• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(PVP) Holy Fist...

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
sounds to me like the holy fister lovers are just mad cause they spent a lot of cash making gimp temps lolz
Yeah this is exactly it along with being probably the easiest, overpowered template there is.

I mean, who doesn't want to do 48 damage with only two spells in less time than a flame strike which is a two second delay.

I know the chiv masteries were going upwards of 60m for a while.

The biggest issue out of all of this, is they implemented another "fix" with no testing or feedback.

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes and like with most things PvP a few weeks after it's nerfed they will find a new Gimplate of the Month.
I'm sorry, where do you pvp? What gimp templates have been popular lately?

Just a casual observation, you tend to get interject totally worthless and baseless comments in most pvp threads until someone calls you out and points out the very obvious facts: you don't pvp, you don't know what you're talking about, you just try stir the pot and bash pvpers.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm sorry, where do you pvp? What gimp templates have been popular lately?

Just a casual observation, you tend to get interject totally worthless and baseless comments in most pvp threads until someone calls you out and points out the very obvious facts: you don't pvp, you don't know what you're talking about, you just try stir the pot and bash pvpers.
I probably do more than you know and I know more players that PvP than you know. So while I don't PvP all the time... I did for a long time... Until I got fed up with the cheating and the attitudes. There have always been Gimplates of the Month. Once one hears how wonderful it works for one guy next thing you know there are 200 one guys. And yes I know enough PvPers to know the ones who after being beaten by someone spend the next two weeks reinventing their entire character so they can never die to that guy again... Or taking his idea and twisting it to their own needs to make some even more powerful gimplate until that's nerfed.

CCCP Orion

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I think there should be a bit more thought put into these changes for chiv/holy fist from the pvp team/balancers... or whoever is making these final decisions. Just throwing a 35 dmg cap on abilities truly guts the game in a sense and makes it feel rigid.

The current state of Holy Fist does seem a bit extreme, BUT I do think there have been some good suggestions made in this thread that perhaps should be taken a look at and molded into whatever your final balancing decisions decide to be.

- Extend the cast time
- Interruptible
- Reduced Damage Output
  • Scaling damage down certainly, but not to 35 Hard Cap, if the ability has increased cast time from its current speed and made interruptible... 35 dmg cap is overkill. Ultima Online is a game of timing. There should be rewards for hard hitting abilities at max skills/karma. If you need to cap it.. reconsider the figure, 40, ~42. Something like this. There has to be a reward... a want, to even play this template. The gamble you take casting this ability and others (Flamestrike for comparison), and your enemies leaving it un-interrupted; should reflect a bigger price to pay (in dmg)... this feels more intuitive.

• Those comparing it to being faster than a Flame Strike and doing more damage have valid points, I agree even. If Holy Fist is tuned to the cast times of 'hard hitting spells' i.e Flamestrike (maybe a minute % faster because of 4/6 casting).... it becomes fair for both sides. Keep the damage in the mages favor of course because you are still dealing with the holy warriors' weapon.... But this change inspires a choice between the pvp templates. Rather than the foul taste in your mouth hearing Hard Cap 35 and already not wanting to invest the time into creating this template.

Don't butcher, inspire... my2cents

Last edited:

dukarlo

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It doesn't matter if they fix Holy Fist or not. The problem with PVP and and UO in general is the trashy player base. Whats left of the playerbase gravitates to the gimp template of the month and every possible cheat they can. Its not just the pvpers that cheat either. Trammys are just as bad. There are so few players left. As far as pvp goes its all about speed. Many of the people in this very thread act as though they are the authority on pvp when they are the ones destroying it by the rampant cheats and their behavior in chat. Their is nothing that will fix this game as long as the playerbase is as trashy as it is. Yes holy fist is lame, but its really the least of this games problems. Cheats fill every aspect of UO. I get tired of the argument that "well everyone else does". Everyone else does not, its just that those that don't cheat tend to lurk rather than pvp or just no longer play. I tend to think the reason that a lot of people still play this game is because of the permissiveness when it comes to cheating.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
It doesn't matter if they fix Holy Fist or not. The problem with PVP and and UO in general is the trashy player base. Whats left of the playerbase gravitates to the gimp template of the month and every possible cheat they can. Its not just the pvpers that cheat either. Trammys are just as bad. There are so few players left. As far as pvp goes its all about speed. Many of the people in this very thread act as though they are the authority on pvp when they are the ones destroying it by the rampant cheats and their behavior in chat. Their is nothing that will fix this game as long as the playerbase is as trashy as it is. Yes holy fist is lame, but its really the least of this games problems. Cheats fill every aspect of UO. I get tired of the argument that "well everyone else does". Everyone else does not, its just that those that don't cheat tend to lurk rather than pvp or just no longer play. I tend to think the reason that a lot of people still play this game is because of the permissiveness when it comes to cheating.
Well since they failed on putting Punkbuster in years ago, I just assume they fix something, starting with holy fist.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The problem with PVP and and UO in general is the trashy player base. Whats left of the playerbase gravitates to the gimp template of the month.....
I hate to break it to you, but this has always been the case. At least since I started playing.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hate to break it to you, but this has always been the case. At least since I started playing.
Same for me. 4/6 & 5/6, Nerve Strike spam (when you couldn't break out of it), Word of Death, etc. There's always going to be gimp/overpowered templates and setups, no matter what game it is.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
So was this nerfed and if so how?
Holy fist was capped at 2.5 second and increased mana from 40 to 50 in publish 96.

Previously damage went from ~50 uninterruptible to being interruptable and capped at 35 damage.