• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Sampire.. how? Noob questions..

G

guum

To enhance or not to Enhance:

Just got a sampire weapon (ornate Axe) with the following stats:

SSI 25
HML 57
HSL 42
DI 45
HCI 11
Your call, but to my mind, you'd have to be crazy to risk enhancing that axe. Regardless of use, that thing's worth several millions as is, and adding 40 luck to it isn't going to change that much. And as far as a sampire weapon, you're honoring your opponents, right? that's an extra 1200 luck right there, and the devs have said that luck isn't even working right now.

H

HoB2009

Your call, but to my mind, you'd have to be crazy to risk enhancing that axe. Regardless of use, that thing's worth several millions as is, and adding 40 luck to it isn't going to change that much. And as far as a sampire weapon, you're honoring your opponents, right? that's an extra 1200 luck right there, and the devs have said that luck isn't even working right now.
I didnt know that luck was not working, is there a post I can reference, b/c if its not its definitly not worth worrying about...

And yes I do honor my opponents, but I figure pushing 2k luck would be significantly better than 1200 for peerless loot, just in doom the other day I used my uo statue I had 1400 luck before bushido honoring bonus pulled a ring off of a dark father with:

15 animal taming
8 str
14 HCI
13 DCI
FC 1

So I was assuming it was my luck working for me?

C

Connor_Graham

To enhance or not to Enhance:

Just got a sampire weapon (ornate Axe) with the following stats:

SSI 25
HML 57
HSL 42
DI 45
HCI 11

Im wearing a luck suit at about 800 luck with my weapon equiped currently which has 128 luck. This weapon is much better than the current one I own, should I attempt to enhance it with gold for the extra 40 luck, or leave well enough alone?
Leave it alone. 40 Luck isn't worth risking it for. It's not going to make any real difference anyway.

To the person that said luck isn't working, please include a link to the post where a Dev stated that. If you're referring to Bushido luck through Perfection, you're incorrect.

C

Credinus

To the person that said luck isn't working, please include a link to the post where a Dev stated that. If you're referring to Bushido luck through Perfection, you're incorrect.
I believe he's referring to March 13th's FoF about luck (http://uoherald.com/fof/?fofId=144). Draconi's comments at the end of the luck section basically imply that for many items, the loot tables are so out of whack that they negate the point of luck altogether.

That said, even if luck WERE fully functioning as intended, an extra 40 points is definitely not worth the risk of enhancing a weapon that good. Heck, I'd pay upwards of 10 million for that axe if it were on my shard. As a side note, just out of curiosity, did you get that axe as loot or as a runic craft result?

G

guum

Leave it alone. 40 Luck isn't worth risking it for. It's not going to make any real difference anyway.

It was a FoF a month or so back...lemme see if I can find it.

http://uoherald.com/fof/?fofId=144

All the way at the bottom...from Draconi:

I think it’s broken though. Not in the actual code, but in all the thousands of loot table definitions. A huge portion of them don’t even allow players to have more than one item from a loot definition, negating the entire point of luck! That’s not even beginning to cover the actual intensity range definitions. I’m willing to bet that the loot tables themselves are the ultimate cause of luck not working properly, and need to be reviewed.

There ya go.

edit: whoops. Credinus did my job for me.

H

HoB2009

Thanks for the awnsers guys, i was assuming it wasn't worth it.

Btw do any of you know if HLA works on mobs? doesnt seem to help nearly as much as dci when i lost some DCI for HLA seems like i got hit more.

And to the above poster this axe was looted, not created.

C

Connor_Graham

Yes, HLA most definitely works in PvM. My favorite rune blade has it, and coupled with the HLD from my glasses, allows me to tear through anything, rarely getting hit myself.

H

HoB2009

Yes, HLA most definitely works in PvM. My favorite rune blade has it, and coupled with the HLD from my glasses, allows me to tear through anything, rarely getting hit myself.
so rune blades > ornate axes currently?, I know it has something to do with whatever swing speed modifier you are lucky enough to get...
but like against dreadhorn, with no resist and his special ability obviously swing speed can become an issue.

C

Connor_Graham

As Tim the Tool Man Taylor would say...

Use the right tool for the job.

Rune blades have a faster swing speed than ornate axes, so in situations where you'll be taking huge amounts of damage that can lower your swing speed, the faster wep that still hits hard would be the one to go with. That's not saying that the axes can't do the same job, just that it could be easier with the rune blade. There's not much I can't stand toe to toe with and not have to move when I'm using my rune blade. Even with things like Red Death that hit against 70's resist at near 50 points of damage get mutilated by the rune blade. Faster swings mean more health leeched, which is the key to staying alive as a Sampire.

heqqr

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As Tim the Tool Man Taylor would say...

Use the right tool for the job.

Rune blades have a faster swing speed than ornate axes, so in situations where you'll be taking huge amounts of damage that can lower your swing speed, the faster wep that still hits hard would be the one to go with. That's not saying that the axes can't do the same job, just that it could be easier with the rune blade. There's not much I can't stand toe to toe with and not have to move when I'm using my rune blade. Even with things like Red Death that hit against 70's resist at near 50 points of damage get mutilated by the rune blade. Faster swings mean more health leeched, which is the key to staying alive as a Sampire.
For someone who uses maces, do you recommend carrying another weapons besides diamond maces ? Is there a faster mace that should be used in certain situations ?

C

Connor_Graham

For someone who uses maces, do you recommend carrying another weapons besides diamond maces ? Is there a faster mace that should be used in certain situations ?
I can't recall which one right now, but there's one macing wep that has whirlwind as it's special. That would be a good one to have. I think it's the war hammer but not sure.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't recall which one right now, but there's one macing wep that has whirlwind as it's special. That would be a good one to have. I think it's the war hammer but not sure.
The Exiler has whirlwind, but thats an arty. I forget the name of the weapon type, I believe carpenters craft it. It's much faster than the war hammer, but dmg output is nowhere near.

C

Connor_Graham

The Exiler has whirlwind, but thats an arty. I forget the name of the weapon type, I believe carpenters craft it. It's much faster than the war hammer, but dmg output is nowhere near.
That would work too, but I'd probably go with the war hammer w/30 SSI over the lower damage one myself.

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For macers, the war hammer and the black staff both have whirlwind. I may be wrong, but I don't "think" the black staff can be crafted, but only gotten as loot.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Exiler is a demon slayer Tetsubo with Frenzied Whirlwind as its primary special.

It was a Treasure of Tokuno, thus no longer spawns.

It also has 33% dispel, which makes it a great weapon for the Dark Father or other necromancer demons.

But it has no leeching, which means it isn't that good for the Sampire, but it's very decent for the wraith form warrior who loves to carry a ton of refresh potions. That was my whammy weapon of choice for Doom demons (my other weapon is an undead slayer with mana and stamina leech silver etched mace).

R

Radix

From there, find the following enemies. Use appropriate slayer weapons when um... apporopriate.
Trasher, Coil, a greater dragon, reptalon, cu sidhe, balron, succubus, paragon cu sidhe, paragon balron. By the time you kill a paragon balron, you're ready to try for the peerless. I recommend you start with Dread horn first.
This list is only orientative, or is the order correct, i kill succubus quite well but think that g.dragons will be more than a little difficult, and cu sidhe are tougher than reptalon and gd??
Looks strange.

About Weapons:
Appears that only exist Runes, Radiants and Axes. There is no other useful weapons? i like the daishos and no dachis, although only for its look ;)
Nobody speaks about weapons specials except Whirl, yes, they are mana expensive but sometimes when you are full of mana can expend some...

And... if you dont have Wirl on your weapon and get surrounded, you always can use momentum, and Momentum stryke is more damaging, is'n it?

Thanks.

(a suffering crafter ^^ )

Bman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Got to say thanks for all the help throughout this thread... I have been playing my sampire here and there since creating him.. Friday I started putting a little more time in him and working on higher end mobs...

Before I was just hitting Miasma and soloing through him failry easily... I finally set my sights on harder stuff such as the succubus in the blood dungeon. Died a couple of times down there to paragon succis, went out and did some work on my suit and crafted a new better rune blade.. went back down and finally soloed my first Paragon Succi!!

Ended up doing 3 of them without dieing.. decided to go up and check the balron... was another guy around that said a paragon balron was there and we couldnt take him.. I decided to prove that theory myself, so we headed out for him... dead he fell! felt good to smack around some high end mobs without the help of the trusty ole dragon...

Most of that credit goes to the people responding to this thread.. Thanks.

Heres the newest mages rune blade I crafted...with a gold hammer..

HML - 47
HSL 36
FC 1
SSI 25
DI 45

Im at 119 hit points, 154 stamina, 51 mana and 70/70/70/70/74 on the suit. Got 44DCI but only 22HCI plus 5 SSI on my ring. Got additional 30 DI on my suit as well.

Anyone looking for sampire weaps on LS, let me know...

I have another couple mages rune blades :

HML 31
HSL 28
FC 1
SSI 25
DI 40

and

HML 52
HSL 42
HCI 10
DI 18 This one was looted so its not a mages rune blade.. just normal rune blade with low DI.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I say for get resist, go with anatomy. If you get blood oathed, just cast chiv-remove curse. That's my feeling, anyway. :)

C

Connor_Graham

I say for get resist, go with anatomy. If you get blood oathed, just cast chiv-remove curse. That's my feeling, anyway. :)
If you depend on Remove Curse for Blood Oath, you'll end up 1 shotting yourself without Resist to counter the strength and duration of the spell when down in Doom. Not to mention the Curse strength of the Horrors. They'll drop you several ticks of swing speed.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Well, I stoned 120 resist on my sampy and readjusted his template. He's run more smoothly ever since.

Everyone's entitled to their opinions: mine is that resist isn't too useful for pvm.

C

Connor_Graham

Why did you have 120 Resist to begin with? 100 would have been fine, and could have easily swapped out with Tactics.

As far as Resist not being useful for PvM, I think most would agree with you, myself included. The only exception to that rule that most of us would say, would be Doom, where Resist plays a big part of your defense.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
He wasn't always a sampy. Used to be a pvp dueler - hence, the 120 resist. Dueling became boring after a while, so I switched him to sampy.

I've never had problems with him in Doom, though I've only used him twice there. I like archer/weaver better for Doom. I mainly use him to get peerless keys. I find melee a little dull, truthfully. :-(