• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Question) (RP Question) Royal Britannian Guard Restructure

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In a conversation with EM Kasaven about the RBG being part of factions and conversations with other RP'ers of the land, I think the following structure would be something we should consider.

1) Create individual guild stones; one for each regiment. The existing RBG guild becomes the facilitator of the RBG Alliance. RBG leaves the faction system all together. (We can address Felucca in another manner, EM agrees this is not a requirement for them and I believe it makes things difficult as well as invites drama.)
  • Captain is GM of that stone.
  • He/She can do all GM duties needed for their regiment.
  • He/She MUST join the RBG Alliance.
2) NPC Towns or Cities that have "territorial" guild claims can follow 1 of 2 options:
  • Follow the rules as #1 states, so they would also have a Captain. (Like perhaps I am sure Haven would and Umbra has today for CoD.)
  • OR, they can instead of a Captain as GM have a Diplomat as GM and act as a liaison for the RBG and the guild that holds claim to a city/town. They would also join that stone to the RBG Alliance.
3) All sub-guilds created would have to reflect RBG in thier names/abbreviations. This makes them distinctly part of the alliance.
  • If there are two towns with possibly the same abbreviation, we can think of something else that will fit.
Feedback? Questions?

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Re: [RP Question] Royal Britannian Guard Restructure

I think it makes more sense then factions. Makes it more likely that RBG can HL the RP guilds as well.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards

It should be done the same way it's done on other shards. Keep in mind this isn't just a Catskills thing. All shards have been invited to create guard regiments. I personally think it's unfair for one group to be "in charge" of it.

As far as I'm concerned it should be up to individual guilds. COD could have an offshoot called "Royal Guard of Umbra" or whatever.

Why does there have to be an alliance or an alliance leader or anything like that? I've spoken to Kasaven who's indicated that being part of the current alliance is not required. You have there that they "MUST" join the RBG alliance. Unless there is going to be fighting among the individual guilds this really isn't necessary. If this is going to be some sort of requirement in order to join in on the fun I don't think it's fair at all.

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The only reason the alliance would be created and the RBG stones would join it is purely for in game communication... let's face it, that mechanic makes it easier to communicate between various guilds.

And this does NOT change in any way the formal structure that EM's have for the RBG (found here: http://catskills.uoem.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/RBG-and-RBG-Regiment-Structure.jpg) So whatever game mechanics we use here on Catskills has to effectively match this structure. If other shards do it with other game mechanics, that's fine. As long as the core structure remains exactly the same. The only caveat to that is that the regiments for "claimed" NPC cities/towns are not officially called "Regiments", they are called "Diplomacies". But again the structure is exactly the same.

The reason I came up with this proposal (its just an idea) was because I wanted to be able to offer the inclusion of guilds that already have their own histories and territorial claims a change to participate with this role playing theme without feeling like they are not in charge of their own thing. This makes it so they are in full charge of their regiment/diplomacy and still have a method of in game communication thought alliance chat. I think we should be respectful of guilds that have long histories on this shard and this is a way to meld those histories with our new RP theme. We'd have their input and suggestions and they'd be part of it WITH us.

K

katherinepgoh

I personally don't see why an established guild that has a claim over a town should have to make any sort of diplomacy towards the Volunteer RBG (which is all that any of the RBG regiments on any shard are; The EM run Royal Guard characters are the only ones who are actually enlisted, as far as I am aware.) For instance, We (PGoH) have defended Trinsic for well over a decade now, were recognized for it by Lord British, Queen Dawn, and Commander Kainlocke...We have been established time and again as the recognized protectorate of the city of Trinsic. So why should we have to create some offshoot guild to act as a 'diplomat' when we already have ambassadorial characters within our own guild who can be approached for things like this? It seems unnecessary and trivial.

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The point is you do not "have to"... its an option for you to add your role play and history in and participate with the other RBG players. Another way to expand upon your presence.

Some of you have been around (like Katherine says) for many many years, but logistically you have to understand that there are players unaware of that history, as some of the old schoolers (MYSELF included) moved on to other games, ended up getting to busy irl and so on and so forth. This is a way to connect with those new players and give them YOUR history in YOUR own words. Not from the mouths of others which can tend to get "diluted" if you will.

Personally, I love the idea that I get to participate and tell the story of CoD in my own words to those new players here that well, may not be good at RP just yet. I know that having that interaction with other old schoolers would have been VERY nice to have as a returning player --- I made my errors in some of my fiction and probably wouldn't have if I had a way of contacting someone to sit down with them and learn from them.

The RBG player characters are not volunteers, they are put through boot camp and are enlisted. They have a rank and file structure and their commander is Olivia Kanlocke, who reports directly to the Crown. The Diplomats that would part of the RBG are selected by the guilds themselves, yes the guild's can have their own diplomats but think of the RP possibilities --- two diplomats meeting, collaborating, or ever "arguing".... I think that's a great opportunity.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards

By saying that guilds "must" be part of your alliance for "communication purposes" is simply not wanted for the vast majority of the shard. (I get this from just chatting with other people on the shard not involved in the RBG)

My posts are from talking to people. Some don't want to be "under" or even fight "along site" certain other people. (Some to don't want any part of one or two people in particular and would rather miss out on the opportunity to participate than associate with them). Others have long established guilds and are frankly feeling a bit railroaded. Not everyone wants to be considered an "RBG" but still want to be accepted as protectors and participants. Just because a guild isn't in the RBG alliance doesn't mean they are any less part of protection of cities and valued members of the defense. These people have long existed and should be respected as such. PGoH are the royal guards of Trinsic, even if their guild name doesn't say "RBG" and they aren't allied to them. Same with Aegis and Yew.

People should be able to participate in any way they want as long as it isn't disruptive to the other participants. I really wish there was less people trying to force others into a certain mold.

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Flutter, I think you have totally misunderstood the entire thing. You are getting caught up in particulars that do not matter. Whether I said "must" or not is immaterial; I thought it was a good way to keep in game communication, little else. They dont have to join if they dont want to.

The way it is now with Pitr as the "GM" of the stone and ppl having to join the RBG guild to be in essence considered part of the RBG role playing theme (its not a guild, has nothing to with guilds, its a role playing theme) doesn't give enough leverage and control to people that otherwise would participate if they had more control over that participation in the RBG role playing theme. ITS JUST AN OPTION!!!

I do not feel I am cramming anything down anyone's throats here.. I am proposing changing the CURRENT STRUCTURE (which folks are not part of today) to something that maybe they might consider being a part of because they are offered full control of it while still being part of it --- not telling anyone that they MUST JOIN. NO. No one EVER said that...

Players are allowed to bring new ideas and role playing themes into the game, that should be welcomed. My idea makes it so that it respects those who already have an established history with Catskills and offers a way to interact the old with the new. Like for example, I have no idea who you are, who your guild is, or what story you have for your character, your guild, your town (if you have one). A diplomat to the RBG would help to me understand that. NOTHING MORE.

If you dont want to do it at all, don't.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I just want to be able to kill any RBG folks that come to Aegis and act all uppity. Is that too much to ask? *grins*

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I don't think its too much to ask at all. :)

If they dont abide by your rules... I think the individual stones thing makes it easier to war individual regiments that do act all uppity!

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Or if they smell bad. Or eat all my bacon.

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

*Hides the Bacon he stole from Aedons*

The idea of Royal Guards being in different towns I don't mind and with them being different guilds I really could care less, Although small guilds collapse but that something they can worry about.

I absolutely do not like the idea of taking people from an established RP and making a new guild for diplomacy especially if that guild has to connect with an alliance as that's joining another guild and saying you are still in the same one, and even with a new character it splits event time of characters you have.

I'll leave it at that for now.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Communication Crystals and ICQ ftw! :thumbup1:

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards

The idea of Royal Guards being in different towns I don't mind and with them being different guilds I really could care less, Although small guilds collapse but that something they can worry about.

I absolutely do not like the idea of taking people from an established RP and making a new guild for diplomacy especially if that guild has to connect with an alliance as that's joining another guild and saying you are still in the same one, and even with a new character it splits event time of characters you have.

Once again the voice of reason...

V

Victoria Navarre

I will add a kind of a side note that I have noticed in other threads relating to "this town belongs to this guild" idea. Many times I have rode through Trinsic,Skara and other towns that have been claimed by RP guilds. Even in prime time they stand empty except for the occasional player running to the bank and of course the npc's. People saying "My guild has laid claim to this town for many years now,so you must respect it."

To me this is like a child that has a ball over in the corner of her playroom. She shows no interest in the ball at all unless another child comes into the room and picks up the ball. Instantly she will start wailing and screaming "Mine mine mine!!!"

I know this is off of what the OP and others are talking about but it is something that has bothered me with guild claims to certain towns.People have expected other to "respect their turf" all the while the "turf" sits empty and unused RP wise or for anything else.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Isn't that a sign of the Apocolypse?

Somewhere after the four horsemen, I think it mentions that the green pirate will be a voice of reason.

I'm sure it says it somewhere!

(I agree with Scarst and Victoria. And Aedon, but I always agree with not stealing his bacon.)

Zurhet Pebblethief

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Communication is simple create a RBG chat channel, anyone who is in a guard regiment and wants to communicate will be in the channel. If a character is busy with something else they can log out of the channel. It becomes the choice of the players not the alliance leader.

C

Corvak

Since when did you not agree with not stealing stuff, Farsight? Yar. /pirate. (Stratics, your collection of emoticons has been found lacking. No pirates? What is this!)

I'm kinda meh, whatever happens happens. I support whatever allows for more RP. Being new at this, I don't know who is who when it comes to diplomacy and the like.

Seems a bit overcomplicated. Guilds/alliances don't matter for RP, thats just internal organization (I doubt anyone not in the guild really cares either way.)

Also the EM has noted that RBG people trying to "run" a town will be told that it's a definite no. And if you want a regiment that isn't under the RBG guild tag, shoot a message to the EMs, and they'll be glad to recognize you if you're IC and serious about it. EMs would never allow any one guild to be in control of something like that, theyre there for the whole shard.

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I will add a kind of a side note that I have noticed in other threads relating to "this town belongs to this guild" idea. Many times I have rode through Trinsic,Skara and other towns that have been claimed by RP guilds. Even in prime time they stand empty except for the occasional player running to the bank and of course the npc's. People saying "My guild has laid claim to this town for many years now,so you must respect it."

To me this is like a child that has a ball over in the corner of her playroom. She shows no interest in the ball at all unless another child comes into the room and picks up the ball. Instantly she will start wailing and screaming "Mine mine mine!!!"

I know this is off of what the OP and others are talking about but it is something that has bothered me with guild claims to certain towns.People have expected other to "respect their turf" all the while the "turf" sits empty and unused RP wise or for anything else.
You know I would certainly agree with this 100%. I am glad someone said something. The only PGoH I ever see in game, actively is Rotep and even he complains about PGoH not being active. Their GM plays WoW and keeps a plethera of accounts open for just housing, never passed the stone to anyone, never cleaned up their rosters. I definately see Aedon and I believe there are no KoY left, but I do not see much of the others in the Yew area.

None the less, if they tell me they own Trinsic or Yew or whatever, fine. Give me the story. I want THAT STORY!!! I want everyone's story... But there are many people that DO NOT KNOW that and folks do not make it easy for them to get that story. Some are long and gone and others are too proud, too stubborn, too disappointed, or too unreachable to share that story with the newer players. Be more open minded. AND if you want to lay a claim to an NPC city --- remember that 1) EA owns that city so they can do whatever they want with it (hell they own you town too, your house, your account, read the ToS), and 2) do something with it!!! I'd like to see more RP events (hopefully without the need to constantly spawn mobs) in the CITIES that you all hold sooo near and dear.

C

Corvak

I'd love to see some of the RP stories I missed by joining cats too late :)

C

CatLord

16 Jun

A Helpful Guide and FAQ for the Royal Britannian Guard Regiments.
by EM Nathael

Q: Can you provide an example of the duties of proposed Royal Britannian Guards regiments?

A: Assuming there was, for example, a local Royal Britannian Guard regiment located in Britain, the RBG regiment stationed there would be responsible for defending the town of Britain and protecting its citizens against threats leveled against the town. For example, helping to repel an invasion from sinister and malevolent forces, or helping to gather specific information upon request from the Commander of the Royal Guard as it relates to a potential larger, overall threat, to the Crown and to Britannia. Local RBG regiments will likely also assist the town guards (currently NPCs) in maintaining order and enforcing town laws and edicts, helping the town guard solve crimes, etc.

Q: Will the local Royal Britannian Guard regiments ever perform duties outside of their designated areas?

A: At times, the various RBG regiments may receive orders from the Commander of the Royal Guard to defend areas outside of their normal jurisdiction. Furthermore, the Captain of the local RBG regiment may take it upon themselves to rally the troops in defense of other towns or city-states. For example, assuming there was a regiment of Royal Britannian Guard located in Britain, the local Captain of the RBG may order his troops to aid in the defense of New Haven, or perhaps a player-run town when the need is great.

Q: If players create local Royal Britannian Guard regiments, is there a possibility that EMs may create role-playing events and storylines around the guards?

A: Possibly, but there are no guarantees. We encourage players to take a proactive approach towards enhancing the role-playing and community experience for all players of Catskills. Creating local Royal Britannian Guard regiments can help achieve this goal.

Q: If players create local Royal Britannian Guard regiments, does this mean players will automatically receive special attention, items, or rewards?

A: No. Any possible EM involvement with storylines for the local Royal Britannian Guard regiments will be in direct accordance with their activity level and promoting open involvement within the community. There MAY be opportunities in the future to mimic what some other shards have done as it relates to recognizing the guards (other shard have provided sashes, for example), but the focus for the RBG should be community involvement and improving the role-playing experience for ALL Catskills players – NOT focusing on trying to get rewards/items.

Q: Are Event Moderator RPCs (Role Playing Characters) allowed to join a player’s RBG guild?

A: No, EM’s cannot join a player’s guild. *

Q: Can players join an Event Moderator’s guild?

A: No, players cannot join an EM’s guild.

Q: Can you please explain in detail how the structure of the Royal Britannian Guard is organized?

A: Yes, a guide was put together to show how the Royal Britannian Guard and various player-run Royal Britannian Guard regiments are structured. This information was put together as a best-effort means to clarify the role of the RBG regiments currently formed by Catskills players. If you have comments or concerns, please forward them on to [email protected].

While this Guide only lists the (4) current RBG regiments formed by players on Catskills, additional RBG regiments may be created by players in the future as they see fit. Players are strongly encouraged to speak with one of the current RBG regiments to find out more information regarding joining the guard, training, or creating additional RBG regiments.
– EM Nathael

* however, ems can create and join guilds on other shards.

Please check note 2.

So basically...

- RBG isnt about running towns.
- if you want to join, read the above.

and Victoria, you are precious... thank you for posting.

Zurhet Pebblethief

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I know a lot of the old books written about KoY and other guilds can be found in the Library in Istas, unfortunately the old guild web sites are long gone along with their writing in a lot of cases.

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I know it's scary isn't it.

Isn't that a sign of the Apocolypse?

Somewhere after the four horsemen, I think it mentions that the green pirate will be a voice of reason.

I'm sure it says it somewhere!

(I agree with Scarst and Victoria. And Aedon, but I always agree with not stealing his bacon.)
If you direct your attention to the sentence above my Sig that is where it says it.
Pestilence, War, Famine, and Death all say Hello and that they'll be on around 5PM, Famine ate all the funions, Death's computer died again, War is busy with a messy divorce, and Pestilence needed to call an exterminator he had a rat problem.

You know I would certainly agree with this 100%. I am glad someone said something. The only PGoH I ever see in game, actively is Rotep and even he complains about PGoH not being active. Their GM plays WoW and keeps a plethera of accounts open for just housing, never passed the stone to anyone, never cleaned up their rosters. I definately see Aedon and I believe there are no KoY left, but I do not see much of the others in the Yew area.

None the less, if they tell me they own Trinsic or Yew or whatever, fine. Give me the story. I want THAT STORY!!! I want everyone's story... But there are many people that DO NOT KNOW that and folks do not make it easy for them to get that story. Some are long and gone and others are too proud, too stubborn, too disappointed, or too unreachable to share that story with the newer players. Be more open minded. AND if you want to lay a claim to an NPC city --- remember that 1) EA owns that city so they can do whatever they want with it (hell they own you town too, your house, your account, read the ToS), and 2) do something with it!!! I'd like to see more RP events (hopefully without the need to constantly spawn mobs) in the CITIES that you all hold sooo near and dear.
I'm more disappointed/Bummed that I have nothing to do than anything complaining gives me something to do but everyone has a life. I tryied to say why they don't clear the roster I must have forgotten, it's for history sake or some such, if any random Joe returns.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

It is true that most of the NPC towns sit sadly ignored these days. I remember years ago Skara was the place to be for RP. The town came alive on certain nights of the week, and anyone looking for interaction always knew they could drop in there.

I for one would love to see a greater use of these established towns for RP. I think one of the worst things that happened to RP has been the advent of every one knowing every skill and having all the tools they ever need to be fully self sufficient.

When we stopped looking to others for repairs, having clothes made and weapons forged, we started to distance ourselves from the community at large.
Residents of Player towns did not need to go to the smithy in Brit, we all have a forge close at hand in our houses or towns.

You do not need to look for a tamer, carpenter or scribe. With the number of character slots we have we can easily fulfill our every need. We all became little islands unto ourselves all waiting in our neatly set up towns for RP to come to us.

And for a while it did. We were blessed with many large and great RP guilds, and story lines were easy to find. But as the years wore on, and large guilds splintered off into countless smaller guilds each holding title over some new area, stories began to fade.

As our gear became more and more uber, those who tried to return and become involved in plots again found themselves at a distinct disadvantage in an RP battle. So they left again.

Into the past faded the great "evil" Rp guilds. Arcane Steel, The Hand, Undead and Shadowclan. New foes who came found a lessened desire for confrontation that was not simply "I pull my sword and stick you to death." Plots which once involved many, and carried the players through weeks of action and intrigue are but a distant memory, replaced now by an odd
reluctance to play the bad guy well. And the once great catskills roleplaying community has shrunk into the shadows of their player run towns and gone into hibernation.

I found myself wondering, what is it we are all waiting for? Why do we continue to struggle along and put up a facade of stability?

I for one know Aegis is but a shadow of what it once was. Nothing I can or have done can ever bring back the glory of what was when Lord Scarecrow led the Knights of Yew. And as I go through the motions of opening the Knights Rest I wonder what it is that I am trying to achieve these days.

What is it we are all wanting out of the community?

I believe the answers are simple.

Those of us left in the RP community must consolidate.
I believe we NEED bad folks who are not afraid to be bad folks. And good folks that are not afraid to occasionally lose a fight.
I think as RPers we do not really need phat lewtz and uber gearz in RPVP battles. Not all folks have the time or gold to outfit their characters. We are after all role players.
I believe that if a person wants to try to RP, we should welcome them and offer any aid we can.
I have come to believe that a unified set of rules governing all RP guilds is far better then a collection of rules from guild to guild.

Ad most of all I believe we need to return to the cities at least two nights a month to roleplay. And i mean RP, not;

"Well hello there Beleg, how have you and the family been?"

"Well thank you. The children have grown a great deal and....Oh my Corellon, it's a giant....."

MOB SPAWN!!!!!

I know, I am rambling a bit. But the hour is late, and I have stayed up far past my time. So, I will shut up now and head off to bed. Wait, what is that in my living room. Oh bugger, it is another ...MOB SPAWN!!!!

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Aedon, that's really what I have been trying my hardest to do with my RBG regiment with my guild, CoD, and any character that I step into. And it has been TERRIBLY HARD to do when the community doesn't cooperate with either new players or returning players. I have had a terrible time to get any of the old schoolers to help me, WRITE with me, give me history and back story, and help me further the RP of this shard with a respect for the old.

When I cannot do that, I have to jump in and just do my own thing and then I get attacked for "not respecting old schoolers".... well where the hell were you all?!?!? My contact info is NOT A SECRET... its on every single post I make as part of my signature. My website has several methods of interacting, etc. etc. I invite anyone to add me to ICQ (as long as they identify themselves) and/or send me an email. I have (as YOU know Aedon) made my mistakes but I am trying... REALLY trying. And I am online, in game, doing that "trying" literally. I do not see the same committment from others that post here and attack the efforts of others and do not even have actively PLAYING accounts --- just holding housing/stone DOESNT EFFIN COUNT. You need to face the fact that if you do not actively play this game, no matter how much housing you own or how old your stone is, you WILL loose your right to say anything to this community.

I am MORE than willing to work (Aedon/Pitr/Oriana/Corvak, etc. etc. know this, if they know nothing else about me) WITH those RP'ers that are willing to ROLL UP THEIR sleeves and get their hands dirty!!! And what's that going to take?

1) STOP attacking new ideas, rather than attack --- offer ways (good or evil) to interact with those ideas.

2) New players and returning players need MORE HELP than anyone. If we get new players/returning players in their RP community willing to role play, by GOD do not shun them, embrace them! Offer your ICQ's, emails, etc. specially if you have a town/history to offer them.

3) New players and returning players should RESPECT the history of this shard and the history of those that still have a presence here. To do that effective, see #2. (Maybe we should start using UOGuide to do this --- start adding our histories there!)

4) RBG is a tool, not a guild. Its a way to interact with the EM's/EA. If we have to use GAME mechanics to facilitate it, don't automatically shun or blast the ideas. Offer options (a lot of you have in this post and that's great). I came to you for suggestions...

5) Some of you are going to have to LET GO of those old grudges from YEARS ago... seriously. Its a game, its supposed to be FUN. If someone does something to you, best way to deal with it is not pay it any attention or make a big deal of it. If I do something wrong, I apologize, edit, and don't do it again. Be guardful, yet open...

6) We need to agree that NPC cities/towns should be open to all to visit and do events with. No ONE GUILD "owns" an NPC city/town. They can claim to have territorial rights to a town that's near their own player ran one, but no one but EA owns the NPC cities/towns. NOW --- if a guild's history has a certain city/town in it, then folks need to be courteous and respectful of that and if you want to do something in that area, make sure you have the contacts for the guild that owns it and run it by them; provided they are actively playing. BE COURTEOUS!

7) Lastly, we need to get IN THE GAME and off forums. You want a say, be active. Guilds wanna say they claim a NPC city/town, get in the game and run something in that city on a consistent basis. Again, just having an activated account is meaningless. And I know RL is a b****... trust me, I've missed several bar nights at VL because of RL! BUT KEEP TRYING!!!

I am sure there is more we can all think about... be honest. You don't hurt my feelings trust me and everyone should take that stand, don't get your feelings hurt!!!

And... Aedon... IRON CHEF SOSARIA in Yew?!? ;)

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Yup, I am planning to hold it either in Yew or Skara at this time. May have to push the date back a month. So much painting, so little time. Have to get the house in order before the fall.

I will always though like and respect the history PGOH has of protecting Trinsic. It is a big part of shard history that I believe must be preserved. But an alliance, a trust in the new Queen may mean that RBG will patrol the city along side the Guardians.

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I have a lovely talk with Katherine today... and I must say if more folks did that, reached out to newcomers/returners we'd be in a better place. I got a nice piece of history from her in regards to PGoH's history after CoD moved on to Dark Age of Camelot. It certainly was nice to have an open debate with willing people and throw ideas around and get feedback...

I will certainly do my part to attend events whenever possible (and the RP allows it, being as my main character is a known vampire and all, but I do have other characters with their own story). I hope we can all just "GET ALONG"... if you've been away, reactive and join us and open your mind to new possibilities.

:heart: Pandy

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

*shakes a wooden stake at her.*

Come visit me in Aegis Pandora. We are such a friendly band of folks.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards

*delivers more wood to Aegis*

For the fire.... honest!

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In regards to Aedons mention of "Evil groups", I believe that the main reason people are less than eager to face a ruthless adversary is simply that the consequences of loss, are far to great.

Let us examine situation A.

An evil group attacks a good group. The good guys, despite a valiant effort, are all defeated or forced to surrender. Now normally, the bad guys would occupy the lands they have fought to take, wouldnt they? Or at least take jewels, gold (well with insurance thats easy) or prisoners.

But with todays mindset, I see it more as the bad guys come, violence happens, bad guys leave, good guys go back to what they were doing.

Even people who had just been stabbed, burned, poisoned, knocked out, etc. After 30 min (RP Death Robe rule), it seems that all injuries fade immediatly.

Now I have seen many incorporate injuries into their characters lives. Be it a lost eye, arm injury, whatever. But others it seems, are afraid to lose what their character has.

This has to change.

For evil RP to thrive again, we must as a group really understand what it means to witness or partake in evil RP.

Evil doesnt always mean your classic moustache twirling, evil cheesy laugh kind of guy. And it doesnt always mean the "take over the world" kind of guy (or girl) as well.

For example, I'll use Va'lis as a general idea.

World Domination? Would be nice, but no.
Power? Check. Always a good thing.
Knowledge? Once more, a good thing.

Ok, so he doesnt want world domination, just power and knowledge. That, in and of itself doesnt make someone evil. Its how they go about it, that does.

There are varying degrees of evil that make up the world. And RP is no different. To make RP once again a more dangerous place (dangerous as in, not everything goes according to plan, consequences happen, etc), evil has to have a place in it.

Ok, I think writing this post after waking up might have been a bad idea, but whatever. I think the general idea of it has been gotten across rather well.

And remember, just because you say that you are a good guy, doesnt mean that others will view your actions as good.

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And remember, just because you say that you are a good guy, doesnt mean that others will view your actions as good.

OOTS!

And I've been saying that all along there really is no such thing as good or evil considering motives.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Being good is for sissys. I am planning to off you all some day. Muwahahahahahhahahahhaah

First though, I need some minions.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you look at role playing evil from the other side of the coin, you run into the big out of character reason for nobody being evil any more. And in my opinion, the reason that role play is dieing on Catskills.

The knee-jerk reaction to an evil group who gets highlighted in Trammel is to kill the highlight as soon as someone does something rude in-character. This means that to stay warred, the evil groups have to be *rude words relating to weak and pathetic omitted*.

In Felucca, if a group tries to play evil they run into other issues (i.e. the other Felucca groups are mostly out of character, most of the role-players won't go near the place, they'd have to work really hard to be the evil-est on the block).

And non-highlighted groups wind up having no interaction because the evil options are simply gone... If Aneirin goes off to Umbra and starts killing the towns-folk, what can CoD possibly do about it? Scold him? Make funny gestures at him? Likewise, if I wanted to rob a miner in New Haven mines, what could I do? I threaten and the miner just keeps going at it without a word.

Anyhow, I'm off to the Knight's Rest to apply for a minion job. I hear he offers dental!

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you look at role playing evil from the other side of the coin, you run into the big out of character reason for nobody being evil any more. And in my opinion, the reason that role play is dieing on Catskills.

The knee-jerk reaction to an evil group who gets highlighted in Trammel is to kill the highlight as soon as someone does something rude in-character. This means that to stay warred, the evil groups have to be *rude words relating to weak and pathetic omitted*.

In Felucca, if a group tries to play evil they run into other issues (i.e. the other Felucca groups are mostly out of character, most of the role-players won't go near the place, they'd have to work really hard to be the evil-est on the block).

And non-highlighted groups wind up having no interaction because the evil options are simply gone... If Aneirin goes off to Umbra and starts killing the towns-folk, what can CoD possibly do about it? Scold him? Make funny gestures at him? Likewise, if I wanted to rob a miner in New Haven mines, what could I do? I threaten and the miner just keeps going at it without a word.

Anyhow, I'm off to the Knight's Rest to apply for a minion job. I hear he offers dental!
Dental? Really? ....No Never minioning again!

I blame the people who can't put up with losing when they see themselves as the good guys.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Wait till you see our retirement plan.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One of the things that has always bugged me in RP is that all arguments have to end in sword play.

There was a pirate I once knew. He would come into the tavern and kick up a full. He was loud, obnoxious, and insulting of most folks there. He would break into riotous song making it hard for others to hear each other speak. In other words, he behaved like a pirate.

Aedon used to handle him by plying him with rum, and at times joining in with his merriment until he tired himself out, and went home.

McDermotts Pub was likely to end in a donnybrook on some nights. Now I know it is hard to RP an actual fist fight, but it was as normal a sight as you can imagine in and Irish Pub.

In time, this all turned into;

Pirate gets drunk
Pirate insults folks
People kill pirate.

I would love to see a night in the Rest when the Pirates commandeered a table or tow and acted like a rowdy bunch of mean fresh off a boat. And no one pulled a blade unless the pirates attacked first.

*sighs* Never gonna happen.....

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One of the things that has always bugged me in RP is that all arguments have to end in sword play.

There was a pirate I once knew. He would come into the tavern and kick up a full. He was loud, obnoxious, and insulting of most folks there. He would break into riotous song making it hard for others to hear each other speak. In other words, he behaved like a pirate.

Aedon used to handle him by plying him with rum, and at times joining in with his merriment until he tired himself out, and went home.

McDermotts Pub was likely to end in a donnybrook on some nights. Now I know it is hard to RP an actual fist fight, but it was as normal a sight as you can imagine in and Irish Pub.

Pirate gets drunk
Pirate insults folks
People kill pirate.

I would love to see a night in the Rest when the Pirates commandeered a table or tow and acted like a rowdy bunch of mean fresh off a boat. And no one pulled a blade unless the pirates attacked first.

I've tryied to do something like this but bragging evidently ends in a game of maul the pirate yet I still held off everyone until the sixth person entered hehehe.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've tryied to do something like this but bragging evidently ends in a game of maul the pirate yet I still held off everyone until the sixth person entered hehehe.

*nods* Gets disappointing to say the least. When did taverns become tea halls where never is heard a discouraging word?

Maybe it is time to change the name of the Knights Rest to something less goody goody.

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dudes, I am effin glad to have posted this post, its lead to MANY GOOD DISCUSSIONS! I am loving it. ;)

Far, see I do not quit understand this "highlighting" concept. That's a new thing to me... coming from olden days when it MEANT something to "war" another guild. Does anyone remember the long "mexican stand offs" at UDL's guild tower? HOURS of pvp and good fun. That's why I refrain from warring anyone because I do not believe in just "highlighting" for the EFF of it. There has to be a ROLE PLAYING reason for CoD to war you... I REQUIRE a storyline behind it.

I think that the reason evil RP guilds decided to go "good" is NOT that they dont highlight, its that people are EFFIN LAZY! They do not role play it out...

Here is a sample, when UDL and I warred each other, we would war for specific fights, we called them "staged wars"... staged because it was like putting a threatrical show. There were several ACTS... you can call them "strikes"... that led to a declaration of WAR. All documented, posted on our websites and we even added them HERE on Stratics (Imma Supa ftw!!) for others to read and interact. That war lasted a pre-ordained amount of time, either 1 day, 1 week, I had a war last 3 months... and you set up the ROE's for that war between the guild leaders.

WHERE DID THAT ALL GO?!?

Folks need to stop being lazy... and I will contact Hawk, if he's interested, and work with him on something similar! ;) GET RDY FOR FUN!

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dudes, I am effin glad to have posted this post, its lead to MANY GOOD DISCUSSIONS! I am loving it. ;)

Far, see I do not quit understand this "highlighting" concept. That's a new thing to me... coming from olden days when it MEANT something to "war" another guild. Does anyone remember the long "mexican stand offs" at UDL's guild tower? HOURS of pvp and good fun. That's why I refrain from warring anyone because I do not believe in just "highlighting" for the EFF of it. There has to be a ROLE PLAYING reason for CoD to war you... I REQUIRE a storyline behind it.

I think that the reason evil RP guilds decided to go "good" is NOT that they dont highlight, its that people are EFFIN LAZY! They do not role play it out...

Here is a sample, when UDL and I warred each other, we would war for specific fights, we called them "staged wars"... staged because it was like putting a threatrical show. There were several ACTS... you can call them "strikes"... that led to a declaration of WAR. All documented, posted on our websites and we even added them HERE on Stratics (Imma Supa ftw!!) for others to read and interact. That war lasted a pre-ordained amount of time, either 1 day, 1 week, I had a war last 3 months... and you set up the ROE's for that war between the guild leaders.

WHERE DID THAT ALL GO?!?

Folks need to stop being lazy... and I will contact Hawk, if he's interested, and work with him on something similar! ;) GET RDY FOR FUN!

Madame, who are you? *grins*

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Pirate gets drunk
Pirate insults folks
People kill pirate.

You've done that with Aneirin, Path and Mien (as a redcap, not a pirate) on more than one occasion as well. That got frustrating too, since you never actually gave me a reason to be more rude than usual!

Avalon is also good at making me not attack her.

Good times.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hawk is interested. And damn lazy too, shame on me! I gotta work on me principles...

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hawk is interested. And damn lazy too, shame on me! I gotta work on me principles...
Yeah, interested is NOT a good principle for a pirate!
(in the event that you can't get in touch with Cap'n Pike, then try me as well. I may be available.)

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Think I'll join one of these guilds just to kill you all...

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You've done that with Aneirin, Path and Mien (as a redcap, not a pirate) on more than one occasion as well. That got frustrating too, since you never actually gave me a reason to be more rude than usual!

Avalon is also good at making me not attack her.

Good times.
Next time, remind me to stomp on your feet. *grins*

RP should contain more dialog then swordplay. Otherwise it is simply pvp loosely veiled.

Aedon actually likes pirates. He has always had dreams of being one and sailing the great seas plundering ships.