• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Resources - is 2 clients truly worth it?

What would you axe if it made the game better?

• Enhanced Client

Votes: 49 55.7%
  • 2D Client

Votes: 39 44.3%

• Total voters

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Oddly enough the poster claiming the EC UI sucks put up a thread about 5 likes and dislikes of each but never stated their own opinion, nor bothered to comment on the replies made in that thread... for SOME reason.
<laughs>

My favoring the CC over the EC is hardly a secret.

I left the posts to those who use the EC and likely have used the CC in the past. Those people have more experience with both clients.

I didn't comment because of the risk of turning that thread into an arguement. The threads that debate the CC vs the EC tend to get lively.

The thread will hopefully give the devs some ideas for producing a single UI that can make both CC & EC fans happy.

Those were my reasons. :p

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
2D is immune to time in same fashion some Disney cartoons or certain SNES games are. It is clear team once building it had ton of resources and time at their disposal. They were caking up mid 90's equivalent of AAA video game. Enhanched client has terrible colors, terrible character models, terrible everything. I'm sure people working on it are gifted and did fine enough job with that they had available. It's just that Enha client was created by skelton crew working in very difficult environment. End result looks like 8 years old Shareware game.
Enha client does have number of really good UI improvements I'd love to see in 2D. I've foud it great when lvling mining on my mule. Other than that, I have yet to run into a a situation where I'd even consider using Enhanced client. It makes my eyes bleed. Axe the Enhanced, morph some of it's UI features to 2d->happy days.

Considering how 2D has remained most popular client through, what, 3 attempts to create something better, it is bit of a shame how it consistently gets such a modest amount of love. I don't need or expect sun, stars and moon from sky but even smallest of things would be kinda neat. New login screen every once in a while lol.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Considering how 2D has remained most popular client through, what, 3 attempts to create something better, it is bit of a shame how it consistently gets such a modest amount of love.
The Devs have said in the past the code the CC is written in is hard to work with. Why they didn't just re-write the CC in the current code they prefer to work with is unknown.

The CC has held off three new UI Clients over the years. They should just accept that the Devs who wrote the CC in the 90's got it very right and put the money and man-hours into putting the ECs extra fearures that are so popular into the CC with switches to let Players pick and chose the features they want.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is a simple solution to this argument...make something only attainable in the EC like a dungeon or special mods..something ..I personally do not enjoy EC I'm a CC guy but only because I mainly pvp and pvp is near impossible to compete on the EC..u cannot cycle as fast with mages you can run as fast on dexxers..it's a complete sham..do why would anyone who is mainly pvp even remotely think its a good idea to play EC..unless everybody did..and even then I think we'd lose 40% of the pvp community to freeshards..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ultima Online: Third Dawn - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia
Ultima Online: Lord Blackthorn's Revenge - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia
Been there, done that. :next:

Helps to know UO's history.

W

Woodsman

If they have the resources to spend nearly 3 years making a completely new Ultima game with a different team, they have the resources to properly support one or both clients.

EA simply chooses not to.

Everybody can go round and round about which client they prefer or which is the only one that should be supported, but at the end of the day, EA has shown it has the resources necessary to invest in UO. It's just that they chose to put those resources into Ultima Forever.

Korik Bloodguard

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If EA is reading my threads and would like my services to improve this game somewhat from its present state while proving more cost efficient and profitable, I am open to negotiation.
Well, at least you know how to get a chuckle...

Axing a client isn't going to bring the game back to the one any of us remember, we have to make that game for ourselves.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The game already has the friggin content which is why it's lasted this long. Ultima Online has CONTENT! What it DOES NOT have is high resolution graphics to compete with other games on the market! The game has the one and is missing the other. Go read Dermott's Signature a few times and you'll get what some of us are talking about...I hope.

And on a side note: It's one thing to say you prefer the CC UI that's your opinion, your perogative and your absolutely entitled to it. It's another thing to say the CC UI is better than the EC UI. That's enters a grey area where it borders on opinion and fact. It's like saying a 100MB hardrive is better than a 100GB harddrive. Sure you may like your old hard drive and be happier with it but that certainly doesn't change the reality that one is better than the other all things being equal. Same is true of the UO UI's. The CC (1997) is clearly inferior to the EC (2007)and your saying it isn't so.
funny this more clients are currently on the CC and not the EC..so good thing everything you say is "fact"! Inferior as in what? Shadows,spells effects or graphics from 99 that they polished and shine to look original and modern? The EC client is an absolute joke..it's a polished CC that doesn't run as smooth and has a lot of pvp disadvantages due to you "cannot" cycle as fast on a Mage..maybe its because of speed hacks in the CC that EA "refuses" to ban people for..maybe it's because the EC is just not as responsive..so until the fix the client to have options to "dumb" it down to make pvp viable or somehow better than the CC..then no you are wrong the EC is inferior due to lack of players on its WOW wannabe interfaces..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk