• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Question re: dealing with the exploit...

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

<font color="red"> Im not really sure what the big deal is here? Discount the month to PAYING subscribers due to faulty programmer errors. You cant charge for us sitting here while you fix what you should have fixed before you put this game online and charged REAL money for it. So....Fix the bug, you know who did it, Ban and Cancel them, take all they had, divide it up between all paying accounts. Problem solved, lets get back to EA Land Improved part II, with a $2.50 discount per paying customer for having to wait so long. $9.95 per 2 accounts is what I pay, so I can sit here and not play the game I paid for? Come on... Discount the customers for this...! </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG LOL, and I thought I was having withdrawals. Dude... go to TC3 and pretend that your in Ea Land for a few hours.

G

OMG. I want my .33 cents now! That is all i need to be able to buy that multi-million dollar home in rl! So... has it been deposited yet? lol

I think people need some prozac in here. It's a game. It's a game in BETA! Stuff is going to happen that is out of our hands (God i would be scared of the game that WAS in our hands). Go to TC3, hang out with all the others from EA-Land who are there, and have fun. EA-Land will be back up when it's back up.

<font color="purple"> </font> Besides, colors are cool... lol

G

I just posted this in another thread but thought it worked well here...

With all of the horrible statements going around... who is to blame... it made me think of a great R.E.M. song (If you don't remember REM... god i am old.. lol)

*singing* It's the end of the world and we know it... and I feel fiiiiiiiiiine

G

<blockquote><hr>

<font color="red"> Im not really sure what the big deal is here? Discount the month to PAYING subscribers due to faulty programmer errors. You cant charge for us sitting here while you fix what you should have fixed before you put this game online and charged REAL money for it. So....Fix the bug, you know who did it, Ban and Cancel them, take all they had, divide it up between all paying accounts. Problem solved, lets get back to EA Land Improved part II, with a $2.50 discount per paying customer for having to wait so long. $9.95 per 2 accounts is what I pay, so I can sit here and not play the game I paid for? Come on... Discount the customers for this...! </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

24 hours of consecutive downtime in a 30 day period is not worth anywhere near a discount of $2.50. more like 33 cents a day. You wanna go make a stink about getting your 33 cents, have at it, it's your right....but bear in mind it is also the right of others to sit back and marvel at how cheap you are to make a big deal out of 33 cents.

G

You see, I would rather have them give us a weekend of 247% skilling. Now that would be nice. Do it on the weekend so most people could take advantage of it. To me, that is better than 33 cents... lol

Heck 247% skilling for a weekend is worth at least a buck... lol

G

<blockquote><hr>

You see, I would rather have them give us a weekend of 247% skilling. Now that would be nice. Do it on the weekend so most people could take advantage of it. To me, that is better than 33 cents... lol

Heck 247% skilling for a weekend is worth at least a buck... lol

[/ QUOTE ]

We already get the skill spikes for a few hours most weekends. I don't feel its necessary to have it for a full weekend, people would get their sims skilled up too quickly and then have little else to do. Let's be happy for what we're getting and not make the devs make something up to us that we as a collective group caused to begin with (we, the players in general since the exploiters are *or were as I hope it is* players). The devs fixed things swiftly and succinctly, for that they deserve a pat on the back, not a bunch of greedy people going "OK how are you gonna make this up to us".

Not totally directed at you Duncan, maybe you were kidding with this post, but there are many people who really do think the devs owe them something when the devs are not what caused this fiasco.

G

Considering how easy it would have been to just simply roll back the game and make it so that everything that happened over the last couple of days never even happened, I'd say the devs have bent over backwards to keep the impact caused by a greedy few at a minimum for everyone else.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Considering how easy it would have been to just simply roll back the game and make it so that everything that happened over the last couple of days never even happened, I'd say the devs have bent over backwards to keep the impact caused by a greedy few at a minimum for everyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

INDEED and considering how much skilling could have taken place over that period of time, that'd kinda be like -247% skilling. When you look at it that way, it makes asking for more than the gift we've already been given seem kinda.....wrong? selfish? greedy as we accuse the exploiters of being? What's the appropriate word here.....*ponders*

G

Yes, i was kidding. The dev team went above and beyond what they could have done just to get the game back up. They saved the rest of us from having to redo whatever has been done in the last few days. They did a fantastic job and they owe us nothing.

Maybe they should give us all .33 simoleans... lol

Yes, that also is a joke.

G

Well what i meant was 33 cents in game... not 33 cents worth of simoleans. lol

G

<blockquote><hr>

I hope it was! That would be 333 simoleans, tyvm.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you walk up to an ATM and click on it you'll see that, before fees, you're given 4550 simoleans if you spend $5. So technically, 33 cents worth of simolenas would be 303 simoleans, not 333. Can't have extra simoleans in the economy, can't we?

G

Well the problem with posting is you can't tell if it's a joke or not... you can't hear the tone in my voice showing I was kidding. The dev team owes us nothing. We owe them. If it wasn't for them, this game would not be around.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Well the problem with posting is you can't tell if it's a joke or not... you can't hear the tone in my voice showing I was kidding. The dev team owes us nothing. We owe them. If it wasn't for them, this game would not be around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true, which is why I overuse emoticons most of the time so you can tell teh diffrence between a
and a
or even a
. I hardly ever use the
but have been known to use &lt;sarcasm&gt; &lt;/sarcasm&gt; tags or *tongue in cheek* to signify sarcasm.....because sometimes even when it IS readily apparent there are people who won't pick it up, so the sarcasm tags or *tongue in cheek* helps in those cases. LOL

S

smplyslpng

Ok so I'm sure this has been asked 100 times but I can't find the answer. I belong to a lot that roomies participated in the exploit. I want to know how thats going to affect things, our lot, thier membership, will they still be my roomies? Will they be banned and our lot will suffer becus of thier actions? Will things revert to normal? Are they being given a chance to come forward and be salvaged from a brutal sim death? How are thier actions going to affect the lot if they are banned? If an owner is banned, will the lot pass to someone else or will we be roomies on a lot that is owned by "no one" because the acct was banned?

Thanks for any help w/these questions.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Ok so I'm sure this has been asked 100 times but I can't find the answer. I belong to a lot that roomies participated in the exploit. I want to know how thats going to affect things, our lot, thier membership, will they still be my roomies? Will they be banned and our lot will suffer becus of thier actions? Will things revert to normal? Are they being given a chance to come forward and be salvaged from a brutal sim death? How are thier actions going to affect the lot if they are banned? If an owner is banned, will the lot pass to someone else or will we be roomies on a lot that is owned by "no one" because the acct was banned?

[/ QUOTE ]
Actions against their accounts, if any, cannot be discussed here.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]Very good questions. And unfortunately I don't have answers for you. I would assum if they are banned for life, they would be deleted. Thus, the ownership of the house would be passed onto the next in line. You would lose any objects that were owned by these sims on your lot though. In reality I think it's a bit early to worry about this. Give them a couple of days to figure out what is going to happen.

In case you want to get away from this drama... i own a skill how that is opening very soon. If you want to become a roomie there, I will gladly have you move in.

G

thanks miltion. I though it was against the RoC rules to discuss something like this.

G

Let's see if we can get this thread back on topic: more about how the exploit was dealt with and less about the simolean equivalent of the real dollar value over the downtown that will never be reimbursed or future discounted because the user agreement never makes a claim that it will be.

<blockquote><hr>

I am curious...is the current response to the exploit which occurred today the standard procedure for dealing with such attacks, is EA-Land in serious jeopardy?

First, the introduction of a large amount of cash into the game was supposed to have triggered an automatic (and presumably, immediate) shutdown of EA-Land. It didn't happen--which is okay, there are some bugs that might need to be worked out.

If the response however, is to manually try to sanitize EA-Land every time this happens (by remediation of objects, moneys, etc.)...we're going to be spending an awful lot of time offline--not to mention the manpower needs that EA will have just to check logs and clean up the db).

Certainly too, the hackers will learn that large infusions of money will trigger a response and simply change their MO to introducing smaller amounts--less detectable amounts.

I don't know how many people are out there with the skills and knowledge to accomplish the programming feats necessary to create "artificial" EA wealth--but I suspect that there's quite a few. This is certainly not going to be the last attempt to mess with the EA-Land economy, anyone can figure that out--but are we going to be spending days offline every time some clown decides there's an easier way to make Simoleans than working in the city or at money houses?

I realize that discussion of the methods of the exploiters is not permitted, however, I'm wondering if some kind of explanation of what occurred is possible--so that we may be informed players? We don't need detail, just what to look for. I'd like to know how these guys were spotted to begin with, what did they do that was suspicious--so that we all may be quicker to report hinky behavior.

(edited for grammar and syntax)

[/ QUOTE ]

S

smplyslpng

Well I understand that, I mean it makes sense. But its frustrating to those of us who belong to houses ASSOCIATED with the exploits. I really dont care if they are banned or whatever. I just want to know if I should be looking for a new house to live in? I've worked hard to build the properties I'm a roomie on and now, becuz more than one house i belong to was involved, Im fearing loosing everything I've worked for. Sure I'm next in line on two different houses to become owner, but what good is it to own a house without any objects? I'll be basiclly trying to rebuild everything. Anyhow. I know there won't be any answers here to I guess i'll join the crowds of peeps in game waiting to see what happens next.

G

Sorry to say it but that is all we can do. Wait and see. From a post earlier you are allowed to talk in general about bans and stuff but can't talk about specific things.

C

calvinscreeksim

simple question, now that the exploit was fixed and the accounts were found out...are the guilty banned? suspended? or just money taken away and left to attempt to find new loop holes in the game to feed their greed?

G

Parizad said in one post yesterday they would take more than they gained from the exploit. For making them work to fix it. I am not sure what they are doing. If they have been allowed to stay in game. They best be looking over their shoulder. The devs are not stupid!

G

They may be drunk and/or over tired... but they are not stupid. We can speculate over what is going to happen but the end result will be up to the dev team. I am sure they will do whatever it takes to make sure this doesn't happen again.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Well I understand that, I mean it makes sense. But its frustrating to those of us who belong to houses ASSOCIATED with the exploits. I really dont care if they are banned or whatever. I just want to know if I should be looking for a new house to live in? I've worked hard to build the properties I'm a roomie on and now, becuz more than one house i belong to was involved, Im fearing loosing everything I've worked for. Sure I'm next in line on two different houses to become owner, but what good is it to own a house without any objects? I'll be basiclly trying to rebuild everything. Anyhow. I know there won't be any answers here to I guess i'll join the crowds of peeps in game waiting to see what happens next.

[/ QUOTE ]
NOIP
What's the matter with you people?
This poster isn't asking about specifics regarding the banned accounts - he is asking what effect the bans will have on his lot and roomate status.
If that isn't "dealing with the exploit", then none of the other posts in this thread are either.

Smplyslpng: If I knew the answers to your questions, I would answer them, but I don't. And since it seems no one else is willing or able to help, I suggest you contact one of the devs (Parizad would be best).
Good luck.

S

smplyslpng

Thanks, Its frustrating to not know whats happening when it DOES directly affect me. I love the game and have no plans to leave, but those of us that are roomies to the offenders should be able to get some answers somewhere. Thier actions affect us, our properties, and our reputations.

G

Duncan offered you a place. The reason I did not reply is I know what I would do, if I were you. I would move and distance myself from the exploiters.

I figured that would be most peoples response. If you have not lost anything, I do not see what the problem is. Sorry, if I misunderstood. How are you directly affected by this other than being a roomie of an exploiter?

S

smplyslpng

I'm affected becuz thier repution joins that of the house is 1 part. 2 if they get banned but thier sims aren't deleted then i'm stuck as a roomie in a house that has "no owner" so to speak, 3 if they get banned and deleted then i have to try to rebuild a huge house cuz we loose all of thier belongings, or 4 i need to find a new home, anyway you look at it, what they did affects how i play the game and affects my sim.

G

Best suggestion is for you to do whatever will make you happy. If finding a new house where they already have one built up will make you happy, go for it. If you want to stick it out and wait to see what happens, by all means. It does affect you and I understand that. What you have worked so hard to do is now up in the air. I would suggest getting as far away from them as possible even if they are still allowed in the game. My offer to you is still good. I am looking for good roomies. If not, no worries.

S

smplyslpng

Thanks Duncan, I haven't decided yet. I'm actually giving them a chance to come talk to me and see what they say. I play as a roomie, not an owner, becus I don't know the game well enough to be owner. Anyhow. Time will tell and I'll let you know what i decide to do.

G

No worries. Just wanted yo uto know you have options. Hit me up in game. My sim name is Duncan MacCloud (Yeah I know... so original... lol)

I hope the best for ya.

S

smplyslpng

Because I've spoken to him. Only enough to know he took advantage of the bug, not enough to know whats happening now.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
NOIP
What's the matter with you people?
This poster isn't asking about specifics regarding the banned accounts - he is asking what effect the bans will have on his lot and roomate status.
If that isn't "dealing with the exploit", then none of the other posts in this thread are either.

Smplyslpng: If I knew the answers to your questions, I would answer them, but I don't. And since it seems no one else is willing or able to help, I suggest you contact one of the devs (Parizad would be best).
Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Surprisingly, I agree totally. I think smply's post was not OT, nor were any of the responses to it.....but then we don't make the rules on what is OT or not OT I guess

G

<blockquote><hr>

simple question, now that the exploit was fixed and the accounts were found out...are the guilty banned? suspended? or just money taken away and left to attempt to find new loop holes in the game to feed their greed?

[/ QUOTE ]

You know we can't talk about action we may or may not have taken against accounts...

G

<blockquote><hr>

Thanks, Its frustrating to not know whats happening when it DOES directly affect me. I love the game and have no plans to leave, but those of us that are roomies to the offenders should be able to get some answers somewhere. Thier actions affect us, our properties, and our reputations.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're not the homeowner, I would highly recommend that you find a new place to live.

G

Wow if that wasn't a hint, I don't know what... lol. Parizad always finds a way to get us the info we need.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

You know we can't talk about action we may or may not have taken against accounts...

[/ QUOTE ]

I can understand that you can't talk about *specific* bans/suspensions as far as giving out names and details, but I think it would put some of our minds at ease if general numbers were given.....as in we caught X number of people in this exploit and X number of them were banned and X number of them were suspended as a first warning. That's not violating anybody's privacy because you're not saying *who* got suspended/banned, only that they did.

Anyway that's my two simoleans....a statistical count would give the community an idea of how well the issue was handled, sort of like a financial report to invenstors....just as a system of accountability.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I can understand that you can't talk about *specific* bans/suspensions as far as giving out names and details, but I think it would put some of our minds at ease if general numbers were given.....as in we caught X number of people in this exploit and X number of them were banned and X number of them were suspended as a first warning. That's not violating anybody's privacy because you're not saying *who* got suspended/banned, only that they did.

Anyway that's my two simoleans....a statistical count would give the community an idea of how well the issue was handled, sort of like a financial report to invenstors....just as a system of accountability.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's just killing you guys that you don't know and can't wag your fingers, huh?

It is making me giggle.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

It's just killing you guys that you don't know and can't wag your fingers, huh?

It is making me giggle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Waggin fingers hell I think some people are planning something that rivals Blair Witch LMAO. No seriously for me I don't care who was banned or suspended individually, but it'd be nice to know that 'x' number of exploiters are out of our game for good, that's all.....I long for the day that we are totally free of ill-willed avatars but I doubt that day will ever come

S

smplyslpng

I dont want to wag anything, except maybe a my puppies tail. I just want to know what to expect as far as ME and MY sims are concerned. I've given up on that so now I'm just gonna wait and see what happens.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I dont want to wag anything, except maybe a my puppies tail. I just want to know what to expect as far as ME and MY sims are concerned. I've given up on that so now I'm just gonna wait and see what happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Parizad said this to you:
<blockquote><hr>

If you're not the homeowner, I would highly recommend that you find a new place to live.

[/ QUOTE ]

Duncan added:
<blockquote><hr>

Wow if that wasn't a hint, I don't know what... lol. Parizad always finds a way to get us the info we need.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it was me, I would start looking now. When I was in DC when it first opened and was booming, I was second in line for a house like you. The house owner canceled her account. We had an island that we all pitched in to buy. EA did not remove that owner for 6 months, by then I was long gone but for a few weeks I ran that house without being able to change anything. Very frustrating.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

That quote from Parizad sounds like sound advice to me, especially since she holds an *official* title even though she's not a dev directly....she's in direct contact with them and knows what they are thinking and doing on certain levels, so I think I'd follow that advice. If you're worried about having to start over, I am sure there are members of the community that would be willing to help you get on your feet. I know I would, just PM me your EA Land sim name and I will get together with you. My main sim has more money there than she needs really since TC3 is where I've expended the most energy. Anything we can do to help you get out of that situation I'm sure there will be people that will help you do it.