• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Production Shard PvPers Can't Handle Siege

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Hey Rico! Good news! You say your a PvPer and there's a PvP tournament in the works! Can't wait to see ya in the arena! Since you can PvP on SP in a few weeks you should have no problem throwing together a "PvP thief" in a week on a regular shard! This should be great!

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What? You think we can't handle Siege? You know what? Eight of us who have never been to Siege before will xfer over tonight and begin training skills and acquiring weapon and armor pieces.

We should be ready to pvp in about 6-8 months.
i have some basic LRC leather suits made up (human/elf, and some Gargoyle) and i have some studded suits as well. let me know what you want and i'll help as best i can.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey Rico! Good news! You say your a PvPer and there's a PvP tournament in the works! Can't wait to see ya in the arena! Since you can PvP on SP in a few weeks you should have no problem throwing together a "PvP thief" in a week on a regular shard! This should be great!
So does this tourney allow hiding, stealth and stealing to be used? Can a contestant disarm steal items? Is insurance going to be eliminated? ...la

Izzy MBC

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
When PvPers go about killing randoms on Siege, do they do so in a sportsmanship/RP format?

My perhaps narrow take of 3 stages, Examples:

1) Do they just storm in off screen as soon as they see your blue name, obliterate you, (Maybe even throw in some insults, "git gud skrub"), steal your best stuff and move on?

2) Do they storm in off screen, say something merit-able, kill you in a sportsmanship manner (give you a chance if you are actually as helpless as you appear because maybe you're starting out), ultimately slay you, then res you, say congrats on the good fight, give you at least some of your stuff back and move on?

3) Do they walk up and proceed to go all In-Character RP, tease you a bit and add some RP reasoning for their aggression, proceed to attack you in an RP fashion with their PvP friendlies RPing on the sidelines? Finally, Res you, give you your stuff back (or even just some stuff), and everyone goes their way?

If it's 2 or 3, then it's worth the time. If it's 1, then it's non-existant Player sportsmanship that's not for me. Ultima Online makes it possible to be an *******, but there's many ways to play a game that enables you to kill people, take some of their stuff, and everyone still has a fun, exciting experience.

Indeed, these are unwritten rules, but when lots of people choose Option 1, that's when all the other types of Character styles are driven away. Hence the world of problems with making an open free-for-all MMO these days, too many immature *******s who dig their own grave (Well, every ones grave as the MMO suffers) because they literally can't comprehend the long term effects of their unscrupulous rampant actions.

Long Ramble
I'm going to have to google for some Studies into this, because it's clear to me that the Maturity of a playerbase is not the only requisite for a healthy playerbase. You need people that basically aren't nutters; who lack empathy, and exhibit
narcissistic tendencies etcetera. Their moral compass surely won't interest them in options 2 and 3...

Perhaps this is a flawed conclusion, but I'm sceptical their is actually more 2's and 3's than 1's. Only because, if there often is and has been, chances are Ultima Online "would still be on Pub16" to this very day.

... I'm now thinking that maybe I am forcing a portion of the PvP playerbase to play the game how I think they should play (Or adjusting their style of player), and technically I am (well, wishing for it, can't ever actually enforce). But it's a sacrifice I would take if it means the Shard thrives, every character type and personality co-exists, rather then the Shard dies. There were times in the past when PvMers had to exhibit self control, for example; not just charge into any old Mob spawn which was already occupied by another PvMer. It's respect, you don't just start attacking "rare" or important spawns without at least asking the PvMer who's already working it - you wait and take your turn.

Simple manners and maturity, apparently "impossible" self-control for some. I digress.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To be honest, there haven't been too many jerks on the shard for some time. Sure there have been in the past but recently, no so much...la

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Right now, Siege is a very friendly place.
Case #1 may happen, special when we get new WannaOwnSiege kind of players on the shard, however they rarely last for long as they after the first few dry looting of their victims will see them self run out of gear faster than they can loot useful stuff and they will find the community less helpful when they need something.

The PvP'ers we have now enjoy a good fight, they don't really kill for the loot unless you have a bad reputation and deserve to get looted.

Newbies may get killed without RP but most times it's just the PK's way to say welcome to Siege. I had seen newbies get a nice starting suit, money or access to a box in the PK's house but I had altså seen newbies get dry looted and res killed if they start yelling of the PK for killing them, before they know if he is going to loot them.

Right now, we could need a little more PvP actions on Siege. We see PvP in VvV battle towns and around the Eodon Moongate but we rarely see looting at this fights.

I can't promise you, you won't see case #1 as we have a lot sleeping PvP chars and when one of the non UO servers close, we may see them back to live on Siege, but most of them do choose Atlantic over Siege.

Izzy MBC

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Well, I've been playing Siege for at least a couple of hours now, and I haven't seen a single soul to be honest. Been running around Moonglow, Britain and Yew via moongates (To get Spellweaving), so a lot of back and forth, harvesting materials. It's kinda fun playing a fresh character again, and as it appears, no possibility of buying skills so it's from scratch every avenue - which is fine.

Maybe later this evening I will bump into someone yet; discover which of the 3 Options I might have to endure. If I am approached - depending on the dialogue/vibe - I may request a duel with them, even though I can't possibly win right now :)