• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

please fix the huge lag

• Thread starter walter_mitty
  • Start date
  • Watchers 6

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I suggest we use the other thread for rants and outrage while keeping this thread for people who want to contribute data/ideas.

Nystul

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
MORE packetloss...

The ping lag started around 9am est for me. The packetloss slowly started creeping up around 4pm and has since "settled" around 10% or so. I still can't believe my BEST ping to thier router is 100+ when it should be in the teens (my average)...

Wish we would at least get a public word from an EA employee on at least any progress they've made in the past week or more. I personally would be pretty embarassed with the service they've been providing...

Code:
Host Name                                           IP Address         Hop     Ping Time        Ping Avg     % Loss      Pkts r/s              Ping best/worst
er-1-fe00.gsv.md.atlanticbb.net                     207.255.176.1      4       11ms             16ms         0%          4113 / 4125           8ms / 366ms
ge-5-2-126.hsa2.Baltimore1.Level3.net               4.78.142.25        5       12ms             14ms         0%          4123 / 4125           10ms / 157ms
so-6-1-0.mp2.Baltimore1.Level3.net                  4.68.112.73        6       12ms             19ms         0%          4123 / 4125           10ms / 133ms
ae-0-0.bbr2.Washington1.Level3.net                  4.68.128.210       7       15ms             18ms         0%          4121 / 4125           11ms / 145ms
ae-13-69.car3.Washington1.Level3.net                4.68.17.5          8       16ms             29ms         0%          4099 / 4125           12ms / 236ms
ELECTRONIC.car3.Washington1.Level3.net              4.79.169.74        9       15ms             16ms         0%          4122 / 4125           12ms / 141ms
fert07-eqx-iad.ea.com                               159.153.224.230    10      112ms            119ms        10%         3672 / 4125           110ms / 330ms
* Unknown Host *                                    159.153.233.35     11      113ms            115ms        10%         3682 / 4124           110ms / 166ms

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not sure who would bring us the news ... who would be responsible for network administration? I would think that would likely be handled by a whole different part of EA than the devs would normally come socialize here. I guess it would fall to Joanne to keep us in the loop.

(oops, honeymoon for our new community rep is over I guess ... that didn't last long)

Cynic

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What do you expect, its only a game! OOPS my bad we pay for this abuse. This was one of the better events ive played up to now. But now its just unplayable. Complaints have been pouring in for over a week now but it hasnt affected me till the last few days. My way of handling it was to just log out. They dont care to fix it and as they lose customers they will finally figure out maybe they should pay attension next time. If they have customers left to pay attension to!
They don't care about losing customers. If they cared about losing the UO playerbase then they would address our issues.

They've been losing customers for years now because they don't fix ****. Developers in this game actually waste time making fire colored cactus and items that face different directions and so on.. Way to many old problems but please by all means make sure we get more ****ing snow for x-mas.. That's all I need, more ****ing snow to add to the collection of 10 years of ****ing snow..

FIX THE LAG AND FORGET THE SNOW!

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*looks down at smoking remains of an olive branch*

edit: this post no longer makes sense without the flamewar that was removed.

Nystul

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
People wouldn't be half as angy if they'd acknowledge the problem
Well they did acknowledge it, but it's going on a lot longer than they said it has been. It would just be nice if they would at least communicate with the player base on an issue that is really making the game obviously unenjoyable for most of thier east coast player base, and also making it unplayable for a bulk of that player base.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
welp, 11:34 EST and the thread hit 2,100 views...you think there is a problem?

Xenobia

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh sorry I wasn't aware of the massive "Brainstorming" abilities on the stratics forum. Maybe they'll fly you in to look at the servers.

People wouldn't be half as angy if they'd acknowledge the problem
I hope they fly somebody in and soon...I can barely walk and my houses are almost spotless! It's unheard of I tell ya! I might be able to find something IF I CAN EVER MOVE! Come on guys....at least say something to us. Anything??? Hell even if ya gotta lie, just give us some glimmer of hope :sad4:

Shameful Joy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well people have stopped complaiming because there is no packet loss in the first part of the day, but ping is still high and come this afternoon I'm guessing the same problem will occur.

L

LeeHarvey

Im a tad confused, Ive had absolutely zero problems with lag these past two weeks or this morning. Im not trying to mock or gloat, but this problem must either be a whole lot smaller or a tad bit more complicated than everyone is making it out to be. Ive run 3 trace routes at different times and Ive not seen any probs with packet loss or even ping. Im not a lucky person by any means, so It tells me this problem may be a little more in depth than just replacing faulty hardware.

Once again, Im not here trying to start some crap or anything. Im definately not shaking any Pom-Poms for EA, but Ive played all hours of the day and not seen any of this.

S

sapphirediablo11

I believe it has to due with location but i don't know were everyone is from, but from the way it sounds selective people from sertain spots are fine and others are worse then ever.. :O

Xenobia

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe it has to due with location but i don't know were everyone is from, but from the way it sounds selective people from sertain spots are fine and others are worse then ever.. :O
I am in Spokane Washington and until recently I have been fine. My lag only started a few days ago but now it's really bad

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im a tad confused, Ive had absolutely zero problems with lag these past two weeks or this morning. Im not trying to mock or gloat, but this problem must either be a whole lot smaller or a tad bit more complicated than everyone is making it out to be. Ive run 3 trace routes at different times and Ive not seen any probs with packet loss or even ping. Im not a lucky person by any means, so It tells me this problem may be a little more in depth than just replacing faulty hardware.

Once again, Im not here trying to start some crap or anything. Im definately not shaking any Pom-Poms for EA, but Ive played all hours of the day and not seen any of this.
Which shard(s) do you play and which state (or country) are you in?

L

LeeHarvey

Which shard(s) do you play and which state (or country) are you in?
Great Lakes and Seige, and Im in Central Ky right now.

"fert08-eqx-iad.ea.com 159.153.224.234 18 42ms
* Unknown Host * 159.153.233.71 19 41ms"
These are my worst two hops, not great but definately not horrible.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From Colorado, this is what the last 4 hops into GL looks like for me at the moment:

HTML:
ae                                            4.68.17.133           13     224ms
ELECTRONIC.car3.Washington1.Level3.net        4.79.169.74           14     64ms
fert08                                        159.153.224.238       15     238ms
greatlakes.owo.com                            159.153.233.71        16     163ms

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ea.atdn.net 66.185.148.254 7 31ms
fert07-eqx-iad.ea.com 159.153.224.230 8 29ms
* Unknown Host * 159.153.233.59 9 31ms

last three lines of mine, also not bad

I've been getting lag spikes, and client crashes, but nothing like what others are getting... I play Legends and I'm in northern New Jersey

and you guys should check Joanne's post over here
http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=112807

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You know, as someone with some computer training, I find it interesting that while Dermott, Messiah and Tina put up legitimate concern traces, over half the other trace routes I've seen posted in these lag threads are where people are having trouble on the net backbone, their ISP or even their own in-home equipment - and no one's pointed them out.

The only time it is an EA issue, is if it is an EA owned server/router. That's the fert/edge machines, the owo.com machines, and any IPs between them. To an extent, it's an EX concern if the machine immediately upstream of theirs is lagging or losing packets, but it's not directly under their control and they'd need to call the provider of that link.

If you're seeing 3-digit ping numbers BEFORE then, and you're not on dial-up, then it's not an EA issue. This is especially true if you are seeing average numbers over 20, before you get off your own ISP and onto the net backbone.

To use Nystul's posts as an example, half his traces are showing legit issues with EA's servers. The other half are losing any relevance by there being bad average ping times or packet loss starting WAY upstream of EA.

Believe me, even playable lag at EA's end can seem atrocious, if something's happening on your ISP, or you get passed through a bad router on the net backbone - and in those cases, there's not much you can do about it.

If it's your personal router or modem (the first jump), you probably need to replace something at home, or make sure that something hasn't messed up the settings for either the router firewall or your computer's firewall.

The next few steps (ones where you see your ISP's name, not sprintnet, level3, att, etc.) are ones you need to call your ISP about and give them hell over.

If it's something in the middle, before it hits EA, you can try sending an email, but most of those services will notice those issues and get something fixed within a few hours, provided the person that is supposed to be watching the thruput monitors isn't sleeping or watching movies on their iPod.

IF we really want EA to fix the issue, we need to make sure that we only send them the traces that show the issue on their end. Sending them ones where there's an issue elsewhere only serves to weaken the case that there's an issue with their equipment.

To use a storm damage analogy, if you keep yelling a tree's down, blocking you from getting home, to your landlord, and you're constantly sending them pics on your cell of the one across a street 3 blocks away, they'll never know that you're referring to the one down on their property, across the driveway.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here's another trace route for GL that I just did. (This is going out from Colorado.)

HTML:
ge                                            68.86.105.1           3      13ms
te                                            68.86.103.1           4      15ms
* Unknown Host *                              68.86.91.17           5      12ms
pos                                           68.86.86.22           6      12ms
te                                            4.79.82.57            7      11ms
ae                                            4.68.107.190          8      20ms
ae                                            4.69.132.62           9      37ms
ae                                            4.69.132.114          10     36ms
ae                                            4.69.132.70           11     63ms
ae                                            4.69.134.154          12     63ms
ae                                            4.68.17.133           13     64ms
fert08                                        159.153.224.238       15     251ms
greatlakes.owo.com                            159.153.233.71        16     162ms

Shameful Joy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You know, as someone with some computer training, I find it interesting that while Dermott, Messiah and Tina put up legitimate concern traces, over half the other trace routes I've seen posted in these lag threads are where people are having trouble on the net backbone, their ISP or even their own in-home equipment - and no one's pointed them out.

The only time it is an EA issue, is if it is an EA owned server/router. That's the fert/edge machines, the owo.com machines, and any IPs between them. To an extent, it's an EX concern if the machine immediately upstream of theirs is lagging or losing packets, but it's not directly under their control and they'd need to call the provider of that link.

If you're seeing 3-digit ping numbers BEFORE then, and you're not on dial-up, then it's not an EA issue. This is especially true if you are seeing average numbers over 20, before you get off your own ISP and onto the net backbone.

To use Nystul's posts as an example, half his traces are showing legit issues with EA's servers. The other half are losing any relevance by there being bad average ping times or packet loss starting WAY upstream of EA.

Believe me, even playable lag at EA's end can seem atrocious, if something's happening on your ISP, or you get passed through a bad router on the net backbone - and in those cases, there's not much you can do about it.

If it's your personal router or modem (the first jump), you probably need to replace something at home, or make sure that something hasn't messed up the settings for either the router firewall or your computer's firewall.

The next few steps (ones where you see your ISP's name, not sprintnet, level3, att, etc.) are ones you need to call your ISP about and give them hell over.

If it's something in the middle, before it hits EA, you can try sending an email, but most of those services will notice those issues and get something fixed within a few hours, provided the person that is supposed to be watching the thruput monitors isn't sleeping or watching movies on their iPod.

IF we really want EA to fix the issue, we need to make sure that we only send them the traces that show the issue on their end. Sending them ones where there's an issue elsewhere only serves to weaken the case that there's an issue with their equipment.

To use a storm damage analogy, if you keep yelling a tree's down, blocking you from getting home, to your landlord, and you're constantly sending them pics on your cell of the one across a street 3 blocks away, they'll never know that you're referring to the one down on their property, across the driveway.

Where are U seeing this? Every one posted has been the same EA router problem. For the last 3 days GL has been empty, I guess everyone home router went out at same time eh?

Xenobia

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just cannot imagine everyone's ISP and or router going out at the same time and I also have been looking at the tracerouts sent in. It seems to deffinitely point to one of their access points. Sorry, but I disagree with ya.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Why don't you folks actually try READING what I said, instead of automatically flaming someone AGREEING with you, because you decide on a glance that they are not?

Simply Put -

DON'T BOTHER WITH SUBMITTING TRACE ROUTES THAT SHOW PROBLEMS OTHER THAN EA'S. IT ONLY CONFUSES ISSUES AND WEAKENS OUR CASE THAT THERE IS AN ISSUE AT EA'S END.

Example: The Trace by Beastmaster in one of the other lag threads (That you replied to there, Shameful Joy) shows a lag event in the att.com section, two jumps before it gets to EA. it is therefore impossible to tell if ANY lag at later IPs, shown after that point in a trace/poll, is native to that IP, or a result of going through that laggy AT&T machine along the way.

ONLY traces where the lag BEGINS at EA will be relevant to arguing that there's a problem with the EA machines. It's all these traces showing up with lag BEFORE it gets to EA, that has gotten Joanne and the others thinking that it's a Net problem, NOT an EA problem....

Geesh......

(Note: Tina's trace, immediately above Shameful's, is EXACTLY the kind of trace we SHOULD be sending)

S

sapphirediablo11

Well I just wanted to help you folks out and let you know about the internet problems that are happening this morning.

We are concerned about the latency issues - no doubt about it, but some of them are just out of our control.

Sorry everyone, I know how frustrating latency is and I want it to be resolved quicker then you can say, "Lag monster be gone!"

Now, if only that would work. :)
it would see it is still being looked into :D

Shameful Joy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why don't you folks actually try READING what I said, instead of automatically flaming someone AGREEING with you, because you decide on a glance that they are not?

Simply Put -

DON'T BOTHER WITH SUBMITTING TRACE ROUTES THAT SHOW PROBLEMS OTHER THAN EA'S. IT ONLY CONFUSES ISSUES AND WEAKENS OUR CASE THAT THERE IS AN ISSUE AT EA'S END.

Example: The Trace by Beastmaster in one of the other lag threads (That you replied to there, Shameful Joy) shows a lag event in the att.com section, two jumps before it gets to EA. it is therefore impossible to tell if ANY lag at later IPs, shown after that point in a trace/poll, is native to that IP, or a result of going through that laggy AT&T machine along the way.

ONLY traces where the lag BEGINS at EA will be relevant to arguing that there's a problem with the EA machines. It's all these traces showing up with lag BEFORE it gets to EA, that has gotten Joanne and the others thinking that it's a Net problem, NOT an EA problem....

Geesh......

(Note: Tina's trace, immediately above Shameful's, is EXACTLY the kind of trace we SHOULD be sending)
As I was saying 90% of the traces ARE like that. I did read what you posted

Bob_the_fart_guy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Erm...ok I'll be the FIRST to admit that I know NOTHING about the inner-workings of computer, or "ping" (whatever that is) or crap like that. Yeah, I'm a computer-handicapped person. But dag-gone-it green is GREEN which is the color of the MONEY that I'm shelling out to play this game for OVER three years now.

I've posted once already here about my frustration of this issue.

Are we the PAYING customer going to get an answer or not? Heck, I'd be at least satisfied with something like: "With the updates we are going to implement on the new gargoyle expansion we do appologize for the lag. We ask for your patience". But no...not even that as of yet.

*awaits reply*

C

chuckoatl

I'm having problems with the lag, but the packet loss is horrid. I'm losing 10-20%. I have heard of loss as much as 70%, something is definately buggered.

Bob_the_fart_guy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
!!!! - In reply to Tina Small - !!!!

I'll post there as well. Thank you for suggesting that I post the complaint there. Hopefully my voice will speak on behalf of more than one players.

I couldn't find where Tina was talking about. So I searched for myself...send your complaints here: https://customersupport.ea.com/loginapp/login.do?curl=http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/home.php&surl=http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/cci/ecp_redirect.php?ext_vars=cF9zaWQ9aldMZDItaWomcF9hY2Nlc3NpYmlsaXR5PTAmcF9yZWRpcmVjdD0mcF9sdmE9JnBfc3A9Y0Y5emNtTm9QU1p3WDNOdmNuUmZZbms5Sm5CZlozSnBaSE52Y25ROUpuQmZjbTkzWDJOdWREMDRNVFlzT0RFMkpuQmZjSEp2WkhNOU55dzNOamttY0Y5allYUnpQVEFtY0Y5d2RqMHlMamMyT1Nad1gyTjJQU1p3WDNObFlYSmphRjkwZVhCbFBXRnVjM2RsY25NdWMyVmhjbU5vWDI1c0puQmZjR0ZuWlQweCZwX2xpPSZwX25leHRfcGFnZT1hc2sucGhw

I sent my own response, I hope you will do so also. Ultimately, I hope this issue is resolved and I don't mean to cause trouble. I just want my Ultima Online back. :(

Cutter

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UOTrace for 11/15/2008

Code:
Host Name                                  IP Address        Hop    Ping Time   Ping Avg   % Loss    Pkts r/s         Ping best/worst

* Unknown Host *                           12.83.63.137      5      20ms        20ms       0%        251 / 251        20ms / 24ms
asn3356-level3.eqnwnj.sbcglobal.net        151.164.89.250    6      20ms        27ms       0%        250 / 250        20ms / 214ms
ae-31-51.ebr1.Newark1.Level3.net           4.68.99.30        7      22ms        26ms       0%        250 / 250        21ms / 46ms
ae-1-100.ebr2.Newark1.Level3.net           4.69.132.22       8      25ms        26ms       0%        250 / 250        21ms / 35ms
ae-4.ebr3.Washington1.Level3.net           4.69.132.101      9      30ms        29ms       0%        250 / 250        23ms / 37ms
ae-83-83.csw3.Washington1.Level3.net       4.69.134.170      10     24ms        28ms       0%        250 / 250        23ms / 66ms
ae-33-89.car3.Washington1.Level3.net       4.68.17.133       11     24ms        29ms       0%        250 / 250        23ms / 212ms
ELECTRONIC.car3.Washington1.Level3.net     4.79.169.74       12     24ms        23ms       0%        250 / 250        23ms / 32ms
fert07-eqx-iad.ea.com                      159.153.224.230   13     122ms       [B]129ms[/B]      [B]9%[/B]        226 / 250        121ms / 303ms
* Unknown Host *                           159.153.233.35    14     122ms       [B]121ms[/B]      [B]6% [/B]       233 / 250        120ms / 146ms
Lag is now present all day and night till about 1 am it seems...

All I know is if I do a tracert to yahoo.com, I have a steady ping of around 21, with 0% Loss.
My download and upload speeds are also normal on all speed tests, and my tcp/ip settings are as they should be via drtcp.
Before this lag issue started I had always had a steady ping of around 17 to my shard, with no packetloss ever.

Nystul

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here's mine so far:

Code:
Host Name                                           IP Address         Hop     Ping Time        Ping Avg     % Loss      Pkts r/s              Ping best/worst
er-1-fe00.gsv.md.atlanticbb.net                     207.255.176.1      4       22ms             18ms         0%          1462 / 1472           8ms / 307ms
ge-5-2-126.hsa2.Baltimore1.Level3.net               4.78.142.25        5       19ms             16ms         0%          1470 / 1472           10ms / 174ms
so-6-1-0.mp2.Baltimore1.Level3.net                  4.68.112.73        6       16ms             21ms         0%          1467 / 1471           10ms / 91ms
ae-0-0.bbr2.Washington1.Level3.net                  4.68.128.210       7       23ms             19ms         0%          1471 / 1471           12ms / 151ms
ae-13-69.car3.Washington1.Level3.net                4.68.17.5          8       22ms             24ms         0%          1466 / 1471           12ms / 225ms
ELECTRONIC.car3.Washington1.Level3.net              4.79.169.74        9       30ms             18ms         0%          1468 / 1471           12ms / 51ms
fert07-eqx-iad.ea.com                               159.153.224.230    10      129ms            121ms        9%          1324 / 1471           110ms / 324ms
* Unknown Host *                                    159.153.233.35     11      122ms            116ms        8%          1342 / 1471           111ms / 264ms
:X

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got this traceroute earlier today:

HTML:
Host Name                                     IP Address            Hop    Ping Time
* Unknown Host *                              68.86.91.17           5      12ms
pos                                           68.86.86.22           6      11ms
te                                            4.79.82.57            7      10ms
ae                                            4.68.107.190          8      16ms
ae                                            4.69.132.62           9      37ms
ae                                            4.69.132.114          10     36ms
ae                                            4.69.132.70           11     72ms
ae                                            4.69.134.154          12     70ms
ae                                            4.68.17.133           13     65ms
fert08                                        159.153.224.238       15     327ms
greatlakes.owo.com                            159.153.233.71        16     163ms
And got this one just now:

HTML:
Host Name                                     IP Address            Hop    Ping Time
* Unknown Host *                              68.86.91.17           5      9ms
pos                                           68.86.86.22           6      12ms
te                                            4.79.82.57            7      11ms
ae                                            4.68.107.190          8      22ms
ae                                            4.69.132.62           9      36ms
ae                                            4.69.132.114          10     35ms
ae                                            4.69.132.70           11     66ms
ae                                            4.69.134.154          12     68ms
ae                                            4.68.17.133           13     67ms
ELECTRONIC.car3.Washington1.Level3.net        4.79.169.74           14     533ms
fert08                                        159.153.224.238       15     178ms
There's definitely some odd stuff going on.

Does anyone know how to make the UOTrace application give you packet loss info? I am only getting host name, IP Address, hop and ping time info when I run it. Can't figure out how to make it give me the rest of the info it should provide (ping avg., % loss, pkts r/s and ping best/worst).

Cutter

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There's definitely some odd stuff going on.

Does anyone know how to make the UOTrace application give you packet loss info? I am only getting host name, IP Address, hop and ping time info when I run it. Can't figure out how to make it give me the rest of the info it should provide (ping avg., % loss, pkts r/s and ping best/worst).
yES, After you run the trace, hit the button that says "Poll"
you can also poll an individual hop by right clicking it.

You may need to go to options first, and enable advanced settings.

btw, incase people do not know...the uotrace utility will also ping, traceroute, and poll any server...not just the uo servers.
Handy to check your ping to other places to determine if it is only uo or not...

Bob_the_fart_guy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Time to cut the crap.

After a good friend of mine, who plays as Raistlin of the guild: UET Just got done telling me that he spent nearly half an hour on the phone (for the 3rd time, adding up to a total of an hour and a half) with the people most responsible for hosting the game we come to know as: Ultima Online finally, finally got a-hold of a real-living human being. They assured him that the dev team were now working on the issue and even came in on their day off to resolve this issue.

In case you are as aggressive as he is...here is the number he used to contact them: 1-703-934-0169 you will need to be belligerent and demand by saying: "I want technical support" at least three times when asked where you wish to be directed. For some, this phone number will be a relief as to the seemingly usless posts to this site.

I hope this helps. Ultimately I'm not here to cause trouble, I just want answers like the rest of you. And want nothing more than to have the smooth game-play that Ultima Online has always offered.

E

ElRay

I think you guys just need to run some spyware removal or something, I mean theres NO POSSIBLE way these problems are from EAs end.

Maybe run some anti virus too or something, I bet half of you have a Best Buy tool bar or something running like that.

I say this because EA exhibits the HIGHEST QUALITY PROGRAMMING in the mmorpg world, and it shows, especially in this game!!

<--------is having ZERO problems with lag(but im not logged in though)

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yES, After you run the trace, hit the button that says "Poll"
you can also poll an individual hop by right clicking it.

You may need to go to options first, and enable advanced settings.
Thank you very much...polling provides some very interesting results! Got this after letting it poll the GL server about 250 times.

HTML:
Host Name                                                       IP Address            Hop    Ping Time   Ping Avg   % Loss    Pkts r/s    Ping best/worst
te                                                              68.86.103.1           4      8ms         10ms       0%        251 / 251   7ms / 107ms
* Unknown Host *                                                68.86.91.17           5      9ms         10ms       0%        251 / 251   8ms / 38ms
pos                                                             68.86.86.22           6      12ms        12ms       0%        251 / 251   10ms / 31ms
te                                                              4.79.82.57            7      10ms        19ms       0%        250 / 251   10ms / 219ms
ae                                                              4.68.107.190          8      14ms        17ms       0%        251 / 251   11ms / 28ms
ae                                                              4.69.132.62           9      38ms        36ms       0%        251 / 251   34ms / 52ms
ae                                                              4.69.132.114          10     36ms        37ms       0%        251 / 251   34ms / 58ms
ae                                                              4.69.132.70           11     75ms        69ms       0%        251 / 251   64ms / 86ms
ae                                                              4.69.134.154          12     65ms        69ms       0%        250 / 251   63ms / 91ms
ae                                                              4.68.17.133           13     65ms        69ms       0%        250 / 251   62ms / 252ms
ELECTRONIC.car3.Washington1.Level3.net                          4.79.169.74           14     66ms        65ms       0%        251 / 251   63ms / 74ms
fert08                                                          159.153.224.238       15     164ms       170ms      8%        230 / 251   163ms / 362ms
greatlakes.owo.com                                              159.153.233.71        16     166ms       163ms      9%        226 / 250   161ms / 373ms

Bob_the_fart_guy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh yay...I just got a canned response in my e-mail. *woop-de-doo* That completely ignored my issue. I'll wait till about Tuesday before I call the number also.

And no, I don't have a "Best Buy" toolbar. And my computer is completely virus free, I even de-fraged it. No extra toolbars what-so-ever. I use Firefox browser and run on WindowsXP. Jugging from nearing 200 posts in this thread it simply must be on UO's end, not "ours".

A

~Antzy~Pantz~

I think you guys just need to run some spyware removal or something, I mean theres NO POSSIBLE way these problems are from EAs end.

Maybe run some anti virus too or something, I bet half of you have a Best Buy tool bar or something running like that.

I say this because EA exhibits the HIGHEST QUALITY PROGRAMMING in the mmorpg world, and it shows, especially in this game!!

That has got to be the funniest thing i've heard all day. Don't you think us people with this horrible lag have attempted every resource to make sure it's not us? I know I have, I've done scan after scan, defrag and anything else possible. Seriously, unless you know what it feels like to move 2 steps then freeze please go back to enjoying your lag free game. Until it is fixed there will be complaint after complaint and you are more then welcome to skip this thread completely.

Shameful Joy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The lag is terrible right now on Atlantic.
At least for me and a few others I know playing.
We seem to be doing the 3 step freeze dance.
Unplayable at this point here.

An update on the issue would be most welcome.

On GL, today is worse than ever, this is ridiculous

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Day 4. My traces look identical each day. Can't go more than 3 steps without pausing. To quote Rachel, an update on the issue would be most welcome.

C:\Users\kitiara>tracert atlantic.owo.com

Tracing route to central-ae2.owo.com [159.153.233.23]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms xxx
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 8 ms 9 ms 9 ms xxx.chicago.comcast.net [xxx]
4 10 ms 8 ms 9 ms xxx.chicago.comcast.net [xxx]
5 12 ms 13 ms 11 ms xxx.chicago.comcast.net [xxx]
6 11 ms 12 ms 15 ms 68.86.90.49
7 13 ms 11 ms 11 ms xe-9-0-0.edge1.Chicago2.Level3.net [4.71.248.33]

8 12 ms 12 ms 10 ms vlan52.ebr2.Chicago2.Level3.net [4.69.138.190]
9 46 ms 53 ms 53 ms ae-2.ebr2.Washington1.Level3.net [4.69.132.70]
10 54 ms 53 ms 53 ms ae-92-92.csw4.Washington1.Level3.net [4.69.134.1
58]
11 41 ms 42 ms 43 ms ae-43-99.car3.Washington1.Level3.net [4.68.17.19
7]
12 42 ms 42 ms 43 ms ELECTRONIC.car3.Washington1.Level3.net [4.79.169
.74]
13 139 ms * 139 ms fert08-eqx-iad.ea.com [159.153.224.238]
14 139 ms 149 ms 141 ms 159.153.233.23

Trace complete.

soze

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

That has got to be the funniest thing i've heard all day. Don't you think us people with this horrible lag have attempted every resource to make sure it's not us? I know I have, I've done scan after scan, defrag and anything else possible. Seriously, unless you know what it feels like to move 2 steps then freeze please go back to enjoying your lag free game. Until it is fixed there will be complaint after complaint and you are more then welcome to skip this thread completely.
Agreed....

Come on ELRAY....you are seriously underestimating the intelligence of the playing community here....most people would eliminate there own computers as the problem before thinking it could be an EA's issue. Just because you dont have the lag doesnt mean its not happening...For God's sake...you know how many posts there have been about this issue in the past two weeks? Far too many for it not to be an unusual problem.

E

ElRay

I probably should of ended that post

/endsarcasm

I figured most people would of caught the sarcastic tone

soze

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL should have picked it up EL ray by that Not logged in statement

Shameful Joy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess with lack of in game help, people duping items, people speedhacking at will, people unattended macroing, people openly using any and all foul language, heck I even saw a guy spamming a swastika over his head for hours at Brit bank, and of course the UO Community Coordinator basicly flipping the bird at paying customers asking for not resolution but just info, I should of guessed this is how it would end after 10 years.

You can shop for your new game at mmorpg.com

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Huger lurker for years although i rarely post here. Chiming in to say that i am really blown away by the lack of response to the problem here. Unplayable lag and packetloss on my end since last Thursday. I understand that it isnt effecting everyone. My home is in the northeast US, i travelled this weekend to the mid atlantic (Wash DC area). Brought my laptop on the trip and had no issues with lag during both peak and off peak times. However, back home, the game is unplayable. Fine after server up - fine at three AM, unplayable crap most other times. My eight accounts will have their billing information removed this Friday.

Hear this.

(fanboi's may want to cover your ears)...

I PAY YOU MONEY to play this game for fun and mindless relaxation.
I am not here to help you test new clients.
I am not here to help you find programming bugs.
And I am damned sure not here to to help you triage connection issues.

Shameful Joy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Huger lurker for years although i rarely post here. Chiming in to say that i am really blown away by the lack of response to the problem here. Unplayable lag and packetloss on my end since last Thursday. I understand that it isnt effecting everyone. My home is in the northeast US, i travelled this weekend to the mid atlantic (Wash DC area). Brought my laptop on the trip and had no issues with lag during both peak and off peak times. However, back home, the game is unplayable. Fine after server up - fine at three AM, unplayable crap most other times. My eight accounts will have their billing information removed this Friday.

Hear this.

(fanboi's may want to cover your ears)...

I PAY YOU MONEY to play this game for fun and mindless relaxation.
I am not here to help you test new clients.
I am not here to help you find programming bugs.
And I am damned sure not here to to help you triage connection issues.

Careful Woot, some of the lambs will say your showing "Bad Manners" by insisting on wanting information on why your not recieving a service you pay for, how dare you!! Just pay money and sit on your hands and wait!

calibek

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The lag is terrible right now on Atlantic.
At least for me and a few others I know playing.
We seem to be doing the 3 step freeze dance.
Unplayable at this point here.

An update on the issue would be most welcome.
Bad for me too there. I use KR which works great on my computer but every 4 steps i freeze for about a second. When you are fighting monsters that second is the difference between life and death. I'm closing my account. I'll be back when either they fix it or stygian abyss comes out.