof there are rules. There is a set terrain and the only thing you can demonstrate is your lack of lag and your ability to use that lack of lag (if you have it) to your advantage.

In the field however, (on a mage template) you can assess someone's ability. How they use the current terrain to their advantage (whether it is laying a field inbetween a house to trap noobs, teleporting after a dismount to get a leet hide off for a remount, jumping on and off your moose to avoid a dismount, teleporting up on a ledge to avoid the disarm from 4 dexxers on a ganking spree, setting ego aside long enough to realize it's time to dip because there are 8 noobs on screen, u were called target and 3 of them are dismounters so you need to drag a few outside of their comfort zone to clip them from the herd) all of this combined with timing, chugging, and lag management (let's face it lag is a huge factor and most of the "Good" people are just folks that ping less than 10 to the server they are on the rest is fairly common if you know what you are doing).

Sorry to disagree, but wrong roof demonstrates very little. Calamity is a prime example, he's very good on wrong roof and sucks ass in the field. He has to have twenty people around him all the time and then whines like a pancake and rage logs every time he gets owned. Yet because of people like you who say "Dueling on wrong roof is the defacto standard in skill management" guys like Calamity who blow in the field have enormous egos and think their **** doesn't stink.

The fact is he's a good shot caller and can fight on wrong roof. OK? He still can't keep the scrolls 1 v 1 in the field. Neither can most of the other "awesome wrong roofers". (I'm pretty sure Calamity doesn't play anymore I was just using him as an example because he personifies the point I was trying to get across)

Z

Zeranax

You all bring up good points and far too many for me to list them all individually and come up with a counter for each...so instead I'm going to re-emphasize a couple of things I said in my original post.

I would argue that pure mage dueling is still a great barometer to judge whether or not someone is also good on the field.
I feel this is indisputable based off my personal experience and the people I have fought with over the years. I don't know the people that you guys dealt with on a regular basis, but the people I have fought along with throughout the years (including today) usually translate to great field fighters as well as great @ pure mage duels. I said it's a great barometer to judge whether or not someone is good on the field. I didn't say it's the end-all be-all reason why someone is good on the field.

All of your particular examples are fine and it's likely the case for THEM, but in MY experience (and I have too many people to list to even begin pointing out every specific person) good dueling usually translates to great field fighting based on everything I listed in my original post. You can't teach idiots how to evolve into a viable mage/dueler. They have to be at least SEMI-intelligent, which is why you now see a vast majority of people play gimps. They dumb down their characters, want justification for a quick/easy kill, and to be quite honest are terrible on a mage (again, see my original post as to why).

I understand why pure mage is continually bashed on and not appreciated because people are a) disenchanted by the rinse/repeat aspect of it; b) NOBODY does it anymore, which in turn it doesn't receive the respect it once did; and c) they are barely any pvpers out there nowadays that have the drive/ambition to want to succeed at pure mage dueling, which is a biproduct of everything else listed above.
Again, I'm not talking up dueling as the greatest thing ever and is the deciding end-all be-all factor to determine who you are as a pvper. It seems like you're all assuming I use dueling as the only barometer to determine if someone is a good field fighter. That's NOT the case. Of COURSE there's going to be exceptions. To totally and utterly dismiss dueling as a complete non-factor though I will say again isn't a fair statement. People are so put off by dueling now it's astounding and will take every opportunity to take a shot at it, but I suppose it's fair since dueling has never been in as bad of a state as it is now (and will never get better).

However, I've played this game for too long, been dueling for too long, field fighting for too long to dismiss my personal experiences and intuition to simply dismiss dueling as a complete non-factor in today's pvp scene. It's a futile argument I know. It's obviously not the popular sentiment, but I will argue until the bitter end - not here of course, I broke my no posting on stratics rule, but this is it...probably - that dueling still has a claim to relevancy (not absolute) and being a good dueler CAN and DOES translate onto the field as well.

On a lighter note, pure mage duel to determine who's right and who's wrong? :eek:snap:

L

lols

PRETTY much, being the key word. Once he downloads urban terror and can beat me in a 1v1, THEN he will be THE sweetest thing ever. .
I will murderize you in UT - what's your name? I'll look you up next time :)

R

Rumpelstiltskin

I've been playing since beta so I am going to weigh in here:

The dueling on wrong roof thing is a load of crap. All of it. (and I don't play gimp dexxer/tamer/crap temps).

The reason it's a load of crap is simple. In a duel on wrong roof there are rules. There is a set terrain and the only thing you can demonstrate is your lack of lag and your ability to use that lack of lag (if you have it) to your advantage.

In the field however, (on a mage template) you can assess someone's ability. How they use the current terrain to their advantage (whether it is laying a field inbetween a house to trap noobs, teleporting after a dismount to get a leet hide off for a remount, jumping on and off your moose to avoid a dismount, teleporting up on a ledge to avoid the disarm from 4 dexxers on a ganking spree, setting ego aside long enough to realize it's time to dip because there are 8 noobs on screen, u were called target and 3 of them are dismounters so you need to drag a few outside of their comfort zone to clip them from the herd) all of this combined with timing, chugging, and lag management (let's face it lag is a huge factor and most of the "Good" people are just folks that ping less than 10 to the server they are on the rest is fairly common if you know what you are doing).

Sorry to disagree, but wrong roof demonstrates very little. Calamity is a prime example, he's very good on wrong roof and sucks ass in the field. He has to have twenty people around him all the time and then whines like a pancake and rage logs every time he gets owned. Yet because of people like you who say "Dueling on wrong roof is the defacto standard in skill management" guys like Calamity who blow in the field have enormous egos and think their **** doesn't stink.

The fact is he's a good shot caller and can fight on wrong roof. OK? He still can't keep the scrolls 1 v 1 in the field. Neither can most of the other "awesome wrong roofers". (I'm pretty sure Calamity doesn't play anymore I was just using him as an example because he personifies the point I was trying to get across)

didnt calamity beat paith in open field fights? just curious or were those necro duels only

chad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
didnt calamity beat paith in open field fights? just curious or were those necro duels only
They do no pots no apples necro fights and pure mage duels. They have both lost and won. If I'm not mistaken, paith is ahead one ornament (when they were worth 40 mil)

M

Mixtape

LOL Kyrite the saying is true then... "The truth hurts" <big grin>. The fact is you've never been very good. Good yes, but not very good. There is a distinction there. Alas I fall in the same category and get just as pissed off at people that talk crap afterward. :p
whos the guy who thinks im kyrite?

CountSilverbow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if only everyone posted a thread with a pic in it like set it off here this place would be bumping cmon chew can do it

S

SUPRsalad

I wouldn't call it 'own' buddy, but you do often take the upper hand. keep practicing, and try to get more people to download. STREETS 24/7! Woot!