• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Reset your houses!

• Thread starter imported_Gracie Nito
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_Gracie Nito

Sims are getting stuck while landing at properties in TC3 due to increased lag in city. Many people that are used to landing fast suddenly find themselves hanging at 16%, 35% or 50%. Rather than waiting to land they think their game is frozen and try to abort the landing. When they abort the landing their avatar is often trapped in the house they were trying to enter.

Once this happens, that player cannot land anywhere until the owner of the house they were trying to enter, resets their lot.

For years, skill house owners have bragged about how polite they are to mercy boot afk sims. Yet not one of them will reset their house to free a sim trapped from playing anywhere else.

Sometimes you can see a gray face of the avatar that is stuck in the house. Anytime I've had someone get trapped at my property I have reset my house to free their sim. It takes only 5 mins to reset the house. How about showing a little more compassion.

These trapped souls can log in and out all day and if house is not reset they will not be able to land or play anywhere.

One rude owner even told me it was not their problem and EA should fix it. I know it needs to be fixed. Hell there are alot of things that need to be fixed. But it is just plain rude to trap a sim in your house for hours and by doing so you prevent someone from playing the game!

I have now had to make it my policy not to frequent any houses that keep gray faced sims trapped in their houses. I don't want to become their next trapped victim.

G

I completely agree with Gracie on this one. I mean come on, its just the polite thing to do.

T

Tristan Lewis

Just so you know the owners/roomies usually are not aware that there are sims traped until someone lands and asks about the gray face. Ive had it happen at my skill house the person never shows up on the roomie sim but say 5 hrs after opening i decide to skill another sim i land at that house to see there is gray faces. So i gotta say its not fair to bash the owners/roomies because sometimes thay dont know. Just like when my sim Leather Thong landed at Gracies Garage Sale on Friday night you probly werent aware that a grey face was on my end.

G

<blockquote><hr>

One rude owner even told me it was not their problem and EA should fix it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they are saying it's not their problem and EA should fix it, then they are probably aware of it.

M

MandiK

I totally agree. I have done it for other people, and I wish people would do it for my sims, lol. I have tried to enter a house early in the day, and got stuck, then not been able to use the sim I wanted to use for the rest of the day because the house never closes...lol. I understand they have a full house, but you would think people would want to be more helpful.

N

names

May i refer to your post from another thread were you bragged about
afk sims that get carnapped and show up for work. how you help put them out of their misery by luring them on to the tracks to be killed by an exploding robot

lmao hope you never land at your colleagues home as you may get stuck looking at pics from sims vacation' all night,, as a return of the favour. lol

more seriously though

As regards to this thread I would totaly agree with you players should always care for each other.

makes you wonder why sim hours are so important to some players as it take only a few seconds to reboot

I

imported_sedusa

Some of us did not know that grayed out sims were trapped sims, I am one of them, but I know now. And, I do agree it is the polite thing to do to reload your house, isnt it also the polite thing to do to ask your current guests (especially if you have very many) if they mind? I am a bit torn by reloading a house to save one sim when there may be 20 or so who are doing fine, does that seem fair to them? Dont get me wrong I do think its the kind thing to do, but it is a dilemma for some when they have many guests, and plus you have some guests that will linger longer then they need to just because they dont want to go along with it.

N

NightFlyer

The sims there can come back when the lot is reset.

The stuck sims can't go anywhere, not even another lot, if it is not reset.

I think it is worth it to reset the lot.

How would you (general you) feel being stuck on a lot not able to play all day because someone is so hungry for a few extra minutes of VH (and that is all it would take, minutes) that they won't reset the lot to free your sim?

Just my 2 cents.

G

Yeah!

And so Gracie doesn't have to deal with my bickering for an entire day.

For example, TODAY!

When my main sim was unusable for hours.

On the matter of weather Owners should leave to save the soul..

I think the owners should reset the house if they are asked to do so. If the picture of the sim's head stays grey, they aren't logged on. When they are online, their face shows in color.

Then again, most of the time the sim that is trapped doesn't remember where they were trying to go when they got trapped.. So I guess a simpler solution would be if the face has color, and you right-click the head, and it doesn't take you anywhere, you should ask them if they need assistance.

Then again, what if they are just hiding?

This could go on for infinity.

I'll stop here though.

G

I agree, its better to kick out 25 some sims so 1 person can actually play rather than be stuck going no where.

K

Keep It Real

<blockquote><hr>

Sims are getting stuck while landing at properties in TC3 due to increased lag in city. Many people that are used to landing fast suddenly find themselves hanging at 16%, 35% or 50%. Rather than waiting to land they think their game is frozen and try to abort the landing. When they abort the landing their avatar is often trapped in the house they were trying to enter.

Once this happens, that player cannot land anywhere until the owner of the house they were trying to enter, resets their lot.

For years, skill house owners have bragged about how polite they are to mercy boot afk sims. Yet not one of them will reset their house to free a sim trapped from playing anywhere else.

Sometimes you can see a gray face of the avatar that is stuck in the house. Anytime I've had someone get trapped at my property I have reset my house to free their sim. It takes only 5 mins to reset the house. How about showing a little more compassion.

These trapped souls can log in and out all day and if house is not reset they will not be able to land or play anywhere.

One rude owner even told me it was not their problem and EA should fix it. I know it needs to be fixed. Hell there are alot of things that need to be fixed. But it is just plain rude to trap a sim in your house for hours and by doing so you prevent someone from playing the game!

I have now had to make it my policy not to frequent any houses that keep gray faced sims trapped in their houses. I don't want to become their next trapped victim.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets hope this issue is pretty high up on the "fix it" list. I have played all weekend and saw many trapped sims, shame those sims are unable to play because of this problem. RESET those houses please.

G

Wow, such a simple thing to reset a lot.

What selfish mofos these non resetters are.

I hope a bug ruins their game play.

Yeah I'm vicious and small like that.

G

The other day, I decided to visit Gracie in the Garage. Usually I stay in Dan's Grove, but that day I decided to venture out. When I tried to land at the Garage, it stuck at 16% (which it has never done to me before, btw), so I thought I was frozen. I x'd out of the game. Upon reentering TC3, I tried AGAIN to land at the Garage, but it said my sim was still on the lot, so I im'd Gracie and asked her. She said I wasn't there. I tried to land at my own house, but couldn't.

Gracie stayed with me in im, making sure whether I landed or not. When I couldn't land anywhere, she THEN SHUT DOWN HER HOUSE JUST SO I COULD LAND.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

I agree that having to reset your lot is a nuisance. Many people need to understand that TC3 is a test center. During the original beta test, resetting a lot was common place. There were many bugs that caused us to have to reset lots and our guests were very understanding.

I didn't mean to sound that anyone that didn't reset their lot was rude because I know in many cases people are unaware that they have a trapped sim at their house or the ramifications of that gray face.

However, as a community, I feel we should help to educate those around us as to the problems they may be causing by not resetting their house.

If an afk guest gets booted and is upset about getting booted when I reset the lot.....

Who is really in the wrong here? The afk guest for not being understanding or the home owner?

G

i didn't see you as coming off as rude

i think some people just don't like your upbeat attitude

I do.

S

Salli

ty Graice i'm trapped
i think it was in a logic house... However it loggin out as i was in sim work.... not been able to play.. ty 4 lettin us no about the grey faces i did wounder what it meant

M

Meggers

I was trapped at a house called Cooking with Friends. I told the roomie about it and she reset her lot to allow me back in the game. Homeowners and roomies also need to realize that when you have trapped sims on the lot it makes the lag a lot worse too.

G

If the owner won't reset their lot you have no choice but to wait until it gets reset? Why can't you just end the program and start over . . .will your sim still think it is at that house?

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

If the owner won't reset their lot you have no choice but to wait until it gets reset? Why can't you just end the program and start over . . .will your sim still think it is at that house?

[/ QUOTE ]

No Rach. This does not free your sim. Your sim is trapped in the house until it closes.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

No Rach. This does not free your sim. Your sim is trapped in the house until it closes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a stupid and possibly unrelated question. when I had the issues with my sim getting stuck on a property a few weeks ago, was when I was also getting stuck in the "verifying" loop from city to city. I had decided to go to another city when I was having the TC 3 issues. So is it possible there is connection between those two bugs, or is it two random bugs @ the same time coincidentally.

(This is me avoiding doing my real life work)

I

imported_sedusa

Off topic a bit....
Gracie is cool, she is always willing to here opposing sides. I value her input!

I

imported_Qute Pi

I had this problem happen to me in TC3.
One of the Dev's took 2 minutes to "shake me" out of it...

I can't imagine this is a hard problem to fix. Lets hope they do...

G

<blockquote><hr>

I agree, its better to kick out 25 some sims so 1 person can actually play rather than be stuck going no where.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am kinda like sedusa, I am torn on the issue. For any category house than skill, I'd say yes I would reset the house 100% of the time, and my guests could come back after I reset....where I would be torn is if I had a skill house, because of the AFK skilling we have going on. Many people go afk to skill, and only come back to hit the 'I'm back' button. What if you reset the house immediately after one or several of them had hit 'I'm back'.....that would mean that those sims would be kicked out for 10-15 minutes until they came back to realize that they were not skilling peacefully like they thought they were, they are looking at the neighborhood screen and going 'wtf?
' and consequently have lost that time skilling, and if there are enough of them in the skill house like that that will not immediately return, you could have issues getting the skill speed back up to 118%, particularly in a city like TC3 that is not as busy as it was when it first started. That's the issue I see with resetting the houses habitually. Do I think it's fair that sims can't land anywhere else when this happens? No, absolutely not, but if they read these boards then they know not to abort those landings like that and bear partial responsibility for getting themselves stuck in the first place. If they don't read Stratics and therefore don't know this issue or how to avoid it, then again that's their responsibility for being ill-informed......so yes, if possible I'd make every attempt to fix the situation for that person, but if I was running a skill house where the guests immediately returning would make or break the skill speed, I'd have to weigh that against that one person that was stuck on the lot.

Just my two simoleans

G

so you want to be responsible for 1 person not being able to play the game at all???

Pfft, see if i ever come to your lot.

G

<blockquote><hr>

so you want to be responsible for 1 person not being able to play the game at all???

Pfft, see if i ever come to your lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

But would I be solely responsible, or would that person bear part of the responsibility for not knowing how to avoid that happening to start with, and what about the enjoyment of the other 24 or however many people there are on the lot....which person's rights outweigh the others? As I said, if it was a situation that I knew everybody was there to know what was going on and could make the decision of whether or not to immediately return after I reset, I'd do it without problems, even if some guests bitched about it. Where I'd have question would only be in the skill house situation where some guests would be caught unaware of what was going on and would not have the opportunity to come back immediately.

Also too, suppose it was a busy skill house.....and skill speed was not an issue, but you reset the house, and 20 out of 25 of your guests were immediately able to come back, but 5 were afk, and since the house is high up on the list, you almost immediately had 5 more sims come in and take the spots that would have belonged to the afk sims, so that when they came back, assuming that they are NOT breaking any rules overriding timeout, they find that not only have they lost that 10-15 minutes of skilling, but they cannot get back into the house because it's full, and possibly my house is the only one open for that particular sim. So now I've robbed 5 people of the ability to play to allow the 1 person to play. Which is more fair?

That's a purely hypothetical situation, but what I'm saying is that it's not a black and white issue in my mind....it would have to be looked at situation by situation, so to say that *any* house owner that doesn't reset is being rude and selfish is just looking at it with tunnel vision.

G

ttl

I'm sitting here watching a stuck sim die because the roomies of the skill house refuse to reset. It takes all of what? Two minutes if that to reset a house, yet they don't bother because why? Because they are afraid the afkers might lose 10 or 15 minutes worth of skilling? I don't think that is a good reason. If you skill afk, I would say you should expect to come back and find yourself floating from time to time, I know I often do and it's not a big deal. The only reason I'm staying in that house right now is because I want to max cooking and TC3 is pretty much dead. There is little to choose from in skill houses and finding speed is damn near impossible these days. I'm sure if a house resets, it won't be long before it's busy again.

You can't put the blame on sims trying to land and giving up. That is not the only reason these greyed out sims happen. This one dying isn't even the same thing at all. TC3 is loaded with bugs, crashing, errors, and omg the lag... it's just so much fun these days, but I figured I'd best skill before the skill houses go broke and give up altogether...

G

not soley responsible, but if you know, then you carry more than half of the responsibility

G

<blockquote><hr>

ttl

I'm sitting here watching a stuck sim die because the roomies of the skill house refuse to reset. It takes all of what? Two minutes if that to reset a house, yet they don't bother because why? Because they are afraid the afkers might lose 10 or 15 minutes worth of skilling? I don't think that is a good reason. If you skill afk, I would say you should expect to come back and find yourself floating from time to time, I know I often do and it's not a big deal. The only reason I'm staying in that house right now is because I want to max cooking and TC3 is pretty much dead. There is little to choose from in skill houses and finding speed is damn near impossible these days. I'm sure if a house resets, it won't be long before it's busy again.

You can't put the blame on sims trying to land and giving up. That is not the only reason these greyed out sims happen. This one dying isn't even the same thing at all. TC3 is loaded with bugs, crashing, errors, and omg the lag... it's just so much fun these days, but I figured I'd best skill before the skill houses go broke and give up altogether...

[/ QUOTE ]

Bolding done by me for emphasis, because you just re-enforced my point probably without meaning to. Before I call those roomies selfish or jerks or anything, I'd have to wonder if the house in question is near its max cap, how many people are afk right now, and the most unknown, if the house is totally full, how many people are sitting on their mouse button waiting for the number to fall one below cap so they can slink in. That house is in jeopardy for the situation that I described above to happen......yes the afk'ers should expect to be floating every now and then, and if I was in their shoes and I could get right back in when I got back from afk, then it'd be no skin off my nose to lose the 10-15 minutes skill time. What would piss me off is if I came back to find that not only had I lost that 10-15 minutes, but the house is now at max capacity, so that I will lose however much time I'm gonna have to stare at the screen waiting for the number to drop down for me to TRY to get in, hoping that my connection speed is faster than the other guy who might have also been afk at the time and is now doing the same thing I'm doing so we're competing for the same spot. It just all depends on what's going to be best for the most people, on whichever side of the ledger. You can't screw 10 people over to help out 1, but you shouldn't leave that one guy twisting in the wind locked out of the game if fixing his problem isn't going to screw anybody else in the process. Surely somebody here understands what I mean?

G

either way, if you know about someone being stuck and you don't reset your house, that makes you more responsible than anyone else at that given moment.

if someone told me they were stuck on my lot i would reset immediately, its just he polite thing to do

G

Sorry, but I wouldn't care how many of them are afk, if the house needs reset it should be done. If I found myself floating and couldn't get back in because the house was full, I'd only have myself to blame for being afk to start with.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Sorry, but I wouldn't care how many of them are afk, if the house needs reset it should be done. If I found myself floating and couldn't get back in because the house was full, I'd only have myself to blame for being afk to start with.

[/ QUOTE ]

she's right.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

she's right.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if I am understanding you two correctly, you're saying that if you were in a full and busy skill house and had 1 person who was stuck, and you asked the house if anybody had a problem with resetting, but only 10% of the people responded you'd go ahead and reset and leave the other 90% of the house to chance and let them fend for themselves to get a spot back in, even if there were no other skill houses open for your skill as in CG's example, basically having the 'tough [censored], if you don't want that to happen then don't go afk while skilling even though skilling is like watching paint dry and it's not against the TOS to go afk as long as you don't override timeout'? And I'm rude and inconsiderate because I'd weigh the rights of 90% of a full house vs. 1 stuck person?

Please tell me I'm misunderstanding your position, because this truely does not make sense. Understand that I'm only talking about skill houses here....in cases of other houses where people would not habitually afk because things are more engaging, then I definitely WOULD reset, even if the majority in the house protested, because they would then have the option of coming back if they wanted to, or going somewhere else if they didn't. I just don't understand why you two seem to be taking such a hardline defense of the 1 stuck person vs. an entire house of probably afk sims, particularly when this is a very well known issue and most of these 'sticking' situations can be avoided with the excersising of a little bit of patience (ie not aborting landing at a property just because you 'appear' to be stuck'). I am in no way saying that I would say to that stuck person 'You idiot why didn't you read Stratics to know how not to get yourself into this situation, tough break kid', but nor would I turn my back on the majority of a full house like that to fix that person's problem without getting feedback from the people in the property that I was responsible for. If we're talking about portions of responsibility, then it's just clear to me who I'd have the bigger responsibility to.

G

what are you talking about, i wouldn't ask,

i would flat out tell them i am resetting the house for a stuck sim

if they don't like it, tough

G

<blockquote><hr>

what are you talking about, i would ask,

i would flat out tell them i am resetting the house for a stuck sim

if they don't like it, tough

[/ QUOTE ]

So screw the needs of 29 because of the predicament of 1?
Mmkay....whatever you say. If there are other skill houses open with the same skill I am doing, I might agree with you......it's not all about wanting to keep visitors for my own house, for me it'd be an issue of if they can't get back in my house, do they have *somewhere* else to go that will be able to give them what they need. The answer to that question would determine whether or not I'd drop an entire house to correct one person's issue. If the answer is yes, then maybe I would. If the answer is no, that those people would have NOWHERE else to skill their skill if they could not get back into my house after they got back from afk, then no, I would not drop the entire house for that one stuck person. In your opinion, that makes me selfish.....in my opinion the attitude you have makes you unsympathetic toward the greater number of people. You know what they say about opinions....

G

29 people who can get into other lots and continue to play the game vs. 1 player who can't play anything at all cause they are stuck on you lot.

sounds to me like you don't want to take responsibility.

I

imported_LFancey

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a stupid and possibly unrelated question. when I had the issues with my sim getting stuck on a property a few weeks ago, was when I was also getting stuck in the "verifying" loop from city to city. I had decided to go to another city when I was having the TC 3 issues. So is it possible there is connection between those two bugs, or is it two random bugs @ the same time coincidentally.

(This is me avoiding doing my real life work)

[/ QUOTE ]

Jackiee TC,

Unrelated issue. One is a avatar lease error and can happen in a few ways that we know of one of them is if you don't let your avatar land. The other issue a few weeks ago was broken hardware much like the problem today.

Cheers,

Lee

G

How would you feel about this subject if you happened to be that 1 stuck sim who couldn't land anywhere until the house you are stuck at resets? I bet you would be feeling differently about those others in the house who are still able to play, those others that would possibly be inconvenienced for a couple of minutes, where as you, being stuck out, could be left in the cold, so to speak, for hours and hours, because some houses never reset until maintenance. They seem to have round the clock roomates who can keep it open all hours. The greyed out faces build up, and the lag gets worse. They would actually be doing everyone a favor by resetting rather than thinking they must stay open regardless.

G

<blockquote><hr>

29 people who can get into other lots and continue to play the game vs. 1 player who can't play anything at all cause they are stuck on you lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I do take responsibility, I just have a different allocation for my responsibility than you seem to feel I should.

Kind of a side note, but if that happens to a person, then would that only affect that particular sim on that particular account, or would that person not be able to play ANY of the sims on that account, or worse, not be able to play on any other accounts that they have? I ask that because you make it sound like jeopardizing any number of those 29 other players from being able to get back into my skill house, bearing in mind that in our scenario it's the only skill house open of my skill at the time would mean that that player could not play at all, but it occurs to me that that is not the case, that more likely it would just mean that that player could not play in TC3, or just could not play that particular sim in TC3 until the house was reset or closed. If I really did not want to take responsibility, my attitude would be "OH GOODIE! I'll close the lot and reset it and if people don't come back I'll just use that as an excuse not to have to host and I can go off and do something I really want to do." I go back to my original statement. My responsibility as owner or hostess of my house is to ALL of the guests in my house, or at least the majority, and I feel I'd be shirking a large portion of that responsibility by screwing the majority of the players over to bail out a player who may or may not have been able to avoid getting him/herself into that situation to begin with. The way you have it set up, it's a lose/lose situation.....there is no way to win. Either I do what you suggest and say screw you all, come back if you want to, don't if you don't, which helps that one person but gets the rest of the house in an uproar, or I go with what would benefit the greatest number of my guests which would probably piss the one that was stuck off if what I had to do didn't work in his favor, and I'd have the good graces of the rest of the house but disdain in yours and CG's eyes.

Pardon me, but if I'm gonna lose either way, I'd rather go with the latter....it's all about how much weight you give said people's opinions

G

so you want to be responsible for 1 person not being able to play at all rather than kicking out some ppl that can get back in???

that just sounds mean to me.

G

<blockquote><hr>

How would you feel about this subject if you happened to be that 1 stuck sim who couldn't land anywhere until the house you are stuck at resets? I bet you would be feeling differently about those others in the house who are still able to play, those others that would possibly be inconvenienced for a couple of minutes, where as you, being stuck out, could be left in the cold, so to speak, for hours and hours, because some houses never reset until maintenance. They seem to have round the clock roomates who can keep it open all hours. The greyed out faces build up, and the lag gets worse. They would actually be doing everyone a favor by resetting rather than thinking they must stay open regardless.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing about me is I'm not addicted to a single sim. If the house I was at refused to reset, I might have 'Grrr dammit!' moment, but then I'd either choose to play a sim in another city, or if I had another account with a sim in that city I'd play that one, or if for some strange reason (since I actually do have more than one active city usually so this wouldn't be the case) I only had one sim and not being able to play in that city meant I couldn't play at all I'd *gasp* go find something else to do for a bit!
That goes back to another subject though that I've always had this position on....if you put all your eggs in one basket so to speak, or all your energies into one sim or one city or even one game, then you're setting yourself up for frustration IMO. Having a backup plan or a fallback position eliminates alot of frustration and blood pressure being risen for me. This game at one point and time WAS the center of my online universe, and I made one sim the center of my sim existence.....so I speak from experience, and like you say when the game, or that city was down, or I couldn't get into a skill house for a skill that I needed I was miserable, cussing at the computer, and IMing people left, right and center sometimes asking them how I could get around this issue or that issue. I had to come to a place where I realized the world does not revolve around me, and if I'm miserable because I can't do what I want to do, or be where I want to be, you can bet there's probably a dozen or more people who are just as miserable or even more miserable than I am.

So, whether you believe it or not, if I was in the position tonight, or tomorrow, no I wouldn't feel any differently......at least not when I thought about it, I might as a knee-jerk emotional reaction if I spoke before I thought. When you think about it rationally though, the big picture, at least in game terms, is what matters to me, so no matter what you say it will not make sense to me to potentially disconcert 29 people for the benefit of 1. If it doesn't matter to them either way, then yeah, I'd help that 1 person out.

And actually I think this is a good time for me to bough out of this discussion unless somebody else says something new that hasn't been said, because two things are plain to me at this point.....one: you two are never going to see things from my point of view or understand why I even feel the way I do, and two: there's more to this issue and your disagreement with me than the surface of this issue implies, which makes it personal and inappropriate to continue in that regard. So on that note, goodnight you two

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I do take responsibility, I just have a different allocation for my responsibility than you seem to feel I should.

Kind of a side note, but if that happens to a person, then would that only affect that particular sim on that particular account, or would that person not be able to play ANY of the sims on that account, or worse, not be able to play on any other accounts that they have? I ask that because you make it sound like jeopardizing any number of those 29 other players from being able to get back into my skill house, bearing in mind that in our scenario it's the only skill house open of my skill at the time would mean that that player could not play at all, but it occurs to me that that is not the case, that more likely it would just mean that that player could not play in TC3, or just could not play that particular sim in TC3 until the house was reset or closed. If I really did not want to take responsibility, my attitude would be "OH GOODIE! I'll close the lot and reset it and if people don't come back I'll just use that as an excuse not to have to host and I can go off and do something I really want to do." I go back to my original statement. My responsibility as owner or hostess of my house is to ALL of the guests in my house, or at least the majority, and I feel I'd be shirking a large portion of that responsibility by screwing the majority of the players over to bail out a player who may or may not have been able to avoid getting him/herself into that situation to begin with. The way you have it set up, it's a lose/lose situation.....there is no way to win. Either I do what you suggest and say screw you all, come back if you want to, don't if you don't, which helps that one person but gets the rest of the house in an uproar, or I go with what would benefit the greatest number of my guests which would probably piss the one that was stuck off if what I had to do didn't work in his favor, and I'd have the good graces of the rest of the house but disdain in yours and CG's eyes.

Pardon me, but if I'm gonna lose either way, I'd rather go with the latter....it's all about how much weight you give said people's opinions

[/ QUOTE ]

as a former Top Skill House Owner and roomie at Top skill homes,,i agree to this as well,,each occurence should be looked at individually,,,after reading all the posts it seems that it only is affecting that one sim that was aborted,so the person could use another sim from that account especially in TC3,to play with,,,,the end has to justify the means,,and knowing all of this UNLESS i was contacted by the sim in question i would not reset a full lot for 1 sim,,a few times i have started to land at a home to realize that a RL need had to be fullfilled and couldnt play for the rest of the day anyways,,i would hope a Skill home would not reset their full house and then me not even log back in to play,,i would feel guilty for ruining other sims game play due to my lack of attention to RL time

G

<blockquote><hr>

and knowing all of this UNLESS i was contacted by the sim in question i would not reset a full lot for 1 sim,,a few times i have started to land at a home to realize that a RL need had to be fullfilled and couldnt play for the rest of the day anyways,,i would hope a Skill home would not reset their full house and then me not even log back in to play,,i would feel guilty for ruining other sims game play due to my lack of attention to RL time

[/ QUOTE ]

That is an angle too that I had not thought of. Many people when game errors happen look at it as a *sign* of sorts that maybe they shouldn't be playing at that particular moment anyway, and decide to do something else with their time, so particularly if you're not even contacted by the affected sim I surely would not take action unless that stuck sim was causing a SEVERE lag issue even for people on high speed connections, but even if I *was* contacted by the affected sim, I would look at the other circumstances as I've said, such as how many people are afk and therefore would not be prepared to jump immediately back into the house and therefore would very well jeopardize not only the 10-15 minutes s/he would lose by being temporarily booted, but perhaps *their* entire morning/afternoon/day of skilling would be thwarted by that person who very well could have gotten themselves in that predicament through their own impatience/carelessness. Those speaking out for that one person seem to be forgetting about the ones who are truly innocent....those whose plans would be thwarted through NO fault of their own, when they were playing totally by the rules, provided they were not overriding timeout. Why should they have to pay for somebody else's mistake, and why in the name of the SimGod would it be the property owner's/hostesses' fault and/or responsibility that that 1 person's plans got screwed up as opposed to the multiple people's plans who would/could have gotten screwed up if the hostess had made the opposite decision?

Nope, sorry, I'm not swayed by the 'that means that person can't play the game AT ALL' argument, because it doesn't......it just means they can't play *that sim* for however long it takes for the property to be reset. It's not the owner/roomie of the house in question's fault/responsibility if the affected player is monofocal in their game play, only having that 1 sim in that 1 city. That's no different than the plethora of people who come on the boards shouting because 1 out of our 10 cities are down. OK.....if 3 or more are down, then there's a slight possibility that all 3 of your chosen cities for your sims could be down at any given point.....I'll grant you that. But any less than that and there is *always* an alternative to coming here and crying about it. No, I don't think I'm the one as Ronin suggests who doesn't want to take responsibility here.....this goes back to the same old thing with some people here seeming to want someone else to make them happy, or cater to what they want, and if you don't give them what they want, then all of a sudden it's a board full of petulent 2 year old's throwing kicking and screaming temper tantrums.....I swear sometimes you can see the visual effect reading some of the posts, or am I the only one that gets that visual every now and then? I'm an odd sort, I'll freely admit it, so maybe it's just me?

G

I gotta side with Carrrie on this one. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one. Also I probably wouldnt worry about it if the stuck sim didnt contact me to let me know they had a problem. That said, if more sims kept getting stuck, I would be more inclined to reset.

Sure I'd like to help folks but is it really right to hurt all the others? What if when everyone is trying to get back someone else gets stuck? Whats the reset limit before I finally give up and live with gray sims? If I do it for Mary Sims wont her BFF get mad if I wont do it for her 5 minutes later? What if I dont know someone is stuck, am I condemned for all simternity as a mean sim who wont let people play?

I predict that they will fix the problem before the above questions can be fully answered.

K

Keep It Real

<blockquote><hr>

I gotta side with Carrrie on this one. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one. Also I probably wouldnt worry about it if the stuck sim didnt contact me to let me know they had a problem. That said, if more sims kept getting stuck, I would be more inclined to reset.

Sure I'd like to help folks but is it really right to hurt all the others? What if when everyone is trying to get back someone else gets stuck? Whats the reset limit before I finally give up and live with gray sims? If I do it for Mary Sims wont her BFF get mad if I wont do it for her 5 minutes later? What if I dont know someone is stuck, am I condemned for all simternity as a mean sim who wont let people play?

I predict that they will fix the problem before the above questions can be fully answered.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you would end up losing your "SIM OF THE MONTH" status for simternity.........or not.

M

MandiK

I totally do not agree that 'the needs of many outweigh the needs of one'. Those 'many' sim can come back as soon as they wish, can play all day if they want. That one sim cannot log in for the rest of the day. And I have lots of sims I play in TC3, dont get me wrong, there isn't just one I like, but one of the days I was stuck, I was determined (and finally morivated) to get my promotion at my sim job and wanted to do it THAT day (I was at a skill house when I got stuck, trying to come in before work time). It was something I had planned and wanted to do that day, and it sucks when your sim gets stuck at a house that NEVER goes offline, and no one will reset for you, even when you message them. Thats what I wanted to do that day. I think the people that wont reset to help someone out are people rather insensitive.

G

I have been reading this thread and I have to agree with most on here. Resetting a lot to free up a stuck sim is only the polite thing to do. Not everyone who plays has multiple accounts and that 1 poor stuck soul could be their only sim they have to play with. So why make that poor person suffer all day and not be able to play? Just to "gain hours" for what??? There is no property bonus in TC3 anymore so resetting your house will only cost you a couple of minutes... are house hours that important that you can't have compassion for your fellow sim and free them so they can play again????

As far as AFK'er's go.. they are only there for 15 minutes before they get booted anyway.. any longer then that means more then likely they are doing a no-no to keep their sim there. How do you think they would feel if they came back and their sim timed out because of being afk and ended up getting stuck? I'd rather reset my lot to free up anyone who is stuck.. most people would understand and appreciate knowing that if THEIR sim got stuck, that someone would do it for them so they can play too.

I myself only have 1 sim in TC3 and I know if I got stuck, I'd be more then appreciative if someone reset their house just to free me up. I would be more inclined to return to that house later just because of the compassion the owner/roomies have for fellow sims.

R

Roger Wilco

<blockquote><hr>

so you want to be responsible for 1 person not being able to play at all rather than kicking out some ppl that can get back in???

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep

<blockquote><hr>

that just sounds mean to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
People want to get into the busy ones, and don't give a flip if the owners are nice or not. Matter of fact, years ago when I ran a #1 skill house part of our gimmick was being rude and abusive to the guests. Not that our gimmick mattered, people lined up to get in because it was open &amp; busy. That's what matters - nothing else.

Resetting an almost empty lot makes sense. Resetting a packed skill house for 1 person would be pretty stupid.

G

TTL

A couple of points occurred to me reading this debate.

1. Does the *stuck* Sim count as a visitor.....are they blocking other Sims from landing on a full lot?

2. Is this like beta, when avatar leasing errors and lag, seemed to cascade on a lot once they got started?

3. If the lot is really busy, then isn't it a good thing to reset and let those trying to get in, do so, if the afk'ers do not return?

4. How much obligation does a property owner have to baby sit the Sims of people can't be bothered to operate their own game? With mercy boots, serenades, not resetting to *protect* their afk status.....when do we stop playing their Sims for them?

5. Isn't taking care of the needs of *all* your visitors (because the one in limbo, is just as much your *visitor* as the one afk) part of the challenge of running a busy lot?

Having played and observed the social dynamics of this game since the beginning, I have seen a rather annoying drift to ass-kissing for 'visitor hours', that should have stopped now that they no longer count, but hasn't. No one was this conflicted during beta and the first year.

In the beginning, being AFK for more than a potty break would get your butt booted from the property without hesitation or apology!
In fact they used to do head checks....calling everyone's name...no answer = immediate boot.
Heck...just blocking the dishwasher because you were distracted with IM's, would get you booted from a busy lot!

I don't think it is just a coincidence, that most long time players think the first year of this game, was the best year.