• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Production Shard PvPers Can't Handle Siege

I Actually PVP

Adventurer
@TheScoundrelRico and @Tanivar if you guys want to prove what awesome pvpers you are, i'll gladly set up a fight with you on Atlantic at wrong valley, farms, the arena, test center, or even a UO:R free shard. No rules, no set temps, bring whatever you feel like I just ask that it's in a defined area (I'm not interested in looking for stealthing thieves or your crafter who's gathering resources in some random place with a recall macro set).

I'll uninsure my suit for it too so we'll be playing on your super challenging rule sets.

That should end this thread pretty damn quickly.

We all know Siege sucks, it's not challenging, it's just boring as ****. Thanks for playing the game, I'll take your uninsured crap whenever you want now.

...la

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It's not being afraid to lose stuff.... it's not scared of PvP or a fight...

My big problem with Siege is what's the point? What is the point of working hard to get stuff... if someone just comes along and kills you one time and takes it all away? What then was the point of all the work of getting it in the first place.

And if you don't wear it and just lock it away in a house no one will ever see...
Why bother? Honestly.... I fail to see the point.

Yes it's harder and more challenging to raise your skills and gather resources etc... but since I honestly would rather NOT PvP... or have to fight anyone... I fail to see the point of working at something for several min, hours, days whatever to have someone else come and take it. And while yes theoretically one could "Take it back" or take stuff from others... I just don't see that as "fun" gameplay... to ruin someones elses fun.... and take their hard earned stuff isn't "fun" to me.

And then I get told it's all about the "fight" well having stood just outside the wall of Tokuno in nothing but newbie clothes talking to someone who was showing me around and.... got ganked... killed... I fail to see where this was either a "challenge" or "fun" for the person who killed me. I personally didn't care since I had nothing to lose... but still... what was the point? To say they killed someone? To get a murder count (I didn't give one)....? What? Certainly wasn't for the "challenge". Infact the person who killed me didn't even bother to say anything at all and just left afterward.

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's not being afraid to lose stuff.... it's not scared of PvP or a fight...

My big problem with Siege is what's the point? What is the point of working hard to get stuff... if someone just comes along and kills you one time and takes it all away? What then was the point of all the work of getting it in the first place.

And if you don't wear it and just lock it away in a house no one will ever see...
Why bother? Honestly.... I fail to see the point.
Because it's not about "stuff".
It should never have become about "stuff" on production shards either.
Before Age of Items and insurance came along, and before the mirror world gave us a big easy button, people played and enjoyed being in a virtual world. A world where people were responsible for their actions and where friendships and enmities felt as though they really meant something. People played for the sheer adventure of it.
There is some vestige of the old UO remaining on Siege and that's why people still play there.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Use Detect Hidden/Tracking, the two skills the game provides to counter the two skills Hiding/Stealth and stop whining. You want to find people and do them in as a playstyle? Then train the needed skills, you poor wittle frustrated twammie :( ...
Funny thing is, i DO have a char with GM Detect Hidden/Tracking, and have used him in PvP. So i have practical, working knowledge and experience on how GM Detect Hidden/Tracking compares to Hiding/Stealth. GM Detect/Tracking looks like a counter to Hiding/Stealth on paper, but when you actually use them, you'll see why it's not practical.

Detect Hidden/Tracking have a longer cooldown than Stealth, with Detect Hidden/Tracking having a 10 second cooldown, and Stealth having a 4 second cooldown. So you can pop a Stealther out, just for him to immediately re-hide and stealth, and you can't use Detect Hidden again for another 10 seconds. Conflag Pots also have a longer cooldown than Stealth. If you go to cast Reveal to pop him out (which Detect Hidden applies to), in between the time that "Wis Quas" pops up, and the targeting reticle appears, the Stealther would have moved out of the detection radius, especially if he's in a fast moving form or used Shadowjump. Not to mention Smoke Bombs or Shadowstrike (although, Stealth Melee are nearly extinct).
Even GM Tracking has a rather short range to initialize a track on someone (1-1.5 screens), and the tracking arrow is slow to update. You can use Detect Hidden/Reveal/Conflag Pot/Explosion Pot right smack dab where the arrow pointed, yet still miss because that's where the stealther was...2 seconds ago.
Oh, plus GM Detect Hidden/Tracking have less than a 50% chance to succeed on a Stealther with above GM Stealth, especially if he's an Elf. The Ninjitsu Mastery "Shadow" makes it even harder to detect them.
Even between a GM Detector/Tracker, and a Stealther, the odds are heavily skewed in favor of the Stealther.

Basically, the funniest use for GM Detect Hidden/Tracking is with your own Stealther. So you can troll other Stealthers by following them around and making them pop out of hiding due to passive check, just to annoy them or hope that they get popped out right smack in the middle of a group so they get ganked before they can run and hide again. The real funny thing is, that won't work on Siege, since passive detect checks by players are turned off on Siege... It's a Stealther's Paradise.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It should never have become about "stuff" on production shards either.
Before Age of Items and insurance came along, and before the mirror world gave us a big easy button, people played and enjoyed being in a virtual world. A world where people were responsible for their actions and where friendships and enmities felt as though they really meant something. People played for the sheer adventure of it.
There is some vestige of the old UO remaining on Siege and that's why people still play there.
Really because most the folk I've seen are sporting some pretty high end suits.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@TheScoundrelRico and @Tanivar if you guys want to prove what awesome pvpers you are, i'll gladly set up a fight with you on Atlantic at wrong valley, farms, the arena, test center, or even a UO:R free shard.
I've never claimed to be an "awesome PvPer" dude, I'm a survivor, not a killer. Remember what I've said above? I'm a Gatherer/Crafter, set up to avoid being killed by a PvPer, To go out and do useful work in the wilds of our lands and get home with it alive is what I'm into. Not killing others. Thats your mug of ale, not mine.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Funny thing is, i DO have a char with GM Detect Hidden/Tracking, and have used him in PvP. So i have practical, working knowledge and experience on how GM Detect Hidden/Tracking compares to Hiding/Stealth.
kk, a qualified PvPer with the two skills has spoken, it's not likely to work worth a *bleep* on hunting stealthers. The Devs should at least adjust those cooldowns so they match, not handicapping one of them. PvP in the case of stealthers needs balancing.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For many it is all about stuff.

There are probably some billion gold suits out there with every advantage it's possible to stuff on it. I have heard stories of them for years. Apparently they make a great compensation for lack of ability at PvP. Sadly they also make the really competent PvPers nearly invincable so new PvPers can't compete with them. Probably a main reason so many don't even bother trying to PvP, they'd be years building up the gold to buy the matching gear.

Peekay

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Last I checked, Siege was full of people from various servers who got fed up with not being able to spawn any west coast server, so they moved somewhere they thought certain people wouldn't find them.

*cough* Scumbag Inc from Baja *cough*

And then after bringing everyone they could talk into moving there, making nothing but mystic gargs and abusing the single most powerful summon ingame on a mass scale, on a server dominant where RCs will 2 shot people. They thought they "got better", came back once or twice to get stomped and then haven't been heard from since. Although their forums indicate that they still take themselves very seriously over on Siege.

If siege actually becomes worth playing though, I have about 6b gold sitting over there just rotting, a long with a few dreads and bane dragons.

Bo Bo

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
blah blah blah 1990s west coast crap blah blah blah
If siege actually becomes worth playing though, I have about 6b gold sitting over there just rotting, a long with a few dreads and bane dragons.
Since you dont play siege, why dont you tell the Bo where your house is with all these gold checks locked down. would love to see it. Bo thinks you are confused between b and m or you just a bm?

Balinor of Pk?

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love how the Rico noob says, "Come to Seige, it's hard to play here and you can't hang." Then she says, "I play a thief." HAHAHA Ok, so you PVP on this thief? Because I haven't died to a thief in like... ever... and I've played since beta. Maybe once when I was on my mage and regs were still required and a thief got lucky and stole my heal regs. But that was a different time. You'd NEVER kill me on a thief, Seige, production, doesn't matter. Or any other character for that matter I'm sure. I die like once every 6 months to 5+ on 1 ganks where they get very lucky, and are usually a group made up of the best pvpers left in UO. Which you aren't a part of, or you'd be pvping on production shards, instead of hiding on Seige where no one plays. Noob. ;)

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would play on siege if they reverted it back to 99..I'd even play my dp thief again.

Ohhh..Garlic!! *Yoink* oops DP has found you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peekay

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Since you dont play siege, why dont you tell the Bo where your house is with all these gold checks locked down. would love to see it. Bo thinks you are confused between b and m or you just a bm?
Yeah, sure. Right after you become relevant enough for me to give a **** about.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because I haven't died to a thief in like... ever... and I've played since beta.
I guess reading is hard for you. PvP is the abbreviation for Player versus Player, it is not the abbreviation for Player Killing Player.

I do have to hand it to you, you've been killed by a thief. BRAVO!!! For most of us thieves, the goal isn't to kill other players, it's to steal items from other players and get away with them. Again, I am sorry you have such a tough time with reading. This post had nothing to do with me...la

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Well honestly Rico can do his thing wearing only a death robe if he wants so he's not losing/risking anything. All a thief needs is people to wander around. Thus the thread.

Last edited:

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I love how they made this PVP callout thread and then it turns out none of the Siegers in question actually PVP. It's just a thief and a mule bragging about how they never get killed while stealthing around on an empty shard.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I love how they made this PVP callout thread and then it turns out none of the Siegers in question actually PVP. It's just a thief and a mule bragging about how they never get killed while stealthing around on an empty shard.
Sometimes I think they think Stratics is the shard.... rather than Siege. They tend to spend more time here than in game. But what do I know... I don't spend much time on Siege either.

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Sometimes I think they think Stratics is the shard.... rather than Siege. They tend to spend more time here than in game. But what do I know... I don't spend much time on Siege either.
That's how I feel about general chat sometimes. 30 seconds for someone to die... 10 minutes of excuses or insults.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually with one character per account I'm the main character not a mule. :p

And as I've said oh one so slow on the uptake, I normally ride around which means I'm not stealthing, you can't stealth on horseback. I'm quite easy to find, it's just doing my skilled to survive hide in once found that's challenging. No lightweight is going to finish me off easily.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Actually with one character per account I'm the main character not a mule. :p

And as I've said oh one so slow on the uptake, I normally ride around which means I'm not stealthing, you can't stealth on horseback. I'm quite easy to find, it's just doing my skilled to survive hide in once found that's challenging. No lightweight is going to finish me off easily.
Please show me where you said you normally ride around? I must have missed that one too.

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm a stealther but it's for getting past side spawn to reach my target. I run around horseback most of the time so I'm visible and vulnerable to attack. Not much of a challenge but you could try beating some PvP training into me. :party:
For those that missed it...

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please show me where you said you normally ride around? I must have missed that one too.
That you did. Post 81, just past halfway down page 2, watch for my distinctive sig.

Heck, better just post it here for you.

"I'm a stealther but it's for getting past side spawn to reach my target. I run around horseback most of the time so I'm visible and vulnerable to attack. Not much of a challenge but you could try beating some PvP training into me. :party:"

If you need to confirm that quote of my past post, refer back to the first line of this posting for directions to it.

EDIT: *Bows to Corwyn* The extra mention may help. :)

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yous people need to back off. both sides stand down. what a troll fest.

Nothing wrong with a different playstyle once in a while. you dont like it,
don't play it. not cool to put people down over there preference.

the title of the thread was intended for the response it got and it got it
Hook, Line and Sinker...

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
That you did. Post 81, just past halfway down page 2, watch for my distinctive sig.

Heck, better just post it here for you.

"I'm a stealther but it's for getting past side spawn to reach my target. I run around horseback most of the time so I'm visible and vulnerable to attack. Not much of a challenge but you could try beating some PvP training into me. :party:"

If you need to confirm that quote of my past post, refer back to the first line of this posting for directions to it.

EDIT: *Bows to Corwyn* The extra mention may help. :)
Thanks, this only reinforces the law of probability.

Have a good one.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah well Siege PVMers can't hold a candle to us production shard PVMers! Sorry, feeling left out :D

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah well Siege PVMers can't hold a candle to us production shard PVMers! Sorry, feeling left out :D
Can't have that! :)

You do have that big advantage of insurance, though life without risk does eventually get lame I found out. Hopefully once the lameness sends you on the way out the door you'll stop by Siege as I did. It's a fun shard. :thumbup:

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can't have that! :)

You do have that big advantage of insurance, though life without risk does eventually get lame I found out. Hopefully once the lameness sends you on the way out the door you'll stop by Siege as I did. It's a fun shard. :thumbup:
Eh, I have enough risk in real life. Besides been playing a rather long time so apparently I'm ok with lameness... wonder what that says about me... Oh well. :beer:

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I believe Siege currently holds the record for the one PvM thing that keeps a score.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well honestly Rico can do his thing wearing only a death robe if he wants so he's not losing/risking anything. All a thief needs is people to wander around. Thus the thread.
Lol, this ^. Anyone else remember how West Brit Bank used to be swarmed with butt naked thieves? If they tried stealing something, and got caught and killed, no biggie, they didn't lose anything. If they stole something and got away with it, score! It was all Reward, no Risk.

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What? You think we can't handle Siege? You know what? Eight of us who have never been to Siege before will xfer over tonight and begin training skills and acquiring weapon and armor pieces.

We should be ready to pvp in about 6-8 months.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What? You think we can't handle Siege? You know what? Eight of us who have never been to Siege before will xfer over tonight and begin training skills and acquiring weapon and armor pieces.

Tried to xfer over to siege I got its not available so I went home.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL, you can't transfer to Siege silly. You actually have to build a character from scratch...one of the reasons I say the production shard PvPers can't handle it, they don't like retrain...la

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Welcome to the shard, and to be honest, you should be able to start PvP in a few weeks...la

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They tend to spend more time here than in game.
Really, how much time do I spend here and how much time do I spend in game? Oh and how old is your computer? Do you know you can have multiple programs open at the same time which allows us to have a browser open at the same time the game is open?

To be honest, I pop on usually when I am waiting for my two minute criminal timer to run out...la

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord

I can help ya along with that. Not sure what ya mean by xfer... But I have standing offers for Stratics folks that want to create some Siege in their play time. You do not have to give up anything you already have on any other shard. Siege can be yer back door Shard... Just sneak in, use a different name (or not, yer choice).

I promise you, if you ask for a place to stay, I know several that will offer that. I often host folks. Some stay and build here... Some leave a box of junk. I reserve the right to turn, smelt, unravel or other use as I will any items left over a year...

Seriously, Siege as it is right now is one of the most civilized game environments I have every played in. While Siege is not perfect, if you can take some time and figure it out, it is a great game. It is different. There are some really good folks there. Some of them will kill ya.